PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green Q and A 10/13

KingPriest2
10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Q&A QB Trent Green
Oct 13, 2004, 3:41:22 PM

JACKSONVILLE CONFERENCE CALL

Q: Did you sense any type of panic when you started 0-3?

GREEN: “I think this team was pretty steady. I think it was more of just everybody attempting to refocus and we all had belief in what we were doing. It’s just we had some things go against us and some bad breaks, so nobody really lost faith and started pointing fingers and that sort of thing. It was more of ‘let’s try concentrate a little more, pick up the practice tempo a little more.’ I’m not saying it was bad before that, it’s just that I think everybody was a little bit more tuned in for that week of preparation for the Baltimore game. (It was) definitely more of a business approach.”

Q: Was there any frustration with your defensive problems?

GREEN: “You know the coaches have done a great job of making sure that doesn’t happen and I think the players that (Coach Vermeil) has brought in over the last few seasons, the character of the guys that he’s brought in from an offensive standpoint, and a defensive side for that matter. We understand, and it’s pretty obvious around the league, that in order to win, it’s got to be an overall team game. You’re not going to get anywhere by pointing fingers and having one phase of the team mad at the other phase, we were just trying to be supportive. There were several instances last year when the defense did their part and offensively we didn’t get it done. If you look at the Baltimore game a year ago, we ended up winning 17-10, but the fact that they held them to 10 points and offensively we only produced the 10 points – the other seven coming on special teams – they obviously had a very big part in that. If you look at the Green Bay game, we came back in the fourth quarter and won in overtime, the defense came up with a big interception, part of our 17-point turnaround in the fourth quarter. Yeah, we scored offensively but they had the interception for a touchdown and of course Greg (Wesley) got the fumble in overtime. And there are more instances that I could point out but we knew it was going to take everyone involved to have success and that’s the same approach we’re taking this year.”

Q: How tough is it to score so many points and lose?

GREEN: “I think we set some sort of NFL record in losing games while scoring over 30 points (in 2002). But at no point in time were we on the team flight home yelling at the defense or in the meeting rooms on Monday yelling at the defense. It was just what can we do to get better? A fine example of that is the playoff game at Indianapolis. Neither team punted in that game. What we think offensively is that we had a couple of opportunities to score that we didn’t come up with scores. So instead of looking at it as, you know I know the defense is disappointed with the way things went because a number of them talked about it with me, but from an offensive standpoint we had two opportunities – we had a touchdown called back because of a penalty (and) we ended up missing a field goal before the half and we had a fumble the first series of the second half. In our minds, if we find a way to score on any of those opportunities it’s a seven-point game and maybe it would have been a different outcome. We try and focus more on what we’re doing from an offensive standpoint. How can we score and be more productive?”

Q: Do you think staring 0-3 was a bit of a hangover from losing in the playoffs last year?

GREEN: “You know, I don’t and the reason I say that is because of the way those games developed (this season). If you look at the Denver game, we were down at half, came back out and tied it up. We were tied going into the fourth quarter and we just didn’t finish. They played a better fourth quarter than we did. If you look at the first half against Carolina, we were up 10-7 at half; we felt like we left a couple of opportunities on the field in terms of not scoring. We had a field goal opportunity and we had another chance where we could have gone for it later on and didn’t get it. So even though we had the lead at half we were disappointed. Then to open up the second half, they started out with an eight-minute touchdown drive and we turn around offensively and go four plays and out, they come back out on the field for another five, six-minute drive. Once again, we felt good about our approach but it just didn’t manifest itself in terms of carrying out the way we wanted it to. But to say there’s a ‘hangover,’ I wouldn’t word it that way.”

Q: What do you see in being the only team to score on its first possession in every game this season?

GREEN: “If we were other than 1-3, I’d say it’s a huge advantage. It obviously gives you momentum and let’s you know that your preparation for the week has paid off. That’s one of the points of emphasis that we took into training camp and we continue to take, that when we get an opportunity to score right off the bat on the first series it can give us some momentum. Now what we’ve got to do from an offensive standpoint, if we do score, which we have, is to continue that and make sure we’re scoring those points in the third and fourth quarter as well as at the beginning because as we saw with that 0-3 start, even though we scored on all three of those opening drives, it didn’t carry over. So I think its more important to not only get started hot but it’s something that we’ve got to sustain and be able to come through in the fourth quarter.”

Q: What is it like having a weapon like TE Tony Gonzalez?

GREEN: “Well, I think Tony is the best in the league and I’m glad to have him. With the amount of injuries at wide receiver this year, not only in training camp but in the regular season, you know he’s kind of been the steady guy I can rely on. You know, I think he’s proven that every year he’s been in the league and that’s represented by the number of Pro Bowls he’s been in. What we’re doing now is we’ve got some young guys who came up big last week. Chris Horn, who not many people have heard of, came up big in a Monday night game on the road, came up with some really big catches and key third down conversions. Hopefully we’re going to get Eddie Kennison back this week. Johnnie Morton’s still tender with the injury he had in training camp, so we monitor him week to week, so as guys get healthy hopefully that will take some of the pressure off Tony.”

