PDA

View Full Version : Scariest TV shows/movies when you were a kid

ZepSinger
10-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Seems appropriate, what with Halloween coming up..

I remember as about a 5-6 yr. old watching those old(new at the time) B&W episodes of The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. I'm sure most of the scariness was due to the fact I was an innocent little tyke, but I still think back to some of those shows and get a chill.. :eek:

Anyone else have any horrifying TV/movie memories as a child?
http://www.star.niu.edu/weekender/120502/images/1205w-twilightzone-01.jpg

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't know about horrifying, but 'Watcher in the Woods' was some spooky shite.

ROYC75
10-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Seems appropriate, what with Halloween coming up..

I remember as about a 5-6 yr. old watching those old(new at the time) B&W episodes of The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. I'm sure most of the scariness was due to the fact I was an innocent little tyke, but I still think back to some of those shows and get a chill.. :eek:

Anyone else have any horrifying TV/movie memories as a child?
http://www.star.niu.edu/weekender/120502/images/1205w-twilightzone-01.jpg

Was when I was a kid. Movie ? Probally the Exorcist when it 1st came out, scared the hell out of alot of young kids !

Phobia
10-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I dunno about you, but Lavern from that Lavern and Shirley show scared the pooey out of me.

Phobia
10-14-2004, 09:03 AM
She still does.

seclark
10-14-2004, 09:05 AM
back in the 60's "the birds" scared the $hit out of me. when i made my kids watch it in the late 80's, they laughed and made fun of it.
sec

Braincase
10-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Rod Serling's Night Gallery (http://www.nightgallery.net/index.html?title.html&0)

and of course, Darrin McGavin was...

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (http://www.scifi.com/kolchak/)

teedubya
10-14-2004, 09:07 AM
I remember Amityville Horror and Salem's Lot scaring me as a kid...

And, seeing Phobias mom naked for the first time, terrifying stuff, in fact, I have a phobia of Phobias Mom, to this day.

Fat Elvis
10-14-2004, 09:09 AM
The UFO Incident and The Nutty Professor scared (if not scarred) me like there was no tomorrow.

alpha_omega
10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Night Gallery

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 09:15 AM
The Unsolved Mysteries when they did a special on ghosts and UFO's.

DenverChief
10-14-2004, 09:15 AM
friday fright night when I was a Kid...with the spinning red skull

wutamess
10-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Like Saul: Unsolved Mysteries.

Also The Shining when she's walking down that hallway and in the room that man's in that rabbit costume.

That has to be one of the freakiest scenes ever.

Wrong turn is pretty freaky also.

Scariest movie would have to be Darkness Falls.
That is my most underrated scary movie.

Scream I at the theatre was pretty shocking.

Poltergeist

CosmicPal
10-14-2004, 09:20 AM
The one movie that genuineally scrared the crap out of me was Jaws.

My brother and I made the "mistake" of sneaking into this movie while we were on vacation in Ft. Lauderdale. I was just a little boy then, but after watching that- I ended up swimming at the hotel pool for the remainder of the weekend.

Frosty
10-14-2004, 09:21 AM
When I was about 8, I saw a movie on TV called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Scared the crap out of me.

Chiefnj
10-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Scariest tv show as a kid was Kolchak (sp?).

I somehow saw Jaws in the theater when I was way too young and that scared me, as did the final scene from Carrie with the hand popping out of the grave.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 09:27 AM
The Shining and Amytiville Horror, of course. I also remember a movie on Friday Fright Night (channel 5 in KC? ) where these giant ants were attacking. I don't remember how old I was. Probably no older than 8. That was the first time I ever stayed up late (midnight).
Another movie that gave me nightmares was one where these bugs would get onto people and in their hair and they would light them on fire (I think, memory is a little vague on that one).

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Here....this is the show that freaked me out growing up.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-79

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE

Another show that scared me was "Werewolf" when it was on as a series in 1986 or 87 or 88...cant remember. I think Jack Palance was like the main enemy werewolf

Oh and there was this one show, long before that werewolf show. It was a movie. It was on TV a few times, like on a sunday afternoon made for TV kind of movie. I cant remember the name of it, but this family had this cabin out in the woods. The father was attacked by a wolf/werewolf, became infected, etc. Well the family never did find out. one of the scariest parts was when a guy was driving down the road and this father was in half man/half wolf form, ran out in the road, mae the driver swerve and rolled the car in the ditch. The father ran over and pulled the guy out of the car and started attacking/eating him. I been trying to find the name of this movie forever, if someone could get me that name, I'd pull a Dr. Jones and say "May he who illuminated this...illuminate me..."

oh, and one more show that kinda made me think where most of my toys and stuff went to....it was a Saturday morning cartoon that had 2 or 3 parts to it. it was called something similar to "World of Og" or something like that. THese little troll like things ran around the neighborhood and took things to their world under the ground called "Og" and they only talked using one word...what was that word you ask? Well, it was "Og". Id like to find this on DVD sometime.

Skip Towne
Silent films or talkies?

Lzen
Oh and I totally forgot Nightmare on Elm Street. Of course, those were coming out when I was getting into my teens. But they were pretty freaky at the time.

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 09:29 AM
The Shining and Amytiville Horror, of course. I also remember a movie on Friday Fright Night (channel 5 in KC? ) where these giant ants were attacking. I don't remember how old I was. Probably no older than 8. That was the first time I ever stayed up late (midnight).
Another movie that gave me nightmares was one where these bugs would get onto people and in their hair and they would light them on fire (I think, memory is a little vague on that one).

That giant ant movie was called

"THEY"

the good one to see is the spider movie with william shatner. That movie is hilarious

Lzen
10-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Scanners anyone? :)

Another movie was where they found mercury in this lake. It changed this bear into this monster like thing. Anyone know the name of this movie or any of the others I described?

Frosty
10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
That giant ant movie was called

"THEY"

the good one to see is the spider movie with william shatner. That movie is hilarious

Actually, I believe it was called "Them".

The movie with the bugs that set people on fire was simply called "Bug!".

oldandslow
10-14-2004, 09:36 AM
War of the Worlds

Lzen
10-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Cool, They (or Them) and Bug. I may have to go rent those (or maybe check em out from the library). The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll watch them now and realize they were stupid. Movies don't look stupid when you're a kid.

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll watch them now and realize they were stupid. Movies don't look stupid when you're a kid.

on that note...i used to think women were stupid as a kid. . . and that hasnt changed by much

siberian khatru
10-14-2004, 09:46 AM
TV: "Trilogy of Terror," the final segment with the little doll that terrorized Karen Black. The first "Night Stalker" TV-movie, with the vampire. Some episodes of "Dark Shadows," particularly when the guy turned into the werewolf. The original "Salem's Lot."

Movies: "The Legend of Boggy Creek," "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things"

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Movies: "The Legend of Boggy Creek,"

damn, that part where the guys on the pot and the hairy arm reaches through the screen window...maybe bigfoot was taking a dump outside and needed a few squares...or maybe he was handing the guy some lysol..we'll never know for sure.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 09:53 AM
TV: "Trilogy of Terror," the final segment with the little doll that terrorized Karen Black.

