PDA

View Full Version : Returning Sunshine to KC

CosmicPal
10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
The media analyzes our season thus far...some interesting stuff, but mostly some major Chiefs ribbing...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7740755

Analyze This: Returning sunshine to KC

(Sept. 30, 2004) -- Our crew of analysts are a helpful bunch. When they're not saving children from a burning orphanage or helping old ladies cross the street, they're contemplating ways to help out a football team in need.

It's too bad there are some 0-3 teams in the league, but the one that's been sending shockwaves throughout is the Chiefs, who dropped their first three games for the first time since 1980. Last year, Kansas City lost three games in total!

Kansas City, our rousing roundtable has come to your rescue! We asked each analyst what he thought the Chiefs needed to do to turn their season around. For some, it didn't take long to answer, but for others, a deeper look offered some intriguing suggestions that may reach the heart of the matters at Arrowhead.

GIL BRANDT

"Here's some food for thought: Kansas City's first three games last year were against teams that ultimately won 15 times total. This year, the combined 2003 win total of their first three opponents was 26. So their schedule appears to be tougher this year than last year. Also after three games in 2003, the Chiefs were plus-4 in turnovers; they're plus-2 this year. You might think that makes no difference, but it really does. What's also been missing is their special teams dominance. By this point last year, the Chiefs had a kickoff return, a punt return and an interception return for touchdowns. If the Chiefs want to get back on track, they have to find a way to get the receivers more involved. Obviously the Chiefs are happy to run the ball, but they must also throw with some consistency. They also have to force more turnovers defensively. But the biggest thing, and I don't know how to correct this, is that they need to get Dante Hall reinvolved in the special teams game. Opponents are kicking the ball away from him or squibbing it downfield, and that's severely limiting his ability to help the Chiefs start with good field position or break one for a score. Teams will continue to do that against Kansas City, so once they figure out a way to change that they'll improve."

VIC CARUCCI

"Saying the Chiefs have defensive problems is almost a cliché. Improving their defense would certainly go a long way toward improving their season. But the Chiefs also have offensive issues to address -- and they're all in the passing game. Quarterback Trent Green clearly is pressing to make big plays that he thinks he needs to make to pick up the slack for the defensive shortcomings. As a result, he is not reading coverages well and just seems to be taking far too many unnecessary risks that backfire. Green needs to stay within himself and make plays that are there, rather than forcing them. Of course, it doesn't help that Green doesn't have much in the way of outside speed at receiver, thus giving defenses little concern about getting beat deep. For that matter, he has almost no big-play targets beyond his great tight end, Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs still have an outstanding running game with Priest Holmes -- who can pile up big yards even when he isn't totally healthy -- but the more they struggle throwing the ball, the harder it will become for Holmes to make the most of his game-breaking skills."

SHANNON SHARPE

"Nothing. The ship has sailed. All the good players are gone. They didn't pick anybody up in the offseason, rather they decided to stick with what they had and bring in a new coach. So now they're stuck and it won't get any better. "

ADAM SCHEFTER

"To turn around their season, the Chiefs can't view what is happening the way us media types do. The way we think about it is like this: Have you seen the Chiefs schedule? It's a veritable murderer's row. At Baltimore on Monday night, at Jacksonville, home for back-to-back games against Atlanta and Indianapolis, back-to-back road games at Tampa Bay and New Orleans, before returning home for a Monday nighter versus New England. Sheesh, it's amazing they don't play the Steelers from the 70's or the Niners from the 80's, either. We media types can debate whether the Chiefs are doomed. But they have to adopt one of the biggest clichés of all time: Play them one at a time. They must concentrate on trying to beat Baltimore Monday night, doing the right things, playing sounder defense, getting more production out of the wide receivers and realize this season is not even a quarter of the way over and there is plenty of time to go."

