PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Official "Lost" the series discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Dartgod
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Oh my god where to begin first jack dad messed up the operation before he found out about the baby then ethen fighting jack and now they found a piece of metal in the middle of nowhere. wow
You left out Hurley losing $20,000 to the kid playing backgammon. Wow!

Deberg_1990
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
You left out Hurley losing $20,000 to the kid playing backgammon. Wow!

I liked the Saywer/Sayiid encounter as well.

Bearcat
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Damn, I thought Charlie bought the farm there.

I forget the old adage about primary characters never getting killed in shows like this.

Charlie's not a redshirt. :D

I was floored when he first gave up... Gawd, they're really going to let him die! .....but the second he acted like he was going to try again, I knew he'd come back.

I guess having an underground hideout would explain why there seems to be voices, but no one can see who's making the noise :shrug: Sounds kind of farfetched, so who knows....

So..... I got up, but when I came back they were talking about watching previous episodes.... does that mean no new show next week? I actually didn't see the first one, and I have a feeling it'll be like watching the Sixth Sense for a second time for those who saw it...... and watching the first "Jack" episode would be cool, too.

But I want a new show, too
:deevee:

Deberg_1990
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I was floored when he first gave up... Gawd, they're really going to let him die! .....but the second he acted like he was going to try again, I knew he'd come back.

I guess having an underground hideout would explain why there seems to be voices, but no one can see who's making the noise :shrug: Sounds kind of farfetched, so who knows....

So..... I got up, but when I came back they were talking about watching previous episodes.... does that mean no new show next week? I actually didn't see the first one, and I have a feeling it'll be like watching the Sixth Sense for a second time for those who saw it...... and watching the first "Jack" episode would be cool, too.

But I want a new show, too
:deevee:

No new show until 2005...sigh..

chiefsfan987
12-08-2004, 10:23 PM
am I the only dork who has recorded every single episode? This show just has got me hooked like no other show I've ever watched. With no new episodes until January, I guess I'll start from the beginning and work my way back until the new shows start. Maybe I'll catch a few things I missed in the earlier episodes.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah they are showing the first two episodes back to back next Wednesday. Good thing, because I wasnt really sure if I was gonna watch it back then or not and just casually caught the first episode. I never even got to see the polar bears.

Man that was wicked when Charlie was hanging from the tree. But if (*IT) was willing to kill Charlie why not
take out Doc when he had him down in the water?

What is that METAL? PART OF A SPACE SHIP, I kind of hope not.

Oh well great show as usual..............

Rausch
12-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Has anyone else noticed that only 2 people have died on the island, and that's because they "wanted" to?

The drowning woman (gave up) and the fed who off'd himself?

The handicapped guy walks, Doc's dad isn't in his coffin. The druggie doesn't have any withdrawls after he CHOOSES to quit the powder.

:hmmm:

big nasty kcnut
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Charlie withdrawls is not there because jack helping him get off it.

Rausch
12-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Charlie withdrawls is not there because jack helping him get off it.

You don't just kick something like that.

Fairplay
12-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I will bump this thread up because a rerun of the very popular tv series Lost is on tonight. Thats right the pilot of the show is on tonight for an 90 minutes. Excellent series, im not sure if i can recommend to those who have not been watching to start. Seems like so much has gone on that to pick up on it now might leave you..shall we say..lost?

Unfortunately, another good show is on tonight for any of us Seinfield fans called "The Seinfield story." Also scouting the channels for those with smaller ones there are some christmas programs on tonight on ABC Family channel. What a fun filled night on television. Primarely i will be watching Lost though.

Fairplay
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
And minutes away from showtime.............

Bearcat
12-16-2004, 07:14 AM
I had seen all the episodes since the third (well, and I had seen the second half of the pilot), so I was cool to finally see how it started..... what sparked Jack & Kate, the almost-embrace of the two after the monster ordeal, the original argument between Sawyer and Sayid, how much more of an ass Sawyer was at the beginning, all of the conveniently placed characters on the plane during the flashbacks... and then of course the polar bear & the first part of the French woman's distress signal..... seeing how the Chinese woman reacts to English knowing that she understands it.... and there's probably more.

Guess they're showing the 3rd & 4th ones next week. But I've already seen those :deevee:

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Lost in TV's shallows? 'Lost' drama provides metaphorical depth
Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Y ou don't have to study philosophy to appreciate "Lost," ABC's fantastic new drama about the spooky desert island travails of the survivors of a plane crash.

Advertisement

Go ahead and thrill to its potent mix of action and mystery. Ponder the characters' lives and the secrets they've brought to their accidental home. Get a charge from its sly humor, and keep track of its many cultural references. ("Star Trek," VH1 and the title of a fairly obscure Pete Townshend solo album from 1983 played a part in the most recent episode.)

But if you really get into it, you should at some point consider the connections between survivor John Locke, a paraplegic until he rose, literally, from the flames of the wrecked airliner, and the 17th-century philosopher who shares his name and, as it turns out, a few fundamental ideas about pre-social man.

Like the show itself, this will leave you with plenty of loose ends to tie together. The moment you think you get it, the next episode will change everything. And that will only make it all seem cooler.

Have you missed "Lost" so far? No problem. ABC repeats the two-hour pilot tonight, followed by several weeks of repeats.

So this is the perfect time to get up to speed. Or, even if you've seen every episode, an excellent time to go back and look for what clues you might have missed the first time around. Either way, let's consider seven fundamental questions regarding "Lost." How did they get so lost? The central characters were passengers on a flight from Australia to Los Angeles, which ran into some turbulence powerful enough to rip the whole tail section off the plane. The wounded plane crash-landed on the beach of a remote island in the South Pacific, which, the 40-odd survivors learn from a (briefly) surviving pilot, is so far from the plane's original course (something to do with malfunctioning electronics gear) that the nearest search party will probably be a thousand miles away. Does any of this make sense? Not literally, no. The author of the "Ask the Pilot" column at Salon.com has already debunked the "Lost" crash sequence for its vast array of factual impossibilities. But this is a show on which a polar bear can and will stampede through the verdant tropical jungle like a bat out of Hades. And that's before things get truly strange. Why should I care? Because once its setting and core mysteries are established, "Lost" combines flashbacks, snatches of dialogue and moments of action on the island to give its characters incredible emotional depth. What we begin to understand is that all of them were, in some spiritual way, lost before they even set foot on that doomed airplane.

In other words, the mysteries they confront are both physical (see also: the polar bear; that creepy Ethan guy) and metaphorical. Are you, perhaps, over-interpreting here? No, blast it all. Consider Dr. Jack, whose natural skill as a leader (his super-competence, his emotional detachment, his need to prove himself over and over again) is so clearly fueled by his tempestuous relationship with the father whose alcohol-related death prompted his trip to Australia. Or Sayid, the former Iraqi soldier still reeling with guilt for the crimes he committed while working for Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard. Or Charlie, the faded rock star who had long since traded his love for music for the temptations of fame and drugs. Or Kate, the lovely fugitive who wore shackles on the plane and who hasn't even begun to explain why the marshal guarding her spent his final breaths warning Jack to be afraid, very afraid, of her.

And those are just a few examples. Every character, it seems, was propelled onto that airplane by forces of destiny and desire that are just as recognizably human as they are beyond any human's control. OK, that's fascinating. Yes, exactly. And this is where "Lost" departs from virtually every other fantasy/adventure show. For while it's one thing to invent a spooky island stocked richly with unfathomable creatures and inexplicable human presences, it's another thing to elevate it all into a metaphor for the everyday mysteries, horrors and wonders of life in the real world. What about this Locke guy? He's not one of the marquee stars: You're not going to find his bald, middle-aged visage on the cover of TV Guide or in the middle of a love triangle. But the hunter is the key to everything on "Lost," because he's the one character with a visceral understanding of the island's transcendent possibilities. Indeed, Locke is not just an accomplished tracker and hunter, but he also has astonishing insight into everything from the ever-shifting weather to the magical properties of the jungle itself.

Locke's mastery of the island's physical world is all the more striking when you realize (courtesy of a flashback story in the fourth episode) that he was bound to a wheelchair before the plane crashed. Which brings us to . . . yes, that's right, the connection between John Locke, the formerly paralyzed outdoorsman, and John Locke, the 17th-century-philosopher. Locke-the-hunter is the personification of Locke-the-philosopher's belief in the human as tabula rasa, or a blank slate that is filled entirely by what it experiences via its five senses and its powers of reflection.

Thus, the crash becomes a kind of birth process, and the survivors, a newly born community personifying Locke's pre-social man, naturally coalesce into a civil society pursuing their mutual interest in life, health and liberty.

What lurks in the primeval jungle, the thing that growls and roars and whispers and taunts, may be a monster or a ghost. But it's the kind that lurks just outside every outpost of human civilization, or within the darker corners of us all. It's the grim world Thomas Hobbes described as solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Which is why "Lost" is the best drama on broadcast TV, and one of the four or five best shows on the whole dial. The more closely you look at it, the more you'll find.

Bob Dole
12-16-2004, 10:47 AM

Bearcat
12-16-2004, 11:02 AM

Fairplay
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
After what was a seemingly long hiatus (one week) the series is back with a long awaited episode. Now before you read what is posted below and say hummph to it, the animal part im refering to. Please note that the producers and writers have said that there is a logical explaination to this story. If you read the postings in this thread you could read some various theories on the subject, among others about what is happening on the island.

Should be a great episode as always.

Lost
ABC Dec 22 08:00pm Add to My Calendar
Series/Drama, 60 Mins.
"Walkabout"
Wild beasts invade the survivors' beach encampment in the middle of the night; a secret is revealed about the mysterious Locke.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2004, 07:34 PM
After what was a seemingly long hiatus (one week) the series is back with a long awaited episode. Now before you read what is posted below and say hummph to it, the animal part im refering to. Please note that the producers and writers have said that there is a logical explaination to this story. If you read the postings in this thread you could read some various theories on the subject, among others about what is happening on the island.

Should be a great episode as always.

Lost
ABC Dec 22 08:00pm Add to My Calendar
Series/Drama, 60 Mins.
"Walkabout"
Wild beasts invade the survivors' beach encampment in the middle of the night; a secret is revealed about the mysterious Locke.

This episode is a repeat.

Bearcat
01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
A new Lost tonight at 7 PBJ

(KU/aTm at 8) PBJ

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Yep! First "Fresh" episode of Lost we have had in a month. You can bet ill be watching!!

