PDA

View Full Version : US Congress passes Steroid Control Act

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Blaming Caminiti's death on roids makes about as much sence as blaming it on him eating jello in grade school. Hello people the guys on Coke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
US Congress passes Steroid Control Act

October 12, 2004
WASHINGTON (AFP) - US lawmakers passed legislation allowing tighter government regulation of steroid precursors, one day after the death of former baseball star Ken Caminiti, an admitted steroid user.

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act would add androstenedione, norandrosterone and similar testosterone-production enhancing substances to a list of anabolic steroids regarded as controlled substances.

The legislation allows the US Drug Enforcement Agency to regulate these products as anabolic steroids under the Controlled Substances Act.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mark McGwire admitted taking andro during a record-breaking 70 home run season in 1998, back when the substance was not banned by the US baseball league, which only began steroid testing of players this season.

"This important legislation will help us reach our goal of zero tolerance in the battle against steroids," major league commissioner Bud Selig said.

"This will allow us to test for steroid precursors, just as we are currently testing for steroids, as part of our regular testing."

A bill to amend the Controlled Substances Act, toughening penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, was put forth on March 1 and passed by the US House of Representatives in June.

Caminiti, who played in the major leagues for 15 years, died of an apparent heart attack Sunday at age 41. He had admitted to using steroids during his Most Valuable Player season in 1996, when he hit .326 with 40 homers and 130 runs batted in for the San Diego Padres .

As with athletics, baseball has been criticized since the BALCO Labs steroid scandal broke a year ago.

BALCO founder Victor Conte and vice president James Valente, athletics coach Remi Korchemny and Greg Anderson, the personal trainer for baseball star Barry Bonds, have all pleaded not guilty to steroid distribution charges in the case.

Grand jury testimony saw many top sports figures testify, including San Francisco star Bonds and Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi of the New York Yankees .

Drug testing was a key part of the labor deal baseball club owners signed with players in 2002. After between five and seven percent of players tested positive in anonymous testing last year, a tougher testing programme was installed, although global sports officials have called relatively light penalties by Olympic standards laughable.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Yeah, the whole coke thing probably didn't help.

I think given the history of early death among pro wrestlers is evidence enough of the effects of steroids though.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the whole coke thing probably didn't help.

I think given the history of early death among pro wrestlers is evidence enough of the effects of steroids though.

Dude those guys are on everything. Bodybuilders take huge quantities of roids for decades with no problems. Truth be known when any wrestler or bodybuilder dies they always talk about the roids and not whether they were on anphetemines or diuretics. Diuretics can kill and have been associated with heat attacks over and over but you don't hear about it because of the witch hunt for roids. This article is a great example, they talk about roids and don't even mention the coke problem, what kind of journalism is that? Your just buying into the hype.

Here is an example of a guy who is currently 73 and probably as healthy as about anyone on this BB after over 30 years of heavy roid usage.

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/albertbeckles.html

MichaelH
10-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Dude those guys are on everything. Bodybuilders take huge quantities of roids for decades with no problems. Truth be known when any wrestler or bodybuilder dies they always talk about the roids and not whether they were on anphetemines or diuretics. Diuretics can kill and have been associated with heat attacks over and over but you don't hear about it because of the witch hunt for roids. This article is a great example, they talk about roids and don't even mention the coke problem, what kind of journalism is that? Your just buying into the hype.

Here is an example of a guy who is currently 73 and probably as healthy as about anyone on this BB after over 30 years of heavy roid usage.

I guess it's not important his nuts are the size of raisins. :)

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 01:16 PM

I know what you're saying. Obviously the news media is going to use the early death of a pro baseball player who admitted using rhoids as an opportunity to engage the issue. Almost anything done in excess can have extremely negative health consequences.

I'm confused though, are you actually advocating the use of anabolic steroids? If so, I can't possibly agree w/ you on that one. I've seen first hand evidence of the damage to a friends body due to their use.

Demonpenz
10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I see your point bd, but what would you like to do. Make it legal for everyone?

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I know what you're saying. Obviously the news media is going to use the early death of a pro baseball player who admitted using rhoids as an opportunity to engage the issue. Almost anything done in excess can have extremely negative health consequences.