Damn! You beat me to it! Thats a classic!! That little doll freaked me out! and the look on her face at the end when she got possessed..freaky stuff.....Also....The Exorcist freaked me out alot...Halloween, the Shining and Carrie still give me creeps...Friday Fright Night ruled on channel 5 back in the day!

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
T I also remember a movie on Friday Fright Night (channel 5 in KC? ) where these giant ants were attacking. I don't remember how old I was. Probably no older than 8. That was the first time I ever stayed up late (midnight).

Or are you thinking of this movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075989/

Empire of the Ants! with Joan Collins!. A B movie classic! They used to show that alot on Friday Fright Night...

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Nightmare On Elm Street- at six years old I couldn't sleep as kid

Silence Of The Lambs- An awesome movie

Frosty
10-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Cool, They (or Them) and Bug. I may have to go rent those (or maybe check em out from the library). The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll watch them now and realize they were stupid. Movies don't look stupid when you're a kid.

No kidding.

I used to like Night Gallery when I was a kid (my dad always watched it). Seeing it as an adult, it just looked cheesy.

R&GHomer
10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
When I was around 7 or 8 Phantasm really freaked me out. Then a few years later Night Mare on Elm Street came out, and that really, really freaked me out.

Alton deFlat
10-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I always had trouble watching "The Exorcist". I still can't watch movies with lots of spiders. HATE SPIDERS! "Aracnophobia" still freaks me out. Damn things give me nightmares. Movies like "Eight Legged Freaks" are too stupid and unrealistic. They don't bother me.

Molitoth
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
The movie "Fire in the Sky"

The movie "Childs Play"

MOhillbilly
10-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Gremlins

Laugh all you want....

Mr. Laz
10-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Jaws ... was too young i think

scared the crap outa me

Wolfens ... :eek:

between this 2 movies i couldn't walk under a tree in dark and couldn't go into "dark" water for most my youth. ROFL

Calcountry
10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
There was a cheesy movie called "Arnold" that kept me from sleeping for a whole night.

ptlyon
10-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Anybody remember the movie "Gargoyles"?

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Seriously.

Braincase
10-14-2004, 11:31 AM

Oh HELL yes!

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
When I was around 7 or 8 Phantasm really freaked me out. Then a few years later Night Mare on Elm Street came out, and that really, really freaked me out.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I remember going to the drive-in and watching Phantasm and The Brood. :eek:

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Or how about Halloween?

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM

The movie "Childs Play"

Was Fire in the Sky a movie that came out about 5 years ago (maybe longer) ? Was it about an alien abduction? If that's the one, it WAS pretty damn freaky. The Childs Play movies were stupid, IMO.

Mike Grose
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I was seriously freaked out by "The Blob." Especially the old dude that got it on his arm. Something about being slowly digested alive was bad ju-ju.

That and the "Talky Tina" episode from The Twilight Zone. After offing Telly Savalas, the little doll looks at Mom and says in this little girl voice, "Hi, My name's Talky Tina... and you'd better be nice to me."

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh, and Child's Play. That scared the shit out of me.

That movie probably completely destroyed the My Buddy line.

Ghostof
10-14-2004, 12:08 PM
OMG...I totally forgot the most scariest movie.

CREEPSHOW

Remember the short story called "The Crate"

Wilma Northrup : You're hysterical Henry. It's just what I would have expected.
Henry Northrup : No, I don't think you'll expect this Wilma. No this is gonna be an entirely new experience.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 01:29 PM

CREEPSHOW

Henry Northrup : No, I don't think you'll expect this Wilma. No this is gonna be an entirely new experience.

Oh yeah, that bitch didn't know what hit her. I remember that one. :thumb:

crispystl
10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Any of you guys remember that black and white movie "omega man" I think is the title. Man that movie used to scare the hell outta me probably would still give me the creeps today.

Soupnazi
10-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Hell, f*cking yes. I'm surprised it took this many posts.

I still can't watch it.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Any of you guys remember that black and white movie "omega man" I think is the title. Man that movie used to scare the hell outta me probably would still give me the creeps today.

You mean the 70's version with Charlton Heston??

Molitoth
10-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Was Fire in the Sky a movie that came out about 5 years ago (maybe longer) ? Was it about an alien abduction? If that's the one, it WAS pretty damn freaky.

Yes, although it is much older then 5 years, im guessing about 1992. Based on a true story of those lumberjacks out in Colorado. The movie shows the dude actually waking up inside the ufo. Its pretty damn scary.

Slayer Diablo
10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
No movies, but there were about two or three episodes of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" that freaked me out...

stumppy
10-14-2004, 03:46 PM

Oh hell yea. Stayed up late, by myself when i was sbout 10yrs old and watched it. Scared the peewaddin out of me. Seen it a few years back and thought "what a cheesy movie".

For me though - The Excorsist!!!!!!!

ChiefsFanatik88
10-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Movies: "The Legend of Boggy Creek,"

damn, that part where the guys on the pot and the hairy arm reaches through the screen window...maybe bigfoot was taking a dump outside and needed a few squares...or maybe he was handing the guy some lysol..we'll never know for sure.

That must be the movie I was telling my girl's kid about. I had nightmares about cause of that movie. I am gonna have to see if it's available for rent.

crispystl
10-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah i didn't remeber heston in it but now that you mention it it was him. What was that movie about anyway it's been so long i can't remember.

Crush
10-14-2004, 05:04 PM
In the late 80's, USA Network used to show horror movies on Friday or Saturday nights. I still remember getting my first glimpse at Basketcase and that one movie where the toy trucks came to life.

Crush
10-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Not a movie, but the series "Hitchhiker" scared the living crap out of me.

kczoo
10-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Faces of Death. I couldnt handle the first one....poor monkey...

Rausch
10-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Not a movie, but the series "Hitchhiker" scared the living crap out of me.

"Tales From the Dark Side" for me.

That, and the endless "the Russians are going to kill us all" movies of the early 80's... :rolleyes:

Crush
10-14-2004, 05:49 PM
"Tales From the Dark Side" for me.

I remember the movie. To think she was going to cook that kid.

Bones
10-14-2004, 05:50 PM
For some reason Planet of the Apes used to scare the chit out of me when I was a kid.

Frazod
10-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I saw Jaws in the theater when I was 10. IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME. When Hooper was in the cage and the shark attacked him, I crawled under my seat. For months afterward I had nightmares that my matress was the raft, I'd see the fin coming, then the head would pop up and I'd wake up screaming. Later that summer we went to Florida (my first time seeing the ocean), and obviously I didn't go anywhere near the friggin water.

I still don't like to swim in any body of water where I don't know what else is in there with me. Jaws definitely f#cked me up.

DAMMIT SPIELBERG!