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Burly Hurley of 'Lost' Gets Cryptic
(Tuesday, January 04 04:00 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The plucky survivors of ABC's "Lost" could serve as a casebook for how most people would respond to being stranded on a deserted (and mysterious) island. Some folks would be as handy and altruistic as Matthew Fox's Jack or as malevolently resourceful as Josh Holloway's Sawyer. Few of us would show the eerie mastery of Terry O'Quinn's Locke, but the reluctant brattiness of Maggie Grace's Shannon would probably be in abundance. For most viewers, though, emulating Jorge Garcia's Hurley would be the best of all possible worlds.
Like the subject of Rudyard Kipling's "If," Hurley has kept his head when all about him are losing theirs. Like that poem's ideal hero, he doesn't necessarily look too good nor talk too wise, but on the fractious island, he's a friend to all and an enemy to none, a gentle giant perfectly willing to do hard labor, deskwork or even invent a liberating game of island golf. It's no wonder that Fox and Holloway and Evangline Lilly may get the press, Garcia has broken out as one of the show's most popular stars.

"I feel like suddenly I get a bit better customer service, where people are more anxious to help me," Garcia says of his public reception. "Usually when people spot me, they're really happy to see me."

While the other characters on "Lost" constantly appear grimy and miserable, stressed out and on the verge of giving up, Hurley always just seems happy to be alive. He's quick with a joke, the only castway who could possibly be described as happy-go-lucky. Garcia seems to be the same way. The 25-year-old actor arrived at auditions for "Lost" before the character of Hurley even existed and found himself reading pages for Sawyer. Even once producers assured him that his character would exist and that there copies of the pilot script were available, the actor wasn't in any kind of rush to see how many lines he got or whether he'd get to have any big emotional moments. Most familiar from comedic work on "Becker" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Garcia had all the information he needed.
"I had faith in J.J. Abrams and shooting in Hawaii and that was pretty much all I needed to hear," he laughs.

For the first half of the shooting schedule, production has just been wish fulfillment for the Nebraska-born actor.

"I love what I've gotten to do so far," he says. "The whole thing where I ran away from the plane and it exploded behind me and we dove out in the sand, very action star-ish, I thought that was awesome. That's not something I really expected that I would get to do in my career."

Garcia notes, "Really all I need is a sword fight and I'll be totally satisfied."

Viewers, however, are far from satisfied with the mere snippets of knowledge they've received about the life of Hugo Reyes. While certain characters, including Fox's Jack, have already had multiple episodes dedicated to their backstories, Hurley has gone entirely unexplained, barring some cryptic hints. That won't change until the season's 18th hour, an episode which hasn't even been shot yet. Garcia, in fact, hasn't even seen a script, though the producers have let him in on the character's "big secret." Whatever that secret may be, Garcia isn't telling.

"Because there were hints laid out, I kinda had an idea that it was coming from here," he hedges, revealing nothing of his backstory. "And then when I really stepped back and looked at it in the context of who Hurley has been up to this point, with the group, and that coming out in his revelation. Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool."

On the Internet, wags have been speculating for weeks over a perplexing line of dialogue where Hurley refers to his normal life by saying, "I'm known as something of a warrior myself," a statement that has prompted buzz that Hurley could be everything from an extremely large undercover spy to an extremely dedicated Dungeons and Dragons player.

"There are certain things where you never realize what exactly the audience is going to jump on and really wonder about and catch," Garcia says of his "warrior" comment. "I didn't give that one too much attention and then I realized the attention it got on the Internet. So it made me wonder, 'Yeah, actually I wonder what that is.'"

He adds that in the script, the character smiles after making the statement, but the camera never cut back to his face.

More than just an actor on "Lost," Garcia is a fan, prone to making his own wild guesses about different parts of the complicated plot. For instance, this week he's convinced that the unseen and murderous creature in the jungle is actually something mechanical, but he still doesn't know for sure. He's also wary about some of the more convoluted and mystical theories posited in cyberspace.

"I'm just hoping that we're not in Purgatory, the 'We're All Dead' one," he says. "It writes off a lot too easily. I'd like us to still be on Earth, just because as it continues to unravel and we discover where we are, I want a semblance that you have to work a bit to figure it out."

As much of a conspiracy buff as he may be, Garcia isn't stressing out about solving the riddles of "Lost." Like his character, he's just content where he is, taking his off-days to swim at a favorite secluded Hawaiian beach.

"I float in the water and reflect on how great my life is right now," Garcia sighs.

"Lost" returns to ABC with new episodes starting Wednesday, Jan. 5 at 8 p.m. ET.

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Special Report
January 3, 2005
Winter 2005 Critics Poll: Q&A: J.J. Abrams, Creator of 'Lost'
By James Hibberd
After enjoying cult-level success with The WB's "Felicity" and ABC's "Alias," showrunner J.J. Abrams created a top-rated hit for ABC with "Lost," an intense, character-driven drama in which a few dozen survivors of a horrific airliner crash try to escape from a mysterious South Pacific island inhabited by an unseen monster.

Story continues below...

Since its debut, the show not only has been a ratings success, averaging 17.7 million viewers, but also has gained the admiration of critics.
Some of the excitement has been stymied, however, by an ongoing concern that the show's high-concept setup is unsustainable over the long term. The subject was first raised by critics reviewing the spectacular two-hour pilot. "The big issue will be the sustainability of the improbable plot," wrote Debra Leithauser and Amy Amatangelo in The Washington Post. "While a massive monster seems intriguing in week one, by week eight it might have `lost' its thrill appeal."

Other critics were even less optimistic. "I had a nightmare after watching the two-hour premiere," wrote an uncredited critic in the Kansas City Star. "Sadly, creator J.J. Abrams won't sleep well either once the Nielsens come in. Forecast: canceled."

So far, Mr. Abrams and his team not only have managed to bring in Nielsens but also have sustained their conceptual high-wire act by delving into each character's past via flashbacks rather than rushing forward to advance the plot. The monster from the pilot, for instance, has yet to make a second appearance.

In the TelevisionWeek Critics Poll, respondents praised the show's ongoing ability to impress while still expressing concern that Mr. Abrams and company may have written themselves into a corner. Give away too many of the island's mysteries and the audience may lose interest; give away too few and viewers may grow frustrated. It's the same struggle that was fought by the short-lived "Twin Peaks" and the long-running "The X-Files."

"While I love the mysterious premise, I'm not sure how long `Lost' can last," wrote Kevin Thompson of The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post in his survey response.

In this interview with TelevisionWeek Senior Reporter James Hibberd, Mr. Abrams answers some of the critics' most pressing questions about the show, its impact on reality programming and when that monster is coming back.

TelevisionWeek: So does everybody pelt you with questions about the show's mysteries?

J.J. Abrams: It's funny because most everybody asks me a question, then immediately follows it with, `Don't tell me, I don't want to know.' They immediately rescind the question.

TVWeek: Which question is the most common?

Mr. Abrams: At first it was, `What is the monster?' And [the monster] will definitely be making a return. That's since been superseded by character questions: What crime did Kate commit? Does Locke have a connection to the island other than his own beliefs? Does Michael's son have some kind of psychic power?

TVWeek: There are times it seems as though you're making this all up as you go.

Mr. Abrams: Some watch a magician and enjoy the trick, and others like to know how they did it. If you're like me and watch with a deconstructive mind, there are going to be times when you will see both-that a specific thing was set up long in advance, and other times there will be a new choice, a new idea that we had.

TVWeek: Critics have pitted your show, along with `Desperate Housewives,' against the reality genre, which is ironic, since the concept for `Lost' was inspired by a reality show, `Survivor.' What's your take?

Mr. Abrams: I don't think that things change like that. I think over time things sort of normalize and work cyclically. I feel like somebody who was only involved in three series so far [`Alias,' `Felicity'] and all three have a serialized component, so I'm embracing this momentary shift toward more scripted and serialized storytelling. It's not the only thing you want in your diet, but I'm thrilled to be a part of a moment in time when people have had their fill of the sometimes mean-spirited reality shows.

TVWeek: Will the use of flashbacks in each episode continue, or will the series enter a second act in which the characters are established and the story is all forward momentum?

Mr. Abrams: The flashbacks will continue. I would like to believe each character is like their own TV series ... so one day you can look back at all the Jack episodes and go, `Wow, this is his story.'

TVWeek: Do you read all the Internet speculation about the show? And has anybody come close to figuring it out?

Mr. Abrams: There have been a lot of really smart theories, and some have been pretty close. Others have been really funny and great. But the fact is, though the show has big answers that come over time, it's like a journey. To do the story we've discussed it needs to be earned. For somebody who's only watching the show just to learn the one Big Answer, that person is going to be disappointed, because they're not going to get a big final answer in the next 10, 11 episodes.

TVWeek: When the pilot debuted, many critics were concerned the momentum of the story's setup wasn't sustainable. Now weeks have gone by and the show has managed to pull it off, but critics are still concerned about the show's qualitative longevity. What's your response?

Mr. Abrams: My response is that it will continue as long as it can. That might mean it will `only' be on for nine years. You don't know going in what will play out or how everything will work. Each episode lasts about a day. So by the time the season is over, they'll only have been on the island for approximately 40 days. Given the opportunity for stories on this island-how in our first story meeting we were planning on doing something in the first episode that we will now be doing in the last episode of the season-if you're lucky, you can find the optimum pace. The island itself is full of surprises and there's a lot more mystery and story coming up.

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Ravin beauty
From The Eye
January 03, 2005

REMEMBER the name Emilie de Ravin because we think it's a name you're going to be hearing a bit of.
With a hit US television series about to air in Australia and breathtaking looks, the Melbourne girl could very well be our next big thing.

De Ravin stars alongside Party of Five's Matthew Fox as a pregnant teen stranded on a desert island in Channel 7's new series, Lost.

The brainchild of Alias creator J.J. Abrams, Lost is in its third month of screening in the US and has been nominated for a Golden Globe for this month's awards show.

It was also the second highest rating new drama in the US this year after Desperate Housewives.

The 23-year-old de Ravin - who grew up in Mt Eliza and went to Toorak College - fell into acting almost accidentally after several years of performing with the Australian Ballet School.

"I just thought I had always wanted to try this and if I don't now I'll never do it ... and I loved it," she said.

"I know I've made the right decision (to pursue acting) but I do miss the ballet."

A few auditions later, de Ravin landed a role in TV show Beastmaster and later Roswell.

She told The Eye last week that life is going just brilliantly for her and after hearing her schedule, we know what she means.

In Melbourne to visit family for Christmas, de Ravin will head back to exotic Hawaii this week where filming for Lost continues.

Then she's off to the Golden Globes on January 16 and later to the Sundance Film Festival in Utah where the independent film she stars in, Brick, will premiere.

Amid that hectic line-up, she is also hoping to spend some time in LA where she lives with her two favourite things, actor boyfriend Josh and poodle Bella.

She said Josh and Bella would definitely be the two things she would choose to take to a deserted island.

"Also a good book but I'd probably get bored of that after a while and a good brush because my hair gets quite tangled." Lost screens on Channel 7 from next month.

Herald Sun

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Ian Somerhalder talks 'Lost'
Sunday, January 2 2005, 21:32 GMT -- by Neil Wilkes

Warning: This article contains spoilers about the first series of Lost which some UK readers may wish to avoid.

