PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else like the way they used Dunn?

Cochise
10-05-2004, 09:13 PM
I thought it was great, and hope we see more of this, at least until Kris Wilson can get back.

Green hit him for 17 yards and a first down on the opening drive and then he had no trouble getting loose in the end zone for a 3 yard strike. Next series, we throw to Dunn on the first play, and then on the next pass, Gonzalez is open in single coverage IIRC, and picks up 13 along the sideline. Tony caught another pass for 18 yards on the following drive, and after that Chris Horn started getting open, and Hall and Morton caught a couple of big passes too. It seemed like the way we came out looking to get Dunn the ball and make the defense account for him really changed the landscape in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I don't know where to get "thrown at" statistics, to see if there were any incompletions where we tried to get him the ball and it didn't work out, but I thought that was pretty impressive game planning. Especially after Ray Lewis loudly proclaimed that all he was doing that night was Tony Gonzalez, making a real effort to get Jason Dunn involved I thought was excellent.

And Dunn doesn't have to be TG, he just has to show that he can catch the ball consistently. What are other teams going to do, double both the tight ends?

Just something I took note of. Hope we can keep factoring him in, especially in the coming weeks against some pretty good teams.

Ultra Peanut
10-05-2004, 09:14 PM
JayDunn in tha house, yeah yeah.

bkkcoh
10-05-2004, 09:16 PM
JayDunn in tha house, yeah yeah.

I believe Trent called him JD. They should really used him more often, that would only open the offense and would give the defense something else to think about when he was in the game.

tk13
10-05-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought having Kris Wilson healthy may have helped through this rough start a little bit, but after watching last night I think maybe he could've helped us at least be 2-2. Wilson's not a world-beater or anything, but just see how Dunn was able to get open... I think just having another weapon out there would help this offense be a little better... especially a TE with 4.5 speed.

Chan93lx50
10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
We should have been using him the first three weeks. As soon as the Ravens realized that our other TE could catch the ball they had to leave Tony in single coverage.

IMHO this opened our Offense backup which has been closed for buisness since last season.

dtebbe
10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Dunn is a MAN. He must go at least 280. He made the Ravens linebackers look small. The fact he can actually catch the ball is pretty awesome.

DT

jcroft
10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I know everyone thinks of JD as the "blocking TE," but it seems to me that the dude has caught basically every pass thrown at him in the past three years. I say keep throwing his way. It can only open things up for Gonzo and the others.

PastorMikH
10-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Dunn is a MAN. He must go at least 280. He made the Ravens linebackers look small. The fact he can actually catch the ball is pretty awesome.

DT

6' 6" 276 lbs according to ESPN.

I think with all the hype around TG everyone seems to forget that Dunn is quite good at catching the ball.

Hoover
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
I really liked Dunn as a TE when he was with Philly, I hope we continue to use him in the offense

Manila-Chief
10-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Seems to me that they used JD in some of the ways they were practicing to use Kris. I mean the spent a lot of time in the offseason practices and in training camp developing plays for him ... since I was not in the coaching box ... maybe they decided to start using the plays with JD.

It worked....

Also, I think getting our WR going will only help the TG and Priest.

Ari Chi3fs
10-05-2004, 11:55 PM
I really liked Jason Dunns TD celebration, Id like that as a gif. Hilarious.

I truly think that he could become a potent part of the offense. Fu*ck, since we dont have Wilson or Kennison... we need to utilize what we DO have so that we dont over-utilize Hall, so he can be potent returning the ball. I havent seen shiot from DHall this year yet.

Im all aboard the JD train.

Spicy McHaggis
10-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Someone did a piece on JD last season, talked about if he hadn't F**ked up his knee(s), he might have been a great recieving tight end who had the speed to make opponents respect him deep. He still has the hands though, I agree that using him more can only help open up this offense and give more 1v1 looks for Tony G.

royr17
10-06-2004, 02:18 AM
The guy still has the hands and is faster than Gonzo, I think the chiefs need to use the guy more often tha what they are using him could you imagine a 3 TE set of Gonzo, Wilson, Dunn, with holmes in the backfield and WR in morton or kennison split out. That would be dangerous.

Douche Baggins
10-06-2004, 02:47 AM
I really liked Jason Dunns TD celebration, Id like that as a gif. Hilarious.

I truly think that he could become a potent part of the offense. Fu*ck, since we dont have Wilson or Kennison... we need to utilize what we DO have so that we dont over-utilize Hall, so he can be potent returning the ball. I havent seen shiot from DHall this year yet.

Im all aboard the JD train.