I'm confused though, are you actually advocating the use of anabolic steroids? If so, I can't possibly agree w/ you on that one. I've seen first hand evidence of the damage to a friends body due to their use.

Damage? Abused anything can damage.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 02:45 PM
I see your point bd, but what would you like to do. Make it legal for everyone?

Countries where it is legal don't have issues. My biggest bitch about this is that there are great products out there like the pre-cursors like 1-AD. This is an awesome product for aging Americans. If your concerned about kids make it illegal for kids. Problem now is the people you are trying to protect the most you will hurt. If a kid is determined to boost their tetosterone level they will now get dirty shit out of Mexico which does have health risks involved. Comparing Andro to real steroids is like comparing Coors beer to white lightening. This is just piss poor legislation IMO. It will open the door to go after additional supplements also. IT wasn't that long ago the goverment was trying to outlaw all supplements right down to you multi vitamin and a big pharmceutical money grab, this is no different. The big boys want these small pharmaceutical companies crushed so they can steal that market share through prescriptions.

Demonpenz
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Maybe instead of steriods you just get your ass in the gym more. I lift and don't need that shit, my steriods is HARD WORK!

Just giving you shit

Demonpenz
10-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Honestly i am pretty selfish, if i lift into my 40's and don't want to loose my muscle. I would take something to keep what i have without working twice as hard.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Maybe instead of steriods you just get your ass in the gym more. I lift and don't need that shit, my steriods is HARD WORK!

Just giving you shit

I'm not on anything, were working on having a kid. I did take the 1-AD about a year ago though, it's a nice little boost.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I guess my judgement is colored a little by what I've seen of it. I've got a friend that used just as a little "extra" just to give him that edge for about 5 years.

He's now got a heart murmur that he never had before, kidney damage, and fertility issues. Other than the roids, the guy's always been a health freak.

I just don't get the point of them. Seems to me that if you're doing that much work to improve your body, you'd want to stay away from stuff that'd harm it.

ChiefsOne
10-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Coors beer to white lightening

I take offense to that BD, I like Coors!

Agree with you take, moderation is the key. Look at Arnold and Lou, plus millions more that has been on the stuff for years and they "seem" OK. Just like anything else some people have adverse side effects to things and other don't.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I guess my judgement is colored a little by what I've seen of it. I've got a friend that used just as a little "extra" just to give him that edge for about 5 years.

He's now got a heart murmur that he never had before, kidney damage, and fertility issues. Other than the roids, the guy's always been a health freak.

I just don't get the point of them. Seems to me that if you're doing that much work to improve your body, you'd want to stay away from stuff that'd harm it.

Before cycling was well known a lot of people hurt themselves. I know many people who have used them for decades without problems. You do have fertility issues for a small period of time coming off them though. If you use them heavily that time can be extended. Taking Andro off the market was stupid though, it's just another money grab wrapped in a "were doing for the kids" package. It will do more harm than good

jAZ
10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
How is BD's thread not overtly political and still in the main forum when this thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100861

... was moved within minutes to DC?

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
How is BD's thread not overtly political and still in the main forum when this thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100861

... was moved within minutes to DC?

:deevee: See this what happens when you have a lack of testosterone. Pretty obvious to me that this subject is very sports related but hey maybe that's just me.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
I didn't take it as politics but rather a sports related topic. :shrug:

jAZ
10-12-2004, 03:55 PM
:deevee: See this what happens when you have a lack of testosterone. Pretty obvious to me that this subject is very sports related but hey maybe that's just me.
You can throw as many :deevee:'s and personal attacks out that you want, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't want your thread moved to DC. I want to understand why mine was moved almost immediately and yours has been here for hours.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 03:56 PM
I didn't take it as politics but rather a sports related topic. :shrug:
It's certainly both.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 03:59 PM
What part of BD's first post was political?

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:00 PM
What part of BD's first post was political?
The part where he's complaining about Congress' decision to pass a steroid act...

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
The part where he's complaining about Congress' decision to pass a steroid act...

I don't see anywhere in his first post where he's complaining about congress. I do see where he complained about people blaming Caminiti's death on roids rather than the cocaine he used.

I don't see any punditism in BD's first post that would warrant it being in WDC. Seems more like an issue about roids/sports to me. :shrug: JMO

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't see anywhere in his first post where he's complaining about congress. I do see where he complained about people blaming Caminiti's death on roids rather than the cocaine he used.

