PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Official "Lost" the series discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

patteeu
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
It is starting to sink in the maybe, just maybe, Season 3 was better than Season 2.

Still waiting for any dissenting opinions, though. :p

I think 3 is better than 2 also. I didn't watch 1, but if you didn't like the hatch/others story line I'm not sure whether you'll like season 3 a whole lot because, obviously, that storyline continues. Personally, I liked it though so I don't want to discourage you.

Start watching the season 3 episodes and see if it draws you back in. :shrug:

Frazod
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I still haven't watched the last two episodes from last season, which I still have on my DVR. In the last episode I watched, they had everything all planned out to take the fight to the Others, but then I could tell from the previews of the next episode that things got all f#cked up as usual. That just kind of sapped my interest in watching anything else, and honestly, I may be done with this show. I'm just sick of being jerked around by this show.

ct
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I still haven't watched the last two episodes from last season, which I still have on my DVR. In the last episode I watched, they had everything all planned out to take the fight to the Others, but then I could tell from the previews of the next episode that things got all f#cked up as usual. That just kind of sapped my interest in watching anything else, and honestly, I may be done with this show. I'm just sick of being jerked around by this show.

You really need to watch the last 2 episodes.

DaWolf
10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Agreed...

DRU
10-03-2007, 03:59 PM
When does the new season start?

irishjayhawk
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
When does the new season start?

Feb. I think the 16th.

BigRedChief
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Yep cleared a lot of things up.

Guru
12-19-2007, 03:01 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYDFfW5o-dY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYDFfW5o-dY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I thought this was not going to air at all in 2008? Is this more of a movie hence "The Return" or did they decide to air the eps that were canned regardless of the writers strike?

BigRedChief
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I thought this was not going to air at all in 2008? Is this more of a movie hence "The Return" or did they decide to air the eps that were canned regardless of the writers strike?
It's the webisodes that they are promoting to clear up mystery's but doesn't clear up much to me. Just pr promotion before it comes back on the air in January.

cookster50
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Last I heard they are going to show a 8 episode mini-season. Of course, it would have been a full season, but the writers strike stopped that.

Frazod
12-19-2007, 09:44 AM

I watched it last week. Much better than I thought it would be, and I really liked the twist ending.

Buck
12-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Feb. I think the 16th.
Nope, Thursday January 31st.

Buck
01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Days Bitches!!!

Deberg_1990
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Only 8 episodes this season thanks to the writers strike.

Buck
01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Only 8 episodes this season thanks to the writers strike.

True, the season will be over before we know it.

Although, its been 8 Months since the last episode, I am having withdrawals.

TinyEvel
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to watch the ubiquitous "season catch up" recap episode the night before the premier, just to remind myself WTF was goign on when they broke.

Buck
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm going to have to watch the ubiquitous "season catch up" recap episode the night before the premier, just to remind myself WTF was goign on when they broke.

Yeah, I got the DVD and watched it just about before Christmas.

keg in kc
01-30-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm going to have to watch the ubiquitous "season catch up" recap episode the night before the premier, just to remind myself WTF was goign on when they broke.Friendly reminder to all that they're reairing last season's finale TONIGHT (wednesday 1/30), and I think is somehow annotated with additional information.

Season premeire is thursday.

Mr. Plow
01-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I didn't realize this was tonight until I started looking through my future DVR recordings and I see 3 episodes of LOST.

I'll have to watch tonights episode after the KU/KSU game.

Chiefnj2
01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Descriptions of the entire season premiere are posted all over the place. Not bad, but you don't seem to learn much new.

Baby Lee
01-31-2008, 07:18 AM
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/missingpieces/index?pn=index

I had forgotten about these, just watched them. Little snippets of connective information of varying degrees of interest. But it does provide enough info to merit a recommendation. 12 snippets, about 35 or so minutes in all.

Some things revealed

Juliet told Jack that she was still working for Ben, and that Sun would die is she didn't get off the island before giving birth.

Ben told Jack that if he got off the island, there would come a day when he wished he hadn't, and when that day came he should remember he told him it would.

Artz didn't trust Jack because he saw him in the jungle crying for his daddy [back when Jack thought he saw him walking around the island].

Juliet used her story of how Ben saved her sister's life and let her sister return to a normal life in Miami to convince Michael to kill the girls in order to save Walt. [ie, to convince him that Ben could and would save Walt]

The Others are bat-shit scared of Walt. They had him sequestered in a room, and the ground below the boarded up window to it was littered with dozens of dead birds that apparently flew into the board.

Baby Lee
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Another, apparently final, missing piece

http://lostmobisodes.blogspot.com/2008/01/missing-piece-13-so-it-begins.html

Jack's [very much alive] dad dispataches Walt's dog to wake Jack up in the forest immediately after the crash because 'he [Jack] has work to do'

BigRedChief
01-31-2008, 09:30 AM
so who is in the coffin?

Buck
01-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Celebration Bitches!!!

Guru
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
meh

irishjayhawk
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Great episode. Restored my hope. Mediocre 40 minutes but the last 20 was solid.

Guru
01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
"they need you"

That is what was written on the hand of the mysterious swimming figure while Hurley was in the interrogation room.

Buck
02-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Wow, great season opener!

schneider221
02-01-2008, 12:50 AM
"they need you"

That is what was written on the hand of the mysterious swimming figure while Hurley was in the interrogation room.

it wasn't so mysterious actually. i thought it was pretty clearly Charlie based on him showing up later and the hoodie he had on.

Guru
02-01-2008, 01:16 AM
it wasn't so mysterious actually. i thought it was pretty clearly Charlie based on him showing up later and the hoodie he had on.
Agreed. Just don't want to be to obvious for anyone that may not have put that together.

Bump
02-01-2008, 01:57 AM
good season premier! can't wait for next week!

ChiefFan31
02-01-2008, 03:25 AM
That was a good season premier. Still a damn good series. Too bad there is only 8 total for season 4.

BigRedChief
02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Who are the Oceanic 6? Freckles, Hurley, Jack, Sawyer and.....

Who's in the coffin? Has to be Locke? He's the only non friend, family he would go see correct?

Whats the timeline in the future? We see a drunk, bearded Jack and a "normal" jack.

BigRedChief
02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Best eye candy on TV. Freckles
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/264381~Evangeline-Lilly-Posters.jpg

Chiefnj2
02-01-2008, 08:17 AM

You have 3 of 4 correct. 2nd Hint: everyone agrees that giving birth on the isle isn't a good idea.

Who's in the coffin? Has to be Locke? He's the only non friend, family he would go see correct?

Whats the timeline in the future? We see a drunk, bearded Jack and a "normal" jack.

When Jack is playing BBall with Hurley he says he is thinking of growing a beard, so it is likely that visit came way before the drunk bearded Jack.

BigRedChief
02-01-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm basing the Sawyer pick as the 4th one because Freckles told Jack that she had to get back because "he" was waiting for her. "He" could be anyone but thats my pick for who "he" is. Sawyer.

noa
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
The coffin seemed way too small for it to be Locke

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2008, 12:54 PM
The coffin seemed way too small for it to be Locke

I think it was Walt

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
im so lost in regards to that shows plot it makes my head hurt :doh!:

Bearcat
02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll probably watch it online over the weekend... I swear the Apprentice and Lost were synched to the second for commercials. I saw the very beginning with the car chase, and thought it was interesting that they continued with the flash-forwards. I wonder how far they'll go with it... if they'll rerun the flash-forwards as an episode or if the ending will meet somewhere in the middle. Guess I should watch last night's episode first. ;)

Adept Havelock
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I think it was Walt

Nah. It's what's left of Locke after the Smoke Monster ripped his legs off and beat him to death with them.

cookster50
02-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm basing the Sawyer pick as the 4th one because Freckles told Jack that she had to get back because "he" was waiting for her. "He" could be anyone but thats my pick for who "he" is. Sawyer.

Too convenient, that is what they want you to think, therefore there is no way that is the correct explanation :)

irishjayhawk
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
That was a good season premier. Still a damn good series. Too bad there is only 8 total for season 4.

Depends on the strike. If it ends tomorrow, I bet they go into rush shooting.

ct
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Too convenient, that is what they want you to think, therefore there is no way that is the correct explanation :)

Completely agree!! I think she's referring to the "HE" that has often been referred to, as in The Man! Is it Jacob? Hanso? Also had a friend who suggested perhaps "He" is her son, she's been rumored to also be pregnant from Sawyer.

Anyway, I don't think Sawyer is one of the six. I'm guessing Locke is in the casket, and maybe Sun/Jin are the other 2 of the six. Just a wild guess to get the other preggers female off the island for awhile, with enough time to have the baby safely.

irishjayhawk
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
In case people missed it:

SPOILERS

In Jacob's house sat Jack's dad. (Christian)

Bearcat
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
When Jack is playing BBall with Hurley he says he is thinking of growing a beard, so it is likely that visit came way before the drunk bearded Jack.

Interesting episode... yeah, it looks like those who return will all go crazy. Hurly also said 'it wants us to go back' (or something like that), so I'm sure 'it' will start going after each person that got off the island.

Between Desmond's deja vu ("you're going to die, Charlie") and Hurley's friend that originally gave him the lotto numbers, it definitely seems like a cycle. Everyone who returns goes crazy because 'it' wants them back on the island, leading to a sequence of events that ends in another plane crash/ship wreck/whatever.

Having watched the entire episode, I like the fast-forwarding, but as long as it's not dragged out to the point where we're trying to piece together the past, present, and future all at the same time.

Adept Havelock
02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
In case people missed it:

SPOILERS

In Jacob's house sat Jack's dad. (Christian)

Yeah, I thought that was him. Very interesting, considering he's spoken of in the present tense during last seasons flash-forward.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the first three seasons were flash backs and now we're doing reverse flash forwards.

Too bad too. I had that concept for a film idea I had.

KCTitus
02-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Im not sure what to think about the show...the flash forward to end last season really sucked me in, but now it seems the 'games' will go on between the writers and the audience.

Now instead of flash backs, we're getting flash 'forwards' to the future all the while -- piecing the story of how they got off the island with hints in the flash forwards while not advance the actual story of the time on the island.

Is it necessary to be this confusing about the story line? Is the story that weak that the writers must play these riddles on the audience to keep them interested?

I guess so...

So many abandoned plot lines it's not funny. I certainly hope that the series finale answers all of those questions -- it would probably be about a 4 hour episode.

I still insist that the title 'lost' refers to the audience...and the joke is on the audience, because the stuff the writers keep throwing in the show just further confuses the audience.

Stryker
02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the Oceanic 6 are:

Kate, Jack, Sun, Jin, Hurley and Juliette

I think the person in the coffin is Juliette. I do not believe the SIZE of the coffin thing. Looked pretty normal to me. This is the only logical reason why Jack is so distraught. Of course Kate would not have gone to the wake - she did not like her.

I do think that Kate's "HE" is her son. Kate has become normal again for some reason while Hurley and Jack have different outcomes upon "returning".

Locke is not going to leave the island unless FORCED to leave the island.

