PDA

View Full Version : Anybody notice the difference in the kind of athlete that KC puts on the field?

chief mohawk
10-04-2004, 09:07 AM
I was just watching sportscenter and all the highlights, and just looking at all the plays that these different players made just shows how bad we have drafted over the last several years. we have few physically gifted athletes, guys that are big, strong, fluid playmakers. something has to be said for our scouting department. :shake:

jspchief
10-04-2004, 09:15 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing while watching games yesterday. I saw so many plays where I said to myself "no one on the Chiefs is capable of that". I think it's so bad that we've begun to think that mediocre players on this team are good, just because they make run of the mill plays. The sad part is that even the sh*tty teams like TB and Arizona have guys that are playmakers, and all we have is Priest.

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 09:15 AM
You know I was thinking the same thing. Weird, :hmmm: I bet we are not the only Chief nation fans seeing this either. Hopefully King Carl is paying attention...

Watching TO, Favre, etc make those plays. See Denver drive in the last mintue and put the game away. We just are not there. I saw the sportscenter highlights and was just sitting there coming to the realization that we just are not at that level. Time to regroup and get some better athletes in here and quit going the frigging safe route. I want a Super Bowl not 9-7, 10-6 13-3 and 8-8 seasons.

chief mohawk
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
How hard would it be to go in front of the media and the fans to defend the play of some of the players that king carl gives you to try and win week in and week out? sure they need to be coached better but the lack of true athletes at multiple postions on our team is silly! wide reciever,corner, and linebacker are glaring needs. watching other games and commentators refering to 3rd, 4th round guys making plays for their teams makes me sick thinking about our drafting abilities.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
There is a noticeable difference between watching a HIGHLIGHT reel, and watching an entire game.

ChiefsFanatic
10-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Watching some of the no-name receivers make plays yesterday, I kept thnking that they all looked big, strong, and fast, and that our guys look smaler and weaker.

Look at Hymes tonight, and Nate Burleson (sp) in Minnesota, Caldwell in San Diego, then look at Horn and Parker. The just don't look like they belong in the same league physically.

Edit: Ok, I checked them out. They are only an inch or two taller, and only 5-15 heavier, but they do look more physical when playing.

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 09:38 AM
There is a noticeable difference between watching a HIGHLIGHT reel, and watching an entire game.

Ya think?:hmmm:

How about watching our corners get toasted again and again and we sign acorner who has done nothing ( Burntee ) to a big contract. You watch that? Did you watch Hicks sign a big money contract after doing nothing last year? Did you watch what the wide recievers did this wekend that we could have taken in the draft?

I hop King Carl is watching and learning.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Ya think?:hmmm:

How about watching our corners get toasted again and again and we sign acorner who has done nothing ( Burntee ) to a big contract. You watch that? Did you watch Hicks sign a big money contract after doing nothing last year? Did you watch what the wide recievers did this wekend that we could have taken in the draft?

I hop King Carl is watching and learning.
The draft IMO is a crapshoot. I would have rather taken a WR, but that wouldn't have won us any games. I'm more upset about us not picking up any FA's.

MichaelH
10-04-2004, 09:42 AM
I watched the Falcons/Panthers game and said those very words numerous times about the Falcons defense. If anyone wants to see how a defense should play, watch the Falcons.

jspchief
10-04-2004, 09:42 AM

I wasn't watching highlight reels. I was sitting at a sports bar watching all the games. At any given time I could look up at a TV and see a DB breaking up a pass that required athleticism that our guys don't display. Or a LB running a guy down from the backside. Or a safety making a great open field tackle, or laying a hit. Or a WR leaping up and ripping a ball out of the air.

These aren't highlights. These are plays that happen 20 times a game, in every game. We don't have many gifted athletes. We have WRs that run precise routes, or block well...but none that can steal a reception out of the grasp of the DB. We have LBs that play with heart, and D-lineman with motors that run non-stop. We just don't have that many guys that really make you say "wow, how did he do that?" 95% of our guys try their hardest on every single play, but it still takes gang-tackling to bring a RB down.

