PDA

View Full Version : I hate baseball (in it's current state)

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-14-2004, 08:20 AM
The two teams I hate the most are gonna play in the World Series most likely....Yankmees and Cardinals. This sports year sucks out loud. Either the Yankmees win yet another championship or I have to listen to the endless self-gratifying arrogance of all the finch fans I'm surrounded with in this part of the country...the worst of which I work with and who never misses and opportunity to slam the Royals while pimping the Cards.

But hey..it could be worse I guess.....I mean it's not like MY team had their worst season in team history or anything................

:spock:

:cuss:

:banghead:

nlm you finch fans....

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 08:39 AM
beer me, baseball is a great game. It's not as fun to wach as football but it's still got its good points. I coach a little league baseball team and to get down in the dirt and grass and teach the kids how to field a ground ball etc is very cool. I tell the players all the time that this is real baseball (dirt/grass/little league) being played here. Theres no free agency, no small markets, no slimy agents, no billionaire owners and millionaire players squabblng. Just a kids game being played in the dirt and grass on a nice summer day.

You should go to a little league game some day. Watch the players play with passion and look at the fun they are having. It's not a bad way to relax after a hard day at the office.

Chief Henry
10-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Tony Womack...1st
Larry Walker...2nd
Albert Pujols...3rd
Scott Rolen...4th
Jim Edmonds...5th
Edgar Renteria...6th
Reggie Sanders...7th
Mike Matheny...8th
Pitcher...9th

That line up 1-8 packs an offensive bunch :)

Amnorix
10-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Professional baseball is a total joke.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
It's those Houston Cardinals that I hate.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
beer me, baseball is a great game. It's not as fun to wach as football but it's still got its good points. I coach a little league baseball team and to get down in the dirt and grass and teach the kids how to field a ground ball etc is very cool. I tell the players all the time that this is real baseball (dirt/grass/little league) being played here. Theres no free agency, no small markets, no slimy agents, no billionaire owners and millionaire players squabblng. Just a kids game being played in the dirt and grass on a nice summer day.
I know baseball is a great game. It's the best game on earth. I grew up idolizing the Royals, playing little league and playing "empty lot" ball with a tennis ball...(so we wouldn't break windows). That's the thing that disgusts me most about the current state of baseball... those days of innocence and everyone having hope are long gone. It's all about the money you can spend...or the money you can't. Yes I know the Twins are a bit of an exception....but not really. I mean they win a weak division full of crappy organizations and they don't advance once in the playoffs. They're just the best of the worst. This is why I put (in it's current state) in the thread title.

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 08:58 AM
beer me, I guess my point was that I agree with you about professional baseball. My positive attitude has nothing to do with my baseball team having current success. It's because I'm returning to that empty lot and that tennis ball innocence when I'm coaching those kids. Those days are not gone in the little league or in the faces of those little leaguers.:thumb:

Demonpenz
10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
i hate little league football and baseball too, most of the kids play year round, have parents teaching a knuckle curve by the 4th grade. BRUSH HIM BACK BILLY HE IS CROWDING THE PLATE!

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-14-2004, 11:00 AM
beer me, I guess my point was that I agree with you about professional baseball. My positive attitude has nothing to do with my baseball team having current success. It's because I'm returning to that empty lot and that tennis ball innocence when I'm coaching those kids. Those days are not gone in the little league or in the faces of those little leaguers.:thumb:
I agree with you about the pure game...but I was talking professional.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-14-2004, 11:01 AM
i hate little league football and baseball too, most of the kids play year round, have parents teaching a knuckle curve by the 4th grade. BRUSH HIM BACK BILLY HE IS CROWDING THE PLATE!
ROFL

funnier....if it weren't so true.

homey
10-14-2004, 11:07 AM
I It's all about the money you can spend...or the money you can't. Yes I know the Twins are a bit of an exception....but not really. I mean they win a weak division full of crappy organizations and they don't advance once in the playoffs. They're just the best of the worst. This is why I put (in it's current state) in the thread title.

marlins last year? angles the year before? no, it's not about bank accounts it's about who can produce the best players and who stays healthy. remember when the yankees started winning 8 or 9 years ago? they did that with homegrown talent mixed in with vets. cards have, what, the 9th biggest payroll?

