PDA

View Full Version : DeeVee must've written a letter to TMQ

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 11:33 AM
(Oct. 12, 2004) -- Good golly Miss Molly, injuries are devastating the NFL, leaving teams shorthanded. This brings to mind a longstanding Tuesday Morning Quarterback cause: Free the Inactive Seven!

Pro football teams have 53 gentlemen on the roster, but before kickoff, seven must be designated inactive, condemned to watch in street clothes. The third quarterback may dress but play only if the first two quarterbacks leave the contest and do not return, so in effect the Inactive Seven is really the Inactive Eight.

Tuesday Morning Quarterback has long wondered why the inactive list exists. Certainly not to save the owners money. Inactive players occupy slots on the regular roster and, watching in street clothes, get full game checks exactly as if they had played. (The "practice squad," which draws only token pay, is a different outfit.) Gentlemen on the inactive list also accrue credits toward free agency and pensions, exactly as if they had played. No, the inactive list doesn't save anyone a dime.

All the inactive list accomplishes is preventing fully paid NFL players from suiting up and performing. Sometimes players on the inactive list are hurt and wouldn't go regardless, but because a minimum of seven is required, almost every inactive list includes healthy players. Surely the Inactive Seven are a factor that increases injuries. Having healthy players sitting around in designer jumpsuits forces active players to take more snaps, especially on special teams, increasing their exposure to injury. The more players who can perform, the thinner the injury risk is spread.

And consider the third quarterback, who can play only if the first two leave for good, which almost never happens. Quarterbacks are the most valuable members of football teams, and their development is a multi-million-dollar matter in the NFL. If third quarterbacks were free to take the field, they could hold for kicks and come in for specialty plays, gaining some game-speed experience. Instead, third quarterbacks never get grass stains, while most teams are reluctant to use the second quarterback on trick plays for fear that he'll get hurt.

The inactive list arose when rosters were expanded to 53 years ago, then the old "moves" system, under which each team could make a limited number of roster changes annually, was discarded. Now teams can change their rosters as often as they please, with the provisos that seven cannot dress; purists seem to feel that 45 players, the roster maximum, was the "correct" number dressed for a football game. No immutable law dictates this number, it's just arbitrarily chosen. The league could have teams dress 20 and require everyone to play both ways, or dress 90 as do many Division I-A colleges, or any other number pulled from a hat.

Having an inactive list only forces owners to pay for performances they don't receive, while complicating the already-bad injury picture. Free the Inactive Seven!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7786742

dirk digler
10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree with DV on this. It is stupid to have a 53 man roster but you can only use 47.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Oooh, and I learned something new.

Opposite of a Rudd-Class Play

Baltimore kicking off in the fourth quarter, Nanticokes' returner Chad Morton ran toward the ball as it approached the sideline at the Washington 15. Morton deliberately stepped out of bounds, then reached back in to touch the rolling ball on the field. Brilliant! Kickoff rules specify that if a player who is out of bounds touches a live kick, the kickoff is declared out and the receiving team gets possession on the 40 -- regardless of whether the ball actually goes out. Morton knew that deliberately stepping out of bounds, then reaching back to touch the ball, would advance the Redskins' drive start from the 15 to the 40. Tuesday Morning Quarterback is constantly amazed that highly paid professional football players on special teams so often seem not to know the quirky rules of kicking plays. Morton knew.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Tee inactive list is teh dumn.

CrazyHorse
10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
I agree. If your gonna pay them, then they should get to play. Or at least develop.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Oooh, and I learned something new.Oh, wow. That could really be abused.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Oh, wow. That could really be abused.
Well, *usually* you try to avoid sending your KOs towards the sidelines... but, giving the odd things we've seen people do to avoid a Dante return... I have to wonder if there were times he could've taken advantage of this. Obviously, since I didn't know the rule, I wasn't watching for opportunities to capitalize on it.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2004, 12:27 PM
SOMEBODY GET ON THE HORN TO DEEVEE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, DAMN YOU! THiS IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE!

Rain Man
10-13-2004, 12:31 PM
SOMEBODY GET ON THE HORN TO DEEVEE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, DAMN YOU! THiS IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE!

I DON'T HAVE HIS NUMBER!!! WHAT'S HIS NUMBER?!?!?!!

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2004, 12:33 PM
SOMEBODY GET KEVIN THE NUMBER TO DEEVEE'S PLACE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

NOW, DAMN YOU!!!!! I MEAN IT THIS TIME! FIND THAT DAMN NUMBER OR I'LL RIP YOUR EYEBROWS OUT!