PDA

View Full Version : When will Denver stop squeaking bye?

Tuckdaddy
10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
They have squeaked by the Bucs and mow Carolina. They will niot last much longer longer without better offensivwe production. Please don't give me stats, it's well know how their running game has gone down hill.

Mile High Mania
10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
It's called spell-checker... look into it. Either that or realize it's too early in the day to be boozin...

Right now, the Broncos are riding the success of their defense. This is pretty much what I proclaimed would have to happen if Denver was going to have a winning record through the first 4-5 games.

I stated that the offense would be off as the ground game improved and they would have to rely on the revamped defense to keep them in games. Now, the ground game has not steadily improved, but Ruben has to prove he is the real deal and not a one-week wonder against a soft Panthers' run defense. At this point, if Ruben can be the guy, Shanahan will let him be the guy. Griffin has shown nothing since the KC game and Bell isn't ready. So, if it's Ruben, I'm fine with that.

Jake made some bone-headed plays against Carolina, but he made some nice ones as well and he is proving to be building a fine connection with Lelie. And, Lelie is a big factor in this offense getting better.

If Jake and Lelie can continue to build chemistry, that opens things up for Rod, Putzier and the ground game. I've allowed myself to realize that Jake will make me want to punch a wall at least twice a game, but he's not losing games and that's all that matters right now.

Denver is 4-1 and while it's not pretty, it's successful and as long as they gradually improve the chemistry on offense and avoid injuries, they could be a strong playoff contender.

They need to make a statement by HAMMERING the Raiders this weekend, as the next few games before the bye are critical in building team morale and a nice cushion for the second half of the season.

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, at least THEY beat Carolina. Their D is very good. Although the run D is a little suspect. Doesn't matter, tho, if you can't pass on them...

The O is just enough for them to get by. It'll lose some games for them.

Mile High Mania
10-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, at least THEY beat Carolina. Their D is very good. Although the run D is a little suspect. Doesn't matter, tho, if you can't pass on them...

The O is just enough for them to get by. It'll lose some games for them.

It already cost them the game at Jacksonville... once Quentin Griffin fumble away from 5-0 at this point. They are a shakey 4-1, but it's early and that's a good thing as long as they improve.

If you can get to 4-1 with a questionable team and continue to improve, you're setting up well for late in the season. Kudos to the defense.

Garcia Bronco
10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
They have squeaked by the Bucs and mow Carolina. They will niot last much longer longer without better offensivwe production. Please don't give me stats, it's well know how their running game has gone down hill.

This weekend when we pound the Raiders. Denver is going to win at home this year and sweep the division....count it. We haven't even played our best football yet...and for all intents and purposes one play away from being 5-0. It will only get better for us as long as people stay healthy.

ROYC75
10-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Denvers next 2 games is not a cakewalk... @ oakland, ya never know and Cincy, a team that needs a win badly to gain confidence.

Either game is winnable or loseable for Denver. Then Denver gets the weakest part of the schedule, with lone exception being the last 3 games, @ KC,@ Tn. and home against Indy.

They must travel to NO and SD, either team is capable of wining.

I still see Denver with a 10-6 record.

ChiefFripp
10-12-2004, 11:48 AM
1 more point than your opponent is all that's required for a win. They may be squeaking by but it's because they are a better team than the teams they have played(well besides The Chiefs ofcourse, that was all luck ;) ). With San Diego alive and Denver dominating, it looks like this will be one hell of a division race.

OldTownChief
10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
I still see Denver with a 10-6 record.

I hope not because 10-6 will easily win the AFC West.

vailpass
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Review the margin of victory in each regular season game for Tampa Bay during their Superbowl season. Do the same for Baltimore during their Superbowl season. I'm not suggesting Denver's D matches up to either of those defenses (yet); however it is plain that "squeaking by" is another way of saying "win" and it is possible to do so all season long with a dominating defense.
I agree with your comment regarding Denver's running game; Ruben Droughns looked like he was running "downhill" all day to the tune of 193 yards.

Straight, No Chaser
10-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Broncos record is nice for a team that is still suspect. Their opener is rarely an indicator of how they end up (they always seem to stone whoever they play in the opener). Jake Plummer has not changed his M.O. --since the Cardinals, since ASU. Jake Plummer does his best to keep other teams in games.