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 12:10 PM
i hate little league football and baseball too, most of the kids play year round, have parents teaching a knuckle curve by the 4th grade. BRUSH HIM BACK BILLY HE IS CROWDING THE PLATE!Not on my team. We stress sportsmanship. Ain't no curve balls being thrown.Off my little league teams website:

We believe in the philosophy of positive reinforcement. Making sure the kids learn good baseball fundamentals and having fun is the key to long term success in competitive baseball. We feel strongly as parents that we donít want our family spending their summer traveling to out of town baseball tournaments. We want our sonís exposed to a higher level of competition but not at the expense of forcing our families lifes to revolve around a baseball team.

We have some unique ideas that we use to help build Cardinal team spirit and unity. We give out ball cards, baseball memorabilia, practice MVPís awards to players who hustle or encourage their teammates. The players vote for the team MVP after every game. That player is awarded the MVP hat to wear till the next game. We will joke around with the players, do fun drills. But, what really makes the Cardinals team unique is the belief that calling attention to what our son's did right instead of dwelling on what they need to improve on adds to their growth as players and young men

Demonpenz
10-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Not on my team. We stress sportsmanship. Ain't no curve balls being thrown.Off my little league teams website:

We believe in the philosophy of positive reinforcement. Making sure the kids learn good baseball fundamentals and having fun is the key to long term success in competitive baseball. We feel strongly as parents that we donít want our family spending their summer traveling to out of town baseball tournaments. We want our sonís exposed to a higher level of competition but not at the expense of forcing our families lifes to revolve around a baseball team.

We have some unique ideas that we use to help build Cardinal team spirit and unity. We give out ball cards, baseball memorabilia, practice MVPís awards to players who hustle or encourage their teammates. The players vote for the team MVP after every game. That player is awarded the MVP hat to wear till the next game. We will joke around with the players, do fun drills. But, what really makes the Cardinals team unique is the belief that calling attention to what our son's did right instead of dwelling on what they need to improve on adds to their growth as players and young men

sounds fun, but is all that going to help billy learn to hit a curveball

tk13
10-14-2004, 03:34 PM
I know baseball is a great game. It's the best game on earth. I grew up idolizing the Royals, playing little league and playing "empty lot" ball with a tennis ball...(so we wouldn't break windows). That's the thing that disgusts me most about the current state of baseball... those days of innocence and everyone having hope are long gone. It's all about the money you can spend...or the money you can't. Yes I know the Twins are a bit of an exception....but not really. I mean they win a weak division full of crappy organizations and they don't advance once in the playoffs. They're just the best of the worst. This is why I put (in it's current state) in the thread title.
I said it before the series, and I still believe the Twins were every bit good enough to beat the Yankees. Watch the games. They had them on the ropes, had them 2 outs away from going 2-0 in the series... but their manager left a gassed pitcher in there and let the game slip away. If I were a Twins fan that series had to be pretty depressing... I think that was a team capable of winning a World Series, not to mention taking out the Yankees, and they flubbed it up.

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I love baseball, it is a sport where it makes you think alot. Thats why I am glad Springfield is getting a minor league team, baseball ats it finest. But the I agree with beerme, MLB sucks. Yankees and Red Sox. That is all you hear. I like the stat on ESPN though that the only ALCS that the Yankees have lost is to the Royals.

PastorMikH
10-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Oddly enough, baseball has kept my attention better this year than it has for the last decade.

GO CARDS!!! :thumb:

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
I like the stat on ESPN though that the only ALCS that the Yankees have lost is to the Royals.

I missed that. That's their only ALCS loss ever?

Road Hog
10-14-2004, 04:15 PM
You have to realize that baseball in St Louis is a religion, much like football in KC

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 04:16 PM
I missed that. That's their only ALCS loss ever?
Crazy.

