PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Official "Lost" the series discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I was under the impression that the people left behind that were really on the Ajira flight, were the ones that were killed.

Whitmore's people killed them and waited for someone from Smoke Monster's clan to come over to that island. Am I wrong on that?

That's what I thought. Some people think Locke/Smokey killed them all, but I don't agree with that.

tymania
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I was under the impression that the people left behind that were really on the Ajira flight, were the ones that were killed.

Whitmore's people killed them and waited for someone from Smoke Monster's clan to come over to that island. Am I wrong on that?

ya know i really dont know.. and i dont know if they made that clear or not.. you definitely could be right though

Dartgod
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM

That was my impression too. They were all too "clean and shiny" to have been on that island for more than a few days.

BigRedChief
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
That's what I thought. Some people think Locke/Smokey killed them all, but I don't agree with that.And another question...Why didn't Locke become Smokey and just go over there himself and see whats on the island?

BigRedChief
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Whitmore's people killed them and waited for someone from Smoke Monster's clan to come over to that island. Am I wrong on that?I think that right. all the peopel with guns are Whitmore's people. The planes people are dead. I don't think Smokey killed them either.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
And another question...Why didn't Locke become Smokey and just go over there himself and see whats on the island?

Because he had an inkling they had those electric fence thingamajigs with them?

BigRedChief
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Because he had an inkling they had those electric fence thingamajigs with them?So, he could see them before he encountered one. they are not hidden.

tymania
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Because he had an inkling they had those electric fence thingamajigs with them?

maybe the fence thing will kill him? or he knows that whitmore knows how to kill him!? and doesnt want to walk into a trap?

Third Eye
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
maybe the fence thing will kill him? or he knows that whitmore knows how to kill him!? and doesnt want to walk into a trap?

Or possibly he knew exactly what was going on over there and was just testing Sawyer's loyalties.

tymania
03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Or possibly he knew exactly what was going on over there and was just testing Sawyer's loyalties.

good point!:thumb:

Baby Lee
03-17-2010, 03:33 PM

Or he just wanted a chance for Claire to attack Kate, him to 'rescue her' and then get some alone time with Kate to 'make his case.'

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 07:11 AM

I think that's it right there.

He needed to know that Sawyer was going to be a man of his word and help him (smokey).

But here's the weird thing about that. Both Whitmore and MIB KNEW that Sawyer is a lier, and was probably going to be a double agent for smokey (at least in his mind, cause I don't think Sawyer knew that Whitmore knew he was full of sh*t. )

You could see it in Whitmore's eyes when they shook hands.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
I think that's it right there.

He needed to know that Sawyer was going to be a man of his word and help him (smokey).

But here's the weird thing about that. Both Whitmore and MIB KNEW that Sawyer is a lier, and was probably going to be a double agent for smokey (at least in his mind, cause I don't think Sawyer knew that Whitmore knew he was full of sh*t. )

You could see it in Whitmore's eyes when they shook hands.

I'm still irked by the fact that Ben was aligned with Jacob and Ben was fighting against Widmore (similar to MIB v. Smokey with certain unknown "rules"). Why is Widmore suddenly against Locke/Smokey? A three way battle for power?

tymania
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Why was Widmore after Ben in the first place? Because he kicked him off the island right? Then Ben went after Widmore because he blamed Alex’s Death on him. So whatever came of all that? Did they make peace? Or Ben got occupied with trying to get back to the island and just left it alone?

Chiefless
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm still irked by the fact that Ben was aligned with Jacob and Ben was fighting against Widmore (similar to MIB v. Smokey with certain unknown "rules"). Why is Widmore suddenly against Locke/Smokey? A three way battle for power?

This is kind of what I think. If MIB and Jacob represent Yin and Yang needing to be in perfect balance and harmony, then perhaps Whitmore represents chaos or nothingness??? I'm thinking MIB and Jacob (or their successors) will join forces to destroy Whitmore, thereby returning the island to balance.

cookster50
03-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Is it news/ a reveal that Widmore is against the MIB? I always thought that Widmore was against Ben, and Ben was aligned with Jacob, thus Widmore was an ally with MIB.

Who says Widmore is against MIB? Just because he accepted Sawyers plan doesn't mean anything, not with lost.

Wrasse
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Who says Widmore is against MIB? Just because he accepted Sawyers plan doesn't mean anything, not with lost.
I casually watch the show (so I'm not as insightful as some of you) but do spend some time reading this thread since it happens to be where I get most of my Chiefs news...anyhooo...

I have this feeling Widmore is trying to strike a deal with FLock. He's a guy with a lot of money who is staring his own mortality in the face. He's trying to buy his way into being the protector/candidate to take over for FLock and ready to provide the guy with transportation off of the island *if* he can fill that role of the protector of the island (and get the added benefits of immortality, smokey-form-ho!, etc.). Again, I see more Myst (old PC game) tie ins. I'm also under the impression that BOTH Jacob and FLock are not necessarily 'good'. They just want out of this world in which they have been trapped (reason? ...hope we find out next week) and are willing to screw with as many lives as they can in order to get what they want. It's all a game to them in order to get the hell out of this prison in which they are trapped. I also think both can assume a smokey form...maybe...I dunno...island keeper/enslavee perk? Personally, Jacob seems like more of the douche out of the two. He really has screwed up some people's lives in this whole 'process'.

Chiefnj2
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Interesting to learn Richard's backstory, but it was a bit withdrawn and we didn't learn much. Jacob brings people to the Island, MIB wants out, and they have been competing against each other for hundreds of years.

In a past episode when we first saw MIB and Jacob wasn't the Black Rock sailing in calm water off the island during the day? In today's episode it is "drawn" to the island in the middle of the night in a huge storm.

KingPriest2
03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Interesting to learn Richard's backstory, but it was a bit withdrawn and we didn't learn much. Jacob brings people to the Island, MIB wants out, and they have been competing against each other for hundreds of years.

In a past episode when we first saw MIB and Jacob wasn't the Black Rock sailing in calm water off the island during the day? In today's episode it is "drawn" to the island in the middle of the night in a huge storm.

It was assumed it was the Back Rock Did you notice it was the Black Rock that knocked the statue down?

Silock
03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS FUCKING SHOW.

Guru
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
ONly thing I can figure is that Jacob pulled in the Black Rock the night of that conversation with MIB.

DaneMcCloud
03-24-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm bummed.

After the first few episodes, everyone that watched it said that the survivors were in "Purgatory". The producers, Abrams, etc. quickly denied that.

Now, after nearly 6 full seasons, we're learning that while it may not be called purgatory, that seems to be where they're leading us.

The "MIB" is Satan and he's not to be allowed to leave the "island".

They're implying to date, that the island is purgatory and that if he's allowed to leave, he'll destroy mankind.

I was really hoping for something much more.

Guru
03-24-2010, 04:27 AM
cork

Rausch
03-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Didn't learn too much tonight. Next week looks great.

This one let me down.

I figured the guy to have some kind of awesome history and it just didn't happen.

For a full-episode reveal I expected better...

Rausch
03-24-2010, 05:18 AM
cork

Yeah, we get it.

It's a mini-battleground between heaven and hell.

Whatever side loses allows the other to rule.

It's the timeless argument between good and evil; "given free will what are people most likely to do?"

cookster50
03-24-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm bummed.

After the first few episodes, everyone that watched it said that the survivors were in "Purgatory". The producers, Abrams, etc. quickly denied that.

Now, after nearly 6 full seasons, we're learning that while it may not be called purgatory, that seems to be where they're leading us.

The "MIB" is Satan and he's not to be allowed to leave the "island".

They're implying to date, that the island is purgatory and that if he's allowed to leave, he'll destroy mankind.

I was really hoping for something much more.

They also said that it wasn't time travel, which has been proven false. I'd take everything they've ever said and throw it out.

tymania
03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree that last nights episode didn’t have a ton of new information or ‘answers’, everything they said has been kind of theorized on this board. However it did fill in some gaps of uncertainity, We got a better feel for MIB and Jacob’s relationship. Found out what era Richard is from, I believe the date they gave was 1867?! So he is approximately 160 years old. We found out what did happen to the statue.(so at one time Sawyer and everyone that didn’t leave the island, did time travel to a time period before 1867.)
I really like the idea of the island being the ‘fighting grounds’ between hell and earth. The only thing I didn’t understand is why does the MIB have to have some else kill Jacob for him? Why didn’t he just kill him himself way back when?
I also really like the theme of doing things at your own will, no one can force you to do something; it is all on your shoulders.

BigRedChief
03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
I still got questions about how the #'s tie in? What about Walt? I thought he was intergral to the plot? Why was there a need for candidates to replace Jacob? Whats the deal with the stone that Jacob gave MIB?

Chiefnj2
03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
After sleeping on it, last nights episode was really lame. The whole Richard story was a bad Harelequin romance. As Dane said, if the whole thing between MIB/Jacob is just a battle between a good angel and bad angel then the whole show is big let down.

The ship being tossed into the middle of the jungle by a wave is just plain dumb as well.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2010, 08:14 AM
While I don't think it provided some of the answers I was looking for and I don't think it was all it was cracked up to be, I enjoyed the episode.

Fish
03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
If the island is hell.... then why was there a giant statue of an Egyptian deity built on the shore?

tymania
03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
After sleeping on it, last nights episode was really lame. The whole Richard story was a bad Harelequin romance. As Dane said, if the whole thing between MIB/Jacob is just a battle between a good angel and bad angel then the whole show is big let down.

The ship being tossed into the middle of the jungle by a wave is just plain dumb as well.

Come on now.. we still have a lot of hours of LOST left.. A LOT can be accomplished in that time. I am sure the series will not be a let down once it is all said and done. I have a feeling something very unexpected will happen before this season is over and it will be a huge deal in how the show turns out.

Chiefnj2
03-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Come on now.. we still have a lot of hours of LOST left.. A LOT can be accomplished in that time. I am sure the series will not be a let down once it is all said and done. I have a feeling something very unexpected will happen before this season is over and it will be a huge deal in how the show turns out.

I'm just saying that for a big reveal episode - it was lame. The whole Richard story has been done a million times - he loves his wife, they have a moment, he accidentally kills the wealthy mean guy, he's too late to save her. A wave throwing the boat into the middle of the island is silly. It was also stupid to have the officer immediately kill all of the prisoners because "we don't have fresh water". You are on a tropical, lush, rain forest island. Here's a clue -maybe it will rain. There can be a stream somewhere. It's not the middle of Iraq.

tymania
03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm just saying that for a big reveal episode - it was lame. The whole Richard story has been done a million times - he loves his wife, they have a moment, he accidentally kills the wealthy mean guy, he's too late to save her. A wave throwing the boat into the middle of the island is silly. It was also stupid to have the officer immediately kill all of the prisoners because "we don't have fresh water". You are on a tropical, lush, rain forest island. Here's a clue -maybe it will rain. There can be a stream somewhere. It's not the middle of Iraq.

ROFL i agree with you about this last episode... it was a little lame. The whole wave thing is feasible.. now a wooden ship taking out the statue thats another story..

Baby Lee
03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Re: the necklace "give it to the Dr.' Anyone think Guyliner will someday hand it over to John Shepard?

tymania
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Re: the necklace "give it to the Dr.' Anyone think Guyliner will someday hand it over to John Shepard?

Nice thought.. very well could be! BUT why would John Shepard want it?

Red Brooklyn
03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I still got questions about how the #'s tie in?
A fairly expansive "answer" to the numbers has been given via the first online hiatus game: The LOST Experience. I'm not sure how much more we're going to get in-show. But if you want to know more about what was revealed off-show, you can go to lostpedia and get more info.
What about Walt? I thought he was intergral to the plot?
I think fans made a much bigger deal out of Walt than the writers intended. The Others did voluntarily let him go after all. He was special. He had abilities much like Hurley and Miles. But I don't know that he was ever "intergral" to the endgame of the show. I hope I'm wrong. He's one of my favorite characters.
Why was there a need for candidates to replace Jacob??
After last night's episode, it seems the candidacy program is something of an insurance policy. I think Jacob began looking for candidates after MIB tried to kill him. He needs someone to take his place in the event of his death. I'm guessing that Jacob didn't start calling candidates to the island until after the events of last night's story.
Whats the deal with the stone that Jacob gave MIB?
Jacob and MIB have a "running joke" about the balance betweeen light and dark. We've seen the stones come up a lot in reference to this balance. We saw the black and white stones on a scale in the cave where MIB talks to Sawyer. It also parallels backgammon and Locke's early speech about one side being light, the other dark. Finally, Jack retrieved black and white stones from the Adam & Eve skeletons in S1. This is an old game. I think Jacob giving the white stone to MIB was a way of letting him know that he was winning. He won Richard. Or perhaps as a reminder that MIB has "light" in him as well as "darkness."

That's my take on all of your questions.:D

Red Brooklyn
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I disagree somewhat with the idea that this episode was lame. We got a lot of answers to smaller mysteries. Maybe the answers weren't what we expected, maybe some didn't like the answers, but they were given. There's been six years of speculation on a lot of this stuff. So, of course, some of the answers aren't going to be a surprise. I think that's okay.

And I think the Heaven/Hell/Devil stuff was just a metaphore. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Baby Lee
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

poop your pants.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
And I think the Heaven/Hell/Devil stuff was just a metaphore. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

That is how I took it as well. Not the real hell, more like a hell on earth type situation. Being in the worst possible situation type of deal.

DaneMcCloud
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I disagree somewhat with the idea that this episode was lame. We got a lot of answers to smaller mysteries. Maybe the answers weren't what we expected, maybe some didn't like the answers, but they were given. There's been six years of speculation on a lot of this stuff. So, of course, some of the answers aren't going to be a surprise. I think that's okay.

Was Season Three or Four when John was told to kill his father?

Once he was confronted with Anthony Cooper, Cooper said "Don't you know where we are?" with a laugh.

John couldn't bring it upon himself to kill Cooper, so he convinced Sawyer to do it.

Much like MIB convincing Ben to kill Jacob.