---->

vailpass
10-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Jake Plummer is the most maddening QB I have ever seen. He is Brett Favre without the rifle arm. Where Tampa & Baltimore had QB's whose job was to just not screw up Denver has a QB who could very well screw up and lose a game at any time. IMHO Jake could end Denver's season earlier than necessary or he could pull something out of his @$$ and throw a left-handed TD to win the whole thing.

ChiefFripp
10-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Jake Plummer is the most maddening QB I have ever seen. He is Brett Favre without the rifle arm. Where Tampa & Baltimore had QB's whose job was to just not screw up Denver has a QB who could very well screw up and lose a game at any time. IMHO Jake could end Denver's season earlier than necessary or he could pull something out of his @$$ and throw a left-handed TD to win the whole thing.
I can't figure out why tacklers can't get him either, he doesn't look that elusive, it looks like they always dive behind him. I guess a tip to people trying to tackle Plummer would be to aim at the space 3 feet in front of Jake.
Peyton is out this week so I am starting Plummer. I can't wait until after next week so I can dump that garbage off of my team

ClearmontChief
10-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Not intending to sound like a pr!ck but...

Couldn't the same thing be said about our 2003 9-0 start?

It kinda scares me that they should probably have at least 1 if not 2 more losses based on performance. I thought Carolina had them. But, they found a way to win.

I think it's going to be difficult to catch them when they apparently have a lot of good luck this year while we're mired in bad luck.

Mark M
10-12-2004, 12:40 PM
No offense here, but last I checked, neither margain of victory nor style points were used to determine win/loss records.

They've won. Period. Hopefully KC will start doing the same.

MM
~~:arrow:

Mark M
10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
IMHO Jake could end Denver's season earlier than necessary or he could pull something out of his @$$ and throw a left-handed TD to win the whole thing.

I'm betting on the former ...

MM
~~:p

SoCalBronco
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
this makes it fair for 2002. To be honest if we can get just a little better goalline production we would be winning impressively but i will take it. In all honesty though i think there are 4 teams better than Denver and a group of 3-4 teams right in the second tier with denver.

Mile High Mania
10-12-2004, 12:54 PM
No offense here, but last I checked, neither margain of victory nor style points were used to determine win/loss records.

MM

Very true - it's all about the "w". It's still going to be a long season. The offense is nowhere near where it needs to be and the defense still has holes. They've caught a few teams with issues and have pounced on them.

I'm still waiting for this defense to start producing turnovers...statistically, Denver is the #1 defense in the NFL. However, they have only 1 freaking INT and 2 fumbles in 5 damn games. That's insane!

J Diddy
10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Not intending to sound like a pr!ck but...

Couldn't the same thing be said about our 2003 9-0 start?

It kinda scares me that they should probably have at least 1 if not 2 more losses based on performance. I thought Carolina had them. But, they found a way to win.

I think it's going to be difficult to catch them when they apparently have a lot of good luck this year while we're mired in bad luck.

Or the squeaking by catches up with you, see 2003 chiefs

One dimensional will kill them, someone will hit the nail on the head and figure out what to do to beat them and then it will be over.

TEX
10-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Wonder if they feel "lucky" like they were saying we were last year? :hmmm:

TEX
10-12-2004, 01:45 PM

MM

Yep. No need to look for excuses. Just WIN!

Boardin Bronco
10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
The 2002 Bronco-s are one of the best examples not to get overly excited about their good start.

That year, the Bronco-s had the best record in the AFC at the halfway point with a 6-2 mark. The Raiders were on a 4 game losing streak and in bad shape at 4-4.

They come into Denver and totally embarrass the Bronco-s. Gannon set passing records that night for highest completion percentage.

The Raiders go on to win the AFC Championship, Denver goes on to a mediocre 9-7 and misses the postseason.

Believe me, I think the Chiefs are a sleeping giant and I think this division is going down to the wire. They looked very impressive against Baltimore and that team that showed up on MNF is going to be tough to beat.

Gaz
10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Squeaking or not, they are winning.

dammit

xoxo~
Gaz
Discovering that good sportsmanship tastes like crap.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Squeaking or not, they are winning.

dammit

xoxo~
Gaz
Discovering that good sportsmanship tastes like crap.

