PDA

View Full Version : Oops. FCC won’t prevent airing of anti-Kerry film, chairman says.

Radar Chief
10-14-2004, 12:31 PM
http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=2430593

FCC won’t prevent airing of anti-Kerry film, chairman says.
WASHINGTON The F-C-C won't stop Sinclair Broadcast Group from airing a critical documentary about John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities.
Sinclair has asked its 62 television stations to pre-empt regular programming to run the documentary two weeks before the November second election.
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell says he knows of no precedent that would allow the commission to block the airing of a program. He says it would be an "absolute disservice to the First Amendment" to intervene.
Eighteen Democratic senators have asked Powell to investigate the Sinclair group's plan to run the program "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal."
Powell says he'll consider their concerns but he's not sure they will amount to a formal complaint that would require an investigation. F-C-C rules require that a program air before a formal complaint can be considered.

KCTitus
10-14-2004, 12:35 PM
He says it would be an "absolute disservice to the First Amendment" to intervene.

such a no brainer...anyone who wants this blocked is against the first ammendment.

That's right, I said it.

Jenson17
10-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Prior restraint is a difficult legal standard to hurdle....

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
oops, Mark Hyman was on CNBC last night and told Gloria Borger that it was not likely they would air the documentary in total but would air clips with commentary.

Radar Chief
10-14-2004, 12:39 PM
oops, Mark Hyman was on CNBC last night and told Gloria Borger that it was not likely they would air the documentary in total but would air clips with commentary.

:LOL: Oops, its still being aired ain’t it. ROFL

MarcBulger
10-14-2004, 01:33 PM
A Kerry spokesman stated that this company will be sorry later if Kerry wins. Wow talk about free speach...

Jenson17
10-14-2004, 01:42 PM
A Kerry spokesman stated that this company will be sorry later if Kerry wins. Wow talk about free speach...

Wow. :shake:

oldandslow
10-14-2004, 01:47 PM
such a no brainer...anyone who wants this blocked is against the first ammendment.

That's right, I said it.

So you would have no problem with all of Ted Turner's stations rolling out Moore's film on Nov 1?????

I would.

The equal time law has now been effectively thrown out the window. I think we had better be careful concerning what we hope for.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 01:49 PM
:LOL: Oops, its still being aired ain’t it. ROFL

Perhaps he's backtracked from his backtrack... :hmmm:

I don't care. It won't change anyone's mind who already is going to vote for Kerry. It might appeal to a few undecideds but they will have to weigh if Kerry's actions 30 years ago are more dangerous than DUHbya's previous 30 days, 30 weeks, or 3 years.

Radar Chief
10-14-2004, 01:52 PM
So you would have no problem with all of Ted Turner's stations rolling out Moore's film on Nov 1?????

Nope, I’d even watch it. Course I’d also like to see “FarhenHYPE 911” and “C41.11” broadcast on network TV.

KCTitus
10-14-2004, 01:52 PM

I would.

The equal time law has now been effectively thrown out the window. I think we had better be careful concerning what we hope for.

Nope...doesnt bother me at all.

Equal time?! Yeah, that was thrown out the window about 40 years ago when 3 news depts controlled what made news on TV after the NYT decided what was important.

Dont cite to me equal time...you've got every liberal on this board wetting their pants because of Fox News' existence. Ok, so it's 6 liberal to 1 conservative and they're up in arms.

Equal time...so aggravating.

KCWolfman
10-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Perhaps he's backtracked from his backtrack... :hmmm:

I don't care. It won't change anyone's mind who already is going to vote for Kerry. It might appeal to a few undecideds but they will have to weigh if Kerry's actions 30 years ago are more dangerous than DUHbya's previous 30 days, 30 weeks, or 3 years.
Wow, you didn't care so much you started a thread about it.

Radar Chief
10-14-2004, 02:03 PM

She doesn’t care because she just lost traction. She can’t use this as a stab at everyone not her, so the subject no longer matters.

KCWolfman
10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
She doesn’t care because she just lost traction. She can’t use this as a stab at everyone not her, so the subject no longer matters.
That's okay, the fact that she even responded shows she does care.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 02:07 PM

I don't care because I realized that the public is past being swayed by SBVT or likeminded groups. They have seen enough of Kerry that they will decide based on what they see now vs. what people contend happened 30 years ago.

I do take exception with Sinclair though. I did a research paper on them and they make Faux News and Ruppert Murdoch look liberal. I think it was Sinclair that DUHbya and the FCC sought to help when they relaxed station ownership rules earlier. And now we see the payback. :cuss:

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 02:07 PM
The equal time law has now been effectively thrown out the window.
If you mean the Fairness Doctrine, it was effectively thrown out the window in 1987 when it was repealed.