I prefer his monster spike celebration:

http://jastermereel.homestead.com/files/Dunn.gif

Kraut
10-06-2004, 04:16 AM
A very smart and effective way to use the BIG man! :thumb:

DaWolf
10-06-2004, 06:31 AM
I'm all for getting the ball to the guy who is open! :)

But in all seriousness, it is good to see them diversifying a bit and getting him involved. I think it helped to free up Gonzo on a few plays later on since now they had someone else to worry about. It's always good to see two of the most important yet under the radar pieces on offense, Dunn and T-Rich, get some sugar thrown their way...

InChiefsHell
10-06-2004, 06:36 AM
I've been calling for it all year! Spread the ball around to guys like Dunn and Richardson and (who knew?) Horn. This will free up Priest and Gonzo. After that game, I better never hear about how it's ALL ABOUT PRIEST. He is the center peice, but we DO have other weapons that need to be respected. Proven on MNF.

Bob Dole
10-06-2004, 06:55 AM

DT

He is definitely a large man. It's good to see him catching the ball.

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I was very pleased to see the use of Dunn, even more so because it stops opponents from just playing the run every time Dunn is in the game. I think he's a good secret weapon as a receiver, since he was a starting TE before he came to us and was actually pretty serviceable.

He's got an enormous frame, too. You see him in the huddle, and it looks like he could pick up another 50 pounds and still not be fat.

Off-topic, but does anyone remember that short-lived era in the late 80s or early 90s when the Chiefs had their "run play" left tackle and their "pass play" left tackle? It drove me nuts, because the opponents just keyed off of whomever was lined up there, and we never shook it up. That was just an insane thing to do.

Skip Towne
10-06-2004, 10:11 AM
I was very pleased to see the use of Dunn, even more so because it stops opponents from just playing the run every time Dunn is in the game. I think he's a good secret weapon as a receiver, since he was a starting TE before he came to us and was actually pretty serviceable.

He's got an enormous frame, too. You see him in the huddle, and it looks like he could pick up another 50 pounds and still not be fat.

Off-topic, but does anyone remember that short-lived era in the late 80s or early 90s when the Chiefs had their "run play" left tackle and their "pass play" left tackle? It drove me nuts, because the opponents just keyed off of whomever was lined up there, and we never shook it up. That was just an insane thing to do.
A lot of insane things went on in the 80's. Todd Blackledge and the Wing-T come to mind. But the most ridiculous event of the decade was us picking up an O lineman off a used car lot during the season. The dude was actually selling used cars. Does anybody remember who it was?

KC Kings
10-06-2004, 10:57 AM
<sarcasm> I think it was horrible. JD is a blocking tight end, and only a blocking tight end. He should not be used in the passing game in any circumstance, let alone for first downs or touchdowns. I don't care even if we did spend all training camp running plays designed for 2 TE's to utilize Chris Wilson, unless Green is passing the ball to Tony in double/triple coverage, he should be handing it off to Holmes. </sarcasm>

go bowe
10-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I thought it was great, and hope we see more of this, at least until Kris Wilson can get back.

Green hit him for 17 yards and a first down on the opening drive and then he had no trouble getting loose in the end zone for a 3 yard strike. Next series, we throw to Dunn on the first play, and then on the next pass, Gonzalez is open in single coverage IIRC, and picks up 13 along the sideline. Tony caught another pass for 18 yards on the following drive, and after that Chris Horn started getting open, and Hall and Morton caught a couple of big passes too. It seemed like the way we came out looking to get Dunn the ball and make the defense account for him really changed the landscape in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I don't know where to get "thrown at" statistics, to see if there were any incompletions where we tried to get him the ball and it didn't work out, but I thought that was pretty impressive game planning. Especially after Ray Lewis loudly proclaimed that all he was doing that night was Tony Gonzalez, making a real effort to get Jason Dunn involved I thought was excellent.

And Dunn doesn't have to be TG, he just has to show that he can catch the ball consistently. What are other teams going to do, double both the tight ends?

Just something I took note of. Hope we can keep factoring him in, especially in the coming weeks against some pretty good teams.imagine having gonzo, dunn and wilson...

while they have to account for dunn, wilson is going to be even better and demand more attention...

and if he doesn't get it, he'll be catching much longer passes than dunn...

i can't wait... [licking chops smilie] :thumb:

irishjayhawk
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
imagine having gonzo, dunn and wilson...

while they have to account for dunn, wilson is going to be even better and demand more attention...

and if he doesn't get it, he'll be catching much longer passes than dunn...

i can't wait... [licking chops smilie] :thumb:
Exactly What I thought....

redhed
10-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Green hit him for 17 yards and a first down on the opening drive and then he had no trouble getting loose in the end zone for a 3 yard strike.

