PDA

View Full Version : Worst sports year ever?

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 10:09 AM
It certainly is for me. My Chiefs have yet to win a game all season. The Giants and A's have been removed from the playoffs in embarrassing fashion. Saturday was like being punched in the gut watching the Giants pathetic 9th inning performance. The dynamic duo has been broken up on the Lakers and they actually had the audacity to bring back that little bitch Vladeflop. There isn't even going to be hockey anymore. I am getting killed in my FFL and in the gambling thread. Hell the only thing left for me at this point is to read that some terrorists shot down a plane with all the members of some team I like on it. Years like this make me wonder why I even watch sports.

BIG DADDY

Done :deevee:

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 10:12 AM
It's been less than pleasant.

morphius
10-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Hey, but the Sharks are leading their division in the NHL!

Damn IT!

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
It's been less than pleasant.

I'm getting ready for a Yankmee's / Dodgers World series. I am sure it will happen as I despise both of those teams with every fiber of my being.

Phobia
10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah - it bites. I'm also a Hawkeyes fan. Hell, even my high school football team lost their homecoming game Friday night.

I spent less time online and watching ESPN, though - so maybe in some regards it is a good thing.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Go Royals.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Royals Sucked. Chiefs are struggling. K-State is struggling. I'm not ready to write them all of yet (except the Royals of course).

In other news, Topeka got a hockey team. I'm excited about that.

Stinger
10-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Well you have the Lakers to look Forwa......... er never mind ROFL

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I spent less time online and watching ESPN, though - so maybe in some regards it is a good thing.

Yeah it is! did you see this thread on some planeteers observations after watching the games and sportcenter this weekend?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100357

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Well you have the Lakers to look Forwa......... er never mind ROFL

That's not funny mister, I hate Vladeflop.

Mark M
10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Worst ... sports year ... ever.

Well, at least so far. Ask me again in a few weeks.

MM
~~:sulk:

Calcountry
10-04-2004, 10:50 AM
The A's outplayed their talent level. They simply had no bullpen. This was glaringly obvious early in the season, when the purported closer, Arther Rhodes goes out in the ninth staked to a 4-0 lead against the lowly Devil Rays and takes it to 4-3 and bases loaded before he gets the last out.

Mecir, do I have to go there. He blew a game against Seattle so it is amazing that Macha even went to him on Saturday. Unfuginbelievable performance on Saturday for Mecir. It is not often that you have a team that is contending for a Division and the fans Boo a reliever coming off the field. If I was Mecir, I would retire right now and find some other line of work.

But the A's are the A's, they are an entertaining product that will win a lot of games. Solid D, good starting pitching that was worn thin down the stretch due to a lack of bullpen. They had no bonafide 35 HR slugger in the lineup and were contending up until Saturday.

All in all, considering what they were working with, they had a good year. If the management doesn't address the lack of slugging and bullpen, they will be a 500 team next year.

I could care less about the San Francisco Bond's.
Their fans stink up Oakland everytime they come there, but then so do the Red Sox, Yankees, and pretty much any other road fan that wants to take over Oakland. Its your ballpark any time you want it. The Oakland fan sure as heck is tired of the mediocrity. Most of them live in San Jose, Pleasanton, Livermore, Lodi, Modesto, Concord anyway. Why do they want to go all the way into that Black Hole anyway?

If the A's don't move either to the South bay or further east, say Livermore, then look for them to leave the state when the lease is up. They cannot ever field a winner without a new ballpark in a new neighborhood.

As far as the Chiefs are concerned, all the reverse Mojo is in play for tonights game. I bet against them, My employee calls me at 5 til to tell me she is going to be an hour late. I hit every light on the way in so the store doesn't get open until 9:15.

The Ravens probably are taking us lightly as they are home and everyone knows now, that the Jets and the Jags are awesome and we really suck now.

If there ever is a time for an upset it is tonight.

:)

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 10:50 AM
I think the Wizards won a title or something.

Mark M
10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I think the Wizards won a title or something.

I think this thread is about sports that count ...

MM
~~:p

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I think this thread is about sports that count ...