I don't see any punditism in BD's first post that would warrant it being in WDC. Seems more like an issue about roids/sports to me. :shrug: JMO
You are kidding, right? The entire point of this thread is that he is upset with Congress' decision. It's been one of his long standing political issues for years now. It's one of the big things he hates about Bush and McCain both.

This is both politics and sports. Not sure why you are playing the role of the ostritch today, but whatever.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
You can throw as many :deevee:'s and personal attacks out that you want, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't want your thread moved to DC. I want to understand why mine was moved almost immediately and yours has been here for hours.

Because your a certified card carrying victim. All victim's threads are immediatly moved to DC.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Because your a certified card carrying victim. All victim's threads are immediatly moved to DC.
Does this make you a certified card carrying bully? Or maybe victimizer?

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Does this make you a certified card carrying bully? Or maybe victimizer?

I don't know about all that, I just like spitting on it and sticking it in.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 04:14 PM
You are kidding, right? The entire point of this thread is that he is upset with Congress' decision. It's been one of his long standing political issues for years now. It's one of the big things he hates about Bush and McCain both.

This is both politics and sports. Not sure why you are playing the role of the ostritch today, but whatever.

Well, I wasn't aware that it was one of his hated things about the administration. To me, that wasn't the motive from his initial post. Obviously the thread morphed into his views on steroid regulation. So you can see how I would interpret it as just a thread about the stupidity of blaming the roids rather than the coke he used for his heart attack.

I'm not sure why you're being a jerk to me about it. Go yell at a mod if you're pissed about your thread being moved in the past.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, I wasn't aware that it was one of his hated things about the administration. To me, that wasn't the motive from his initial post. Obviously the thread morphed into his views on steroid regulation. So you can see how I would interpret it as just a thread about the stupidity of blaming the roids rather than the coke he used for his heart attack.

I'm not sure why you're being a jerk to me about it. Go yell at a mod if you're pissed about your thread being moved in the past.

This is just what jaz does, he's a catcher.

Logical
10-12-2004, 04:18 PM

Almost every thread you do is political in nature so most likely you do not get the benefit of doubt.

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
This is just what jaz does, he's a catcher.

Seems to me there's bigger things to get your feathers ruffled about than whether or not one of your threads got moved earlier.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Given that BD has repeatedly made no secret about how this is a political issue for him, you might understand why I assumed you knew his views. If my assumption was faulty then accept my appologies for the ostritch comment.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Seems to me there's bigger things to get your feathers ruffled about than whether or not one of your threads got moved earlier.
You might notice I didn't mention it before today.

Calcountry
10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Perhaps it is because you are quoting the President from a political debate when you say "internets". :hmmm:

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Almost every thread you do is political in nature so most likely you do not get the benefit of doubt.
Untrue since football season started... not a single political thread or post since kickoff of game 1 over 5 weeks ago.

Calcountry
10-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Blinded by hate he is.

:shake:

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Given that BD has repeatedly made no secret about how this is a political issue for him, you might understand why I assumed you knew his views. If my assumption was faulty then accept my appologies for the ostritch comment.

It's a freedom to supplement as we see fit issue.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Whether I agree with your conclusions on the subject, at least we can both agree its about the politics of "supplements".

Soupnazi
10-12-2004, 04:35 PM

Fair enough.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Whether I agree with your conclusions on the subject, at least we can both agree its about the politics of "supplements".

You just throwing the word politics in there for effect. Taking about our rights to use supplemention or the media's skewed reporting by using Caminiti to promote a faulse perception by the community is far from political. I suppose it could get there at some point but it's really a stretch jaz. Thanks for turning a perfectly good thread into a waste. Next time you want to pee your panties do it somewhere else.

Cochise
10-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for turning a perfectly good thread into a waste. Next time you want to pee your panties do it somewhere else.

ROFL

Just as warm a reception to this kind of stuff over in the Lounge I see ROFL

jAZ
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Next time you want to pee your panties do it somewhere else.
Can I use this quote to respond to you the next time you go on one of your political rants over Congress or the President trying to ban steroids, or McCain trying to ban UFC?

Logical
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Untrue since football season started... not a single political thread or post since kickoff of game 1 over 5 weeks ago.

