PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil to Retire After the 2005 Season?

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 06:49 AM
-- Vermeil to Retire After the 2005 Season --

Thu Oct 14, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com
The Florida Times-Union reports Chiefs HC Dick Vermeil reiterated Wednesday that he will retire after next season, no matter how much his close friend, Kansas City GM Carl Peterson, tries to persuade him otherwise. The Chiefs are 1-3 this year but went 13-3 last year in Vermeil's third season, tying the franchise record for victories. "I'm definitely retiring [after next year],'' Vermeil said. "I'll finish this year and go one more, which is what I told Carl all along. I'll be 69 when I retire, and I will miss it.''

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
-- Vermeil to Retire After the 2005 Season --

Thu Oct 14, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com
The Florida Times-Union reports Chiefs HC Dick Vermeil reiterated Wednesday that he will retire after next season, no matter how much his close friend, Kansas City GM Carl Peterson, tries to persuade him otherwise. The Chiefs are 1-3 this year but went 13-3 last year in Vermeil's third season, tying the franchise record for victories. "I'm definitely retiring [after next year],'' Vermeil said. "I'll finish this year and go one more, which is what I told Carl all along. I'll be 69 when I retire, and I will miss it.'' He may retire after 2005, but I don't believe anything from this source.

bricks
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Well, I guess the window of opportunity for the Chiefs is this year and next year.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 08:38 AM
The other day he said he wouldn't coach past 2006. It depends on if we win the SB this year or next whether he stays for 2006.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-14-2004, 08:40 AM
I really won't miss him. I wouldn't mind him leaving after this year. Hopefully our next coach will have more sack.

nmt1
10-14-2004, 08:48 AM
It really wasn't that hard to figure out. It was widely reported last offseason that Vermiel's contract extension or new contract, whatever the case may be, was for two years. This one and the next. My guess is Captain Obvious has a new gig at FFMastermind.com.

bricks
10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I really won't miss him. I wouldn't mind him leaving after this year. Hopefully our next coach will have more sack.

I kinda feel the same way. I mean don't get me wrong, I like DV. He's a good coach. I think he's demonstrated from his time being here, he's showed that he is not a hard-nosed coach. He's developed good relationships with players through love. But anyway, if we don't win anything all that won't mean jack.
Too be honest, I kinda like those hard-nosed in your face type coaches. Coaches with lot of guts, character, determination and don't take any bs. Treats his players hard, loves 'em, gets his players to play for 'em. Oh, and one that knows about "Defense". That's the kinda coach I like. I'm kinda getting tired of this loyalty, crying stuff. No offense to DV, that's the way he is, but, after a certain period of time some of us probably get tired, and bored. In other words, I don't mind if DV stays, but, I also don't mind change as well.

JimNasium
10-14-2004, 09:04 AM
I kinda feel the same way. I mean don't get me wrong, I like DV. He's a good coach. I think he's demonstrated from his time being here, he's showed that he is not a hard-nosed coach. He's developed good relationships with players through love. But anyway, if we don't win anything all that won't mean jack.
Too be honest, I kinda like those hard-nosed in your face type coaches. Coaches with lot of guts, character, determination and don't take any bs. Treats his players hard, loves 'em, gets his players to play for 'em. Oh, and one that knows about "Defense". That's the kinda coach I like. I'm kinda getting tired of this loyalty, crying stuff. No offense to DV, that's the way he is, but, after a certain period of time some of us probably get tired, and bored. In other words, I don't mind if DV stays, but, I also don't mind change as well.
I don't see how you can say that DV takes BS from his players. He always lets the players know where he stands. Hell, Gun was exactly the kind of head coach that you just described and he couldn't get anything done. Personally I'm tired of people bashing DV for being real.

Brock
10-14-2004, 09:08 AM

Sounds like you want Gunther.

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't see how you can say that DV takes BS from his players. He always lets the players know where he stands. Hell, Gun was exactly the kind of head coach that you just described and he couldn't get anything done. Personally I'm tired of people bashing DV for being real.

Yep look at Gun, perfect example. The fire and brimstone coaches just are not sucsessful with todays players. Right or wrong, it just is.