:cuss:

:D

Crush
10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
I saw Jaws in the theater when I was 10. IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME. When Hooper was in the cage and the shark attacked him, I crawled under my seat. For months afterward I had nightmares that my matress was the raft, I'd see the fin coming, then the head would pop up and I'd wake up screaming. Later that summer we went to Florida (my first time seeing the ocean), and obviously I didn't go anywhere near the friggin water.

I still don't like to swim in any body of water where I don't know what else is in there with me. Jaws definitely f#cked me up.

DAMMIT SPIELBERG!

Jaws scared me the first time I saw it.

However, Jaws 3 scared me because it proved that even the insane could make a movie. What a horrible, horrible movie.

Frazod
10-14-2004, 06:03 PM

It's not in black and white. I have it on DVD. Cool flick.

Frazod
10-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Jaws scared me the first time I saw it.

However, Jaws 3 scared me because it proved that even the insane could make a movie. What a horrible, horrible movie.

The second one sucked ass so bad I never bothered watching any of the rest of them.

Frazod
10-14-2004, 06:06 PM

CREEPSHOW

Good call. I remember watching that in high school and later writing a review for it in the high school newspaper. I remember bashing the movie overall (I've since warmed up to it), but praising that particular segment as one of the scariest I'd ever seen.

Crush
10-14-2004, 06:10 PM
The killer Santa vignette on the original 1960's Tales from the Crypt movie. The idea of a killer Santa still gives me the creeps.

mcan
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
1. "Poltergeist" When I was a toddler, I managed to watch a little bit of this movie. At the time, my room was decorated with clowns. I think I made it about three nights, until I came into my parents' room crying.

2. "Land of Confusion" music video. This still scares the piss out of me. No excuses, I'm just a wuss about scary puppets of political figures that look like they have M.S.

3. "The Dark Crystal" Again, scary fuggin puppets... Damn those huge eyes and... I'm not talking about this anymore.

4. "Rudolf" the cartoon that runs every year at Christmas. The cartoon itself didn't scare me, but every time they went to commercial, they showed this 'up close,' macabre, basically Hannibal Lector looking shot of Rudolf looking right at the camera. It made me run out of the room screaming every commercial break.

5. "Communion" This is a crappy movie based off of a book written by this abductee, Whitley Strieber. I don't remember much of it except that it keeps showing them damn Grey Aliens really close up and those eyes scare the hell out of me. Here's a picture of the book's cover... It's freaky looking, I'm sure you'll agree.

http://www.abduct.com/books/_bookpix/b03.jpg

Jenson71
10-14-2004, 06:30 PM
No movies, but there were about two or three episodes of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" that freaked me out...

Nice call. That was back when Nickelodeon had real shows. "Hey Dude", and "Salute Your Shorts". But "Are You Afraid of the Dark" was kick ass.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

mcan
10-14-2004, 06:47 PM

Now I know that I'm not one to talk, since I was actually scared of the Rudolf cartoon, but that show was anything but scary....

Or perhaps you were really scared of the episode where the guy was stuck inside the pinball machine in the mall... Ooooo scary!

Maybe it was the one where twins play lazer tag to train for alien battle... That one got to me...

Maybe you were really freaked out by the one where the hockey player uses a charmed hockey stick and it makes him turn into a snake and eat mice and shed his skin... Hitchcock would have been proud!

Or my personal favorite... The Tale of the Phone Police, where these vigilantes would erase the existance of anybody who misused the telephone... Frightening!

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 06:49 PM

DAMMIT SPIELBERG!

Jaws is not really scary anymore by todays standards..but its still a damn fine movie.....Brody, Hooper and Quint against that shark is damn fine entertainment!

Crush
10-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Now I know that I'm not one to talk, since I was actually scared of the Rudolf cartoon, but that show was anything but scary....

Or perhaps you were really scared of the episode where the guy was stuck inside the pinball machine in the mall... Ooooo scary!

Maybe it was the one where twins play lazer tag to train for alien battle... That one got to me...

Maybe you were really freaked out by the one where the hockey player uses a charmed hockey stick and it makes him turn into a snake and eat mice and shed his skin... Hitchcock would have been proud!

Or my personal favorite... The Tale of the Phone Police, where these vigilantes would erase the existance of anybody who misused the telephone... Frightening!

No way. The one with the clown scared me. I'm not afraid of clowns, but evil clowns are a different story.

VonneMarie
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Fright Night, Silver Bullet, IT and Polterguiest.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Halloween...the original....The music gives me the creeps.....Carrie still creeps me out with that damn Prom/pig blood scene......and of course the Exorcist gave me nightmares as a kid..and The Shining is just plain out there.....damn you Jack Nicholson!!

Honorable mention.......Trilogy of Terror: Karen Black segment with the crazy tribal doll.....freaky....

VonneMarie
10-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Fright Night, Silver Bullet, IT and Polterguiest.
In Fright Night when Amy had that big ass scary lookin' mouth scared the holy hell out of me.

It, the clown and his teeth nuff said. Silver Bullet at the end when the werewolf dies that creepy howling music plays and he's changing back to human form. (shutters)

AirForceChief
10-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Honorable mention.......Trilogy of Terror: Karen Black segment with the crazy tribal doll.....freaky....

My wife hated that made for TV flick...she was terrified of her whacked out Troll Doll after that, but too afraid to throw it away. Good flick.

AirForceChief
10-14-2004, 08:27 PM
On a more obscure note: Anyone recall the Vincent Price movies where he played the disfigured and mentally twisted Dr. Phibes? I can't find those flicks anywhere...

KcMizzou
10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
I was the oldest of 4 kids, and I used to babysit my younger siblings a lot. One night, when I was sitting, I saw one that scared the hell out of me. I don't know what the movie was called, but it seriously fugged me up...

There was this girl who was babysitting, and she kept getting prank phone calls... Some scary voice saying "Have you checked the children?". Eventually she calls the cops... they end up tracing the call, and find out it's coming from an upstairs line in the same house. Turns out the killer had murdered the kids and was trying to lure her up there.

I don't remember much more than that... but that one moment, where she found out the guy was in the house seriously spooked me.

AirForceChief
10-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I was the oldest of 4 kids, and I used to babysit my younger siblings a lot. One night, when I was sitting, I saw one that scared the hell out of me. I don't know what the movie was called, but it seriously fugged me up...

There was this girl who was babysitting, and she kept getting prank phone calls... Some scary voice saying "Have you checked the children?". Eventually she calls the cops... they end up tracing the call, and find out it's coming from an upstairs line in the same house. Turns out the killer had murdered the kids and was trying to lure her up there.

I don't remember much more than that... but that one moment, where she found out the guy was in the house seriously spooked me.

Believe that one's "When A Stranger Calls." Good flick.

Crush
10-14-2004, 09:57 PM
The Fly (80's version) also freaked me out back in the day.

J Diddy
10-14-2004, 10:13 PM
1. "Poltergeist" When I was a toddler, I managed to watch a little bit of this movie. At the time, my room was decorated with clowns. I think I made it about three nights, until I came into my parents' room crying.