Jenson17
10-14-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't care because I realized that the public is past being swayed by SBVT or likeminded groups. They have seen enough of Kerry that they will decide based on what they see now vs. what people contend happened 30 years ago.

I do take exception with Sinclair though. I did a research paper on them and they make Faux News and Ruppert Murdoch look liberal. I think it was Sinclair that DUHbya and the FCC sought to help when they relaxed station ownership rules earlier. And now we see the payback. :cuss:

Eh, more of that blasted "Right wing conspiracy...." ROFL

KCWolfman
10-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't care because I realized that the public is past being swayed by SBVT or likeminded groups.

And you came to the realization after your intial post yesterday?

Rationalization is sad when the only person you are trying to convince is yourself.

HolmeZz
10-14-2004, 02:10 PM

That's right, I said it.

Didn't Sinclair take a Nightline segment off the air because it was naming those who had died in Iraq?

This isn't free speech. It's all political agenda.

Jenson17
10-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Didn't Sinclair take a Nightline segment off the air because it was naming those who had died in Iraq?

Political agenda IS protected free speech; it's actually precisely what the first amendment is about....ask Michael Moore about it.

With no "fairness doctrine" it's fair game....like it or not.

KCTitus
10-14-2004, 02:18 PM

No, it's free speech alright. As for political agendas, well, the Evening newscasts of the 'big 3' have been that way for decades.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Translation: This isn't free speech, this is conservative people talking.

HolmeZz
10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Political agenda IS protected free speech; it's actually precisely what the first amendment is about....ask Michael Moore about it.

With no "fairness doctrine" it's fair game....like it or not.

If Moore had gotten F-9/11 to run on national television, I'd completely agree with your point, but there is a difference between people having to go and spend money to see a piece of political agenda and people getting it broadcasted to them.

This, to me, is like the Rather incident, and since Bush-supporters saw how stupid CBS looked and have already deemed that what they did was a clear slanted propaganda piece, why would you be FOR it in this instance? Because it's Kerry? To me, that shows a bias.

KCTitus
10-14-2004, 02:26 PM
This, to me, is like the Rather incident, and since Bush-supporters saw how stupid CBS looked and have already deemed that what they did was a clear slanted propaganda piece, why would you be FOR it in this instance? Because it's Kerry? To me, that shows a bias.

Take everything that Rather, Jennings, Brokaw and 60 minutes have ever done, you can even throw in some dateline sh!t and CNN...

Dont start bemoaning about bias...those books aint close to balanced.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 02:27 PM
If Moore had gotten F-9/11 to run on national television, I'd completely agree with your point, but there is a difference between people having to go and spend money to see a piece of political agenda and people getting it broadcasted to them.

No one said Rather wasn't entitled to be biased. Rather wasn't entitled to claim a lack of bias once his bias was exposed. Besides, using forged documents to reinforce an accusation is a poor practice, regardless of political leanings.

ROYC75
10-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Cool, this will piss off the whole DNC and Kerry !

OK Dems, wanna play ?

Iowanian
10-14-2004, 02:29 PM

I would.

Michael Moore got weeks of headlines, news coverage, interviews and commentary.............all showing clips of his movie or bashing the Bush Presidency.

They'd have to show this documentary every night until the election on national TV to get equal air time to what Moore and Stewart Smalley, and Bill Maher have had at Bush's expense.

HolmeZz
10-14-2004, 02:34 PM
No one said Rather wasn't entitled to be biased.

But plenty of people here still complain about it. For example, the post right before your's:

Take everything that Rather, Jennings, Brokaw and 60 minutes have ever done, you can even throw in some dateline sh!t and CNN...

Dont start bemoaning about bias...those books aint close to balanced.

You can't have it both ways. Either everyone can have a bias or no one can.

KCTitus
10-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Interestingly, Holmezz missed this sentence...

Rather wasn't entitled to claim a lack of bias once his bias was exposed.

Ive got no problem with bias, I just wish they were up front about it.

alpha_omega
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
They have seen enough of Kerry...
Couldn't have said this better.
Too bad you had to continue and say all that other stuff.

HolmeZz
10-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Interestingly, Holmezz missed this sentence...

Ive got no problem with bias, I just wish they were up front about it.

Fair and Balanced Fox? ;)

No news organization would boldly come out and admit a bias. It would hurt it's viewing audience.