PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Carpet cleaning recommendations requested

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Rather than go out and rent equipment to clean the carpet periodically (and then worrying about having to finish up and return the equipment by a certain time), Bob Dole is considering the purchase of equipment intended for residential use.

Does anyone have anything they'd recommend?

seclark
10-12-2004, 10:30 AM
shout it out.
sec

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 10:33 AM
shout it out.
sec

If that actually worked, the damned carpet would be spotless by Sunday evening most weeks.

Donger
10-12-2004, 10:35 AM
If that actually worked, the damned carpet would be spotless by Sunday evening most weeks.

I have a Hoover Steam Vac that works pretty well. At least as well as the commercial ones I've tried.

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 10:40 AM
I have a Hoover Steam Vac that works pretty well. At least as well as the commercial ones I've tried.

That's the sort of stuff Bob Dole is looking for. Thanks!

Ultra Peanut
10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
You shit yourself again, didn't you?

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 10:45 AM
You shit yourself again, didn't you?

That wasn't Bob Dole--that was the ex.

Monty
10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
I've used a Kirby for a long time and it's been great. Do not buy one from your local distributor, but instead you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.

Here's a couple of links if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43525&item=4328922667&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20615&item=4328922857&rd=1

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I've used a Kirby for a long time and it's been great. Do not buy one from your local distributor, but instead you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.

Here's a couple of links if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43525&item=4328922667&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20615&item=4328922857&rd=1

Do those things still weigh roughly 200 pounds, or have they changed them since the 1970's?

Bob Dole's grandmother had one of those and you had to be an Olympic athlete to use it for more than 15 minutes.

Monty
10-12-2004, 12:02 PM
No, they're self propelled now, but if you want that old school feel, just leave it in neutral. :D

Stinger
10-12-2004, 12:06 PM
NFT: Carpet cleaning recommendations requested

Can't believe no one has mentioned a Brazilian wax yet. :shake:

ptlyon
10-12-2004, 12:21 PM
No, they're self propelled now, but if you want that old school feel, just leave it in neutral. :D

Just like a '48 Studabaker

CrazyHorse
10-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Rather than go out and rent equipment to clean the carpet periodically (and then worrying about having to finish up and return the equipment by a certain time), Bob Dole is considering the purchase of equipment intended for residential use.

If you dont have it professionally cleaned, you will be cleaning it again soon.

All of the over the counter detergents have a high residue level. THey leave a lot of soap residue behind. It collects dirt quickly. Not to mention that the commercial rental and store bought machines dont have the power to clean very well. I know that you are likely trying to save money. But in the end, if you have to clean it 5 times a year because you are leaving a residue behind then you probably aren't saving any money. The average professional cleaning will generally last a year and cost about a hundred bucks.

I reccommend a dry foam or chem dry. These systems do less dammage to the pad and dont saturate the pad. I am a carpet cleaning pro. In fact, I own my own company.

Some prefer steam. Steam damages the backing making the carpet loose. It also causes distortion of the back. And if you have ever washed clothes in hot water it also sets a stain. Dry Cleaning eliminates all of those things.

If you are hell bent on doing it yourself, I will not reccommend any machine to you. I will just say that you will be buyng carpet in half of the time you would if you spent the money and had someone do it that knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

BTW, the Hoover steam vac is junk.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
If you dont have it professionally cleaned, you will be cleaning it again soon.

All of the over the counter detergents have a high residue level. THey leave a lot of soap residue behind. It collects dirt quickly. Not to mention that the commercial rental and store bought machines dont have the power to clean very well. I know that you are likely trying to save money. But in the end, if you have to clean it 5 times a year because you are leaving a residue behind then you probably aren't saving any money. The average professional cleaning will generally last a year and cost about a hundred bucks.

I reccommend a dry foam or chem dry. These systems do less dammage to the pad and dont saturate the pad. I am a carpet cleaning pro. In fact, I own my own company.

Some prefer steam. Steam damages the backing making the carpet loose. It also causes distortion of the back. And if you have ever washed clothes in hot water it also sets a stain. Dry Cleaning eliminates all of those things.

If you are hell bent on doing it yourself, I will not reccommend any machine to you. I will just say that you will be buyng carpet in half of the time you would if you spent the money and had someone do it that knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

BTW, the Hoover steam vac is junk.
Aw shucks, it may be thataway down heer in Ar-ken-saw but them city fellers maybe can do it rite.

CrazyHorse
10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Aw shucks, it may be thataway down heer in Ar-ken-saw but them city fellers maybe can do it rite.

You can make a high alkaline high ph shampoo into an enzymatic nuetral ph carpet shampoo?

Need a job?

Phobia
10-12-2004, 01:40 PM
I had a hoover steam cleaner at one time. Complete garbage. It lasted about 2 years. It also thrashed my carpet. Granted, it wasn't expensive carpet, but the consumer products are crap, IMO.

I don't think you can shortcut this one unless you buy an expensive, chemically treated carpet that resists stains and has a guarantee.

Despite CrazyHorse's bias, I'd go with his advice.

Miles
10-12-2004, 01:44 PM
GEORGE: Alright, I gotta go home and open up with the house for the carpet
cleaners. You know they're doing my whole place for twenty-five dollars.

KRAMER: Oh, no, no, no. Not the Sunshine Carpet Cleaners?

EGO: Yeah, you heard of 'em?

KRAMER: They're a crazy religious cult. The carpet cleaning is just a means
for them to get into your apartment.

GEORGE: So? For a twenty-five dollar cleaning, I can listen to some pointless
blather.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
You can make a high alkaline high ph shampoo into an enzymatic nuetral ph carpet shampoo?

Need a job?
I dunno, I've never tried it. But I'd bet you are not the only one who can do it.