The Chiefs ran basically the same play(JD's TD) v Houston. He's usu wide open, 'cuz TG usu draws a crowd (Baltimore game).
I think a big reason they're usuing Dunn more is because he's finally healthy. His knees were all jakked up for most of the season last year. He made a coupla pretty good grabs on MNF, and I think he even beat the coverage on one of them.

royr17
10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
<sarcasm> I think it was horrible. JD is a blocking tight end, and only a blocking tight end. He should not be used in the passing game in any circumstance, let alone for first downs or touchdowns. I don't care even if we did spend all training camp running plays designed for 2 TE's to utilize Chris Wilson, unless Green is passing the ball to Tony in double/triple coverage, he should be handing it off to Holmes. </sarcasm>

You are stupid, Jason Dunn is a blocking Tight End but he is also a receiving tight end and wouldnt be with us if he didnt injure his knees. The guy would've been really good and plus he's as fast as tony gonzalez and has caught everything the chiefs have thrown his way in the past 2 years. This just shows you have no common sense. If you go back and look at whenever we throw it to him he is wide open and he catches everything.

He was a 2nd round draft pick by philly but than he injured his knee and his career as a receiving Tight End was over the only reason he dont run cutting patterns is cause his knees probably cant hold up to it.

Think about what you just said about the guy. The guy is one of the nicest people you will ever meet cause i've met him and if Al would use him just right he would make all of his doubters become believers.

PastorMikH
10-06-2004, 02:50 PM
You are stupid, Jason Dunn is a blocking Tight End but he is also a receiving tight end....

Follow the LINK (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=sarcasm)

:)

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 02:50 PM
I hope we never get a sarcasm smilie on this board. It's much more fun without one.

royr17
10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Well pastor i didnt know if he was being sarcastic or not, ok KC Kings i appologize to you for being a ass, i thought you just had something against Jason Dunn and thats the only reason i made that post towards you. My bad.

PastorMikH
10-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Well pastor i didnt know if he was being sarcastic or not,

ROFL

He kinda caught me with a second take today too. After reading his entire post it was pretty clear to me what he was trying say.

Calcountry
10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey, I called the first TD to Dunn, before the play.

Fairplay
10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
I know everyone thinks of JD as the "blocking TE," but it seems to me that the dude has caught basically every pass thrown at him in the past three years. I say keep throwing his way. It can only open things up for Gonzo and the others.

I don't recall Dunn ever dropping a pass.
A very good offensive weapon and blocker. He did look much bigger when he was walking beside some of the Baltimore defensive players.

Calcountry
10-06-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't recall Dunn ever dropping a pass.
A very good offensive weapon and blocker. He did look much bigger when he was walking beside some of the Baltimore defensive players.
Going back to last year, I don't recall him dropping anything when he was open. Of course they don't go to him often, which makes catching it all the time all the more important.

Props to Dunn.

redhed
10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I hope we never get a sarcasm smilie on this board. It's much more fun without one.

Ain't it da troot!
bwahahahahhaaa...

KC Jones
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM

The guy entered the league projected as a "pass catching" tight end because he has very good hands and had great speed. He tore up his knees, and although he still has good straight ahead speed he doesn't have the ability to make a lot of quick cuts like a WR or Gonzo can. He's reinvented himself as a "blocking TE", but he still has those good hands and good straight line speed.

I've been calling to involve Dunn more in the offense for a while now - glad to see it finally occured to Saunders and company.

cdcox
10-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Dunn was a free agent this off season, and there was talk of him going to Denver*. I was dreading that because I figured he would become a biennial pain in our butt. Carl did a good thing by keeping him in Red and Gold.

*Violated the salary cap during thier championship seasons.

Sure-Oz
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Keep giivng that big mother !@#$%!@#$%!@#$%!@#$%er the ball, get him in for atelast a few catches agame, he will run bitches ova y0!!zz2211

whoman69
10-06-2004, 07:18 PM
What was especially smart was the way they used Ray Lewis' comments after the game last year against them. Lewis said they noticed we could run to Dunn's side when he was in. Not only did they not run to his side when they were stacked that way, they threw the ball to open up the field for the other receivers. That was one of the things lacking from last years strategy, to spread the field with the pass game.

Gaz
10-07-2004, 05:54 AM
Another weapon is ALWAYS a good thing.

Run from the spread formation and throw from the 2TE formation.

Confusion to The Enemy!

xoxo~
Gaz
Optimistic that the O is coming back.

Skip Towne
10-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Hey, I called the first TD to Dunn, before the play.
We'd better shake up our play calling then. If you caught on to it the whole world knows.