PDA

View Full Version : My admitedly bad idea on how to utilize Larry Johnson next season.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Larry Johnson, our potentially talented, 1st round pick is sitting on the bench game after game. Here's my idea. I know you guys will say it's a bad idea, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

LJ is 6'1" 228
Tony R is 6'1" 232
Easy is 6'1" 245

TR is a good reciever, great blocker and so-so runner. Easy is a bad blocker, so-so runner and so-so reciever. LJ is possibly a good runner, possibly a good reciever and an improving blocker. I don't see much difference between LJ and Easy. LJ is only 4 lbs lighter than TR. Maybe Vermiel could drop Easy next season, move LJ to FB and draft Sproles in the 3rd round? Sproles fits our HB role better than LJ. Sproles is more like Priest than LJ is. Of all of the RB on our roster, I'd say LJ is most like Easy. I know LJ wasn't drafted to be a FB, but this way he'd at least get on the field. From the FB position, he'd be a good reciever and runner compared to other FBs. He'd have to put on about 10 lbs in my view. I think the hardest thing for LJ would be to improve his blocking skills. That's probably the key to my whole idea. He could back up Tony R for now. Then, when TR retires and Priest retires, LJ could become the starting FB or HB. As the backup FB, he'd have to play ST also. In the mean time, Sproles could be the #3 or maybe #2 HB behind Holmes. I was just thinking this would be better than LJ sitting on the bench. This way he gains some on-field experience, even though it's as a FB instead of HB. Our 1st round pick is sitting on the bench and is never going to be traded. Since we're stuck with him, we need to use him in some way or another. We're going to have to draft a FB to replace TR soon anyway. Maybe this is a temporary fix.

OK. Let me have it. How incredibly horrible is this idea? Or, have I stumbled across a potentially good idea?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good or bad is this idea? On a scale where 1 is like moving Tamarick Vanover to HB and where 10 is like moving Dante Hall to WR/KR/PR/RB/FB.

Cochise
10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
You're right, that really is a bad idea.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
If he could pick up the blocking schemes, i'd say go for it. IIRC that was his main problem. Also, I believe we are paying him like a RB and not a FB.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Oh..I didn't see the mention of Sproles in your statement. I'd say no to drafting him unless he improves tremendously. It pains me to say that, but with the way he is playing I wouldn't want to see him in a Chiefs uniform.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 03:44 PM
You're right, that really is a bad idea.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good or bad is this idea? On a scale where 1 is like moving Tamarick Vanover to HB and where 10 is like moving Dante Hall to WR/KR/PR/RB/FB.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
If he could pick up the blocking schemes, i'd say go for it. IIRC that was his main problem. Also, I believe we are paying him like a RB and not a FB. You're right, we're paying him starting RB money. But I'd rather pay him starting RB money to play FB than to pay him starting RB money to sit on the bench and rot. Agree? :hmmm:

Cochise
10-14-2004, 03:46 PM
I would say that this idea is about a 7 on the scale of dumb ideas, 10 being the dumbest.

This isn't "trade Tony Gonzalez", but its still pretty bad.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh..I didn't see the mention of Sproles in your statement. I'd say no to drafting him unless he improves tremendously. It pains me to say that, but with the way he is playing I wouldn't want to see him in a Chiefs uniform. Sproles is having a bad year thus far. But I think that may be because he is trying to carry his team on his back singlehandedly. He would also make a nice back up to Dante Hall in KR/PR. I think he'd be a good 3rd down RB if LJ does move to the #1 HB position after Holmes retires.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
It all depends. Here is the only way as I see it working:

1. Cut Easy
2. LJ gets a pay cut, gets moved to FB (which would piss him off, i'm assuming)
3. Draft a RB in the later rounds.

I think we have yet to see the best of LJ though. I'd still like to see him as a RB.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Sproles is having a bad year thus far. But I think that may be because he is trying to carry his team on his back singlehandedly. He would also make a nice back up to Dante Hall in KR/PR. I think he'd be a good 3rd down RB if LJ does move to the #1 HB position after Holmes retires.
I'm assuming you haven't seen him field a punt this year. Its not pretty.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
I would say that this idea is about a 7 on the scale of dumb ideas, 10 being the dumbest.

This isn't "trade Tony Gonzalez", but its still pretty bad. You used the wrong scale. You must mean a 4.

alpha_omega
10-14-2004, 03:54 PM
On a scale where 1 is like moving Tamarick Vanover to HB....

Now, THAT was a bad idea!

Soupnazi
10-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them use LJ as a kick returner this year. No one is kicking to Dante anyway, and his return averages are among the lowest in the league.

Rock them to sleep w/ LJ in there, and at least we get some good yards out of the return game.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Draft Sproles? ARE YOU INSANE?

