PDA

View Full Version : A Jag's fans analysis of this week's matchup!

cmh6476
10-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I posted in a thread on a jag's bopard, and here was a nice response fromone of their posters:

I as well think the Chargers are quite a bit more than most everyone thinks. I noticed at the end of the Preseason that the Chargers had put up the most points of any team by far. Of course that was Preseason so I pretty much overlooked it, but they are still putting up points right and left on everyone. Simply put, things are clicking for them right now. It's no fluke how many points they put up on the Titans and Jaguars.

Their OL dominated the Jaguars DL last week, but part of that was the decision to move Stroud outside backfiring. The prior two weeks teams managed to run outside too much so the thought was that putting Stroud outside would eliminate that but the thought backfired when the Chargers managed to effectively run inside. We're not used to anyone running inside against this D. But moreover it was their passing game. The Jaguars pass rush did not exist with Brees having forever in the pocket to pick apart our secondary. The Jaguars secondary is not that bad, but any team will look bad out there when the QB has all day to throw. A couple years ago our SS Donovin Darius shut down Gonzo in a Jaguars win at KC, so the Jaguars thought he could do the same to Gates. It didn't happen, and he actually sprained an ankel trying meaning DD, conistently one of our best defenders against the run, will probably miss the Chiefs game. He's not a player we want out for this game in particular.

Looking at the Chiefs offense is a little scary from our point of view given what just happened. Their OL is certainly better than the Chargers who just whooped our DL. It's thought that Stroud will move back inside for the game to team up with Henderson, but part of the Jaguars advantage is that every team has to double one of these two (usually Henderson) every down. But the Chiefs interior OL is so good that they might be able to contain these guys without the double teams, and if that happens the Chiefs offense is sure to totally shut down any semblence of a pass rush we might have. Trent Green is one of the league's better QBs so I fear what might happen if he has as much time to pick apart our secondary as Brees had. Plus knowing the Jaguars failed to cover Gates and with Darius thought to be out for the game, the Gonzo threat looms so much bigger.

Beyond all of this I fear the Chiefs passing game even more because the Jaguars D appears ready to sell out against the run to stop Holmes after allowing the Chargers backup RB to top 100 yards, and after allowing Tomlinson a few huge runs. I know how Holmes can burst through a DL before a defense knows what hit them, but I do think the Jaguars run D is up for the challenge. Mike Peterson is probably the best player on our defense and seemed to be one of the few defenders on the field late in the game last week. In all but two games (the Broncos and Titans) Peterson has been an animal getting into backfields and stuffing RBs right and left. The Broncos OL effectively managed to block out Peterson by keying on him, but in that game the rest of the D took advantage and still shut them down. Chris Brown managed to make him miss a few times but he's the only RB who seemed to have Peterson's number. He also missed a couple tackles last week, but for the most part was himself. I'm very interested in seeing Peterson take on Priest and the Chiefs OL.

Offensively for the Jaguars, I like the matchup against the Chiefs. Leftwich has been showing serious signs of improvement the past two weeks despite the losses and there is a feeling that he's on the verge of a breakout game. The Jaguars also have a very good running game that has yet to show up this year. Last week they were forced to pass after getting behind early, but there seems to be an excuse for not running every week. I don't expect there to be any more excuses this week. The Jaguars interior OL can be very good at run blocking but haven't had a chance to get in their groove this season (we know how good they can be from last season and the offseason), but this week I expect them to take advantage of Ryam Sims being out. Sims at DT is key to the Chiefs success on defense much like Stroud is for the Jaguars, so his missing the game is HUGE. Naeole has been playing some of this best football all season long, Meester is itching for a breakout game, and Manuwai was starting to breakout prior to being slowed by a lower leg injury a couple weeks ago. It's time for the running game to show up and for Leftwich to take advantage with a solid performance at home.

Finally, the Special Teams play appears to be rather boring. The Jaguars coverage has been great this season and I expect more of the same against the Chiefs. Meanwhile, their return game has been pathetic and again I expect more of the same.

link (http://www.jaguars.com/mb/default.aspx?f=6&m=229741)

Claynus
10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
He doesn't know Sims isn't going to play....

cmh6476
10-12-2004, 04:00 PM
He doesn't know Sims isn't going to play....
that's what vermeil has indicated...

HolmeZz
10-12-2004, 04:04 PM
He also doesn't know that Sims isn't very good and that we might be better without him. :shake:

cmh6476
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
He also doesn't know that Sims isn't very good and that we might be better without him. :shake:
I wouldn't go that far!

Claynus
10-12-2004, 04:09 PM

Sims is the key to our defensive line. This Sunday Lional Dalton will now be doubled, meaning others will have to pick up the slack. Fantastic.

Crush
10-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Jared Allen: Pass Rusher Extrordinaire

KC Dan
10-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Jared Allen: Pass Rusher Extrordinaire
and 70 yd from scrimmage runs. :banghead:

HolmeZz
10-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't go that far!

Sims played well while he was in against Baltimore. He really hadn't done much else up to that point IMO.

redhed
10-12-2004, 05:11 PM
That's a good board; nice, friendly peeps.