Since I have not been over in DC forum much I did not know. Kudos

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Can I use this quote to respond to you the next time you go on one of your political rants over Congress or the President trying to ban steroids, or McCain trying to ban UFC?

No it doesn't apply to me I'm a pitcher not a catcher.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 05:01 PM
No it doesn't apply to me I'm a pitcher not a catcher.
Ahh, well, I'll probably use it anyway.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Ahh, well, I'll probably use it anyway.

For someone that pimps themselves off as being so intelligent you would think you could come up with your own material istead of copying mine. Pretty pathetic if you think about it.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
For someone that pimps themselves off as being so intelligent you would think you could come up with your own material istead of copying mine. Pretty pathetic if you think about it.
I get a special kind of joy from using your own words against you.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I get a special kind of joy from using your own words against you.

Sounds like most of your takes on everything, totally lacking in originality. It's just another day here at the Planet of watching a bunch of regurgitated shit posted by jaz. Feel free to use my stuff anytime though, I kind of feel sorry you. Glad I could help.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I ... feel sorry you.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Never have I went :deevee: to one of your threads about me being a victim. There is a big difference between disagreeing with something and using someone elses thread to start your own cryfest. Cry on dude. Frankly I could give a rats ass where this thread is posted. If it had been moved who cares? For the life of me I don't know why you have turned into such a bitch. Now move along and go change your panties, you soiled this pair.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I hope you can get your refund... :p

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1005necpdirect05.html#

Maggie Galehouse
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 5, 2004 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - An estimated 450,000 people who purchased bogus nutritional supplements promising penis enlargements and breast enhancements may be entitled to a portion of the $50 million forfeited by C.P. Direct Inc.

The Scottsdale-based company, which did business as Nutritional Supplements Inc., sold more than $70 million in the phony pills and capsules between 2000 and 2002.

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard charged company officials with fraud and money laundering in 2003.

Principals Michael A. Consoli and Vincent J. Passafiume were sentenced in July to six months in jail.

Maricopa County Superior Court ruled that Longitude, the supplement for male enhancement, and Full & Firm, for female enhancement, did not work.

The court also found that the promoters used false "before and after" testimonials to hawk their products.

Longitude represented more than 90 percent of C.P. Direct's business, said Lawrence Warfield, the case's court-appointed receiver. The first bottle, which lasted 30 days, cost $59.99. After that, the company automatically shipped a bottle every month for $39.99 and charged the customer's credit card.

Warfield has heard from only 5,000 consumers. Anyone who bought any product from the company has until the end of the year to file for a refund.

Details: www.cp-receiver ship.com.

"We're trying to get the message out that these kinds of pills don't work," Warfield said.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I hope you can get your refund... :p

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1005necpdirect05.html#

Maggie Galehouse
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 5, 2004 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - An estimated 450,000 people who purchased bogus nutritional supplements promising penis enlargements and breast enhancements may be entitled to a portion of the $50 million forfeited by C.P. Direct Inc.

The Scottsdale-based company, which did business as Nutritional Supplements Inc., sold more than $70 million in the phony pills and capsules between 2000 and 2002.

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard charged company officials with fraud and money laundering in 2003.

Principals Michael A. Consoli and Vincent J. Passafiume were sentenced in July to six months in jail.

Maricopa County Superior Court ruled that Longitude, the supplement for male enhancement, and Full & Firm, for female enhancement, did not work.

The court also found that the promoters used false "before and after" testimonials to hawk their products.

Longitude represented more than 90 percent of C.P. Direct's business, said Lawrence Warfield, the case's court-appointed receiver. The first bottle, which lasted 30 days, cost $59.99. After that, the company automatically shipped a bottle every month for $39.99 and charged the customer's credit card.

Warfield has heard from only 5,000 consumers. Anyone who bought any product from the company has until the end of the year to file for a refund.

Details: www.cp-receiver ship.com.

"We're trying to get the message out that these kinds of pills don't work," Warfield said.

Warfield is right they don't work. Nice paradigm switch.

jAZ
10-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Warfield is right they don't work. Nice paradigm switch.
I'm sorry to hear you do know that. But I'm glad I could be of help.... getting the thread back on subject and getting you your money back.

No thank you's required...