But the main reason I bring this up is that despite the show runners claims that the island isn't hell or purgatory, they've been dropping plenty of clues along the way that it IS hell or purgatory, with Cooper's proclamation, the fact that many of the Losties have murdered and now, last night's episode.

I hope they throw us a curve ball because if this is true, it's not a very creative explanation. They could have come up with something much cooler, IMO.

BigRedChief
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Once he was confronted with Anthony Cooper, Cooper said "Don't you know where we are?" with a laugh.

John couldn't bring it upon himself to kill Cooper, so he convinced Sawyer to do it.

But the main reason I bring this up is that despite the show runners claims that the island isn't hell or purgatory, they've been dropping plenty of clues along the way that it IS hell or purgatory, with Cooper's proclamation, the fact that many of the Losties have murdered and now, last night's episode.

I hope they throw us a curve ball because if this is true, it's not a very creative explanation. They could have come up with something much cooler, IMO.yeah, its hell or purgatory would be lame.

rad
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
So...Anthony Cooper is Sawyer's "Sawyer" and Lockes "father"?

Dayze
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Cooper was a con artist; conned Locke out of his kidney. Don' think he was really his father; just conned Locke into thinking he was.

and Cooper conned Sawyer's mom (i think); which caused Sawyers dad to off himslef and his wife.

KingPriest2
03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Cooper was a con artist; conned Locke out of his kidney. Don' think he was really his father; just conned Locke into thinking he was.

and Cooper conned Sawyer's mom (i think); which caused Sawyers dad to off himslef and his wife.

He is Lockes father

Dayze
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
He is Lockes father

oh.
i thought he was just pretending to be in order to get his kidney.

...this show requires 'notes' lol.

rad
03-24-2010, 12:24 PM

That's exactly what I said in less words......just a yes or no question. I hadn't realized they were the same guy.

I can't wait for the series DVD to come out, I need to the whole thing.

Baby Lee
03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
oh.
i thought he was just pretending to be in order to get his kidney.

...this show requires 'notes' lol.

Well, if there was any ambiguity, doubtful as the familial match is the central reason Sawyer sought to con him in the first place, there's the fact that he's still Locke's father [and apparently on good terms] in the sideways world.

Brock
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
That was a fairly anticlimactic and stupid explanation for the destruction of the statue.

Red Brooklyn
03-24-2010, 02:07 PM

I hope they throw us a curve ball because if this is true, it's not a very creative explanation. They could have come up with something much cooler, IMO.
I hear you, man. And I agree. If that's the ultimate "answer" or explanation... I'll be a disappointed as well.

But I think these little references are again more metaphorical. I also think they could be sublte little inside jokes to the fans.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't believe they're literally in Hell. If they are what was the point of Jacob slamming Richard into the ocean? I don't know. Fingers crossed.

I still have faith. But I completely understand your trepidation.

PhillyChiefFan
03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I hear you, man. And I agree. If that's the ultimate "answer" or explanation... I'll be a disappointed as well.

But I think these little references are again more metaphorical. I also think they could be sublte little inside jokes to the fans.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't believe they're literally in Hell. If they are what was the point of Jacob slamming Richard into the ocean? I don't know. Fingers crossed.

I still have faith. But I completely understand your trepidation.

I don't believe they are at all, especially based on what Hurley said last night at the very end.

He said "You need to stop the MIB from leaving the island, or we are all going to hell." That tells me that, that what Richard said in the beginning of the episode is not true.

Guru
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Guyliner didn't have guyliner in the past. so where did he find the guyliner. Or is he just really tired. heh

Miles
03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Guyliner didn't have guyliner in the past. so where did he find the guyliner. Or is he just really tired. heh

Must have been part of the deal. Eternal life brings limitless supply of guyliner.

DaneMcCloud
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
One thing I forgot to add, FWIW.

Nestor Carbonell deserves an Emmy for his performance last night.

He was nothing short of amazing. You didn't see Richard in the flashbacks. You saw a simple, fearful man. His English was broken and his voice consistently wavered and cracked. It was NOT the confident, sure-minded Richard we've grown to know over the past 6 years.

The scenes with his wife, especially at the end, were fantastic.

It was an amazing performance.

patteeu
03-25-2010, 03:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

poop your pants.

Connect that dot for me, please. Was that disaster referenced in the episode?

Third Eye
03-25-2010, 04:06 AM

Yeah, I don't get the connection to LOST, but it was definitely referenced in the season premiere of Breaking Bad last Sunday.

Dartgod
03-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Tenerife was the island where Ricardo and his wife lived.

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:08 AM
'Lost' recap: Uncorked
''Ab Aeterno'' puts the spotlight on Richard Alpert, and gives us more insight into Jacob and the Man In Black
By Jeff Jensen | Mar 24, 2010 Jeff Jensen
Jeff Jensen, an EW senior writer, has been despondent since the cancellation of ''Twin Peaks''Share Comments (1634) Add your comment
Image credit: Mario Perez/ABCSALVATION? THAT'LL COST YOU The MIB offered to set Richard free... or so he said. All AboutLost
Get the latest photos, news, and more
It began in the darkest of night, on the shores of a place Richard Alpert called Hell. It ended in Easter daylight, in a lush Eden, with the ageless enigma trembling with much fear and a glimmer of hope. In between, we got a story that asked questions that we've been asking ab aeterno since the beginning. What is good? What is evil? How do we know the difference? Who knows what is truly best for us? Who should we trust? How do we make moral choices amid such ambiguity? Why must we figure this stuff out on our own? Why don't the gods of the universe play straight with us? How the flaming hell are we supposed to live like this?

''Ab Aeterno'' the story of two great and powerful and angry gentlemen and a third who wasn't quite sure who or what he was anymore was miles away from Two and a Half Men. It was a heavy, heady hour of TV suffused with Biblical subtext, scribbled with subtitles, and stuffed with answers for the show's Island mythology, albeit in a fabulist form requiring careful interpretation and a clarification or two. Or more. In addition to getting a story that revealed how Richard Alpert got to The Island, we got a story that revealed more of the historical relationship between Jacob and the Man In Black. Indeed, we got the sense that the battle these two angels/demons/whatchamacallums waged over Alpert's soul was actually the first phase of Man In Black's 140-years-in-the-making Smoke-man from Alcatraz escape plan. The episode used a corked, half-empty jug of wine as a metaphor for The Island as a never-to-be-opened holding container for hell and assorted analogous concepts: malevolence, evil, darkness, more. Jacob said all those words were functional words to characterize the archetype embodied by the Man In Black. (No doubt Smokey's own interpretation of Jacob's symbols would have been be more charitable and ''glass half full.'')

Wine was one of several religious symbols of the Catholic-Christian stripe that ''Ab Aeterno'' employed and subverted. I was reminded of the cryptic Last Supper images that ABC released prior to the season, particularly the one in which the castaways were seen serving and sipping the wine at Fake Locke's Passover table. Jacob might say, ''They're drinking poison!'' Smokey's interpretation? Judging from the way he smashed the bottle/metaphor to bits, maybe he'd say ''They're drinking spirits. I mean, their souls. I'm pouring out and returning their souls to them. Get it? Wine = Spirits = Souls? No? Oh, screw this symbology s--t! It's just a damn bottle of wine!''

NEXT: If you thought 'The Office' and 'Les Miserables' weren't going to come up, you were wrong
Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Next

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Share Comments (1634) Add your comment
Image credit: Mario Perez/ABCTHE GOOD WIFE Isabella's Island appearance helped the Great Eyelashed One find closure. All AboutLost
''Ab Aeterno'' was a big winner in my book. My guess is that most fans feel the same way. As I write these words, Rainn Wilson, star of The Office, just Tweeted the following: ''Tonight's episode was one of TV's greatest of all time. I'm gay for the eternal Richard Alpert. There I said it.'' It was definitely the most unusual episode Lost has given us this season, a mostly linear tale akin to ''The Other 48 Days'' from season 2, ''Flashes Before Your Eyes'' in Season 3, and ''Meet Kevin Johnson'' from season 4. It was technically a flashback episode, thanks to the Island-set framing story; it was definitely not a Sideways episode. (I will pause a microsecond to allow the silly haters to cheer.) It was also the ninth hour of Lost's 18-hour final season. We're halfway to the finish, and the castaways are halfway to home or oblivion. Which one will it be? Right now, I guess it depends on how you view the jug. But let's crack it open and see if we find clarity. And I promise: a minimum of drunken theorizing this week.

The year: 1867. Ricardo was a handsome and horsey man with spectacular eyelashes and little time for shaving. He was a Spaniard who lived on the largest Canary Islands, Tenerife. (FUN FACT! Tenerife is known for its ancient pyramids believed by some to be a link between Egyptian and Mayan cultures.) Ricardo brave ruler had a wife. Isabella. God's promise. God is my oath. Pledged to God. The Penelope to his Desmond. His constant. Totally dug her cheese but not her bloody coughs. She had TB, and she was dying. We met her close to death, clutching her Bible, ready to make peace with mortality. She was all Rose: Time to let go. But Ricardo was not ready to surrender. He was all Jack: Nothing's irreversible. He stormed off into a raging rain, determined to bring back medicine that would restore her to life. ''I pray that I have enough,'' Ricardo said. The difference between Ricardo and Isabella was where they stored their treasure. Isabella kept it in Heaven; Ricardo kept it on Earth. The chasm would prove significant.

Ricardo galloped to the home of a wealthy doctor dressed in a black vest. He needed help. The Black Vest was too busy gumming some greasy chicken, and what's more, wasn't about to get his fine ebony threads all wet for some poor peasant chick in the sticks. But he had some medicine pure and white and salt-of-the-earthish. It would help Isabella. But it would cost Ricardo... a lot. Ricardo dumped some coins in Black Vest's hand. More, the doctor wanted. Ricardo gave him his wife's most precious possession, a necklace with a cross pendant the symbol of her life; her soul; her eternal hope. ''Now you have everything,'' Ricardo said. Black Vest threw it to the ground. It came to rest near the inferno of his fireplace. ''This is worthless,'' he said. Her life meant nothing to him. Medicine, humanitarianism, good Samaritan all blah blah blah to this monster. Ricardo snapped at the injustice. Grab! Push! Krunk-crack! Thud! Drip drip drip drip.... Black Vest's noggin bashed against his table. He bled out like a spilled jug of wine. Ricardo was now a murderer but he took the medicine anyway and galloped back home. But Isabella was already dead. Was he simply too late? Or did she die because of his sin? And then the Javerts broke in, and Ricardo was muy miserables.

NEXT: No salvation without degradation?

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Share Comments (1634) Add your comment All AboutLost
Ricardo was put in prison and sentenced to die. He spent his remaining days teaching himself English and reading the Bible. He had become converted, or so he believed. We saw him reading Luke chapter 4. In this chapter: Christ's temptation in the wilderness by Satan; Christ beginning his public ministry; Christ citing the proverb ''Physician, heal thyself!''; the story of Christ healing the sick and casting out demons. Yay for born again Ricardo, right? Wrong. He made his final confession to a priest another man in black. But the priest coldly rejected Ricardo's petition with a brutal ''No.'' It made me wonder if the priest declined the confession because he saw that it wasn't genuine. Ricardo didn't really consider himself guilty of a crime. He called it accidental. He called it killing instead of murder. He didn't view himself as a sinner who needed God. Rather, God was a means to an end a last gasp hope to be reconciled with Isabella in the heaven of her faith. Still, I think Father Black's further explanation will be one for the theologians amongst us to debate. True repentance requires penance, Father Black said. ''You don't have time... because tomorrow they're going to hang you. I'm afraid the devil awaits you in hell.'' This makes sense. It's kind of galling to think that rapists and serials killers and genocidal maniacs would get a Go Directly To Heaven! card with a simple if sincere spiritual conversion minutes before their execution. But if the monsters invalidate the principal, what about everyone else? Whither the multifold of lesser evil lifelong unbelievers misunderstood villains, semi-harmless jerks, nice guy agnostics, message board slaggers who on their deathbeds suddenly get the eternity jitters and bet their spiritual house on Pascal's Wager? Should St. Peter rubberstamp them DENIED and trapdoor drop them into Hades just because they didn't have time to complete the full redemption program?

Regardless, as I listened to Father's Black's pitiless theology, I found myself thinking this theory-thought: If only there was some second-chance place somewhere in the land of the setting sun, where you and other last-chance souls can band together and fight smoke monsters and prove yourself to cryptic gods and successfully score a seat on a flight or sub to Heaven. Could that be a viable theory of The Island?

Ricardo thought he found a different kind of reprieve: slavery. He had told Father Black that he and Isabella had dreamed of leaving their Island and finding new life as new creations in the New World. Father Black tipped off a fellow named Mr. Jonas Whitfield, an officer in the employ of Magnus Hanso, a shipping merchant and slave owner, that Ricardo was basically the kind of guy who'd do anything to stay alive even suffer dehumanization. Ricardo got a new lease on life by accepting a leash, and he soon found himself in manacles and anklets in the bowels of Hanso's ship: The Black Rock. According an apocryphal quasi-canon texts of Lost, Magnus Hanso was an ancestor of Alvar Hanso, the financier behind The Dharma Initiative. I encourage you to peruse his deets at Lostpedia at your leisure on another occasion.