I also believe the people on the freighter are the Dharma group wanting to come back and reclaim the island - this will lead to a compromise between the remaining "Losties" and the "others" to fend off the Dharma group.

When Jack visited Hurley while playing basket ball, Jack asked him if he said anything - that being that there are STILL survivors on the island. I do not believe that the "six" let anyone know that other survivors exist.

irishjayhawk
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Tonight at 8!

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Now instead of flash backs, we're getting flash 'forwards' to the future all the while -- piecing the story of how they got off the island with hints in the flash forwards while not advance the actual story of the time on the island.

You won't be happy with tonights episode. It's an introduction to the freighter people and sets up the rest of season 3. Throw some more info your way without answering other questions.

Guru
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
booooooring

irishjayhawk
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Loved tonights episode, and it looks like I'm in the minority.

Love the direction.

Guru
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Love the direction.
so far, both episodes were garbage until the final 10 minutes. This is not the FAST start they kept promising us.

By the way, the flashbacks have not stopped. We are seeing the show from the future perspective now. The islands scenes ARE the flashBACKS now.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
so far, both episodes were garbage until the final 10 minutes. This is not the FAST start they kept promising us.

By the way, the flashbacks have not stopped. We are seeing the show from the future perspective now. The islands scenes ARE the flashBACKS now.
The flashbacks tonight were flashbacks.

thurman merman
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
what a weak episode. they better get to the damn point if they are only going to have 8 episodes this season.

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Love the direction.
I am with you. I liked tonights episode. Seems like it was only 5 min long.

Good news is the writers strike is over now deal has been signed. So other tv should be back shortly.

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
what a weak episode. they better get to the damn point if they are only going to have 8 episodes this season.
They wont get to the point when there is still 2 and a half seasons left i beleive. They will just be short seasons.

Baby Lee
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Charlotte Staples [C.S./Clive Staples] Lewis, both from Oxford.
Daniel Faraday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Baby Lee
02-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Anyone heard anything about the HO factor?

Baby Lee
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
What's the deal with Daniel in the dress shirt/skinny tie, and Miles with the 'Frodo of the Shire' hoodie?

irishjayhawk
02-08-2008, 09:07 AM

It's a pretty fast start thus far. We've found out a lot. And the flashbacks are back. I figured they'd continue with flash forwards working back but I was wrong.

It seems like they know their purpose now that they've defined how long the show goes.

BigRedChief
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Disagree with this. I like the first two episodes. We already know who they are, why they are here and who sent them. In the past that would have taken a full season to divluge.

BigRedChief
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Anyone have any fun with Sawyers nickname generator on the official website:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=nickname

My real name came out as Jumbotron

BRC = Babar

Guru = Chewie

patteeu
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Charlotte Staples [C.S./Clive Staples] Lewis, both from Oxford.
Daniel Faraday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Anyone heard anything about the HO factor?

Could someone translate these for me? Baby Lee is talking over my head.

patteeu
02-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Anyone have any fun with Sawyers nickname generator on the official website:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=nickname

My real name came out as Jumbotron

BRC = Babar

Guru = Chewie

You can call me "Sugarpop". :hmmm:

Baby Lee
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Could someone translate these for me? Baby Lee is talking over my head.
Charlotte Staples Lewis from Oxford [at least according to Ben] is the bitchy redhead hanging out with Locke's group.
C.S. Lewis is [ugh, is that information really over your head?] a Christian philosopher, colleague of J.R.R. Tolkein [who was the author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is a major novel series that Peter Jackson [who is a director] made into a blockbuster [which means popular] trilogy [which means three related movies introduced in order]. Lewis also authored the Chronicles of Narnia.

Daniel Faraday is the skinny tie wearing dude hanging out with Jack's group. He states he's a physicist.
Michael Faraday TOP QUOTE THE FIRST LINE OF THE LINK "was an English chemist and physicist (or natural philosopher, in the terminology of that time) who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry."

The HO thing is just another line of speculation. H is the 8th and O is the 15th letter in the alphabet, relating to 'the numbers' and of course the flight #. Jack and Hurley's game of HORSE was cut short at HO. There were apparently a number of shots where the letters HO are prominent in the background, and Hurley told dead-Chahhley that he saw him right next to the Ho-Hos. So it appears that people are researching if this is something that's been going on for some time or something new or possibly just a coincidence.

Adept Havelock
02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
You can call me "Sugarpop". :hmmm:

Pleezedtameetcha, Sugarpop. I'm Brainpan.

patteeu
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Charlotte Staples Lewis from Oxford [at least according to Ben] is the bitchy redhead hanging out with Locke's group.
C.S. Lewis is [ugh, is that information really over your head?] a Christian philosopher, colleague of J.R.R. Tolkein [who was the author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is a major novel series that Peter Jackson [who is a director] made into a blockbuster [which means popular] trilogy [which means three related movies introduced in order]. Lewis also authored the Chronicles of Narnia.

Daniel Faraday is the skinny tie wearing dude hanging out with Jack's group. He states he's a physicist.
Michael Faraday TOP QUOTE THE FIRST LINE OF THE LINK "was an English chemist and physicist (or natural philosopher, in the terminology of that time) who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry."

The HO thing is just another line of speculation. H is the 8th and O is the 15th letter in the alphabet, relating to 'the numbers' and of course the flight #. Jack and Hurley's game of HORSE was cut short at HO. There were apparently a number of shots where the letters HO are prominent in the background, and Hurley told dead-Chahhley that he saw him right next to the Ho-Hos. So it appears that people are researching if this is something that's been going on for some time or something new or possibly just a coincidence.

Thanks.

I was completely unaware of the HO thing.

I figured out the connection between your Faraday link and the character from the freighter. I didn't catch the name of the chick from the freighter, and as a consequence, had no idea about the similarity between her name and cs lewis.

And now I know what people mean when they talk about a "trilogy" too! Outstanding. :)

Baby Lee
02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I was completely unaware of the HO thing.
I just read about it, which was why I phrased the post in terms of an inquiry. ie, hoping others knew more about it than I.

Chiefnj2
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the show. I'm a little leary of introducing 4 or more new characters when some of the older characters need to be developed and/or killed off. Has Claire served a purpose other than spitting out the baby? Does freckles serve a purpose other than to be grabbed and held at gunpoint/knifepoint?

Even though this weeks episode didn't move the plot very far forward, it is neat to see that the 815 survivors turned into the Others. Jack pulled the same trick that Smiley played on him - put the guns down, Oh yeah, you are surrounded... Some of the 815 want to stay on the island like some of the Others,(Ben and the others that are taking refuge) while others want to leave (Jack/Juliette). Just as the others drove out Dharma, the 815ers have tried to drive out the Others (albeit in a less deadly manner for the most part). Kind of a neat role reversal.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
booooooring

WTF?

1. New character watching the underwater footage of flight 815. Begins crying. Doesn't know why.

2. New character (Asian) speaks with the dead. Also, shouted "Don't say my last name!". Candle? (Dr. Marvin Candle was seen in the orientation films).

3. New character finds a polar bear in Tunisia wearing a Dharma symbol.

4. New characters pushed out of a helicopter during an electrical storm and don't know why.

5. Locke shot through the kidney (there's irony for ya).

So what's really happening?

BigRedChief
02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the show. Does freckles serve a purpose other than to be grabbed and held at gunpoint/knifepoint?

Are you blind?
http://www.blogcadre.com/files/images/evangeline_lilly.thumbnail.jpg
http://phenomenaonbreak.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/evangeline-lillyfap.jpg

Third Eye
02-09-2008, 01:51 AM
WTF?

1. New character watching the underwater footage of flight 815. Begins crying. Doesn't know why.

2. New character (Asian) speaks with the dead. Also, shouted "Don't say my last name!". Candle? (Dr. Marvin Candle was seen in the orientation films).

3. New character finds a polar bear in Tunisia wearing a Dharma symbol.

4. New characters pushed out of a helicopter during an electrical storm and don't know why.

5. Locke shot through the kidney (there's irony for ya).

So what's really happening?
But we hear Miles last name later in the episode. It is Straume.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
But we hear Miles last name later in the episode. It is Straume.

I don't think that's his "real" last name.

Baby Lee
02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think that's his "real" last name.
C'mon, Miles Straume [Maelstrom] can't be made up.

thurman merman
02-10-2008, 06:16 PM
so, now that the strike is over, does that mean there will be more episodes of LOST this season? or is there not enough time to get more of them done?

Guru
02-10-2008, 07:15 PM
so, now that the strike is over, does that mean there will be more episodes of LOST this season? or is there not enough time to get more of them done?

I think some of the series, like Lost, will be trying to get a full season in.

Buck
02-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I think some of the series, like Lost, will be trying to get a full season in.

Yay

Third Eye
02-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Not the gospel truth by any means, but this source says 2nd half of this season to air in the fall.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8224988

Guru
02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Not the gospel truth by any means, but this source says 2nd half of this season to air in the fall.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8224988
This probably needs its own thread for us to get our updates from.

Third Eye
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
This probably needs its own thread for us to get our updates from.
I thought about it, but I somewhat question its "officialness."

Guru
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I thought about it, but I somewhat question its "officialness."
Anything is better than nothing.

noa
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Sayid as a hitman. Awesome.

irishjayhawk
02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Sayid as a hitman. Awesome.

So true. Although, I thought the end was more lame than surprising. That said, quality episode.

thurman merman
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
fantastic episode. by far the best of the season so far, in my opinion.

BigRedChief
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
fantastic episode. by far the best of the season so far, in my opinion.
Yep, this may turn out to be the best run of shows since season 1.

Very cool.They finally got this show turned around.

Guru
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
One question....

Why is it that the clock on the little rocket stayed correct when it landed but Faraday's watch changed?

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2008, 12:22 AM
One question....

Why is it that the clock on the little rocket stayed correct when it landed but Faraday's watch changed?

No offense but have you been WATCHING the show? At all?

Three words for you: Time travel.

Guru
02-15-2008, 01:30 AM

That is two words. But I am certain you have a reason for that. This show has been losing me. I have seen every ep and time travel has not stuck out in my mind.

Still seems like a valid question though if it is affecting everyone on the island then it should affect the rocket too.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
That is two words. But I am certain you have a reason for that. This show has been losing me. I have seen every ep and time travel has not stuck out in my mind.

Still seems like a valid question though if it is affecting everyone on the island then it should affect the rocket too.

Hey Zeus, Dude. That was joke. Sense of humor much?

As far as LOST, I'd advise reading spoilers on the internet. It seems that the plot and premise are beyond your current comprehension.

LOST is like the "Twilight Zone" and "A Brief History of Time" all wrapped into a one a hour series, along with Biblical retribution throw in for S&G.

Guru
02-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey Zeus, Dude. That was joke. Sense of humor much?

As far as LOST, I'd advise reading spoilers on the internet. It seems that the plot and premise are beyond your current comprehension.

LOST is like the "Twilight Zone" and "A Brief History of Time" all wrapped into a one a hour series, along with Biblical retribution throw in for S&G.
I have a fine sense of humor when it makes some sense. Yours is always lost on me.

I am aware of the lost spoilers and have not read any talking about time travel. Maybe you would be kind enough to share.

