PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Official "Lost" the series discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

cookster50
03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
I didn't get to see all that ep so I didn't catch any possible tipoffs as to the time. But he wouldn't be the first person to work for Ben that hated him later. Or lied about it.

If it is a FF that still leaves at least 1 of the 06 in question.

He referred to himself as one of the Oceanic Six on the golf course, so I believe that makes it pretty clear it was a flash forward.

keg in kc
03-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Maybe Michael is the 6th.

Anyway, I thought it was an awesome episode. The way they tied flash-back and -forward to give the false impression that Jin was rushing to the hospital for her was inspired. It only works once, on the initial viewing, but damn did it work.

Stryker
03-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Dates on Jin's tombstone where:

Sun's DOB on the left March (something) 1980

on the right where Jin's date of birth 11/27/1974
and on the far right his death 9/22/2004 - the date of the plane crash

Baby Lee
03-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Was that Nikki's stripper detective show Sun clicked off just before getting her first contraction?

And I should have recognized that Jin's was a flashBACK when his cell phone was the size of a mix-60s Buick.

keg in kc
03-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Was that Nikki's stripper detective show Sun clicked off just before getting her first contraction?I was wondering what she had on. It's not like they ever put something in the show and don't connect it in some way.

What I want to know is what the caligraphy said on Jin's headstone. Not to mention how he died. Assuming he did.

I think this is the best season yet.

Chiefnj2
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Dates on Jin's tombstone where:

Sun's DOB on the left March (something) 1980

on the right where Jin's date of birth 11/27/1974
and on the far right his death 9/22/2004 - the date of the plane crash

There are two likely explanations:

1. He is alive and on the island, but they wanted to portray it as him dying in the crash; or
2. He dies on the island before Sun is rescued and his death is part of the cover up that there were only 8 original survivors.

Wrasse
03-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure they said that today's revelation was the last of the 6.

Kate, Jack, Hugo, Sun, Sayid and whoever was in the coffin I think. Not positive about the last one, but I'm pretty sure the PR said today's was the final revelation of the 6.

We saw Aaron...I was under the impression that he was the last of the 6 (including what you described above).

I didn't read the whole thread though and may have missed where Aaron was dismissed for some reason.

Chiefnj2
03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
We saw Aaron...I was under the impression that he was the last of the 6 (including what you described above).

I didn't read the whole thread though and may have missed where Aaron was dismissed for some reason.

I thought the producers had said something about Aaron being in utero and thus not really one of the Oceanic 6.

rad
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM

I don't think he counts as he was born on the island and not an 815 survivor.

Wrasse
03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I thought the producers had said something about Aaron being in utero and thus not really one of the Oceanic 6.
Well that makes sense.

You got me then. :)

Adept Havelock
03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Two more literary tie ins:

The book Zoe Bell (Regina?) was reading upside-down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_of_the_Chancellor

The freighter Kahana is commanded by Captain Gault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Gault

Baby Lee
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
So, Minkowski apparently dies of nosebleed inducing county fair past confusion, Regina jumps in the Ocean wraps in chains, someone appears to projected their brain matter onto the wall of a room in the quiet part of the ship [that shouldn't be there], and there's an axe embedded in an exterior wall of the ship, oh, and problems in the kitchen.

That's a lotta drama for a ship the size of a modest residence. Who knows, maybe being so close to the 'time rift storm thingy' has these crewmembers feeling like they've been there for an eternity.

That, or maybe they're trying and failing to kill themselves over and over. Just realized their actions had a 'Groundhog Day' vibe, the part where Bill kept trying to kill himself, just to end back up in bed at the inn.

Chiefnj2
03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
It looks like Michael has been ordered to make sure the ship doesn't move so the Island can use its mojo to drive everyone crazy and disappear.

irishjayhawk
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Was reading a post on Phog.net's boards by Hoopo:

The first was when Abrams joined the series, his creative input was to give Season 1 a defining mystery: The Hatch was his idea. So everything built around arriving at the open Swan hatch at the end of Season 1, with the mystery solved in the Season 2 opener. So we got this funny Scotsman who was a bit wiggy from being trapped inside there for so long. Season 2's arc was, well, what do we do with this new guy and this new setting? The answer was to write Desmond off the island and trap one of the dangerous Others who'd been attacking both the fuselage and tail section survivors. But a funny thing happened then to the storyline: people LOVED Henry Gale. So instead of his six episode arc, culminating with his demise, he became the Mad Dictator leader of the Others, supplanting the role Tom Friendly had previously occupied, and got a new name, Ben Linus.

Then they had to decide what the Others were REALLY up to. So the end of the series was plotted out right there, in terms of the characters. Then they decided what to do with this Hatch that made the series a little to, well, silly and convenient, with everybody getting fresh showers and shaves and plenty of packaged food to eat. So they had to get rid of the Hatch, but keep some of it's convenience in some other hatches around the island. So we got the Pearl, the Arrow, the Staff, the Hydra and the Looking Glass stations. But to get rid of the Swan hatch, something SUPER COOL had to happen. Thus the popular Scot came back, claimed to be unable to leave via the yacht, and the purple sky Discharge happened. Here's where the show started to wobble on the tracks.

What happened to the four guys inside the Swan? Eko was unconcious and dragged away by a polar bear. Charlie was stricken with amnesia of the event. Locke was muted. And Desmond, well, Desmond became an unwitting Dr. Who but unable to control his powers. And what's with that Ben Linus guy? Then we got another Strong Woman character to solve the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle, Juliet. What's SHE up to? Well, the pregnancy issue. Why is Ben so evil? Well, we gotta go down that road too.

So the core of the show -- Jack, Kate, Locke and Sawyer -- got a total of about 70, instead of 90, percent of the show's focus, which was a shift away from the first season. The secondary characters like Sayid, Jin, Sun, Charlie and Hurley, they were even further marginalized. And the tertiary supporting players, Rose, Bernard, Vincent and Claire, well, they might as well have been written completely off the show like Michael and Walt were. (And Ana, Libby, Eko, Shannon and Boone, ftm.)

Now Season 4 begins with a lot of ground to make up in a short time. So we get these frankly boring chapters of the series that promise to buttress the overall story and eliminate some of the non-core characters (sorry Charlie, Jin). So Ji Yeon shows that Sun survives and has her baby, yay, and poor Jin gets 86'd (or at least we're led to think this). Ben has the hots for Juliet and that's part of his evil. Locke has remarkably become completely uninteresting. And oh yeah, the off-island forces are finally maneuvering like a big lumbering ship to manipulate events and keep Ben interesting. And we get Michael back, further adding to the enormous cast and reducing screentime for the best characters, like Sawyer, who's significant contribution to the season so far was to imitate ButtCheese on the make.

Worst of all so far is that these new people mostly suck. Daniel is interesting, but mainly because he's an eccentric and very easy to be amused by. Charlotte, Frank, Miles, Keamy, Omar, Minkowski, Regina, the doctor -- these characters just suck. Charles Widmore remains cool, but his total screentime this season is likely already over.

Meanwhile the major questions are not being answered or even referred to much. We did get a few Whispers which was nice, and Hurley had a vision of Jacob's shack with an effigy of Jack's dad inside. No Monster, no Richard, no Danielle (worth mentioning), no Alex & Karl, no Walt, no Vincent.

And there's these careless inconsistencies, like Claire smiling and happily doing laundry two days after she learns of Charlie's death. And worse than the inconsistencies is that the seemingly cool Flash Forwards aren't adding up to much other than a weekly WTF? and not in a fun way.

The primary character in the series all along has been THE ISLAND itself. So far this season we've learned precious little new stuff about it, after seven episodes. You can count the new things we've learned on one hand practically: the time anomaly/anomalies, the Tempest station...I'm sure there's more but I honestly can't think of any right now. Which is inexcusable this far into what SHOUD'VE been a watershed season that saw increasing viewership. Instead, LOST went from almost 16 million viewers for The Beginning of the End to barely getting 11 million for Ji Yeon. That's a 5 million viewer wash-out and I can't say I blame any of the viewers who have given up on LOST. The show is losing itself.

Spot on, in my opinion, but I have 3+ seasons so I have nothing else to give but hope.

keg in kc
03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Another example of how people can see the same things from such different angles. I know what that blogger's saying, but even so, for me this has been the best season of them all, including a couple of the series' best single episodes.

Rausch
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
In case anyone hasn't found it yet this is by far the most thorough and well done lost site I've seen...

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/

Screen caps, theories, transcripts and mp3's of all the "whispers" on the island. You name it, it's on there somewhere...

Ari Chi3fs
03-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Next week is the last episode of this 8.

The remaining 5, will show in late April and May... here is a couple videos from next weeks episodes

Here are 2 sneak peeks that I have "obtained" for your viewing pleasure :)<br><br></p><div><a style="left: 420px ! important; top: 0px ! important;" title="Click here to block this object with Adblock Plus" class="abp-objtab-04716897601752652 visible ontop" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pej8&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1"></a><object height="336" width="420"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pej8&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pej8&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="336" width="420"></object></div><br><div><a style="left: 420px ! important; top: 0px ! important;" title="Click here to block this object with Adblock Plus" class="abp-objtab-04716897601752652 visible ontop" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pejo&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1"></a><object height="336" width="420"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pejo&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4pejo&amp;v3=1&amp;related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="336" width="420"></object></div>
</pre>

SithCeNtZ
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Another example of how people can see the same things from such different angles. I know what that blogger's saying, but even so, for me this has been the best season of them all, including a couple of the series' best single episodes.

I agree with you. I think the show has just become a victim of it's own success. It seems like everyone wants every episode to be like last year's season finale and if it doesn't throw some sort of huge curveball or have some major plot revelation then it is a dissappointment. I think we have gotten alot from the show this season. We(probably) know who owns the ship off the shore, some of the properties of the "magnetic field" that surrounds the island, we know all of the people who officially make it off the island, we know that there are many people looking for the island, we know there is something that happens when they leave the island that causes Jack to want to go back and Sayid to want to kill to defend it....all in just 7 episodes. That is way more stuff revealed than in any 7 episode stretch in the past 3 seasons.

Are Jack, Kate etc not getting enough screen time? Maybe, but did we really think the plot was going to be able to unfold with only the losties? To me it seems reasonable to have a ton of characters to have to explain an extremely complex plot. I don't see how you get one without the other. Has some of it been made up as we go along? Sure, but other than the Nikki/Paulo debacle that ended with them getting buried alive, all of the characters have had a point and are important to the plot. Even the 4 people from the boat just this season are all advancing the plot and answering things like Daniel and Desmond's visions. I know I get frustrated with the show sometimes when a seemingly unimportant episode comes and goes, but at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with the pace of it. Just think about how far we have come since watching them open the hatch. Alot has happened in 2 and a half seasons, and I think people have forgotten that and are only looking ahead to the next big thing. I bet after next weeks episode which promises to be great that everyone will be right back on board with the show, just like the end of last season. Patience is key.

Baby Lee
03-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I read an interesting perspective on the last episode on DarkUFO.

How landing on the island gave Jin and Sun;

the setting for Jin to become a different, better, man,
the setting where Jin and Sun could conceive a child,
and Sun getting off the island makes her one of the few, perhaps the only, to conceive on the island and carry a child to term.
Now, whether Jin is actually dead or not, a better version of him will live on.

