PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid: Dealing with the media

KingPriest2
10-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Having a healthy relationship with the media

By Andy Reid
Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 14, 2004) -- When I was hired as the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999, I understood that one of the roles was to meet the media on a regular basis and to have a good relationship with them. I have been with this media into my sixth year now and I like and respect the job they do.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Fantasy Football

Run your own Fantasy League or join one today!
It is a very hard job to be a member of the media. Philadelphia is a very competitive field, so I understand where they are coming from.

I do not know what kind of reputation the Philadelphia media has nationally, but I have found them to be a group that generally shoots you straight. If you are doing well, they normally give you a pat on the back. If not, they let you know it. And I am fine with that.

Back in 1999 the media was tough. They had high expectations and were not quite sure what I was all about. They were going to beat me up a little bit to feel me out. It was part of the growing process we all had together.

When you are a head coach in the National Football League, having a good relationship with the media is one of your biggest challenges because it is not part of being the football coach. It is a separate identity. A coach is not trained to work with the media. You are trained to coach football players, so you have to go out and learn the process and learn the ropes.

Andy Reid's successful teams and his attitude have made him a media favorite in Philly.
There is a balance you have to create between the locker room and the media. You want to make sure you shoot the media straight, but you also want to make sure you shoot the players straight. Striking that balance is very critical. If you are telling the media one thing and telling the players something else, that can be an unhealthy situation.

I will never hang a player out to the media. It doesn't do any good. It is one of my philosophies in life, whether it is football or not. If I have a problem with somebody, I deal with that problem face to face. I will not change that approach whether it is my son, somebody in the organization, a player or a member of the media. If I have a problem, I am going to talk to you and try to get an answer.

My approach during a press conference is very business like. This is the media's business, their livelihood. It is not the Gong Show. Come into a press conference with a story for the media, however small it might be. Give it to them and give them an opportunity to ask questions. I do not turn their questions into a joke. I answer them to the best of my ability. They have deadlines to meet. They are not there to mess around.

The media has changed since I became the head coach here. There is so much -- the Internet, all of the radio stations and the television coverage. I understand that I need a coach to help me with the media, to deal with the enormous volume of stories that are out there. That is where Derek Boyko, our director of media relations, comes in. He gives me a heads up on everything that is out there. I am normally not surprised when I go into the many different media obligations. I know the stories that are out there. I know what people are saying and I have a general idea of what kind of questions might be asked.

Dealing with the media is an important part of my job and I will always respect that.

J Diddy
10-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Okay, cool, um, but who cares?