TROY AIKMAN

"There's no simple answer to what Kansas City needs to do to turn its season around. There are a number of things that have led to Kansas City starting the year out 0-3. The defense was porous the first two games of the season. The offense, which led the NFL in scoring last year, struggled last week against Houston in the red zone. Penalties have cost the team critical field position and nullified big plays. The Chiefs must improve in all of these areas if they're to dig out of an 0-3 start."

PAT KIRWAN

"The Kansas City Chiefs dodged a few bullets last year when Dante Hall returned two punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns early on. Teams are not going to put themselves in the position of letting Hall beat them again. The defensive coordinator was fired but none of the 11 starters who finished last season were replaced. The defense needs more talent, not a new coach. The Chiefs have until Oct. 19 to make a trade for a defensive player or two. It's hard to do, but KC is built for now. One or two more losses and the season is over. Last year, the team gave up 48 points in the first three games; this year they have surrendered 83 points. Last year, the offense scored 110 points in the first three games; this year 62. The interesting thing is, late last year KC lost three games when it scored a combined 66 points. Maybe people have caught up with the offense? The wide receivers don't scare anyone; get some new receivers."

CRIS COLLINSWORTH

"The funny thing is that Kansas City was dominating Houston last week. It outgained the Texans and held Domanick Davis in check. Priest Holmes had a big day for the Chiefs. But the interception return for a touchdown (when the team was going in to score) was the big blow. The Chiefs now are just finding a way to lose games. I've played on some good teams that started slow and it gets easier each week to find a way to self destruct. And it's tough to get out of the hole. It doesn't get any easier this week as they go to Baltimore and Jacksonville. The Chiefs can go from Super Bowl contender to out of the race real quick. The only good news is that the AFC West isn't as tough and it might take only eight or nine wins to win it. Denver is still struggling without Clinton Portis. The Raiders are starting a backup quaterback (although he might be better than the starter). And San Diego is still struggling."

GREGG EASTERBROOK

"Last season, the Chiefs finished 13-3 but had one of the league's weakest defenses -- terrible statistically and it surrendered 45 points twice in December. Yet in the offseason, Kansas City did nothing to bring in defensive help, and even used its second and fourth draft picks on offensive backups. So far, the Chiefs defense is allowing 29 points per game; that's almost exactly the 27 points per game the Chiefs allowed in the second half of 2003. The Chiefs' decision to do nothing about defense was weird, and seems to guarantee a disappointing 2004. Thus my guess is there is nothing Kansas City can do to turn around the season, because it's too late to undo offseason complacency. Either that, or somehow get the standings themselves turned around -- then 0-3 would become 3-0!"

BOOMER ESIASON

"Trade the entire defense for Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, if they'll do that. "

CosmicPal
10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
BOOMER ESIASON

"Trade the entire defense for Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, if they'll do that. "

Hey Boomer- you make a better comedian than you ever did as a professional football player. I'm not trying to be funny- just stating the facts.

CosmicPal
10-03-2004, 11:30 PM
SHANNON SHARPE

"Nothing. The ship has sailed. All the good players are gone. They didn't pick anybody up in the offseason, rather they decided to stick with what they had and bring in a new coach. So now they're stuck and it won't get any better. "

All the good players are gone? Are you fuggin shitten me? Let's see who's gone?

Roaf? Nope

Holmes? Nope

Tony G? Nope

Dante Hall? Nope

Trent Green? Nope

Will Shields? Nope

Tony Richardson? Nope

Jerome Woods? Nope

Yeah, Shannon, I say all the good players are gone..dumbazz...whatever you're smoking, don't pass it my way

CosmicPal
10-04-2004, 08:26 AM
bump

(surprised nobody has an opinion on this article)

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 08:29 AM
bump

(surprised nobody has an opinion on this article)

Maybe because I posted this article yesterday here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100343

CosmicPal
10-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Maybe because I posted this article yesterday here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100343

Oh...

Well, I didn't see that smartazz. :D

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Oh...

Well, I didn't see that smartazz. :D