MM
~~:p
In that case.... a UMR alum won the WSoP. :D

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
In that case.... a UMR alum won the WSoP. :D

Winning 5 million smackaroos is a sport? Sign me up. I'm an athlete. Really...STFU

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Suuuuuure. I mean... why else would it be on ESPN? :shrug:

Ebolapox
10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
yeah, it's sucked majorly--

football--chiefs--'nuff said

baseball--royals--'nuff said

basketball--bulls--good god, stop the insanity

-EB-

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, it's bad...so bad, this is how bad it is...I live next door to a Patriots fan who is also a Syracuse fan...so I get my heart ripped out when KU and Syracuse met in the national championship and took appropriate amounts of crap, to this day, about that.

Last year, when KC started out 9-0 he was finally getting some back in a huge way, then the 'fall' happened and the next thing you know there wasnt even an opportunity to face off in the AFC championship game and took even more crap over that.

now, this year...his team hasnt lost a football game in over a year...KC hasnt won in 10 months and I have to sit and listen to it.

Oh, I did get revenge when Ohio State won the national championship 2 years ago, but I opened my mouth about last Saturday's game and even that is in the tank.

Lord, Im really starting to hate sports.

Count Zarth
10-04-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm just glad I'm not a Royals fan. The Texas Rangers actually did something this year. Finished 3 games out in their division.

I don't really care about other sports.

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
KCTitus... that's why I try to limit my conversations with my neighbors to... "GO AHEAD! CAll the cops! See if I care!!"

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 01:02 PM
KCTitus... that's why I try to limit my conversations with my neighbors to... "GO AHEAD! CAll the cops! See if I care!!"

Im lucky...I have really good friends as neighbors. So good in fact, the neighborhood calls our row of houses 'fraternity row'...

Oh, and I might add, he and I faced off in fantasy football and I lost thanks to Carolina's inability to stop Atlanta -- I mean, how in THE HELL does Arizona on the road hold Atlanta to 6 points and Carolina gets run over by Atlanta at home?

cdcox
10-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, it's bad...so bad, this is how bad it is...I live next door to a Patriots fan who is also a Syracuse fan...so I get my heart ripped out when KU and Syracuse met in the national championship and took appropriate amounts of crap, to this day, about that.

Last year, when KC started out 9-0 he was finally getting some back in a huge way, then the 'fall' happened and the next thing you know there wasnt even an opportunity to face off in the AFC championship game and took even more crap over that.

now, this year...his team hasnt lost a football game in over a year...KC hasnt won in 10 months and I have to sit and listen to it.

Oh, I did get revenge when Ohio State won the national championship 2 years ago, but I opened my mouth about last Saturday's game and even that is in the tank.

I guess the archivist bit doesn't work too well on him?

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 01:06 PM

MOJO is local and a big Dodgers fan. After we managed to walk the side and hand the game and division to them with Finley's grand slam in the 9th he gave me a call. Of course I didn't pick up and still haven't talked to him after having my heart ripped out like. The Dodgers so do not deserve to win anything. They pound their chest and talk smack to our fans before the wipe their bloody box and pitch around Bonds to the tone of like 40x this season. What a bunch of bitches. At least he doesn't live next door.

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Im lucky...I have really good friends as neighbors. So good in fact, the neighborhood calls our row of houses 'fraternity row'...

Oh, and I might add, he and I faced off in fantasy football and I lost thanks to Carolina's inability to stop Atlanta -- I mean, how in THE HELL does Arizona on the road hold Atlanta to 6 points and Carolina gets run over by Atlanta at home?

Tell me about it, that was the game I bet the most on in the gambling thread. :cuss: :banghead:

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I guess the archivist bit doesn't work too well on him?

Ehhh...not really.

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Tell me about it, that was the game I bet the most on in the gambling thread. :cuss: :banghead:

All I needed was 9 points out of my defense...I figured Carolina at home against Atlanta was a cinch. OMG, I couldnt believe it...and his defense, NE of course, got like 10 FP's in the last 2 minutes of that game against Buffalo.

GRRR...Now I get to listen to the 'undefeated' talk. NE does have a pretty easy schedule, they could do it. If they did, I may have to move.

I forgot one other thing that makes this particular weekend suck beyond all suckage for sports...

My office has a weekly pick em (pick with spread) for NFL for $5...payouts range between 100 and 200 depending upon how many play. Last year I won twice and to be in the running you can only lose 3 - 5 games a week...last week I missed by one game (fuggin Oakland). This week Im feeling good and I got every game wrong but 2. ONLY 2 right. WTF?!

