PDA

View Full Version : The coverage units absolutely have to get better..

The Bad Guy
10-05-2004, 01:19 PM
I was looking up stats this morning and I looked at our coverage units in perticular.

On kickoffs, the average starting field position is 32.7, which is 3rd worst in the NFL.

In just 9 punts, Jason Baker has given up 98 yards. That's a ridiculous average.

The main thing this team needs to work on is finding 11 guys to fly down on kick coverage, blow people up, and make a tackle.

Our punting game should improve with Cheek back.

Baker should of been sent to whever Lin Elliott is hiding after last night's performance.

KCTitus
10-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Looked to me from the TV that he was outkicking the coverage...

ROYC75
10-05-2004, 01:22 PM

It was, our guys are not getting downfield quick enough on short punts !

Mr. Laz
10-05-2004, 01:24 PM
punts were short AND low

punts sucked

coverage sucked even worse (if that's possible)

ChiTown
10-05-2004, 01:25 PM

No. The problem was that he had little to no hang time on the punts. It was fuggin ridiculous. In addition, Lawrence Tynes kicks weren't that great either. Primarily though, it's the GD coverage units. They are either over-running the play, or not getting into coverage position at all. Our ST's scared me way more than any other aspect last night.

KCTitus
10-05-2004, 01:29 PM
No. The problem was that he had little to no hang time on the punts. It was fuggin ridiculous. In addition, Lawrence Tynes kicks weren't that great either. Primarily though, it's the GD coverage units. They are either over-running the play, or not getting into coverage position at all. Our ST's scared me way more than any other aspect last night.

Ok, that's what I tought was meant by 'outkicking' the coverage--basically line drive kicks that get to the receiver before the coverage can close.

On the runback, the closest KC player was about 15 yards away from SAMs.

I do agree on Tynes, what was up with him and those short kicks.

Ari Chi3fs
10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
my three old puts Bakers punts to shame...

jspchief
10-05-2004, 01:38 PM
All I know is eight of the eleven Chiefs on the field during that return fell down with little contact. It was embarassing watching all of our guys flop around on the ground after getting juked (if you could call it that). Some thing has to be done about our over-pursuit and lack of balance.

Calcountry
10-05-2004, 01:39 PM
It was, our guys are not getting downfield quick enough on short punts !
I saw overpursuit on the punts, some guys simply were not staying in their lanes, this allowed the Ravens to open up seems to run in. I swear, if Dante was returning for the Ravens he would have taken all 3 big returns back instead of just one.

The Chiefs must fix this, plus the penaties have got to stop.

Rain Man
10-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Lots of room for improvement, I agree. Baker's punt that was returned for the TD was obviously a line drive with no hang time, because I was surprised at how quickly the returner had the ball and was running.

On the one early kickoff too, you could see Shaunard Harts bend in from the outside position, and the returner just ran right by him. As soon as he ran outside of Harts, I thought, "Uh-oh."

philfree
10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
We're kinda like a 3 banger running on 2 cylinders. DV will see to it the STs get's fixed. That's his baby along with the offense. Besides the coverage needing work maybe Dante will hit his streak late in the season this year when we meet up with our division rivals.

PhilFree :arrow:

Calcountry
10-05-2004, 01:57 PM
We're kinda like a 3 banger running on 2 cylinders. DV will see to it the STs get's fixed. That's his baby along with the offense. Besides the coverage needing work maybe Dante will hit his streak late in the season this year when we meet up with our division rivals.

My solution for Dante is 2 fold.

One: You go after the mfuggin punter with a vengence, get a blocked punt. Let them know that if they are going to directional kick, or lob it up high, then we have nothing to lose by going afte the kicker with everything we got. The kicker then will be less effective at controlling his punts because the fear will be there. That should allow us to fake a kick block and go for some returns with greater effectiveness.

We have to go get some punts blocked in order to bring Dante back into the game IMHO.

2: Less Reps for Dante at WR. I really believe that he is saving himself for the knocks that he will have to take a WR, it may even be a coaching thing. Something like, unless it is a really clean opportunity, low kick, then fair catch it or let it go.

htismaqe
10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm not counting on dramatic improvement even with Cheek back.

I was at the Panther game, and the punt coverage was BAD, even when the punts were very good.

philfree
10-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not counting on dramatic improvement even with Cheek back.

Since DV is a STs guy I expect our coaches to get it fixed and Cheeks will be part of that solution. I expect to see improvement in our next game. I think I will. Gee is that to positive?

HC_Chief
10-05-2004, 02:26 PM
I see too many guys falling down when they get close to the return man. They're either out of control or shying away from contact. If the former, that's correctable... the latter is what I worry about.

KC Jones
10-05-2004, 03:14 PM
It's not just Baker - Cheeks was absolutely booming the punts against Denver and Carolina, but the opponents still put on great returns. Our coverage units are as bad as they were under Mike Stock. Really, it's because we don't have much speed on the roster.

slow players that don't tackle well = shitty coverage units

ENDelt260
10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
"If you're a backup player and not getting it done, someone else is gonna take your job."

--DV press conference. Apparently he's considering shaking up the roster due to the poor ST play.

siberian khatru
10-05-2004, 04:26 PM
We have to go get some punts blocked in order to bring Dante back into the game IMHO.

Where's Albert Lewis when you need him?