PDA

View Full Version : Packers Ready to Deal Mike McKenzie

KHinz57
10-04-2004, 11:08 AM
FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers on Monday morning agreed to trade their disgruntled cornerback and a conditional draft pick to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and backup quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan. Both teams were still awaiting NFL approval for the deal to become official.

The Saints have long been the strongest suitor for his services, but this past week the Raiders and Seahawks called the Packers and jumped into the fray. However, neither team was willing to go with a second rounder and a player who the Packers wanted.

The Packers tried to find a solid young backup when they signed Tim Couch earlier this year. The former No. 1 pick was unable to pick up the offense and was further hindered by a shoulder problem. The Packers need for a young protégé became even more apparent this weekend when QB Brett Favre was knocked out of his game against the Giants with a concussion.

Two weeks ago FOX Sports was the first to report that the Packers had come off of their asking price of a first-rounder for their corner. GM Mickey Loomis at the time told FOXSports.com that the Packers were seeking a second rounder plus a mid-round selection. Loomis had been unwilling to part with another draft pick. The Saints' third quarterback O'Sullivan was much more palatable.

The Saints, by the way, have a recent history of having no-name or castoff backup quarterbacks turn into studs such as Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger and their current starter Aaron Brooks.

It is unclear if the Saints will open up talks about a new deal for McKenzie, the issue that prompted the player to hold out in the first place.

Mark M
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Dammit, Carl!!!

Seriously ... I can't believe KC didn't make a move for the guy.

MM
~~:cuss:

Baby Lee
10-04-2004, 11:11 AM
First time I've ever seen Marc Bulger and stud in the same PARAGRAPH. Still doesn't look right.

Rain Man
10-04-2004, 11:11 AM
A 2nd-round pick seems like a lot. I mean, he's got cool hair and stuff, but still...

I wonder what the conditional pick is?

ROYC75
10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
The guy is hurt now, right ?

cdcox
10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Dammit, Carl!!!

Seriously ... I can't believe KC didn't make a move for the guy.

MM
~~:cuss:

Carl patiently explained to us last week that because of the salary cap, an NFL team can only go after big name free agents every other year. This wasn't our year. :rolleyes:

ROYC75
10-04-2004, 11:13 AM
A 2nd-round pick seems like a lot. I mean, he's got cool hair and stuff, but still...

I wonder what the conditional pick is?

Cool ? I would like to give the boy a free haircut ! :thumb:

Phobia
10-04-2004, 11:15 AM
The Saints, by the way, have a recent history of having no-name or castoff backup quarterbacks turn into studs such as Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger and their current starter Aaron Brooks.

Right. Because the Packers didn't develop Brooks and Saints give up a first day pick for him....

Bulger? The Saints drafted him - that's it. This reads like a Saints homer wrote it.

Rain Man
10-04-2004, 11:16 AM
First time I've ever seen Marc Bulger and stud in the same PARAGRAPH. Still doesn't look right.

To be honest, I didn't remember Bulger ever playing for the Saints. Am I reading that correctly?

Phobia
10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
To be honest, I didn't remember Bulger ever playing for the Saints. Am I reading that correctly?

Drafted and cut. Rams picked him up.

Sure-Oz
10-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Marc Bulger ripped MU in a bowl game back in the Corby Jones days. I wish we could've gotten mckenzie damnit!

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
O'Sullivan looked very good this spring over in NFL Europe, he is alot like Favre. Nice move for the Packers and the Saints.

picasso
10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
McKenzie should have been part of the RKal Truluck deal!!!! :banghead:

Mr. Laz
10-04-2004, 12:01 PM
trades are just so rare in the NFL

malito
10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
R-Kal looked good yesterday, they were calling his name every five minutes for a while there against the Giants, he looked better than Vonnie! Thats funny the Chiefs sign Holiday as a high price free agent and then the next year the Packers sign Truluck as a preseason Chiefs reject! And look to me like R-Kal is ready to do more than Vonnies has!

BigChiefFan
10-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Looks like we are a day late and a dollar short. AGAIN.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2004, 12:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1894820