Based on your posts, I would imagine you won't though.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2008, 01:59 AM
I have a fine sense of humor when it makes some sense. Yours is always lost on me.

I am aware of the lost spoilers and have not read any talking about time travel. Maybe you would be kind enough to share.

Based on your posts, I would imagine you won't though.

I'm getting ready to head out for the night.

I'll try to link to some insight tomorrow.

There has bee speculation from day one that the Losties are lost in time.

It's nothing new.

Sorry about the humor. I guess I'm like the Nick Drake/Lost of comedians.

You'll get it in 30 years.

Guru
02-15-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm getting ready to head out for the night.

I'll try to link to some insight tomorrow.

There has bee speculation from day one that the Losties are lost in time.

It's nothing new.

Sorry about the humor. I guess I'm like the Nick Drake/Lost of comedians.

You'll get it in 30 years.
Don't you mean 31? :)

I had a rough day so, sorry for laying into ya on the subject. Just don't like to be told I am slow. LOST has just been an irritating show for me but I keep coming back hoping it can get back to season 1 form.

Bump
02-15-2008, 03:26 AM
damn I need to get tivo or something, I'm always out on Thursday nights

SithCeNtZ
02-15-2008, 11:33 AM

The problem with time travel explaining things is that time travel is not consistent with anything on the island. It explains the rocket, but does not explain how they can communicate with the present on a whim. Actually, I'm struggling to come up with any scientific theories that could actually explain both. I'm thinking the concept of time on the island is not really going to have a logical scientific explanation, it's going to be a view of time that has hand picked principles from different theories that may or may not be true and they just mashed it all together for entertainment purposes.

SithCeNtZ
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Or, I suppose, you could go with this theory: Time isn't actually delayed, the timer just got screwed up in the electromagnetic field that surrounds the island. Simple logical explanation that stays within reality.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
The problem with time travel explaining things is that time travel is not consistent with anything on the island. It explains the rocket, but does not explain how they can communicate with the present on a whim. Actually, I'm struggling to come up with any scientific theories that could actually explain both. I'm thinking the concept of time on the island is not really going to have a logical scientific explanation, it's going to be a view of time that has hand picked principles from different theories that may or may not be true and they just mashed it all together for entertainment purposes.

Carlton Cuse has said in many interviews that Desmond was actually time-traveling when he visited Penny in Season Three. The episode was titled "Catch-22".

There will most certainly be a time-travel aspect to the show. In last night's episode, Jack asked about the Red Sox winning the World Series. In reality, not only did the Red Sox win the WS in 2004 (just after they were "Lost") but also in 2007.

So which WS was Lapidus referring to?

Additionally, Charlotte Lewis was shocked when speaking with Locke's group, stating "So you've been here all this time?". I don't think she'd be that surprised if it had only been 100 days.

dtebbe
02-15-2008, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=BigRedChief]Are you blind?
http://www.blogcadre.com/files/images/evangeline_lilly.thumbnail.jpg

http://stopwatches.com/pix/hitittwice.jpg

Baby Lee
02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Picture of Ben's childhood sweetie.
http://www.lostisagame.com/photos/320/classroom_books.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-8932758-1581517?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coalwood+way
The Coalwood Way by Homer Hickam (Hardcover - Sep 30, 2000)

Baby Lee
02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/R7VUBG3EfKI/AAAAAAAATvo/FdbfNot1bAU/s1600/lost.s04e03.720p.hdtv.x264-ctu.mkv_001517849.jpg
Michael Faraday
http://itp.nyu.edu/~nql3186/electricity/images/faraday.gif

Frazod
02-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Just watched last week's episode.

I love the new direction the show has taken (and it really needed one, too). I'm completely hooked again.

Ari Chi3fs
02-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, this season is going to be great, too bad its only 8 episodes. It should come back on in June or something, though.

Sayid doing the dirty work for Ben, holy shit.

I want to know whose casket was in last years season finale.

I still think its Walt.

BigMeatballDave
02-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah, this season is going to be great, too bad its only 8 episodes. It should come back on in June or something, though.

Sayid doing the dirty work for Ben, holy shit.

I want to know whose casket was in last years season finale.

I still think its Walt.They are supposed to add 5 more episodes this spring, now that the strike is over.

KCChiefsMan
02-18-2008, 04:12 AM
I missed the last 2 episodes, anyone know of a way I could watch them?? will they ever be replayed soon or on the internet?

irishjayhawk
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I missed the last 2 episodes, anyone know of a way I could watch them?? will they ever be replayed soon or on the internet?
ABC.com or Bittorrent

KCChiefsMan
02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
ABC.com or Bittorrent

cool, thanks man

greg63
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm lost; could someone please direct me to the Chiefs Planet? :D

ct
02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Picture of Ben's childhood sweetie.
http://www.lostisagame.com/photos/320/classroom_books.jpg

That's quite a resemblance to Charlotte

BigRedChief
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
New course sets ‘Lost’ back on track
‘Freighter group’ and flash fowards send show on smart, inventive path
COMMENTARY

By Jacob Clifton
MSNBC contributor
updated 1:57 p.m. CT, Thurs., Feb. 21, 2008

<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633392206430870000');</SCRIPT>
As a show whose major selling points have always been mystery and confounded expectations, perhaps it's inevitable the eventual rescue implied in the premise of ABC's hit drama "Lost" would be turned on its ear.
Season four's fourth (of 13) episode airs tonight, and this season has associated the concept of rescue from the island with terrible fates, both in the immediate (the terrifying "freighter," its off-putting personnel) and the future (uniformly depressing flash forwards of the Oceanic Six).
Three and a half years ago, who could guess fans would eventually cross their fingers that the castaways would stay lost forever?

By setting these two new concepts against the show's central premise, "Lost" has managed to reverse its own course in a way that's intelligent, inventive and unexpectedly moving. Where viewers once cheered on Claire's quixotic messenger birds and Michael's raft-building, fans are now in the position of knowing that a few make it home and how bad things get there.

These developments are not entirely surprising, as we've been conditioned by the show to accept and expect game-changing reversals at least twice a season.
Remember when the castaways only had to worry about a burlap bag over the head in the middle of the night? Now they're contending with multimillion-dollar paramilitary organizations whose purposes are still unknown.

Where the show has fallen in the past is in the careful preparation of its revelation-to-mystery ratio. However, viewers also need that chaotic feeling that anything can happen — that the true size and scope of the field of play are still unrevealed — or else the show's central attraction falls by the wayside.

The new flash-forward structure seems like a brilliant way to reintroduce that first-season sense of enormity while still giving fans their time's worth.

New roles
"Lost" is as compelling and intriguing as ever, drawing the revelations and threads of last season's finale tightly around the new off-island threat. One of the most exciting aspects of the show's new rules is the fascinating new angles and opportunities they create for the characters. New divisions in the central crash group, fights over leadership and new alliances have all revitalized and sometimes irrevocably radicalized tired characters.

In the wake of Jack's capture by, dicey collaboration with and eventual "rescue" from the Others, he's become his own opposite: haunted, ethically gray, nearly unlikable. His decisive — and sometimes violent — actions as the leader seem to stem from his knowledge and opinion of the Others, and have bemused and enraged members of the group who weren’t captured.

What were once Jack's finest qualities — his innate sense of right and wrong and his trust, as a physician, in the laws of cause and effect — become more and more limited and suspect as viewers learn more about the island's nonstandard physics. And then, through his flash forwards, fans know his rescue and escape have created a lonely prison of what was formerly a life, before the island.

Likewise, there's a chilling anticipation in the concept of watching Sayid go from repentant ex-torturer to murderer in Ben's service: How does it happen? What will it look like? Will it seem so repugnant when we get there?

The one thing fans can count on with "Lost" is that nothing is what it looks like. If something seems awful or scary at first, chances are it's probably pretty cool in the end. And the opposite is true as well, as with Walt and Locke's relationship going from spiritual haven to possible psychotic break, while Jack and Locke's once-comforting patriarchal presences become rigid, violent and scary.

Or take Hurley, who this season has become a doomed hero of nearly epic proportions. Between his flash forwards of psychological relapse and his growing relationship with the island, he seems to be one to watch this season.

And as for Ben and Juliet, those holdovers from the conflict with the Others, it would seem the freighter is the best thing that could have happened to them. By joining the original group's narrative, by hook or by crook, they've made themselves invaluable in the conflict to follow.
Now, having spent enough time with these characters to see their strengths and weaknesses, there is an opportunity to see just how far they can be pushed by the realization of their greatest wish: the possibility of escape, and of return.

The future's great, but …
Where it gets most interesting is in the flash forwards. They offer proof that Locke and Ben are completely correct — leaving the island is a terrible, terrible idea.

Jack's in an alcoholic shame spiral worse than anything he experienced pre-Oceanic, Kate's seems caught in yet another horrible relationship, Hurley's crazier than ever and Sayid seems to have lost the sense of honor that was always his best quality.

There's a feeling close to trepidation when a flash-forward story begins, if only because they are so uniformly bleak and open-ended.
Tonight marks the 73rd episode of 117. The show’s nearly two-thirds of the way to its conclusion. As the headlong rush into that last third of the story begins, it's tempting to spend every episode reviewing how far things have come, and how much things have changed.
But it's much more fun to imagine how much more things have left to change.
Jacob Clifton is a staff writer for Television Without Pity (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/).
© 2008 MSNBC Interactive
<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+' (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/'+url+')
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23262056/

Baby Lee
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
That's quite a resemblance to Charlotte
My point was that there's a picture from Ben's childhood [or at least his childhood girlfriend's childhood] where there's a book copyrighted September 2000 on the shelf.

Baby Lee
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ILPnh4mOKo&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ILPnh4mOKo&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

noa
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I didn't really like the episode tonight, but that was a huge bombshell at the end. I thought it was a return to those days where very little happened both in real time and in the flash back/forward. They could have told that whole story with future Kate in about two scenes with just as much drama, and very little happened back on the island. The only redemption was the ending.

irishjayhawk
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I didn't really like the episode tonight, but that was a huge bombshell at the end. I thought it was a return to those days where very little happened both in real time and in the flash back/forward. They could have told that whole story with future Kate in about two scenes with just as much drama, and very little happened back on the island. The only redemption was the ending.

Yep. So true. With a full season, it would have been great. With them not shooting all 16, I thought it was a waste.

Chiefnj2
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I think you learned a little more than just the baby.

You learn that the outside world knows of Ben and that he is very wealthy and/or has access to wealth. Ben is also confident that despite being jailed he can come up with a transfer of 3.2 million in a week.

You learn that Ben is once again way ahead of Locke and has completely gotten into Locke's head.

Locke is losing it completely - throwing the tray, kicking out Kate, grenade in the mouth.

Something is up with Daniels memory and they know enough to test it on the island - does the outside world know of the islands healing properties?

Jack is afraid to see Aaron.

BigRedChief
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I didn't really like the episode tonight, but that was a huge bombshell at the end. I thought it was a return to those days where very little happened both in real time and in the flash back/forward. They could have told that whole story with future Kate in about two scenes with just as much drama, and very little happened back on the island. The only redemption was the ending.Welllll I liked it. It's the best episode arc that they have done since the first season.