Mr. Plow
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I love the show. I'm glad I've got all you guys on here to help explain some of this to me. I can't remember what happened an hour ago let alone 2 season ago.

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
That episode absolutely sucked.

thurman merman
03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
what an awesome episode. when is the next one?

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 09:25 PM
No new episodes until April 24.

Frazod
03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
That episode absolutely sucked.

???

I loved it. This season has ruled.

I hate Michael. He needs to die almost as much as Ben. But it's good to have his weasel ass back on the show.

Chiefnj2
03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Not bad.

The island has power back on the main land even stronger than "visions" of those that died.

Ben set up Karl and Rouseau and confirms he is evil.

The Chinese guy didn't deny that their orders are to kill everyone on the island after Ben is handed over. That and the machine gun trapshooting means the only "innocent" people are on the island and that nobody else, except perhaps for the island itself, is to be trusted.

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
???

I loved it. This season has ruled.

I hate Michael. He needs to die almost as much as Ben. But it's good to have his weasel ass back on the show.I thought it was pretty-much pointless until the last 5 minutes or so of the episode.

And I agree that this season has ruled. I just didn't think this episode did.

Can't have a masterpiece every week.

Third Eye
03-21-2008, 06:16 AM
I thought it was pretty-much pointless until the last 5 minutes or so of the episode.

It is strange how people's views of the same thing can be so polar opposite. I thought everything was great UNTIL the last 5 minutes. Just goes to prove the "different strokes" cliche.

Baby Lee
03-21-2008, 07:50 AM
I was too distracted by the notion of Desmond trudging around in one shoe to take much else in.

keg in kc
03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
It is strange how people's views of the same thing can be so polar opposite. I thought everything was great UNTIL the last 5 minutes. Just goes to prove the "different strokes" cliche.Well, I'd characterize it as 5 of the last 10 minutes. My 5 minutes stopped right after Sayeed turned "Kevin" in, right before the shooting started in the woods. I didn't much like that part, either (in fact, I fast-forwarded through most of it).

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Is it just me, or is Naomi smokin' HOT?!
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/mo/premiere_photo/20070220/12/2163036026.jpg

DaneMcCloud
03-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought it was pretty-much pointless until the last 5 minutes or so of the episode.

And I agree that this season has ruled. I just didn't think this episode did.

Can't have a masterpiece every week.

Pointless?

Michael got what he wanted - he and Walt got off the island. The only problem is that it's not what he expected. Not only was he not viewed as a survivor of Oceanic Flight 815, he lost Walt and had to change his identity. Additionally, he became suicidal due to his actions.

Now, he's working for the ONE man he hates: Ben Linus. Ben stole his child, "forced" him to murder Ana-Lucia (Libby was collateral damage) and he's trapped. He can't even kill himself. And the people that trusted him (the Losties) have now turned their back on him. He is, in a word, an "Island".

I didn't find this episode pointless in any way.

Frazod
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Is it just me, or is Naomi smokin' HOT?!
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/mo/premiere_photo/20070220/12/2163036026.jpg

Plus, she shoots skeet with a machine gun. What a woman! :bang:

keg in kc
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Pointless?

Michael got what he wanted - he and Walt got off the island. The only problem is that it's not what he expected. Not only was he not viewed as a survivor of Oceanic Flight 815, he lost Walt and had to change his identity. Additionally, he became suicidal due to his actions.

Now, he's working for the ONE man he hates: Ben Linus. Ben stole his child, "forced" him to murder Ana-Lucia (Libby was collateral damage) and he's trapped. He can't even kill himself. And the people that trusted him (the Losties) have now turned their back on him. He is, in a word, an "Island".

I didn't find this episode pointless in any way.All of which could have been covered in about 10 minutes. They made me sit through an hour of it. Hence...pointless.

It was by far the weakest hour of the year. Although they have set the bar high.

Frazod
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
All of which could have been covered in about 10 minutes. They made me sit through an hour of it. Hence...pointless.

It was by far the weakest hour of the year. Although they have set the bar high.

I thought it was unusual that they had a show that didn't feature Jack or Kate. At all. I may be wrong, but I think that's the first time that's happened.

Mr. Plow
03-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I thought it was unusual that they had a show that didn't feature Jack or Kate. At all. I may be wrong, but I think that's the first time that's happened.

Jack was in the opening scene....when they were going back to the whole Michael getting off the island thing.....does that count?

Baby Lee
03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Someone call a plumber?

Frazod
03-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Jack was in the opening scene....when they were going back to the whole Michael getting off the island thing.....does that count?

He was in the preview, but there was no new show footage with him or Kate. That's what I meant.

keg in kc
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Someone call a plumber?I swear I didn't freeze-frame my dvr last night to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

Really.

Promise.

patteeu
03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I was impressed with the episode. The only thing I didn't really like was the "not yet" note that popped up.

Rausch
03-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Baby Lee has done a good job in this thread.

To those about to watch, we salute you.

That said I'm buying his "Limbo" theory. I'm not sure if he truly endorsed it or just posted it as a thought but I'd agree.

Ben could be compared to God or a Satan depending on how you look at it.

Ben asked men to sacrifice for what they believed in most. Michael, Locke, etc.

Locke had to kill his father as a test (the opposite of a fairly familar biblical tale. Instead of the father killing the son it's the other way around.)
Ben said he would never punish the innocent (or would only punish the wicked.)
Ben has said to kill someone but ONLY when it became a difinative test of their character (a moral test?)
Is "the box" not similar to "the ark?" Whomever possesses it holds the power. It commands the "stronger" army.

And on top of this (furthering the limbo theory) nothing definitive can happen there. A man can die but he can't die by his own hand. If that's true that means he can only die if someone else kills him. And if that is true that means he only "fails" or "dies" due to his/her own actions.

On top of this there are many clear savior allusions. He (Ben) is either a Christ or Antichrist figure.

Mr. Plow
03-21-2008, 11:30 PM
He was in the preview, but there was no new show footage with him or Kate. That's what I meant.

I know. I was being a smartass. Not a good one at that.

Frazod
03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I know. I was being a smartass. Not a good one at that.

Needs work, dude. :D

Baby Lee
03-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Epiphany, that car crashed when Jack was about to jump off the bridge for the same reason Michael's gun wouldn't go off.

Kind of adds to the depth of Jack's depression. Everyone's calling him a hero for saving those in the accident, when he knows he caused it by trying to off himself.

Oh, and Harold 'Michael/Kevin' Perrineau may have let something slip in a radio interview.

Spoiler:
The interviewer asked 'so now you you're working for Ben? And Harold said 'yeah, . . or so Ben thinks . . . err maybe I said too much there.'

BigMeatballDave
04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Is Lost coming back this month? I thought I heard 5 more episodes this season.

Adept Havelock
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Epiphany, that car crashed when Jack was about to jump off the bridge for the same reason Michael's gun wouldn't go off.

:hmmm:

Mr. Friendly pulled a switcharoo and gave the driver a car with no firing pin?

Is Lost coming back this month? I thought I heard 5 more episodes this season.

April 24th, IIRC.

Buck
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
4 more days, bitch.

keg in kc
04-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Back tonight, make sure your DVR or TiVO is cooperating.

Mr. Plow
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Back tonight, make sure your DVR or TiVO is cooperating.

Nothing more frustrating than believing your DVR is going to record something then finding out it didn't.

Adept Havelock
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
ABC has released a new recap. Best (and possibly funniest) summary of Lost so far.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0xfM9j254&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0xfM9j254&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Tonight's episode The Shape of Things to Come is Ben-Centric, and named for a great H.G. Wells Book! PBJ

irishjayhawk
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
ABC has released a new recap. Best (and possibly funniest) summary of Lost so far.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0xfM9j254&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0xfM9j254&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Tonight's episode The Shape of Things to Come is Ben-Centric, and named for a great H.G. Wells Book! PBJ

Does that mean everything revolves around Ben? Can I also say it revolves around Jack? ;)

Probably a bad cross-thread joke. :p

Adept Havelock
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Does that mean everything revolves around Ben? Can I also say it revolves around Jack? ;)

Probably a bad cross-thread joke. :p

Ha! Not bad at all, IMO. However, I'd think it would be an argument between Jack or Locke as the centerpoint (Man of Science, Man of Faith). :p

rad
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
What the hell was that!?

irishjayhawk
04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Best episode thus far!

Guru
04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Good ep. Take out the opening 3 minutes with Jack and Kate and it would have been even better. What a pointless exchange other than to put across the fact that Jack has an appendix problem.

Ari Chi3fs
04-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Makes you wonder why Jack is ****ed up. Did they poison him or something? The morse code asked something like, how is the doctor?

THis was a great episode... that smoke monster tearing up those people was wild. How did he just control it? Wild.

Buck
04-25-2008, 01:06 AM
So, I have a feeling that the Locke - Sawyer rivalry will be better than the Jack - Locke rivalry.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Shit, i got stuck watching Inside the NBA and forgot about it. Off to torrent the damn thing.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Holy shit. I dont think its possible for a TV show to get any better then this. This show is pure greatness from top to bottom.

cadmonkey
04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
I gain more and more respect for Ben each week. He was a bad ass this week.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Great episode. A few random thoughts: (a) a doctor doesn't know he has appendicitis?, (b) when the "extras" received their scripts they must have been like - wow, I get to speak! Oh no, I get shot 1 second after I deliver my first line!, (c) did the bald headed guy kill Sayid's wife, or was it set up by Ben? (d) interesting that Ben and Widmore have a long established set of "rules", (e) Ben's winter coat makes you think he transported from the island to the arctic (where the Portugese team is?) and then to the desert, (f) if you were one of the beach people wouldn't you have shot one of the freighter people in the leg in order to start getting some real answers?

cadmonkey
04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Ben pops up in...Tunisia!?! Not to mention, he's wearing Edgar Halliwax's parka with a new DHARMA logo on it, presumably for the Orchid station. Was he time (and space) traveling? Sure seems so. He appears to have an injured arm. Is this in any way related to the prosthetic arm of the real Marvin Candle/Edgar Halliwax/Mark Wickmund? Does utilizing the Orchid Station cause this injury somehow or was Ben escaping from someone who had injured him?

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=56914&stc=1&d=1209131629

cadmonkey
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Also, when Ben is first shown he is shaking and it appears that some sort of steam or cold is emanating from him, indicating perhaps that he has just arrived from a time travel episode. He also vomits, and it appears to be orange in color, very similar to the drink that Julie had to chug before she was taken to the island. Was this the same stuff? Is it required for time or space travel?

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=56915&stc=1&d=1209131790

cadmonkey
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I know some of you feel that Smokey is kinda dumb, but seeing the hyrogliphics on the door that Ben goes into, you kinda have to wonder if the island was some sort of accient community? When Ben went down into the cave he summond Smokey.

Also, when Farraday called the boat with the morse code and lied about what they said about the doctor, does anyone think this could have something to do with the time lapse from the boat to the island. He may really be alive and well on the boat, but dead at the same time on the island.

Frazod
04-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Holy shit. I dont think its possible for a TV show to get any better then this. This show is pure greatness from top to bottom.

Uh, Battlestar Galactica.

But this is pretty damned good, too.

I love the way Sawyer has adopted Hurley. :D

Baby Lee
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Kate wants it bad, mock slipping her shirt off for Jack, goo-goo eyes for Faraday's every move. She's a jager shot from arching her back, moaning and ending up chained to Samuel Jackson's radiator.