As they say in golf....It's not how, it's how many.

alanm
10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
This weekend when we pound the Raiders. Denver is going to win at home this year and sweep the division....count it. We haven't even played our best football yet...and for all intents and purposes one play away from being 5-0. It will only get better for us as long as people stay healthy.Denver goes down this weekend in Oakland. You heard it here first.:thumb:

tk13
10-12-2004, 02:35 PM
That's the Broncos style of play... if they went out and won 13 games they'll probably all be relatively close. They want to play good defense and score just enough points to win... it can work, but you're more likely to keep other teams in the game doing it...

Jake's pretty lucky though, you'd think eventually he'd make a mistake that costs them a game. To his credit I guess, it seems like he makes some horrible mistakes but his team still finds a way to win.

Braincase
10-12-2004, 02:56 PM
The Broncos have a knack. If there's aloophole in the rules, they'll use it for a win. If the NFL officiating crews react to abuse and bitching from coaches, Shanahan will get the calls he needs. As long as the NFL tap dances around with penalties for breaking the salary cap rules, the Broncos will skirt the rules.

They'll cheat and keep on cheating until every one else is cheating the same way they are. Guess what Shanahan will bitch to the Commissioner about when that happens?

Straight, No Chaser
10-12-2004, 04:01 PM
...They'll cheat and keep on cheating until every one else is cheating the same way they are...

I was reminded of this very thought last night watching the Packers get called for an illegal chopblock. Man those are painful to watch.

Deep down those Donk fans want Jake to be the second coming of Elroy. You have to admit there are some resemblances. Jake did pull out some come-from-behind wins with the Cardinals. He had a great Rose Bowl season with ASU. The difference was with ASU he had some back-up with the Cardinals he didn't.

--->

Mile High Mania
10-12-2004, 08:37 PM
The Broncos have a knack. If there's aloophole in the rules, they'll use it for a win. If the NFL officiating crews react to abuse and bitching from coaches, Shanahan will get the calls he needs. As long as the NFL tap dances around with penalties for breaking the salary cap rules, the Broncos will skirt the rules.

They'll cheat and keep on cheating until every one else is cheating the same way they are. Guess what Shanahan will bitch to the Commissioner about when that happens?

This is a bit of a reach, don't you think?

Let's look over the course of the last 5 games and tell me where the Broncos cheated, broke the rules or cried for calls. You act as if Denver is getting away with murder every week... and it really sounds bitter.

I see coaches on every sideline every Sunday screaming at the refs. If the NFL loves Shanahan so much, and if the Refs love giving Denver special breaks, then why - WHY - does Denver lose 80% of the challenges they request?

Just say you hate Denver and move on...

Bowser
10-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Did I see that right where Jake was 10-31 for 130 yards last week?

Yikes!

But, you guys are the cream of an average AFC West right now. I think it's safe to say there are going to be no wild cards out of the AFC West this year. Somebody is going to have to win it to get to the playoffs.

Braincase
10-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Just say you hate Denver and move on...

I reserve the right to express my blind homerism and defense mechanisms in the maner I see fit, thank you.

I wasn't talking about the fans of the Broncos, I have more endearing terms for y'all. :p

And as for you guys losing your challenges, I say it's all part of the conspiracy to make the other calls look less suspicious.

:homer:

Ebolapox
10-12-2004, 10:42 PM
when will the broncos stop squeeking by

well, they don't have the bengals on their schedule this year----

wait, that's the team that stopped US from continual squeeking by--that, and greg robinson

-EB-

easymobee
10-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Why is it so bad that the Broncos are "Squeaking By" with these 3 point wins, as if they don't deserve to count?

Remind me again of how many points you guys beat the Ravens by on MNF last week? 3 .....

I know from reading the post game threads here that most KC fans didn't think the scoreboard showed how bad you guys "truly" beat the Ravens .... Well neither did we as "Bronco Fans". It just matters what color glasses you are wearing ...

To us, if Carolina doesn't get "lucky" with a few Dropped passes by the Broncos in the 1st quarter then it would have been 14-0 rather than 6-0 after our 1st 2 drives. At least 10-0.

Denver did beat a couple of teams by 10 points as well. One of them, i'm sure you would count as a good team (KC) and the other team is 3-2 with wins over the Texans, Titans, and Jaguars .. (SD).

Braincase
10-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Why is it so bad that the Broncos are "Squeaking By" with these 3 point wins, as if they don't deserve to count?

Remind me again of how many points you guys beat the Ravens by on MNF last week? 3 .....