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 03:05 PM
The problem is that Bob Dole has been travelling frequently and having someone house sit, and the dogs apparently feel the need to make their displeasure known by pissing on the carpet when the sitter isn't watching.

At the present rate, Bob Dole is going to end up having the damned stuff professionally cleaned every other month until he gets energetic enough to rip the crap out and refinish the floors, and there are about 40 things that are higher on the priority list.

CrazyHorse
10-12-2004, 04:31 PM
The problem is that Bob Dole has been travelling frequently and having someone house sit, and the dogs apparently feel the need to make their displeasure known by pissing on the carpet when the sitter isn't watching.

At the present rate, Bob Dole is going to end up having the damned stuff professionally cleaned every other month until he gets energetic enough to rip the crap out and refinish the floors, and there are about 40 things that are higher on the priority list.

For the pet spots. Try a 1 part white vinegar 4 parts water solution and treat the spots with a fine mist. Then with a rag or sponge wet the dogs front paws with straight vinegar. The dog will not like the smell of the vinegar and try to lick it off of its paws. It will be a bad experience for him/her. When going back to the old piss spots the dog will smell a residual vinegar odor and will connect that smell with the experience it had with the vinegar on the paws and will opt not to do that any more.

As for my previous advice, take it for what it's worth. I have just seen too many carpets that have been maintained by those over the counter cleaners and cleaning solutions. It's very hard on your carpet.

Reguardless if you clean it yourself or have someone else do it, until you stop the pets from pissing on it, you are fighting a losing battle. The more water you add to it, the bigger the problem will get. Pets keep guys like me in business.

Donger
10-12-2004, 04:32 PM

Kill the dogs.

CrazyHorse
10-12-2004, 04:38 PM
I dunno, I've never tried it. But I'd bet you are not the only one who can do it.

Yeah?

And?

What... do you think I am trying to drum up business in KC from where I live or something? I am just trying to give some advice in something I know a little about.

If you know better, then go get yourself a Hoover and knock yourself out, stud. You don't have to get cocky. We all know you're the sh1t.

Now STFD STFU.

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 04:41 PM
For the pet spots. Try a 1 part white vinegar 4 parts water solution and treat the spots with a fine mist. Then with a rag or sponge wet the dogs front paws with straight vinegar. The dog will not like the smell of the vinegar and try to lick it off of its paws. It will be a bad experience for him/her. When going back to the old piss spots the dog will smell a residual vinegar odor and will connect that smell with the experience it had with the vinegar on the paws and will opt not to do that any more.

As for my previous advice, take it for what it's worth. I have just seen too many carpets that have been maintained by those over the counter cleaners and cleaning solutions. It's very hard on your carpet.

Reguardless if you clean it yourself or have someone else do it, until you stop the pets from pissing on it, you are fighting a losing battle. The more water you add to it, the bigger the problem will get. Pets keep guys like me in business.

Definitely a losing battle until they behave better or live 24 hours outdoors. Was just hoping to find a stopgap while the battle is fought.

Phobia
10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Definitely a losing battle until they behave better or live 24 hours outdoors. Was just hoping to find a stopgap while the battle is fought.
http://www.puppydogweb.com/international/pix/chihuahua_vandriessche.jpg

http://www.kitchenpalace.com/prodpic/meat_grinders/large/mg50.jpg

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM

Now that's better, some advice. Lots better than that "I'm the only guy in the world that can do it" BS. Oh, and STFD yourself tough guy.

CrazyHorse
10-12-2004, 05:06 PM

If you buy a machine, you should use it more as an extractor than a cleaner. For example, clean the spots then come back and extract the excess. Keep it as dry as possible.

For a pet spot try to get as much out as possible by blotting the spot. Then let it dry before cleaning. If you add water to it while its wet you will just end up moving the spot into the pad. Once dry, clean with whatever cleaner you prefer. I use a Vinegar and water solution as it is a good cuutting agent and will act as a disinfectant as well. It will also not leave a tacky residue behind that will attract dirt. Not to mention you can use the vinegar as a training tool.

Again, try to make the cleaning process as dry as possible. The drier you can keep it the more it will stay localized. Making it bigger by adding excessive water is the worst thing you can do.

Good luck.

As far as recommending a machine, they are all junk. So I might get a good wet dry vac. Just a thought. As for the machines, they are all about the same. Go with the most cost effective.

Hope this helps.

OCChiefsFan
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
We use the in-laws Bissell Steam Cleaner. Works very well, but the cleaning solution can get spendy. All in all, a good product.

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 05:56 PM
http://www.puppydogweb.com/international/pix/chihuahua_vandriessche.jpg

http://www.kitchenpalace.com/prodpic/meat_grinders/large/mg50.jpg

Presently, it's more like:

Bob Dole
10-12-2004, 05:58 PM
If you buy a machine, you should use it more as an extractor than a cleaner. For example, clean the spots then come back and extract the excess. Keep it as dry as possible.

For a pet spot try to get as much out as possible by blotting the spot. Then let it dry before cleaning. If you add water to it while its wet you will just end up moving the spot into the pad. Once dry, clean with whatever cleaner you prefer. I use a Vinegar and water solution as it is a good cuutting agent and will act as a disinfectant as well. It will also not leave a tacky residue behind that will attract dirt. Not to mention you can use the vinegar as a training tool.

Again, try to make the cleaning process as dry as possible. The drier you can keep it the more it will stay localized. Making it bigger by adding excessive water is the worst thing you can do.

Good luck.

As far as recommending a machine, they are all junk. So I might get a good wet dry vac. Just a thought. As for the machines, they are all about the same. Go with the most cost effective.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like Bob Dole might as well stick with the Black and Decker "Steam Buster" and try the vinegar thing.

Thanks.