NEXT: Holy shipwreck

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
The Black Rock found itself bumping through the proverbial dark and stormy night. Ricardo and his fellow human cargo worried as their stomachs heaved: This is the end/for us my slavey friends/The End... Their frightened tenor turned apocalyptic when they all peeked through the slats and saw the toothy crocodile grin of towering Taweret on the shores of The Island. Taweret: the Egyptian goddess of pregnancy and childbirth, a former bad girl goddess who redeemed herself and helped keep the god of evil Set in check. Not that the Spaniards knew their Taweret from toejam, but they did know their Dante. ''Inferno,'' SlaveSock intoned. The Black Rock caught a wave and hurtled straight into Taweret's mug. In the aftermath, Taweret lost her head and became The Four Toed Statue, and The Black Rock crashed in the center of The Island, where the impact shattered the ship into a million pieces and Ricardo and his friends died instantly... but then both boat and humans were miraculously reconstructed by a flock of magical talking Hurley birds. All to say that I didn't quite understand how The Black Rock survived The Island belly flop, but I rolled with it because 1. If rolling with it hasn't become an instinctive reflex by now, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself; and 2. It evoked one of Lost's key literary touchstones, The Wizard of Oz. Ricardo and The Black Rock touching down on The Island = Dorothy and her house landing in Oz. Indeed, just like Dorothy's adventure was a fantastical mirror of her hard-luck dustbowl life and plucky spirit, Ricardo's Island origin story played like a ''This is your life!'' phantasmagoria of his hardscrabble underclass existence and religiously shaped/scarred psyche. (P.S.: I know many of you are wondering if Lost made a continuity error regarding the time of day of The Black Rock's arrival. The error assumes that the ship that Jacob and the Man In Black saw last season during the sunny breakfast talk was The Black Rock. I was among those who assumed it was The Black Rock; I am now going to assume that I was simply wrong to have assumed that. See? Error resolved!)

Of course, Ricardo's Island ordeal also followed the beats of the mythical drama that apparently must always play out when castaways arrive on The Island, albeit with some bleak derivations. The Mysterious Island Arrival is followed by The Mad Scramble To Get Our Bearings, followed by A Heroic, Idealistic Embrace Of Live Together, Die Alone Survival Ethos... unless you're two-thirds man slave property and deemed a drain on precious resources, in which case you get skewered through the heart by the designated castaway leader. The scene was Richard's class struggle of life in little deadly strokes. (That scene, with Mr. Whitfield systematically murdering Ricardo's' steerage friends chilling. In his small defense, I got a whiff of mercy killing, too, and certain eau de Dogen: I think it would be better if you were dead.) And then: Monster Attack. First, the crew was chomped. Then, Mr. Whitfield was plucked and crunched. With that, Jacob and MIB's latest Olympiad of the Soul had been christened with bloody sacrifice.

NEXT: Bound, we pray to be made free
Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Next

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Smokey snatched up Whitfield's body seconds before he was going to shish kabob Ricardo. It was a deus ex machina salvation. But then he saw the face of divine intervention on The Island, and it was terrifying. Smokey snaked into the ship and slowly tikatikatikatika'd over to Alpert. Then, Smokey bent into shape so he could get a good look at Richard (Those are some amazing eyelashes, he thought) and then flashed him with his psychic strobes. After acquiring the necessary intel from Richard's head, Smokey left and Richard fainted.

Days passed. Richard tried to escape his bonds by prying a nail out of the floor and using it dig around the chain mounts on the wall. It was slow work. He was making progress, but he was also becoming dehydrated and weak. Then the boar always an omen of demons and doom on Lost showed up and began eating out of a dead man's stomach. The sinister swine then charged past Richard, knocking the nail out his reach. Despair. More days passed. Then, Isabella showed up. They were in Hell, she said. The devil was chasing her, she said. Let me help you out of those chains before he comes back, she said. Then: Tikatikatikatkatikatka. Ricardo told her to flee, that he would find her, save her. She padded up the steps. Ricardo heard scary sounds. Ricardo concluded: The Monster got her. Ricardo screamed. We said: Ricardo, you've been played. Someone or something left you down there to weaken your body and soften your mind to set you up to be their killing tool. Someone has played a Ben/Sawyer long con on you to warp you into a reckless hero like Jack, or worse, a ruthless assassin like Sayid. And here he comes now...

Enter the Man In Black. He gave slumbering Ricardo a long touch on his shoulder. Ricardo woke, then was taken aback. MIB called himself a friend, but everything after that seemed suspiciously tailored to Ricardo's worldview/state of mind. Yep, friend, you're in hell, the Nameless one (lied?) purred. Your wife? The devil has her. Sure, I can help you out those chains (Lucky you! I found the keys!), and sure, I can help you save her... Then came the bargaining. ''I want to be free, too,'' MIB explained. ''I need to know you will help me. You will do anything I ask. Then we are agreed?'' Ricardo said Si. This Is Your Life, Richard: Another man in black, selling salvation at a price.

Ricardo delighted in his release from bondage. MIB shared in that joy. ''It's good to see you out of those chains,'' MIB said, radiating true sincerity. He scooped up weak, witless Richard, and there was a quick shot of what looked like Ricardo's eyes looking cataract-gray blind and almost rolling into the back of his head. MIB carried Ricardo's half-life weight up and out of The Black Rock, and as he did, I recalled the words Richard had been reading in his cell from Luke 4: ''The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind; to set free those who are downtrodden, and proclaim the year of the Lord.'' In this scenario, Smokey = Jesus. He played the part but is he Christ or anti-Christ? We debate.

NEXT: Cain, Abel, and the devil in the details
Previous Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Share Comments (1635) Add your comment All AboutLost
The matter got murkier as the episode progressed. In the ruins of some ancient garden, the Man In Black quickly nursed some vitality back into Ricardo with roasted pig. ''I'm going to need your strength to escape,'' said MIB, a line also spoke to the Island drama in the present, in which MIB/Fake Locke needs the strength/support of the castaways to complete his supernatural prison break. As Ricardo chomped, MIB said some interesting things about himself. He claimed that ''the devil'' had ''betrayed'' him. ''He took my body. My humanity.'' My guess is that hard-core theorists will spend the next week factoring that bit of info into their ''Who is Smokey?'' conjectures. Some ideas I'm mulling over? Cain and Abel, the world's first CSI murder case. Cain was punished to wander the world as an immortal entity because he murdered his brother. He was also given a dark mark to scare away anyone who'd want to do him harm. I'd dare say that Earth-bound immortality qualifies as a kind of body-nullifying, dehumanizing curse and that being able to convert into black smoke and change shape can qualify as some kind of protective-spooky defensive mechanism. Abel's final fate is more on-the-nose with Lost: Wikipedia cites an apocryphal Biblical text that says that Abel now resides in a ''netherworld,'' an ''awful man'' who is tasked with judging all creatures, and examining the righteous and the sinners.''

Irrelevant? Maybe. But it was hard for me to resist the connection when MIB and Ricardo started talking about murder. ''There's only one way out of hell,'' MIB said. ''We're going to have to kill the devil.'' Ricardo argued that he'd basically be damning his soul with the same sin that damned him in the first place. Again: shades of Sayid. MIB got pragmatic on him. ''My friend, you and I can talk all day long about what is right and what is wrong but the question before you remains the same: Do you ever want to see your wife again?'' His utilitarian logic is located in the broad, contentious body of thought known as ''Consequentialism.'' As you might glean from MIB's sentiment, a weaknesses of ''Consequentialism'' is its shaky, nebulous definition of justice. A major egghead in this field? Jeremy Bentham, the name Charles Widmore gave John Locke before his death. He had at least one thing in common with MIB/Fake Locke: Bentham was an abolitionist. And that explains everything, right? Right! Moving on...

NEXT: A little something for Supernatural fans

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
The Man In Black sent his newly emancipated angel of death to the beach to slay Jacob with a ceremonial knife that looked very similar to the one Sayid stabbed Fake Locke with, if not the exact same would-be murder weapon. Ricardo got the same specific instruction that Sayid got, too: Stab first; don't even let him to talk to you. He eyeballed the shadowy entrance to Jacob's crypt-HQ, then got his ass kicked three different ways by the sunny blonde demigod, new and improved with action hero powers. He interrogated Ricardo with a mix of indignation and glibness that was both terrifying and funny. I loved the way he was framed against the blue sky, bright and elemental, a morning star. The Latin word for ''morning star''? That's right: Lucifer. Which brings us to the semiotic cipher that is Mark Pellegrino. The actor is marvelous as Jacob. But Pellegrino also appears on Supernatural, playing... Lucifer. According to a few recaps I've read, Pellegrino's Lucifer is on a mission to purge the Earth of mankind, which he views as innately corrupt, and torments humans with visions of the dearly departed dead. He also requires a human host to get around. Again, I say all of this having never seen an episode of Supernatural, so here's hoping the Internet is reasonably correct. Regardless, I find the Lucifer/Luciferesque overlaps between Supernatural and Lost to be intriguing and ingenious. What better way to cultivate further mystery around Jacob's moral allegiance than by casting him with an actor who currently plays the devil on another show? One would assume that neither Lost nor Pellegrino would want to duplicate efforts unless encouraging that assumption is exactly why you make that move. Hmm... will the series reveal that Sideways Lost = the Supernatural world?

Jacob listened to Ricardo accuse him of being the devil and heard the allegation that he had kidnapped his wife. Jacob seemed genuinely taken aback that MIB had tried to kill him. He was even more bothered by Ricardo's insistence that he was dead and in hell. Jacob picked him up and dunked him in the surf repeatedly water-boarding as wake-up call/baptism. Jacob: ''Still think you're dead? Why should I stop?'' Ricardo: ''Because I want to live!'' Jacob: ''That's the first sensible thing you've said.'' He then dumped him on the beach. ''Get up. We need to talk,'' he said. Interesting: MIB's m.o. was all about helping people to their feet. Jacob's m.o. was all about making people do it themselves. Physician, heal thyself!

The theme of self-determination continued in their conversation. Jacob brought his jug of wine and poured them both a drink. I was again reminded that Jacob looks like Sting, that the former leader singer of The Police had recorded a song about a son who engages in a drinking game with The King of Season to release his father from The Soul Cages. Ricardo asked him if he was the devil. Jacob smirked, as if enjoying a private joke. Maybe he wanted to say: ''Yes, I am on another network.'' Instead, he just said, ''No.'' He took responsibility for bringing The Black Rock to The Island. And when Ricardo asked why and what for, we got the Allegory of the Jug.

NEXT: Stick a cork in it

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
''Think of this wine for what you keep calling hell. There are many other names for it, too. Malevolence. Evil. Darkness. And here it is, swirling around in the bottle, unable to get out because if it did, it would spread. The cork is this island. And it's the only thing keeping the darkness where it belongs. That man who sent you to kill me thinks that everyone is corruptible because it's in their very nature to sin. I bring people here to prove him wrong. And when they get here, their past doesn't matter.'' (Note that Jacob seems to be evoking the idea of Original Sin. More on this in a minute.)

Ricardo asked if others had been brought to The Island before him. ''Yes. Many,'' Jacob said. Ricardo asked what happened to them. ''They're all dead,'' he replied matter-of-factly. (Both Pellegrino and Titus Welliver as Man In Black injected their line readings with some knowing humor that lightened the mood while making their characters even more inscrutable and unsettling.) Ricardo asked a crucial question: How come Jacob doesn't take a more active role in shepherding his spiritual reclamation projects? ''Because I want them to help themselves. To be able to tell the difference between right and wrong without me having to tell them, it's all meaningless if I have to force them to do anything! Why should I have to step in?'' Richard's reply: ''If you don't, he will.''

This answer seemed to stump Jacob. It was as if Ricardo had told him something he never considered before. If only he read more books. It's interesting to note that last week, Lost re-introduced into the narrative mix three of Sawyer's favorite books: Watership Down, A Wrinkle In Time, and Lancelot. To varying degrees, all three books deal with corrupt leaders, false messiahs, and wickedly dark spirits that rise to power when a culture lacks a strong, truthful moral agent guiding it. Take Lancelot, whose narrator fancies himself a righteous knight determined to purge the world of corruption. In truth, he's a tragically damaged, deeply disturbed potential psychopath who is locked up in a mental institution and should stay there. At the end of the book (SPOILER ALERT), he comes to a six-point conclusion about the world. Pay close attention to Number 5. ''1. We are living in Sodom. 2. I do not propose to live in Sodom or to raise my son and daughters in Sodom. 3. Either your God exists or he does not. 4. If he exists, he will not tolerate Sodom much longer. 5. If God does not exist, then it will be I not God who will not tolerate. I, one person. I will start a new world single-handedly or with those like me who will not tolerate it. [He then goes on to say his new world order will also include... genocide against the Russians and Chinese, America's main ''enemies'' during the books mid-'70s setting.] 6. I'll wait and give your God more time.''

NEXT: Yet another Charles

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:14 AM
In my Friday column, I'll explore those literary references some more, plus tell you what Doc Arzt's has to do with all of them. In the meantime, think about this: In Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time, there's a young boy supernaturally bright and powerful who falls prey to an evil, disembodied mind known as IT. He turns out okay, and lives to save the day in other books. But in a subsequent series of books that take place many years after the events of A Wrinkle In Time and its sequels, we learn that this protagonist has gone mysteriously missing, allegedly on a secret mission. He never again appeared in L'Engle's books. This young man's shares his first name with three different characters on Lost: Charles. (Think: Charlie, Charles Widmore, and Charles, the son of Desmond and Penelope.) But L'Engle's Charles preferred to be called by the combination of his first and middle name: Charles Wallace. Wallace: the name at No. 108 on the dial in Jacob's Lighthouse. Now, last week, Charlotte Lewis made a return appearance in the show. Charlotte's father was named David Lewis. David Lewis is a famous philosopher who championed a theory of alternate/possible realities known as modal realities. Lewis' theories were pretty radical. He argued that even fictional fantasy worlds like Lost could exist somewhere within reality. Now, given the knowingly ironic Lost/Supernatural overlap represented by Mark Pellegrino, is it possible that ''Wallace'' is actually Charles Wallace from A Wrinkle In Time? Could he be the one that Hurley needed to bring to The Island? Is he locked up inside that room on Charles Widmore's sub? Or could he already be on The Island? Could he be... Jacob?

