PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lewis got served

blsilks
10-05-2004, 11:34 AM
From the Kansas City Star

Offensive line takes it right at Ray Lewis

By IVAN CARTER

The Kansas City Star

BALTIMORE — Ray Lewis got the party started inside Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium on Monday night with his trademark pregame dance, which could only be duplicated by Michael Jackson on a sugar rush.

Three-and-a-half hours later, after the NFL's best offensive line (and Tony Richardson) finished with him, Lewis wasn't in a partying mood.

“They stuck it to us,” a tired, battered and beaten Lewis said after Kansas City's physical 27-24 victory over the Ravens. “They had a game plan, stuck to it and took it to us. Unfortunately, we didn't execute ours.”

The Chiefs controlled the ball for nearly 40 minutes and pounded out 178 yards on the ground primarily because they ran at, rather than away from, Lewis, a man whom Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil already considers to be “one of the all-time greats.”

Lewis finished with a game-high 11 tackles but had only six solos and just one tackle for loss. Richardson set the tone early when he dove into the guard-tackle gap and drove Lewis off the ball, opening a lane for Priest Holmes.

At the end of the play, a frustrated Lewis turned Richardson and threw him to the ground. But the damage had been done, and Lewis knew what kind of night he was in for.

“You have to run right at Ray Lewis,” Richardson said. “He's too fast and too smart to try and run sideways against him. If you run sideline to sideline with him, he'll make plays.”

Another key was the way the Chiefs attacked Baltimore's 3-4 defense. The Chiefs faced a 3-4 defense last week against Houston and despite the loss, left tackle Willie Roaf played one of his strongest games in a Kansas City uniform.

From that loss, the Chiefs realized the best way to attack the Ravens was to run right at them.

The ploy worked as Roaf repeatedly sealed right defensive end Marques Douglas while Casey Wiegmann, Brian Waters, Will Shields and John Welbourn held their blocks and got downfield.

“We were just coming off the ball,” Vermeil said. “It wasn't too fancy.”

At different points, each of the Chiefs got their licks on Lewis. Once it was Wiegmann clearing the path for a 13-yard Trent Green scramble by rushing downfield and knocking Lewis to the ground.

Later, it was Shields pulling around Wiegmann and into the hole, where he greeted Lewis head up and flipped him on his back as Priest Holmes dived over both big bodies for a 1-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter.

“It was all luck,” Shields said with a smile.

Yeah, and so are those nine Pro Bowls.

Perhaps Waters, who has been playing at a Pro Bowl level himself, put it best:

“I don't know if he had a bad game, but you can't just worry about one man,” Waters said. “You have to play your game.”

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Bump it real good

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
if the oline plays at 50% of what that line did KC wins in a blowout.

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I searched high and low for the video of that game. Ray Ray was mic'd up and getting owned all night by Waters and T Rich. Mad rep to anyone who can find it and post it.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I searched high and low for the video of that game. Ray Ray was mic'd up and getting owned all night by Waters and T Rich. Mad rep to anyone who can find it and post it.

Its on this site:

http://www.kcchiefsgames.com/

ct
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
"It's not possible!"
~ Ray Lewis, on the sideline after getting repeatedly OWNED by TRich and Shields

Amnorix
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
The problem isn't even Lewis, Suggs or Reed. It's Ngata.

KCFalcon59
01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/KCFalcon59/Miscellaneous/shieldsonraykz1ie5.gif

listopencil
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/KCFalcon59/Miscellaneous/shieldsonraykz1ie5.gif

Hah, I watched that game and actually enjoyed that KC victory. Lewis was just beaten and beaten down all night long. I busted out laughing when they showed him on the sidelines-claiming that he was getting double teamed-then they cut to a replay of him being beaten one-on-one. Good stuff. I guess my hate for Ray Lewis outweighs my hate for the Chiefs.

Munson
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
One of the most memorable games in recent Chiefs history. It was a thing of beauty to see Ray Lewis get manhandled all game long.

listopencil
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
It would have been great if Lewis came out and did his "Spastic Pelican On Crack, Searching For A Mate Of The Same Sex" pre game dance and one of the KC linemen just ran out there and beat his ass.

HemiEd
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
It was especially sweet, as it was a Monday night game, and he had done his spastic dance during the introductions. I really miss TRich, hopefully Cox is activated for this game.

Wow, I just checked the depth chart, and they have Cox as the backup QB! (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/depthchart?team=KC)

SNR
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
It was especially sweet, as it was a Monday night game, and he had done his spastic dance during the introductions. I really miss TRich, hopefully Cox is activated for this game.

Wow, I just checked the depth chart, and they have Cox as the backup QB! (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/depthchart?team=KC)LMAO

I kinda hope Cassel mouths off to Haley and Todd ends up benching him just so we can see the Ravens get frustrated trying not to get raped by Mi(ke) Cox

FringeNC
01-06-2011, 04:02 PM
If I remember that game correctly, Trent Green made some nice throws and the WRs made some nice catches on some key 3rd downs. We weren't explosive that game, just very efficient, methodical.

We will beat Baltimore again on Sunday if we are good on 3rd downs...

HemiEd
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
LMAO

I kinda hope Cassel mouths off to Haley and Todd ends up benching him just so we can see the Ravens get frustrated trying not to get raped by Mi(ke) Cox

That would be fun.

That was one of the best games ever, seeing him whine like a bitch. We need a video of him whining, with banjo music in the back ground.

boogblaster
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
ray-boy is a whiner

googlegoogle
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Roaf

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-06-2011, 06:02 PM
That would be fun.

That was one of the best games ever, seeing him whine like a bitch. We need a video of him whining, with banjo music in the back ground.

What's up with the attached picture of young Peyton Manning ;)

ReynardMuldrake
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Wow, I just checked the depth chart, and they have Cox as the backup QB! (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/depthchart?team=KC)

WTF happened to Palko?

mlyonsd
01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I realize I'm lazy and could look it up but how old is Ray Lewis?

It seems like he's been in the league since Lenny played.

Garcia Bronco
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
i'd be impressed if you pulled that type of win off against this Raven team. I remember this game from 04. Ray Lewis got owned. I thought his career was over. I like the Ravens least of any team in the NFL.