Ian Somerhalder has revealed that his character in desert island drama Lost will soon undergo "a big change."

The actor has thusfar been frustrated playing Boone, a rich kid out of depth in his new surroundings.

"All we knew about Boone is he followed his sister a lot," Somerhalder told Zap2It. "She griped at him a lot, and they were these spoiled rich kids. No one likes a spoiled rich kid, and I thought to myself, 'That's not who they are.' Boone is a guy who's about to learn a lot about life really fast. I almost felt pity for him, because he didn't know the things that I, Ian, knew about surviving.

"I grew up in Louisiana. We had horses and land. You learn how to survive. You understand the way things work in the woods, if you need to build a fire, tie a rope, make a rope out of something else. He didn't know any of these things. He was very fragile in that environment, where I wouldn't have been.

"Do you know how hard it is to stand around and have everybody say, 'Do this, do this,' when I know, Ian knows, that's what you do. Basically there's an arc for Boone. Very soon, there's a big change."

The flashbacks in the next new episode - airing in the States January 12 - will focus on "the shocking truth" about Boone and sister Shannon.

"I'm sure most of the public thinks, 'Oh God, there's that yappy blonde and the other dude,'" he added. "Hate her all you want, because it only gets better. You start to understand why these two people act like they act, especially toward each other. It's a great thing to have that payoff and that tie-in, and you go from there."

Meanwhile, on the island, Boone is on an adventure with Locke (Terry O'Quinn).

"Locke takes Boone under his wing," O'Quinn explained. "He almost becomes a disciple or something, but I don't know if I'm doing Boone justice. He helps Boone out to a little self-realization, which Locke seems to have a tendency to do with people. He helps them realize things about themselves. They start an adventure together that the others don't know about."

Somerhalder added: "The island is starting to change people, and I think I'm the first one it's changed. All the things I didn't like about Boone, I now understand, and I'm looking forward to learning more."

Lost airs in the UK on Channel 4 later this month.

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Preview Guide: LOST: Episode 12: Whatever The Case May Be 1/5/05

A briefcase may contain insights into Kate's unexplained past in episode twelve of ABC's hit series "LOST," airing Wednesday, January 5, 2005 (8:00-9:01 PM). This episode is titled "Whatever The Case May Be."

"Whatever the Case May Be"

Jack, Kate and Sawyer fight over possession of a newly discovered locked metal briefcase which might contain insights into Kate's mysterious past.

Meanwhile, Sayid asks a reluctant Shannon to translate notes he took from the French woman.

A rising tide threatens to engulf the fuselage and the entire beach encampment.

Rose and a grieving Charlie tentatively bond over Claire's baffling disappearance.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Maggie Grace as Shannon, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Malcolm David Kelley as Walt, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Dominic Monaghan as Charlie, Terry O'Quinn as Locke, Harold Perrineau as Michael and Ian Somerhalder as Boone.

Guest starring are L. Scott Caldwell as Rose, Tim Halligan as Hutton, Victor Browne as Jason, Dezmond Gilla as baseball hat, Achilles Gacis as six foot five and Michael Vendrell as trucker.

"Whatever the Case May Be" was written by Damon Lindelof & Jennifer Johnson and directed by Jack Bender.

LOST
Episode 12: Whatever The Case May Be
Wednesday, January 5, 2005
8:00-9:01 PM
ABC

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Preview Guide: LOST: Episode 13: Hearts & Minds Preview 1/12/05

ABC's "Lost" returns with an all new episode titled "Hearts & Minds," airing Wednesday, January 12, 2005 (8:00-9:01 PM). This episode centers on Shannon and her connection to another person that was in the plane crash.

"Hearts and Minds"

When Locke learns that Boone wants to tell their "secret" to Shannon, Shannon's life is placed in sudden peril, and the shocking truth about her past with Boone is revealed.

Meanwhile, Kate is puzzled by Sun's mysterious behavior, and a hungry Hurley must repay a debt to Jin.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Maggie Grace as Shannon, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Malcolm David Kelley as Walt, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Dominic Monaghan as Charlie, Terry O'Quinn as Locke, Harold Perrineau as Michael and Ian Somerhalder as Boone.

Guest starring are Kelly Rice as Nicole, Charles Mesure as Bryan and Adam Leadbeater as Malcolm.

"Hearts and Minds" was written by Carlton Cuse & Javier Grillo-Marxuach and directed by Rod Holcomb.

Lost
Hearts & Minds
Wednesday, January 12, 2005
ABC

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Preview Guide: LOST: Episode 14 Special 1/19/05 Preview

The mysterious island beast makes a re-appearance on ABC's hit new drama "LOST." This episode is titled "Special" and airs Wednesday, January 19 (8:00-9:01 PM) on ABC.

"Special"

Violence ensues and a mysterious island beast makes a re-appearance when Michael and Locke clash over Walt's upbringing.

Meanwhile, Charlie is tempted to read the missing Claire's diary, and Sayid enlists Shannon to help decipher the French woman's map.

Guest starring are Tamara Taylor as Susan, Monica Garcia as nurse, David Starzyk as Brian and Natasha Goss as Dagne.

"Special" was written by David Fury and directed by Greg Yaitanes. Lost
Special
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
ABC

KingPriest2
01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Anytime now.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
New episode thank god.

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
'Bout time!

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:04 PM
There goes the wet t-shirt fun

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
OMG! They found some other plane crash victims.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Corpses in the water, lets go look at them!

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:09 PM
That's disgusting, dosen't Sawyer have any repect. :rolleyes:

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
we're just normal people just stealing from dead people like we don't have a care in the world.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Noticed that Sawyers been beaten up, tortured and now head knocked by Katie and hes never fought back? Wuss.

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
did she really just head butt him...

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
did she really just head butt him...

Yeah. I never understood head butting. Seems like it would hurt yourself as much as the person you are hitting.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Noticed that Sawyers been beaten up, tortured and now head knocked by Katie and hes never fought back? Wuss.

Yea pretty much. I think his whole character is him pretending to be something that he is not.

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:22 PM
zero halliburton's are bad ass cases

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Sawyer reminds me of the gorillla in the old Samsonite commercial. :D

Michael Michigan
Sawyer reminds me of the gorillla in the old Samsonite commercial. :D

:)

VonneMarie
I really hate Kate. :grr:

Fairplay
I seem to remember a samsonite commercial............

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey--let's stop this bank robbery and have sex

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:27 PM
oh, that pesky Kate..... ROFL

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey--let's stop this bank robbery and have sex

Yeah...timeout!

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I presume the money is in the suitcase. Anyone else think otherwise?

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:30 PM

She was in police custody, so I doubt it. It's probably personal info that would bust her out as a notorious (but hot) evile bitch criminal. :D

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:31 PM
She was in police custody, so I doubt it. It's probably personal info that would bust her out as a notorious (but hot) evile bitch criminal. :D

Thats true. I must side with your opinion in the matter.

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Sex toys?

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Cool! They need more guns! :thumb:

Michael Michigan
Dig his ass up

VonneMarie
They still don't know that korean woman speaks english?

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:35 PM
They still don't know that korean woman speaks english?

Only the black guy knows.

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:37 PM
I can't wait till that sh!t hits the fan.

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The marshal is apparently rather ripe. :spock:

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
We're just normal people digging up corpses.

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
You're not slick Kate. What a bitch. :mad:

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
That is one sneaky biatch

VonneMarie
We're just normal people digging up corpses.
ROFL

Frazod
You're not slick Kate. What a bitch. :mad:

You're one of those women who hates other women, aren't you? :p

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
You're one of those women who hates other women, aren't you? :p
I don't like her. I hope she rotts in hell with that marshall. :cuss:

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:42 PM

Who has sex first?

The black guy and the Korean or

The Iraqi and the blonde...

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Who has sex first?

I have no idea....but the Blonde is smokin HOT!!

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Who has sex first?

Iraqi and blonde.

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Who has sex first?

The father and the wife.

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Iraqi and blonde.

I like that needy act she just pulled...

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Her names Maggie. ROFL

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Damn!!!!! Maggie

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Her names Maggie. ROFL
Guess not. She's still a bitch. :mad:

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
WTF is her real name?

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:50 PM
You can't handle the truth

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:51 PM
WTF is her real name?
Kate. Maggie was her alias name...

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:51 PM
All the fuss over that?

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Not only is she a bitch, she's a murdering bitch! :eek:

Fairplay
I like that needy act she just pulled...

The ol'sympathy bit.

Fairplay

You can't believe anything she says either. A He'len? :eek:

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah, but she seems really sorry......

:)

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why you guys are drooling over Kate. :Lin:

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Seriously! The Blonde is much hotter.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Im trying not to let it show...............

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:55 PM
All the fuss over that?

No sh!t is there a little vial of plutonium inside?

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Seriously! The Blonde is much hotter.
If I were a lesbian I'd wanna do her. But I'm not...

Frazod
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Because we're naturally drawn to hot, evil, lying bitches. :banghead:

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I bet anybody that black womans husband is alive. :)

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
If I were a lesbian I'd wanna do her. But I'm not...

You had me at...

If I were a lesbian I'd wanna do her

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 06:58 PM
First the herion withdrawls now grief, bummer.

VonneMarie
01-05-2005, 07:00 PM
You had me at...

If I were a lesbian I'd wanna do her
I'll take the hott Iraqi and Jack. :thumb:

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Another possibilty is there could be diamonds inside that little plane.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 07:02 PM
How come nobody is talking about the Charlie and Black woman possible hookup??

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
How come nobody is talking about the Charlie and Black woman possible hookup??

:spock: + :hump: = :eek:

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
So I take it Boone is jealous of his sister Shannon hooking up with Sayiid?? Im guessing he is racist??

Frazod
01-05-2005, 07:08 PM
So I take it Boone is jealous of his sister Shannon hooking up with Sayiid?? Im guessing he is racist??

She asked him earlier of Locke was his "new boyfriend." Maybe he bats for the other side. :hmmm:

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm really kinda pissed... thanks to the end of year last month being so busy, I believe I have missed 2 episodes.

KCJake
01-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Did I miss an episode? Which girl did Charlie "let die"? The pregnant girl with asthma? I thought that chinese girl gave her some "medicine" and she was ok?

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Did I miss an episode? Which girl did Charlie "let die"? The pregnant girl with asthma? I thought that chinese girl gave her some "medicine" and she was ok?

She got kidnapped by Ethan and taken into the jungle somewhere?? That happened 1 and 2 episodes ago...

KCJake
01-05-2005, 11:08 PM
She got kidnapped by Ethan and taken into the jungle somewhere?? That happened 1 and 2 episodes ago...
Really? Which one is Ethan? So, she might not be dead?

Frazod
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM

Nobody seemed to miss her too much, other than the Charlie, who did little but pout and whine about it.