Baby Lee
04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
DL: Here's the scoop for Popular Mechanics: According to the rules of our show, a communication between sat phones is not affected by temporal distortion, but if you were to send a radio broadcast and/or a telegraph message, it would be affected by temporal distortion. That's the scoop for Popular Mechanics and Popular Mechanics only, and it will make a lot more sense after you've seen the first episode back.

Molitoth
04-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Great episode last night. I've always thought Ben was a pure badass, there hasn't been a situation that he can't get himself out of.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I think there is a break in logic.

Widmore sent the freighter to (a) locate the island, (b) grab Ben.

Presumably the freighter captain told Widmore they found the island and people tried to row to it, and/or the copter took off for it.

When Ben meets Widmore he tells him the rules changed since Widmore's guys killed his daughter. That should tell Widmore that his expedition in finding the island was successful.

Then, why does Ben tell Widmore he can't find the island and they are each in a race - Widmore to the isle and Ben to Penny??

Frazod
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Great episode last night. I've always thought Ben was a pure badass, there hasn't been a situation that he can't get himself out of.

He's like an evil geeky James Bond.

Adept Havelock
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks of the Popular Mechanics comment on Sat. Phones vs. Telegraph Baby Lee. I wondered about that.

I wonder if the Hieroglyphics in Smokey's cave read "Proudly Manufactured in Mu"?

you kinda have to wonder if the island was some sort of ancient community?

Either that or the Hostiles/Others have a wicked sense of humor.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Freakin' excellent show last night. Ben's little smile as he left Said after Said killed Baldy and then 'insisted' on joining Ben? Priceless.

There's a lot of stuff here I'm still thinking about. Time/space warps, Mu, Moo goo gai pan. All kinds of stuff. I'll be ready for next week.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Uh, Battlestar Galactica.

But this is pretty damned good, too.

I love the way Sawyer has adopted Hurley. :D

I dont watch BSG. No plans to either, but i dont see a TV show getting much better. BSG may be, but it just doesnt interest me.

KcMizzou
04-25-2008, 08:28 PM
I've lost track of the show, but I caught a bit of the last episode and was pretty much sucked back in again. (I'll have to start over from the beginning) Found this Popular Mechanics article today, and thought you guys might enjoy it.

At its geeky core, Lost is a show about science and faith—and it's undeniable that this season, science is taking center stage. As the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 try to unravel the island's mysteries in an effort to get off of it, they are thwarted again and again by temporal distortion, electromagnetic energy and time travel of the mind—not to mention a really cranky smoke monster that may or may not have a basis in science.

In a revealing interview with Popular Mechanics on the eve of Lost's return from a strike-induced hiatus, show runners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse insisted that they agonize over the real-life science behind the sci-fi drama as much as they do over six-year plot arcs and love triangles.

Before the production crew in Hawaii gets to chalking up physics equations, eight writers in Los Angeles dissect the finer points of each episode just as rabidly as Lost's online nerdosphere. Script coordinator Greg Nations tracks down even more specific research than PM's weekly Hollywood Sci-Fi vs. Reality fact check, while the rest of the writer's room relies on a couple years of physics classes, decades of engineering know-how passed down by Cuse's father ... and every time-travel theory in comic-book history.

But text books can be left on the cutting room floor of a show that ultimately abides by "Jurassic Park rules," because it does, after all, take place on an island full of out-of-place creatures. "The science needs to be right enough that we create a sense of believability to the storytelling," Cuse says. "But we're always trying to skirt that line between the two possible explanations—the scientific one or a mythical and magical one—and we are purposefully ambiguous about which one might be correct."

"Hopefully it won't feel like it's a copout when the show does answer that question," Lindelof adds, "because we never promised a show that was based entirely and grounded in science."

Perhaps the most ambiguous faith-or-science mystery on Lost is that murderous smoke monster (rumor has it Smokey will be back in tonight's episode). Because the travelling black cloud often materializes with a roller coaster-style clanking sound, one popular theory suggests that it comprises thousands of nanobots working in tandem. Lindelof, however, says that's definitely not the case, and that the monster's true identity won't be revealed until the show's final stretch in 2010.

But the creators did let slip that the rest of this season will revolve around some very real—and very big—physics: the Large Hadron Collider, the much delayed European particle accelerator that could reveal information about the Higgs boson and dark energy. Some physicists believe the LHC will produce mini black holes, which might actually be able to open a one-way portal to another universe—a gateway that can only be kept open by a force of energy as strong as Jupiter ... or an electromagnet inside a desert island.

Michio Kaku, author of Physics of the Impossible, thinks the Lost creators are using cutting-edge science to lay the groundwork for a transversible wormhole to another point in space and time—a trip foreshadowed in an off-season video about the so-called Orchid station, which Lindelhof and Cuse promised would be a key to the next few episodes. "They're amping up the energy to the point where space and time begin to tear, and the fabric begins to rip," Kaku tells PM. "When the fabric of space and time begin to rip, things that we consider impossible become possible again."

Even new technology, though, has its limits. And the Lost team had no problem modifying some next-gen touchscreen satellite phones to its needs in showing off its beyond-iPhone power, beginning late last season. "We didn't really want to put ourselves in a position where we were married to everything that exists technologically," Cuse says. "We decided that our satellite phone would be a very modern, high-tech version." Plus, Lindelof adds, they're dealing with the personal property of a bad guy who can plant a fake plane crash in a submarine trench too deep for recovery.

One thing's for certain: Lost is the first mainstream TV show since Mr. Wizard to make science cool again. Across thousands of Web sites devoted to Lost, obsessive viewers analyze screen captures, debate theories of living in purgatory and play online games in trying to answer the ultimate science question: What is this damn island? Andy Page, webmaster of Lost fan site DarkUFO, says his site normally receives 800,000 hits the day after a new episode, and has had over 50 million hits in two years. "It started as a simple blog listing all the outstanding mysteries of the show and snowballed from there," he says, insisting that The X-Files has nothing on Lost when it comes to myth hunting.

"It kind of boggles our minds, actually," Cuse says. "We never imagined that people would get wrapped up in the intricacies of it to the degree that they have. We really just set out to make a show that we thought was kind of cool and entertaining."

Mission accomplished.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4260687.html?series=6

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 12:04 AM
That episode did something that I thought impossible: it made me feel sympathy for Benjamin Linus.

Miles
04-27-2008, 02:58 AM
That episode did something that I thought impossible: it made me feel sympathy for Benjamin Linus.

Just watched it tonight and thought the same thing. I have always greatly liked the character but never thought I would feel sympathetic towards him.

keg in kc
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Something tells me I'll be watching tonight's on line, what with the apocalypse and all hitting KC.

Buck
05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Something tells me I'll be watching tonight's on line, what with the apocalypse and all hitting KC.

That would be teh suck

keg in kc
05-01-2008, 08:54 PM
That would be teh suckThe like to do random cut-ins and keep maps that are roughly a quarter of the size of the screen up.

May sweeps really, really sucks in the midwest...

Adept Havelock
05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
The like to do random cut-ins and keep maps that are roughly a quarter of the size of the screen up.

May sweeps really, really sucks in the midwest...

I can't find a stream, so it looks like I'll be visiting Demonoid later tonight. :banghead:

WEIRDWOLF
05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
CRAP...frickin storm! Is their any place online to see the show?

Adept Havelock
05-01-2008, 09:09 PM
CRAP...frickin storm! Is their any place online to see the show?

It will be on the ABC website later tonight or early tomorrow, or there will be torrents up in a few hours.

Moobs
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
So far it is really good....

BigOlChiefsfan
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Those of us who've been watching red blobs move thru blue blobs onscreen salute you.

Guru
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Those of us who've been watching red blobs move thru blue blobs onscreen salute you.

Feel for ya bud. That sucks.

Moobs
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Spoilers:

First I was like: :eek:

And then I was like: :hmmm:

But at the end I was like: :doh!:

Third Eye
05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Good Ep., sorry to those who haven't got to watch it yet. Do the torrents include the previews to next week?

keg in kc
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Well, that f*cking sucks.

Get home after a 12-hour day in the studio. Want to wind down a little bit, and every goddamn show I recorded tonight is pre-empted with storm coverage. Including the shows on CW, so I couldn't even watch Smallville or Supernatural. Apparently channel 9 didn't think it was enough to interrupt their own programming, they needed to hijack another station.

I f*cking hate this shit.

Adept Havelock
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Get home after a 12-hour day in the studio. Want to wind down a little bit, and every goddamn show I recorded tonight is pre-empted with storm coverage. Including the shows on CW, so I couldn't even watch Smallville or Supernatural. Apparently channel 9 didn't think it was enough to interrupt their own programming, they needed to hijack another station.

Lost Season 4 Episode 10 torrent, for all of us who had to watch blobs. :D

http://tracker.btarena.org/torrents.php?mode=details&id=e212811d6d4eab0bf856baff40f71df624aea916

If that one doesn't work try this:
http://www.btarena.com/file/movies/tv/lost-4-10-something_nice_back_home-hdtv_xvid-fov.html

There are also Rapidshare links at the second link I posted. Mine just finished. Time to watch. :D

p/w:www.btarena.org

Enjoy, folks.

Guru
05-01-2008, 11:21 PM

And the weather people just don't understand the outrage at all. They are SAVING LIVES you know. heh :doh!:

keg in kc
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
And the weather people just don't understand the outrage at all. They are SAVING LIVES you know. heh :doh!:The maps are more than intrusive enough. Do we really need a 90-minute play-by-play of every f*cking cloud and raindrop within 1000 miles?

Guru
05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
They really need to turn to utilizing the web and secondary broadcasts for this crap now. People that want to know will go out of their way to find out.

Buck
05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I guess it wasn't the worst episode to miss. There was only 1 thing that happened that would keep you scratching your head if you started watching next week.

Chiefnj2
05-02-2008, 09:12 AM
It was a filler episode to please the female viewers who care about the Jack/Kate/Juliette triangle.

Guru
05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
It was a filler episode to please the female viewers who care about the Jack/Kate/Juliette triangle.

Threesome? cool.

Baby Lee
05-03-2008, 05:23 AM
General query.

As Ben is now Locke's 'daddy,' do you think there will come a time when Locke realizes Ben has to go, but not have the fortitude to off him, and call on Sawyer to do the deed?

ChiefsFanatic
05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
It was a filler episode to please the female viewers who care about the Jack/Kate/Juliette/Sawyer love square.

FYP

ChiefsFanatic
05-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Lost Season 4 Episode 10 torrent, for all of us who had to watch blobs. :D

http://tracker.btarena.org/torrents.php?mode=details&id=e212811d6d4eab0bf856baff40f71df624aea916

If that one doesn't work try this:
http://www.btarena.com/file/movies/tv/lost-4-10-something_nice_back_home-hdtv_xvid-fov.html

There are also Rapidshare links at the second link I posted. Mine just finished. Time to watch. :D

p/w:www.btarena.org

Enjoy, folks.

I usually go to pirate bay and search recent torrents about two hours after any show I want to see airs. I convert the downloads to play on my ipod, and play it through component hook up on my 50" dlp tv. They look pretty darn good.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2008, 08:52 PM
General query.

As Ben is now Locke's 'daddy,' do you think there will come a time when Locke realizes Ben has to go, but not have the fortitude to off him, and call on Sawyer to do the deed?