2. "Land of Confusion" music video. This still scares the piss out of me. No excuses, I'm just a wuss about scary puppets of political figures that look like they have M.S.

3. "The Dark Crystal" Again, scary fuggin puppets... Damn those huge eyes and... I'm not talking about this anymore.

4. "Rudolf" the cartoon that runs every year at Christmas. The cartoon itself didn't scare me, but every time they went to commercial, they showed this 'up close,' macabre, basically Hannibal Lector looking shot of Rudolf looking right at the camera. It made me run out of the room screaming every commercial break.

5. "Communion" This is a crappy movie based off of a book written by this abductee, Whitley Strieber. I don't remember much of it except that it keeps showing them damn Grey Aliens really close up and those eyes scare the hell out of me. Here's a picture of the book's cover... It's freaky looking, I'm sure you'll agree.

http://www.abduct.com/books/_bookpix/b03.jpg

Rudolf scared you, and the puppets off the dark crystal.

This is (. x. )(. x. )(. x. )(. x. )ing hilarious.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Believe that one's "When A Stranger Calls." Good flick.

Yep......When a Stanger Calls...a bona fide classic..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080130/

Crush
10-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Yep......When a Stanger Calls...a bona fide classic..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080130/

Not the sequel, though. When a Stranger Calls Back.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108556/

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Not the sequel, though. When a Stranger Calls Back.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108556/

hahah..yeah....I fogot about that one......Pretty much the whole opening scene of the movie "Scream" was ripped off from When a Stranger Calls opening scene....

BigOlChiefsfan
10-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Movies don't usually scare me, but the dental scene in 'Marathon Man' gave me a twinge or 3.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Anyone ever seen this one by Dario Agento? Hes an Italian filmaker...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/

Susperia......its pretty freakin out there! Just weird...

ChiefJustice
10-14-2004, 10:35 PM
American Werewolf in London-That movie creeped me out for two
reasons.

The frequent appearances by the spirit of Naughton's dead friend (Griffin Dunne), who had also been mangled by the werewolf. With each appearance, he looks more and more decomposed.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/americanwerewolf.jpg

Another stand-out scene is a nightmare sequence where Naughton sees his entire Jewish family being gunned down by monster Nazis.It's a terrifying moment, which would have been ruined had it been put in a film today: CGI effects would have destroyed the impact. Truth is, no studio would ever allow such a scene to put into a movie today. It just wouldn't happen.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/americanwerewolf2.jpg

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Another stand-out scene is a nightmare sequence where Naughton sees his entire Jewish family being gunned down by monster Nazis.It's a terrifying moment, which would have been ruined had it been put in a film today: CGI effects would have destroyed the impact. Truth is, no studio would ever allow such a scene to put into a movie today. It just wouldn't happen.

Agreed..that scene is a classic...great flick...

Crush
10-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Phantasm = scary

Phantasm II = kinda of scary

Phantasm III = You're kidding, right?

Phantasm IV = This is just sad.

Miles
10-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone ever seen this one by Dario Agento? Hes an Italian filmaker...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/

Susperia......its pretty freakin out there! Just weird...

Yeah i finally got around to seeing Susperia a little while back. It had some really great moments but i though it got a tad lame towards the end. But overall as you said pretty messed up.

BTW IFC is showing a few of Agento (including Susperia) and Mario Bava (never seen any of his) films on the 30th and 31'st.

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/whatson?CAT0=45&MO=10&DA=30&YR=2004&TZ=ET&TB=4&DW=0&CLR=blue&BCLR=00A8EC

Crush
10-14-2004, 10:42 PM
How about the original Nightmare on Elm Street?

Jenny Gump
10-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Two words: Salem's Lot.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah i finally got around to seeing Susperia a little while back. It had some really great moments but i though it got a tad lame towards the end. But overall as you said pretty messed up.

BTW IFC is showing a few of Agento (including Susperia) and Mario Bava (never seen any of his) films on the 30th and 31'st.

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/whatson?CAT0=45&MO=10&DA=30&YR=2004&TZ=ET&TB=4&DW=0&CLR=blue&BCLR=00A8EC

Wow.....thanks! I love IFC...

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 10:46 PM
How about these 2 classics from the early 70's

Black Christmas starring a young Margot Kidder

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

and Last House on the Left....early Wes Craven

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068833/

Crush
10-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Goulies

I can forgive the fact that the ghoulies were not part of the main plot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089200/

Frazod
10-14-2004, 11:01 PM
American Werewolf in London-That movie creeped me out for two
reasons.

The frequent appearances by the spirit of Naughton's dead friend (Griffin Dunne), who had also been mangled by the werewolf. With each appearance, he looks more and more decomposed.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/americanwerewolf.jpg

http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/americanwerewolf2.jpg

Great movie - I saw it in the theater twice in high school. The second time I saw it with two girls, who were both scared shitless and practically draped all over me for a large part of it (while all my friends were sitting two rows behind me with no dates). Of course, since I'd already seen it, I didn't even flinch - except to occasionally look over my shoulder and mock my dateless buddies.

:evil:

That was one of the cooler nights of my life. :thumb:

Crush
10-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Goulies

I can forgive the fact that the ghoulies were not part of the main plot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089200/

I know Ghoulies wasn't scary, but still a cool b-movie. The opening scene to Twilight Zone: The Movie was pretty scary. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086491/

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 11:03 PM
This one gets my vote for the sickest movie of all time..i watched it once when i was a kid...it scarred me for life....Who makes this crap??

I spit on your Grave..
Its basically an hour and a half of a chick getting raped

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077713/

Redcoats58
10-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Magic
The Exorcist
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
HellRaiser

TheNextStep
10-15-2004, 01:20 AM
When I was a kid, I convinced my Dad that I was too old enough to go with him and his buddy to the theater to see a showing of the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

Turns out, I was not yet old enough, as that movie f***ed me up for a good while...

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:19 AM
Nice call. That was back when Nickelodeon had real shows. "Hey Dude", and "Salute Your Shorts". But "Are You Afraid of the Dark" was kick ass.

Wes Craven's New NightmareHeh. Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts ruled. I liked Pete & Pete and Welcome, Freshmen, too.

And yeah, AYAOTD freaked my shit out, as well. Remember that episode with Zebo the clown coming to kill some guy because he stole his nose? And there was one with a gremlin or something inside a camera, I think. The glasses that showed you the people in the other dimension...

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:27 AM
The Fly (80's version) also freaked me out back in the day.Nasty.

Kraut
10-15-2004, 03:55 AM
The Oman

Crush
10-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Hellraiser

Frosty
10-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Another movie that wasn't scary, per se, but had a lot of edge-of-your-seat tension was The Thing.

Crush
10-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Stephen King's IT

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 02:21 PM

Those were some cool ones, but they had two--and only two--episodes that had the scene set so well that they freaked me out. The first was the hotel where the old woman had died and the kids were told to never go near her old room...they ended up going in and she started do'n some stalker-ghost stuff. The other episode was the kid that came to the house every night and just kept repeating "I'm cold."