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
GRRR...Now I get to listen to the 'undefeated' talk. NE does have a pretty easy schedule, they could do it. If they did, I may have to move.

ROFL

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Pats -- Champions of the World and 18 in a row, BABY!

I'm doing good....

(and the Red Flops are in the playoffs, but who the hell cares about that? )

David.
10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
With all this bad sports news, think how good a win IN BALTIMORE would feel tonite. I'd be giddy.

David.
10-04-2004, 01:49 PM

I'm doing good....

seriously, are those bastards ever gonna lose??

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes. Novermber 22.

Man... I really hope Amnorix just hurt himself laughing. Would serve him right.

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 01:51 PM

The Pats schedule is shaping up to be very easy, comparatively speaking. Running the table would be awesome, but there's a helluva lot of football left to play yet.

We're set to play the NFC West, which is the weakest division in the NFC (although the NFC North is suddenly looking a little weak), and the AFC North, which is the weakest AFC division.

And, of course, Miami is fielding what seriously might be the worst offense in NFL history, and Buffalo doesn't have it's act together yet to say the least (19 offensive TDs in the last 17 games...)

Toughest games look to be 2x against the Jets, Seattle (at NE) and the Ravens. Oh, and, err...Chiefs at Arrowhead. Can't forget that one. *ducking* :)

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM

Yes. Personally I'm hoping for 2006... *cough*

Seriously, however, the game in 3 or so weeks against Seattle is looking to be a REALLY good one. It's at NE, fortunately, and the Razor is a tough place for opponents to play. We've got 2 against the Jets who suddenly have one of the better OLines in football, CuMar acting like he's 25 again, and a healthy Pennington. Ravens will be tough, no doubt, but who knows if Jamal Lewis will be around for that game. Chiefs at Arrowhead are never a gimme. Otherwise, our schedule looks pretty favorable.

Also, I'm not sure yet whether our run defense "problems" are systemic or just schemes relating to how we played the opponent on defense that week. I'm hoping it's the latter.

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 02:06 PM

I'm doing good....

Too bad your not a REAL fan. Freakin poser.

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 02:07 PM
At this point...Im willing to make a deal with the football gods...

KC can go 1-15, just please for the love of all that is holy, let KC beat NE.

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 02:08 PM

How awesome would that be?

I mean... the 1-15 part sucks... but it would be hilarious if the sole win was the the Pats.

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
At this point...Im willing to make a deal with the football gods...

I'm willing to go 15-1 on the regular season on the way to winning another Lombardi. I'd cut that deal in a heartbeat, even if it meant losing (to some degree) bragging rights on this board. :)

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
How awesome would that be?

I mean... the 1-15 part sucks... but it would be hilarious if the sole win was the the Pats.

It would sort of be in keeping. The last Patriots loss was to....

The STEVE SPURRIER coached Redskins. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Too bad your not a REAL fan. Freakin poser.

:spock: err....??

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 02:28 PM
It would sort of be in keeping. The last Patriots loss was to....

The STEVE SPURRIER coached Redskins. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
So, you're telling me there's a chance...

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
So, you're telling me there's a chance...

Have you seen the Patriots play?

18 game win streak:

12 times the Patriots have had a 5 point lead (or fewer) in the 4th quarter.

2 OT wins

God knows how many wins by 3 or fewer points, but it's probably like 10 of 'em. The Patriots are NOT the Colts. Every frigging game is a heart attack right up until the end.

The Pats just know how to get it done when it counts. We've won like 20 games in a row when leading at the half, and 25 games in a row (stretching back to '01) when leading after three quarters. Even when it's a stinking 1 point lead, and NE fans are having palpitations. We always pull it out in the end. But it's never, EVER easy...

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Have you seen the Patriots play?
...We always pull it out in the end. But it's never, EVER easy...

The zebras tend to lend a hand in key situations...the kind of situations that are usually kicks in the nuts to KC.

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 02:38 PM
:spock: err....??

You bandwagon fans kill me. Everyone knows you became a Patriots after they were already a made team. You will be a Patriots fan till they struggle and you jump onto another BB as a fan of your new team.

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:41 PM
The zebras tend to lend a hand in key situations...the kind of situations that are usually kicks in the nuts to KC.