Mr. Plow
02-22-2008, 08:42 AM
I got the feeling that Locke is kind of "turning into" Ben. Living at the compound, controlling everyone there, etc.

irishjayhawk
02-22-2008, 09:18 AM

You learn that the outside world knows of Ben and that he is very wealthy and/or has access to wealth. Ben is also confident that despite being jailed he can come up with a transfer of 3.2 million in a week.

You learn that Ben is once again way ahead of Locke and has completely gotten into Locke's head.

Locke is losing it completely - throwing the tray, kicking out Kate, grenade in the mouth.

Something is up with Daniels memory and they know enough to test it on the island - does the outside world know of the islands healing properties?

All valid points that make me reconsider my gut instinct. Maybe my true problem with the hour is it didn't glue me to my seat. The flash forwards were boring (aside from the last one - and really only because NOTHING else major had happened) and the time on the island didn't hit anything worth noting. Next episode looks awesome.

Re Jack & Aaron: I think they are related (I think it was told to us in Season 2 or 3). I believe Jack and Claire are brother-sister because his dad had an affair. I think that's why he can't see Aaron because he found out.

Baby Lee
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
1. Were Miles and Ben talking in code? "3.2, why not 3.3 or 3.4?" "3 days?" "OK 1 week."

2. Was Daniel trying to predict the cards or trying to remember the cards? And what are the relative merits of; 1) his memory is off, or 2) the cards are changing while turned down. [remember the changing picture frames when Miles talked with the murdered dealer grandson].

Baby Lee
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Apparently in the Lostiverse CA courts have a lot of power. Enough to prosecute robberies from NM and arson and murders from the MW.

Bearcat
02-22-2008, 10:25 AM

I really liked the first few episodes, but I think it's going downhill (again)... we already knew most of that. Ben has connections, Ben > Locke, off-island Kate is a b*tch.

When Kate was asked to pick up Aaron, I got a feeling they were foreshadowning to something regarding the two of them... they had some really good twists in the previous episodes, but for some reason I picked up on that one really early, so it wasn't much of a cliffhanger at the end. Jack being afraid to see Aaron is a good point though... makes me wonder if he has Walt-type issues or if mom was forced to stay on the island because of Kate.

I personally like how you can learn English in a matter of weeks, having known zero English before being stranded on the island. He must have downloaded audio lessons to his iPod.

Bearcat
02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Tonight marks the 73rd episode of 117.

Holy crap, I didn't know they had 40+ more episodes. :eek: I hope they get back to LA sooner than later... I'd rather watch several episodes between the rescued and the remaining than watch 35 more episodes before we catch up to the flash-forwards. Either way, I think it could be done in 10 if they cut out episodes like last night.

irishjayhawk
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I really liked the first few episodes, but I think it's going downhill (again)... we already knew most of that. Ben has connections, Ben > Locke, off-island Kate is a b*tch.

When Kate was asked to pick up Aaron, I got a feeling they were foreshadowning to something regarding the two of them... they had some really good twists in the previous episodes, but for some reason I picked up on that one really early, so it wasn't much of a cliffhanger at the end. Jack being afraid to see Aaron is a good point though... makes me wonder if he has Walt-type issues or if mom was forced to stay on the island because of Kate.

I personally like how you can learn English in a matter of weeks, having known zero English before being stranded on the island. He must have downloaded audio lessons to his iPod.

Jack and Claire are related, but they don't know it. I think that's the reason Jack can't go see Aaron.

1. Were Miles and Ben talking in code? "3.2, why not 3.3 or 3.4?" "3 days?" "OK 1 week."

2. Was Daniel trying to predict the cards or trying to remember the cards? And what are the relative merits of; 1) his memory is off, or 2) the cards are changing while turned down. [remember the changing picture frames when Miles talked with the murdered dealer grandson].

It just hit me. 3.2million = ~3.2 on the meter thing that the scientist got from that missile. Wasn't it? So essentially, they're talking about time?

Bearcat
02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Jack and Claire are related, but they don't know it. I think that's the reason Jack can't go see Aaron.

This is why stretching a show across 10 years doesn't work.[/sarcasm] :doh!:

SithCeNtZ
02-22-2008, 11:24 AM
It just hit me. 3.2million = ~3.2 on the meter thing that the scientist got from that missile. Wasn't it? So essentially, they're talking about time?

Only problem with that is he wasn't around when the scientist did his time experiment so he still has no idea about the supposed time differential.

irishjayhawk
02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Only problem with that is he wasn't around when the scientist did his time experiment so he still has no idea about the supposed time differential.

Miles has always been the top guy in that 4 man crew. Perhaps he already knew the results beforehand. Seems plausible given what he knows.

noa
02-22-2008, 11:44 AM

That's a good point. I can't think of any other reason to talk about those numbers. I wonder if Locke would have figured it out if he had overheard it.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Another amazing episode!

1. Ben is obviously someone of power and influence in the "real" world. Someone very well known and wealthly.
2. It appears that Claire didn't make if off the island. Is she dead? Did she decide to stay for some reason?
3. Did Kate steal Aaron?
4. The Oceanic 8? Most well-known faces in America?
5. Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron and ? make up the Oceanic 6.
6. Are the other two survivors Sun & Jin, who in this episode, mentioned that they wanted to return to Korea to raise their baby?

Any guesses as to who is the final person of the Oceanic 6?

I'm ruling out Desmond, Locke, Claire and Sawyer.

Could it be Michael?

IMO, Jack didn't want to see Aaron because either A)He wouldn't be able to continue lying about the island after seeing Aaron or B)He had to make a choice between Claire or Aaron and it's haunting him.

Mr. Plow
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
IMO, Jack didn't want to see Aaron because either A)He wouldn't be able to continue lying about the island after seeing Aaron or B)He had to make a choice between Claire or Aaron and it's haunting him.

I'd say B. And it sucks. Claire had those beautiful blue eyes.

Baby Lee
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Think he figures out Claire's his sister?

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Think he figures out Claire's his sister?

I would think that if he did, he'd want to be close with her.

Just speculation on my part, but I think Jack doesn't want to see Aaron because it will remind him of a painful decision he was forced to make.

At least, that's what I think this week. Next week, it could all change.

Again.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I sure hope the writers know where all this is headed??

I fear we are all in for a huge disappoinment come the end of the series.

BTW, whatever happened to the Monster from the first few episodes??

Still a good show though...

rad
02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Another amazing episode!

1. Ben is obviously someone of power and influence in the "real" world. Someone very well known and wealthly.
2. It appears that Claire didn't make if off the island. Is she dead? Did she decide to stay for some reason?
3. Did Kate steal Aaron?
4. The Oceanic 8? Most well-known faces in America?
5. Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron and ? make up the Oceanic 6.
6. Are the other two survivors Sun & Jin, who in this episode, mentioned that they wanted to return to Korea to raise their baby?

Any guesses as to who is the final person of the Oceanic 6?

I'm ruling out Desmond, Locke, Claire and Sawyer.

Could it be Michael?

Ben? They showed him in a flash-forward with Sayid

Baby Lee
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM

I don't think everyone's favorite German veterinarian is much for celebrity.

irishjayhawk
02-22-2008, 10:10 PM

I get the impression that only people from Season 1 can be part of the Oceanic 6. (Claire was preggers in Season 1, so Aaron still fits.)

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM

Ben wasn't on the manifest.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I sure hope the writers know where all this is headed??

I fear we are all in for a huge disappoinment come the end of the series.

BTW, whatever happened to the Monster from the first few episodes??

Still a good show though...

Dude, there's NO WAY that J.J. Abrams is going to produce a series that doesn't have a beginning and an ending.

The FIRST thing these producers did when they created this show was to map out the beginning and ending for every character. Once they had an end date, they were able to fill in the middle.

There's definitely an ending. And there are clues to the true identity of the island in every episode.

Deberg_1990
02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
The FIRST thing these producers did when they created this show was to map out the beginning and ending for every character.

IM sure they had a rough outline, but i highly doubt they knew every little detail in advance before they began.

What about all the characters who have come and gone?

Shannon, Mr. Eko, Ann Lucia, Boone. You think they had those characters mapped out?

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2008, 02:37 PM
IM sure they had a rough outline, but i highly doubt they knew every little detail in advance before they began.

What about all the characters who have come and gone?

Shannon, Mr. Eko, Ann Lucia, Boone. You think they had those characters mapped out?

Yes.

Do you know anything about screenwriting?

The first thing you do is to outline the story from start to finish. Then, you create characters and after that, you fill in their back story.

In the case of "Lost", they have 121 hour long episodes (40 minutes each, in actuality) to fill in the back story.

So whether the show had 24 episodes or 72 episodes, the creators know the beginning and the ending. It's just how much back story they're allowed to tell via the network, ratings, etc.

BigMeatballDave
02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Yep. So true. With a full season, it would have been great. With them not shooting all 16, I thought it was a waste.They are supposed to shoot 5 more this season, I heard.

ChiefsFanatic
02-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Apparently in the Lostiverse CA courts have a lot of power. Enough to prosecute robberies from NM and arson and murders from the MW.

It was a Federal Court, was it not? She was being taken back by a Federal Agent, right?

Rausch
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Anyone know of this?

In the Season 3 finale the name of the funeral parlour is Hoffs/Drawlar. This is an anagram of Flash/Forward.

Flash Forward is the name of a real sci-fi book by an author named… Sawyer. Robert James Sawyer..

Sawyer (the author not the actor) has been nominated six times for the Hugo award.

In Mr James Sawyer’s Hugo nominated book book a group of scientists push a button and a huge machine causes a time rift throughout Earth. The main character has a consciousness shift and sees his own future, allowing him and other key characters to attempt to change it.

Sound familiar?

The book contains a few more clues which I won’t spoil for you here, but anyone into Lost may be interested in giving it a read. See the book and more info here:

UK edition: http://tinyurl.com/2k463f

USA edition: http://tinyurl.com/2wcbbu

Bump
02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
These are pretty short & funny, a must see for Lost fans.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEIp0qPBbEI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEIp0qPBbEI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bump
02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TnnZk60MegQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TnnZk60MegQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Guru
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
OK, now I am liking this episode so far.

Bump
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM

yup, pretty interesting so far. Desmond is all f*cked up

Adept Havelock
02-28-2008, 08:38 PM

As am I. Desmond is pulling a Billy Pilgrim. Vonnegut would be proud. :)

irishjayhawk
02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Best episode in the series. Damn good.

Bump
02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
well I don't think the entire episode needed to focus on Desmond, they coulda did something else. It also had a huge Back to the Future feel to it, "I'm from the future Doc...I came here...in a time machine....that YOU INVENTED!"

Rausch
02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
well I don't think the entire episode needed to focus on Desmond, they coulda did something else. It also had a huge Back to the Future feel to it, "I'm from the future Doc...I came here...in a time machine....that YOU INVENTED!"

See the post I quoted earlier.

Damn, I got lucky on that one...:D

Chiefnj2
02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
That was trippy.