Parcells seems to be the only one that can get the fire and brimstone to work consistently with todays players.

nmt1
10-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Or Marty...

bricks
10-14-2004, 09:36 AM

i'm not really bashing the guy. I said I like the guy, I'm sure he's a good guy and everything don't me wrong. Ok, maybe I shoulda worded it a bit differently, I don't think he takes BS. Maybe I shoulda said he is way too loyal.
There is no reason the Chiefs should sign there own guys. I'm not talking guys like Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Tony Gonzalez. I'm talking about our guys that aren't performing, guys like Hicks, and Bartee. Why re-sign these guys if they can't perform? Does DV's loyalty play a role in re-signing these players? I think so. What, does he think he can do a better job of coaching them? No excuses, it's been 3 years now, and these sucked, so why keep 'em. Cause DV is to loyal, that's why. If it was a different coach, these guys would probably be gone. Just cause it didn't work with Gun. That doesn't mean it can't work with another coach. There are other coaches that probably are like Gun, ok maybe a little different, and get it done. Ala Bill Cowher, Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells.

bricks
10-14-2004, 09:38 AM

No. I wouldn't mind a Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells too be honest.

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm kinda getting tired of this loyalty, crying stuff.
I hear that. Oh wait... you didn't mean crying when we blow it every time we get an opportunity to go to the superbowl....

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Yep look at Gun, perfect example. The fire and brimstone coaches just are not sucsessful with todays players. Right or wrong, it just is.

Parcells seems to be the only one that can get the fire and brimstone to work consistently with todays players.
Sort of....but some players throw stuff at him.

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Maybe we can get Greg Robinson to come back in and be head coach.

Personally Id rather see him work at a manure production plant. Shoveling shit can make people become humble.

Swanman
10-14-2004, 10:01 AM

Coughlin's doing a pretty good job in NY right now, and he might be the biggest hardass in the league.

Brock
10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Coughlin's doing a pretty good job in NY right now, and he might be the biggest hardass in the league.

He is a good short term coach. But after a couple of years, his players tune him out.

Rausch
10-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Gunther is a good position coach and a good defensive coordinator. But much like Mike Martz he was not a good head coach.

I think he could be. I'm not saying he's ready now or he's changed his ways enough, but I think if he's learned from his first job and really allows that experience to be a teaching tool he could be a good HC.

That said, I don't believe I want him to take over after DV. If Saunders does I'd love to retain him as DC though...

CASHMAN
10-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I hope he does..........................

CASHMAN.

htismaqe
10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
If this team hires Bill Cowher for their next coach, I'll switch teams.

Count Zarth
10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I want Gunther to stay on as the defensive coordinator no matter who the head coach is. I doubt it happens though.

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 10:25 AM
He is a good short term coach. But after a couple of years, his players tune him out.

Yep just like Marty at the end of his run. The hard ass gets old after a while. You got to sprinkle some carrot in there with the stick or else its burn out in 2 or 3 years.

Count Zarth
10-14-2004, 10:31 AM
If this team hires Bill Cowher for their next coach, I'll switch teams.

Why? Bill has his teams contending every year and he actually made it to the SB only to be done-in by bad QB play.

bricks
10-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Why? Bill has his teams contending every year and he actually made it to the SB only to be done-in by bad QB play.

I agree.

bricks
10-14-2004, 11:09 AM
I hear that. Oh wait... you didn't mean crying when we blow it every time we get an opportunity to go to the superbowl....

I mean just the crying in general. Every time Dante returns a kick, when Grob re-signed. My gosh, that was the worst I've ever seen of DV. yep, when our team fails to make a SB run.

*I can't understand why he would cry when one of, if not the worst def-co in Chiefs history re-signed. I guess DV is like the Lord our God, he just loves everybody. That's probably why the players enjoy playing for him, he shows affection for them, and does it well. I just think there has to be more of a fine line on the loyalty and the crying. But, if that's the way he is, then that's the way he is, it can't change. :shrug: It's funny, at times, but, sometimes I'm like :shake:

htismaqe
10-14-2004, 11:14 AM

Cowher's teams since Tom Donahoe left have been mediocre to poor.