You'd think that Captain Jack would have grabbed up those shiny new pistolas and charged off into the jungle after her. Perhaps he will next week.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Really? Which one is Ethan? So, she might not be dead?

Ethan was one of the "background" characters that you would see walking in the backgrounds of scenes. He was thought to be another plane crash survivor, but it was revealed later that he was never on the plane. I seriously doubt that she is dead. Although, thats what Charlie and the other characters might think.

chiefsfan987
01-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Did Ethan take her because she was pregnant? and if so... did he also take the french womans child? I remember her telling sayid that "they took him" refering to her child several episodes back. I'm not sure if she meant before she was on the island or since she's been stranded there though.

KingPriest2
01-06-2005, 07:10 AM
JJ Abrams has stated that season 2 is going to be different from this year. So that could mean new cast or soemthing.

Alton deFlat
01-06-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm really kinda pissed... thanks to the end of year last month being so busy, I believe I have missed 2 episodes.

They haven't shown a new episode in probably 2-3 weeks.

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 07:42 AM
I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, but overall I was very disappointed with the episode. During the last episode (1 month ago) everyone on the island was gung-ho about searching for the pregnant girl. Now a day or so later, nobody is looking except maybe for Locke.

Jack's character is annoying the hell out of me. I hope a bear/pig/alien eats him. What does he care what's in the damn briefcase?

Baby Lee
01-06-2005, 03:47 PM
So, did Kate bring along some form of super-razor, or did the Korean lady whip up some bikini wax out of the local flora?

:p

KingPriest2
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Roadmap to 'Lost'
Source: MSNBC

Get caught up with the plane-crash drama
By Kim Reed
MSNBC contributor

Updated: 4:45 p.m. ET Jan. 4, 2005

Since it premiered in September, viewers have become addicted to ABC's “Lost,” the saga of a group of strangers stranded on an island after a plane crash. But missing one or more episodes in this serial drama can be confusing. “Lost” returns to ABC with a new episode on Wednesday. To get you caught up, here is a summary of the first 11 episodes, a description of the major characters, and some speculation on what exactly is going on. Crash landing

After a spectacular plane crash, Dr. Jack Shepard (Matthew Fox) emerges as a leader and bonds with fellow survivor, Kate (Evangeline Lilly). On their first night on the island, the 48 survivors hear a metallic clanking and growling sound, and rustling trees indicate a gigantic something moving around in the jungle.

The next day, Jack looks for the plane's transceiver, along with Kate and Charlie (Dominic Monaghan), a drug-addicted musician. They find the cockpit, and a surviving pilot, who tells them that the plane's radio stopped working, so he made an unscheduled turn for Fiji before they crashed. No one back in civilization knows about the crash, making a rescue improbable. The metallic growling starts up again, and the pilot is killed in a grisly fashion by the still unseen monster.

Jack gives the broken transceiver to Sayid (Naveen Andrews), a former member of the Iraqi Republican Guard. Meanwhile, Jack performs surgery on a U.S. Marshal (Fredric Lehne), who was escorting Kate, a fugitive. Sayid fixes the transceiver and a group heads to higher ground to try for a signal. On the way, a polar bear appears and Sawyer (Josh Holloway), a shady Texan, shoots and kills it. After recovering from the shock of finding a polar bear on a tropical island, the group picks up an SOS call, and determines that a French woman recorded it 16 years earlier. Boone (Ian Somerhalder), an eager young man, urges Shannon (Maggie Grace), his spoiled sister, to translate and she says that the French woman is saying that “it” killed everyone. Jack can't save the marshal, so Sawyer tries to euthanize him with a bullet, but fails, and Jack reluctantly finishes the job.

Boars and bodies

The survivors discover wild boars among the corpses in the fuselage, and Jack suggests they burn the bodies. Jack begins to regret taking on a leadership role. Claire (Emilie de Ravin), a very pregnant Australian, holds a memorial service for the dead. Kate heads out to hunt boar with Locke (Terry O'Quinn), a slightly creepy older man, and Michael (Harold Perrineau Jr.), estranged father to his young son Walt (Malcolm David Kelley). When Michael is gored, he and Kate leave Locke alone. Locke sees the monster and lives, but doesn't tell anyone what he saw.

Jack starts seeing his dead father, and follows him into the jungle. Jack falls off a cliff, and is saved by Locke, who tells Jack that the island is magic. Jack stumbles onto his father's coffin, which is empty. He returns to the group, ready to be a leader.

Jin and his wife Sun (Daniel Dae Kim and Yoon-jin Kim), a married Korean couple, don't speak English. Jin nearly kills Michael for wearing Sun's father's watch. While Jin is locked up, Sun explains everything to Michael, including the fact that her husband doesn't know she can speak English. The group discovers a cave with fresh water and two human skeletons. Jack proposes that they move to the cave. Some join him, but others stay on the beach, afraid they might miss a rescue plane or ship.

Locke convinces Charlie to kick drugs. Jack is trapped in a cave-in and Michael's construction skills and Charlie's slight stature come in handy in his rescue. Meanwhile, an unseen assailant attacks Sayid while he is trying to discern the source of the SOS recording, and breaks the transceiver.

Rousseau, Locke and other philosophers

Shannon starts to suffer from asthma attacks, and Boone can't find her medicine. Everyone suspects Sawyer has it, since he's been hoarding. After bargaining doesn't work, Sayid and Jack torture Sawyer. Later, Sawyer admits to Kate that he never had the medicine. Sun mixes a plant concoction to help Shannon. Sayid is disgusted by his actions and leaves to map out the island.

‘Lost’ theories
— It's all someone's dream.
— The island has healing and/or rejuvenating powers.
— The castaways are really all in group therapy together and this is a guided imagery exercise.
— The island has the power to give people what they want the most.
— Everyone else on Earth died, and they are a new civilization.
— They're all dead/in hell/in purgatory/in heaven.
— They're all part of a scientific experiment.

Rousseau, the French woman, captures Sayid. She tortures him and explains that she was part of a science expedition whose ship crashed on the island; she claims that all of her shipmates caught a disease and she had to kill them, and asks if he's seen her child, Alex. She also mentions something about a black rock. Ultimately, she lets Sayid go, but refuses to join the plane crash survivors.

The very pregnant Claire is attacked. Jack thinks it was just a nightmare. Claire angrily stomps off into the jungle, followed by Charlie. Hurley (Jorge Garcia), an oversized surfer dude, conducts a census using the passenger manifest, and discovers that a person named Ethan was never on the downed plane. Meanwhile, Claire goes into labor and she and Charlie are confronted by Ethan, who kidnaps them both.

Jack and Kate search for Claire and Charlie. They discover Charlie hanging from a tree, apparently dead. Jack performs CPR to no avail at first, but after a few agonizing minutes, Charlie is revived. Back in the cave, Charlie is in shock and can't remember anything, except that his captors just wanted Claire. Locke and Boone are also searching and they discover something large and metallic buried under the mud.

Back in the ‘real’ world

Each week, the island story moves forward, but in addition, one character's back story is partially revealed. To wit:

Jack's father was the chief of surgery, and always told Jack that he couldn't be a leader. Jack became a doctor and refused to cover it up when his father drunkenly botched a surgery and killed a pregnant woman. Later, Jack went to Australia to retrieve his father, who was on a bender. When Jack arrived, his father was already dead.

Kate crashed with a rancher in Australia. She tried to run away after a few months, but he persuaded her to stay. As he drove her into town the next day, Kate realized that the rancher knew she was a fugitive and had turned her in for the reward. Kate forced the truck off the road, but then missed her opportunity to escape the marshal when she stopped to save the rancher's life.

Locke worked for a bullying boss, and planned to fulfill a lifelong dream by going on a walkabout in Australia. The tour company turned him away when they found out that he was in a wheelchair. After the crash, Locke could walk, and no one on the island knows his secret.

Sawyer's father killed his mother after they fell prey to a con man. Sawyer vowed to find the con man and kill him. Instead, Sawyer became a con man himself, even taking on the original con man's name.

Sun and Jin fell in love although she was wealthy and he was poor. Her father agreed to let them marry as long as Jin came to work for him. Sun soon realized that Jin's work schedule kept them apart. When Jin came home covered in blood and refused to answer her questions, Sun started taking English lessons and made plans to run away. At the last minute, she changed her mind when she felt that perhaps Jin was still the man she fell in love with.

Charlie is the bass player for the band DriveShaft. His older brother and bandmate was more into the groupies and drugs than the music. Charlie eventually followed his brother's example, but his brother left the band and settled down. Charlie came to Australia to convince his brother to rejoin the band for a reunion tour, but his brother refused.

Sayid was an interrogation officer for the Iraqi Republican Guard. He was assigned to guard a female prisoner who turned out to be his childhood love. When ordered to execute her, Sayid helped her escape instead.

Claire got pregnant and her boyfriend left. Claire went to a psychic, who said that the baby was dangerous, and Claire had to raise him herself. Claire tried to give the baby up but ultimately went back to the psychic who put her on a flight to LA, where he promised there would be a couple waiting to adopt. Claire later realized that the psychic put her on the doomed flight, knowing what would happen.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Lost in last nights debate about whos hotter, Shannon or Kate? Last nights episode did have a few interesting things. Whats up with Boone and Locke and the cave thing? What did they find down there? Hmmmmmmm?? Did anyone else think that Kate was pretty damn handy with the steel in that bank robbery flashback? It reminded me of Jennifer Garners antics in Alias. Not surprising since both shows are from JJ Abrams.

Frazod
01-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, but overall I was very disappointed with the episode. During the last episode (1 month ago) everyone on the island was gung-ho about searching for the pregnant girl. Now a day or so later, nobody is looking except maybe for Locke.

Jack's character is annoying the hell out of me. I hope a bear/pig/alien eats him. What does he care what's in the damn briefcase?

I agree, last night's episode was probably the least impressive of the series.

But a subpar episode of Lost is better than a good episode of pretty much anything else! :thumb:

Frosty
01-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Lost in last nights debate about whos hotter, Shannon or Kate?

Since I missed the debate - definitely Kate.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Since I missed the debate - definitely Kate.

Shannon for me, but shes so damn ditzy it sort of offsets the sexiness.

stumppy
01-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the article KP. I've missed a couple of episodes and it filled in a few of the blanks.:thumb:

stumppy
01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
oh yea, Kate. GGGRRRRRRRRRRR.:thumb:

KevB
01-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Shannon for me, but shes so damn ditzy it sort of offsets the sexiness.

Definitely Kate for me....she's got some kind of innocent, girl next door thing going that is smokin' with those eyes and that body. A very good bit of casting, because I think she's just the opposite.

