PDA

View Full Version : Beltran gets to "showcase" his skills on a national stage!

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
I know we all are pretty bummed out with the Royals. But it is nice to see former Royals (Damon, Suppan and now Beltran) have success in the postseason..Now the rest of the Country gets to see what we in KC have known about for the past 6 years or so. ..well..bittersweet I guess would be the term.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9902160.htm

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm failing to see the sweet here.

Sure-Oz
10-13-2004, 06:56 PM
They won't remember he was from KC, they will remember he was from Houston.

Frazod
10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
I hope he falls on his ass.

But I doubt that will happen.

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 07:00 PM
They won't remember he was from KC, they will remember he was from Houston.

True.....thats the bitter part...

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 07:00 PM
What's the sweet part?

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 07:04 PM
What's the sweet part?

Oh..just the satisfaction of knowing that KC "developed" both Beltran and Damon.....at least they did something right?

Count Alex's Wins
10-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah guys. Gosh, it was so great seeing Neil Smith showcase his skills for the Broncos.

Sure-Oz
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Yeah, we tend to be the farm system for other MLB teams.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Oh..just the satisfaction of knowing that KC "developed" both Beltran and Damon.....at least they did something right?
Wait.... lemme..... nope. Not doing anything for me.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
See, Deberg, the problem is... we aren't *technically* a farm team. So, it gives me no pride to see our best players go elsewhere and shine.

tk13
10-13-2004, 07:13 PM
I still don't understand what got into Suppan... he was the Royals' "ace" for a couple years but he never really pitched like it. He was a home run machine... he was a pretty reliable innings eater though.

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
See, Deberg, the problem is... we aren't *technically* a farm team. So, it gives me no pride to see our best players go elsewhere and shine.

Too bad the rest of the league see us as Triple AAA

Sure-Oz
10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Too bad the rest of the league see us as Triple AAA
probably cause half of our team is from the minors and we play like the damn indians from major league except the winning in the end part. :cuss:

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Lets make our Royals team from players we have let go.

C -
1B -
2B -
SS -
3B -
LF - Johnny Damon
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Jermaine Dye
DH -

Pitchers

TEX
10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
In Houston we like to refer to Beltran as the NEW Mr. OCTOBER! :thumb:

I sure hope we can keep him, and he says he wants to stay here and play. However, after the show he's put on thus far, I'm quite sure the Yankees will come calling.

This is exactly what's wrong with baseball and you folks in KC know all about it. It's so hard for small market teams to keep their players. But think about this - You know baseball has a huge problem when a major market, like Houston, also can't compete with the Yankees...:shake:

Ari Chi3fs
10-13-2004, 07:50 PM
5th Jack of October... damn

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
So how can the Cardinals still compete every year??? They are not much bigger than KC. Do they really have that much bigger a budget than us?? How can they generate so much more revenue than KC??

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
So how can the Cardinals still compete every year??? They are not much bigger than KC. Do they really have that much bigger a budget than us?? How can they generate so much more revenue than KC??
Y'know... I'm sure someone's explained this here before... probably a number of times... but, I always manage to miss it.

Perhaps I'll catch it this go 'round.

Sure-Oz
10-13-2004, 10:17 PM
I have no idea, I thought there were way more people in stlouis or atleast someone posted that i thought.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
I have no idea, I thought there were way more people in stlouis or atleast someone posted that i thought.
If I was more energetic I'd go hit the census website and see the comparison of metro areas.

Miles
10-13-2004, 10:22 PM

The Cardinals have had around an 80mil payroll the last few years. I think the Royals has been around 50 but im not really sure. The Cardinals market covers most of the midwest and they have fans all over the country where the Royals seem to be strictly regional. Im not sure why this is but i would guess the Cardinals longer history and better success over the last 10yrs has a lot to do with it. They are also about tapped out with their current payroll but are hardly losing money.

Being in the AL and having the 2 bigest spenders in the league doesnt help the Royals one bit either. This year with the Angels spending the AL had the top 3 spenders and they all made the playoffs.

Basically the economics of baseball sucks.

Deberg_1990
10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
The Cardinals have had around an 80mil payroll the last few years. I think the Royals has been around 50 but im not really sure. The Cardinals market covers most of the midwest and they have fans all over the country where the Royals seem to be strictly regional. Im not sure why this is but i would guess the Cardinals longer history and better success over the last 10yrs has a lot to do with it. They are also about tapped out with their current payroll but are hardly losing money.

