PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis to be suspended this year??

Mr. Laz
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Lewis' lawyer met with NFL before seeking plea

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 24 hours ago

The lawyer for Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis is trying not to enter into a plea bargain for his client blindly.

FOX NFL Sunday and FOXSports.com have learned that the attorney representing Lewis, Ed Garland, flew to New York this week to meet with the league office to get an idea of what punitive action the league would take if they agreed to a plea deal in Lewis' drug conspiracy case that would allow him to serve jail time in the off-season. The NFL's lead counsel Jeff Pash has since sent a letter to Garland without a definitive answer. However, one thing is clear: Lewis will not be suspended for an entire season and is more likely facing a sanction much less severe.
While it's unclear what action the league informed Garland it would take, Lewis' punishment is expected to occur this season. In fact, one league official said that commissioner Paul Tagliabue could hand down a penalty immediately after Lewis pleas. However, due to the circumstances, the NFL may chose to hold off a bit to see what Lewis says on the stand if his plea bargain agreement requires him to testify in the case.

Lewis, however, has the right to appeal, which could postpone any suspension imposed. Even if he appeals, the final hearing will take place soon after, as the league is wary of having him serve any suspension next season, which would be viewed as a competitive advantage by other clubs.

Even if Jamal Lewis gets to serve his jail time in the off-season, he'll likely serve any NFL suspension this season. (Al Behrman / AP)

"As soon as he pleas and it is accepted, the commissioner can hand down a penalty immediately," said one source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "It's not something that we would wait for. When he serves his time has nothing to do with when we make a ruling."

In addition, while this falls under the NFL's drug program, due to mitigating circumstances, one being that the allegations took place before Lewis came into the NFL, this will not be handled the same way as a failed drug test. In addition, Lewis did not take any drugs in this matter, but instead has been implicated in a distribution case.

Lewis is facing a fine, suspension or both. The suspension is likely to be anywhere from a month down.

The Baltimore Sun reported that Lewis' plea calls for a prison sentence of four to six months to be served in the off-season. Their report also said his sentence could be served in a halfway house.

Lewis was the NFL's Offensive Player of the Year a season ago when he topped the 2,000-yard plateau.

McKenzie derby heating up?

The New Orleans Saints' desire to trade for Packers unhappy camper Mike McKenzie has not waned, but they are no longer the only kids on the block interested in his services.

League sources told FOX NFL Sunday and FOXSports.com that the Raiders and Seahawks both jumped into the fray this week, getting into trade talks with the Packers. It is unclear if any offer was ever made or if the officials from both teams were feeling each other out for what it would take to make it happen.

Right now, teams are showing interest but holding firm hoping that the Packers step back in their asking price as the trade deadline gets closer and closer. The deadline for deals in the NFL is in two weeks.

McKenzie missed last week's game with a pulled hamstring and was expected to sit out Sunday's contest as well with the same problem.

Working on Harrison

Just one year ago, there were questions coming out of Indianapolis as to whether the Colts would be able to keep their triplets intact. QB Peyton Manning was up this past off-season and WR Marvin Harrison and RB Edgerrin James are free after this year.

The Colts opened the vault for Manning and now it appears they are taking steps to get No. 2 of the three set in stone.

FOX NFL Sunday and FOXSports.com have learned that this week Harrison's agent, Tom Condon, flew to Indy and held talks with Colts head honcho Bill Polian regarding a deal for the All-Pro receiver.

While no concrete numbers were hammered out, the two laid the groundwork and set up parameters for what should be another blockbuster contract. Not only would this allow the Colts to keep one of the most prolific pass catchers in the league around, it would also allow them to use their franchise tag on James if they decide to keep him in the fold after the season.

Through three games, Harrison has hauled in 22 passes for two touchdowns and 207 yards. Two years ago he blew open the doors to the record books with a stunning 143 catches for 1,722 yards.

Ouch, that hurts

It has now been widely reported that Vikings WR Randy Moss was fined $5,000 by the league for touching off a scrum in last Sunday's Bears-Vikings game. However, that was just a blip on the league's radar screen.

FOXSports.com has learned that the league actually hit 14 other players in that altercation for a total of $40,000. The entire affair was sparked when Bears safety Todd Johnson leveled Minnesota wideout Nate Burleson late in the game. Moss thought it was a cheap shot and went after Johnson, which began a melee that the officials had difficulty getting under control. Ironically, Johnson was not fined for the hit while six of his teammates and nine Vikings were all fined between $2,500 and $7,500.

Burleson was hit with a $7,500 fine because he ripped off an opposing player's helmet during the fight. Moss got his five grand and others such as QB Daunte Culpepper, LT Bryant McKinnie and RB Onterrio Smith each received $2,500. Among the Bears players were cornerback R.W. McQuarters, LB Lance Briggs and first-round pick DT Tommie Harris.

Ari Chi3fs
10-04-2004, 11:54 AM
throw down the suspension and make it immediately starting tonight... no Lewis would help us earn a W...

Mark M
10-04-2004, 12:12 PM
You know, it's shit like this that makes some people hate professional athletes. Well, it's more like makes people hate the way the system coddles professional athletes.

If hes guilty he gets to serve time during the off-season? WTF?!?!!? Id love to bring that up to a judge if I ever got jail time for something

Um, sorry judge, but I cant serve my jail time right now. You see, I dont get vacation time for another three months. Is that okay if we wait? Once I get my vacation, Ill do my time.

MM
~~:cuss:

Cochise
10-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I guess this is why I got Jamal Lewis in the bottom of the first round of my fantasy draft.

ENDelt260
10-04-2004, 12:42 PM
You know, it's shit like this that makes some people hate professional athletes. Well, it's more like makes people hate the way the system coddles professional athletes.

If hes guilty he gets to serve time during the off-season? WTF?!?!!? Id love to bring that up to a judge if I ever got jail time for something

Um, sorry judge, but I cant serve my jail time right now. You see, I dont get vacation time for another three months. Is that okay if we wait? Once I get my vacation, Ill do my time.

MM
~~:cuss:
Well... you could try to float that while you're negotiating your plea agreement I guess...

morphius
10-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Of course we are lucky enough to play against the Ravens before they lose Jamal Lewis for the year.

blsilks
10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
This stupid gang banging, drug dealing, crack loving, whore is a discrase to mankind and should be throw in jail right away.