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:23 PM
The Oman
The Omen? LOL

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Heh. Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts ruled. I liked Pete & Pete and Welcome, Freshmen, too.

And yeah, AYAOTD freaked my shit out, as well. Remember that episode with Zebo the clown coming to kill some guy because he stole his nose? And there was one with a gremlin or something inside a camera, I think. The glasses that showed you the people in the other dimension...

What was "Welcome, Freshmen" about again? I barely remember it...

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Prom Night was pretty scary too.

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 02:37 PM
What was "Welcome, Freshmen" about again? I barely remember it...

Yeah, I don't remember that at all.

Melody (Christine Taylor) on Hey Dude was my first love...

Pete and Pete was another great show, but seemed completely different than everything else.

Crush
10-15-2004, 02:43 PM
http://www.johnnorrisbrown.com/classic-nick/welcomefreshman/index.htm

Welcome Freshman was a high school comedy show about a group of freshman. These freshman included the dense Walter, the nerdy Merv, the cocky Kevin, the sweet Tara, the popular Alex, plus their wierd principal Mr. Lippman, who always dreamed of being a comedian. All in all, it was an interesting show.

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 02:43 PM
I had a cousin who watched Clarissa Explains it All way too much. And there was Alex Mac? The Secret Files of Alex Mac? Something like that. That girl was hot.

Um, All That. Keenan and Kel. Now that one guy is on Saturday Night Live.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Secret World of Alex Mack, IIRC.

I'll admit it. I liked Kenan and Kel. I did, I did, I diiiii-id.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:46 PM
I had a cousin who watched Clarissa Explains it All way too much. And there was Alex Mac? The Secret Files of Alex Mac? Something like that. That girl was hot.

Um, All That. Keenan and Kel. Now that one guy is on Saturday Night Live.
I used to watch My Brother and Me and Are you Afraid of the Dark.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Heh... My Brother and Me.

What was the fat kid's name? Goo?

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I used to love "Tales from the Dark Side"

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Heh... My Brother and Me.

What was the fat kid's name? Goo?
Yep and Alfey.

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 02:51 PM
I never really liked the game shows - except one. And I have no idea what it was called.

People were on teams. Like "The Baracuddas" and then they would answer questions. At the end was this big obstacle course race where you needed to match up three parts of a golden thing. That might be all too vague, but anyone else remember that show?

Lzen
10-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes, although it is much older then 5 years, im guessing about 1992. Based on a true story of those lumberjacks out in Colorado. The movie shows the dude actually waking up inside the ufo. Its pretty damn scary.

Apparently, it came out it 1993. Heh, I guess time just flies by when you get older. :shake: That last 10 minutes where he wakes up inside the alien ship freaked me out.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:52 PM
I never really liked the game shows - except one. And I have no idea what it was called.

People were on teams. Like "The Baracuddas" and then they would answer questions. At the end was this big obstacle course race where you needed to match up three parts of a golden thing. That might be all too vague, but anyone else remember that show?
Legends of The Hidden Temple?!?

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Yep and Alfey.Didn't they meet Kendall Gill at a card show once?

PunkinDrublic
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I can't remember if it was creepshow or creepshowII but it was the story about the oil slick looking blob in the lake that sucked people in and skinned them alive. The blob had the campers stranded on this dock in the swimming area in the middle of the lake and one by one sucks them in. Anyway at camp that summer I was scared to swim out to the dock in the lake. I stepped in moss a couple of times and just pissed my swim trunks. Man my folks must have thought I was such a pussy.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Legends of The Hidden Temple?!?I think that was it. I remember the obstacle course being really hard, but it was easily the coolest part of the show.

VonneMarie
Didn't they meet Kendall Gill at a card show once?
Yep!

Slayer Diablo
Secret World of Alex Mack, IIRC.

I'll admit it. I liked Kenan and Kel. I did, I did, I diiiii-id.

Secret World of Alex Mac was decent for the first couple seasons, but crashed in about the third...I can't believe it lasted as long as it did.

Kenan and Kel was alright, but they went sour the year after "All That" took a turn for the worse.

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Legends of The Hidden Temple?!?

I think so. :thumb:

I can't forget Doug too. I think most 21st century philosphers would agree that everything needed to know in life can be learned from watching Doug.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:56 PM
I think that was it.
I liked that game show and Gutz. Remember Salute Your Shorts?

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I liked that game show and Gutz. Remember Salute Your Shorts?
And Wild and Crazy Kids...

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I just looked it up. There was a "The Secret World of Alex Mac" and there was also a "The Mystery Files of Shelby Wo"

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 02:59 PM

Yeah, Legends of the Hidden Temple was cool...but ya gotta admit that GUTS and the original Double Dare were pretty good.

Jenson71
Damn, those really were the good ol days. Life was simple then.

Ultra Peanut
I liked that game show and Gutz. Remember Salute Your Shorts?Guts... ROFL

Mike O'Malley before he filled such roles as The Rick (highlight of his career) and "Cast Member on Cancelled Sitcom Guy." The voiceover lady (she was English) was Moira Kirk, or something like that.

I can't forget Doug too. I think most 21st century philosphers would agree that everything needed to know in life can be learned from watching Doug.Oh, we're getting into the cartoons now? Doug rocked, before Disney snatched it and pussyfied it. Rocko's Modern Life was a favorite.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Yeah, Legends of the Hidden Temple was cool...but ya gotta admit that GUTS and the original Double Dare were pretty good.I was a Double Dare fanatic when I was five. I used to make my sister build physical challenge courses for me.

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
And Wild and Crazy Kids...

Yuck...I was always bored on Saturday afternoons because of that show.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Those were the days.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:02 PM
I hated Wild & Crazy Kids.

I liked Omar, though.

VonneMarie
Yuck...I was always bored on Saturday afternoons because of that show.
OMG that show was good. I wanted to be on that show so bad...

Jenson71
Guts... ROFL

Mike O'Malley before he filled such roles as The Rick (highlight of his career) and "Cast Member on Cancelled Sitcom Guy." The voiceover lady (she was English) was Moira Kirk, or something like that.

"Yes Dear".

Doug was a cartoon, but it wasn't cartoonish. If that makes sense...

Lzen
10-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Phantasm = scary

Phantasm II = kinda of scary

Phantasm III = You're kidding, right?

Phantasm IV = This is just sad.

I didn't realize they made more than one. I'll have to go rent Phantasm. :thumb:

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:04 PM
You guys remember Stick in the afternoons? You know, Stick Stickly?

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Guts... ROFL

Oh, we're getting into the cartoons now? Doug rocked, before Disney snatched it and pussyfied it. Rocko's Modern Life was a favorite.

Rocko? That was a hoot! It's good to know that they usually show the Halloween and Thanksgiving specials of Rocko's Modern Life.

Remember AHHH! Real Monsters? BEST CARTOON EVER!!!