I don't know if I really like the whole time travel aspect of the show, but I guess I'm stuck with it.

Psyko Tek
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
hokay check me here
the log of the black rock was bought by penny's daddy for a very large some of money

it was in possession of the hanso family for years

but 96 had to be well after the hanso foundation was started

and how did penny figure out des was connected to this island

and why am I rambleing on like this

BigRedChief
02-28-2008, 10:57 PM
damn fine TV. I thought this Desmond thing was going to be some mystery that they would drag out but it looks like theproducers learned their lesson.

Guru
02-29-2008, 12:16 AM
hokay check me here
the log of the black rock was bought by penny's daddy for a very large some of money

I may have just missed it but why was Penny looking for Dez for the past 3 years if they broke up 8 years ago? What did she learn that changed her?

Buck
02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I may have just missed it but why was Penny looking for Dez for the past 3 years if they broke up 8 years ago? What did she learn that changed her?

was it three years ago when desmond got in the boat race sponsored by penny's dad? maybe thats when she found out.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 01:28 AM

You missed it.

Dude, week in, week out, you have trouble keeping up with the show.

I'd suggest purchasing seasons 1-3 on DVD and setting aside an 45 minutes, where you can watch LOST without any interruptions.

It's not a Sitcom. It requires patience and intense viewing.

Otherwise, you're LOST. :)

Guru
02-29-2008, 02:09 AM
You missed it.

I'd suggest purchasing seasons 1-3 on DVD and setting aside an 45 minutes, where you can watch LOST without any interruptions.

You know, it was an honest question. Do you have to attack everytime? This show has frustrated me since Season One. Tonight was the best episode since the end of season one as well.

I am sorry I don't live up to your LOST standards, but I am not going to go back and watch seasons 2 and 3 again when I thought they were a complete waste of my time the first time around.

I come to this thread when I have a question about something hoping someone will be kind enough to help out. If that is your idea of helping, it is NOT.

OH, and "week in week out?" WHAT? This is only the second time I have asked a question regarding the past. Who's not paying attention?

Guru
02-29-2008, 03:38 AM
was it three years ago when desmond got in the boat race sponsored by penny's dad? maybe thats when she found out.

OK, I remember that. Thanks. I think I will just PM you when I have a brain lapse on this show since the other source of info just likes to belittle people.

Bearcat
02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Very good episode... it's hard to remember everything that's happened to Desmond, but it helped piece things together quite a bit. The signal from Penelope, the deja vu with Charlie in London, other stuff that came to mind last night but not this morning...

You missed it.

:spock:

I don't know why anyone would have trouble following this show, with 10 new episodes every 6 months for the past 3 years... or why they wouldn't want to spend $120 and several hours on DVDs just to keep up with all the loose ends.

Rausch
02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
You know, it was an honest question. Do you have to attack everytime? This show has frustrated me since Season One. Tonight was the best episode since the end of season one as well.

I am sorry I don't live up to your LOST standards, but I am not going to go back and watch seasons 2 and 3 again when I thought they were a complete waste of my time the first time around.

I come to this thread when I have a question about something hoping someone will be kind enough to help out. If that is your idea of helping, it is NOT.

OH, and "week in week out?" WHAT? This is only the second time I have asked a question regarding the past. Who's not paying attention?

When you have time go here: http://darkufo.blogspot.com/

Chiefnj2
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm a little confused with the time travel stuff.

Does this mean that the Desmond in present (2004) has no memory of anything from 1996-2004? The present Desmond on the ship was the guy from 1996 in the Army. He didn't seem to know any of the events between the two times. So, as it stands now the Desmond on the ship could go back to the real world and just claim he was in a yacht race and was stranded on an island for years (someone will have to tell him that). He wouldn't have a recollection of anything else, correct?

schneider221
02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
when desmond calls sayid by name at the end i believe that is a sign he has his memory back

The Rick
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I thought it was a good episode last night. It may not have completely answered any questions, but it gave hints and begins to lead us down a certain path.

The thing that I thought was interesting was that the whole time travel thing wasn't physical time travel (i.e. Back To The Future), more like time travel of the mind.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 11:41 AM

Dude, whether it sounded like it or not, it was a friendly suggestion.

Go to Amazon or Ebay or Half.com and pick up a used version of Seasons One-Three. They're usually less than $20.00 and they may help to clear up some of your questions.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Another amazing, revealing episode:

1. For the first time throughout the series, we see the "sickness" that Danielle mentioned during the first season (resulting in her murdering her shipmates).

2. The Black Rock makes another appearance though this time, the Hanso family is directly connected to the ship.

3. Mr. Widmore (Penny's father) is definitely involved with the island and Dharma. Is he the man that Sayid was sent to kill?

4. Desmond HAS been traveling to the present and the future (just like in last year's episode) which clearly explains why he was trying to protect Charlie. He KNEW he was going to die because he'd been there each time (I'm expecting a future episode to reveal their true relationship).

5. Who is Ben's "Man on the ship"? It's clearly not Minkowski. I still think it's Michael.

Guru
02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Dude, whether it sounded like it or not, it was a friendly suggestion.

Go to Amazon or Ebay or Half.com and pick up a used version of Seasons One-Three. They're usually less than $20.00 and they may help to clear up some of your questions.

I'll take you word for it though your wording was not very good. There are shows I would invest money in to own LOST is not one of them.

Still don't see why you couldn't just answer that one simple question like Cro did. Cleared it all up for me as I remember the reason now. The only thing this show slipped past me was the time travel thing, and from what I have read, a lot of people have missed that.

Your insinuation that I am asking pointless questions week-in and week-out was WAY out of bounds though.

Bump
02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I'll take you word for it though your wording was not very good. There are shows I would invest money in to own LOST is not one of them.

Still don't see why you couldn't just answer that one simple question like Cro did. Cleared it all up for me as I remember the reason now. The only thing this show slipped past me was the time travel thing, and from what I have read, a lot of people have missed that.

Your insinuation that I am asking pointless questions week-in and week-out was WAY out of bounds though.

well I was a little confused too, so don't feel too bad

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 06:04 PM

Dude, no offense but I really don't understand your interest in this show and why you keep asking questions. You've stated that you have no desire to watch Seasons Two or Three again (and EVERY episode provides clues about the Island and it's nature, however minute), you don't seem to follow the premise (see below) and you get offended when you ask for answers.

2/14/2008: One question....

2/14/2008: No offense but have you been WATCHING the show? At all?

I'll try to be "less" sarcastic when you ask questions in the future.

Or will I?:D

Fruit Ninja
02-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Lost imo is shaping up to be the best TV show to ever be made.

Guru
02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Dude, no offense but I really don't understand your interest in this show and why you keep asking questions. You've stated that you have no desire to watch Seasons Two or Three again (and EVERY episode provides clues about the Island and it's nature, however minute), you don't seem to follow the premise (see below) and you get offended when you ask for answers.

I'll try to be "less" sarcastic when you ask questions in the future.

Or will I?:D

They were simple question that required a simple answer. Not "Dude do you even watch this show?" without even offering an answer. If you are just being sarcastic fine, but at least answer the question something you seem to NOT want to do. I am not going to go back and watch 2 seasons of showings just to get one minute answer. Which, thanks to Cro, I actually do remember now.

All I am saying is that I didn't enjoy seasons 2 and 3. It is not a crime. i want to know how the whole thing plays out is why I keep watching. Just because you love every aspect of the show does not mean I have to.

I follow this show more than you give me credit for.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 06:39 PM
They were simple question that required a simple answer. Not "Dude do you even watch this show?" without even offering an answer. If you are just being sarcastic fine, but at least answer the question something you seem to NOT want to do. I am not going to go back and watch 2 seasons of showings just to get one minute answer. Which, thanks to Cro, I actually do remember now.

All I am saying is that I didn't enjoy seasons 2 and 3. It is not a crime. i want to know how the whole thing plays out is why I keep watching. Just because you love every aspect of the show does not mean I have to.

I follow this show more than you give me credit for.

I'll give you the answer right now:

The island is an Axis Mundi.

It's a portal that exists between Earth and "Heaven". Time has no meaning there. People can't get pregnant and create "new life" there. It's a gateway. And there's two opposing forces trying to control it: Ben's organization and Widmore's organization.

So there you go.

Guru
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

It's a portal that exists between Earth and "Heaven". Time has no meaning there. People can't get pregnant and create "new life" there. It's a gateway. And there's two opposing forces trying to control it: Ben's organization and Widmore's organization.

So there you go.
Well, that goes way beyond what my 2 questions entailed but I will take it for what it is worth.

I seem to remember the creators stating it was not a midpoint like purgatory or something. Maybe it is not the same thing but seems like a tricky way to say it.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 06:52 PM
The axis mundi (also cosmic axis, world axis, world pillar and center of the world) is a symbol representing the mythical point of connection between sky and earth. It is claimed to offer a means of travel and correspondence between the two realms. It is also alleged to be the place where the four compass directions unite, allowing treasure from heaven to be disseminated throughout the world. This is said to place it at the center of the world: at its omphalos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalos) (navel), the world's point of beginning.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mundi#_note-0)

An Axis Mundi has nothing to do with the Catholic belief of "Purgatory".<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">

</sup>

Bearcat
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
\
4. Desmond HAS been traveling to the present and the future (just like in last year's episode) which clearly explains why he was trying to protect Charlie. He KNEW he was going to die because he'd been there each time (I'm expecting a future episode to reveal their true relationship).

Yeah, I'm thinking whenever his ship wrecks, whatever happens when he leaves is sort of reversed and it all comes back to him. He has the deja vu in London with Charlie, so it seems like "his constant" keeps him alive, but doesn't do anything as far as memory.

So there you go.

Funnny, since that was predicted a couple of seasons ago by a large number of people, who had to repeatedly be told it wasn't limbo.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking whenever his ship wrecks, whatever happens when he leaves is sort of reversed and it all comes back to him. He has the deja vu in London with Charlie, so it seems like "his constant" keeps him alive, but doesn't do anything as far as memory.

Funnny, since that was predicted a couple of seasons ago by a large number of people, who had to repeatedly be told it wasn't limbo.

Limbo isn't an Axis Mundi

Ari Chi3fs
02-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I like how Richard hasn't aged since Ben was a Kid... meaning that something weird does indeed happen to age on the island.

http://z.about.com/d/lost/1/8/M/V/-/-/Richard_Alpert.jpg

Of course, many others have aged. Supposedly, Richard is an original crew member of the Black Rock ship.

Baby Lee
03-01-2008, 07:57 AM
I like how Richard hasn't aged since Ben was a Kid... meaning that something weird does indeed happen to age on the island.

http://z.about.com/d/lost/1/8/M/V/-/-/Richard_Alpert.jpg

Of course, many others have aged. Supposedly, Richard is an original crew member of the Black Rock ship.

My point was that there's a picture from Ben's childhood [or at least his childhood girlfriend's childhood] where there's a book copyrighted September 2000 on the shelf.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
hokay check me here

When did the episode mention that the log book was in the possession on the Hanso people?

Did I miss something?

Baby Lee
03-01-2008, 10:01 AM
When did the episode mention that the log book was in the possession on the Hanso people?