2003 New York 4, Boston 3
2001 New York 4, Seattle 1
2000 New York 4, Seattle 2
1999 New York 4, Boston 1
1998 New York 4, Cleveland 2
1996 New York 4, Baltimore 1
1980 Kansas City 3, New York 0
1978 New York 3, Kansas City 1
1977 New York 3, Kansas City 2
1976 New York 3, Kansas City 2

tk13
10-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Another interesting fact is, since the beginning of the Yankees latest "dynasty" in 1996, 9 different teams have played in the last 8 Worlds Series. In the last 8 Super Bowls over the same era, 11 different teams have played in a Super Bowl. Not a massive difference really I suppose... at least smaller than most people would believe.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Another interesting fact is, since the beginning of the Yankees latest "dynasty" in 1996, 9 different teams have played in the last 8 Worlds Series. In the last 8 Super Bowls over the same era, 11 different teams have played in a Super Bowl. Not a massive difference really I suppose... at least smaller than most people would believe.
Uh, the massive difference is that one team has been in six of those WS.

No one team was in six of those Super Bowls.

tk13
10-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Uh, the massive difference is that one team has been in six of those WS.

No one team was in six of those Super Bowls.
That's a very valid point, I was just saying the number was much closer than even I expected... :)

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 04:50 PM
That's a very valid point, I was just saying the number was much closer than even I expected... :)
You're talking about 8 years here.. the highest the number could be is 16.

tk13
10-14-2004, 05:15 PM
You're talking about 8 years here.. the highest the number could be is 16.
Yeah, but once you put the Yankees 6 in there, that number goes down to 10. Those slots were filled by 8 different teams, so the Yankees, Braves, and Marlins were the only teams to make multiple World Series. In the NFL, the Patriots (3), Packers (2), Broncos (2), St. Louis (2)... all made multiple Super Bowl appearances. What that means, I don't know.

How about this number then if you want a larger group.... since the beginning of the Yankees Dynasty, 15 different teams have played in an ALCS or NLCS. In the NFL, 17 different teams have played in an AFC or NFC Championship Game for the right to go to a Super Bowl.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I guess I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Crush
10-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Praying for a Red Sox/Astros World Series.

Hates both the Yankees and Cardinals equally.

tk13
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm not really making any point, just throwing out numbers. :) Although personally I think if you MLB doesn't look nearly as bad as some of the baseball-complainers on here like to make it seem... especially when I hear all the "That's why MLB is what it is and the NFL is what it is" talk. The Yankees are the big thorn in the side of everything, if they could be reigned in baseball might be more equal than football.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm not really making any point, just throwing out numbers. :)

Whew

Although personally I think if you MLB doesn't look nearly as bad as some of the baseball-complainers on here like to make it seem...

Sure it does. The Yankees were in 6 of the last 8 WS.

especially when I hear all the "That's why MLB is what it is and the NFL is what it is" talk. The Yankees are the big thorn in the side of everything

Maybe I'm alone on this... but, when I hear the MLB vs. NFL talk, the Yankees are what I'm thinking of. They're the only ones blowing insane amounts of cash and having a good amount of hardware to show for it.

tk13
10-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Whew

Maybe I'm alone on this... but, when I hear the MLB vs. NFL talk, the Yankees are what I'm thinking of. They're the only ones blowing insane amounts of cash and having a good amount of hardware to show for it.
Oh well, I'm not going to get into a huge argument and get myself piled on. I just don't resign like most people and say, "Well the Yankees are too good"... I don't know, it just doesn't bother me. I think they are beatable. I think, just like the Braves, a lot their success is smart (or poor for the other team) managing. Each of the last two years they've faced teams who've had them on the ropes and left pitchers in too long when they were obviously gassed... and in the end the Yankees took advantage of that. And of course some of it is just pure luck, like Schilling getting hurt, that changes the complexion of the series, a healthy Schilling would've given the Red Sox a fighting chance. I'm not crazy, I'd obviously like to see them reigned in, but the money they spend doesn't drive me up a wall as much as all the little breaks they always seem to catch that have nothing to do with how much money they spend.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
I just don't resign like most people and say, "Well the Yankees are too good"

You shouldn't. They're not.