No because Ben is in the flash forwards. Unless I'm missing on something you're saying.

Baby Lee
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
No because Ben is in the flash forwards. Unless I'm missing on something you're saying.

Obviously, I'm thinking this would be pretty late in the story, perhaps later than we've seen thus far.
It's just I'm seeing the same dynamic of faith and frustration Locke had with his Dad between him and Ben.

noa
05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
So what's the deal with the timeline here?

Were these events between Jack and Kate before Jack's epic meltdown that was last season's finale, or did that precede this episode? I know Kate's trial came first, but that seems like its very early on in the post-island timeline, whereas Jack's meltdown could have been later, at a point where he had really pissed off Kate, like he started to do in this episode. It seemed like they were hinting that this was the beginning of a downward spiral for Jack, not the beginning of another one. Thoughts?

Also, what about the Red Sox/Yankees thing. I read one theory that the article referred to a series in 2007 where the Yankees swept the Sox, but then someone pointed out that all of those games were close, so they weren't really bludgeonings, and the most recent bludgeoning throughout a series by the Yankees over the Sox was actually in 2006.

Buck
05-05-2008, 12:26 AM
So what's the deal with the timeline here?

Were these events between Jack and Kate before Jack's epic meltdown that was last season's finale, or did that precede this episode? I know Kate's trial came first, but that seems like its very early on in the post-island timeline, whereas Jack's meltdown could have been later, at a point where he had really pissed off Kate, like he started to do in this episode. It seemed like they were hinting that this was the beginning of a downward spiral for Jack, not the beginning of another one. Thoughts?

Also, what about the Red Sox/Yankees thing. I read one theory that the article referred to a series in 2007 where the Yankees swept the Sox, but then someone pointed out that all of those games were close, so they weren't really bludgeonings, and the most recent bludgeoning throughout a series by the Yankees over the Sox was actually in 2006.

In order (the Jack Flash Forwards)

- This seasons premier (Hurley episode)
- Last weeks episode
- Last seasons finale

noa
05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
In order (the Jack Flash Forwards)

- This seasons premier (Hurley episode)
- Last weeks episode
- Last seasons finale

Thanks. That makes sense.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 12:37 AM
So, I have a feeling that the Locke - Sawyer rivalry will be better than the Jack - Locke rivalry.

I hope so, they're my two favorite characters on there.

I'm starting to like the new "Dark Jack" though...:)

Rausch
05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Obviously, I'm thinking this would be pretty late in the story, perhaps later than we've seen thus far.
It's just I'm seeing the same dynamic of faith and frustration Locke had with his Dad between him and Ben.

Apparently Ben and Whidmore can't be killed (much like the other people from the island off the island.)

Those two have set up the classic God/Satan battle. They have rules for interaction, they don't (for the most part) directly kill anyone on the island, and they're both figting for the island (souls, earth, etc.)

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM

I think you may be right. I expect we're going to see at least some of the Oceanic 6 going back to the Island late in the series. Perhaps by leaving they've somehow screwed up the timeline and undone the purpose of the Dharma Project (stopping doomsday).

Miles
05-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Kate being a terribly annoying character is now really starting to outweigh her being hot.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I think you may be right. I expect we're going to see at least some of the Oceanic 6 going back to the Island late in the series. Perhaps by leaving they've somehow screwed up the timeline and undone the purpose of the Dharma Project (stopping doomsday).

I was under the impression that the furthest into the future that we'd see was last season's finale.

BigRedChief
05-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Kate being a terribly annoying character is now really starting to outweigh her being hot.
Not a chance.
http://www.lostcrazy.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/evangeline-lilly-gg-05.jpg
http://skipjenkins.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/evangeline-lilly.jpg

Frazod
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM

:mad:

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I was under the impression that the furthest into the future that we'd see was last season's finale.

It is. I expect we will start seeing past that time-frame next season.

BRC- That second pic... :drool:

Rausch
05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Freakin' excellent show last night. Ben's little smile as he left Said after Said killed Baldy and then 'insisted' on joining Ben? Priceless.

This is exactly the type of bad guy I love.

Rausch's (new) Lost theory: I remember visiting with what might have been one of the last of the old railroad hobos. I don't know how often he came through but I cought him about 4 or 5 times in a 2-3 year span.

One of our conversations ended with this:

Hobo: The devil never cheated anyone.

Me: *something juvenile and smartass*

Hobo: He doesn't have to. He just opens the door so you can be you.

Me: *nothing.*

Hobo: I know you want to jump a train. What you want and what you do aren't the same. Once they are he's gotcha'...

So far we've watched as everyone on the island was tested and also given what they wanted. Like Hurley, in some way they've all won the lottery. But did they all live happily ever after? It's like the island is a whad of clay that isn't moled by you, but instead for you.

All the characters are conflicted and have both the black and white aspects of character. It really does seem like pergatory.

The creators are heavily influenced by literature and big film buffs. I see the island as a combination of The Last Temptation of Christ and The Sphere.

What if God had a hard time deciding where you should go and decided to let you choose, in sudden death overtime?...

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 09:27 PM
It is. I expect we will start seeing past that time-frame next season.

BRC- That second pic... :drool:

See, I thought the opposite.

I thought that last season ended with the furthest we'd see. And then they'd work backwards with the flash forwards.

Essentially a 3 season halves with flash backs and forwards, 3 seasons each.

I'd love to be wrong because I think they need to do more past last season finale's point. I also think time travel might explain how that comes into play. Hell, we're on the tip of the iceberg with time travel and the island relationship thus far.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
This is exactly the type of bad guy I love.

Rausch's (new) Lost theory: I remember visiting with what might have been one of the last of the old railroad hobos. I don't know how often he came through but I cought him about 4 or 5 times in a 2-3 year span.

One of our conversations ended with this:

Hobo: The devil never cheated anyone.

Me: *something juvenile and smartass*

Hobo: He doesn't have to. He just opens the door so you can be you.

Me: *nothing.*

Hobo: I know you want to jump a train. What you want and what you do aren't the same. Once they are he's gotcha'...

So far we've watched as everyone on the island was tested and also given what they wanted. Like Hurley, in some way they've all won the lottery. But did they all live happily ever after? It's like the island is a whad of clay that isn't moled by you, but instead for you.

All the characters are conflicted and have both the black and white aspects of character. It really does seem like pergatory.

The creators are heavily influenced by literature and big film buffs. I see the island as a combination of The Last Temptation of Christ and The Sphere.

What if God had a hard time deciding where you should go and decided to let you choose, in sudden death overtime?...

Good theory. I have a couple bones to pick here though.

1) Wouldn't this fall under what they categorically ruled out: purgatory/limbo?

2) I guess the rules of the "sudden death overtime" would be put forth but what happened to those who died. What happened to those who have trouble post-island and those that don't (jack versus walt)?

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
See, I thought the opposite.

I thought that last season ended with the furthest we'd see. And then they'd work backwards with the flash forwards.

Essentially a 3 season halves with flash backs and forwards, 3 seasons each.

I'd love to be wrong because I think they need to do more past last season finale's point. I also think time travel might explain how that comes into play. Hell, we're on the tip of the iceberg with time travel and the island relationship thus far.

I think they will, even if takes a while to get there. After Jack's "We have to go back" and obsessive flights to Japan, I expect they some will get back to the Island at some point.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Good theory. I have a couple bones to pick here though.

1) Wouldn't this fall under what they categorically ruled out: purgatory/limbo?

Depends.

They've not so clearly drawn the lines of where physics meets magnetism/gravity/space time and then religion.

Once you have made the decision to marry the science and the soul, which is the clear end point, who knows (even if my conclusion is wrong.)

And if you've seen "The Last Temptation Of Christ" it doesn't have to be about some defined Heaven/Hell/Pergatory split. The idea is that the test is unique to the individual and only your actions are what's important to you.

2) I guess the rules of the "sudden death overtime" would be put forth but what happened to those who died. What happened to those who have trouble post-island and those that don't (jack versus walt)?

Who died that isn't still "present?"

The post-islant problems are all due to decisions made on-island.

Jack is not troubled by going back. He's clearly ate up by what he's left.

Same for Mr. Fatty (did his rock star ghost go away?)

Kate has a life, but she's not happy. She's still the "running Kate."

What is Sayeed doing? Same thing. Still chasing his hate, still making people suffer.

I'd argue, like life, the island follows you. It tracks you down and makes you admit to the parts of you that you don't like to see. So far, anway, that's what the characters have gone through. The Doc follows daddy and gets strung out, Fatty surrenders to what he thinks is his insanity, Sayeed again kills (for pleasure,) and Kate again feels like it's her vs. world.

Nothing has changed in the flash forwards other than the setting...

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Depends.

They've not so clearly drawn the lines of where physics meets magnetism/gravity/space time and then religion.

Once you have made the decision to marry the science and the soul, which is the clear end point, who knows (even if my conclusion is wrong.)

And if you've seen "The Last Temptation Of Christ" it doesn't have to be about some defined Heaven/Hell/Pergatory split. The idea is that the test is unique to the individual and only your actions are what's important to you.

I haven't seen that film, but it's been recommended to me by more than one person. I see your point here.

Who died that isn't still "present?"

Well, we've seen very little of the brother-sister. I forget their names but they both died in Season 1 or beginning of Season 2. We've seen them maybe twice since then. Never in the future either.

The post-islant problems are all due to decisions made on-island.

I would assume you are saying Hurley's decision to leave is the decision that made him the "bridge" between the two worlds? If not, I would offer that as the contrary example.

Jack is not troubled by going back. He's clearly ate up by what he's left.

Yes, and this is the thing that makes me like the future Jack and hate the current Jack. The current Jack (on the island in this season) is pathetic and doesn't even compare to the Season 1 Jack who was badass. I loved the Jack-Locke feud but they seem to be done with it.

Same for Mr. Fatty (did his rock star ghost go away?)
?

Kate has a life, but she's not happy. She's still the "running Kate."

True. And Kate is probably one of the more least interesting characters.

What is Sayeed doing? Same thing. Still chasing his hate, still making people suffer.

Hmmm, fair point here. I hadn't thought of that. Clue me in though, as I've forgotten, what was he hating before the island? His part in the war?

I'd argue, like life, the island follows you. It tracks you down and makes you admit to the parts of you that you don't like to see. So far, anway, that's what the characters have gone through. The Doc follows daddy and gets strung out, Fatty surrenders to what he thinks is his insanity, Sayeed again kills (for pleasure,) and Kate again feels like it's her vs. world.

Nothing has changed in the flash forwards other than the setting...

Hmmm, very well put. I'll actually buy that.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, we've seen very little of the brother-sister. I forget their names but they both died in Season 1 or beginning of Season 2. We've seen them maybe twice since then. Never in the future either.?

There's the chink in the armour of my theory.

Easily tossed off though by including them in the "island whispers."

Guru
05-06-2008, 01:51 AM

They couldn't consider the series complete if they did that. It would technically end up a cliff hanger. They said that would happen so I would imagine we will go further into the future than that. Probably advance with each of the next two season with the flash forwards.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 01:58 AM
They couldn't consider the series complete if they did that. It would technically end up a cliff hanger. They said that would happen so I would imagine we will go further into the future than that. Probably advance with each of the next two season with the flash forwards.

It is so apparent that none of you guys really "get" this show.