Jacob offered Ricardo a job! Moved by Ricardo's point, Jacob said: ''If I don't want to step in maybe you can do it for me. You can be my representative and my intermediary between me and the people I bring to The Island.'' Ricardo wanted compensation. He asked his wife back. Jacob: Can't do that. He asked for absolution of his sins. Jacob: Nope, can't do that either. He then asked for eternal life. His logic: Better than going to hell; and maybe I an accumulate enough penance to improve my chances at Heaven. ''Now that, I can do,'' Jacob said. And with, Jacob touched him, and the Ageless Enigma was born. Let us note two things. If Jacob really was some kind of God/Jesus figure, you'd think he would have been able to grant Ricardo's first two requests. Moreover, Jacob's rejection of Original Sin is provocative for anyone whose theory of a Christ-like Jacob has been informed by Christian theology, as many Christians do believe in Original Sin. Maybe Jacob-Jesus is trying to prove that spiritually renewed people can truly ''go and sin no more'' (John 8:11)? Perhaps The Island isn't a place where people are spiritually tested, but rather where religions are tested for relevancy and truthfulness. Jacob and Smokey are basically quality control experts Inspectors 1 and 2 of Fruit of the Loom holy underwear. And right now, Christianity's up.

NEXT: The way of the cross

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Ricardo accepted Jacob's offer. Why not? It's a ''Somewhere Over The Rainbow'' dream come true a sweet, secure life in The New World... minus the love of his life, of course. Ricardo went back to MIB, who knew that Jacob had turned him. But he didn't blame him much. ''He can be very persuasive,'' he said. You got the sense that MIB's current incarceration had something to do with buying into something Jacob had once sold him long ago something that hadn't gone exactly as planned or promised. MIB reminded Ricardo that siding with Jacob meant that he could never see his wife again as if that was truly something he could deliver. (Again, we wonder: Is the Sideways world the fulfillment of MIB's promises?) ''But I want you to know that if you ever change your mind and I mean ever my offer still stands.'' Ricardo gave MIB a gift from Jacob: a white stone, which I took to be nothing more than an inside joke, an ironic declaration of victory (I won Richard's soul! Nah-nah-nah!) punning off of Black Rock. (I get the sense these clever boys enjoy their almost childish cruel winks and coded banter with each other.) MIB in turn gave Ricardo Isabella's cross-necklace. I couldn't tell if MIB was taunting him or being kind with the gesture. Maybe the quiet understanding was that the token served as a talisman for summoning Smokey. Ricardo took it and then buried it...

Only to return over 140 years later to dig it back up and tried to ring up Smokey. ''Does the offer still stand?'' he bellowed. Earlier in the episode, Richard's crisis of faith spurred by the death of Jacob had been reignited by Ilana's claim that Richard was supposed to know what to do next with the candidates. Richard freaked. He had no clue. Yes, Jacob had given him the job to serve as mediator and advisor to Island visitors and assorted Others. But it now seemed that Ricardo was pretty much flying on blind faith and making up the job as he went along. But he had held onto his belief that The Island was hell, and that he was dead, and exasperated by the madness of Jacob's apparent meaninglessness, he stormed off to do what Ben was tempted to do back in ''Dr. Linus'': Switch teams and hook up with someone who offered him something like purpose and hope, even if it meant unleashing darkness upon the earth. Way to go, ''Lancelot.''

But instead of a rendezvous with the devil, Richard got Hurley instead. What followed was an extremely effective and affecting scene that flirted with trite emotional resolution but managed to work thanks to some great acting and direction. Leveraging his Ghost Whisperer secret powers, Hurley was able to facilitate a moment between the living and the dead, between Ricardo and Isabella, and translate and impart some spiritual wisdom that Richard desperately needed to hear. Put another way: Hurley and Richard basically switched roles last night, with Hurley playing Island advisor and Richard playing castaway spiritual seeker. Isabella asked Ricardo why he had buried her cross her soul; her love; his compass. It was a gentle indictment of Ricardo's misplaced values of finding treasure in the material, not spiritual, in what he can hold in the moment, not carry forever in his heart. Isabella then praised his English English, the language they were learning together; the language they had learned form the Bible they read, together; the language of the new world they wanted to be recreated into, together. ''Tell him his English is beautiful,'' Isabella asked Hurley. He did. Gotta admit: Kinda choked up there.

NEXT: Through many dangers, toils, and snares
Previous Page 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Ricardo/Richard had not been able to see or hear Isabella for most of her spectral visit. But at the end, with eyes closed, Ricardo heard her voice, and in her words, he heard what he wanted to hear from the priest several lifetimes earlier: absolution. ''It wasn't your fault that I died, Ricardo,'' Isabella said through Hurley. But the rest Ricardo either heard or felt: ''As much as you wanted to save me, it was my time. You've suffered enough.'' He replied: ''I've missed you. I would do anything for us to be together again.'' She said, ''My love. We are already together.'' Translation: It's what Michael Landon said in that Little House on the Prairie clip from last week: It's about ''knowin' that people aren't really gone when they die. We have all the good memories to sustain us until we see 'em again.'' Alpert's real life namesake, Hindu guru Richard Alpert/Ram Dass, advocates the idea that everything is suffused spirit. With an assist from Hurley, Ricardo/Richard finally earned the eyes to see that, and to recognize that we can let go of Hell and move into Heaven whenever we want. What Ricardo/Richard got was huge whollop of ''Amazing Grace,'' the hymn written by a former slaver during a harrowing night at sea: ''Amazing grace/how sweet the sound/that saved a wretch like me/I once was lost/but now am found/was blind but now I see.''

Over the last several weeks, I've been pushing this idea inspired by those darn Last Supper images that Lost 6.0 was being modeled upon Jesus' Thursday-to-Sunday Passion weekend. That's now unlikely, since last night's episode represented the third day of Jesus' trip to hell and back Easter Sunday. But we did get a story that thematically symbolized resurrection and the restoration of relationship between mankind and the divine. Hence the setting of the episode's climax: a Garden of Eden motif, complete with a proverbial Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil Ground Zero for the big bang's humanity's fall from grace. Ricardo was saved. (Yay!) But then came his Great Commission. (Groan!) Richard's Island mission: Keep the Man In Black from popping that cork or cracking open the bottle and getting out. Interesting, though, that Richard wasn't told he had to try to kill the Man In Black. At least nobody is asking him to play Sayid the Assassin. Still, how can Richard succeed? Did he learn something from this spiritual journey that could help him? Something about love? Something about sacrifice? In many of the mythic stories Lost cites, including A Wrinkle In Time, pure, sincere love makes a difference. Oh, and a good magical sword, too.

NEXT: Turning water into wine
Previous Page 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Nonetheless, I'm not sold on MIB being ''bad'' and Jacob being ''good.'' Neither sold me as wholly trustworthy last night which is fitting. My other big theory of late has been that each episode of Lost this year has been linked to one of The Ten Commandments. This was the 9th hour, so we should have gotten the 9th Commandment, and we did: Do not bare false witness against your neighbor. Translation: Don't lie; don't break a promise. I'm willing to cede that Jacob did right by Richard, fulfilling his promise of giving him purpose and clarity over the course of the episode. But I'm not sure he was telling us the truth about his wine bottle. I accept The Cork. The Cork makes sense. But I wonder if Jacob is wrong about the wine. I get the sense that Jacob isn't keen on death. His only super-power is the one that Satan has: Fall into his clutches, and he gets to keep you forever. I'm not saying he's evil. But I am saying that in so many heroic stories, the real, necessary reality of death is often mistaken for evil. So what if the wine in Jacob's bottle = all the souls that have come to The Island and lost the wager with Smokey? What if all those souls are trapped on The Island because Jacob refuses to let them go? In fact, what if the terms of the wager are akin to one of those Old Testament bets that God would make with his prophets, whereby a while wicked city can be saved if one ''good soul'' can be found? Maybe Jacob has been holding onto all those souls who've lost the wager because he's holding out to find that one good man that can give them all a second chance at life? And maybe Smokey thinks that's fundamentally wrong or unnatural, which is why he's so desperate to just end this whole damn redemption game, so everyone can move on to whatever afterlife they deserve including himself. Breaking the bottle doesn't release a toxic cloud of evil it just sets the prisoners of Jacob's purgatory free. Namaste!?

BigRedChief
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Can we get a cliff notes version?

Baby Lee
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Tenerife was where Richard lived in 1867. In 1977 [when Juliet esspodeded the bomb] there was a plane crash [actually two].

Dayze
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM

He was nothing short of amazing. You didn't see Richard in the flashbacks. You saw a simple, fearful man. His English was broken and his voice consistently wavered and cracked. It was NOT the confident, sure-minded Richard we've grown to know over the past 6 years.

agree 100%.

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Tenerife was where Richard lived in 1867. In 1977 [when Juliet esspodeded the bomb] there was a plane crash [actually two].

I still don't believe the bomb exploded.

If it had, Juliet and everyone and everything within a 3 mile radius would have been vaporized.

Malcor
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Except for that when the bomb went off, they were no longer in the past to be vaporized by it. Or something.

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Except for that when the bomb went off, they were no longer in the past to be vaporized by it. Or something.

But then why wasn't the metal structure, which was partially pulled into the pit, vaporized? Or the vegetation around the blast area?

I think that the "Sideways" flashes occurred because Jacob was murdered, not because the bomb went off.

Red Brooklyn
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I still don't believe the bomb exploded.

If it had, Juliet and everyone and everything within a 3 mile radius would have been vaporized.
Agreed.

In the current, on-island timeline that bomb never went off.

Brock
03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
But then why wasn't the metal structure, which was partially pulled into the pit, vaporized? Or the vegetation around the blast area?

I think that the "Sideways" flashes occurred because Jacob was murdered, not because the bomb went off.

What, then, submerged the island?

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM

I have absolutely no idea.

But I don't think that an atomic bomb from the 1950's could have submerged the island. Those things were not that powerful.

Chiefless
03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
In the timeline where the bomb was detonated The island is sunken beneath the sea. In that case, if the island really is a cork holding evil at bay then evil has been unleashed the sideways timeline. I've had the feeling that locke is jacob in the sideways timeline. He has said some weird things.

Red Brooklyn
03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
We know the island moves. Which means, theoretically, it isn't attached to the ocean floor. So what's keeping it afloat?

We know that there is at least one "pocket" of energy deep within the island. They drill into this pocket while building the Swan hatch. Perhaps it is this pocket of energy inside and underneath the island that keeps it afloat.

Faraday told us that the bomb would "negate" the pocket of energy. So perhaps (in the alt timeline) the blast (though not strong enough to sink the island itsefl) was strong enough to negate (or sort of "pop") the pocket of energy. With the energy gone there was nothing to keep the island afloat. So it sank.

There you go. That's the best I got. :)

PhillyChiefFan
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Global Warming :D

Red Brooklyn
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Global Warming :D
ROFL

Yeah, no, this answer is much better than mine! Change my answer to this.

KingPriest2
03-25-2010, 05:52 PM

It was the incident that sunk it. Darma was there and left.

L.A. Chieffan
03-26-2010, 10:08 AM

I was gonna post something similar to this. I didn't even know the guys name but hes a great actor.

BigRedChief
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I was gonna post something similar to this. I didn't even know the guys name but hes a great actor.It was an amazing performance. Should get him some more acting jobs and an emmy.

Brock
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
It was the incident that sunk it. Darma was there and left.

How?

DaneMcCloud
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
How?

I'm sure we're find out as the two timelines converge.

Baby Lee
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I was gonna post something similar to this. I didn't even know the guys name but hes a great actor.

He's still Lemonlegs to me. j/k ROFL

Red Brooklyn
03-26-2010, 05:31 PM
How?
Come on, Brock. I gave a perfectly logical, realistic and plausable explanation on the previous page. Keep up. :)

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
That was a pretty sucky episode. Almost filler material. Can't the writers keep up the suspense the last 10 weeks of the show?

Third Eye
03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
That was a pretty sucky episode. Almost filler material. Can't the writers keep up the suspense the last 10 weeks of the show?

You thought so? I thought it was a great one.

arrowheadnation
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Hands down. Best part of the show was...

Sawyer: What do you need a boat for? Can't you just turn into smoke and fly your %$% over the water?
Flocke: Do you think if I could do that, I would still be on this island?
Sawyer: No, cuz that would be ridiculous.

ROFL

I think we saw the first interaction between the two storylines tonight. Any chance Dez is from the flash sideways storyline? Oh yeah, I also like the fact that they're starting to tell story from each group now instead of Flocke group one week and Jack group the next week.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2010, 06:43 AM
You thought so? I thought it was a great one.

What was great about it?

PhillyChiefFan
03-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Hands down. Best part of the show was...

Sawyer: What do you need a boat for? Can't you just turn into smoke and fly your %$% over the water?
Flocke: Do you think if I could do that, I would still be on this island?
Sawyer: No, cuz that would be ridiculous.

ROFL

I think we saw the first interaction between the two storylines tonight. Any chance Dez is from the flash sideways storyline? Oh yeah, I also like the fact that they're starting to tell story from each group now instead of Flocke group one week and Jack group the next week.

First thing I thought about when I saw Desmond was a flash sideways, because he has forgotten everyone's name etc, before when he was in the helicopter leaving for the ship last season.

I guess I kind of feel like the other people have had the same thing happen to them?

I didn't get too much from tonight, the only thing I found interesting was that the timeline was going backwards. As in we are now seeing why Jin was in the closet when Syiad shot the guys in the kitchen.

Before we saw things in order that they happen, now it's almost reverse.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
What has me bummed is that on DarkUFO people who have read the scripts, seen dailies, etc., have 3 remaining episodes ranked significantly below this last one.

tymania
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
I just got a new cable box and it freakin froze 5 mins into LOST... man i was pissed, from what i have heard it wasnt that exciting of an episode.. Ill have to catch it somewhere online tonight..

PhillyChiefFan
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
What has me bummed is that on DarkUFO people who have read the scripts, seen dailies, etc., have 3 remaining episodes ranked significantly below this last one.

Then I hope they know something that we don't, cause I wasn't that impressed with this one

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM

Wow.

Last night's episode delivered the first evidence of the two time lines converging.

Sun didn't lose the ability to speak English because she hit her head, she can't speak English because in the Sideways Flash, she wasn't trying to escape Jin and thus never learned English.

Jin OTOH, CAN speak English in the Sideways Flash, which is why he has the ability on the Island.

Smokey is contained on the Island by water. He can't just turn into the Smoke Monster and travel at will. He's restricted to "human" form.

There was a scene where Sun looked into a mirror and was appalled at the image (of what, we don't know).

Now we know how Mikhail lost his eye.