Did I miss something?

The auctioneer said so.

Baby Lee
03-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Has anyone considered that the 'Oceanic Six' are comprised of people who feel strongly that they have a constant they can rely on and contact. That would explain why Kate has Aaron, Claire doesn't have a constant but wants Aaron to have a life off the island.

Just a thought, though I dunno what Hurley's constant is. Kate and Jack have each other, Siyiid has his love [whose name escapes me]. Spoiler Jin and Sun have each other

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I think the Oceanic Six are...

Jack
Kate
Sayid
Hurley
Walt
Michael

Ben wasn't on manifest. Desmond wasn't on manifest. Aaron wasn't on manifest.

Also, I found this and thought it amusing.

http://www.wcr.co.nz/jokewood1.jpg
http://www.wcr.co.nz/jokewood2.jpg

Rausch
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I think there's a reason everything seems to revolve around magnetism. Gravity/magnetism, if strong enough, can bend spacetime. Electromagnetism is used to "unstick" characters in time. Then there's the time difference on the island.

But there does have to be something else going on with Richard. People do age on the island, the dead do rot, the ships and buildings decay. Time might pass slower/faster but it seems clear Richard is either younger or not getting older due to something else. Perhaps he uses a more "pure" form of time travel instead of just his consciousness.

Rausch
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Was reading another LOST bb and someone said to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gERdALb5vQ

It's supposed to have something to do with the last episode. I can't watch it here at work.

SithCeNtZ
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Was reading another LOST bb and someone said to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gERdALb5vQ

It's supposed to have something to do with the last episode. I can't watch it here at work.

It suggests that they have some sort of time machine. Not really sure how it ties into last weeks episode though.

Rausch
03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
It suggests that they have some sort of time machine. Not really sure how it ties into last weeks episode though.

Ok, just watched it. In the middle there's some "subliminal" message that says "God loves you as He loved Jacob."

No idea what that means.

It also mentions the Casimir effect. Apparently this relates to worm holes, nanotech, and a of course time trave: "Exotic matter with negative energy density is required to stabilize a wormhole.[13] Morris, Thorne and Yurtsever[14] pointed out that the quantum mechanics of the Casimir effect can be used to produce a locally mass-negative region of space-time, and suggested that negative effect could be used to stabilize a wormhole to allow faster than light travel.

It has been suggested that the Casimir forces have application in nanotechnology, in particular silicon integrated circuit technology based micro- and nanoelectromechanical systems, and so-called Casimir oscillator."

Then the easter bunny shows up before it was sent back.

ct
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Carlton Cuse has said in many interviews that Desmond was actually time-traveling when he visited Penny in Season Three. The episode was titled "Catch-22".

There will most certainly be a time-travel aspect to the show. In last night's episode, Jack asked about the Red Sox winning the World Series. In reality, not only did the Red Sox win the WS in 2004 (just after they were "Lost") but also in 2007.

So which WS was Lapidus referring to?

Additionally, Charlotte Lewis was shocked when speaking with Locke's group, stating "So you've been here all this time?". I don't think she'd be that surprised if it had only been 100 days.

nice call

keg in kc
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
The show amazes me.

Baby Lee
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Has anyone considered that the 'Oceanic Six' are comprised of people who feel strongly that they have a constant they can rely on and contact. That would explain why Kate has Aaron, Claire doesn't have a constant but wants Aaron to have a life off the island.

Just a thought, though I dunno what Hurley's constant is. Kate and Jack have each other, Siyiid has his love [whose name escapes me]. Spoiler Jin and Sun have each other
Or perhaps more simply, the Oceanic Six are those six who were either on the dock with the Others, or on Desmond's boat checking out four toed statues, when the EMP pulse emitted, meaning they are the only ones far enough away that their brains weren't scrambled, so they won't get lost in time if they go through.

Rausch
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Or perhaps more simply, the Oceanic Six are those six who were either on the dock with the Others, or on Desmond's boat checking out four toed statues, when the EMP pulse emitted, meaning they are the only ones far enough away that their brains weren't scrambled, so they won't get lost in time if they go through.

The Hurley thing might makes sense 'cause when he does go back he either really is crazy or just wants to be in the loony bin for some reason. Maybe he doesn't have a constant.

When he was thinking he was back in the loony bin in one episode is there a chance he was really "jumping" in time?

irishjayhawk
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Not earth shattering but pretty good.

Rausch
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I think finding out how friggen out there Ben is was revealing. He doesn't just have a messiah complex, he's a stalker, murderer, AND he looks like a 40 something Clay Aiken...

Rausch
03-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Probably a stupid question but has anyone brought up that there are 6 numbers and the oceanic 6?

Could each person revealed be a number? Could there be clues to what number might correspond to any of the revealed 06?

Jack mentions they have to go back. So something is wrong with the six. There is also something wrong with the equation the dharma project talks about and how they have to change it.

Could the six have to go back to the island or do something that changes the equation instead of balancing it?...

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:11 PM
My wild idea of the night: when locke asked ben who his man on the boat was and ben told him he better sit down, two ideas came to me.

Number 1: Locke is his man on the boat. (initial thought, Locke's the captain)
Number 2: Boone is his man on the boat. Despite being...dead.

Guru
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
My wild idea of the night: when locke asked ben who his man on the boat was and ben told him he better sit down, two ideas came to me.

Michael

Rausch
03-06-2008, 11:14 PM

I first thought of Michael and Charlie.

I always thought Charlie could have waited until the hatch was full of water and then swam out the hole. It looked like he could have fit through there easily.

And well, Michael appears to be signed on again and his kid is a major part of the story so...

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Why would locke need to sit down if it was Michael?

Not that it couldn't be Michael...

Since he is back in the cast (although we haven't seen him yet).

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Charlie would be an interesting guess too.

Ari Chi3fs
03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
What if Sayid was his guy on the boat... via Time Travel?

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I still think Boone would be great. And what a mind-f*ck for Locke that would be.

Fish
03-06-2008, 11:28 PM

I really think Sayid is the guy. But I don't think time travel has anything to do with it. I think Sayid has been linked to Ben the whole time....

Rausch
03-06-2008, 11:37 PM

It appears that Ben is the only person able to time travel physically, everyone else (815, Desmond, etc.) have only done it in "spirit" or whatever.

Sayid would make sense for a number of reasons. But in the Flash-forwards he seems to be very unaware of things and tied to Ben out of duty or necessity.

I don't think enough has happened to make Sayid ready for Ben.

Yet.

Rausch
03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I still think Boone would be great. And what a mind-f*ck for Locke that would be.

I have to say no mostly due to just ****ing hating his character.

He was a pretty boy without contributing much to the storyline...

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I didn't like the character either, but he was locke's protege, for lack of a better word.

About laughed my ass off when Ben asked if the rabbit had a number.

Rausch
03-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I didn't like the character either, but he was locke's protege, for lack of a better word.

That was a nice tip-of-the-hat to teh webtranet nerds.

I don't think that's the point of Locke's character. Locke has been looking for something to believe in for so long that it's easy for him to fall for something. If Ben can break that last belief Locke has (he is in tune with or chosen by the island) Ben will have him. Ben will be the only Guru he's got.

And since Ben is so damned persistent about getting Locke to break his ties with what's holding him back it's convinced me he's one of the 06. The final step will be going back out to the world without his legs.

"Are you ready? Can you do it?"

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
You know, it could be Walt on the boat.

Rausch
03-07-2008, 12:01 AM
ROFLYou know, it could be Walt on the boat.

keg in kc
03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Here's another question, was Ben being Honest when he was telling Locke about Penny's dad. I mean, we did see him buy the logbook a week or two ago, and he does seem like a genuine douche, but...you can't trust ben...

Rausch
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Here's another question, was Ben being Honest when he was telling Locke about Penny's dad. I mean, we did see him buy the logbook a week or two ago, and he does seem like a genuine douche, but...you can't trust ben...

Ben always seems to use truth to motivate people to do what he wants.

I'd argue it is true. It would also explain why her dad's looking for the island (once again Desmond is ****ing up his deal.)

Ben always tells the truth of the matter but not HIS truth...

keg in kc
03-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Ben uses the truth, as all good liar's do. I'm not convinced he's always truthful, however.

Either way, this season has really taken the show up a notch.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2008, 02:21 AM

So there you go.

yes

BigRedChief
03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Ben uses the truth, as all good liar's do. I'm not convinced he's always truthful, however.

Either way, this season has really taken the show up a notch.
Yep, they have learned their lesson about draggin chit out. Look at the way they handled the shrink gal. No 3-4 episode arc to try to figure out where she fits into the equation. But still enough mystery like WTH has she been hiding and observing? Via the darma cameras?

Chiefnj2
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Ben always seems to use truth to motivate people to do what he wants.

I'd argue it is true. It would also explain why her dad's looking for the island (once again Desmond is ****ing up his deal.)

Ben always tells the truth of the matter but not HIS truth...

2 things about Penny's dad.

1. I wonder if he set up the yacht race to purposefully go near the area where the island is in hopes that someone (Desmond?) would end up on the island.

2. In 1994 when Desmond asked Widmore "Why do you hate me?" he replied something to the effect that "It's not me who hates you." I wonder who does hate Desmond?

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Yep, they have learned their lesson about draggin chit out. Look at the way they handled the shrink gal. No 3-4 episode arc to try to figure out where she fits into the equation. But still enough mystery like WTH has she been hiding and observing? Via the darma cameras?

The only positive of the WGA strike is that it forced the writers of Lost to condense their story lines.

Never fear though, as they have 35 more episodes after the conclusion of this season to wrap up their story. :D

noa
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Has anyone read this page?

http://www.timelooptheory.com/the_timeline.htm

It doesn't really have any spoilers, so don't worry about that. Just a long theory on what's going on.

Fish
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Could you explain that one please? I missed that storyline....

Bowser
03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I have not watched an episode of this show, ever. My work schedule was all screwy when it first started, and I missed the first season. This is before we had DVIR, and I haven't wanted to jump in in the middle of the storyline. I recently bought the first season on DVD, and I'm looking forward to watching it.

SithCeNtZ
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Could you explain that one please? I missed that storyline....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gERdALb5vQ

This explains it.

KcMizzou
03-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I have not watched an episode of this show, ever. My work schedule was all screwy when it first started, and I missed the first season. This is before we had DVIR, and I haven't wanted to jump in in the middle of the storyline. I recently bought the first season on DVD, and I'm looking forward to watching it.I'm kind of in the same boat. I enjoyed the first season... lost interest during the second. Now I hear it's good again, but I feel like I've missed too much.

Hell, I was "lost" when I was watching every episode.

keg in kc
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, they have learned their lesson about draggin chit out. Look at the way they handled the shrink gal. No 3-4 episode arc to try to figure out where she fits into the equation. But still enough mystery like WTH has she been hiding and observing? Via the darma cameras?I'm not sure if she was really there, or if Ben was somehow projecting her, for lack of a better word. Ben and Walt both seem to have some weird mojo.

DaKCMan AP
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd like to acknowledge the shout out to Gainesville, FL in the last episode of Lost :D

Chiefnj2
03-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Ben and Walt both seem to have some weird mojo.