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 03:05 PM
ROFL

How bout Nick News? I hated that. And that old lady freaked me out.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM
"Yes Dear".I knew I was forgetting something. I don't watch it, but when I see an ad for it with him in it I'm like, "Way to go, Mike!"

Doug was a cartoon, but it wasn't cartoonish. If that makes sense...That was the great thing about it. It rang true.

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM

Yeah, too bad he was ruined with the introduction of that other stick person...

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Remember AHHH! Real Monsters? BEST CARTOON EVER!!!

Too new-age for me. My younger brother liked it. I was getting out of Nick by then.

Ultra Peanut
How bout Nick News? I hated that. And that old lady freaked me out.Linda Ellerby is a minion of Satan.

Slayer Diablo
ROFL

How bout Nick News? I hated that. And that old lady freaked me out.

Did that show even have fans, or was everyone just paid to say that?

VonneMarie
I remember Round House.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Linda Ellerby is a minion of Satan.
ROFL I hated her.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I remember Round House.OH MY GOD.

Dreadlocker. That's all I can really remember.

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 03:09 PM
It was like 60 Minutes 3: Kid's Edition.

WTF is that? We just want more ooze and Doug morons.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
OH MY GOD.

Dreadlocker. That's all I can really remember.
That was the stupid version of SNL for preteens.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
The people who thought Nick News was a great idea are the people running Nick at Nite into the ground today.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Nick news was a complete waste of a time slot.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
That was the stupid version of SNL for preteens.Seriously. That must be the most obscure long-gone Nickelodeon live-action show out there; even more obscure than Welcome, Freshmen. It's one of those cases where the Langoliers just decided to chew up the past and nearly all of the memories of it.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Seriously. That must be the most obscure long-gone Nickelodeon live-action show out there; even more obscure than Welcome, Freshmen. It's one of those cases where the Langoliers just decided to chew up the past and nearly all of the memories of it.
LOL

Didn't it last a season or two?

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
The people who thought Nick News was a great idea are the people running Nick at Nite into the ground today.

Yeah, they're probably the same people who decided to make a version of the Rugrats as middleschoolers....

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:19 PM
LOL

Didn't it last a season or two?

Roundhouse:
First Aired August 1992
Last Aired January 1996
Status Canceled/Ended
Running Time 30 min
Country United States
Network Nickelodeon

And what happened to the crewmembers after the show was cancelled?

Bryan Anthony - Himself (Season 4)
Alfred Carr, Jr. - Himself
Jennifer Cihi - Herself (Seasons 3)
John Crane - Himself
Mark David - Himself
Shawn Daywalt - Herself
Ivan Dudynsky - Himself
Micki Duran - Herself
Amy Ehrlich - Herself (Season 3)
Seymour Willis Green - Himself
Crystal Lewis - Herself (Season 1)
Dominic Lucero - Himself (Season 1)
Shawn Muņoz - Himself (Season 3)
David Nicoll - Himself (Season 4)
Natalie Nucci - Herself
Natasha Pearce - Herself (Season 4)
Julene Renee - Herself
David Sidoni - Himself
Lisa Vale - Herself (Season 2)

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Rugrats All Growed Up special was tight. They went to far making it into a series...

munkey
10-15-2004, 03:20 PM
That must be the movie I was telling my girl's kid about. I had nightmares about cause of that movie. I am gonna have to see if it's available for rent.

Don't do it....

You'll feel like a total putz for being scared of that one.

~At least that's how I felt~

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Roundhouse:
First Aired August 1992
Last Aired January 1996
Status Canceled/Ended
Running Time 30 min
Country United States
Network Nickelodeon

And what happened to the crewmembers after the show was cancelled?

Bryan Anthony - Himself (Season 4)
Alfred Carr, Jr. - Himself
Jennifer Cihi - Herself (Seasons 3)
John Crane - Himself
Mark David - Himself
Shawn Daywalt - Herself
Ivan Dudynsky - Himself
Micki Duran - Herself
Amy Ehrlich - Herself (Season 3)
Seymour Willis Green - Himself
Crystal Lewis - Herself (Season 1)
Dominic Lucero - Himself (Season 1)
Shawn Muņoz - Himself (Season 3)
David Nicoll - Himself (Season 4)
Natalie Nucci - Herself
Natasha Pearce - Herself (Season 4)
Julene Renee - Herself
David Sidoni - Himself
Lisa Vale - Herself (Season 2)

Dang... that torture lasted longer then I thought.

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Geez, only on CP can a thread be so hijacked that it goes from "the scariest TV shows/movies" to talking about Roundhouse and the Rugrats.

Ghostof
10-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh yeah, and who could forget this one:

PIRAHNA!

remember that movie? after watching that and going swimming in my friends lake, I damn near lost it when I seen a school of bluegill swimming around the dock we were on.

Flesh eating fish + stupid people = cinematic comedy gold

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah, and who could forget this one:

PIRAHNA!

remember that movie? after watching that and going swimming in my friends lake, I damn near lost it when I seen a school of bluegill swimming around the dock we were on.

Flesh eating fish + stupid people = cinematic comedy gold Not nearly as entertaining as Pirahna 2 where... they grew wings and learned to fly. :spock:

Ghostof
10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
LOL< what? there was a part 2??

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
LOL< what? there was a part 2?? Yep, and I wasn't kidding about the flying part either.

b-squared
10-15-2004, 04:20 PM
The Birds, hands down. bbbrrrrrrr, I still get shivers thinking about it and the nightmares it caused later that same night. I watched it again about 5 years ago, and I still thought it was creepy!

bdb

munkey
10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Anyone remember that rat movie in the 70's....can't remember the name of it.

b-squared
10-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Willard

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Not nearly as entertaining as Pirahna 2 where... they grew wings and learned to fly. :spock:

hahah..James Camerons directorial debut.......IM sure hed like to bury that one..

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Anyone remember that rat movie in the 70's....can't remember the name of it.

Or do you mean "Food of the Gods" ? A B movie classic..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074540/

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Anyone remember that rat movie in the 70's....can't remember the name of it. Ben?

Starring a young (and still black) Michael Jackson.

http://www.michaeljackson.hu/mj_base/pictures/addons/cover_Ben.jpg

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 04:52 PM
The Blob (both versions)

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Ben?

"Ben" was the sequel to "Wiliard" BTW....anyone ever seen the remake with Crispin Glover? Pretty much the weirdest actor ever..

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Ben?

I remember listening to a friend play the original music to that...I don't think I'll ever be able to go see that movie.

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 07:28 PM
I remember listening to a friend play the original music to that...I don't think I'll ever be able to go see that movie.

Then by all means, this is for you:

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's one thing you should know
You've got a place to go
(you've got a place to go)

I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
Ben, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben

All the more creepy if you keep in mind this is Michael's seranade to a rat...oh, the innocence of the pre-Monkey child molestation days!!

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 08:12 PM

I'll never be alone

If you ever look behind
You've got a place to go

I wish they would try to
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben

All the more creepy if you keep in mind this is Michael's seranade to a rat...oh, the innocence of the pre-Monkey child molestation days!!