Keamy's not dead.

And finally, Desmond was the person captured and brought back to the island by Widmore. This is particularly interesting because it appears that Desmond never went to the Island in the Sideways flash, so his importance has yet to be revealed.

I thought it was an excellent episode.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Sun didn't lose the ability to speak English because she hit her head, she can't speak English because in the Sideways Flash, she wasn't trying to escape Jin and thus never learned English.

Jin OTOH, CAN speak English in the Sideways Flash, which is why he has the ability on the Island.

I think I'm going to have to go back and watch a few episodes to refresh my memory....couple questions about the above:

#1 - I thought Sun COULD speak English in the sideways flash...or maybe I just assumed that she could because:
A: At the airport, when the customs people found the money, one of them said "Do you speak English?"....and it appear Sun was about to speak.
B: Just before Keemy came into the room while she was talking to Jin, she said something along the lines of "Ok, I need to tell you something" which I thought was going to be "I can speak English". Not sure why I felt that, but I did.

#2 - Refresh my memory of Jin speaking English in the sideways flash. What did he say & where? I just can't remember him saying anything other than "No English."

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
I think I'm going to have to go back and watch a few episodes to refresh my memory....couple questions about the above:

#1 - I thought Sun COULD speak English in the sideways flash...or maybe I just assumed that she could because:
A: At the airport, when the customs people found the money, one of them said "Do you speak English?"....and it appear Sun was about to speak.
B: Just before Keemy came into the room while she was talking to Jin, she said something along the lines of "Ok, I need to tell you something" which I thought was going to be "I can speak English". Not sure why I felt that, but I did.

#2 - Refresh my memory of Jin speaking English in the sideways flash. What did he say & where? I just can't remember him saying anything other than "No English."

Sun didn't speak English and Jin lied.

:D

Plus, they're not married.

Oh, and since "Kwon" was revealed to be a candidate, I've thought that it refers to neither Sun nor Jin but their daughter.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Nevermind, just remembered what she was going to tell him...."I'm pregnant."

KingPriest2
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Wow.

Last night's episode delivered the first evidence of the two time lines converging.

Smokey is contained on the Island by water. He can't just turn into the Smoke Monster and travel at will. He's restricted to "human" form.

There was a scene where Sun looked into a mirror and was appalled at the image (of what, we don't know).

Keamy's not dead.

And finally, Desmond was the person captured and brought back to the island by Widmore. This is particularly interesting because it appears that Desmond never went to the Island in the Sideways flash, so his importance has yet to be revealed.

I agree it was a great episode but one thing I dont is Sun's reason not speaking English If that was the case then how can she be speaking english up til that moment? The sideways has always been going on so wouldnt you think she wouldnt be able to speak english all this time?

I do agree on Desmond

irishjayhawk
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow.

Keamy's not dead.

I distinctly remember Sun being the one who learned English in the first 3 seasons via flashbacks.

rad
03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow.

Keamy's not dead.

I was under the impression that the Sideways flashes were an alternate reality, where the island didn't exist, not a look into the past. Mikhail looked pretty dead anyway, getting shot in eye at close range and all, just a clever shot placement by writers, as if to say "This dude is just destined to be a one-eyed bastid, wherever he exists"

irishjayhawk
03-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I was under the impression that the Sideways flashes were an alternate reality, where the island didn't exist, not a look into the past. Mikhail looked pretty dead anyway, getting shot in eye at close range and all, just a clever shot placement by writers, as if to say "This dude is just destined to be a one-eyed bastid, wherever he exists"

I've hand the impression since the first flashsideways that it was the story that will happen based on what happens on the island.

KingPriest2
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Sun didn't speak English and Jin lied.

Plus, they're not married.

Oh, and since "Kwon" was revealed to be a candidate, I've thought that it refers to neither Sun nor Jin but their daughter.

You might have a point with their daughter

KingPriest2
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
First thing I thought about when I saw Desmond was a flash sideways, because he has forgotten everyone's name etc, before when he was in the helicopter leaving for the ship last season.

I guess I kind of feel like the other people have had the same thing happen to them?

I didn't get too much from tonight, the only thing I found interesting was that the timeline was going backwards. As in we are now seeing why Jin was in the closet when Syiad shot the guys in the kitchen.

Before we saw things in order that they happen, now it's almost reverse.

Its not going backwards Every side story basically picks up at the same point when they got off the plane

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree it was a great episode but one thing I dont is Sun's reason not speaking English If that was the case then how can she be speaking english up til that moment? The sideways has always been going on so wouldnt you think she wouldnt be able to speak english all this time?

I do agree on Desmond

I think the Sideways are happening parallel to what's happening on the Island. But, I think the two realities are beginning to converge and since we just realized that Sun can't speak English in the Sideways, it's affected her on Island.

It's all happening in real time: Two different realities are about to become one.

And as I've said all along, Desmond (The Constant), is the key, which is why Widmore brought him to the Island.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 08:10 PM
I distinctly remember Sun being the one who learned English in the first 3 seasons via flashbacks.

But that was because she wanted to leave Jin and go to American on her own.

In the Sideways, he loves Jin yet isn't married to him. There's no reason for her to learn English and go to America, so she doesn't.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM

I think it's an alternate reality that's slowly converging with the Island reality.

At some point soon, both realities will become one.

Mikhail may be dead but who knows for certain? I thought Keamy was dead but apparently not.

But what the show is proving is that your destiny is your destiny.

KingPriest2
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the Sideways are happening parallel to what's happening on the Island. But, I think the two realities are beginning to converge and since we just realized that Sun can't speak English in the Sideways, it's affected her on Island.

It's all happening in real time: Two different realities are about to become one.

And as I've said all along, Desmond (The Constant), is the key, which is why Widmore brought him to the Island.

I do agree with you on most of these points esp in regards to Desmond The two will converge at some point

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I do agree with you on most of these points esp in regards to Desmond The two will converge at some point

Eh, we'll see. I could be absolutely, completely wrong about everything!

KingPriest2
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Eh, we'll see. I could be absolutely, completely wrong about everything!

No you have some good points I just have this feeling that the alt reality has more meaning then the island reality Remember when Faraday in "Lefleur" after the time jumps stop saying that they are on the wrong record I cant remember exactly what he said but along those lines This is when they were sitting at the table aoutside right before Richard shows up.

Ari Chi3fs
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Its not going backwards Every side story basically picks up at the same point when they got off the plane

This is and it isn't. All of these lives have been different because Jacob died, thus he was unable to touch them or interact with them at an earlier stage in life, so maybe they actually aren't candidates?

lol.

Who the fuck knows with this show. I've always though the island was some sort of purgatory, but I couldn't understand why or how they would shift to a portal of hell and be able to come back to natural civilization?

PhillyChiefFan
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM

What led you to believe that Sun doesn't speak English at all? I might have missed something

She never spoke English in front of Jin before until she was on the island, and the only scenes we have seen her in the sideways flashes, she is with Jin, so she may be able to speak it, she might just choose not to.

Or was there something that happened where we know she can't speak, that I missed??

tymania
04-01-2010, 07:43 AM

you could be on to something.. the writers are definitely trying to point out something about peoples destiny..
however if what happes in the alt reality affects their lives on the island.. then i wonder how Sun being shot will affect her life on the island... hmmm ?:hmmm:

Chiefnj2
04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
It's not like Sun doesn't know English. She understands it and can write it.

Huffmeister
04-01-2010, 12:17 PM
What led you to believe that Sun doesn't speak English at all? I might have missed something

She never spoke English in front of Jin before until she was on the island, and the only scenes we have seen her in the sideways flashes, she is with Jin, so she may be able to speak it, she might just choose not to.

Or was there something that happened where we know she can't speak, that I missed??

Before the island, she learned English because she wanted to leave Jin, and never spoke it in front of him so that he wouldn't catch on.

In the Sideways, she's not married to Jin and seems to be in love with him. So there would be no reason for her to learn English. And if she did, there would be no reason to hide it from Jin.

Dartgod
04-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I get so confused on this show sometimes. What's the significance of Desmond being back on the island, with Whitmore?

Mr. Plow
04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Before the island, she learned English because she wanted to leave Jin, and never spoke it in front of him so that he wouldn't catch on.

In the Sideways, she's not married to Jin and seems to be in love with him. So there would be no reason for her to learn English. And if she did, there would be no reason to hide it from Jin.

But, she did say that she wanted to run away with Jin....so there might have been a reason to learn English.

Brock
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I get so confused on this show sometimes. What's the significance of Desmond being back on the island, with Whitmore?

Dunno. He's apparently some kind of weapon against Flocke.

BigRedChief
04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I get so confused on this show sometimes. What's the significance of Desmond being back on the island, with Whitmore?I think he is some kind of central point in the timelines.

DaneMcCloud
04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I think he is some kind of central point in the timelines.

The Constant.

He's been the only person so far that's been able to put together two different realities.

KingPriest2
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
The Constant.

He's been the only person so far that's been able to put together two different realities.

So right on

Bearcat
04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
It's a nice twist... ever since the initial constant talk it seemed like they were heading towards everyone having constants, and the people on the island finding a way to exist in the alternate timeline. Converging the two would be much more interesting.... er, speaking of, I hope Fringe comes back soon.

Guru
04-01-2010, 11:05 PM
It's a nice twist... ever since the initial constant talk it seemed like they were heading towards everyone having constants, and the people on the island finding a way to exist in the alternate timeline. Converging the two would be much more interesting.... er, speaking of, I hope Fringe comes back soon.Maybe their other "selves" are their constants.

Brainiac
04-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the people on the island are in hell, and the alternate reality will turn out to be the one true reality.

Guru
04-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the people on the island are in hell, and the alternate reality will turn out to be the one true reality.That would suck if it ended that way. Makes the entire series pointless then.

irishjayhawk
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I think the people on the island are in hell, and the alternate reality will turn out to be the one true reality.

Except for the small fact that the LOST producers have adamantly denied this since it was proposed 5 seasons ago.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Except for the small fact that the LOST producers have adamantly denied this since it was proposed 5 seasons ago.

I don't think that matters one iota.

If true, why would they give away the biggest secret in the first season?

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2010, 01:39 AM
That would suck if it ended that way. Makes the entire series pointless then.

Some one or some couple is going to sacrifice themselves so that the others from flight 815 can live a "normal" life.

The one caveat being that they'll always have the memories of their time on the "Island" with them at all time and always be aware of that sacrifice.

Fish
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
The Constant.

"See you in another life, brother..."

He must have meant that literally...

BigRedChief
04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Some one or some couple is going to sacrifice themselves so that the others from flight 815 can live a "normal" life.

The one caveat being that they'll always have the memories of their time on the "Island" with them at all time and always be aware of that sacrifice.yeah someone has to die and sacrifice their lifes so the other 815r's can live. Sawyer is an obvious candidate since he's already done it once so I don't look for the Producers to kill him off. Maybe Kate?

irishjayhawk
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Phe-fucking-nomenal

Best episode since The Constant in season 4. Dez and Penny in that as well. Coincidence? I think not.

BigRedChief
04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Phe-****ing-nomenal

Best episode since The Constant in season 4. Dez and Penny in that as well. Coincidence? I think not.yep my favorite episode so far this season.

arrowheadnation
04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Like I said last week, timelines are starting to intermingle.

Guru
04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
interesting ep to say the least. I was getting bored until those last 10 minutes.

Silock
04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I still don't understand this show.

irishjayhawk
04-07-2010, 06:01 AM
interesting ep to say the least. I was getting bored until those last 10 minutes.

Really?

There were so many references, throwbacks, rewrites of previous LOST history that I was enthralled.

PhillyChiefFan
04-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Really?

There were so many references, throwbacks, rewrites of previous LOST history that I was enthralled.

Yea, I loved this episode. I think it was the best of the season as far as the plots coming together.

I found it interesting that Charlie and Desmond had flashes.

One thing I caught, why did Whitmore's wife not let Dez see the list? I thought immediately that maybe it was a list of future candidates. Cause Charlie was suppose to be playing, and then when Dez couldn't bring him she was very understanding....

BigRedChief
04-07-2010, 07:17 AM
interesting ep to say the least. I was getting bored until those last 10 minutes.I really enjoyed Desmond's acting this episode much like Richard's in his episode. Very well done.

Red Brooklyn
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
One thing I caught, why did Whitmore's wife not let Dez see the list? I thought immediately that maybe it was a list of future candidates. Cause Charlie was suppose to be playing, and then when Dez couldn't bring him she was very understanding....
Certainly we don't know the full scope of implications in the scene between Eloise and Des... but... I think this episode was leading us to believe that she didn't want Des to see the list because she doesn't want him to find Penny.

I have no idea why exactly, but it seems that Eloise is well aware of the alternate timeline and what it is. She even tells us there are "rules" at play. I'm fascinated by Eloise Hawking now. She was always interesting, but NOW... I need to know what she knows and HOW she knows it.

Amazing episode.

Red Brooklyn
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I really enjoyed Desmond's acting this episode much like Richard's in his episode. Very well done.
Hear, hear.

Henry is one of the best actors on the show. He was pitch perfect in last night's outting. So good to have him back.

Ari Chi3fs
04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, an absolutely killer episode.

When Desmond fainted, while at the same time awoke from his electrocution, you almost get chills.

Desmond is a missing piece to this whole thing.

So, these last couple episodes are gonna be E-P-I-C. Then I will be sad that it is done.

PhillyChiefFan
04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Certainly we don't know the full scope of implications in the scene between Eloise and Des... but... I think this episode was leading us to believe that she didn't want Des to see the list because she doesn't want him to find Penny.

I have no idea why exactly, but it seems that Eloise is well aware of the alternate timeline and what it is. She even tells us there are "rules" at play. I'm fascinated by Eloise Hawking now. She was always interesting, but NOW... I need to know what she knows and HOW she knows it.

Amazing episode.

I think you are right, I kept going back to the fact that Penny was Dez's constant when he was time travelling.

Who was Daniel Farraday's? Or was Dez just suppose to find him, and Daniel did not have a constant?

Dez is definitely putting it all together, and I think his next stop in the sideflash will be Jack.