PastorMikH
10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Good to see you posting Chief_Mohawk! BTW, I am in need of a haircut.:)

I have started to think that our talent scouts need to be upgraded A LOT! We seem to drool over players no one else wants. I have watched several players and wondered why we left them on the draft board to take a player that we let go.

ChiefsFanatic
10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
RaShaun Woods caught a TD last night....

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
The draft IMO is a crapshoot. I would have rather taken a WR, but that wouldn't have won us any games. I'm more upset about us not picking up any FA's.

I agree with you on the draft. and no a WR wouldn't have fixed us this year but it could have gotten us one more piece of the rebuilding block we are staring in the face of having to tolerate.....This is a pisser..Seeing all those plays being made and all we have is Priest and Tony G...In 16 years of the King Carl era we have had DT, Priest and Tong G thats it.

In 16 years King Carl has not brought in through the draft a single playmaker at the skill positions of WR, QB or RB. That unto itself warrants being shown the door.

Chris Meck
10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh, come on.

The draft is a PART of building a team. When you're drafting low due to winning seasons, you don't get to draft the best playmakers.

Trent Green was a pretty good pick-up.
So was Andre Rison for a year or two.
How about Neil Smith?
Dale Carter for a few years?
Hasty?
Woods?
Will Shields is a HOF'er.
Marcus Allen was a nice pick-up.
Okoye.
Gonzales, of course.

That's just off the top of my head.

We're not playing well right now, it's true, but the idea that we've never gotten any talent is stupid.

I bet y'all were screaming for Hugh Douglas too, weren't ya?

Chris

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Oh, come on.

The draft is a PART of building a team. When you're drafting low due to winning seasons, you don't get to draft the best playmakers.

How about Neil Smith?
Hasty?
Woods?
Okoye.
Gonzales, of course.

That's just off the top of my head.

We're not playing well right now, it's true, but the idea that we've never gotten any talent is stupid.

I bet y'all were screaming for Hugh Douglas too, weren't ya?

Chris
There are 2 draft comparison threads recently done on this bb. Compared our drafts for the last 16 years to other teams drafts. Apples to apples. Go look at the results and come back with a more informed opinion.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-04-2004, 10:25 AM
The sad part is that even the sh*tty teams like TB and Arizona have guys that are playmakers, and all we have is Priest.
And Gonzalez, Richardson, Green, Shields, Roaf, Waters, Weigmann, Hall...

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
I wasn't watching highlight reels. I was sitting at a sports bar watching all the games. At any given time I could look up at a TV and see a DB breaking up a pass that required athleticism that our guys don't display.

Odd.

Who is it that's leading the NFL in interceptions right now? Bob Dole can't seem to think of his name...

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
here are the threads:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100201

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99749

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Odd.

Who is it that's leading the NFL in interceptions right now? Bob Dole can't seem to think of his name...
Hey Bob I know. BigRedChief has been a Warfield basher from Day one but those interceptions should have been easy ones to a 6 million a year NFL cornerback. you would expect him to make those plays. Happens every game in the NFL just not a lot on the Chiefs so when we see it happen it stands out more. IMHO

go bowe
10-04-2004, 10:33 AM
The draft IMO is a crapshoot. I would have rather taken a WR, but that wouldn't have won us any games. I'm more upset about us not picking up any FA's.crapshoot, eh?

well our draft guys obviously can't shoot craps worth a crap!!!! :cuss::cuss:

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey Bob I know. BigRedChief has been a Warfield basher from Day one but those interceptions should have been easy ones to a 6 million a year cornerback. you would expect him to make those plays. Happens every game in the NFL just not a lot on the Chiefs so when we see it happen it stands out more. IMHO

Bob Dole just finds it odd that we've got the CB that leads the entire NFL in INTs, and there's a statement specifically pointing out that we don't have a DB that can make plays. See: Irony.

What he gets paid has no bearing on his ability to make plays. Sorry to be the one to bring a small taste of reality to the conversation.

jspchief
10-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Odd.