Q: What makes Tony Gonzalez so special?

GREEN: “The thing I’m most impressed with is his work ethic. He’s overall a very gifted receiver with his ability to go up and get the ball. People want to reference his basketball background as why some of that may have carryover, I just know from a day-to-day basis since I’ve been here – this is my fourth year here – he goes out to practice if he’s healthy enough he’s going to give it 100 percent to not only help the offense get better, but to better himself. So when you’re in between drills and you see him down there working on his hands, or practicing a technique he’s not real happy with, or if he has a drop earlier in practice he’ll go over and say, ‘Hey can you throw me that route one more time? I just want to look it in better.’ He’s continually working to try and get better and that impresses me. When you see a guy who’s, I feel, the No. 1 in the league, and if he continues at the rate he is might go down as one of the best to ever play the position, but if you see somebody with that kind of talent who continues to work on his game to try and get himself better, it’s very impressive.”

Q: What did you think of seeing Marcus Stroud playing defensive end last Sunday?

GREEN: “It didn’t look like he was real happy about it. But yeah, it’s something we’ve got to be ready for and aware of, obviously he and (John) Henderson both are huge, not only in weight but in height, and they present a lot of problems for everybody along the offensive front for us. So for them to put him out there at defensive end, they obviously saw something that they felt he could do and was capable of doing. If that’s something they felt they could do to help the team, than that’s something we have to be ready for for sure.”

Q: What did you see in Marcus Stroud that made you think he wasn’t happy with the move?

GREEN: “It was more what we kind of got word of mouth. I didn’t see the TV copy (of the game), some of the guys saw it, but I don’t know if it was body language, I don’t know what it was. Just some feedback we got that he wasn’t particularly thrilled with it, but you guys would know better than I would on that.”

Q: Which would you rather see out there?

GREEN: “When you’re 6-7, 6-8 and three-(hundred) whatever they are, there’s not a lot of room anywhere. They’re going to present (problems), not only those two but their defense in general. Everybody wants to point to what happened in the San Diego game and I don’t think that’s indicative of what that defense is all about. I think you need to look more at the previous games and the games where they had success just like we as a team, and we as an offense, people wanted to label us for what we did in the first three weeks. I think from an offensive standpoint what we did against Houston and what we were able to do against Baltimore, we like to look at it as that’s more indicative of what we’re about more than those first two games. I’m sure Jacksonville players and coaches are saying ‘Hey, we’re more about what happened in those three wins than what happened against San Diego.’ Their confidence is not wavering and they’ll be ready for us to come down there.”

Q: Can you point to any reason the passing offense is ranked 23rd in the league thus far?

GREEN: “Well a year ago we were second in the league, we had the number two passing offense in the league and obviously we had a lot more help at the wide receiver position. So that would be the thing if you’re looking, obviously we lost Marc Boerigter with an early-season injury, Eddie Kennison missed most of training camp, Johnnie Morton missed all of training camp, Dante Hall – we’re asking him to do more as a receiver than I feel is good judgment just because he’s such a great returner, you don’t want to wear him out in terms of how many snaps you’re asking him to take offensively. After that you’ve got a bunch of young guys. Chris Horn was an NFL Europe guys. Samie Paker is a rookie that we drafted that missed three weeks of training camp with a hamstring injury. You can go on down the line and there’s a number of different things you can point to, but I guess that would be the easiest. In terms of passing, passing is all generated on yards and where we’ve had the ability the past couple of seasons to have success is in our yards after the catch, our ability to make plays after we catch the ball. Right now our big plays in the passing game haven’t been coming, and it’s something that maybe that’s just who we are as an offense. We need to adapt a bit and be ready for a grind it out type game. As our receivers get healthy – they’re hamstrings will heal up, their Achilles’ will heal up, they’re other problems they’re dealing with (get better) – we can get more to a vertical passing game which we’ve done the previous two years.”

Q: What is Johnnie Morton’s situation with the Achilles’?

GREEN: “He’s a week to week guy. Johnnie, because he missed all of training camp and because it is an Achilles’ problem and is something he has to deal with on a day to day basis, I know we’ve gone to monitoring the number of reps he gets in practice instead of having him grind out every snap, they are actually regulating, in terms of numbers, how many snaps he gets at practice, how many snaps he gets on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, making sure that it tapers of towards the end of the week so he can be healthier for Sunday. That’s something of a technique that we used in St. Louis when Isaac Bruce in ‘99 when he was coming off chronic hamstring injuries in ‘97 and ‘98 and it obviously had a great deal of success. Al Saunders was the receiver coach then and found that to be a good thing for Isaac in terms of numbering his reps. And now that he is the offensive coordinator here, and we understand what Johnnie’s injury is, I think it’s more of a management type thing in making sure that we don’t overwork him during the week.”