Crush
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
This about a 9.

Uncle Jesse
10-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Drafting Sproles definately indicates your suffering from watching too much Snyder ball.
(post hawk loss shock syndrome or something)

Sproles will break like a twig in the nfl IMHO.....~~~~~snapp~~pop~~twist~~

he's way smaller than Dante isnt he?

Ralphy Boy
10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Drafting Sproles definately indicates your suffering from watching too much Snyder ball.
(post hawk loss shock syndrome or something)

Sproles will break like a twig in the nfl IMHO.....~~~~~snapp~~pop~~twist~~

he's way smaller than Dante isnt he?
Sproles 5'7" 180 lbs
Hall 5'8" 187 lbs

according to ESPN

mcan
10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
First, LJ isn't getting that much money. He got a decent sized signing bonus because he was drafted at the end of the first round. But his yearly salaries are rookie level salaries... Much less than what a veteran Fullback would recieve, and significanly less than a veteran halfback.

His base salary this year is less than a quarter of what Tony Richardson's is...

That said, if he can learn to block, moving him to fullback would be a great way to get him on the field a bit more often. I doubt he'd go for it though, and frankly if having him on the field means that Trent is going to take a shot on the chin by a blitzing linebacker that LJ forgot to block, then I'd rather have him on the sideline.

As for Sproles... I'd pass. The guy will not make it in the NFL running the way he does. He's not Barry Sanders, no matter what eveybody says. He's not strong enough, and he doesn't run down hill. He uses that damned spin move in college because college linebackers suck. The first time he tries to spin off of an NFL linebacker's tackle, he'll wish he was dead.

Mcan
posting 1 block from the KSU campus...

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Sproles 5'7" 180 lbs
Hall 5'8" 187 lbs

according to ESPN
You know how colleges exaggerate. Sproles is 5'5" and gets thrown around by college LB's.

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 07:43 PM
I don't see anything overtly wrong with the idea. I've always thought it'd be kind of cool to replace the fullback with another running back anyway. You can do all kinds of misdirections and stuff with two true running backs, and you can always just bring in a brutish fullback type in short yardage situations.

Crush
10-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Say no to Sproles.

beavis
10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
My admitedly bad idea
Yes this is horrible, this idea.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I don't see anything overtly wrong with the idea. I've always thought it'd be kind of cool to replace the fullback with another running back anyway. You can do all kinds of misdirections and stuff with two true running backs, and you can always just bring in a brutish fullback type in short yardage situations.
You must remember the single wing offense.

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 08:13 PM
This about a 9. Wow!! You must think this is an excellent idea!!! Thanks

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
I don't see anything overtly wrong with the idea. I've always thought it'd be kind of cool to replace the fullback with another running back anyway. You can do all kinds of misdirections and stuff with two true running backs, and you can always just bring in a brutish fullback type in short yardage situations. Thanks dude. On my scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this idea?

Inspector
10-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Put Vanover in as FB, with Sproles blocking for him.

Bam Morris can get the dope for after the game.

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 08:42 PM
You must remember the single wing offense.

The what? I remember no such thing.

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks dude. On my scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this idea?

Probably about a B-.

Phobia
10-14-2004, 08:45 PM
As long as this Sproles guy can play LB, I'm all for the idea.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
The what? I remember no such thing.
The Wing-T?

KC Jones
10-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I think we should just offer him in a human sacrifice ritual to the dark gods of NFL drafts. It has a lot more upside than your idea.

;)

Count Alex's Losses
10-14-2004, 09:54 PM
As long as this Sproles guy can play LB, I'm all for the idea.

SprolesNextGriffin

tk13
10-14-2004, 09:59 PM
SprolesNextGriffin
I'm partial to "KawikaNextCadrez" myself....

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 10:10 PM
The Wing-T?

Wasn't that a car?

John_Wayne
10-14-2004, 11:15 PM
How about moving LJ to LB? Just kidding.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 11:18 PM
I got it..lets convert LJ to a defensive back!

Crush
10-14-2004, 11:24 PM
:hmmm: Didn't somebody say that LJ was the second coming of Keith Cash. He could become a tight end! Or was that one of the voices in my head?

Sure-Oz
10-14-2004, 11:34 PM
This will never happen, LJ would rather pull a ricky then play FB, he wants the rock not to block.

Logical
10-14-2004, 11:45 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, how good or bad is this idea? On a scale where 1 is like moving Tamarick Vanover to HB and where 10 is like moving Dante Hall to WR/KR/PR/RB/FB.5

John_Wayne
10-15-2004, 08:07 AM
This will never happen, LJ would rather pull a ricky then play FB, he wants the rock not to block. Who are you, Jackie Chiles?