PhillyChiefFan
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, an absolutely killer episode.

When Desmond fainted, while at the same time awoke from his electrocution, you almost get chills.

Desmond is a missing piece to this whole thing.

So, these last couple episodes are gonna be E-P-I-C. Then I will be sad that it is done.

I just hope it completes everything, and this it's not all made up in some crazy guy's head, a la Dallas or something.

I don't get the feeling like this will be, I'm really looking forward to how it's all going to end.

Chiefnj2
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm in the minority, I didn't care for it. It was too "cute" for me. Oh look Desmond works for Widmore isn't that ironic, oh Desmond and Penny are so cute together ...

Plus, they had the opportunity to kill the annoying Tina Fey character and passed on it. Inexcusable.

Brock
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Hypercritical much?

Red Brooklyn
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I think you are right, I kept going back to the fact that Penny was Dez's constant when he was time travelling.

Who was Daniel Farraday's? Or was Dez just suppose to find him, and Daniel did not have a constant?

Dez is definitely putting it all together, and I think his next stop in the sideflash will be Jack.
The whole constant thing is still a little vague... well, to me at least. :p

As I understand it, you only need a constant when your mind or consciousness time travels. The constant is the thing that grounds your mind in both timeframes so that you don't go coo-coo for coco-puffs. For Des that person was Penny.

For Faraday that person was Des. We don't have all the details but Faraday wrote something like "if anything goes wrong Desmond Hume is my constant." I don't know that we'll ever get all the details about this statement. To me it implies that Faraday was indeed experimenting on himself. I'm not sure whether or not "anything went wrong" with Faraday's experiment. Did he end up NEEDING Des to be his constant or was it a safety net? Not sure.

I really hope Jack is Des's next step. I'm ready for that dude (Jack) to step up. I'm guessing (I don't know for sure) that next week will be a Hurley episode. So, maybe Des starts with him? :thumb:

Huffmeister
04-07-2010, 10:57 AM
At the end, did anyone else get the impression that Desmond wanted to be taken to the MIB? That it was part of his (and Widmore's) 'next step'?

BigRedChief
04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
At the end, did anyone else get the impression that Desmond wanted to be taken to the MIB? That it was part of his (and Widmore's) 'next step'?of course.

Fish
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I watched this episode last night about midnight. I was fairly shitfaced, and looking back now, I can't remember much of anything in the episode. I gotta quit doing this....

PhillyChiefFan
04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
At the end, did anyone else get the impression that Desmond wanted to be taken to the MIB? That it was part of his (and Widmore's) 'next step'?

I doubt the guy who got his neck snapped saw that next step coming :D

Baby Lee
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I watched this episode last night about midnight. I was fairly shitfaced, and looking back now, I can't remember much of anything in the episode. I gotta quit doing this....

It's not the shitfaced viewing that pisses me off, it's the shitfaced erasing it from the DVR afterwards. ;)

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
There was SO much information in last night's episode that I'm having difficulty processing it all and making sense of it in the grand scheme of LOST.

1. As I alluded to after Episode One of Season Six, I think the Losties on flight 815 seem to somehow know each other. The way they looked at each other, Jack asking Desmond "Do I know you?" and now, Desmond having flashes about the Island.

2. Something isn't quite right in the Sideways. More to the point, everything is too right.

A. Jack has the relationship with his son that he wishes he had with his father.
B. John Locke has a great relationship with father and is getting married.
C. Hurley is now the "Luckiest guy in the world", unlike his real-life experience.
D. Ford is a cop hot on the trail of "Sawyer" and his partner is Miles (LaFleur).
E. Sayid is reunited with Nadia.
F. Daniel Faraday has his mother's approval as a musician.
G. Dogen has his son.
H. Charlie is still a huge rockstar.

Charlie says on flight 815 that he should be "Dead". Desmond, through Charlie, is now beginning to piece everything together and once he's been exposed to the huge burst of electromagnetism, he's willing to help out Widmore any way that he can.

What does he see? Well, he sees his life in "The Sideways" flash, which I believe really isn't a Sideways flash but something else. His entire experience, which to him felt like quite a long time, lasted only seconds. Eloise is in on the fix as well, as she states "You have everything you've ever wanted", just like all of the Lostie's mentioned above. But what Desmond saw will hopefully be revealed soon. He obviously saw his life without Penny but I think it had to be something far more than that.

Also, did anyone notice that the MRI machine sounded like the MIB as the Smoke Monster? I think that Widmore has enlisted Desmond to face and possibly kill the MIB because he can't be injured by huge blasts of electromagnetic energy.

And he's willing to follow Sayid because Sayid will lead him directly to Flocke.

Only six hours left!

Chiefnj2
04-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a feeling that in the next episode Hurley will be with Libby, but she will be the one with mental issues. I also think that a large number of the lostees will be invited to Hawking's party.

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a feeling that in the next episode Hurley will be with Libby, but she will be the one with mental issues.

She was already shown in the mental institution with Hurley way back in Season Two. I think that it would make much more sense in the Sideways if she were shown as Hurley's girlfriend, with no signs of mental instability.

I also think that a large number of the lostees will be invited to Hawking's party.

I thought of that as well but it wouldn't be shown through Desmond's eyes, as he's seen the outcome of the Sideways and is heading out on his "mission" on the Island.

CosmicPal
04-07-2010, 01:26 PM
What does he see? Well, he sees his life in "The Sideways" flash, which I believe really isn't a Sideways flash but something else. His entire experience, which to him felt like quite a long time, lasted only seconds.

I agree that his "sideways flash" may not have been a 'sideways flash" after all.

None of the others are aware of their sideways flash. Only Desmond gets to see his "what-if" life, or "past" life, or whatever it is.

I think Widmore is up to something. I think he's showing Desmond what could have been or what a wonderful world he can experience if he follows through on Widmore's orders on the island. So, he didn't experience an actual sideways flash like the others have.

That "perfect" world that Desmond entered will also provide the answers to all of his questions, resolve all conflicts, and provide him with sublime, everlasting love. Hence why he came to with a profound smile on his face and was more than willing to help out Widmore.

Chiefnj2
04-07-2010, 01:26 PM
She was already shown in the mental institution with Hurley way back in Season Two. I think that it would make much more sense in the Sideways if she were shown as Hurley's girlfriend, with no signs of mental instability.

I thought of that as well but it wouldn't be shown through Desmond's eyes, as he's seen the outcome of the Sideways and is heading out on his "mission" on the Island.

The next episode is called Everyone Loves Hugo, so I guess Hugo could be invited to the charity event since he wins 100 some odd million dollars. Jack being a prominent surgeon could be there as well, and Sawyer as some type of security detail.

CosmicPal
04-07-2010, 01:28 PM
The next episode is called Everyone Loves Hugo, so I guess Hugo could be invited to the charity event since he wins 100 some odd million dollars. Jack being a prominent surgeon could be there as well, and Sawyer as some type of security detail.

And Kate takes off with all the money. :D

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I agree that his "sideways flash" may not have been a 'sideways flash" after all.

None of the others are aware of their sideways flash. Only Desmond gets to see his "what-if" life, or "past" life, or whatever it is.

I think Widmore is up to something. I think he's showing Desmond what could have been or what a wonderful world he can experience if he follows through on Widmore's orders on the island. So, he didn't experience an actual sideways flash like the others have.

That "perfect" world that Desmond entered will also provide the answers to all of his questions, resolve all conflicts, and provide him with sublime, everlasting love. Hence why he came to with a profound smile on his face and was more than willing to help out Widmore.

I don't see it that way.

Desmond has been the only person in the series so far that's been able to pull together multiple realities.

Unlike the other rescued Losties, he chose NOT to come back to the Island (Jack, Sun, Hurley, Sayid & Kate) on his own. In this episode, he's been drugged and taken back to the Island.

What he sees after the electromagnetic pulse on the island shows him is life post 1977 nuclear explosion. Somehow, he realizes that reality is wrong and is willing to help out Widmore any way he can to make sure "The Sideways" doesn't become the one true reality.

As I stated earlier, I think he saw something that wasn't shown on-screen, which particularly motivated him to help Widmore.

arrowheadnation
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Yall gotta read this. It's a theory. Not a spoiler. This guy could have it though.

http://forum.spoilertv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17797

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Yall gotta read this. It's a theory. Not a spoiler. This guy could have it though.

That pretty much sums up everything I've been saying this season, from Desmond being the Constant to Sun losing her ability to speak English.

Red Brooklyn
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Fun theory. But it seems less likely after last night's episode.

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Fun theory. But it seems less likely after last night's episode.

Right, last night's episode negates the idea of Desmond always living a Sideways flash because he was with Penny.

But he does have a few ideas about certain characters and happenings that I agree with.

Fish
04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
It's not the shitfaced viewing that pisses me off, it's the shitfaced erasing it from the DVR afterwards. ;)

Yeah... no joke there. I do that frequently. Or I'll watch a Netflix DVD, eject it and seal the damn thing up. Then the next day or two while trying to recall the hazy memories, I realize I have no idea what I watched.

Red Brooklyn
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Right, last night's episode negates the idea of Desmond always living a Sideways flash because he was with Penny.

But he does have a few ideas about certain characters and happenings that I agree with.
Absolutely. Yes. This is exactly what I meant by my post.

Completely agree.

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 12:30 AM
New Henry Ian Cusick Interview via TV Guide
Posted by The ODI on Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Labels: Desmond, Henry Ian Cusick, TV Guide
Thanks to our friend Natalie Abrams with TV Guide for the heads up with her new interview with Henry Ian Cusick!

TVGuide.com: How does it feel knowing that Desmond is the key to everything?
Cusick: Desmond certainly is a part, but is he the key? There's not one character that is the key. There are many characters that will have to step up and do things before this is resolved. Desmond has a part to play, a significant part, but there are many others that will step up.

TVGuide.com: "Happily Ever After" was very similar to "The Constant."
Cusick: It was an interesting episode. Compared to the other Desmond-centric episodes, it wasn't so high-stakes and angsty, with Desmond running through the jungle and shouting for Penny. This was a bit slower, I thought. The Desmond in the sideways was very different from the Desmond on the island.

TVGuide.com: Would you say that Desmond is everyone's constant?
Cusick: No, I don't think that's right. In the flash-sideways, the characters are all slightly different from the characters on the island. They're all slightly hypnotized or haven't seen the truth. Like Desmond, he's slightly dead in this life. He's just a hollow corporate guy until Charlie [Dominic Monaghan] comes along. Desmond also recognizes that everyone in that sideways world there are clues when you look in the mirror when they look at their reflections, they go, "Hang on, what is reality?" They're aware something is not quite right, but they can't put a finger on it. Desmond now knows he's alive again and knows his purpose.

TVGuide.com: And now he wants to find everyone on Oceanic 815 to show them that truth.
Cusick: Yeah, at the end [of the episode], Desmond says "Where's the manifest? I need to show them something and it's going to be beautiful." When they get to see this other world, that's when their hearts will open and know what they have to do; they'll know the truth.

TVGuide.com: Based on what Desmond, Faraday (Jeremy Davies) and Charlie saw, their flashes seem to be based in love. Would you say that's a strong theme of the series?
Cusick: Yes, you're absolutely right in a sense that the driving force of Lost is love. Desmond is totally driven by love. What's interesting is how they see this other world. Charlie and Desmond both had near-death experiences and they recognized their loves. It's sort of spiritual, the thing they have to get to at the end of this, what Desmond has to do.

TVGuide.com: Since it appears that one has to almost die to see the alternate universe, does that mean everyone in the sideways universe has to die to fuse the two timelines?
Cusick: We don't know which is the real universe at the moment. We don't know which universe the show will end up in. Desmond is going to show them a glimpse of the other world and we'll see how and if they collide, and what will happen when they do.

TVGuide.com: Desmond changed his fate in the sideways universe by meeting Penny. Does the fact that he suddenly then woke up mean their fates are determined by their upcoming choices?
Cusick: Desmond says to Charlie that there's always a choice. He's only out for a very short time when he's given that electromagnetic charge, but when he comes back to the island, he is enlightened and knows exactly what his mission is. He embraces that and now knows what he has to do, so he follows Sayid [Naveen Andrews] because that is a way for him to further his mission. He's not struggling with anyone; he knows what has to be done. It's a very odd moment with Sayid, but this is the way for him to fulfill his mission.

TVGuide.com: Is Desmond claimed like Sayid and Claire (Emilie de Ravin) are?
Cusick: No, absolutely not. He's not claimed at all. It's the polar opposite. Sayid and Claire have been claimed by the Man in Black. Desmond, on the other hand, has had an epiphany. He's enlightened. He has no fear of the Man in Black.

TVGuide.com: Eloise (Fionnula Flanagan) seems like she knows what's going on in the sideways universe and even tells Desmond that he's not ready. How is it that she's conscious of this?
Cusick: She is a law unto herself. She's working on a different timeline. She always seems to know more than everyone else. She's like the oracle. If I was a fan watching it, how she seems to know wouldn't bother me just now, but hopefully these things will be addressed. She's opposed to the idea of Desmond trying to bring everyone together. She's trying to cover everyone's eyes.

TVGuide.com: What's the mission that Charles Widmore (Alan Dale) wants Des to complete?
Cusick: Widmore and Desmond are on the same mission. Basically, Widmore says if Desmond doesn't survive the electromagnetic blast, we're all going to die, so Desmond is there to help make sure that people don't die, along with a lot of others. There will be more explosions.

Buck
04-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Hey peeps.

First of all, you saying "a theory isn't a spoiler." Well, I think that some people look up the spoilers and try to connect the dots and then put them out there as theories. Thats why I haven't read any theories this year.

Also, last nights episode was awesome.

I just wish there were more than 6 episodes left (or however many there are, not sure).

Also, I was pretty pissed with the next week on lost preview showing what it did.

Michael coming back and all. It looked like he was on island too, not in the other timeline, which is weird.

Anyways, I havent come into this thread much lately because I am paranoid that it will get ruined for me. I think I may have already been spoiled on something very huge, but I'm not sure if its true or not.