But, one would have to be blind not to recognize that they have a large, unfair advantage, and have used it to their benefit successfully.

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
And, of course.. the real ill... folks feel compelled to compete with them... salaries go up.. and the second half the MLB vs. NFL argument comes in.... KC trades Beltran.

Frazod
10-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Oddly enough, baseball has kept my attention better this year than it has for the last decade.

GO CARDS!!! :thumb:

The Royals rekindled my interest last year. The Cardinals maintained it this year.

I've probably watched more baseball games in the past two seasons than I did in the previous 10.

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 06:00 PM

You should go to a little league game some day. Watch the players play with passion and look at the fun they are having. It's not a bad way to relax after a hard day at the office.
I agree, the game is pure, it is MLB that is corrupt.

I had given up on baseball and boycotted the MLB out of my mind to the point that I couldn't tell you who played for who.

This year, for reasons I will not mention, I found myself at the ballpark reminiscing about all the memories with my dad when I was young, and life was long.

I was at the game on Saturday when the Angels clinched out the A's, and I had never experienced that before, the opposing team celebrating in your yard. I found it hard to leave the park, I mean, that was it for the year. A long winter, rain, fog, and chit that is the Central Valley.

All the stupid Angel fans with their chitass grins, I walk past the penent that says 1989(I attended it) world Champions, then I like go, "that was 15 years ago".

Great game, great memories, corrupt league.

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Professional baseball is a total joke.

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 06:17 PM
When I was in little league, a pitcher that we owned had a mother who happened to be attending her daughters soccer game near a field that we were using to practice. She notices our coach and proceeds to cuss him up one f bomb side and down the sob other right in front of us impressionable youth.

The reason, he told us that her son was wild and couldn't throw strikes. So we were taking a lot of pitches and drawing a lot of walks. Our coach was right, we one the game, she took it personal because her son got embarrassed.

Well, the coach is running for city council this year, and I don't know what the fug happend to the soccer mom.

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 06:19 PM
ROFL

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Whew

The rest of the league ought to play for the right to face the Yankees in the World Series. That pretty much sums up baseball right now.

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
You have to realize that baseball in St Louis is a religion, much like football in KC

Kansas City used to be a baseball town, not football.

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I just wish every team had a fair shot in baseball salary wise. I believe an 85 million salary cap would be fair in baseball. It would put alot more empahize on developing younger talent, ala the NFL. Also I wish baseball had a better tv deal, here is what I wish they would do:

Saturday - Have all teams play daygames
NL - Fox
AL - CBS

Sunday Night - ESPN or ESPN2 (Game of the Week Deal)

Tuesday Night - Baseball Night in America - All teams involved
NL - NBC
AL - ABC

BigRedChief
10-14-2004, 06:37 PM
sounds fun, but is all that going to help billy learn to hit a curveballSure. You think that you have to yell at kids to get their attention. To motivate them to play their best? Travel all around the country. Most of those kids playing little league the other way either burn out by High School or hurt their arms. My kids will be well adjusted and have learned basic fundamentals and are confident.

It is really hard for me to recruit players but I finally have a great team that has bought into the way I think things should be done. We are in the top 20 in the state. And we never comprimise on our principles to win,

ENDelt260
10-14-2004, 07:23 PM
I could live with 85 Mil

Put a floor on it, too... say 55 Mil? Cause, of course, we're gonna implement revenue sharing in our fantasty league, too. Gotta make sure folks aren't just pocketing the dollars.

If the Royals only spent the floor, I'd curse the Royals organization, and not MLB.

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2004, 07:28 PM
This year, for reasons I will not mention, I found myself at the ballpark reminiscing about all the memories with my dad when I was young, and life was long.

Exactly. I toss it around with my kid now. He's 20. I coached his team the first 6 years he played. Hit him ground balls every day from the time practice started.

Hit him a fly ball during warm up before a game when he was 8. He dove and caught the ball but his wrist git caught under him and fractured. Hell, I thought he was OK. Didn't take him to the ER. He woke me at 7am and said "Dad, my arm really hurts." Took him into the pediatrician who Xrayed him and found the injury.