I know from reading the post game threads here that most KC fans didn't think the scoreboard showed how bad you guys "truly" beat the Ravens .... Well neither did we as "Bronco Fans". It just matters what color glasses you are wearing ...

To us, if Carolina doesn't get "lucky" with a few Dropped passes by the Broncos in the 1st quarter then it would have been 14-0 rather than 6-0 after our 1st 2 drives. At least 10-0.

Denver did beat a couple of teams by 10 points as well. One of them, i'm sure you would count as a good team (KC) and the other team is 3-2 with wins over the Texans, Titans, and Jaguars .. (SD).

DO you have any freakin' clue what bulletin board you're on?

Mile High Mania
10-13-2004, 09:33 AM
DO you have any freakin' clue what bulletin board you're on?

This reply always makes me chuckle...

milkman
10-13-2004, 09:44 AM

I suppose that dropped passes by the Donkey receivers could be counted as 'lucky', but I watched a lot of that game, and in no way did the Donkeys dominate the Panthers as the Chiefs did the Ravens.

The fact that the Chiefs faced a team with Boller at QB, and Heap could be construed as lucky, I suppose.

As for the Donkey win over the Chiefs, that was a bad team on the field against the Donkeys.
Our hope is that the last 2 games by the Chiefs are an indication that the team is on the rise.

Mile High Mania
10-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I suppose that dropped passes by the Donkey receivers could be counted as 'lucky', but I watched a lot of that game, and in no way did the Donkeys dominate the Panthers as the Chiefs did the Ravens.

The fact that the Chiefs faced a team with Boller at QB, and Heap could be construed as lucky, I suppose.

As for the Donkey win over the Chiefs, that was a bad team on the field against the Donkeys.
Our hope is that the last 2 games by the Chiefs are an indication that the team is on the rise.

The Chiefs' defense played well vs the Ravens, stopping Lewis was a huge task - but, Boller brings nothing to the table. He's by far the worst starting QB in the league and their receivers (minus Heap) scare nobody.

When you reference the "last 2 games", are you talking about the Texans? Statistically, the defense looked all right, but they broke in the second half. Gonzo, Priest and Trent were finally all on the same page though.

The AFC West is still WIDE OPEN. All it takes is a Denver loss at Oakland, a KC win at Jacksonville (which despite losing two games, they will be tough at home) and a Charger win at Atlanta (tall order vs that defense) and everything is knotted up in the AFCW.

If this all happens - Denver and SD will be 4-2 with Oak at 3-3 and KC at 2-3. That's a scenario I don't want to happen.

Denver needs to make a statement at Oakland and get the offense on track. 5-2 would be a nice record to have despite what SD and KC do this week. All divisional teams play tough games this week, despite what has happened the last two weeks.

I don't think SD will win at Atlanta, but they'll make it a close game. I think KC will struggle a bit against the Jaguars - but, could (and should) win the game as they have been exposed in recent weeks. If Taylor finally gets on track, that will really benefit the Jags - stop him and KC wins the game, I think Leftwich still has a lot to learn and they're offense is young (aside from Smith).

milkman
10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
The Chiefs' defense played well vs the Ravens, stopping Lewis was a huge task - but, Boller brings nothing to the table. He's by far the worst starting QB in the league and their receivers (minus Heap) scare nobody.

When you reference the "last 2 games", are you talking about the Texans? Statistically, the defense looked all right, but they broke in the second half. Gonzo, Priest and Trent were finally all on the same page though.

Agreed, Boller doesn't bring anything to the table.
Neither do the receivers.
But containing Lewis for most of the game was a big step.

Yes, I am talking about the Texans.
While they didn't play as well in the 2nd half, it was the first game in some time that I felt their effort wasn't pathetic.

If Green hadn't thrown that interception for a TD, then that effort wouldn't have been wasted.

38yrsfan
10-13-2004, 10:28 AM
If Green hadn't thrown that interception for a TD, then that effort wouldn't have been wasted.

Yep ... that was a stab in the heart! The only good thing was seeing Priest fly down the field and catch him ... to bad he couldn't have stripped the ball!

Mile High Mania
10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Yep ... that was a stab in the heart! The only good thing was seeing Priest fly down the field and catch him ... to bad he couldn't have stripped the ball!

Similar to the Plummer INT to Peppers with Rod chasing him down...