But my main reason is that he is a Marty disciple, and worse yet, he's only 1 step removed (former KC DC under Marty)...

I want a FRESH START.

Straight, No Chaser
10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
i'm not really bashing the guy. I said I like the guy, I'm sure he's a good guy and everything don't me wrong. Ok, maybe I shoulda worded it a bit differently, I don't think he takes BS. Maybe I shoulda said he is way too loyal.

WTF?
Giving you the benefit of better judgement here ^^

It's really too F'ing bad that a class act, a truly unique and original thinker that's elevated this organization inside and out through his philosophy and actions will only truly be appreciated by some until long after he's gone.

Cause DV is to loyal, that's why. If it was a different coach, these guys would probably be gone. Just cause it didn't work with Gun. That doesn't mean it can't work with another coach. There are other coaches that probably are like Gun, ok maybe a little different, and get it done. Ala Bill Cowher, Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells.

I can appreciate your accolades of these coaches too. I, also pine for the days of a Cowher run defensive unit that dominates at Arrrowhead. However, I see DV's personality the better fit for Kansas City and the fans of the Chiefs.

--->

Mark M
10-14-2004, 11:43 AM
I want a FRESH START.

I couldn't agree more.

I really, really, REALLY hope that the folloiwng happens:

1. Carl leaves with DV
2. Clark Hunt takes over the team from Lamar.
3. Clark gets a good, young GM (the guy from NE has been mentioned, although I'm not sure why the heck he would leave such a good situation)
4. The new GM persuades a young college coach to come to KC (not sure who, but Stoops, Saban, and a few others might be persuaded with enough $$ thrown their way).

MM
~~:grovel:

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 11:53 AM
3. Clark gets a good, young GM (the guy from NE has been mentioned, although I'm not sure why the heck he would leave such a good situation)

MM

He would get a promotion to GM . More money. He will always be in Belachecks shadow there. This can be his baby. His show.

htismaqe
10-14-2004, 11:54 AM
I couldn't agree more.

I really, really, REALLY hope that the folloiwng happens:

1. Carl leaves with DV
2. Clark Hunt takes over the team from Lamar.
4. The new GM persuades a young college coach to come to KC (not sure who, but Stoops, Saban, and a few others might be persuaded with enough $$ thrown their way).

MM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bricks
10-14-2004, 12:14 PM
WTF?
Giving you the benefit of better judgement here ^^

It's really too F'ing bad that a class act, a truly unique and original thinker that's elevated this organization inside and out through his philosophy and actions will only truly be appreciated by some until long after he's gone.

I can appreciate your accolades of these coaches too. I, also pine for the days of a Cowher run defensive unit that dominates at Arrrowhead. However, I see DV's personality the better fit for Kansas City and the fans of the Chiefs.

--->

your opinion, cool.

Mark M
10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
He would get a promotion to GM . More money. He will always be in Belachecks shadow there. This can be his baby. His show.

Well, in that case then hell ya. The guy obviously has an incredible eye for talent.

MM
~~:clap:

bricks
10-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Cowher's teams since Tom Donahoe left have been mediocre to poor.

But my main reason is that he is a Marty disciple, and worse yet, he's only 1 step removed (former KC DC under Marty)...

I want a FRESH START.

Cowher is a better coach than Marty. What is your reason to say he is a Marty disciple? The guy has been to 3 AFC championship games, and has 1 superbowl appearance. I think he could win a bowl. Plus, he's had a lot more winning seasons than losing seasons. He's a good coach, and I don't mind seeing him here. If he was sh*t than Pittsburgh woulda got rid of him a long time ago. Question: How many coaches in the NFL, maintain there continuity with an organization? Not too many. And Bill Cowher is one to name. I think most people would call him a Marty disciple cause he loves to run the ball and play defense. But, so what? It wins, it's simple, and it shows on his record. He builds his teams tough, physical. It shows when they play. His teams reflect around his character. That's the way football should be played. tough, violent. When I see a hit, I want to see the f*cking guy down, and not remember what hits 'em when he gets back up. Vermeil's teams don't reflect around that. If no one believes me than why has our defense been soft and pitiful the last 3 years? And why would we be calling Gunther back to coach our defense? With Cowher that would never be a problem. And defense wins championships.