Looks like Hurley might have the same mojo Walt had. Walt kept rolling perfect numbers when playing backgammon, now Hurley is throwing perfect horseshoes after seeing/hearing the shack.

patteeu
03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Looks like Hurley might have the same mojo Walt had. Walt kept rolling perfect numbers when playing backgammon, now Hurley is throwing perfect horseshoes after seeing/hearing the shack.

Interesting observation.

AZORChiefFan
03-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Pretty good podcast site:
http://www.jayandjack.com/

cadmonkey
03-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Ok, I know I haven't posted in this Lost Forum all that much, I usually discuss it over at Patriotsplanet. There is a poster over there that has some pretty in depth thoughts about the physics of the island. Some of my next few posts will be lengthy, but they are very informative.

cadmonkey
03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Faraday's Journal:

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=51970&stc=1&d=1204560047

Minkowski's Spacetime Triangle:

http://www.quantonics.com/Quantonics%20Site%20GIFs/Einstein_Minkowski_Space_Time_Diagram.gif

cadmonkey
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
here is part of our conversation:

Something occurred to me today.

Remember the Ben flashback episode where we see him as a teenager meeting one of the "others" (Richard something).

Richard appeared to be the same age in the flashback as he is in the other episodes we've seen him in.

Now we know why.

He hasn't aged all that much from when he saw the teenage Ben, due to the effect the island has on time.

Then why did Ben age?

There are multiple possibilities.

The first would be that Ben had spent some time off the island. Recall the photo the people from the boat had of him, based on the computer monitor and clothes he was wearing, that looked like sometime in the late 70's early 80's time frame.

I also think that shot was not taken on the island, but someplace else.

We know Richard was off the island because he recruited Juliette.

Now a far more interesting possibility occurred to me last night when Juliette heard the whispers just before the shrink appeared.

Go back and look at the Minkowski space time triangle I posted a few pages back.

If you move the appropriate direction on that diagram, you will not be "seen" by people in "normal" space and your flow of time may be different as well.

That's where the "others" we haven't seen have gone. They shifted in a direction that makes them separated from "normal" space.

We hear them as the whispers. It was also where the shrink "came from". Juliette didn't see or hear her approaching because she "came" from someplace else inside that triangle.

It also explains why the Asian guy was recruited for the boat. You can think of his ability to "talk" to ghosts as being able to talk to people and things that are shifted in that same direction in the triangle that the "others" moved.

cadmonkey
03-11-2008, 09:14 AM

I tryed looking at that triangle after reading OPT's post. My eyes started bleeding.

Hey, I got my degree in physics so I've thought about that stuff before.

The part of Special Relativity that describes why moving clocks "run slow" and why the length of something changes, is really pretty easy to understand.

It is all based on two assumptions.

1) Everyone measures the exact same speed of light, regardless of what speed they are traveling.

2) There is no such thing as an absolute reference frame. That is motion can only be described relative to another object.

The second assumption is best demonstrated by what you see if you look out the window of a train when it starts to move. Have you ever had the impression that the station is moving and you are standing still? That's the idea of the second assumption. you can describe things as the train moving relative to the non-moving station or the moving station relative to the non-moving train. Either perspective is valid and indistinguishable from the other.

We can perform a simple experiment to show what happens if we apply these two assumptions.

Suppose Person A is on a train traveling at 90% of the speed of light.

He holds a flashlight and points it on a target that detects the light from the flashlight. When he turns on the flashlight that starts a clock and when the light hits the target, it stops the clock.

The target is 10 feet from the flashlight.

Person B is standing next to the train tracks. He has a similar clock system that starts and stops when the light is turned on and when it hits the target.

Person A turns on the light when he is right next to B.

What does A see?

The light travels 10 feet and hits the target.

How long did it take? 10 feet divided by the speed of light.

What did B see?

The light travels 10 feet, plus the distance the train traveled during the experiment, call that N

How long did he think it took?

(10 feet + N) divided by the speed of light.

According to assumption 1, A and B have to use the same value for the speed of light.

So from B's point of view, it took longer for the light to hit the target than it did from A's point of view.

If the speed of light has to be the same, there is only one other possibility, that the distance from the flashlight to the target was less than 10 feet. In other words, the distance between the target and the flashlight had to shrink by the same amount the train moved from when the light was turned on and it hit the target.

If A and B measure the same speed of light, either of those two options must be the case, or some combination of the two.

The equations that describe how time changes between A and B, or distance, are called the Lorentz Transformations (http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/lorentztrans.html).

If you were to graph the experiment involving A and B, you'd end up with a right triangle.

Draw a vertical line from B to A when the flashlight is turned on (call this length x)

Draw a line from this point parallel to the tracks to the point where the light hits the target (call this length y).

The two lines for the 90 degree side of the triangle.

The hypotenuse connects the target location when the light hits it back to B Call that length z).

Since this is a right triangle, pythagorean theorem let's us calculate the length of the three sides, x^2 + y^2 = z^2.

z= Square root(x^2 + y^2)

If you look at the Lorentz Transformation, you'll notice the "square root (1-v^2/c^2)" looks an awful lot like solving for z in the Pythagorean theorem.

It's because of the right triangle I described above.

So basically all of the "weird" parts of time and distance changing when moving near the speed of light is due to the simple fact that Einstein assumed that the speed of light is the same, regardless of what speed you're traveling at.

If you agree with that assumption, then the changes described by the Lorentz transformation must happen. There simply isn't any other logically possible outcome.

Now what that "means", is a whole other question and most certainly will make your brain hurt.

When Einstein developed General Relativity, he expanded the ways these transformations can occur to include strong energy fields.

So the island doesn't have to be moving near the speed of light to make these relativistic effects take place, but simply have a large energy source/ field.

The big magnetic field associated with the hatch and entering the numbers is probably associated with this.

Hmmmmm..... I'm going to have to reexamine the numbers and see if there is any linkage to any thing related to Relativity.

cadmonkey
03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
The Valenzetti Equation is a mathematical formula designed to predict
the end of the world. Through research of this equation, the end of the
world was found to be 4:23:42 pm on April 8th, 2015. This is the
significance of the series of numbers: 4:8:15:16:23:42.

It was once stated that "the Dharma Initiative set out to find a way to
change the Valenzetti Equation." Their strategy for avoiding the end of
the world was to create a time machine to prevent the world from ever
reaching the year 2015, at least in an isolated location where some
pocket of humanity could thrive. Perhaps this location could at first be
used as an experiment for proof of concept and then perhaps if the
process is perfected, the entire Earth can be saved. The island was
chosen as this location for one of two reasons: either it was just
remote enough that it would be easy to protect it from external
disturbance that could disrupt the research, or the island had some
intrinsic properties that made it special. I lean towards the former,
but I could be swayed either way.

A key piece of the functionality of the time machine was the
installation of a gigantic magnet underground beneath the island. This
obviously causes the unusual electromagnetic abnormalities experienced
there. At some point, probably in the 1980's (let's say 1988 for the
sake of argument), the time machine was completed. From this point on,
the Island exists in a sort of space-time bubble which is separated from
the timeline of the rest of the universe. The Swan station is used to
reset the machine periodically to always keep the time machine locked at
the original start date in 1988. So as long as the Swan is functioning,
the island will remain locked in 1988 while the rest of the
world/universe proceeds through time normally.

When Desmond/Kelvin discussed how the resetting of the Hatch computer
was "saving the world" - this is quite literally true. Keeping the
island in
1988 allows them to avoid ever reaching 2015 when humanity is doomed. I
believe that after the Hatch was imploded, time on the island would
begin moving forward in time with the rest of universe. It would still
be locked approximately 19 or 20 years in the past compared to the rest
of reality, but it would move forward nonetheless.

Now, a very important concept in this theory is the fact that entering
the bubble of the time machine will basically create two separate
threads of reality for anyone/anything that enters. So, for example,
when the plane crashes onto the island it passes through the boundaries
of the time bubble. One "copy" of the plane remains outside in reality
where it crashes to the bottom of the ocean and everyone dies in the
2004. The other "copy"
enters the island in the year 1988 where many people survive.

Around the perimeter of the island, I believe there is only one way to
leave the time bubble. Michael and Walt were given this exact bearing so
that they could leave. Whenever anyone else tried to leave on the
sailboat, they were unsuccessful because they didn't know where to
leave.

Here is a brief list of some strange anomalies that I think can be
explained with this theory:

1) Lock and Rose were healed when they arrived on the island. This is
because the only "copy" of them now exists in 1988 when both of them
were perfectly healthy.

2) When Naomi crashed on the island she had a phone/communication device
that Sayid mentioned was slightly more advanced than anything he had
seen.
This is because Sayid crashed in 2004. Though he'd only spent what
seemed like 90 days on the island, it was probably 2007 or so in reality
when Naomi crashed onto the island.

3) Women cannot conceive on the island but they can give birth to babies
conceived before they arrived. This is because a child conceived on the
island is conceived in the year 1988. This child does not exist in the
true reality. The termination of the pregnancy is part of the universe's
course correction (we will address course correction in detail shortly).

4) Desmond's premonitions. Desmond is different from the other people in
the Lost crew. He did not crash on a plane and theoretically never died
in reality. So when he arrives at the island, there now exist TWO living
copies of Desmond in separate threads of reality. One remains in 1988
while the other moves forward through time. This would explain perfectly
why he can see into the future.

5) Walt appears to have aged more than everyone else when he returns to
the island after having left it. It's possible that Walt and Michael
leave for a number of years before returning to the island. Very little
time has passed on the island compared to how much time they spent in
the real world during their time away. This plays into a statement from
Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof: "We've always known Malcolm was going to
grow faster than we could shoot the show. And we planned for it. Trust
us. Please trust us."
If Walt's age abnormality was always planned, that should indicate that
some sort of time plot was planned from the start.

6) The Other known as Richard doesn't appear to age. He is also known to
have left island at some point(s). I'm not sure exactly how this would
tie in, but it could be a clue to his state.

7) The Others seem to be able to gather incredibly detailed information
about the survivors in an extremely short period of time. Since it's
1988 on the island and it's the future outside the island, if the Others
can use DHARMA's equipment to access contacts on the other side, they
can get answers from the future.

8) Christian Shephard. His body was on the plane that crashed. Perhaps
his body going back in time brought him back to life on the island
(similar to the healings of Locke/Rose). This could account for his
empty coffin, the fact that he's been seen on the island (which, of
course, could also just be another hallucination), and the fact that
Jack refers to him in the flashforward as being alive. The crash
would've created 2 copies of his body - one in the 2004 reality plane
(dead) and a resurrected 1988 one on the island. This is a different
scenario from survivors of the crash who die on the island, ending the
life of the only remaining copy of themselves. Additionally, Christian
was seen in one of the online videos instructing Vincent to wake Jack.
This seems impossible to be a hallucination (unless the dog was
hallucinating?) and the fact that Christian goes off alone rather than
joining the other survivors indicates to me that he has some
pre-existing knowledge or ties to the island. After I wrote this, I
watched last night's new episode and seeing Christian in the cabin has
reinforced this a bit!

