PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Notes: Baker cut, Warfield in court, Gun mixes it up with fans...

DaWolf
10-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Baker gets punted again

The Kansas City Star

For the second time this season, the Chiefs released punter Jason Baker.

The Chiefs cut Baker on Tuesday because they believe their regular punter, Steve Cheek, will be ready for the Oct. 17 game in Jacksonville after missing two games with a calf injury.

Cheek remained on the practice squad as of Tuesday.

Baker, who was released in the preseason but re-signed when Cheek was injured, had a low net average of 26.9 yards in his two games with the Chiefs.

HOLMES HONORED: Priest Holmes was chosen the AFC's offensive player of the week after running for 125 yards and scoring two touchdowns in Monday night's 27-24 win in Baltimore. Holmes has received the award five times, including four times with the Chiefs.

The Ravens hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 10 games before Monday. With 476 rushing yards, Holmes leads the NFL in rushing by 21 yards over his nearest pursuer, Tiki Barber of the Giants.

WARFIELD IN COURT: Chiefs defensive back Eric Warfield made his first court appearance Tuesday on a felony charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Warfield, 28, was arrested last month in Overland Park. He was charged with a felony DUI in Johnson County District Court because he has two prior DUI convictions. He is also charged with driving with a suspended license and having no proof of insurance.

INJURY UPDATE: Coach Dick Vermeil was uncertain whether either of the two defensive starters injured in Monday's win, tackle Ryan Sims (hamstring) and linebacker Scott Fujita (ankle), would be ready for Jacksonville.

Vermeil said he believed three players who missed Monday's game wide receiver Eddie Kennison (hamstring), defensive lineman Jared Allen (knee) and nickel back William Bartee (neck) would play against the Jaguars.

CUNNINGHAM MIXES WITH FANS: Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, no stranger to exchanging words with fans in visiting stadiums, was at it again Monday night in Baltimore. Witnesses said Cunningham screamed at some Ravens fans late in the Chiefs' 27-24 win.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said Ravens fans were intentionally blocking Cunningham's line of sight to the field. Cunningham sits in the press box during games. In Baltimore, fans are seated directly in front of the press box.

While he was the Chiefs' head coach, Cunningham engaged in a shouting match with Raiders fans as he exited the field after his team completed a comeback victory in Oakland.

Adam Teicher and Tony Rizzo/The Star

link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9845122.htm)

Ari Chi3fs
10-06-2004, 03:57 AM
WARFIELD IN COURT: Chiefs defensive back Eric Warfield made his first court appearance Tuesday on a felony charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Warfield, 28, was arrested last month in Overland Park. He was charged with a felony DUI in Johnson County District Court because he has two prior DUI convictions. He is also charged with driving with a suspended license and having no proof of insurance.

I bet the judge was like... damn fine game last night Mr Warfield.

ptlyon
10-06-2004, 06:16 AM
Baker, who was released in the preseason but re-signed when Cheek was injured, had a low net average of 26.9 yards in his two games with the Chiefs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Shields could punt better than that assclown.

chief52
10-06-2004, 06:50 AM
"Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said Ravens fans were intentionally blocking Cunningham's line of sight to the field. Cunningham sits in the press box during games. In Baltimore, fans are seated directly in front of the press box."

That did look like a real poor set up there in Baltimore. The press box was not really elevated much at all. I can see more problems developing there as the year goes on. If fans can intentionally shield the coaching staff, you are going to have problems.

philfree
10-06-2004, 07:07 AM
I bet the judge was like... damn fine game last night Mr Warfield.

Judge: O.K. I'm in a good mood this morning so Mr. Warfield it's the maximum for you. 15 yards first down Jacksonville!( bangs gavel) Next case!

PhilFree :arrow:

HarryParatestes
10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Mr Warfield...you have been found gulity as charged...

Bailiff...WHACK HIS PEE-PEE !

Lzen
10-06-2004, 07:56 AM
"Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said Ravens fans were intentionally blocking Cunningham's line of sight to the field. Cunningham sits in the press box during games. In Baltimore, fans are seated directly in front of the press box."

That did look like a real poor set up there in Baltimore. The press box was not really elevated much at all. I can see more problems developing there as the year goes on. If fans can intentionally shield the coaching staff, you are going to have problems.

Yeah, no chit. The league should step in and have security or something. That is a definite problem that creates a major disadvantage to the opposing team. That's not right.

Oh and thank God Baker is gone. I don't understand why Cheek is still on the practice squad. Hope nobody swipes him.

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Wow, lots of news in a small article there.

