PDA

View Full Version : A flip-flop on defense from last year....

donkhater
10-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Last year KC had a top 20 scoring defense and was ranked last in yardage defense

This year, the yardage totals are improved, but the scoring defense is suffering. Why? Only one reason IMHO.

Special teams.

Last season, Hall's returns and the coverage units were giving KC great field position. Teams had to go a long way to score. Sometimes they did, but frequently a turnover popped up or they held for a FG. Thus a team is still getting yards, but not scoring as much.

This season, Hall has yet to get untracked (I don't mean TDs. When has he been able to return a kickoff?). If the offense stalls like it has been, punt coverage yields the ball to the opponent with good field position. Of course I can't think of a time this season when the kickoff coverages stpped a guy before the 25.

Add these things up, and the defense doesn't have to defend as long of a field, opportunities for turnovers decrease and of course scoring goes up.

I do believe KC's defense is playing better, but getting Cheeks back and some decent kickoff coverages would bring it to another level. And they won't jump to that level until it happens.

BTW this will help the offense as well. KC can't make a living going 80 yards every drive and expect to succeed.

HolmeZz
10-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Cheek coming back will help our punt coverage. Tynes needs to work on his kickoffs. Seemed like Baltimore was fielding them at the 15 a few times last night. That coupled with the fact that our special teams can't make tackles, we've given opposing teams great starting position.

DeepSouth
10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Cheek coming back will help our punt coverage. Tynes needs to work on his kickoffs. Seemed like Baltimore was fielding them at the 15 a few times last night. That coupled with the fact that our special teams can't make tackles, we've given opposing teams great starting position.
I don't remember seeing the kickoffs outside the ten. If I recollect correctly, most of the kickoffs landed around the five. To me, that's not a bad kickoff. It was the coverage that sucked.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

HolmeZz
10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Kickoffs to the 5 are great. No doubt. But I know atleast one only made it to about their 15. Tynes wasn't kicking as well as he had in the past.

HolmeZz
10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Here are the kickoffs:

- Baltimore 7
- Baltimore 14
- Baltimore 3
- Baltimore 7
- Baltimore 3
- Baltimore 9

Again, they weren't bad kickoffs, but Tynes has shown the ability to get it in the end zone, and he didn't do that last night.

patteeu
10-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Great points. donkhater.

patteeu
10-05-2004, 10:45 AM
One other factor that might be hindering our STs is that Monte Beisel and Dante Hall are both starters now. I don't know how much that takes away from their ST performance but I know Beisel was one of our better ST coverage guys and Dante sure hasn't looked the same yet this year.