Guru
05-06-2008, 02:03 AM

No offense Dane, I'm not in the mood right now.:grr:

Third Eye
05-06-2008, 02:05 AM

It is also apparent that your social skills were stunted at some point.

keg in kc
05-06-2008, 02:05 AM
No offense Dane, I'm not in the mood right now.Alas, Dane, my friend. You'll be hearing that a lot after the baby's born.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 02:08 AM
No offense but have you been WATCHING the show? At all?

Three words for you: Time travel.

I'll give you the answer right now:

The island is an Axis Mundi.

It's a portal that exists between Earth and "Heaven". Time has no meaning there. People can't get pregnant and create "new life" there. It's a gateway. And there's two opposing forces trying to control it: Ben's organization and Widmore's organization.

So there you go.

These comments are from February

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 02:09 AM
It is also apparent that your social skills were stunted at some point.

Considering I was born and raised in Kansas, I'd say early on.

:evil:

Guru
05-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Alas, Dane, my friend. You'll be hearing that a lot after the baby's born.

Isn't that the truth. I haven't even bothered asking my wife yet. heh

Miles
05-06-2008, 02:18 AM
:mad:

I realize how hot she is and when the show first started I thought she was damn near perfect. Still at this point I wouldn't mind if she were offed by the lesbian dinosaurs on the island only to be seen in flashbacks with little clothing and minimal speaking parts. Though I may be unduly blaming that character for the f@cking annoying love square BS.

Baby Lee
05-06-2008, 05:16 AM

From the guy who dissed Juno as unrealistic. . .

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
ROFL

Umm, my problem with this is that if they decided to do this, it would, in my opinion, directly contradict them saying "no purgatory/limbo". That is exactly what it is. A limbo between life and death.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM

It is so apparent you are so wedded to your particular interpretation you can't consider alternative POV's.

No point in discussing it anymore. Dane has spoken from the mountaintop. :rolleyes:

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Off-topic but you think Juno was realistic??

An extremely, smart, witty teenager who is obviously sharper than anyone in her circle of life chooses not to use birth control or protection when having planned sexual intercourse?

Not buying it.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
ROFL

Umm, my problem with this is that if they decided to do this, it would, in my opinion, directly contradict them saying "no purgatory/limbo". That is exactly what it is. A limbo between life and death.

No, not necessarily.

Widmore can't find the island. Ben knows how to travel back and forth but won't share the info. Widmore hires Faraday to find the island, buys the "lost" Hanso journal from the Blackrock. He'll do anything to find the island.

I don't think it's "purgatory". That's supposedly where people who haven't sinned enough to be sent to Hell go for punishment. Additionally in theory, there would be millions of souls in purgatory, it wouldn't be empty.

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM

An extremely, smart, witty teenager who is obviously sharper than anyone in her circle of life chooses not to use birth control or protection when having planned sexual intercourse?

Not buying it.LMAO WTF?

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Its annoying to me when people call a movie 'unrealistic'. No shit, its a ****ing movie.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
There's only 3 episodes left this year. Thursday night's show and a two-hour episode next week. After that, there will only be 32 hours in total left of the show, 16 episodes in 2009 and the final 16 in 2010.

And supposedly, there will be some massive reveals in the final three hours this season. So it's possible that the true nature of the island will be revealed.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Its annoying to me when people call a movie 'unrealistic'. No shit, its a ****ing movie.

Great argument :rolleyes:

So books are realistic? Movies aren't realistic? W.T.F ever.

Juno wasn't a "fantasy". And it has a serious plot hole with a hyper-intelligent girl choosing not to use birth control.

It's annoying to me when people think they make a point but really don't. It's just blah, blah, blah.

BigRedChief
05-06-2008, 03:15 PM
I thought the plot was leading towards Widemore trying to find the island and kill Ben so that Ben can't kill his daughter?

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
It's annoying to me when people think they make a point but really don't. It's just blah, blah, blah.

No point in discussing it anymore. Dane has spoken from the mountaintop. :rolleyes:
Almost as annoying as egomaniacs who believe their POV is the only correct one. Blah, blah, blah. :shake:

I've known very smart kids that took a stupid risk now and then. Had a large role in raising a couple.

For the record, Hyper-Intelligent and Sharp ≠ never taking a dumb risk. IMO, it can lead to a condition called "being too smart for your own good". :shrug:

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Almost as annoying as egomaniacs who believe their POV is the only correct one. Blah, blah, rinse and repeat. :shake:

I've known plenty of very smart kids that took a risk now and then. Apparently you never did.

And apparently since I don't share the same opinion as you, I'm an egomaniac.

Which in itself is completely laughable considering the great lengths you go in this forum to prove that you are always correct, whether it's in this sub-forum or the DC sub-forum.

What a freakin' joke :rolleyes:

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I've known very smart kids that took a stupid risk now and then. Had a large hand in raising a couple. Apparently you never did. Hyper-Intelligent and Sharp ≠ never taking a dumb risk. :shrug:

No, I didn't take those kind of risks. Not in high school, college or as an adult. I've seen first hand the problems that are created by teenage and young adult pregnancy and wanted no part of it.

Why is it so difficult to buy a box of condoms?

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
And apparently since I don't share the same opinion as you, I'm an egomaniac.
ROFL

Not at all. Our differing opinions have nothing to do with it.

Regarding your axis mundi theory, it's possible, and an interesting conjecture. Where we differ is I'm not going to berate someone or insinuate they aren't sufficently intelligent "to get it" because they dare to offer a different opinion on something as yet unsubstantiated. You have done exactly that several times in this thread, and it's that behavior that reinforces my view of you as an egomaniac.

Which in itself is completely laughable considering the great lengths you go in this forum to prove that you are always correct, whether it's in this sub-forum or the DC sub-forum.

What a freakin' joke :rolleyes:

ROFL

Unlike some on this board, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if I'm shown to be in error. I'm pretty sure almost any regular in DC or any other forum who is familiar with my posts would confirm that. Will I go to lengths to make and defend my point? Certainly. However, it's a long way from that to the claim of inerrancy you have falsely attributed to me.

What a freakin' joke indeed. Keep flailing. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't take those kind of risks. Not in high school, college or as an adult. I've seen first hand the problems that are created by teenage and young adult pregnancy and wanted no part of it.

Why is it so difficult to buy a box of condoms?

Again, just because you didn't, doesn't preclude every sharp or intelligent kid from taking a (IMO) foolish risk now and then.

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll admit. I must be completely stupid. I don't have a clue what an axis mundi is. The show is very interesting to me. I enjoy it. I guess I don't 'get' the show as DM says.

The Office is my favorite show. I have never worked in an office. Does that mean I don't 'get' that show, either.

I also watch Grey's Anatomy. I'm not a doctor. Obviously, I don't 'get' it...

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I'll admit. I must be completely stupid. I don't have a clue what an axis mundi is. The show is very interesting to me. I enjoy it. I guess I don't 'get' the show as DM says.

The Office is my favorite show. I have never worked in an office. Does that mean I don't 'get' that show, either.

I also watch Grey's Anatomy. I'm not a doctor. Obviously, I don't 'get' it...

ROFL Nice.

I've never had the majority of my species annihilated by cyborgs, and been forced to flee in search of a mythical locale to reestablish my culture. That doesn't keep me from "getting" BSG or commenting on it.

PBJ PBJ PBJ

Besides, I figured out a long time ago who was behind the Island, Widmore, and Ben. It's just a shame no one else is bright enough to understand it... :p

http://b.imagehost.org/0712/atrumanshow12.jpg

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Great argument :rolleyes:

So books are realistic? Movies aren't realistic? W.T.F ever.

Juno wasn't a "fantasy". And it has a serious plot hole with a hyper-intelligent girl choosing not to use birth control.

You are saying that all intelligent people are infallible?

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
No, not necessarily.

Widmore can't find the island. Ben knows how to travel back and forth but won't share the info. Widmore hires Faraday to find the island, buys the "lost" Hanso journal from the Blackrock. He'll do anything to find the island.

I don't think it's "purgatory". That's supposedly where people who haven't sinned enough to be sent to Hell go for punishment. Additionally in theory, there would be millions of souls in purgatory, it wouldn't be empty.

Umm, limbo is the same thing on the other end (between heaven and earth). So, yeah, it kind of is the same thing they've ruled out. Which would piss me off just because people speculated that way back and they ruled it out.

Guru
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Dane, I appreciate your views on the show. I would never have even heard of the term "axis mundi" had you not posted it. That being said, the fact that you choose to talk down to and treat everyone here as an idiot makes no sense to me.

Just present your opinions without berating everyone and people wouldn't be attacking you right now.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Dane, I appreciate your views on the show. I would never have even heard of the term "axis mundi" had you not posted it. That being said, the fact that you choose to talk down to and treat everyone here as an idiot makes no sense to me.

Just present your opinions without berating everyone and people wouldn't be attacking you right now.

I'm only being attacked by people that want to argue. As predicted, Adept feels the need to tear apart, line by line and phrase by phrase, anything that anyone says that isn't in line with his thinking. It's his M.O. I'm fine with it but it's not unexpected.

Additionally, I'm not calling anyone an idiot. I didn't use those words. The fact that someone can't see plot holes in a movie, TV series or book doesn't negate the fact that they exist.

Furthermore, bringing up a totally unrelated film and my opinion of it doesn't have any bearing on the discussion at hand.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
You are saying that all intelligent people are infallible?

Bringing up my opinion of "Juno" should have no bearing on the "Lost" discussion.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm only being attacked by people that want to argue. As predicted, Adept feels the need to tear apart, line by line and phrase by phrase, anything that anyone says that isn't in line with his thinking. It's his M.O. I'm fine with it but it's not unexpected.

Poor Dane...attacked by people who call him out for talking down to people who have a differing opinion on something unsubstantiated. How upsetting that someone might dare to disagree with something you said, thereby arguing. LMAO

I suppose that's easier than admitting you made a false accusation.

Then again, that is your M.O. so I guess I'm OK with it too. :thumb:

Additionally, I'm not calling anyone an idiot. I didn't use those words.
At least you're not denying Guru's (accurate) assessment of you talking down to people. :clap:

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Poor Dane...attacked by people who call him out for talking down to people who have a differing opinion on something unsubstantiated. How upsetting that someone might dare to disagree with something you said, thereby arguing.

I suppose that's easier than admitting you made a false accusation.

Then again, that is your M.O. so I guess I'm OK with it too. :thumb:

Whatever.

Where did I "talk down" to anyone? By stating "You guys don't get it?" That's talking down?

If so, I'm guilty. Talk about touchy.

Additionally, you LOVE to debate with anyone with whom disagrees with you or your opinion, yet the person with whom you're debating is referred to as an "egomaniac". THAT makes no sense, whatsoever.

noa
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Where did I "talk down" to anyone? By stating "You guys don't get it?" That's talking down?

You're kidding, right?

Wow.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Additionally, you LOVE to debate with anyone with whom disagrees with you or your opinion, yet the person with whom you're debating is referred to as an "egomaniac". THAT makes no sense, whatsoever.

You're partly right. I do enjoy debate. Debate usually happens when there is a disagreement. :shrug:

However, you're the only one I call an "egomaniac". Why? As I explained, for berating and talking down to people for having a different opinion about something no one knows...namely how the show LOST will play out.

Glad I could clear that up for you. :thumb:

You're kidding, right?

Wow.