Shannon's personality really turns me off, but next week's episode explains her relationship with Boone (and hopefully the spoiled brat attitude). Should be interesting. I did appreciate the bikini scenes, personality be damned.

unlurking
01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Definitely Kate for me....she's got some kind of innocent, girl next door thing going that is smokin' with those eyes and that body. A very good bit of casting, because I think she's just the opposite.

Shannon's personality really turns me off, but next week's episode explains her relationship with Boone (and hopefully the spoiled brat attitude). Should be interesting. I did appreciate the bikini scenes, personality be damned.
Yeah, but Kate seems to have that "I slept around like a 2 dolla ho" thing going personality wise. Shannon seems to have the "I'm playing dumb to get what I want" thing goin'.

Either way, they are both smokin', and I wouldn't kick either one outta bed for eatin' crackers.

KingPriest2
01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
1 hour

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
1 hour

Yep, Shannon and Boone's backstory tonight from what I understand.

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Here's hoping Shannon was a porn star. :thumb:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Here's hoping Shannon was a porn star. :thumb:

I'll 2nd that one!

KingPriest2
01-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Check you email

KingPriest2
01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
'Lost' and found
Mandeville native Ian Somerhalder was an unknown before he landed a spot on the cast of 'Lost.' After tonight's episode showcasing his character, he won't be an unknown anymore.
Wednesday, January 12, 2005
Dave Walker
Boone and Shannon may be the most enigmatic members of the huge cast of "Lost," the ABC network's castaway classic.

Played by Mandeville native Ian Somerhalder and actress Maggie Grace, they appear to be constantly bickering siblings, overprivileged but otherwise underwhelming.

Advertisement

Right? Probably not.

We'll learn more tonight.

A breakaway freshman hit as Nielsen's No. 10-rated series for the season, "Lost" has at times veered riskily toward "Twin Peaks" territory in some of its fantastic sub-stories, but the biggie-size roster of characters and their post-plane-crash predicament has hijacked the imaginations of an average 15.9 million viewers each week.

At 7 tonight on WGNO-Channel 26, Boone and Shannon finally get their "flashback" episode.

In one of the drama's most endearing tricks, the backgrounds of the involuntary islanders have been revealed, one-by-one and bit-by-bit, as the season moves on.

Interviewed by telephone from the show's Hawaii base, Somerhalder, who recently turned 26, said he couldn't reveal specifics of tonight's episode except to say, "It was the best week, the most intense week, that I've ever had shooting."

He actually said more, but we're saving it for the end of the story, "Lost"-style.

Son of a north shore massage therapist (Edna) and building contractor (Robert), Somerhalder was a globetrotting fashion model at age 16.

His acting career jump-started in 2002 in the college-set film drama "The Rules of Attraction," in which he co-starred with a gaggle of youth-market sex symbols, including "Dawson's Creek" star James Van Der Beek, "7th Heaven's" Jessica Biel and "Blue Crush" babe Kate Bosworth.

This year, he got "Lost."

. . . . . . .

The creation myth for "Lost" says that the show was conceived as a scripted "Survivor," then came together in a frenzy of on-the-fly scriptwriting and an international casting search accomplished in all of three weeks.

When Somerhalder's agent told him about the show's creative overseers -- J.J. Abrams, creator of "Alias," and Damon Lindelof, a veteran of "Crossing Jordan" and "Nash Bridges" -- then about the show's stunning setting, reading for a role in the pilot was a no-brainer.

"I went, 'Yeah, could you please get me in a room with these guys,' " Somerhalder said. "Sure enough, it was a good thing."

Favorable critical buzz for the show began to build as soon as the cinematic pilot episode was circulated to TV critics.

"It set up expectations that we didn't know we could meet," Somerhalder said. "This is a television show that looks like a movie, and it's really incredible, this thing.

"Before it aired, we felt like we had this really great secret, and we were about to tell everyone that secret."

The fickle tastes of viewers couldn't be predicted. Before the recent quality infusion of "Desperate Housewives," "Lost," "Wife Swap" and "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," ABC stood for All But Canceled.

As viewers began to find "Lost," the show's cast kept working in comparative isolation.

"None of us really knew," Somerhalder said. "We definitely knew that we were working on something that was going to be good or great, but you don't know how the public's going to perceive it."

Somerhalder has had just a few opportunities to be recognized by viewers, but it's happening more and more, he said.

It's bound to happen even more after tonight's episode.

"Whatever town you're in, whether it's in Los Angeles or Ohio or wherever, there are going to be some of those 16 million somewhere around you, and I think that's the reality of it," he said. "It's just a pretty large scale."

. . . . . . .

The breakout success of "Lost" came as no surprise to Debi Hutchins, a 35-year old mother of two from Canton, Maine.

"From the day he got the script, he was so excited about the project," said Hutchins, founder and volunteer Webmaster of www.iansomerhalder.net. "Before he had the part he was telling me what a fantastic show it was and how much he wanted to be a part of it."

Hutchins first contacted Somerhalder about hosting a fan Web site when he co-starred in "Young Americans," a short-lived WB network series circa summer 2000.

"I was interested in Ian, and had seen a bunch of his modeling work and, to be perfectly honest, I was kind of an old dog who wanted to teach myself a new trick," she said. "I wanted to learn how to build a Web site.

"He's exceptionally intelligent, in ways you would not expect. It's very hard to pin him down into one category, almost impossible. He's very bright, extremely funny and sweet. You should see him with little kids."

When Somerhalder dropped his e-mail address into an online chat promoting "Young Americans," Hutchins wrote him. To her surprise, he responded.

"It just took off," she said of the Web site. "To this day, it still amazes me. I think a lot of it's due to Ian. He's made himself very accessible."

Indeed, in addition to subsidizing the advertising-free, profit-eschewing site (Hutchins paid for it out of her own pocket for several years), Somerhalder contributes to a feature for which readers submit questions for him to answer.

For celebrity palaver, the regular Q&A -- its title, "The Friday Five," denoting its publication schedule and weekly question total -- is remarkable in its frankness.

Sometimes employing earthy language, Somerhalder appears incapable of guile in the forum, revealing favorite authors (Nietzsche, Faulkner, Thoreau and Freud, among others), dissing rival shows (most recently the WB's "Smallville," on which he once had a recurring guest role) and riffing on such passions as metaphysics and hotel heiress (and Paris sibling) Nicky Hilton, with whom he was romantically linked for several months.

"I love that people take five minutes out of their lives to e-mail someone a question," Somerhalder said. "They can ask some pretty good questions. It's a really cool thing. I'm grateful to Debi."

"I think he likes that nobody's censoring his words," Hutchins added. "It's not a magazine editor changing what he says or taking bits and pieces of it. I change nothing. Spell-check and some punctuation."

. . . . . . .

Elsewhere on the Internet, there are clues to the revelations in tonight's "Lost."

Hutchins has seen the spoilers but is reluctant to share.

"His character's going to change a lot in the near future," she said.

Somerhalder said story lines and character arcs are a hot downtime topic even among members of "Lost" cast.

Writing for a dozen-plus principal actors, a cast of more than 40 total castaways, plus uncountable surprise island inhabitants and creatures -- not to mention a castaway dog, whose "flashback" episode ought to be a real howl -- can't be easy.

"It's hard to create dynamics between 14 actors all the time," he said. "It takes a while for story lines to play out.

"You're in the hands of Damon and JJ. There's no other way to go about it. By the way, you're in Hawaii. It's the greatest group of people I've ever been around, maybe will ever be around. It's all perfect.

"These guys are geniuses, two-legged geniuses walking around. It's going to work out."

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But how?

And when are we going to get that very special dog-flashback episode?

It better be coming in February sweeps.

"There is a transformation happening and the good thing is that by the end of the episode, Boone is affected by his experience on the island," Somerhalder said. "We're going to start seeing that.

"The island itself is starting to change. Locke (the island mystic, played by Terry O'Quinn) and I discover something that's going to change everything, and that's also really cool."

"I'm excited to see what's been going on with Boone, too. It's taken two to three months to get to that episode, and three months is a long time to wait for something like that."

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Anyone else thinking TAKE YOUR FAT ASS OUT AND HUNT YOUR OWN DAMN BOAR!

Fairplay
01-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Anyone else thinking TAKE YOUR FAT ASS OUT AND HUNT YOUR OWN DAMN BOAR!

No sh*t! ROFL

Fairplay
01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Good job Locke.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Damn, Locke just knocked the shit out of Boone! :eek:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Damn, Locke just knocked the shit out of Boone! :eek:

Im guessing it was Locke who also knocked out Sayiid as well after that rocket launch a few episodes back??

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Im guessing it was Locke who also knocked out Sayiid as well after that rocket launch a few episodes back??

Perhaps. Locke is an odd dude. :spock:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 06:32 PM
WTF?? Who tied up Shannon?? Was it that Kinky Sayiid??

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
WTF?? Who tied up Shannon?? Was it that Kinky Sayiid??

Nope, i guess it was Locke, but why???

Dartgod
I don't know WTF that was, but I about crapped my drawers!

Frazod
Shannon - it's what's for dinner. :D

Deberg_1990
BTW, any signifigance as to why Sawyer showed up in Boone's backstory???

VonneMarie
01-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Bye Shannon...

Dartgod
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
BTW, any signifigance as to why Sawyer showed up in Boone's backstory???
Yeah, I don't remember that in Sawyers story.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
BTW, I rewound using TiVo to try to get a glimpse of whatever that thing was. Couldn't see a thing. :banghead:

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:53 PM
INCEST IS BEST!

VonneMarie
01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
INCEST IS BEST!
Step sister and brother, but it's still disgusting. :Lin:

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Looks like she's really dead. Wow.

I guess they're running out of redshirts.

Dartgod
01-12-2005, 06:57 PM

Eh, we thought that about Charlie too.

Deberg_1990

damnit! they killed the hottest chick on the island!! Whos next Kate??

Fairplay
INCEST IS BEST!

Let's keep it in the family.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Eh, we thought that about Charlie too.

The doctor ain't in the house this time.

But you never know. Hell, she may show up with Ethan later.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
MIND F#CK!!!!

:cuss:

Dartgod
01-12-2005, 07:03 PM
MIND F#CK!!!!

:cuss:
That was a little lame.

Fairplay
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Yeah. I wondered if it was a dream maybe. I guess he had to get over his jealousy of his sister. So tie up the sister and cue the monster to get him to realize that.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
That was a little lame.

Yeah, it was a bit annoying.

I'm also getting tired of the Sawyer-says-you-can't-have-it routine previewed for next week. That's getting OLD.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Yea, the "it was only a dream" thing is a huge copout. Otherwise a pretty decent episode with some HOT Incest for added enjoyment!

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I really like this show, but I remain confused...

Are we certain that Locke was on the plane and he isn't one of the psychos that was stranded 16 years ago?

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I thought the whole "dude pee on it" scene was funny...

Frazod
01-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Are we certain that Locke was on the plane and he isn't one of the psychos that was stranded 16 years ago?