ROFL ROFL

Thanks for the lyrics, I had never so much as seen them before; just the music from the original (which, IIRC, had been a play, not a movie) on piano.

Crush
10-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Pet Sematary

whoman69
10-15-2004, 09:22 PM

I'll never be alone

If you ever look behind
You've got a place to go

I wish they would try to
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben

That was the first album I ever bought. Man, I was stupid back then.

I can't believe noone has mentioned Dark Shadows. Everytime Barnabus Collins came out I had to hide behind the couch.

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:26 PM
I'll tell you what scares me. Shit like "America's Top Model" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and, like, every reality show ever on TV. That scares the f*ck out of me. Well, that and the fact that people actually watch that bullshit.

Oh, and I think the braindead news channels are scary, too. "If Democrat, watch CNN; if Republican, watch Fox News; then proceed to talk shit about anyone watching any channel other than yours".

Scary.

Oh, and Lifetime. Or, its proper name, "The Men Suck Channel".

Slayer Diablo
10-15-2004, 09:31 PM
I'll tell you what scares me. Shit like "America's Top Model" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and, like, every reality show ever on TV. That scares the f*ck out of me. Well, that and the fact that people actually watch that bullshit.

Oh, and I think the braindead news channels are scary, too. "If Democrat, watch CNN; if Republican, watch Fox News; then proceed to talk shit about anyone watching any channel other than yours".

Scary.

Oh, and Lifetime. Or, its proper name, "The Men Suck Channel".

:spock: That's not Lifetime's proper name... I don't know if you watch Family Guy or not, but they show the proper name of Lifetime. It's "Television for Idiots".

BTW, have you finished the Dark Tower 7?

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:31 PM
BTW, have you finished the Dark Tower 7?About a month ago.

Frazod
10-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Pet Sematary

The book is much better (and scarier). The movie really butchered the most frightening parts.

Frazod
10-15-2004, 09:37 PM
About a month ago.

I read the first three and then crapped out on the fourth one (sort of like the original Dune series). Just too much bullshit in the way of the story.

Stephen King just cries out for a good editor, but now he's too much of a force to have to put up with that. And that's a shame. :shake:

keg in kc
I finally got around to reading Salem's Lot. Loved that. Going to read The Shining next.

(I got a nice hardcover anthology, Salem's Lot, The Shining and Carrie (which I doubt I'll read) for something like $19...)

AirForceChief
The book is much better (and scarier). The movie really butchered the most frightening parts.

Agree, completely...that whole losing a child thing...ouch...especially if you blame yourself...I'd be climbing a water tower, rifle in tow :shake:

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 09:38 PM

this dude freaked me out though!

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I read the first three and then crapped out on the fourth one (sort of like the original Dune series). Just too much bullshit in the way of the story.

Stephen King just cries out for a good editor, but now he's too much of a force to have to put up with that. And that's a shame. :shake:

I couldn't make it through number three, and, scary enough, I agree with your take on this post as well... :shrug:

Frazod
10-15-2004, 09:39 PM

Yeah, they did a good job with him.

The movie wasn't bad - it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the book.

VonneMarie
10-15-2004, 09:40 PM
I have to agree with your Cardinal loving ass.

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 09:40 PM

I know exactly what your talking about, I'm not a big fan of the comb over, either!

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Agree, completely...that whole losing a child thing...ouch...especially if you blame yourself...I'd be climbing a water tower, rifle in tow :shake:

Yea...that part where the kid got ran over by the truck was pretty horrific......i couldnt deal with that...

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:44 PM
I read the first three and then crapped out on the fourth one (sort of like the original Dune series). Just too much bullshit in the way of the story.I'm about to read the original Dune series again. I just finished the 6 prequels. I really didn't like the last two (Machine Crusade and Battle of Corrin). Now that I've read all of them, I've come to the conclusion that Anderson/Herbert's work is a pale shadow of the elder Herbert's, and that the only thing the prequel books have going for them is the interest drawn from seeing familiar places and names from the original series. Although I did think the three House... books were decent, at least.Stephen King just cries out for a good editor, but now he's too much of a force to have to put up with that. And that's a shame. :shake:There's two sides to that coin, I think. Some of his early works (namely The Stand) had some really good material edited out (which was lated added back in). But I'd agree that some of his more recent works had some not so good material in that needed to be edited out. I didn't really feel that way about the Tower Series until the final two volumes, however, which was remarkable about the sixth (to me) because it was so short.

The 7th, which I liked and was sad to see end, had some WTF sections that just seemed to drag on.

In any case, I wouldn't argue that he occasionally suffers from bouts of diarrhea of the pen.

Crush
10-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Although recently new, The Last Broadcast freaked me out. Warning: The ending sucks and ruins the entire movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122143/

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:47 PM
By the way, I probably should have mentioned that, in the context of this discussion about extended material and so forth, I'm probably a little to the left of normal. I love long books.

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Although recently new, The Last Broadcast freaked me out. Warning: The ending sucks and ruins the entire movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122143/

I agree, they had that whole Jersey Devil thing going...then pull that stupid shite at the very, very end... :cuss:

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree, they had that whole Jersey Devil thing going...then pull that stupid shite at the very, very end... :cuss:

thats simliar to the Blair Witch Project right?? which was overrated btw....

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 09:51 PM

Yup, very similar...part of the big "is it a movie or documentary?" thing everybody copied.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Yup, very similar...part of the big "is it a movie or documentary?" thing everybody copied.

They marketed that movie..Blair Witch, perfectly.......it was an internet sensation.....the movie could have never lived up to the hype.

Crush
10-15-2004, 09:53 PM

Yeah, there's still some legal mumbo jumbo floating around as the makers of The Last Broadcast accused the makers of Blair Witch of stealing the central premise and cashing in on it.

Frazod
10-15-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm about to read the original Dune series again. I just finished the 6 prequels. I really didn't like the last two (Machine Crusade and Battle of Corrin). Now that I've read all of them, I've come to the conclusion that Anderson/Herbert's work is a pale shadow of the elder Herbert's, and that the only thing the prequel books have going for them is the interest drawn from seeing familiar places and names from the original series. Although I did think the three House... books were decent, at least.

I really enjoyed all six, although I did like the House series a bit better.

As for the originals, Dune is my favorite book ever - the second and third one started going downhill, and I was never able to finish God Emperor, which I thought really sucked. After all the original characters were gone, I just didn't care anymore.

AirForceChief
10-15-2004, 09:57 PM
I really enjoyed all six, although I did like the House series a bit better.

As for the originals, Dune is my favorite book ever - the second and third one started going downhill, and I was never able to finish God Emperor, which I thought really sucked. After all the original characters were gone, I just didn't care anymore.

Exactly, you had so much invested in Paul and Co., once they were gone...