No, it must just be my addled perceptions because I enjoy debating with people. Dane couldn't possibly be seen as condescending by anyone else. :)

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Bringing up my opinion of "Juno" should have no bearing on the "Lost" discussion.

Perhaps a PM answer? I'm honestly curious.

noa
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
No, it must just be my addled perceptions because I enjoy debating with people. Dane couldn't possibly be seen as condescending by anyone else. :)

What part of "I watch this TV show better than any of you guys" could be condescending?

:)

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm only being attacked by people that want to argue. I don't want to argue.It is so apparent that none of you guys really "get" this show.But, when you type condescending remarks like that, some feel the need to defend themselves. Just saying...

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
You're kidding, right?

Wow.

Thanks for including my next sentence in that quote.:rolleyes:

Excuse me. I didn't realize that my comments on "Lost" would hurt so many people's feelings.

When people here don't get the time-travel aspect of this show or totally ignore it then yes, I feel like they're not getting it.

Why is that so wrong to point out? Especially after 84 episodes?

noa
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for including my next sentence in that quote.:rolleyes:

Excuse me. I didn't realize that my comments on "Lost" would hurt so many people's feelings.

When people here don't get the time-travel aspect of this show or totally ignore it then yes, I feel like they're not getting it.

Why is that so wrong to point out? Especially after 84 episodes?

I didn't need to quote the rest because your original post was "It is so apparent that none of you guys really "get" this show.

Out of all the posts in this thread, you're the only one who knows what you're talking about.

I agree that a lot of people are speculating on stuff inconsistent with what we know to be true, but that doesn't mean that nobody gets it.

And, its not that I care about who watches this show more intensely, I also don't happen to agree with your axis mundi theory.
I've read other time travel theories that I find more compelling.

And I think people would be fine with you pointing out parts of the show you want them to get, but just use some tact. Don't call everyone else ignorant than then be surprised when we're offended.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I didn't need to quote the rest because your original post was "Its obvious to me that a lot of you don't get this."

That's the only thing I took issue with.

Its not that I care about who watches this show more intensely, I just don't happen to agree with your axis mundi theory.
I've read other time travel theories that I find more compelling.

And I think people would be fine with you pointing out parts of the show you want them to get, but just use some tact. Don't call everyone else ignorant than then be surprised when we're offended.

I've read other time-travel theories as well, it's just that I didn't think of them :evil:

Again, I apologize for my "choice of words". I really didn't think they'd create such a fervor.

It was just an off-the-cuff remark made late at night.

noa
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I've read other time-travel theories as well, it's just that I didn't think of them :evil:

Again, I apologize for my "choice of words". I really didn't think they'd create such a fervor.

Haha, ok. :thumb:

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

:hmmm:

Whatever.

;) :toast:

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Finally got around to watching, and that was one really good ep.

I've always enjoyed the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle throughout the series, and I thought it was perfect the way they finally brought Jack and Kate together only to have it fall apart.

They need that kind of "girly" soap-opera stuff, because that's the kind of stuff that makes you give a shit about whether the characters live or die. The island's a cool place, but the show would be nothing if Jack, Kate, Locke, Sawyer, Claire and everybody else didn't seem 'real'.

Mr. Plow
05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Just for the record, I don't quite "get" the show the way most of you do. That's why I come in here - to piece it all together.

Some, if not most of you, will see the smallest writing on the wall and then tie it to something in season 1. My memory isn't that good. I see the writing and go "What the hell does that mean?" Then I come in here, see you guys piece it together, then I play it up to my wife like I knew it all along. "Oh honey, you didn't know about the time travel angle of the show? How cute."

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 08:56 AM

Not buying it.

It's not supposed to be realistic, it was RESONANT.

Nobody talks like the characters in Juno, but you kind of feel it'd be kind of cool to talk that way on occasion.

Smart girls don't get knocked up like that, but you kind of feel it'd be cool if people reacted so warmly and empathetically if she did.

It's highly stylized, but still relatable, making it resonant.

Saying Juno isn't realistic is like seeing this

http://thankyouforthis.eraofconsequence.com/public/picasso-guitar.jpg
And responding 'no one sits like that when playing guitar.'

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Nobody talks like the characters in Juno, but you kind of feel it'd be kind of cool to talk that way on occasion.

Smart girls don't get knocked up like that, but you kind of feel it'd be cool if people reacted so warmly and empathetically if she did.

I PM'd him for a response to my simple question:

Do all intelligent people never make a mistake?

He wouldn't answer it. Instead, he said I google something and it would show he and 10 million others have the same feeling.

patteeu
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Just for the record, I don't quite "get" the show the way most of you do. That's why I come in here - to piece it all together.

Some, if not most of you, will see the smallest writing on the wall and then tie it to something in season 1. My memory isn't that good. I see the writing and go "What the hell does that mean?" Then I come in here, see you guys piece it together, then I play it up to my wife like I knew it all along. "Oh honey, you didn't know about the time travel angle of the show? How cute."

LMAO I do the same thing except when I go to my wife with these brilliant insights I've stolen, I say, "It's so apparent that you don't really get this show. If you can focus a little bit, I'll try to explain it in terms you can understand."

:p Sorry Dane, I'm just playing around.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I PM'd him for a response to my simple question:

Do all intelligent people never make a mistake?

He wouldn't answer it. Instead, he said I google something and it would show he and 10 million others have the same feeling.

You're a ****ing jackass.

Thanks for sharing.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Yay! You liked the movie and found it "resonant".

I didn't like the movie and found it to be a waste of time.

Good for you.

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Yay! You liked the movie and found it "resonant".

I didn't like the movie and found it to be a waste of time.

Good for you.

Yay! You're working in H'wood, doing H'wood stuff, and your assessment is so acute you found a little movie that made some $500M and got an oscar a 'waste of time.' Good luck with that. Maybe you can help Jon Peters develop more movies with giant mechanical spiders.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Yay! You're working in H'wood, doing H'wood stuff, and your assessment is so acute you found a little movie that made some $500M and got an oscar a 'waste of time.' Good luck with that. Maybe you can help Jon Peters develop more movies with giant mechanical spiders.

Thanks for insulting me for not liking a movie.

You're so cool. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the movie made $225 million worldwide, not $500 million. So get your facts straight if you're going to insult someone.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Oh, and the movie made $225 million worldwide, not $500 million. So get your facts straight if you're going to insult someone.

Actually, Dane, no one is insulting you for not liking a movie. They are insulting you for your reasoning, demeanor, providing no answers, and overall condescending tone, as evidenced by this part of the LOST thread.

And that's the final thing I'll say in this thread that isn't LOST related.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Actually, Dane, no one is insulting you for not liking a movie. They are insulting you for your reasoning, demeanor, providing no answers, and overall condescending tone, as evidenced by this part of the LOST thread.

And that's the final thing I'll say in this thread that isn't LOST related.

Great, even better.

I'm being insulted for the reason I didn't like the movie and not answering YOUR stupid ****ing question, to which you already know the answer, Asshole.

Additionally, I provided a detailed response via PM as to why I didn't care for the movie, yet you conveniently left that out when announcing to the forum that I didn't answer your question.

You want a condescending response? How about this: I'm really glad you think you're cool because you like this trendy, "hip" arsty little movie. A movie that I found precocious and unbearable but somehow, touched a nerve with a ****ing douchebag who lives in Lawrence, KS.

There's your condescending answer, Prick.

patteeu
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Great, even better.

I'm being insulted for the reason I didn't like the movie and not answering YOUR stupid ****ing question, to which you already know the answer, Asshole.

Additionally, I provided a detailed response via PM as to why I didn't care for the movie, yet you conveniently left that out when announcing to the forum that I didn't answer your question.

You want a condescending response? How about this: I'm really glad you think you're cool because you like this trendy, "hip" arsty little movie. A movie that I found precocious and unbearable but somehow, touched a nerve with a ****ing douchebag who lives in Lawrence, KS.

There's your condescending answer, Prick.

No offense intended, Irish, but it *was* a pointless and insulting question.

greg63
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
I must begin watching this show.

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Dude, you know I'm not one to just pile on. But you're the one who insulted everyone who didn't jizz themselves over your pet theory as not understanding the show, on the same day that you offered up an assinine and out of touch assessment of a rightly enjoyed movie. And you work in H'wood, ostensibly having a hand in what we get to see.

That merits some comment.

In short, is there a possibility, however slight, that you just didn't understand Juno, or that people who DO understand Lost might STILL have valid reason to disagree with your theory?

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
No offense intended, Irish, but it *was* a pointless and insulting question.

How so?

He said that was why the movie was unrealistic. I asked a simple question based on his premise and he refused to give an answer. Obviously, the film couldn't be unrealistic if it is realistic to think intelligent people make mistakes.

No one was knocking him because he disliked the film. They knocked him because he said it was unrealistic and the reason he gave for it. I don't see how the question was pointless. And it certainly wasn't insulting.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Dude, you know I'm not one to just pile on. But you're the one who insulted everyone who didn't jizz themselves over your pet theory as not understanding the show, on the same day that you offered up an assinine and out of touch assessment of a rightly enjoyed movie. And you work in H'wood, ostensibly having a hand in what we get to see.

:clap:

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 07:04 PM
How so?

He said that was why the movie was unrealistic. I asked a simple question based on his premise and he refused to give an answer. Obviously, the film couldn't be unrealistic if it is realistic to think intelligent people make mistakes.

No one was knocking him because he disliked the film. They knocked him because he said it was unrealistic and the reason he gave for it. I don't see how the question was pointless. And it certainly wasn't insulting.

I think people are reading your question as asking Dane [the intelligent person] if it's possible for him to make a mistake. It's a little ambiguous.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I think people are reading your question as asking Dane [the intelligent person] if it's possible for him to make a mistake. It's a little ambiguous.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. I definitely intended it to be anyone in general. Because that was his premise (Juno was unrealistic because an intelligent girl would have used birth control)....

KcMizzou
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
C'mon... Nobody really gets "Lost". That's part of the charm (and frustration).

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
No offense but have you been WATCHING the show? At all?

Three words for you: Time travel.

I'll give you the answer right now:

The island is an Axis Mundi.

It's a portal that exists between Earth and "Heaven". Time has no meaning there. People can't get pregnant and create "new life" there. It's a gateway. And there's two opposing forces trying to control it: Ben's organization and Widmore's organization.

So there you go.

As to the merits

I took the purgatory Q to the one and only Damon Lindelof (who is still da bomb in my book, in case you were wondering), and he shot back the following:

The following two facts are true. I swear it.
A. They're not in purgatory.
B. They're not dead.
If we did such a thing after repeatedly stating otherwise, we'd be tarred and feathered!

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. I definitely intended it to be anyone in general. Because that was his premise (Juno was unrealistic because an intelligent girl would have used birth control)....Intelligent people make mistakes, too...

As for Juno, that was maybe my favorite movie last year, as odd as that probably sounds coming from me.

KcMizzou
05-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Intelligent people make mistakes, too...

As for Juno, that was maybe my favorite movie last year, as odd as that probably sounds coming from me.Don't feel bad. I watched it twice in back to back nights.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Intelligent people make mistakes, too...

As for Juno, that was maybe my favorite movie last year, as odd as that probably sounds coming from me.

That was my point. Therefore, it really isn't unrealistic in the sense that Dane wanted to be or thought it was.

And yeah, it was my movie of the year shortly before Ebert declared it his.