He was definitely on the plane.

But he's freaky nonetheless. :spock:

Dartgod
01-12-2005, 07:16 PM

They did his story early on. He was paralyzed and was able to walk again after the crash.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:18 PM
They did his story early on. He was paralyzed and was able to walk again after the crash.

Shit ... I missed that. He knows WAY too much...

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
So ... 3 weeks and those guys have as much facial growth that I do in 2 days. I guess they're all shaving, but it's kinda odd.

And, I'm kinda glad they're leaving out the moments for any of the women... there have to be grooming issues cropping up.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Shit ... I missed that. He knows WAY too much...

He's sort of like the Professor.

On steriods. :D

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
He's sort of like the Professor.

On steriods. :D

Or like the "Yoda" of the Island.

Dartgod
01-12-2005, 07:22 PM
And, I'm kinda glad they're leaving out the moments for any of the women... there have to be grooming issues cropping up.
Hopefully there was a shipment of feminine products in the cargo hold. You know, for that "fresh" feeling?

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I just can't imagine WTF is wandering through the jungle eating people...

Did you guys address the issue of the compass? Sorry, I'm the kid that showed up 5 minutes before class was over...

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
So ... 3 weeks and those guys have as much facial growth that I do in 2 days. I guess they're all shaving, but it's kinda odd.

I've been commenting on that too. A couple of them have barely any peach fuzz. I know different people grow facial hair at different rates but it seems a bit odd to me too. Locke has not much more than 5 o'clock shadow.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I've been commenting on that too. A couple of them have barely any peach fuzz. I know different people grow facial hair at different rates but it seems a bit odd to me too. Locke has not much more than 5 o'clock shadow.

That crazy bastard is likely dry shaving with his bowie knife...

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
That crazy bastard is likely dry shaving with his bowie knife...
good point...

Frazod
01-12-2005, 07:38 PM
I still don't understand why Jack didn't pass out those guns to Kate, Locke and Sayyid and go looking for Claire. That just makes no f#cking sense.

I think the show's starting to slip a bit.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I still don't understand why Jack didn't pass out those guns to Kate, Locke and Sayyid and go looking for Claire. That just makes no f#cking sense.

It opened with such a BANG and wow factor that we're going to think that at times... as they build the characters and set the stage for new things, we're going to consider some scenes as dragging.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 07:43 PM

I think they are all assuming that Claire is dead so whats the point????

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:45 PM
So, other than this thread... have any of you been nerdy enough to find a true forum dedicated to the show?

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I think they are all assuming that Claire is dead so whats the point????

Yep and once we've forgotter her ... they'll find her with the freaks on the island and the baby will be the "chosen one" or something.

chiefs4me
01-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Not I,,

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 07:49 PM
So, other than this thread... have any of you been nerdy enough to find a true forum dedicated to the show?

I think a few have. But i prefer to stay "spoiler" free.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Should have known...

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/community.html

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey - if you guys are interested in some wild theories, check out that link...

Chiefnj
01-12-2005, 09:47 PM
The fact that nobody is looking for Claire is almost ruining the show for me. Their inaction goes against everything else in the show. They'll go to great lengths and torture someone for an asthma inhaler or spend a day trying to get inside a lousy locked briefcase, but someone takes the pregnant girl and all of sudden everyone goes crop planting, fishing, boar hunting and map reading.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
The fact that nobody is looking for Claire is almost ruining the show for me. Their inaction goes against everything else in the show. They'll go to great lengths and torture someone for an asthma inhaler or spend a day trying to get inside a lousy locked briefcase, but someone takes the pregnant girl and all of sudden everyone goes crop planting, fishing, boar hunting and map reading.

Agreed. That's pissing me off, too. Especially since they've got guns now.

:shake:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 09:51 PM

They did go look for her, but after Jack got his butt kicked by Ethan I guess they gave up the search for awhile?? Plus, no one knows where she is at or if she is even alive? I have a feeling Ethan and Claire will be back soon though...

KCJake
01-12-2005, 09:57 PM
The hottest chick on the show is now dead. :deevee:

KCJake
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
She's BACK!

Chiefnj
01-12-2005, 10:01 PM
They did go look for her, but after Jack got his butt kicked by Ethan I guess they gave up the search for awhile?? Plus, no one knows where she is at or if she is even alive? I have a feeling Ethan and Claire will be back soon though...

4 out of 40 people on the "island" went looking and Michael headed south. They let the whole story drop off the face of the earth other than having Mr. Driveshaft pout a bit last week.

Locke can find and do anything on the island he wishes. Why isn't Jack pestering him to find Claire? Like I said, they will spend an entire episode having Jack discover what's in a briefcase, but he won't go back in the jungle.

Another thing that bothered me is that Sayid found the line/wire coming out of the beach, but nobody (as a group) went back to see what it really was or to try to find the french lady again.

morphius
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Wasn't Locke looking for her, but then they found the barried door thingy?

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Wasn't Locke looking for her, but then they found the barried door thingy?

Yes

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 06:23 AM
OK, regarding the beast. Has it always been introduced with the sound of bird wings beating.

And I'm able to make out bits of; shofar, metallic creaking, and thunderous thumps assumed to be footsteps.

And right before Shannon is scooped up, we catch a glimpse of two trees being uprooted and thrown into the air.

Any other input?

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 06:27 AM
OK, regarding the beast. Has it always been introduced with the sound of bird wings beating.

And I'm able to make out bits of; shofar, metallic creaking, and thunderous thumps assumed to be footsteps.

And right before Shannon is scooped up, we catch a glimpse of two trees being uprooted and thrown into the air.

Any other input?

It sounds just like the old Godzilla noises to Bob Dole.

Bob Dole went through the monster thing last night frame by frame and couldn't make out squat, except it came in from the left.

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 06:37 AM
It sounds just like the old Godzilla noises to Bob Dole.

Bob Dole went through the monster thing last night frame by frame and couldn't make out squat, except it came in from the left.
In the HD broadcast, you could clearly see a tree being uprooted and a column of earth crumbling back to the ground.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
My guess on the creature would be.........

1. A reptile creature thought extinct but lives on the island. A dinosaur type creature.

2. An animal that is not-extinct. But perhaps scientifically altered somehow to live and adapt to that enviroment. As well as growing to enormous proportions. This reasoning comes from the polar bear event in an earlier episode. Also the others bears they showed when they were invadeing the camp the bears seemed very big. Whos to say those bears were actually only half grown? Thats the only theories i could think of. Remember the producers of the show said that all that is happening on it have an explaination for what is going on with the island.
I don't think its to outlandish. I think genetically altered experimentation of animals would be my guess.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 06:47 AM
In the HD broadcast, you could clearly see a tree being uprooted and a column of earth crumbling back to the ground.

One thing Baby Lee, if this was a dream of sorts he had or he ate a bad mushroom, heh, then his dream could be how he perceives the creature.
Not necessarily what it might be like in reality.

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 07:01 AM
One thing Baby Lee, if this was a dream of sorts he had or he ate a bad mushroom, heh, then his dream could be how he perceives the creature.
Not necessarily what it might be like in reality.
Oh I know, I'm just trying to deconstruct the audio and visual cues we've been given.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Im all for a good story, but the series is starting to assume it's moniker. Im not sure if that is by design, but it would be nice if every couple of episodes we're actually putting some pieces of the puzzle together...

Like Chiefnj said, there are things that have been introduced on the island and not followed up on and a missing person that no one seems to care about at this point. Then last night the whole 'dream' episode...

The show's gone from quite interesting to somewhat annoying. I guess I dont like a chaotic script that keeps jabbing at you with new things and no one really interested in finding any answers.

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Sawyer appearing in the Boone/Shannon flashback was unexpected.

Bob Dole wonders if there's a point to it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
My guess on the creature would be.........

1. A reptile creature thought extinct but lives on the island. A dinosaur type creature.

2. An animal that is not-extinct. But perhaps scientifically altered somehow to live and adapt to that enviroment. As well as growing to enormous proportions. This reasoning comes from the polar bear event in an earlier episode. Also the others bears they showed when they were invadeing the camp the bears seemed very big. Whos to say those bears were actually only half grown? Thats the only theories i could think of. Remember the producers of the show said that all that is happening on it have an explaination for what is going on with the island.
I don't think its to outlandish. I think genetically altered experimentation of animals would be my guess.
Interesting theories. It seems to make a lot of metallic crunching and screetching sounds.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Sawyer appearing in the Boone/Shannon flashback was unexpected.

Bob Dole wonders if there's a point to it.
I noticed Sawyer wasn't even in the show last night other than that scene...or if he was i missed it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Im all for a good story, but the series is starting to assume it's moniker. Im not sure if that is by design, but it would be nice if every couple of episodes we're actually putting some pieces of the puzzle together...

I agree.

Frazod
01-13-2005, 07:52 AM
I noticed Sawyer wasn't even in the show last night other than that scene...or if he was i missed it.

Apparently there was nothing of value for him to try to keep from one of the other cast members. That seems to be his only purpose on the show. :shake:

Chiefnj
01-13-2005, 07:57 AM

The show's gone from quite interesting to somewhat annoying. I guess I dont like a chaotic script that keeps jabbing at you with new things and no one really interested in finding any answers.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I wonder if the writers had a solid script for one season with some subplots not completely thought out. Then the show is a hit and and they say, wow this thing is going to be on for years - we have to dilute it a bit and stretch it out more than we originally thought.

"When we know our own strength, we shall the better know what to undertake with hopes of success; and when we have well surveyed the powers of our own minds, and made some estimate what we may expect from them, we shall not be inclined either to sit still, and not set our thoughts on work at all, in despair of knowing anything; nor on the other side, question everything, and disclaim all knowledge, because some things are not to be understood." John Locke - philosopher.

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
The listing for next week's episode points out that "fathers seem to be pivitol in the backstories of several characters." Don't know whether that's a hint or just something to throw everyone off.

It also aludes to the episode title, "Special," referring to Walt having some special abilities. (Like the dice thing, him reading the comic with the polar bear right before the polar bear, this episode being primarily about Walt/Michael and the preview showing yet another polar bear...)

Kclee
01-13-2005, 08:06 AM
So with that whole Boone ordeal not real, do you think anything else wasn't real? Locke seemed to know what would happen. Maybe he experimented before to get some sort of clue? Could explaine not looking for the pregnant girl?(kind of hard to make that work) Explaines the doctor 'seeing' his dad on the island. Sayid seeing the french lady? Hell, who knows.

Bearcat
01-13-2005, 09:16 AM

Like Chiefnj said, there are things that have been introduced on the island and not followed up on and a missing person that no one seems to care about at this point. Then last night the whole 'dream' episode...

Took the words right out of my mouth.... I've read all the stuff about wanting to be creative, and having a million ideas, but there's now so many questions and so few answers, I'm losing interest.