Being in the AL and having the 2 bigest spenders in the league doesnt help the Royals one bit either. This year with the Angels spending the AL had the top 3 spenders and they all made the playoffs.

Basically the economics of baseball sucks.

I think that KMOX broadcasting the Cards games on AM radio has helped their "national" fanbase as well. Basically KMOX is one of the biggest AM radio stations in the country.

ENDelt260
10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Gawdammit, Carlos!

tk13
10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah there is. KC metro is something like 1.6 million I believe. St. Louis metro is 3+ million.

KHinz57
10-14-2004, 01:23 AM
The thing about it is, teams like St. Louis spend their money wisely. Offer big contracts to players whom you know you can count on, alas Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen, not waste money on crap like Juan Gonzalez, Chuck Knoblauch, Matt Stairs, Brian Anderson, Benito Santiago, Darrell May, possibly Mike Sweeney due to his health issues.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Unfortunately, we're f*cked with Sweeney. No one's stupid enough to take him off our hands.

But, when your payroll is twice ours, you can afford a mistake like that every 5 years or so. Sweeney's gonna hurt us for awhile. It seemed like a good idea at the time. [Royals homer on]Heck, it could still go good next year.[/Royals homer]

Miles
10-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Unfortunately, we're f*cked with Sweeney. No one's stupid enough to take him off our hands.

But, when your payroll is twice ours, you can afford a mistake like that every 5 years or so. Sweeney's gonna hurt us for awhile. It seemed like a good idea at the time. [Royals homer on]Heck, it could still go good next year.[/Royals homer]

Yeah it was a pretty good idea at the time. He was one of the better 1Bs in the game then. His numbers were not that terrible last season...just not up to the level he is being paid for. They may get someone to take him on if KC pays part of his remaining contract. It could be worse...at least he isnt Griffey.

tk13
10-14-2004, 02:13 AM
The thing about it is, teams like St. Louis spend their money wisely. Offer big contracts to players whom you know you can count on, alas Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen, not waste money on crap like Juan Gonzalez, Chuck Knoblauch, Matt Stairs, Brian Anderson, Benito Santiago, Darrell May, possibly Mike Sweeney due to his health issues.
Can't argue with the theory of that, but those "big 3" guys for the Cards all make way more than every Royal on that list except for Sweeney. Most of those Royals are in the 3-4 million dollar range... Stairs only makes a million-plus, which isn't too bad for a guy with 20 HR-80 RBI potential as a bench player.

tk13
10-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Interesting tidbit in Jeffrey Flanagan's column in the star...

This week's “Brainwashed Award” has got to go to Carlos Beltran. Did you happen to read Beltran's quotes in The Star on Wednesday?

Beltran said of owners, “When you own a major-league team, you've got to be rich. Real rich to own a team. Every team in baseball can afford to have a good team. It depends on the mentality of the owner.

“George Steinbrenner — his mentality is, I want to win. Some owners' mentality is, I'm here for business, I'm not here for winning. I just want to make my money and move on. I have a lot of admiration for Steinbrenner. Know why? He cares. He cares about his team. He cares about winning.”

Wow. On how many different levels is this bizarre? Obviously, Beltran is buttering up King George for a big, fat contract this winter.

But does Beltran really expect owners in Minnesota and Kansas City and San Diego and Milwaukee to start putting up $180 million payrolls? By my math, David Glass would lose about $120 million a season doing that, meaning he and his family would be flat broke within about four years (Glass is rich, but he's not even on the Fortune 500 list).

Earth to Carlos: Your hero, King George, spends that much because he's got a big, fat cable contract that pulls in, some analysts say, about $130 million a year, not because he cares.

Oh, and in 2002, it was estimated Steinbrenner still made $16 million in profit, thanks to that cable money.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/9912375.htm

Ari Chi3fs
10-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I have a lot of admiration for $teinbrenner. Know why? He care$. He care$ about hi$ team. He care$ about winning.”

Ari Chi3fs
10-16-2004, 06:01 PM
He just jacked #7 of the postseason... which is one shy of Barry Bonds all time record of 8... and he may not even GET to the world series to shatter the record.

Bowser
10-16-2004, 06:05 PM
I only hope the Dodgers or the Red Sox can steal Beltran away from the Yankees.