As to the merits

Thanks for the concrete interview. I thought they had ruled it out already.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
An Axis Mundi and 'purgatory' are mutually-exclusive concepts.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM

In short, is there a possibility, however slight, that you just didn't understand Juno, or that people who DO understand Lost might STILL have valid reason to disagree with your theory?

As far as "Juno" is concerned, I never said it sucked, I never said it was a bad movie nor did I disparage anyone who enjoyed it.

All I said is that the movie seemed unrealistic to ME and that it didn't work for ME. Oh, and I "got it", I just didn't like it or buy it.

Furthermore, I sent a very detailed PM to IrishPeckerHead explaining exactly why I didn't like this movie. But that wasn't good enough. Irish PeckerHead continued to lob his softball question at me, time and time again, to bait me into answering so that he could say "Aha!".

Sorry, I don't play that game.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
An Axis Mundi and 'purgatory' are mutually-exclusive concepts.

Yeah but doesn't being dead negate Axis Mundi?

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah but doesn't being dead negate Axis Mundi?I don't think being dead is a requisite with regards to the concept of an Axis Mundi, but I'm not exactly an authority.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
As far as "Juno" is concerned, I never said it sucked, I never said it was a bad movie nor did I disparage anyone who enjoyed it.

All I said is that the movie seemed unrealistic to ME and that it didn't work for ME. Oh, and I "got it", I just didn't like it.

Furthermore, I sent a very detailed PM to IrishPeckerHead explaining exactly why I didn't like this movie. But that wasn't good enough. Irish PeckerHead continued to lob his softball question at me, time and time again to bait me into answering so that he could say "Aha!".

Sorry, I don't play that game.

Actually, you sent me the exact same things you posted in the thread. That's why I kept asking my simple question. But I digress.

As for your second reply, all I can say is thanks for the apology, even if it is really more of an excuse. I'm done. :)

Back to LOST.

I just don't see how they could pull anything like a portal between heaven and earth or heaven and hell because it's been guessed and they seem to categorically dismiss it. None of them are dead, it says. I'm pretty sure that to be in limbo/purgatory/Axis Mundi one has to be dead.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I think you're going a little out of context with axis mundi. It can be a secular concept rather than a religious one, so 'heaven and hell' doesn't have to come into it. Don't think of it like limbo or purgatory.

If you can forgive the blatant use of wikipedia:The axis mundi (also cosmic axis, world axis, world pillar and center of the world) is a ubiquitous symbol that crosses human cultures. The image expresses a point of connection between sky and earth where the four compass directions meet. At this point travel and correspondence is made between higher and lower realms. Communication from lower realms may ascend to higher ones and blessings from higher realms may descend to lower ones and be disseminated to all. The spot functions as the omphalos (navel), the world's point of beginning.The island may not be (and probably is not) an axis mundi, but it's an interesting idea to contemplate.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't think being dead is a requisite with regards to the concept of an Axis Mundi, but I'm not exactly an authority.

It appears you are correct. However, I'm not sure what an Axis Mundi has anything to do with the rest of Dane's theory. As far as I can tell, an Axis Mundi doesn't have to be fought for control of, so it seems like a force fit to declare the island an Axis Mundi at this point in time.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I think you're going a little out of context with axis mundi. It can be a secular concept rather than a religious one, so 'heaven and hell' doesn't have to come into it. Don't think of it like limbo or purgatory.

If you can forgive the blatant use of wikipedia:The island may not be (and probably is not) an axis mundi, but it's an interesting idea to contemplate.

Jinx. 1 2 3...10. You owe me a coke.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I just hope whatever they finally do decide to say it is (if they ever do...) that it's something that isn't a complete let-down.

I'll say this much, I never, ever envisioned a television program this "deep" making the airwaves on a major network.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I just hope whatever they finally do decide to say it is (if they ever do...) that it's something that isn't a complete let-down.

I'll say this much, I never, ever envisioned a television program this "deep" making the airwaves on a major network.

Yep. And thus far, my only real complaint was the travesty that was Season 3 (with the exception of the ending like 4 episodes).

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 08:20 PM

If you can forgive the blatant use of wikipedia:The island may not be (and probably is not) an axis mundi, but it's an interesting idea to contemplate.

My interpretation (and theory) of the island is that indeed, it is an Axis Mundi, a place that connects Earth with the Heavens (not Heaven and Hell). That's also the reason why men and women haven't been able to conceive - it's in between Earth and the Heavens, thus there would be no reason for conception. Ben is the only person living who knows how to safely travel back and forth from the island (though Faraday was hired by Widmore to find the island and for his team to kill Ben). The time travel aspect comes into play because the Axis Mundi isn't on this world; it's another plane of existence.

It's not "Purgatory", a place where souls who aren't ready for Heaven or evil enough for Hell to reside. If so, there would be millions (if not tens of millions) of people on the island. It's also not an island in the South Pacific that's uncharted.

This is my "theory" and I brought it forward from February as a reminder because I've been told there will be some major reveals in the next three episodes. So either I'll be right or wrong but it will be out there for everyone to see.

Adept Havelock
05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I must begin watching this show.

I'd advise renting the DVD sets over the break between seasons. It's got a deep "mythology".

Considering the multiple themes reflecting dualism, I've been wondering if the Island is a variation on Schrodinger's Box. Then again, it could be projection as I'm such a fan of the thought experiment.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'd advise renting the DVD sets over the break between seasons. It's got a deep "mythology".

Considering the multiple themes reflecting dualism, I've been wondering if the Island is a variation on Schrodinger's Box. Then again, it could be projection as I'm such a fan of the thought experiment.

This would be interesting given JJ's TED talk about literally a Mystery BOX...

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
This is my "theory" and I brought it forward from February as a reminder because I've been told there will be some major reveals in the next three episodes. So either I'll be right or wrong but it will be out there for everyone to see.The theory makes some sense. It fits what we've seen of the island to date.

Adept Havelock
05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
This would be interesting given JJ's TED talk about literally a Mystery BOX...

If true (and that's a big if)...would that make Orchid Station "Schrodinger's Cat Door"? :p

irishjayhawk
05-08-2008, 10:11 PM
A complete set up episode but I loved it. This was the backstory of Locke that I needed. He is a scientist at heart. Which is interesting. And then the whole orderly....

The time travel was explained but in reverse this time. This time it came to the island BEFORE, whereas Faraday's experiment came in LATE.

Third Eye
05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
So anybody know who the picture above the Geronimo Jackson poster in Locke's locker was?

Adept Havelock
05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I expected to see Richard Alpert pop up, but Abbadon as the orderly caught me by surprise.

I was really hoping Frank was going to bail out of the chopper and take his chance with a water landing. Keamey needs to die. Then again, it'll be more fun to watch Ben take care of it.

"We need to move the island". Physically, or Temporally? Then again, what's the difference? As Poe put it all the way back in 1848 "Space and duration are one"...beating Minkowski by about 60 years.

The "Man of Faith" is a Man of Science who rejected that path?

He chose the knife instead of the Book of Laws. Dharma involves duty or obligations to the order (laws) of the cosmos. There's a little fodder for free association. Have to let that percolate for a while. :hmmm:

So anybody know who the picture above the Geronimo Jackson poster in Locke's locker was?

Missed it. I'll have to check for screencaps later tonight on darkufo.

BigRedChief
05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
The time travel was explained but in reverse this time. This time it came to the island BEFORE, whereas Faraday's experiment came in LATE.
It was explained? How? I watched the show. What did I miss? Was this some easter eggg, screen shot, poster in a locker thing?

Fruit Ninja
05-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Son of a bitch, i forgot about it today. Off to download.

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I expected to see Richard Alpert pop up, but Abbadon as the orderly caught me by surprise.

I was really hoping Frank was going to bail out of the chopper and take his chance with a water landing. Keamey needs to die. Then again, it'll be more fun to watch Ben take care of it.

"We need to move the island". Physically, or Temporally? Then again, what's the difference? As Poe put it all the way back in 1848 "Space and duration are one"...beating Minkowski by about 60 years.

The "Man of Faith" is a Man of Science who rejected that path?

He chose the knife instead of the Book of Laws. Dharma involves duty or obligations to the order (laws) of the cosmos. There's a little fodder for free association. Have to let that percolate for a while. :hmmm:

Missed it. I'll have to check for screencaps later tonight on darkufo.

Those are what I wanted/interested me.

It was explained? How? I watched the show. What did I miss? Was this some easter eggg, screen shot, poster in a locker thing?

Sorry, explained more about it. It offered new details. It didn't explain it as in "why". Poor word choice.

Guru
05-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Son of a bitch, i forgot about it today. Off to download.

Slacker

Guru
05-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Those are what I wanted/interested me.

Sorry, explained more about it. It offered new details. It didn't explain it as in "why". Poor word choice.

Found the comic book cover extremely interesting.

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Found the comic book cover extremely interesting.

As did I. Good thing I wasn't the only one to notice it.

Also, (specifically to Adept) I think this episode proves that we'll see further into the future than last season's finale. Otherwise, why get the 6 off now?

keg in kc
05-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Interesting ep.

Ari Chi3fs
05-09-2008, 01:16 AM
It is so apparent that none of you guys get this show.

Obviously, duh. Said comes to teh island, and gets teh other 5. And was going to come back to get more, but when he gets there... teh island will be moved. Where teh **** did it teh go?

You guys SUCK at watching tv. Seriously.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 01:36 AM
I think John lied when he chose the knife. Just like when he denied himself the chance to be a scientist, he denied his instincts and chose an object that signified who he wanted to be, not his true identity. Though in high school, he was obviously a "Knight".

I don't think Keemy is "mad" with island fever. I think he's a killer, plain and simple. Now that the island knows what's going to happen, its instructed John to make sure it's not destroyed.

Apparently, John's been to the island before, possibly in a different life as a member of the Black Rock. It's also possible that through my theory of time travel/different plane of existence, John is also Jacob.

Guru
05-09-2008, 01:58 AM
I think John lied when he chose the knife. Just like when he denied himself the chance to be a scientist, he denied his instincts and chose an object that signified who he wanted to be, not his true identity. Though in high school, he was obviously a "Knight".

I don't think Keemy is "mad" with island fever. I think he's a killer, plain and simple. Now that the island knows what's going to happen, its instructed John to make sure it's not destroyed.

Apparently, John's been to the island before, possibly in a different life as a member of the Black Rock. It's also possible that through my theory of time travel/different plane of existence, John is also Jacob.

I have wondered about John being Jacob on some level.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 02:04 AM
I also think that Jack not being able to find the island again is a product of John "moving" it.

Guru
05-09-2008, 02:11 AM
I can only imagine how many times the island has been moved considering the lengthy history they have attached to it going all the way back to the Black Rock.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 02:13 AM
I can only imagine how many times the island has been moved considering the lengthy history they have attached to it going all the way back to the Black Rock.

Which is probably another reason why Widmore can't find the island - he's always looking in the wrong place.

Guru
05-09-2008, 02:19 AM
The next two weeks are going to be fun. Glad the pace finally picked up beginning with ep 1 this season. Much improved over last season.

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 02:23 AM

I was pretty sure about that too.

I do like the theory of John being Jacob. It makes a lot of sense.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Whoa.

What if Lapidus dropped the transmitter on the Beachies because somehow he knew that the island was going to be moved?

Maybe Desmond informed him?

Or Michael (through Ben)?