IMO, they really needed to move forward with Locke, the hatch, and/or Claire by now, but unfortunately I think they're going to stray away from all three again next week (that's what I gathered from the preview anyway). Assuming that, I'll probably give it a couple more weeks.... the previews introduced something else that they could drag on, too, so who knows if it'll go anywhere.

Bearcat
01-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Apparently there was nothing of value for him to try to keep from one of the other cast members. That seems to be his only purpose on the show. :shake:

That's getting really old.... saw the little argument that's supposed to be on next week, and was hoping they wouldn't waste time doing the "who has it?"/"Sawyer does!"/"Give it back!" :banghead:

ct
01-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Has everyone forgotten/overlooked the fact this is a TV Series? If they give everything to you, the show is over. I love the show, but getting annoyed just like everyone else. Yet you've got to accept the fact they will not give the viewers anything until another storyline has been concocted to take it's place for drama/suspense purposes and series longevity.

And by the way...Kate, definitely Kate!!!

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 10:00 AM

he showed up in Boone's flashback for a few seconds. He was being arrested at the same police station where Boone was filing his report about his sister being beaten.

Dartgod
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
he showed up in Boone's flashback for a few seconds. He was being arrested at the same police station where Boone was filing his report about his sister being beaten.
I was trying to remember and couldn't. When they were doing Sawyers back story, was he arrested in it?

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I was trying to remember and couldn't. When they were doing Sawyers back story, was he arrested in it?

Not that I remember. Plus, I dont remember any of Sawyers flashback taking place in Australia??

Bearcat
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM

I remember them saying "maybe it was someone that wants to stay on the island", and at the time, I thought of Locke... don't remember if it was anything specific that lead me to that conclusion though.

Did you guys address the issue of the compass? Sorry, I'm the kid that showed up 5 minutes before class was over...

I really thought they were going somewhere with that (no pun intended). Sayid finds out the French woman's calculations were off by using the bad compass... or Sayid wanders through the woods in the wrong direction using the compass, and finds something Locke wanted him to find. Seemed like a good path, but I don't see how it can't be a dead end now.

INCEST IS BEST!

[Not Another Teen Movie]

I don't care if we have the same mother,
Tonight, I'm going to f*ck my own brother

[/NATM]

ROFL

Has everyone forgotten/overlooked the fact this is a TV Series? If they give everything to you, the show is over. I love the show, but getting annoyed just like everyone else. Yet you've got to accept the fact they will not give the viewers anything until another storyline has been concocted to take it's place for drama/suspense purposes and series longevity.

And by the way...Kate, definitely Kate!!!

People today have very short attention spans. I'm just afraid that if they keep cutting us off and not answering any questions, I'm going to get distracted by something shiny and move on.

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 10:51 AM

Which Bob Dole stated and prompted beer me's statement.

Do you even read the threads?

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Which Bob Dole stated and prompted beer me's statement.

Do you even read the threads?

Nope, never...

Fairplay
01-19-2005, 05:55 PM
"Bump"

Fairplay
01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Locke can show Walt how to play mumbly peg next.

cheeeefs
01-19-2005, 06:58 PM
this is a show I think best watched on DVD after it's out so you can "powerwatch" it and not have to wait week to week whilst being upset for sometimes wating 7 days to not get told very much of the main plot.

Mile High Mania
01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Claire looked hungover...

Dartgod
01-19-2005, 07:24 PM
this is a show I think best watched on DVD after it's out so you can "powerwatch" it and not have to wait week to week whilst being upset for sometimes wating 7 days to not get told very much of the main plot.
Or 14 days since they are apparently showing another f***ing re-run next week. :cuss:

KcMizzou
01-19-2005, 07:26 PM
This is the first episode I've watched in a few weeks. Nice to see Sawyer's still hording things. Like Fraz said... that seems to be the only point to his character.

Also... that was some really, really, bad CGI on the bear.

I agree that the show's slipping. Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

chiefs4me
01-19-2005, 07:45 PM
This is the first episode I've watched in a few weeks. Nice to see Sawyer's still hording things. Like Fraz said... that seems to be the only point to his character.

Also... that was some really, really, bad CGI on the bear.

I agree that the show's slipping. Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

I am still as interested in the show,,I think it's great.:thumb:

I wouldn't say that Sawyer hordes things,,he just always seems to be the one that finds them. Sawyer is HOT:p

I do agree with you on the bear though,,I mean what was that,,it was mainly just a white blob on my screen.:hmmm:

Frazod
01-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Just got done watching it. This episode was certainly better than last week's.

So apparently Ethan's a babysnatcher. That's creepy.

And I'm glad they played down the Sawyer thing into just a couple of minutes. Enough with that shit already.

Can't believe they're doing a f#cking rerun next week. Evil bastards. 4321

chiefs4me
01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Claire looked hungover...

And if I had to choose,,I would say SHE did not look pregnant.

Chiefnj
01-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, better than the past week or so, but what's up with the repeats? Does anyone know if they will air originals in two weeks??

Frazod
01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, better than the past week or so, but what's up with the repeats? Does anyone know if they will air originals in two weeks??

God I hope so. These reruns are PISSING ME OFF! :cuss:

Deberg_1990
01-19-2005, 09:16 PM

Yes, of course they will. It will be all originals in Febuary as that is sweeps month. Probably why its a repeat next week because they save the best stuff for sweeps months.

KcMizzou
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes, of course they will. It will be all originals in Febuary as that is sweeps month. Probably why its a repeat next week because they save the best stuff for sweeps months. Good point. If it's gonna get better again... that'll be the time.

ZootedGranny
01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Next new episode airs Feb 9th.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
While watching the polar bear act like your surly raiderfan tonite, it occurred to me that nobody has bothered to pick up a stick and whittle out a caveman spear. Seems like a useful plan to me. Not exactly hi tech, but a thing of beauty when you poke enough of 'em into your pesky polar bear that can't get at you thru the super-bamboo.

I can't wait to find out why it's freakin' polar bears annoying the survivors. Are they all lost on a giant Frenchie York Peppermint patty, or what?

KcMizzou
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
While watching the polar bear act like your surly raiderfan tonite, it occurred to me that nobody has bothered to pick up a stick and whittle out a caveman spear. Seems like a useful plan to me. Not exactly hi tech, but a thing of beauty when you poke enough of 'em into your pesky polar bear that can't get at you thru the super-bamboo.

I can't wait to find out why it's freakin' polar bears annoying the survivors. Are they all lost on a giant Frenchie York Peppermint patty, or what? Maybe it's kinda like a Twilight Zone episode I once saw.. where whatever the kid imagined.. became reality. I mean... the polar bear in the comic book... hell I dunno.

But I'm still curious, and I suppose that's the goal.

Frazod
01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Maybe it's kinda like a Twilight Zone episode I once saw.. where whatever the kid imagined.. became reality. I mean... the polar bear in the comic book... hell I dunno.

That makes a lot of sense.

siberian khatru
01-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's kinda like a Twilight Zone episode I once saw.. where whatever the kid imagined.. became reality. I mean... the polar bear in the comic book... hell I dunno.

And the bird that flew into the glass door -- as the kid was studying a book on birds ... :hmmm:

Alton deFlat
01-20-2005, 07:43 AM
OK, something I have to wonder. What the hell is the damn dog eating, and still looking well fed? I know they're catching some fish, mostly caught by the Korean dude. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna give my portion to he dog. And when is someone (maybe Hurley) going to get hungry enough, to imagine Golden Retriever roasting over an open flame. Don't Koreans eat dog?? On second thought, probably not Hurley. He couldn't even stomach the sea urchin. I do love the show though. That episode was better than the last few.

Rausch
01-20-2005, 07:51 AM
That makes a lot of sense.

The way it appeared to me was that what ANYONE on the island wanted/craved/desired appeared. It's like one giant vision quest.

But the kid seemed to have a limited ability to do this before even crashing on the island, and it looks like that's enabling him to have even more of an ability to "make $3it happen" than the average stranded guy.

It looks like the Doc's dad is either alive after being dead, or just his body missing, but he's "seen" his dad. Same with the incest-love'n-pretty boy and his psycho-bidge sister. He saw what he wanted to see.

It's got a very "Sphere" atmosphere to it...

Bearcat
01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Wow... not even a full page of responses... guess we're losing interest :shrug:

I didn't think last night's episode was all that great, because it was just more of the same.....

Like the raft idea... is that just another idea that's going to disappear? Will they come back to Claire in the next new episode, or will it be two episodes away? Are they going to go explore for the black rock right away, or wait? Will they ever go anywhere with the hatch? I know they all seem to have their reasons for wanting to stay on the island, but these people are very unproductive.

The kid part was cool though.... the dead bird thing got me wondering if he was the one that made the plane crash.

Ultra Peanut
01-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Next new episode airs Feb 9th.God damnit. I wouldn't have blazed through the four most recent episodes last night if I had known that.

This show is still completely ****ing awesome. Last night's backstory was one of the best yet.

Fairplay
01-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Ok ladies and gentlemen who keep up with the series LOST. I think the last episode was a key to whats going on at the island, though when you bring up a theory, it seems to bring up more questions then it answers.
Walt the boy, seems to have provided a little insight to the mysterious happenings on the island. Recall when it went back to his past and he made the bird run into the glass when he didn't like what was going on?
Perhaps that it symbolic of him causing the plane to crash in the first place. Remember that he wasn't happy going on the trip with his dad. And apparently he can "will" some things to happen.
The comic book shows it was him all along that can "create" the polar bear to come about. Perhaps it is also him who creates the supposive monster you never see in the forest as well.
Also a key, Locke said told Walt to invision the knife being thrown at the target and he did it. Maybe Walt has powers he can't quite understand, and is a key to the island. While Locke is sort of its guide. Maybe Locke has to fine tune Walt also of what he needs to do later on. Maybe the black rock is the represents the dark side while later there could be an icon on the island for good?
I think there is a good vs evil thing going on that is much to big and complicated at this point, but the signs are out there.
Claire, lost with child. Is a key no doubt. And Lockes importance to get her. Also does he need Walts help to open the latch ?

I could go on more, but i have to say that LOST is by far (compared to normal primetime TV programs), a far intelligent series. One that im sure took many months to covince ABC executives to give the green light to produce the show. Which compared to staged series (studio set), was more costly to produce. ABC took a chance, and its paying off.

Also props to the casting person in charge of getting this talented but at low costs cast for the series LOST.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Great episode. SO I guess Walt is the chosen one or something?? Does anyone else wonder what do they give Walts dog for dog food?? Bananas??

Dartgod
01-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Great episode. SO I guess Walt is the chosen one or something?? Does anyone else wonder what do they give Walts dog for dog food?? Bananas??
This is easy. The dog is obviously digging up the corpses from the plane crash at night.

Baby Lee
01-22-2005, 09:57 AM
This is easy. The dog is obviously digging up the corpses from the plane crash at night.
The corpses were immoliated in the fuselage by the survivors.

Dartgod
01-22-2005, 11:25 AM
The corpses were immoliated in the fuselage by the survivors.
Eh, I'm sure that there's a cadaver or two somewhere in the jungle that landed some distance from the actual wreckage.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Eh, I'm sure that there's a cadaver or two somewhere in the jungle that landed some distance from the actual wreckage.

Did you hear about the island-dog survivor who didn't like mailmen?

So he ate the dead insurance guy & a pretty ripe salesman instead.

Michael Michigan
01-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Great episode. SO I guess Walt is the chosen one or something??

More like Damien.

:evil:

Deberg_1990
01-22-2005, 12:57 PM
More like Damien.

:evil:

Yea true.....then that would mean that Claires baby is the "Chosen one" then. I get it now!!

Rausch
01-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Yea true.....then that would mean that Claires baby is the "Chosen one" then. I get it now!!

I think it's quite the opposite...

Claire's baby is supposed to be some damien kid and Walt Skyywalker seems to be the good guy in training character...

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Either way, the final episode of the series is going to feature Walt and Claire's baby facing off amidst the eviscerated corpses of the rest of the island's inhabitants.

KcMizzou
01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I think it's quite the opposite...

Claire's baby is supposed to be some damien kid and Walt Skyywalker seems to be the good guy in training character... "The Stand Part 2 : Gilligans Island"

Deberg_1990
01-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Claire's baby is supposed to be some damien kid and Walt Skyywalker seems to be the good guy in training character...

Possibly?? But then why did the freaky palm reader guy make sure that Claire was the one who needed to raise the baby herself?? He wanted to make sure it didnt turn out evil?? BTW, she better be having that baby like real soon. She was having contractions like a month ago, which would be about 4 or 5 days "tv show" time. Id say shes due about any day now.

BigMeatballDave
01-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Great episode. SO I guess Walt is the chosen one or something?? Does anyone else wonder what do they give Walts dog for dog food?? Bananas??Some dogs like to eat shit...

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Possibly?? But then why did the freaky palm reader guy make sure that Claire was the one who needed to raise the baby herself?? He wanted to make sure it didnt turn out evil?? BTW, she better be having that baby like real soon. She was having contractions like a month ago, which would be about 4 or 5 days "tv show" time. Id say shes due about any day now.I thought she looked very unpregnant while she was coming out of the bushes. It was dark, but still... I'm thinking she's no longer "with child."

Deberg_1990
01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I thought she looked very unpregnant while she was coming out of the bushes. It was dark, but still... I'm thinking she's no longer "with child."

just looked at it again with TIVO....Inconclusive at this time. It was really too dark to make a judgement.

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
By the way, the thing I like about Walt is that he's just another interesting, somewhat mysterious character. He's not some token kid thrown in there for the cute factor. Malcolm David Kelley can actually act.

Rausch
01-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Some dogs like to eat shit...

ROFL

That's a fuggen deep thought or bumper sticker waiting to happen...

Rausch
01-22-2005, 01:20 PM
By the way, the thing I like about Walt is that he's just another interesting, somewhat mysterious character. He's not some token kid thrown in there for the cute factor. Malcolm David Kelley can actually act.

Which is rare. Child actors usually annoy the **** outta' me...

Baby Lee
01-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Which is rare. Child actors usually annoy the **** outta' me...
Even the talented ones. Dakota Fanning is a talented child actress, but she just drips with that "I'm a hypertalented child actor" tude.

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Which is rare. Child actors usually annoy the **** outta' me...Indeed.

Fairplay
02-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Here is an interesting article on the Lost show.

No Spoilers, i promise!

Kind of a long read, but good.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/01/26/news/story2.html

LOST opportunity
ABC TV
Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly and Josh Holloway star in "Lost," filmed in Hawaii. Producers of the hit TV show are voicing doubts about continued production here.

High filming costs force
ABC network executives
to consider relocating

The hit television series "Lost," which is spending about $45 million in Hawaii in its first season on ABC, likely will relocate unless state and studio executives can find ways to offset the high cost of filming here.

"Nobody wants to move, but this is a business and we must consider options to cut expenses," said producer Jean Higgins.

The sentiment is shared by other ABC/Touchstone executives who agreed that the series is losing about $500,000 an episode, or $11 million for the first season's 22 episodes. Season one filming ends in April.

"Lost," with its ensemble cast, costly sound stage, office and storage space and crew expenses, arguably is the most expensive series on television, costing $2.5 million to $2.8 million an episode, several sources said. The series has cost at least $60 million to date, with 75 percent of its budget spent in Hawaii. About half of that spending is local crew salaries.

Hawaii production costs can be as much as 35 percent higher than in Los Angeles, but the higher costs of "Lost" are in the 25 percent to 30 percent range, several sources said.

State officials are taking steps to try to keep the highly watched weekly drama.

"We're actively working through the process and have had many discussions with ABC about these issues and possible solutions," said Ted Liu, director of the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. "We do not yet have (an assistance) package ready."

One of the major issues for producers is the higher cost to film in Hawaii.

"This is all tied into (ABC/Touchstone's) perception of the cost differential between filming in Hawaii and Los Angeles," said Liu. He said the differential is less than 35 percent.

A conference call earlier this month between production executives in Los Angeles and Liu; Judy Drosd, chief officer of the Arts, Film and Entertainment Division of DBEDT, and Donne Dawson, Hawaii Film Office director, centered on ways to lower production costs, including using state tax credits available for investments in high-tech businesses, sources said.

The state's options are limited, though it could allow the production to use the Hawaii Film Studio rent-free, which would save ABC/Touchstone about $500,000 a year. The Hawaii Film Studio, which has a 16,500-square-foot sound stage, is being used by Fox Television's "North Shore" hotel drama.

The annual savings on sound-stage costs, however, would not be enough to keep "Lost" in Hawaii, ABC sources said.

Liu believes ABC/Touchstone wants to remain in Hawaii because "they've been successful here and cast and crew are happy."

"If I were a producer, I would say, 'Why tinker with a model that's worked?'" he said.

Jorge Garcia, who plays Hurley in the show, said the subject of relocating has been mentioned a few times. "We all immediately shoot it down," he says.

Liu said he hopes to have an assistance package ready by the end of February.

"Whatever we come up with, the state must be comfortable that it can offer this to other productions as well, and that's what is taking us time to prepare," Liu said.

"Lost" will get no special deal, he said: "That would be the worst for the industry, the worst for Hawaii, and the state ends up with everyone being suspicious and unhappy."

Another option has the state helping "Lost" get discounted contracts with local vendors for vehicle rentals, air transportation and accommodations, said Marsha Wienert, the state's tourism liaison. The production won't disclose these costs, but the amount saved likely would do little to offset the series' deficit.

According to several sources, "Lost" producers spend about $70,000 a month for its 30,000-square-foot sound stage in the former Xerox building, office space at Dole Cannery and storage units. The production also spends as much as $20,000 a month on a special air-conditioning system to cool the stage.

Because the show's current sound stage can only hold one major set, the production has had to do more shooting outdoors, adding $30,000 to $60,000 an episode to the budget, sources said.

The public may perceive that since the series is a hit, it's making money. But "Lost" is "not a bona fide hit" financially until it runs five years then goes into syndication, an executive said.

A major reason for the "Lost" budget problems surrounds Act 221.

ABC/Touchstone expected to raise as much as 20 percent of the show's budget from selling investment credits under the act, which is designed to encourage investment in the state's fledgling high-tech industry. For qualifying investments, the act provides a 100-percent tax credit over five years. According to sources, the Department of Taxation allowed fewer tax credits for each dollar invested than expected, which caused the budget deficit. Details of Act 221 transactions are confidential.

Some Hollywood filmmakers say the administration and Tax Department are being overly careful in granting Act 221 investment credits after production companies for "Blue Crush" and "The Big Bounce" films a few years ago received especially high returns. Universal reportedly got a $15 million to $18 million tax credit on the $41 million budget of "Blue Crush"; Warner Bros. received $13 million in tax credits on the $53 million budget of "The Big Bounce."

Some state officials and the public believed that "Blue Crush" took advantage of the legislation, which lawmakers later agreed had been too liberally written. The act has been tightened and applications more scrutinized.

"What happened back then can't happen now," Drosd said.

The Hawaii Film Office, the local Screen Actors Guild and others within the state's production industry this legislative session will propose a bill that provides a 15 percent to 20 percent tax credit for money that productions spend in Hawaii. The bill won't be voted on until after ABC/Touchstone executives decide whether to relocate.

The bill would allow productions to factor rebates into their budgets. The state currently offers productions a refundable 4-percent production expense and 100-percent hotel room tax credit, based on qualifying criteria. Several states offer production expense incentives more attractive than Hawaii's production and hotel room tax.

Competition to attract productions has become so intense that New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson traveled to Hollywood last year to meet with executives from Universal, Dreamworks SKG, Warner Brothers, MGM and Paramount studios to lure them to his state. Since Richardson took office, 14 films have been shot in New Mexico, including the remake of "The Longest Yard," which star Adam Sandler wanted to shoot in Hawaii.

No Hawaii governor has traveled to Hollywood to help promote the industry.

If Hawaii loses "Lost," it's losing a wealthy neighbor that has spent heavily with local businesses.

When ABC/Touchstone was preparing its camera equipment order prior to arriving in Hawaii last spring, executives required supplier Panavision to open a Hawaii company. The production also uses Hawaiian and Aloha airlines exclusively to transport actors, executives and crew to and from Los Angeles.

Kclee
02-09-2005, 12:07 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/lost.html

Short clips for tonights episode. Looks to be good. After that, Duke vs North Carolina on ESPN. Also looks to be good.

Fairplay
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello all you LOST series groupies,

Thankfully a new episode is on tonight. I for one is starting to get tired of the two episodes of reruns to the one new episode ABC is pulling off.
But myself i keep up with nothing else imparticular at the moment.

The network by now should see the show is a hit and get with it on tapeing more episodes, i mean like WTF?

Fairplay
02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
He will kill another, and another, an another. Hes saveing Charlie for last. This reminds me of a line Arnold said it the movie Commando.

Fairplay
02-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I think that one dude may have died?

Michael Michigan
02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
who the hell is scott?

Fairplay
02-09-2005, 06:41 PM
who the hell is scott?

I guess an expendible. Honestly i don't know.

Deberg_1990
02-10-2005, 05:48 AM
who the hell is scott?

I thought his name was Steve??

Anyways, he was one of the dudes running around in the background for a few episodes. I think they actually gave him a speaking line maybe 1 time. So how many survivors does this leave now? 46? They are slowing started to show a few more. Tonight they showed 3 more people that i had never seen before. They were the ones scared to hang around Claire in the caves.

Thig Lyfe
02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Great episode last night...