You mean like when the refs gave the Dolphins receiver that 40 yard bomb in overtime to set up a Mare FG (that he missed) even though (1) he had already stepped out of bounds and was therefore an ineligible receiver, and (2) he only had 1 foot inbounds when he came down?

Or the Denver game when Brady clearly recovered his own fumble but the refs gave it to the Broncos anyway?

I could go on and on. Believe me, the Pats have PLENTY of calls go against them all the time. They also have had some in their favor. But the Patriots always overcome their injuries and whatever the refs do, and their opponents always leave the field the loser...

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
You mean like when the refs gave the Dolphins receiver that 40 yard bomb in overtime to set up a Mare FG (that he missed) even though (1) he had already stepped out of bounds and was therefore an ineligible receiver, and (2) he only had 1 foot inbounds when he came down?

Or the Denver game when Brady clearly recovered his own fumble but the refs gave it to the Broncos anyway?

I could go on and on. Believe me, the Pats have PLENTY of calls go against them all the time. They also have had some in their favor. But the Patriots always overcome their injuries and whatever the refs do, and their opponents always leave the field the loser...

The Patriot's are a bunch of cheaters that hold too much.

Calcountry
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM
I was watching the Raiders game yesterday and the Texans had too shots, one out of bounds, and the other on the QB, that the Refs didn't call. Reminds me of the game against the Chiefs where they called lesser chit on us.

KCTitus
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM

I dont recall either instance you are referring to, but I've had the opportunity, as evidenced why we're on this topic in the first place, to see a lot of NE games much to my dismay. Ive not witnessed a charmed team like this in a number of years. Im reminded of the Elway years at Denver.

Yesterday, NE got the benefit of 2 roughing the passer calls that were clearly bogus. Totally indefensible. In situations like that, KC is usually the recipient of the penalty not the other way around.

But I digress...my point is NE is living a charmed life. Ive never seen a team get so many bounces, on the field, and favorable calls when they need them since the late 90's broncows.

Is it a figment of my imagination, maybe, but how in the HELL do we have a team that wins 18 straight in an age when all over the league there's rampant parity? Makes no sense.

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:49 PM
You bandwagon fans kill me. Everyone knows you became a Patriots after they were already a made team. You will be a Patriots fan till they struggle and you jump onto another BB as a fan of your new team.

ROFL Ya, right.

I go back 24 years with this team. I can tell you all about Ron Erhardt and going 2-14, Ron Meyer and trying to fire his defensive coordinator, but having the GM come in and fire him instead, the Rod Rust takeover leading to a 1-15 season, the Raymond Berry "glory years" that ended in being Superbowl Shuffled out of town, how in the Super Bowl we lost one of our best offensive players on the first play of the game after a long pass completion and that was our entire day, suffering when Tony "Deer in the Headlights" Eason got nailed all day that day, how we took Eason BEFORE the Dolphins took Marino.

Squish the Fish in '85 to get to the Super Bowl (great day!)

How the entire next season was lost in the final preseason game when three starting players were lost for the entire season due to injury.

Dick "we're not at Syracuse anymore" MacPherson.

Bill Parcells, Pete "Jacked and Pumped" Carroll, Bobby Grier, the Sullivan family, Shaeffer Stadium, Sullivan stadium, aluminum bleachers, overflowing toilets, James "Let's move to St. Louis" Orthwein, Robert "FU Orthwein" Kraft.

Hog Hannah, Steve Grogan, Mosi Tatupu, Sam Adams, Andre Tippett, Ronnie Lippett, Don Blackmon, Clayton Weishuhn, Russ Francis, Steamer Stanley Morgan, Sam Bam Cunningham,

Don't worry, my friend, I can prove my Patriots bona fides any time I need to. :):):)

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 02:50 PM
ROFL Ya, right.

Poser

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 02:51 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I revel in your bitterness and jealousy....

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 02:52 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I revel in your bitterness and jealousy....

I'm dying over here.

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 02:52 PM
ROFL Gotta love Big Daddy's persistence.

Amnorix
10-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I dont recall either instance you are referring to,

Of course not. It doesnt' fit your theory so you ignore it, and only remember the calls that went our way.

Yesterday, NE got the benefit of 2 roughing the passer calls that were clearly bogus. Totally indefensible. In situations like that, KC is usually the recipient of the penalty not the other way around.