Guru
05-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Did a google search that was mentioned on a easter egg site for lost "cowin knights" and got this hit. It eventually refers to a Dr. Gowin Knight and the article involves magnetism.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Is0nAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA378&lpg=PA378&dq=cowin+knights&source=web&ots=PqabAlMZ88&sig=q4lFD-jk-7MvbEZVGMgtNWUD3vk&hl=en

May be nothing but it was an interesting find nonetheless.

Fruit Ninja
05-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Slow ass download, i dont know if i am going to make it, may have to watch it tomorrow :(. The one day i feel tired. :(

DAMN YOU XBOX for RED RINGING!!!!!!

Guru
05-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Slow ass download, i dont know if i am going to make it, may have to watch it tomorrow :(. The one day i feel tired. :(

DAMN YOU XBOX for RED RINGING!!!!!!

YOu can DL it on Live tomorrow. Errrr wait. :evil:o:-)

Fruit Ninja
05-09-2008, 04:10 AM
YOu can DL it on Live tomorrow. Errrr wait. :evil:o:-)

:( so mean. I went out and bought APF2k8 for the ps3 though. I dont have many games for it. Seriously thought about g3etting GTAIV, but i couldnt spend another 60 on the game i already have. At least i should get one back with the new heatsink.

Guru
05-09-2008, 04:54 AM
:( so mean. I went out and bought APF2k8 for the ps3 though. I dont have many games for it. Seriously thought about g3etting GTAIV, but i couldnt spend another 60 on the game i already have. At least i should get one back with the new heatsink.

I would certainly hope so. You could always purchase that LOST game though.

cadmonkey
05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Whoa.

What if Lapidus dropped the transmitter on the Beachies because somehow he knew that the island was going to be moved?

or its his way of let them have the advantage of knowing when the soldiers are moving in on them.

Baby Lee
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Anyone get a 'Sally' vibe from Claire in the cabin? Creepy, considering her present company.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020131/114624__harry_l.jpg

Chiefnj2
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
We need another writers strike so that they condense the episodes a little more and drop all the filler crap.

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Whoa.

I figured they were leading them to Jacob's cabin. It's the place, I think, that Ben would go (in the Secondary Protocol).

Frazod
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Anyone get a 'Sally' vibe from Claire in the cabin? Creepy, considering her present company.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020131/114624__harry_l.jpg

Yeah, I did. :D

But I think it's just because they're both dead and have no worries.

Adept Havelock
05-09-2008, 10:33 AM

I just re-watched the "test" scene. I'm inclined to agree with you. There was something more to that vibe than just hesitation on second viewing.

John as Jacob? I hadn't considered that. I'll have to let that rattle around in my noggin for a bit. Interesting notion.

or its his way of let them have the advantage of knowing when the soldiers are moving in on them.

That was my thinking, but Jack blew the call. "I think we're supposed to follow them". :doh!:

:eek: :Lin:

I would certainly hope so. You could always purchase that LOST game though.

Has anyone played through LOST:Via Domus? Is it worth picking up? I imagine it's got very little replay value.

Dartgod
05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
hough in high school, he was obviously a "Knight".
What does that mean?

Baby Lee
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
After Emily got run down in the downpour, that tears it...

Anyone know if there is a single database of every plot development that occurs in the middle of a sudden unexpected downpour on this show. I have a hunch that fate travels by water.

Ana Lucia shooting Shannon
The Locke/Jack split and concurrent landing of Faraday/Charlotte
Harper appearing to Juliet
Christian and Ana Lucia tracking down Claire in AU

Those are some that pop to mind

cadmonkey
05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
After Emily got run down in the downpour, that tears it...

Anyone know if there is a single database of every plot development that occurs in the middle of a sudden unexpected downpour on this show. I have a hunch that fate travels by water.

Ana Lucia shooting Shannon
Harper appearing to Juliet
Christian and Ana Lucia tracking down Claire in AU

Those are some that pop to mind

I've always noticed that when its pouring, bad things happen.

Also, I was thinking of the possiblity of John and Ben being brothers in some way. I brought it up on Patriotsplanet and this is what someone found out:

From IMDB:

John Locke was born to Emily Annabeth Locke and Anthony Cooper on May 30, 1956. His mother was 15 years old when she gave birth. This may have contributed to his being abandoned by his parents at a very young age and consequently brought up in several foster homes. He has (or had) a brother and a sister. His sister, Jeannie, died at a young age, from a broken neck received falling from some monkey bars. Her mother blamed herself for not looking after her. After her death, a Golden Retriever showed up and took up residence in Jeannie's bedroom. Locke's foster mother believed that the dog contained the spirit of Jeannie returning to tell her that the accident was not her fault. The dog vanished shortly after Locke's foster mother's death 5 years later. It was never to be seen again.("Outlaws")

Also from IMDB:

On the day of his birthday, Ben recalls important parts of his life: when he was born, his mother Emily, pregnant of seven months, was hiking with his father, Roger, dying after the delivery in the woods nearby Portland, Oregon.

Also, Horace and his GF were the ones who stopped and helped Roger and Emily after she delivered prematurely.

Baby Lee
05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh and in case you guys hadn't heard, they've added an episode to each of the last two seasons, to make up for the rest of the shortfall from the strike. So instead of 16-16-16, we get 14-17-17.

Chiefnj2
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
The guy at EW has a theory that Locke was the island's first choice and Ben the second choice. Locke failed the Alpert test when he was 5 which was the year Ben was born. They made a second run at Locke with the science summer camp which was around the time that Ben then went to the Island with his dad.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 01:01 PM
What does that mean?

Locke's high school mascot were the "Knights".

While Locke's teacher was advising him to become a great scientist, Locke was more concerned with boxing, hunting and fishing. He knew his destiny lie as a defender (i.e. Knight) and not as a scientist.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Also from IMDB:

On the day of his birthday, Ben recalls important parts of his life: when he was born, his mother Emily, pregnant of seven months, was hiking with his father, Roger, dying after the delivery in the woods nearby Portland, Oregon.

Also, Horace and his GF were the ones who stopped and helped Roger and Emily after she delivered prematurely.

The only problem with this theory is that Locke's mother (needing money) showed up and reunited John with his father.

CosmicPal
05-09-2008, 01:06 PM
What the hell did Locke mean by saying "We have to move the island"?

I figured the island would take care of the intruders itself. Why the need to move it?

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
What the hell did Locke mean by saying "We have to move the island"?

I figured the island would take care of the intruders itself. Why the need to move it?

As I've stated before, I think it's on a different "plane" of existence so theoretically, it can be moved.

cadmonkey
05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
The only problem with this theory is that Locke's mother (needing money) showed up and reunited John with his father.

the two would have nothing to do with eachother.

John's mother and Ben's mother are the same person, having children with two different men. He would never have to be reunited with anyone. plus, the "mother" that John knows is only a foster mother.

Molitoth
05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Richard never ages.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
the two would have nothing to do with eachother.

John's mother and Ben's mother are the same person, having children with two different men. He would never have to be reunited with anyone. plus, the "mother" that John knows is only a foster mother.

Hmmm. I'm not buying that at this point.

The producers went out of their way (IMO) to show the 15 year-old Emily being younger version of the mother (Swoosie Kurtz) who showed up in Season One as John's mother (the very red lipstick was a dead giveaway, as were the mannerisms). And John's foster mother in this episode had none of the same mannerisms of Swoosie Kurtz portrayal.

Additionally, how would John's foster parents come in contact with his "real" father anyway?

Furthermore, she's listed as Emily Annabeth Locke for Season One of Lost according to IMDB.

keg in kc
05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
What didn't make sense to me is why moving the island would save them when the helicopter was already on it.

Third Eye
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Richard never ages.

Welcome to season 3.

Third Eye
05-09-2008, 05:31 PM
What didn't make sense to me is why moving the island would save them when the helicopter was already on it.

It might not save them, but it might save the island.

greg63
05-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome to season 3.

How far into the season are we?

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Technically, the chopper wasn't on it yet. But I don't know how fast the island can be moved, so you may have a point.

irishjayhawk
05-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Hmmm. I'm not buying that at this point.

The producers went out of their way (IMO) to show the 15 year-old Emily being younger version of the mother (Swoosie Kurtz) who showed up in Season One as John's mother (the very red lipstick was a dead giveaway, as were the mannerisms). And John's foster mother in this episode had none of the same mannerisms of Swoosie Kurtz portrayal.

Additionally, how would John's foster parents come in contact with his "real" father anyway?

Furthermore, she's listed as Emily Annabeth Locke for Season One of Lost according to IMDB.

What episode was it when it was discovered Locke and Ben have the same father? I'm pretty sure I missed that....

Adept Havelock
05-09-2008, 10:15 PM
How far into the season are we?

There's a 3 part finale. Part 1 next week and 2-3 will be back to back the following week to end Season 4.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Per darkufo: Richard Francis Burton.

Sir Richard Francis Burton KCMG FRGS (March 19, 1821 – October 20, 1890) was an English explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia and Africa as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian, and African languages.

He is also the first non-muslim European to have made the hajj.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0780/rb.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0780/rb.jpg)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

Fascinating chap. I'm intrigued a high school kid would have his picture in his locker.

Also, the cover of the Secondary Protocol pretty much confirms the link between Widmore and DHARMA. However, the symbol on the cover matches the symbol for the as-yet unseen "Orchid". The center spiral also reminds me a great deal of the old TV show "The Time Tunnel".

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0780/protocol.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0780/protocol.jpg)

There was also an interesting interview with Lindenhoff and Cuse linked at darkufo.

Among the findings in this interview:

* The question is not whether Claire is dead but “What happened to Claire?”
* Christian Shepard is dead.
* Time travel is definitely happening on this show.
* Sounds to me like Richard Alpert is doing it. (Remind me later of a theory I have relating to time travel and the knocking up of Losties' moms!)
* They were surprised by today's "announcement" of two extra episodes in season five and six.
* They know whom Kate will end up with in the very end.

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2008/05/is-claire-dead-are-they-really-time.html

Third Eye
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Per darkufo: Richard Francis Burton.

Sir Richard Francis Burton KCMG FRGS (March 19, 1821 October 20, 1890) was an English explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia and Africa as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian, and African languages.

He is also the first non-muslim European to have made the hajj.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0780/rb.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0780/rb.jpg)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

Fascinating chap. I'm intrigued a high school kid would have his picture in his locker.

Also, the cover of the Secondary Protocol pretty much confirms the link between Widmore and DHARMA. However, the symbol on the cover matches the symbol for the as-yet unseen "Orchid". The center spiral also reminds me a great deal of the old TV show "The Time Tunnel".

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0780/protocol.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0780/protocol.jpg)

Good stuff. Yes, that is an interesting choice for a high schooler. I caught the Dharma symbol, but I didn't realize it was the Orchid.

Buck
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I have an intriguing question.

If Sayid left on the little boat hours before the doctor on the freighter was killed, then shouldn't Sayid have already been on the island at the time of the discovery of the dead doctor?

Also, something to think about.

At the time Daniel Faraday sent that Morse Code message on the island, the other freighter people (Keamy, etc.) were on the island as well, but they didn't get the message until they were back on the ship.

Bill Parcells
05-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I have an intriguing question.

If Sayid left on the little boat hours before the doctor on the freighter was killed, then shouldn't Sayid have already been on the island at the time of the discovery of the dead doctor?

How many times are you gonna change your name?