Jamie
04-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Hey peeps.

First of all, you saying "a theory isn't a spoiler." Well, I think that some people look up the spoilers and try to connect the dots and then put them out there as theories. Thats why I haven't read any theories this year.

I just wish there were more than 6 episodes left (or however many there are, not sure).

Also, I was pretty pissed with the next week on lost preview showing what it did.

Michael coming back and all. It looked like he was on island too, not in the other timeline, which is weird.

Anyways, I havent come into this thread much lately because I am paranoid that it will get ruined for me. I think I may have already been spoiled on something very huge, but I'm not sure if its true or not.

Hurley sees dead people. I mean, I don't know that's what it is, but it's what I assumed.

BigRedChief
04-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Hey peeps.

Anyways, I havent come into this thread much lately because I am paranoid that it will get ruined for me. I think I may have already been spoiled on something very huge, but I'm not sure if its true or not.Posting theory's are okay. Posting on events of what has aired is okay. If its in the preview, people have seen it so its okay to discuss.

I don't think anyone has violated those unwritten rules this year. If you haven't seen the latest episode, stay out of the thread.

Mr. Plow
04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't think anyone has violated those unwritten rules this year. If you haven't seen the latest episode, stay out of the thread.

I couldn't watch this weeks episode until last night....so I stayed the hell out of here.

Great episode. Probably one of my favorites.

AndChiefs
04-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I couldn't watch this weeks episode until last night....so I stayed the hell out of here.

Great episode. Probably one of my favorites.

I agree with both points...if I haven't seen it I stay away...and I really liked the latest episode.

BigRedChief
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I couldn't watch this weeks episode until last night....so I stayed the hell out of here.Thats pretty much the unwritten rule in all these media threads.

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey peeps.

This inst a spoiler Its already known he is coming back along with everyone else except for Eko

Also it is known Hurley sees dead people no need t put that in a tag

Mr. Plow
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Someone remind me....

What happened with Eko? I seem to remember that some off set stuff lead to him being written out of the show.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey peeps.

I know what you mean, my friend. Trust me, I'm completely spoiler-free. I do watch the "next week on LOST" promoes after each episode. But that's the extent of it. Any theory I post has nothing to do what-so-ever with spoilers. Most people have been really good about not posting spoiler info. Having said that...
Its already known he is coming back along with everyone else except for Eko
This is a spoiler. Not a major one. But could you please Spoiler tag this? This information is only "known" if you seek it out. This has not been confirmed in-show. So it is a spoiler. And I didn't know that. So now I'm "spoiled." It's not major, but dude... come on. Be smart.
Someone remind me....

What happened with Eko? I seem to remember that some off set stuff lead to him being written out of the show.
The official story (as I recall) is that he had the opportunity to work on an independent film that was very close to him. A project he'd been trying to get off the ground for a while. However, it was also pretty widely reported that the actor didn't like living in Hawaii. I believe there were also some personal issues. Either a parent was sick or had just passed. Something like that. I'm sure it was some combination of those issues.

Unofficially it was reported that he didn't get along well with other cast members. Specifically Terry O'Quinn. I'm not sure if that's just pure gossip, but some outlets reported that there were personality conflicts.

Chiefnj2
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
New Henry Ian Cusick Interview via TV Guide
Posted by The ODI on Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Labels: Desmond, Henry Ian Cusick, TV Guide

TVGuide.com: Would you say that Desmond is everyone's constant?
Cusick: No, I don't think that's right. In the flash-sideways, the characters are all slightly different from the characters on the island. They're all slightly hypnotized or haven't seen the truth. Like Desmond, he's slightly dead in this life. He's just a hollow corporate guy until Charlie [Dominic Monaghan] comes along. Desmond also recognizes that everyone in that sideways world there are clues when you look in the mirror when they look at their reflections, they go, "Hang on, what is reality?" They're aware something is not quite right, but they can't put a finger on it. Desmond now knows he's alive again and knows his purpose.

TVGuide.com: And now he wants to find everyone on Oceanic 815 to show them that truth.
Cusick: Yeah, at the end [of the episode], Desmond says "Where's the manifest? I need to show them something and it's going to be beautiful." When they get to see this other world, that's when their hearts will open and know what they have to do; they'll know the truth.

TVGuide.com: Based on what Desmond, Faraday (Jeremy Davies) and Charlie saw, their flashes seem to be based in love. Would you say that's a strong theme of the series?
Cusick: Yes, you're absolutely right in a sense that the driving force of Lost is love. Desmond is totally driven by love. What's interesting is how they see this other world. Charlie and Desmond both had near-death experiences and they recognized their loves. It's sort of spiritual, the thing they have to get to at the end of this, what Desmond has to do.

TVGuide.com: Desmond changed his fate in the sideways universe by meeting Penny. Does the fact that he suddenly then woke up mean their fates are determined by their upcoming choices?
Cusick: Desmond says to Charlie that there's always a choice. He's only out for a very short time when he's given that electromagnetic charge, but when he comes back to the island, he is enlightened and knows exactly what his mission is. He embraces that and now knows what he has to do, so he follows Sayid [Naveen Andrews] because that is a way for him to further his mission. He's not struggling with anyone; he knows what has to be done. It's a very odd moment with Sayid, but this is the way for him to fulfill his mission.

TVGuide.com: Is Desmond claimed like Sayid and Claire (Emilie de Ravin) are?
Cusick: No, absolutely not. He's not claimed at all. It's the polar opposite. Sayid and Claire have been claimed by the Man in Black. Desmond, on the other hand, has had an epiphany. He's enlightened. He has no fear of the Man in Black.

TVGuide.com: Eloise (Fionnula Flanagan) seems like she knows what's going on in the sideways universe and even tells Desmond that he's not ready. How is it that she's conscious of this?
Cusick: She is a law unto herself. She's working on a different timeline. She always seems to know more than everyone else. She's like the oracle. If I was a fan watching it, how she seems to know wouldn't bother me just now, but hopefully these things will be addressed. She's opposed to the idea of Desmond trying to bring everyone together. She's trying to cover everyone's eyes.

TVGuide.com: What's the mission that Charles Widmore (Alan Dale) wants Des to complete?
Cusick: Widmore and Desmond are on the same mission. Basically, Widmore says if Desmond doesn't survive the electromagnetic blast, we're all going to die, so Desmond is there to help make sure that people don't die, along with a lot of others. There will be more explosions.

That's a really interesting interview and quite enlightening. A lot of people have been saying that the ALT timeline characters are "better off" than the real timeline, but Cusick seems to think the ALT people are "slightly dead" and "hypnotized".

Buck
04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
This inst a spoiler Its already known he is coming back along with everyone else except for Eko

Also it is known Hurley sees dead people no need t put that in a tag

JFC thanks man.

See this is why I've avoided this thread all along.

That Eko thing is a spoiler FUCK. Retard.

Mr. Plow
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
JFC thanks man.

You thought Eko was coming back? I thought it was known for awhile (seasons) that he wouldn't be back on the show ever. Maybe I just made the assumption.

Huffmeister
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
JFC thanks man.

That Eko thing is a spoiler ****. Retard.

If this is why you avoided it, why did you come back? You're waaaaay too sensitive about spoilers.

Buck
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
You thought Eko was coming back? I thought it was known for awhile (seasons) that he wouldn't be back on the show ever. Maybe I just made the assumption.

I herd rumors he wanted to come back during the season 5 - season 6 break.

Either way casting in future episodes is spoilers, hence my spoiler tag earlier.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Speaking of parallel dimensions.... :)

Forget LOST, this is the future of television.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/kecks-exclusives/a-lost-lockeben-spin-off-4182.html

I would. The whole thing. Yes, please.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I herd rumors he wanted to come back during the season 5 - season 6 break.

Either way casting in future episodes is spoilers, hence my spoiler tag earlier.
Exactly.

I'm a little bummed about dude's post. But, it's pretty minor. If that's all that gets spoiled, I'll be okay. I hadn't even heart rumours of Eko coming back. Would have been cool, though. Maybe he still will and it's ultra-top secret?

:)

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Exactly.

I'm a little bummed about dude's post. But, it's pretty minor. If that's all that gets spoiled, I'll be okay. I hadn't even heart rumours of Eko coming back. Would have been cool, though. Maybe he still will and it's ultra-top secret?

:)

It's not a spoiler. On top of that they showed him in the previews for next weeks show with him talking to Hurley. So no it's not a spoiler

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
JFC thanks man.

Yeah Dude, I'd avoid this thread altogether if I were you.

I don't want to be "spoiled" in any way, shape or form, but I DO enjoy posting my theories and observations. I think it's probably safer for you to stay away until after the season finale.

I'd seriously advocate banning someone that truly spoiled the finale.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
It's not a spoiler. On top of that they showed him in the previews for next weeks show with him talking to Hurley. So no it's not a spoiler
Technically speaking, previews are "spoilers." However, I'll give you that one because I don't treat them as spoilers. So, yes. Michael's appearence is not a spoiler.

I wasn't talking about that part of your post. I was referring to the rest of what you posted. That information IS ABSOLUTELY Spoiler info. But, again, it's minor. I'd just say be careful in the future. Not everyone reads interviews and articles about the show.

Brock
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM

If people are telling you it's a spoiler, it's a fucking spoiler. Use the spoiler tag, dumbass.

Chiefnj2
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
A preview shown at the end of the show is not a spoiler.

Dartgod
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Are you people seriously getting butt hurt because someone posted that Eko is not going to be on any future episodes? JFC ROFL

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
If people are telling you it's a spoiler, it's a fucking spoiler. Use the spoiler tag, dumbass.

Bro calm down. No use in having your period over this. Just calm down

First it wasn't a spoiler. People say it's not a spoiler. So it's not one.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
First it wasn't a spoiler. People say it's not a spoiler. So it's not one.
Let me break it down for you. Just so you can understand for future reference.
This inst a spoiler Its already known he is coming back
This is not "technically" a spoiler. Because of the preview following the most recent episode. In all fairness, previews ARE spoilers because they give away information (no matter how trivial) about an episode that hasn't aired yet. Some people don't want ANY info about an episode before it airs, and refuse to watch previews. However, MOST people do watch previews and don't consider the info in them to be "spoilers." So mentioning that Mike will be in the next episode, though technically a spoiler, is fair game. At least as far as I'm concerned. No big deal. HOWEVER -
along with everyone else except for Eko
This IS a spoiler. THIS is where people are taking issue. Please don't post info like this in the future (unless it's spoiler tagged). That's all we're talking about.

Thanks.

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Let me break it down for you. Just so you can understand for future reference.

This is not "technically" a spoiler. Because of the preview following the most recent episode. In all fairness, previews ARE spoilers because they give away information (no matter how trivial) about an episode that hasn't aired yet. Some people don't want ANY info about an episode before it airs, and refuse to watch previews. However, MOST people do watch previews and don't consider the info in them to be "spoilers." So mentioning that Mike will be in the next episode, though technically a spoiler, is fair game. At least as far as I'm concerned. No big deal. HOWEVER -

This IS a spoiler. THIS is where people are taking issue. Please don't post info like this in the future (unless it's spoiler tagged). That's all we're talking about.

Thanks.

First calm down. If you have such a issue avoid this thread. I have been on this thread along with many others since the begining. We have always posted like this. Just because 2 people are upset as well we've been doing this since the begining nothing us going to change. I'm sorry.

If you want to start a spoilerfree thread you have every right nothing is stopping you. Then you don't have to be afraid that you might be spoiled simple

Guru
04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Buck, you need to just stay the hell out of this thread. You are way to sensitive to what everyone else posts. I'm not trying to be a douche to you but it is kind of annoying that lately, most times you come in here, you gripe about something someone has posted.

Everyone knows that there is a possibility of that happening in this thread and accepts it.

If you are going to take the risk of viewing this thread, you need to accept it too.

Guru
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
First calm down. If you have such a issue avoid this thread. I have been on this thread along with many others since the begining. We have always posted like this. Just because 2 people are upset as well we've been doing this since the begining nothing us going to change. I'm sorry.

If you want to start a spoilerfree thread you have every right nothing is stopping you. Then you don't have to be afraid that you might be spoiled simpleTHIS.

There have been much bigger spoilers in this thread than this minor ekko thing. And yes, it is minor. Minuscule.

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Okay. Wow.

1. Not upset. I don't need to "calm down." I'm fine actually.
2. I've already said I didn't think it was a big deal.
3. I thought this WAS a spoiler free thread.
4. I've posted similiar things and I've been warned and/or asked to put them spoiler tags.
5. I'm not saying don't post comments like these. I'm just asking that if you could please IN THE FUTURE put those kinds of comments in a spoiler tag, I would appreciate it. Isn't that why we have spoiler tags? I guess I'm confused.
6. I'm not afraid of this thread. I've been posting in it for a long time as well, and this is the first time I've EVER asked someone to put a tag on anything. Again, not because it has ruined anything for me, but because it's just curtious. That's all.
7. I can't speak for other posters, but I'm certainly not "butt hurt" (colorful and immature as that phrase is) about this little, tiny, minor, almost irrelevant, (practically non) spoiler.
8. I hope that clears things up.

I aint mad attcha, Grover. Just so we're clear. And if I'm wrong and this IS a complete spoiler thread where we're free to talk about all aspects of the show, I apologize. I misuderstood.

KingPriest2
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Okay. Wow.

1. Not upset. I don't need to "calm down." I'm fine actually.
2. I've already said I didn't think it was a big deal.
3. I thought this WAS a spoiler free thread.
4. I've posted similiar things and I've been warned and/or asked to put them spoiler tags.
5. I'm not saying don't post comments like these. I'm just asking that if you could please IN THE FUTURE put those kinds of comments in a spoiler tag, I would appreciate it. Isn't that why we have spoiler tags? I guess I'm confused.
6. I'm not afraid of this thread. I've been posting in it for a long time as well, and this is the first time I've EVER asked someone to put a tag on anything. Again, not because it has ruined anything for me, but because it's just curtious. That's all.
7. I can't speak for other posters, but I'm certainly not "butt hurt" (colorful and immature as that phrase is) about this little, tiny, minor, almost irrelevant, (practically non) spoiler.
8. I hope that clears things up.

