PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Scary or Tasteless?

Bob Dole
10-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Bob Dole is still trying to decide whether this is a cool, creepy plan or a tasteless, disrespectful plan.

On 10/28, the city of Texarkana, TX is providing a free public screening of "The Town that Dreaded Sundown" outdoors, in the park where two of the murders depicted in the movie are generally considered to have occurred.

If you're not familiar with it, the movie is seriously cheesy as only Charles B. Pierce can cheese something up (see Legend of Boggy Creek for proof), but if you ever wondered what happened to Mary Ann after she got off the island, it answers that question.

If you'd like to read a more factual version of the topic of the movie, there's a pretty good version at http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolved/texarkana/index_1.html?sect=4

Help Bob Dole make up his mind and decide whether to attend.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Uh... I have no idea.

Rain Man
10-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Mary Ann was murdered in Texarkana?

She was never meant to live life in the big city.

Hydrae
10-13-2004, 05:38 PM
I voted for cool and creepy since these events are half a century old. Interesting reading on your link. I have only read the first chapter but will spend the next while perusing the rest.

The Pedestrian
10-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Cool and creepy. Unless he's going to be condescending against the victims while making the murderer so brilliant, it would be pretty hard to consider this a tasteless act.

Bob Dole
10-14-2004, 06:01 AM
Cool and creepy. Unless he's going to be condescending against the victims while making the murderer so brilliant, it would be pretty hard to consider this a tasteless act.

Bob Dole isn't sure that a city sponsored, public showing, at the scene, of a really bad film about the murder of a family member wouldn't upset him...

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Bob Dole isn't sure that a city sponsored, public showing, at the scene, of a really bad film about the murder of a family member wouldn't upset him...
I went out to Sunny Cal this summer on vacation and went to Univeral Studios and in front of the the Hard Rock Cafe in a little plaza they were showing School of Rock on a big screen. It was a pretty cool scene. I'd go and have some fun.

WTF in Mary Ann doing in the city? I thought she would have met her maker by some kind of farm implement accident.:hmmm:

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 07:18 AM

This is true. I would have voted "tasteless and disrespectful" except for the time lag. I assumed that the victims wouldn't have descendents or living relatives any more, and concluded that it rendered that potential complaint moot.

Of course, now that I think about it, all of the victims may not have been teenagers on Lovers Lane, so I guess maybe some of the victims could have already had children. Every horror movie shows young teenagers on Lover's Lane, though, so I blame Hollywood for my flawed thinking.