Mark M
10-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Cowher is a better coach than Marty. What is your reason to say he is a Marty disciple? The guy has been to 3 AFC championship games, and has 1 superbowl appearance. I think he could win a bowl. Plus, he's had a lot more winning seasons than losing seasons. He's a good coach, and I don't mind seeing him here. If he was sh*t than Pittsburgh woulda got rid of him a long time ago. Question: How many coaches in the NFL, maintain there continuity with an organization? Not too many. And Bill Cowher is one to name. I think most people would call him a Marty disciple cause he loves to run the ball and play defense. But, so what? It wins, it's simple, and it shows on his record. He builds his teams tough, physical. It shows when they play. His teams reflect around his character. That's the way football should be played. tough, violent. When I see a hit, I want to see the f*cking guy down, and not remember what hits 'em when he gets back up. Vermeil's teams don't reflect around that. If no one believes me than why has our defense been soft and pitiful the last 3 years? And why would we be calling Gunther back to coach our defense? With Cowher that would never be a problem. And defense wins championships.

While I certainly admire Cowher, he just singed an extension in Pittsburgh. I doubt he'd leave by '06.

MM
~~:shake:

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 12:31 PM
And defense wins championships.
Its a defensive league. Thats why the donx are doing well. Thats why we were very consistant back in the mid-90s. Defense is more exciting anyway. I want to see a chiefs team that can stop anyone, anywhere, anytime. Defense also is more consistant than offense. Offense comes in spurts and defense is continuous. I'll take continuous.

philfree
10-14-2004, 12:34 PM
When DV retires I'd like to see the Chiefs keep the style of offense they are running as well as keep Gun as the DC. For that to happen Carl is gonna have to be here. I don't know if Saunders would be a good HC or not. If he became HC who would be the OC?

PhilFree :arrow:

bricks
10-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Its a defensive league. Thats why the donx are doing well. Thats why we were very consistant back in the mid-90s. Defense is more exciting anyway. I want to see a chiefs team that can stop anyone, anywhere, anytime. Defense also is more consistant than offense. Offense comes in spurts and defense is continuous. I'll take continuous.

Oh totally man. A good defense has I think a better chance to get you into the playoffs than an explosive offense that can't stop anyone. I give defense the upper hand cause they can score, turn the ball over and help out your offense. Plus, yeah I'm with ya, I love seeing bone-crunching hits, tortched faces on Qb's, running backs getting stuff behind the LOS. And just defensive players getting pumped up when they make a big play, just brings out the excitement in me. interceptions, fumbles, defense is great! I think you still need a capable offense, a decent one that can score some points. You can't have a terrible offense and a great defense to win, ala 'fins. unless, you're the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Oh totally man. A good defense has I think a better chance to get you into the playoffs than an explosive offense that can't stop anyone. I give defense the upper hand cause they can score, turn the ball over and help out your offense. Plus, yeah I'm with ya, I love seeing bone-crunching hits, tortched faces on Qb's, running backs getting stuff behind the LOS. And just defensive players getting pumped up when they make a big play, just brings out the excitement in me. interceptions, fumbles, defense is great! I think you still need a capable offense, a decent one that can score some points. You can't have a terrible offense and a great defense to win, ala 'fins. unless, you're the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.
ala Chiefs w/ Steve Bono *cough cough*

Straight, No Chaser
10-14-2004, 12:43 PM
While I certainly admire Cowher, he just singed an extension in Pittsburgh. I doubt he'd leave by '06.

MM
~~:shake:

I doubt he ever leaves.
If you look at Cowher's record it's pretty damn good. He's had cosistently good teams in PA, that's it. With a bounce of the ball in SB XXX the Steelers could have been on the other end. Is he Chuck Knoll? NF waaaaaaaay. One reason he's there is because he fits the city's personality. If you listen to Ohio Valley radio, the fans beach about the Steelers all the time. THERE IS NO PERFECT COACH. Vermiel is (arguably) KC's best coach since Hank Stram. Far and above Marty or Gunther...

--->