PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever hired someone to kill their existing lawn...

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
and replant new one?

I just read an article about this and it looks like a lot of hard work that I am not interested in at all.

How much do you think a landscaper would charge for this?

Jenson71
10-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Just don't rake your leaves.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Just don't rake your leaves.

My lawn is not horrible, but it's not the best on my street either. I want a nicer front lawn, but I definately don't want to do all that work.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 08:10 PM
You might check with Phobia. He'll prolly do it for 10 K. He charges 10K for everything.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:11 PM
You might check with Phobia. He'll prolly do it for 10 K. He charges 10K for everything.

I'd rather just have a yard of fuggin gravel like they do in Arizona than pay 10 grand.

Phobia
10-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I'd rather just have a yard of fuggin gravel like they do in Arizona than pay 10 grand.

Well, I'm flexible. How about $20k?

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, I'm flexible. How about $20k?

Throw in a garage and a new deck in the back and you might have a deal. I'll have to think about it though.

Jenson71
10-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I'll do it this summer for 9K.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:22 PM

You plant new lawns in the fall.

You can clean my toliets for a quarter if you want. ROFL

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Won't that interfere with your de-tassling?

Jenson71
10-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Won't that interfere with your de-tassling?

I'm not doing that again!

(and watch next year, I'll have to drag myself out of bed at 4:00 again...)

It's all Bush's fault ya know.

Phobia
10-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Throw in a garage and a new deck in the back and you might have a deal. I'll have to think about it though.

Dependant upon your specs, I think we could get there. Assuming you're serious, of course.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Dependant upon your specs, I think we could get there. Assuming you're serious, of course.

ROFL

I don't have that kind of money at this time. But it is something I plan on doing in the hopefully not too distant future.

Phobia
10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Well, you know where to find me.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, you know where to find me.

True. However, I live in Wichita, not KC.

But I did see your pics of the remodelled bathroom you worked on and was impressed.

Are you a residential contractor in business for yourself?

Phobia
10-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh - yeah. I knew that. But, depending on the season, I'd consider work in Wichita. I might end up in the Hill Country - central Texas for part of the winter. I can raise a simple garage pretty quick and decks are one of my specialties.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh - yeah. I knew that. But, depending on the season, I'd consider work in Wichita. I might end up in the Hill Country - central Texas for part of the winter. I can raise a simple garage pretty quick and decks are one of my specialties.

I'll keep you in mind.

PastorMikH
10-12-2004, 08:54 PM
1) Get you some roundup and get the yard sprayed ASAP. IF roundup costs too much, you can use diesel fuel but the EPA frowns on that and Deisel could make the next step really interesting.

2) Then, in a few weeks when the entire yard is good and brown, burn off the dead stuff (keeping a garden hose handy for burning close to the house and any wood fances).

3) Now that the grass is gone, spread seed and straw over the yard and water 1-2x a day.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 08:57 PM
1) Get you some roundup and get the yard sprayed ASAP. IF roundup costs too much, you can use diesel fuel but the EPA frowns on that and Deisel could make the next step really interesting.

2) Then, in a few weeks when the entire yard is good and brown, burn off the dead stuff (keeping a garden hose handy for burning close to the house and any wood fances).

3) Now that the grass is gone, spread seed and straw over the yard and water 1-2x a day.

I just read an article about it and the process the article described was much more difficult than this.

Also, would it be legal in the City limits to burn your lawn?

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I just read an article about it and the process the article described was much more difficult than this.

Ask your local fire dept.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Good point.

PastorMikH
10-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Really, all you have to do is kill off the grass. That isn't really too hard. It is actually a little late in the year to gaurantee you'll get the job done. It takes roundup 1-2 weeks in the summer time. In the fall the grass starts going dormant which can affect the killing process.

As for the burning, I was partially joking, partially serious. It is the easiest way to get rid of the dead grass but you will need to check with the city and you will have to work in smaller sections and be VERY careful.

The other option is after you get the grass killed, you can drop your mower down all the way and scalp & bag it.

PastorMikH
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM

You could just tell them some dude in a Chevy Astro with DirectTV on the side and Arkansas plates passed buy about 30 minutes ago and threw out a cigarette butt.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
It is actually a little late in the year to gaurantee you'll get the job done. It takes roundup 1-2 weeks in the summer time. In the fall the grass starts going dormant which can affect the killing process.

Yeah, we may need to wait until next fall for the new lawn.

Thanks for the tips though, very informative.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
You could just tell them some dude in a Chevy Astro with DirectTV on the side and Arkansas plates passed buy about 30 minutes ago and threw out a cigarette butt.
I'll actually come do it for 8K. (Cannibal is gonna get a bargain yet).

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I'll actually come do it for 8K. (Cannibal is gonna get a bargain yet).

I'll let you ignite my neighbor's lawn and for payment you can have sex with his dog.

ROFL

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I'll let you ignite my neighbor's lawn and for payment you can have sex with his dog.

ROFL
Now you've changed the subject and I can't remember what we were talking about.

Jenson71
10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
You plant new lawns in the fall.

You're really picky. I'm offering to save you 1K.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
You're really picky. I'm offering to save you 1K.

Your offer is intriguing, but I'll have to defer to better judgement. Maybe you can help Skiptown with my neighbor's lawn, you'll have to split payment with him though.

Jenson71
10-12-2004, 09:34 PM
No way! Skip would try to pick up a shovel and end up dislocating a hip.

Skip Towne
10-12-2004, 09:37 PM
No way! Skip would try to pick up a shovel and end up dislocating a hip.
Nah, I try to stay off people's lawns.

PastorMikH
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Cannibal, are you trying to switch types of grass or just get a thicker lawn with a little more color? You can try to just buy some fescue seed and re-seed over the existing grass. Also, does your yard have sprinklers? If not, then that would be the better place to spend your $ for starters - and will give you a much better yard than trying to keep up with dragging hoses around the yard.

Cannibal
10-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Cannibal, are you trying to switch types of grass or just get a thicker lawn with a little more color? You can try to just buy some fescue seed and re-seed over the existing grass. Also, does your yard have sprinklers? If not, then that would be the better place to spend your $ for starters - and will give you a much better yard than trying to keep up with dragging hoses around the yard.

More color. Plus there are two areas currently occupied by overgrown plants and shrubs that I want to remove and just plant lawn there so we don't have to constantly take care of those areas. In the spring those two areas look nice, but without CONSTANT maintenance in the summer the areas are overgrown death.