And how many of those INTs were gifts? McCleon had a lot of picks last year too, and I suppose you're going to tell me he's good.

Warfield has shown definate improvement, and makes the play when he's in position. I don't think he has great recovery speed though.

And Gonzalez, Richardson, Green, Shields, Roaf, Waters, Weigmann, Hall...
What has Hall done this year? Not saying he's not good, I just don't put that much value on him. What has Dwight done for San Diego? And yea, our O-line is good, but I don't consider O-linemen playmakers. Or fullbacks.

It's not that we don't have any good players. It's just that we don't have that many inpositions to change the momentum of the game.

How about Neil Smith?
Hasty?
Woods?
Okoye.
Gonzales, of course.
Half those guys were short term. Great if we're looking to just "get by"

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
You Negative Nellies are clearly going to use the "yeah but..." defense for any factual information you're presented, so Bob Dole is going to return to reality and let ya'll knock yourselves out, after taking this opportunity to point out that Warfield's INT against Houston was definitely "athletic" and most certainly was not a gift.

Thus far, this season sucks bad enough on its own merit. Bob Dole sees no reason to waste time trying to dream up "yeah but's" that make it seem even worse.

Enjoy!

jspchief
10-04-2004, 10:51 AM
You Negative Nellies are clearly going to use the "yeah but..." defense for any factual information you're presented, so Bob Dole is going to return to reality and let ya'll knock yourselves out, after taking this opportunity to point out that Warfield's INT against Houston was definitely "athletic" and most certainly was not a gift.

Thus far, this season sucks bad enough on its own merit. Bob Dole sees no reason to waste time trying to dream up "yeah but's" that make it seem even worse.

Enjoy!

Eric Warfield leads the league in INTs after three games. Vonnie Holliday led the league in sacks after one game last year...does that mean he's good?

Do you think Warfield is one of the ten best DBs in the league?

Sorry if I don't just stick my head in the sand and pretend everything is fine when it isn't.

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Eric Warfield leads the league in INTs after three games. Vonnie Holliday led the league in sacks after one game last year...does that mean he's good?

Sorry if I don't just stick my head in the sand and pretend everything is fine when it isn't.

Give it a rest and stop taking shit out of context, D enise.

Mr. Laz
10-04-2004, 11:07 AM

Enjoy!

1 guy ....

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey Bob I like ya and think your a good poster and all that jazz and a great Chiefs fan but with all due respect.... there is no way that Warfield is one of the top Cornerbacks in the NFL.

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
What part of "Thus far, this season sucks bad enough on its own merit." is so ****ing confusing to you assclowns?

It's called English. Try learning to read it.

Bob Dole
10-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey Bob I like ya and think your a good poster and all that jazz and a great Chiefs fan but with all due respect.... there is no way that Warfield is one of the top Cornerbacks in the NFL.

Bob Dole <b>did not</b> make that claim. You can attribute that leap of "logic" to jspdenise.

Bob Dole was replying to a specific comment regarding the athleticism of our defensive backfield and jspdenise's apparent blindness.

KC Kings
10-04-2004, 11:16 AM

Trent Green isn't Probowl material by himself, but with the O-line and Holmes running the ball, he was able to get the job done and get to the pro-bowl.

Warfield is probably one of the top 10 corners this year if you look at the numbers. How much of that has to do with the fact that Dex is struggling? Probably a lot.

If Vonnie continued to get sacks through the first three games, then I would probably say that he was good, at the time, as well.

jspchief
10-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Bob Dole did not make that claim. You can attribute that leap of "logic" to jspdenise.

Bob Dole was replying to a specific comment regarding the athleticism of our defensive backfield and jspdenise's apparent blindness.

Talk about leap of logic. Where did I say that you felt that way? I simply asked you a question. I wasn't taking sh*t out of context. Next time I ask you a question I'll make sure that the punctuation mark is visable.

?...is that noticeable enough? Bob Dole needs to drop his f*cking pencil and learn how to read.