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I really enjoyed all six, although I did like the House series a bit better.This was my second time reading the House series. I thought they were markedly better than the newer trilogy. I guess that, overall, I thought they (meaning the newer group) were poorly written, both in terms of style and storyline/plot. The only word that comes to mind right now is "amateurish". It almost felt like they were going through the motions for a paycheck, especially the last one. Not that they don't have a right to do that; I'd certainly look to bank on the "Dune" name if I were in that position. Anyway, there was no finesse, nothing particularly notable or interesting and the characters were basically cookie-cutter. They almost came seemed like they were written for teenagers or kids, with the exception of the occasional obligatory sex/violence. Now, I'd freely admit that part of that may be my tastes changing, but, really, I didn't feel any of the wonder or magic that I associate with Dune. Again, familiar names, planets, technology, and so forth, but no...heart. There was no meat to it. At least that's how I felt while I was reading it. I had a hard time getting through the last one, and I was particularly disappointed with the final hundred pages or so. I mean, the book was entitled the Battle of Corrin, but the battle itself took forever to begin, and when it did it was pretty underwhelming.

I'm going to reserve comment on the original six books until I finish reading them again....

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm finally getting around to reading Whitley Strieber's Communion now. What a bizarre book.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm finally getting around to reading Whitley Strieber's Communion now. What a bizarre book.

and a weird film...Christopher Walken creeps me out sometimes.....

Crush
10-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Behold the power of Walken.

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 10:15 PM
I think i've seen the film, but I can't remember anything about it.

Taco Bell
10-15-2004, 10:21 PM
TV: Dracula movies

Movies: Jaws, Exorcist, Rosemarie's Baby

Jenson71
10-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Rosemary's Baby is the horror movie without any horror. It's a real classic though. The only real creepy part is the devil having sex with her.

Crush
10-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Troll wasn't scary, just weird.

Troll 2 was incredibly stupid. I mean who in the hell writes a script for Troll 2 and REPLACE the trolls with goblins? Nilbog, anyone? The popcorn scene has to be the stupidest death scene in horror movie history.

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 11:05 PM
and a weird film...Christopher Walken creeps me out sometimes..... Walken is awesome.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Walken is awesome.

Agreed.any movie he appears in...it automatically gets 2 more stars...

KcMizzou
10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
I finally got around to reading Salem's Lot. Loved that. Going to read The Shining next. Classic Stephen King is the best... If you can, get "The Bachman Books" It's a collection of four novels he wrote under the pen-name Richard Bachman. He agreed to pull "The Rage" from the shelves after columbine. (It was about a school shooting), But my favorite was "The Long Walk".

Crush
10-15-2004, 11:12 PM

No movie, no matter how bad it is, can screw up Walken.

RedNFeisty
10-16-2004, 12:00 AM
The Shining, still do not watch it.

Miles
10-16-2004, 01:09 AM

Yeah he is badass...Just finished watching a really good Walken movie on IFC, The Funeral. They had King of New York on last week which is another Walken classic.

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah he is badass...Just finished watching a really good Walken movie on IFC, The Funeral. They had King of New York on last week which is another Walken classic.

Yea..id have never seen King of New York until a month or so ago.one of those movies I had always wanted to see but never had...it was great. of course Walken was tha man!

Bowser
10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
The Shining, still do not watch it.

I'm not gonna hurt you! I'm just gonna bash your brains in! I'm gonna bash them right the f*ck in!

ROFL CLASSIC flick!

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm not gonna hurt you! I'm just gonna bash your brains in! I'm gonna bash them right the f*ck in!

ROFL CLASSIC flick!

great flick...Kubrick is the master. I dont care what Stephen King thinks...the movie version is way better than his "official" made for TV miniseries....

Bowser
10-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Here we are 15 pages in on this thread, and nobody has mentioned the original Alien. I was ten or eleven when I first saw that movie, and it about did me in! That's too much suspense for a pre-teen!

Phantasm has been mentioned a few times, and I must concur with that selection. That flying ball was wicked back then.

Another I saw in the mid '80s was John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. It was a story of how mirrors act as doorways into hell, or some other bad place, and the prince of that realm was trying to make it to our world. The scene in that flick that freaked me out is where the characters would fall asleep and have "dreams" sent to them by people in the future showing what was coming. There is a scene that is shown by a shaky hand held video recorder as people are walking around a church to show the Prince of Darkness as he walks out of the church. People are talking in the background, but you can never quite hear them. Just as the camera begins to focus in, the people wake up. BONUS: Alice Cooper plays a homeless guy that turns into a zombie!

Biggest bust of a horror flick: Blair Witch Project. Had a ton of potential, but the ending just sucked. Heard the second one is actually quite good, but never saw it.

VonneMarie
10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Can Chucky get no love?

DanT
10-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I thought Helter Skelter was a scary movie. That was about the Charles Manson cult. The scariest TV show was Land of the Lost, which was a Saturday morning show about a family that got lost while rafting and dropped through a wormhole into a world with horrendous special effects that they tried to escape from by cheesy acting that they hoped would get their ratings low enough to cancel the show and, therefore, the plotline. However, the scariest character in the history of Saturday morning television, other than that old pedophile that used to drive Shazam around the desert in his Winnebago, was determined to keep them in the lost world of horrendous special effects. Chaka was his name. When the family first encountered him, a boy in a monkey suit, they thought that he might join them, human-to-human, in their quest. He did, but he never deigned to get out of the monkey suit or to speak English. Instead, he would just grunt a lot. That used to puzzle the hell out of me. It was like he was mocking everyone.

DanT
10-16-2004, 03:37 PM
http://www.landofthelost.com/cast.htm

Here's Chaka:
http://www.landofthelost.com/images/chaka.jpg

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.landofthelost.com/cast.htm

Here's Chaka:
http://www.landofthelost.com/images/chaka.jpg

Where are the Sleestack pics?

DanT
10-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Where are the Sleestack pics?

http://www.landofthelost.com/pictures.htm

Mr Grimm
10-16-2004, 04:57 PM
When i was a kid.

Gremlins scaredthe SHART out of me!

(waiting for the endless youngin' cracks)

E@SHSU
10-16-2004, 05:51 PM
It scared the hell out of me as a kid.

I think that Poltergeist was the scariest movie I have ever seen. It terrified me as a child and still gives me the shivers now. When Carol Ann gets sucked into the closet I can remember screaming.

Arachnaphobia freaks me out because I don't like spiders.

Movies like the Stand scare me now.

And the embarassing movie that scared me was ET. I was very, very young when I saw it and it terrified me.

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 06:20 PM
It scared the hell out of me as a kid.

I think that Poltergeist was the scariest movie I have ever seen. It terrified me as a child and still gives me the shivers now. When Carol Ann gets sucked into the closet I can remember screaming.

Arachnaphobia freaks me out because I don't like spiders.

Movies like the Stand scare me now.

And the embarassing movie that scared me was ET. I was very, very young when I saw it and it terrified me.

Yea..Poltergeist was pretty freaky back in tha day..good flick.

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre version 2003 is on Starz freeview right night..pretty freaky shit...