The first call was bad, but at "game speed" looked like a hit to the helmet on Brady, and was therefore an understandable error. I don't even recall the second one specifically.

But I digress...my point is NE is living a charmed life. Ive never seen a team get so many bounces, on the field, and favorable calls when they need them since the late 90's broncows.

Is it a figment of my imagination, maybe, but how in the HELL do we have a team that wins 18 straight in an age when all over the league there's rampant parity? Makes no sense.

1. We have the best coach in the NFL.

2. We have one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL, who is as cool as it comes under pressure.

3. When the pressure is on, we never falter, or screw up, or shoot ourselves in the foot.

4. We have the most clutch kicker in the NFL (possibly in NFL history).

5. We are solid on both offense and defense, as well as special teams (although not this year).

6. We have the best coaching staff in the NFL, with both our OC and DC being mentioned as HC candidates each of the last 3 offseasons.

7. We have elite (top 3) players at QB (Brady), DL (Seymour), Safety (Harrison), and CB (Law).

8. Our front office and coaching staff work hand-in-glove in determining exactly which players "fit" on our team.

9. We manage the cap (see Milloy, Lawyer), it doesn't manage us.

10. We don't overvalue/overestimate the talent of our own players, as so many teams do (see, replacing 3/4ths of our starting secondary after 2002 and then winning the SB in 2003).

11. We have built a flexible, deep and talented roster, which allows us to overcome injuries.

12. We do not rely on a very small number of "stars" to win the game for us. We emphasize teamwork and team spirit. If Seymour or Harrison or Law doesn't kill you, then it will be Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi or Eugene Wilson.

Anything else I can help you with?

Luck is a factor in all sports, in all endeavors. You need to realize and accept that luck isn't why great/very good teams win most of the time. Usually they win because they deserve to win. Because they played better in the clutch situation, outperformed their opponent or outlasted them in terms of endurance.

Belichick has a saying -- often you play 58 minutes worth of football JUST to see who will be better in the last 2 minutes. Our coaching staff prepares us for everything possible, and so we get to the end and we win. That's why we're 6-0 in the playoffs under Brady, 7-0 in OT under Brady (NFL record), 40-12 or whatever since Brady took over as QB.

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Of course not. It doesnt' fit your theory so you ignore it, and only remember the calls that went our way.

The first call was bad, but at "game speed" looked like a hit to the helmet on Brady, and was therefore an understandable error. I don't even recall the second one specifically.

1. We have the best coach in the NFL.

2. We have one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL, who is as cool as it comes under pressure.

3. When the pressure is on, we never falter, or screw up, or shoot ourselves in the foot.

4. We have the most clutch kicker in the NFL (possibly in NFL history).

5. We are solid on both offense and defense, as well as special teams (although not this year).

6. We have the best coaching staff in the NFL, with both our OC and DC being mentioned as HC candidates each of the last 3 offseasons.

7. We have elite (top 3) players at QB (Brady), DL (Seymour), Safety (Harrison), and CB (Law).

8. Our front office and coaching staff work hand-in-glove in determining exactly which players "fit" on our team.

9. We manage the cap (see Milloy, Lawyer), it doesn't manage us.

10. We don't overvalue/overestimate the talent of our own players, as so many teams do (see, replacing 3/4ths of our starting secondary after 2002 and then winning the SB in 2003).

11. We have built a flexible, deep and talented roster, which allows us to overcome injuries.

12. We do not rely on a very small number of "stars" to win the game for us. We emphasize teamwork and team spirit. If Seymour or Harrison or Law doesn't kill you, then it will be Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi or Eugene Wilson.

Anything else I can help you with?

Luck is a factor in all sports, in all endeavors. You need to realize and accept that luck isn't why great/very good teams win most of the time. Usually they win because they deserve to win. Because they played better in the clutch situation, outperformed their opponent or outlasted them in terms of endurance.

Belichick has a saying -- often you play 58 minutes worth of football JUST to see who will be better in the last 2 minutes. Our coaching staff prepares us for everything possible, and so we get to the end and we win. That's why we're 6-0 in the playoffs under Brady, 7-0 in OT under Brady (NFL record), 40-12 or whatever since Brady took over as QB.

Fvck you.

J Diddy
10-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Fvck you.

well put
:thumb: