PDA

View Full Version : For those that have visited the ROK

Cntrygal
10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
REMEMBERING THE LAND OF THE NOT QUITE RIGHT

- It's 0201 hrs, Sunday morning, and you're still downtown
- Happy teriyaki is no longer a food group
- You can slam 3 beers before your friends can finish their first
- Mmmmmm....Miss Lee's McDonalds Burgers......
- You can't stop saying, "When I was at Osan.." or "At Osan I/we.."
- The thought of hearing, "EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE...CONDITION BLUE..MOPP 4!!" Makes you think, "Ahhh, those were the good ol'days.."
- Remembering your first Soju Experience brings a smile to your face
- You haven't had a hand job in a club since you left
- Coming through the main gate late at night isn't as exciting...you don't feel like Harrison Ford in the Fugitive" running from Town Patrol, ducking into alleys, looking around corners just trying to make it
- You can't DJ for your beer any more
- Your co-workers think that drinking beer at 1601 hrs, on a workday, in the office, is absurd
- You leave work by 1630 hrs everyday
- For some reason you now have a deep love for Russia
- Clean snow
- No water-main breaks, No Power or Water Outages
- You can talk to women in bars for free
- DEROS doesn't mean anything to you anymore
- Your wife/husband/kids are starting to get on your nerves again
- You quit getting drunk enough to piss the bed
- At home, you actually have to leave the room to get a beer
- You "can" find something to do
- Don't know what you did with your Unit "Coin"
- Can't find a bottle of Jinro Soju Anywhere
- The guy drawing your Blood Alcohol Test doesn't smell like booze
- Fresh Air
- Being "turned down" by some of the ugliest girls in the world (Osan Queens) is a thing of the past
- Think to yourself, "Damn, I shoulda bought that when I was over there!"
- Your friends don't have to carry you home any more
- Haven't thought or muttered the following: "I hate this !@#$%^& place!" or "This !@#$%^& place sucks!"
- You're now using the items that used to be in your mobility/personal bag
- The thought of walking somewhere is simply "ridiculous"
- Your backpack is stuffed in the closet somewhere
- During the week, you're in bed asleep by 2100 hrs
- On the weekends, you're in bed asleep by 2100 hrs
- Wake up for work and you're "sober"
- Leave work and you're "sober"
- Malls
- Exotic dancers that really dance
- You ask the lady bartender for an "OB" and she looks at you funny
- No one knows what a "Freedom Bird" is..
- Commercials
- Current movies
- Haven't seen a "Patriot Missile" battery in a while
- Buy all the liquor you want
- Women with large breasts and big butts are a dime a dozen
- Sunday NFL is actually "on" Sunday
- Have a craving for Kim-Chi or Bulgoki
- New music
- Taco Bell
- Nobody appreciates a good game of "Bones" on Friday's after work
- When you start to think, "Korea wasn't so bad..." or "12 Months went by fast.."
- Come to the conclusion: Soju really "is" the BOMB!!!
-You constantly talk about:
White Dog, Ammo Bowl, Aragon Alley, Juicy Girls, My House-down, Giant Club, Golden Gate, TheWax Show, Heavy Metal, Yaki-bag, Flower Lady, Jungle Juice, The 'Ville, Popeye's, The CE hooch, Station Club, OB House, Mustang, Challenger, La Cantina, Hill 180,The Train Tracks, USA Blankets, Challenge Coins, Wing-Man, Benjo ditches, The Flying Chicken, Green/Brown Bean, OHOP, OHouse, AFKN, Eagle FM, the "scooter", Burger Bar, Town Patrol, Bottles of Bacchus, Combat Bottles, Chin Mok, Morale Calls, kimchi Bus, AAFES taxi service, "Short" Calendar, Hashing, Book Mark, Back Massages at the Barber Shop, Mini Mall, Monsoon, Blackcats, (Loungee) Red Horse, Ponchos, Parkas, Long-Johns, Sam Il, Bulgogi House, Mobility Teams, Off limits areas, All (4) Mo-bags, Chem-gear, STAR Training, ULCHI FOCUS LENS (UFL), Foal Eagle, Walking home in condition black-MOPP 4, Osan Ni, I Tae Won, Pac-House, Dragon Hill, Latino night, Phoenix Hotel, Penthouse, Crystal Club, Golden Bell, Ironhorse, Zanadu, Dragon Club, Young Chan Club, Eagles Club, Ajooma, Adashi, Mikju, Cheap Charlie, No Money No Honey, 784-4121/4122, The Pavilion, Sand-Bag detail, ATSO guide,Sign/Counter-sign, P-Bromide, EET, UCC, Mike's BBQ, Wolfpack Wheels, Condition Red, "Leading the Charge", Mustang Country, Flying Fiends, Project Cheer, Block Parties, Turtle Park, Mig-Alley Flyer, Burger King, Talk-Tips, Today's Pick City, The "Hump", Sang Tan, Tunnel 3, Kegoggi, Packing...

Rain Man
10-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I've never had a craving for kimchi.

Braincase
10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
I've never had a craving for kimchi.

I've had the sanitized American version. It's OK. But what the hell is a "Freedom Bird"?

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 09:02 AM
I've had the sanitized American version. It's OK. But what the hell is a "Freedom Bird"?
The plane that comes to take you home.

R&GHomer
10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
"You can talk to Woman in Bars for free"

But your not Guaranteed the goods for $20

MOhillbilly
10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Here ya go.this is a pic or my bro and his wife in the ROK.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2004, 10:06 AM
I Tae Won

is that the hooker hill?

HarryParatestes
10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanx for the smiles Gal...

I KNEW you'd start to miss it a little..told you so before you DEROS'ed !

No matter how screwed up duty in The ROK is, stateside duty is, well, boring by comparison.

I did my tour up north in the 2ID. Back "in the day" when only 20% of the Co. could be off post after midnight. And the Command always wondered why we'd all lose the wire cutters from our toolboxes!

Thanx for the memories... :thumb: :clap:

go bowe
10-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Here ya go.this is a pic or my bro and his wife in the ROK.wow, she's really good looking for a korean girl!

Iowanian
10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
how about
"poooon tan gooooo choice, cowboy!" means something to you?

My cousin is over there now and has some interesting stories of the night life.............and how its not a good idea to go out if you're American and not in a group. He says the ROK males aren't the biggest fans of American soldiers, their money, or donging their women.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2004, 10:56 AM
wow, she's really good looking for a korean girl!

What?

Cntrygal
10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanx for the smiles Gal...

I KNEW you'd start to miss it a little..told you so before you DEROS'ed !

No matter how screwed up duty in The ROK is, stateside duty is, well, boring by comparison.

I did my tour up north in the 2ID. Back "in the day" when only 20% of the Co. could be off post after midnight. And the Command always wondered why we'd all lose the wire cutters from our toolboxes!

Thanx for the memories... :thumb: :clap:

You're welcome.... BUT, I don't miss it AT ALL. A friend of mine just left there for Germany and she sent that out to everyone that "left her behind". lol

Cntrygal
10-12-2004, 06:47 PM
My cousin is over there now and has some interesting stories of the night life.............and how its not a good idea to go out if you're American and not in a group. He says the ROK males aren't the biggest fans of American soldiers, their money, or donging their women.

Where abouts is he? We didn't have any trouble with the locals (didn't receive any special briefings/warnings either).

DenverChief
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Here ya go.this is a pic or my bro and his wife in the ROK.

Gawd I miss those little Korean food huts

DenverChief
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
I Tae Won

is that the hooker hill?
YES

http://koreancentennial.org/itaewon.gif

DenverChief
10-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey Cntrygal thanks fpr the trip down memory lane :)

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I was stationed in Kunsan in 1968. We weren't allowed to have spouses in the country. Japan was as close as they could get.

DenverChief
10-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I was stationed in Kunsan in 1968. We weren't allowed to have spouses in the country. Japan was as close as they could get.
Yeah when I was thee it was usually only NCO's that had family over there and it was hard to get approval for because they had to find off base housing....Munsan here

Bowser
10-12-2004, 08:01 PM
I Tae Won

is that the hooker hill?

It was called Shadow Alley in Okinawa. Uhhh, so I'm told, of course!

Although I never went TDY to Korea, alot of that applies to Okinawa as well! Thanks for the laughs, 'Gal!

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah when I was thee it was usually only NCO's that had family over there and it was hard to get approval for because they had to find off base housing....Munsan here
Not NCO's, not officers, not the General were allowed spouses when I was there. But the N. Koreans had just captured the Pueblo and we were on alert. Sometimes I was drunkenly alert.