1. If those Ravens fans are intentionally blocking the opposing coordinators' field of vision, the league needs to block off those seats and not let the Ravens sell them. That's inexcusable. The fans should've been removed from the stadium as well.

2. How could Warfield have been so stupid? How, how, how? :banghead:

3. I'll be bummed if Fujita can't play.

4. If Sims can't play, will we go Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Allen? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Allen? It seems like Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning might be the approach that requires the least shuffling.

donkhater
10-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Oh and thank God Baker is gone. I don't understand why Cheek is still on the practice squad. Hope nobody swipes him.

If someone signs him off the practice squad he has to be on their active roster for at least one week. The only teams that would try to sign him would those looking for a punter this week. Knowing that he is on the practice squad due to an injury, I doubt any team would sign him, only to discover he isn't ready to punt and waste a roster spot for an extra punter.

I doubt they will elevate him to the active roster until just before the game with Jacksonville. If they elevate him now and he gets hurt, they will have to expose him to waivers again before signing him back to the practice squad. However, once he clears waivers he can sign with ANYONE's practice squad and KC can't do anything about it.

If, however, someone were to try and sign him off the practice squad now, the Chiefs can merely activate him to prevent losing him.

milkman
10-06-2004, 09:07 AM

4. If Sims can't play, will we go Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Allen? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Allen? It seems like Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning might be the approach that requires the least shuffling.

I was pretty happy with the LB play after Fugita went out, so I'm not really concerend ther.

If Holliday sees the field for more than a handful of plays in any game for the rest of the season, the perceived improvement on defense will just disappear.

J Diddy
10-06-2004, 09:07 AM
If someone signs him off the practice squad he has to be on their active roster for at least one week. The only teams that would try to sign him would those looking for a punter this week. Knowing that he is on the practice squad due to an injury, I doubt any team would sign him, only to discover he isn't ready to punt and waste a roster spot for an extra punter.

I doubt they will elevate him to the active roster until just before the game with Jacksonville. If they elevate him now and he gets hurt, they will have to expose him to waivers agin before signing him to the practice squad. Once he clears waivers he can sign with ANYONE's practice squad.

If someone were to try and sign him off the practice squad now, the Chiefs can merely activate him to prevent losing him.

If he gets signed to another teams active roster he has to be there a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks.

donkhater
10-06-2004, 09:09 AM
If he gets signed to another teams active roster he has to be there a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks.
Is it? That's why I said at least one week. I wasn't sure what the time frame was. Interesting. A team needs to be absolutely sure about a guy then if they want to sign a guy like that.

Lzen
10-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, donkhater and J Diddy. I wasn't sure how that worked.

milkman,
I agree with you on Holliday. He has been a waste of space. Jared Allen and Browning are outplaying him at that end position. On a related note, I was happy to see Hicks not bite on that one bootleg by Boller. :thumb:

milkman
10-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, donkhater and J Diddy. I wasn't sure how that worked.

milkman,
I agree with you on Holliday. He has been a waste of space. Jared Allen and Browning are outplaying him at that end position. On a related note, I was happy to see Hicks not bite on that one bootleg by Boller. :thumb:

And Dalton and Siavii have outplayed Browning in that position.

I'm not surprised by that, since I've said for 3 years that Browning should be at DE.
He's productive there.
He's overmatched in the middle.

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Gotta love Gun.

Lzen
10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
And Dalton and Siavii have outplayed Browning in that position.

I'm not surprised by that, since I've said for 3 years that Browning should be at DE.
He's productive there.
He's overmatched in the middle.

I agree. I think it should be Hicks, Sims, Dalton, and Browing. With Siavii getting good rotation in the tackle positions and Wilkerson and Allen getting rotation in the end positions. Also Stills at end on long passing situations worked pretty well against the Ravens.

milkman
10-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I agree. I think it should be Hicks, Sims, Dalton, and Browing. With Siavii getting good rotation in the tackle positions and Wilkerson and Allen getting rotation in the end positions. Also Stills at end on long passing situations worked pretty well against the Ravens.

We're on the same page.
I really thought that Stills had his best game in some time.
I haven't really been a fan of putting Stills in the game on D, because I felt he wasn't doing anything when he's in there.

If he plays as well for the rest of the season as he did MN, then I'll be fine with that.

As for Holliday, I wish he had been cut, and Downing had remained on the roster.

If nothing else, he adds entertainment value on this BB, with Nap's Eric Downing fan club.
That's a far bigger contribution than Holliday adds.

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 09:54 AM
So if Sims can't play, will you replace him with Siavii? Or with Browning, and put someone else at DE?