9) Locke began to lose feeling in his legs when he was near the '?' area
on the map. It's entirely possible that this was just a ruse by Locke to
somehow manipulate Boone, but I think it's somewhat likely that the '?'
area, being located in the center of the island's time machine, is the
location of the portal that connects the two threads of reality. Locke's
proximity to this area could have been what caused him to begin
reverting back to his paralyzed state.

I can't directly explain all of the tremendous coincidences that occur
between characters (Hurley's lotto with the numbers, Yemi's plane
crashing on the island, the "real" Sawyer being Locke's dad thing, etc.
etc.) but I feel very confident that all of those things have to do with
the concept of "course correction" by the universe. As Desmond explained
in relation to Charlie's death - you can only postpone it, but the
universe will eventually catch up and correct itself. I think that this,
on a broader scale, it's what's happening on the show as the universe
tries to get back on course and correct itself to appropriately end
humanity at the scheduled date and undo the attempts to prevent our
demise with a time machine.

The universe orchestrates what seems to be an absurdly complex string of
coincidences and interconnectedness between characters in order to
create the right set of variables for that plane to crash on the island
and those people to inadvertently destroy the time machine and put the
world back on its course for destruction.

This concept of "course correction" as a plot device is, in my opinion,
a brilliant tool for the writers of the show. It allows them to weave an
intricate network of plot elements that seem ridiculously impossible and
complex, but all those otherwise unexplainable loose ends can be tied
together in the form of universal course correction.

I suspect that course correction may come into play more in the future
of the show where we will see many or all of the characters who were
"supposed to die" in the plane crash facing inevitable and inescapable
death as the universe is catching up to them. This, obviously, is just a
wild guess for the future of the show.

A little side note that ties into this theory: I believe the Polar Bears
on the island are a reference to the concept of being in danger of
extinction.
Humans are using the island as their means to try to fend off extinction
and the polar bear is an iconic animal when it comes to endangerment.
The choice of these animals as a research species on the island could
simply be a piece of symbolism by the Lost writers.

Baby Lee
03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
While it's conceivable that two objects could in a relativistic sense appear to moving apart at greater than the speed of light [ie, from your frame of reference one is moving away <--- at .8 the speed of light, and another moving away --> at .8 the speed of light] it would have no causal consequence as information cannot surpass the speed of light and thus those two bodies will never exchange information.

Third Eye
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Some good info. above. I really only have a problem with one aspect of it, the "duplicate" theory. Clearly, our helicopter pilot doesn't feel that the body he saw at the bottom of the ocean was the Oceanic pilot because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring. Perhaps this will be explained away in a later flashback showing the pilot losing his ring or something, but it is still problematic for me. Does this also mean that everyone brought to the island (Dharma, Juliette) had their dopplegangers killed, or do they still exist in the outside world?

Rausch
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Some good info. above. I really only have a problem with one aspect of it, the "duplicate" theory. Clearly, our helicopter pilot doesn't feel that the body he saw at the bottom of the ocean was the Oceanic pilot because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring. Perhaps this will be explained away in a later flashback showing the pilot losing his ring or something, but it is still problematic for me. Does this also mean that everyone brought to the island (Dharma, Juliette) had their dopplegangers killed, or do they still exist in the outside world?

This depends on what version of "time travel" you (or I guess the writers) believe in.

Do we live in a multiverse (M theory, string theory, infinate alternate universes) or the type of time travel that doesn't allow for the grandfather paradox?

Since the writers appear to be using fairly recent science and theory I'd argue they believe in a multiverse. This would mean that in the "outside" world the plane did crash and perhaps the pilot wasn't married or didn't wear his ring. The oceanic passengers left their outside world and went to the islan. However, when they leave they can't travel to the exact time and universe they left, only a parallel one that's very similar. This solves the grandfather paradox.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Gravity also stretches spacetime. As you approach a singluarity spacetime becomes so stretched time seems to stop. I don't know the equation or conversion on how much one inch of spacetime would have to be stretched to equal a near stopage of time but it might also explain the buffer, or extra time between the outside and inside of the "island bubble."

Could the island be built around (yet far away enough from) the event horizon where light and information is lost but close enough to experience the slowing down of time? Perhaps the station was meant to control this singularity so it didn't continue to build or disperse?

Guru
03-13-2008, 09:44 PM
So the obviously end up in alternate realities depending on when they got off the island. Kate and Jack got off together. Sayeed was alone. We don't know how Hurley gets off as yet. Sun and Jin obviously leave at different times based on tonights ep.

Also, because of this situation, we still have one or more people to reveal of the Oceanic 6.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Also, because of this situation, we still have one or more people to reveal of the Oceanic 6.

That depends.

We know Jack and Kate are flash-forwards. We know Hurley and Sun are flash-forwards. I don't remember if anything Sayeed did/said assured his was a FF. Lets say it was for now. That's 5.

If you consinder Jin one of the 6 (his grave was off-island) there's your six.

If you consider Jin's grave empty we have one left.

Could that be Walt? Did Michael stay and serve Ben like Juliet did so the one they loved would be safe at home?

Did walt and Michael not get off and we have 1 yet to look for?

Chiefnj2
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I thought the date of death on the headstone was September 2004. Wasn't that when the plane crashed?

irishjayhawk
03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
That depends.

We know Jack and Kate are flash-forwards. We know Hurley and Sun are flash-forwards. I don't remember if anything Sayeed did/said assured his was a FF. Lets say it was for now. That's 5.

If you consinder Jin one of the 6 (his grave was off-island) there's your six.

If you consider Jin's grave empty we have one left.

Could that be Walt? Did Michael stay and serve Ben like Juliet did so the one they loved would be safe at home?

Did walt and Michael not get off and we have 1 yet to look for?

Sayid was in the flash forward. He was the one killing people. I don't think he and Ben were in cahoots before the island.....

irishjayhawk
03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
So the obviously end up in alternate realities depending on when they got off the island. Kate and Jack got off together. Sayeed was alone. We don't know how Hurley gets off as yet. Sun and Jin obviously leave at different times based on tonights ep.

Jin was a flash back. I'm pretty sure. He said he was only married 2 months....

Chiefnj2
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Jin was a flash back. I'm pretty sure. He said he was only married 2 months....

Jin was a flashback - married 2 months and the store saying it was the year of the dragon which was in 2000.

I think Jin is alive back on the island which is why Sun called for him while she was ondrugs during labor. His headstone says he died on the date of the crash. He didn't make it back "alive".

I thought it was a pretty lame episode overall. You learn Jin has a baby, but Sun isn't with her.

Guru
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Jin was a flashback - married 2 months and the store saying it was the year of the dragon which was in 2000.

I think Jin is alive back on the island which is why Sun called for him while she was ondrugs during labor. His headstone says he died on the date of the crash. He didn't make it back "alive".

I thought it was a pretty lame episode overall. You learn Jin has a baby, but Sun isn't with her.

Interesting catch. I don't know anything about the Japanese calendar so I missed that. Plus, I couldn't read what was on the tombstone fast enough and didn't record the ep to rewatch.

Agreed that this ep was not very good after the last three eps.

BTW, you got your names backwards there. heh.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I thought the date of death on the headstone was September 2004. Wasn't that when the plane crashed?

That's why I wonder if it might be an empty grave and Jin isn't one of the 06.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Sayid was in the flash forward. He was the one killing people. I don't think he and Ben were in cahoots before the island.....

I didn't get to see all that ep so I didn't catch any possible tipoffs as to the time. But he wouldn't be the first person to work for Ben that hated him later. Or lied about it.

If it is a FF that still leaves at least 1 of the 06 in question.

Guru
03-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I wonder how many alternate realities they are working right now. We know Kate and Jack are in one reality. Jack and Hurley are in one reality. Hurley and Sun are in one reality. Sayeed may be in one reality. Jin? Hmmmm.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I wonder how many alternate realities they are working right now. We know Kate and Jack are in one reality. Jack and Hurley are in one reality. Hurley and Sun are in one reality. Sayeed may be in one reality. Jin? Hmmmm.

Could be.

We have no idea which theories the writers/creators decided to cherry pick for the show.

The show isn't what's fun, it's the fact that it forces us to do all this thinking that is...

:evil:

Chiefnj2
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Why do you think there is more than 1 reality?

Guru
03-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Why do you think there is more than 1 reality?

There have already been several different theories about the forms of time travel we have in the storyline.

Just got me to thinking about the fact that we have never seen more than 2 of those 6 interact in the flash forwards at one time. I am not even certain that they have asked about the other survivors (Oceanic 6) in those scenes outside of Jin tonight. I don't have the eps taped to go back and rewatch just to find out if they did or not.

Rausch
03-13-2008, 11:25 PM
There have already been several different theories about the forms of time travel we have in the storyline.

Just got me to thinking about the fact that we have never seen more than 2 of those 6 interact in the flash forwards at one time. I am not even certain that they have asked about the other survivors (Oceanic 6) in those scenes outside of Jin tonight. I don't have the eps taped to go back and rewatch just to find out if they did or not.

And then there are the elements of religon on top of that.

There's karma, there are the Jinn (of Islam, the angels of elements,) the spirits of the dead communicating, etc...

Guru
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
And then there are the elements of religon on top of that.

There's karma, there are the Jinn (of Islam, the angels of elements,) the spirits of the dead communicating, etc...

Damnit you are giving me a headache. :cuss::)

irishjayhawk
03-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I didn't get to see all that ep so I didn't catch any possible tipoffs as to the time. But he wouldn't be the first person to work for Ben that hated him later. Or lied about it.

If it is a FF that still leaves at least 1 of the 06 in question.

I'm pretty sure they said that today's revelation was the last of the 6.

Kate, Jack, Hugo, Sun, Sayid and whoever was in the coffin I think. Not positive about the last one, but I'm pretty sure the PR said today's was the final revelation of the 6.

Rausch
03-14-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty sure they said that today's revelation was the last of the 6.

Kate, Jack, Hugo, Sun, Sayid and whoever was in the coffin I think. Not positive about the last one, but I'm pretty sure the PR said today's was the final revelation of the 6.

If anything this last ep leaves me thinking there's some nugget we didn't get earlier on. I just don't believe that he'd be that blatant about Jin making it with him buried.

The whole ep did seem like a farewell tour on second viewing but it seems a bit lacking.

As much %#it as they had between them they were the most "ideal" couple there. Given, out of 2 possible couples.

Yet again it supports the theory that all off islanders suffer for leaving.
Doc goes down hill, Kate gets sued and left with an other woman's child, Sayeed reverts back to Hell-for-Hire, and Sun still mourns what she never had with Jin.

Those profiles match up perfectly with how they acted pre-flight.

These "6" have changed nothing.(And specifically THESE SIX VARIABLES have changed nothing.) The ffuture 6 will have to go back to the island (and re-enter the equation by doing so) in an attempt to make things better.

My guess is that each nuber coresponds to one of the 06 and those are the variables that "must be changed." Those people, not the numbers that represent them. And only the island, over time, can give them the......well, what looks like intensive psychotherapy they need.