I aint mad attcha, Grover. Just so we're clear. And if I'm wrong and this IS a complete spoiler thread where we're free to talk about all aspects of the show, I apologize. I misuderstood.

Your cool no worries I was basically talking more about the other guy If its a spoiler that could affect peoples viewing I will ( as before) be careful with it Youve been warned before? If I had it the past it was maybe once or twice warned that is But right now I cant rem if i was or not I dont think I was

Red Brooklyn
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Cool, man. I didn't mean to cause any friction. It's all good brotha.

Third Eye
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I avoid spoilers like the plague, but I thought the Eko thing was common knowledge.

patteeu
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
THIS.

There have been much bigger spoilers in this thread than this minor ekko thing. And yes, it is minor. Minuscule.

Ditto

cookster50
04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
And Kate takes off all her clothes. :D
FYP

Huffmeister
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
There have been much bigger spoilers in this thread than this minor ekko thing.
Dude! I was going to go back and read this thread from the beginning! Thanks for spoiling it.

:Poke:

OmahaChief
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I avoid spoilers like the plague, but I thought the Eko thing was common knowledge.

It should be to anyone that follows the show. The fact he was never coming back has been all over the net since he left the show.

Red Brooklyn
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes. But this is bigger than Eko too. I actually had hear the opposite (and thought that was a massive spoiler) that Eko was in fact returning.

But there are other characters that we haven't heard about. Grovers post seems to confirm that not only is Eko not returning but the other actors/characters (that had been '?' until now) ARE returning. And that is a bit of a spoiler.

Again, it's not that big of a deal. This whole thing has gotten much bigger than it should have. That's partly my fault. I apologize. It really doesn't matter. But some people don't know who's scheduled to return to the show.

The previous post let's us know that everyone but Eko will be back (this means Libby, Walt, Ana Lucia, Shannon, etc). For people who try to avoid that kind of information, I can see why they'd feel "spoiled." But again, there's no context. We don't know when/how they will return. So, it's really not a big deal. I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry.

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
The previous post let's us know that everyone but Eko will be back (this means Libby, Walt, Ana Lucia, Shannon, etc). For people who try to avoid that kind of information, I can see why they'd feel "spoiled." But again, there's no context. We don't know when/how they will return. So, it's really not a big deal. I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry.

None of that is a "spoiler". There are interviews all over the internet with Cuse & Lindelof where they've stated that Libby, Ana Lucia, Shannon, Michael & Walt return in some form.

We're not responsible in this thread for hiding what is known as "Common Knowledge". Anyone and everyone has access to Entertainment Weekly, along E!, Us & People magazines. If discussing what's been printed in weekly rags is considered a "spoiler" by people following this thread, I'd say stay away at all costs.

FTR, a "spoiler" IMO is something that isn't revealed to the general public, ie, "inside information", info from people who have access to the scripts and dailies, etc.

Not People magazine.

patteeu
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
None of that is a "spoiler". There are interviews all over the internet with Cuse & Lindelof where they've stated that Libby, Ana Lucia, Shannon, Michael & Walt return in some form.

We're not responsible in this thread for hiding what is known as "Common Knowledge". Anyone and everyone has access to Entertainment Weekly, along E!, Us & People magazines. If discussing what's been printed in weekly rags is considered a "spoiler" by people following this thread, I'd say stay away at all costs.

FTR, a "spoiler" IMO is something that isn't revealed to the general public, ie, "inside information", info from people who have access to the scripts and dailies, etc.

Not People magazine.

Good definition. :thumb:

Red Brooklyn
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I like that definition, Dane. I'm cool with that.

I post on a lot of non-spoiler LOST boards. On those boards, even previews are spoilers. Anything that is not info provided by the show itself is a spoiler. So, when I post here, I've adheared to that standard because I'm used to it other places. That's why I considered this info to be a minor spoiler.

I understand both sides of the argument, and now that I know what the standard is here, I'll be sure read at my own risk and post in accordance with this board's guidelines.

I haven't read the interviews/articles in EW, People, etc... for this very reason. I like to be surprised when a familiar face pops up and I wasn't expecting it. But it certainly hasn't ruined my enjoyment of the show to know that "everyone" will be back. I actually think it's kind of cool to know that. Gives me something to keep in the back of my mind and look forward to.

Again, I misuderstood the expectations on this board. I got them confused with the standards elsewhere. Now that I know the drill, I'll be a more responsible poster.

Guru
04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Dude! I was going to go back and read this thread from the beginning! Thanks for spoiling it.

:Poke:ROFL

KingPriest2
04-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Not People magazine.

I like this

KingPriest2
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I like that definition, Dane. I'm cool with that.

I post on a lot of non-spoiler LOST boards. On those boards, even previews are spoilers. Anything that is not info provided by the show itself is a spoiler. So, when I post here, I've adheared to that standard because I'm used to it other places. That's why I considered this info to be a minor spoiler.

I understand both sides of the argument, and now that I know what the standard is here, I'll be sure read at my own risk and post in accordance with this board's guidelines.

I haven't read the interviews/articles in EW, People, etc... for this very reason. I like to be surprised when a familiar face pops up and I wasn't expecting it. But it certainly hasn't ruined my enjoyment of the show to know that "everyone" will be back. I actually think it's kind of cool to know that. Gives me something to keep in the back of my mind and look forward to.

Again, I misuderstood the expectations on this board. I got them confused with the standards elsewhere. Now that I know the drill, I'll be a more responsible poster.

YOur cool

Fish
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Damn... can we STFU about spoilers and talk about Lost again?

Red Brooklyn
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Damn... can we STFU about spoilers and talk about Lost again?
:clap:

Deal.

So who else thinks Vincent the dog is really a time travelling, reincarnated Aaron?

Guru
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Damn... can we STFU about spoilers and talk about Lost again?But why? This is so much more fun.:D

Baby Lee
04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Greg Gunberg has a major part on 'Heroes.' May not be integral to remainder of show.

Guru
04-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Greg Gunberg has a major part on 'Heroes.' May not be integral to remainder of show.He will always be Weiss to me

BigRedChief
04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Damn... can we STFU about spoilers and talk about Lost again?No chit only one person and the n00bs have any issues with the unwritten rules in here. Nothings changed. Sometimes you have n00bs or individuals slip up but no matter what everyone agrees to you will have slip ups.

Red Brooklyn
04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
For.... The.... WIN!

Wow.

Frazod
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
For.... The.... WIN!

Wow.

THIS!

This just gets better and more intense by the week. I almost wish I'd waited until May so I could watch the whole thing and not have to wait between episodes.

Guru
04-13-2010, 11:35 PM
What the hell was up with Jack at the end? Does he see something other than Locke?

arrowheadnation
04-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Alternate reality Desmond is rounding them up...a la Jacob.

I don't know who the creepy jungle boy is but I don't think he's a normal human and he seems to aggravate Flocke when he's around. He also kind of gave a "our savior is back" grin when he saw Desmond in the jungle.

Chiefnj2
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Finally a good episode. There will be lots to dissect such as paintings and drawing up on the wall in the institution. We began to get answers about the whispers (although I hope that is only the beginning and not complete explanation). I liked the fact that the sideways timeline involved more than one character.

I liked Ben's line about the Island being done with Illiana, but didn't like the fact that the show introduces new characters and then just dismisses and kills them off after no real major role (a majority of the tail section).

cookster50
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Man, if I was the actress playing Libby, I'd be pissed at how horrendous she looked in all her closeups. Makeup anyone?

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Man, if I was the actress playing Libby, I'd be pissed at how horrendous she looked in all her closeups. Makeup anyone?I'd still hit it :thumb:

oldandslow
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
The Desmond epi and the Hurley epi back to back were two of the best hours of tv I have seen in a long time. Entertaining while giving you tons to think about.

Desmond running over Locke was something I didn't expect.

What Jack saw should be the title of the next episode. wow.

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
What the hell was up with Jack at the end? Does he see something other than Locke?
Not sure. But it could be as simple as this is the first time Jack has seen "Locke" alive. Last time Jack saw him, Locke was in a coffin. Maybe his mind is just blown.

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Alternate reality Desmond is rounding them up...a la Jacob.

I don't know who the creepy jungle boy is but I don't think he's a normal human and he seems to aggravate Flocke when he's around. He also kind of gave a "our savior is back" grin when he saw Desmond in the jungle.
Was that the same boy from before? His hair looked darker, and he looked like he may have been a bit older... but, yeah. This kid's becoming the prominent 11th hour mystery on the show. :)

Brock
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Is the boy some kind of reincarnated Jacob?

Frazod
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Is the boy some kind of reincarnated Jacob?

That was my first thought.

Locke/Smokey seems to be either losing his composure or just caring less about the whole benevolent facade thing. I am definitely sensing some frustration, though.

I'm still kind of bummed about Sayid basically turning into his Igor.

Brock
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm still kind of bummed about Sayid basically turning into his Igor.

I can't imagine Sayid and Claire not being redeemed somehow before this is all over.

Frazod
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I can't imagine Sayid and Claire not being redeemed somehow before this is all over.

Is Claire still Claire? I mean, did she just get pissed and go nuts, or did she also die and get possessed by some evil entity?

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Is Claire still Claire? I mean, did she just get pissed and go nuts, or did she also die and get possessed by some evil entity?
Good question. I think based on what we saw with Sayid, we are supposed to believe that Claire died in the barracks explosion and has undergone the same change.

Frazod
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Good question. I think based on what we saw with Sayid, we are supposed to believe that Claire died in the barracks explosion and has undergone the same change.

Or maybe she was just like Rousseau (lost kid/isolated/went batshit), but strayed toward the dark side as a result of Smokey's influence?

I guess we'll find out eventually.

Maybe.

:banghead:

Mr. Plow
04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
How many episodes left? 4 plus 2 hour finale?

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
yep.

The Rick
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Desmond running over Locke was something I didn't expect.
Think he was trying to kill him, or "wake him up" by emulating the conditions of the plane crash on the island. Meaning, do you think Locke will get up and be able to walk now? :hmmm:

Brock
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I think he tried to kill Locke, because Locke is dead.

The Rick
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I think he tried to kill Locke, because Locke is dead.Just seems like there would be much better ways of doing it. He didn't even stick around to make sure he was dead...

Frazod
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I think he tried to kill Locke, because Locke is dead.

Either that or he resented his parallel universe self getting dropped down a well. :D

Chiefnj2
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Didn't the "island" guide Michael to blow up the freighter? Why would he be in island purgatory if he listened to the island? Who else is in purgatory on the god forsaken rock?

BigRedChief
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Didn't the "island" guide Michael to blow up the freighter? Why would he be in island purgatory if he listened to the island? Who else is in purgatory on the god forsaken rock?fuk him. He killed a hot babe and Hurley's GF to save his own azz. He deserves nothing but purgatory.

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Think he was trying to kill him, or "wake him up" by emulating the conditions of the plane crash on the island. Meaning, do you think Locke will get up and be able to walk now? :hmmm:
Lots of good theories in this thread... I like a lot of what is being thrown around.

I'm not sure if he was trying to emulate the conditions of the crash, but I do think he was trying to give Locke a near death experience. Charlie revealed the alt to Des by giving him a near death experience. I think Des was doing the same for Locke.

I also have a feeling Mr. Locke will now end up at a certain hospital where a certain Dr. Shephard works. I also have a feeling a certain wounded Asian woman and her boyfriend may end up in that same certain hospital.

Des may be able to kill several birds with one stone.

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Didn't the "island" guide Michael to blow up the freighter? Why would he be in island purgatory if he listened to the island? Who else is in purgatory on the god forsaken rock?
The island is done with him, which allowed him to die. However, his spirit can't rest because of what he did to Libby & Ana Lucia as well as, I believe, his unresolved relationship with Walt.

I'm not sure island purgatory has much to do with listening to the island. I think those are separate issues. Could be wrong...

Huffmeister
04-14-2010, 02:08 PM
One thing I didn't quite understand was why Dr. Marvin Candle (or whatever his real name is) looked the same age in the alt timeline as he did in 1977. Deep significance? Or was the actor just thrown in as another way to link the two timelines together for the audience?

Fish
04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I have to admit I laughed a good hardy laugh when Illiana blew herself up.... Great unexpected moment there...

Red Brooklyn
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
One thing I didn't quite understand was why Dr. Marvin Candle (or whatever his real name is) looked the same age in the alt timeline as he did in 1977. Deep significance? Or was the actor just thrown in as another way to link the two timelines together for the audience?
I think they were just linking the timelines. Probably no deeper significance. But who the hell knows for sure with this show. :)

Frazod
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I have to admit I laughed a good hardy laugh when Illiana blew herself up.... Great unexpected moment there...

That sucked. She was hot as hell. :sulk:

BigRedChief
04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
That sucked. She was hot as hell. :sulk:No chit. We need some Freckles in a wet T-Shirt time now.

Frazod
04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
No chit. We need some Freckles in a wet T-Shirt time now.

I'd settle for her and Claire in a jello-wrestling cage match over Aaron. Hair pulling/garment ripping is, of course, encouraged. I assume Hurley has a hidden stash of Dharma jello somewhere. :)

Guru
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Man, if I was the actress playing Libby, I'd be pissed at how horrendous she looked in all her closeups. Makeup anyone?I was thinking the same. they made her look horrible.

Not sure. But it could be as simple as this is the first time Jack has seen "Locke" alive. Last time Jack saw him, Locke was in a coffin. Maybe his mind is just blown.
I guess, but he knew he was going to see Locke. There is something more up there. When Locke said "Hello Jack" it was like he was in on a little secret. It was menacing as hell.

I think there is something more to it than just being the first time Jack saw Locke since his death.

I really want to know why Dez tried to kill Locke in the alt.

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I really want to know why Dez tried to kill Locke in the alt.

Maybe because Dez can communicate with his alternate reality consciousness and if so, killing Locke would mean that Ben couldn't kill him and bring him back to the island to lead a war against Widmore.