Mr. Laz
10-06-2004, 09:58 AM

because He is/was injured

AND because we have right to first refusal for any contract offers to players on our practice squad.

if someone tries to sign him we will just promote im to the regular squad.

why move him off the practice squad until your 100% sure he's healthy

milkman
10-06-2004, 09:58 AM
So if Sims can't play, will you replace him with Siavii? Or with Browning, and put someone else at DE?

I'd replace him with Siavii.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Browning,Dalton,Savaii,Hicks

holliday and allen should both stay as backups

Lzen
10-06-2004, 10:21 AM
because He is/was injured

AND because we have right to first refusal for any contract offers to players on our practice squad.

if someone tries to sign him we will just promote im to the regular squad.

why move him off the practice squad until your 100% sure he's healthy

Well that I didn't know. So, let me get this straight. When a player is released, they first have to clear the waivers. Then at that point, you sign to the practice squad and you can put him on the regular roster if another team tries to sign him away?

Lzen
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree. If Sims is out, Hicks, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning seem to be the most effective lineup.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
When a player is released, they first have to clear the waivers.

Then at that point, you sign to the practice squad

you can put him on the regular roster if another team tries to sign him away?

yes

ct
10-06-2004, 10:26 AM
On a related note, I was happy to see Hicks not bite on that one bootleg by Boller. :thumb:

Here Here!! Bout damn time our DE maintains their responsibility!!

go bowe
10-06-2004, 10:29 AM

1. If those Ravens fans are intentionally blocking the opposing coordinators' field of vision, the league needs to block off those seats and not let the Ravens sell them. That's inexcusable. The fans should've been removed from the stadium as well.

2. How could Warfield have been so stupid? How, how, how? :banghead:

4. If Sims can't play, will we go Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Browning/Dalton/Allen? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Holliday? Or maybe Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Allen? It seems like Hicks/Siavii/Dalton/Browning might be the approach that requires the least shuffling.with holliday supposedly healthy, i'm afraid it will be holliday, dalton, browning and hicks...

despite some mistakes and being beaten a few times, siavii looked pretty good to me...

hopefully, he will continue to improve with experience and more coaching...

go bowe
10-06-2004, 10:31 AM

milkman,
I agree with you on Holliday. He has been a waste of space. Jared Allen and Browning are outplaying him at that end position. On a related note, I was happy to see Hicks not bite on that one bootleg by Boller. :thumb:i wonder what's happened to jimmy wilkerson??

haven't seen too much of him...

Demonpenz
10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't think having some of the same guys out there longer is such a bad thing, especially on throwing downs, you have to get in rhythim with your swim and rip moves, hopefully if the guys play longer together they can get chem together and run a good stunt.

go bowe
10-06-2004, 10:33 AM
I was pretty happy with the LB play after Fugita went out, so I'm not really concerend ther.

If Holliday sees the field for more than a handful of plays in any game for the rest of the season, the perceived improvement on defense will just disappear.yeah, mitchell did pretty well at mlb...

even though lewis managed to get the ball over the plane of the goal line, mitchell stopped him and drove him backwards holding onto his leg...

i was duly impressed...

go bowe
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I agree. If Sims is out, Hicks, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning seem to be the most effective lineup.effeective, for sure, but who do you rotate in at dt?

there's nobody left...

blueballs
12-20-2008, 08:36 AM
random thread bump
of the day

Gonzo
12-20-2008, 08:38 AM
why?

FringeNC
12-20-2008, 10:22 AM
CUNNINGHAM MIXES WITH FANS: Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, no stranger to exchanging words with fans in visiting stadiums, was at it again Monday night in Baltimore. Witnesses said Cunningham screamed at some Ravens fans late in the Chiefs' 27-24 win.

In five years, the only entertainment we got from Gun in his return.

InChiefsHell
12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I met Warfield here in Omaha at a Beef function...actually a pretty nice guy, I was bullshitting with him for about 10 minutes...and yeah, he was drinking...

Tribesman
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I met Warfield here in Omaha at a Beef function...actually a pretty nice guy, I was bullshitting with him for about 10 minutes...and yeah, he was drinking...

What was the amount of his last contract w/ the Chiefs? For a poser he's done quite well for himself.

eazyb81
12-20-2008, 12:25 PM

He was always drinking at Blonde in KC, even after his DUIs. He's a dumbass.

Lzen
12-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree. If Sims is out, Hicks, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning seem to be the most effective lineup.

Wow. How freakin' sad is that? :shake:

Jamie
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow. How freakin' sad is that? :shake:

And yet the pass rush is somehow worse this year.