Geez, I had guilt about that for weeks. He was our 1st base coach for 6 weeks.

PastorMikH
10-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Say Beer Me, did you happen to see the W last night the Cards put up?:)

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 08:03 AM
And, of course.. the real ill... folks feel compelled to compete with them... salaries go up.. and the second half the MLB vs. NFL argument comes in.... KC trades Beltran.

You know thats just not right, Beltran, Damon, Dye all casualties of an unjust system that is extremely unfair to loyal fans of teams other than the Yankees.

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 08:44 AM
You know thats just not right, Beltran, Damon, Dye all casualties of an unjust system that is extremely unfair to loyal fans of teams other than the Yankees.Seeing Suppan pitch to Beltran today is a slap in the face to loyal Royal fans. That shouldn't be happening. MLB just needs to look at the NFL. The blueprint is already done. Just follow the directions

dtebbe
10-16-2004, 09:08 AM
What I hate about baseball is how teams dump star players just because they are going to miss the playoffs. How the hell are you ever going to build a good team when you dump your star players at the first sign of trouble? At some point you have to bite the bullet and shell out the salaries a few years to build that strong core. Then once you are making the playoffs on a regular basis, you work hard on your farm system. The Atlanta Braves are the best example of this. Most of the core stars on thier team came up thru thier farm system, and then they do what it takes to keep them. Now I know the braves were extremely fortunate to have Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux all those years, but IMHO the braves are the anthisis of the Yankees in that they build thier team, where the Yankees buy thier team. Of coarse if championships are the benchmark, buying is winning right now. However it's pretty amazing that the Braves have won 13 division titles in a row, without breaking the bank.

DT

Elwaysux
10-16-2004, 09:57 AM
When will baseball smarten up and realize the day they lost the claim of America's Sport was when the NFL put in a salary cap and they didn't? I root for the Yankees after June 1 when the Royals fall out of contention and I despise Johnny Damon and all that he and his agent stand for but in the end parity will happen in baseball with another strike and the implentation of a hard salary cap. This should happen about 2085.

Blitz
10-16-2004, 10:01 AM
I don't mind Baseball, the past few years has renewed my interest in it. However, it is clearly my 3rd favourite league behind the NBA and NFL

Skip Towne
10-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Kansas City used to be a baseball town, not football.
Only while the Chiefs were shitty.

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 12:08 PM

St.Louis is a baseball town through and through. No doubt.

I didn't live here in the late 70's to mid 80's when Brett and Co. were rocking the K so I cant tell you about that but I do still see fans going out to the ballpark eeven though their team sucks and they have absolutly no chance of winning a World Series. Thats some pretty good fans.

Same with the Chiefs. I wasn't here in kc before the Marty/Carl era began so I don't know what it was like. But as of right now...This is a Chiefs town.

PrimeTime21
10-16-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah, i agree, Does anyone in here believe in "the curse"?

Over-Head
10-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Always thought of watching baseball, right up there with watching paint dry

Over-Head
10-16-2004, 12:38 PM

And with your track record this season ....It's sure looking like someone's gonna holler "PLAY BALL" real soonnn ROFL

PrimeTime21
10-16-2004, 12:42 PM
ha ha ha

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 01:59 PM
What I hate about baseball is how teams dump star players just because they are going to miss the playoffs. How the hell are you ever going to build a good team when you dump your star players at the first sign of trouble? At some point you have to bite the bullet and shell out the salaries a few years to build that strong core. Then once you are making the playoffs on a regular basis, you work hard on your farm system. The Atlanta Braves are the best example of this. Most of the core stars on thier team came up thru thier farm system, and then they do what it takes to keep them. Now I know the braves were extremely fortunate to have Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux all those years, but IMHO the braves are the anthisis of the Yankees in that they build thier team, where the Yankees buy thier team. Of coarse if championships are the benchmark, buying is winning right now. However it's pretty amazing that the Braves have won 13 division titles in a row, without breaking the bank.

DT
They Yankees also scout world wide for talent, sign contracts with anyone anywhere because they have the CASH.