PDA

View Full Version : ooops, Cheney forgot he outed daughter in Aug 04 speech

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Oh shoot, sorta makes the righteous indignation of Mary's privacy a big joke... ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.dailygamecock.com/news/2004/08/25/News/Cheney.Speech.Supports.Gays-704782.shtml

Cheney speech supports gays
Vice president says gay couples deserve freedom
Published: Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Associated Press

DAVENPORT, Iowa - Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is a lesbian, spoke supportively about gay relationships on Tuesday, saying "freedom means freedom for everyone."

At a campaign rally in this Mississippi River town, Cheney was asked about his stand on gay marriage - an issue for which his boss, President Bush, has pushed for a constitutional amendment to ban such unions.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage," he said.

Bush backs a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage, a move Cheney says was prompted by various judicial rulings, including the action in Massachusetts that made gay marriage legal.

"I think his perception was that the courts, in effect, were beginning to change, without DAVENPORT, Iowa - Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is a lesbian, spoke supportively about gay relationships on Tuesday, saying "freedom means freedom for everyone."

At a campaign rally in this Mississippi River town, Cheney was asked about his stand on gay marriage - an issue for which his boss, President Bush, has pushed for a constitutional amendment to ban such unions.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage," he said.

Bush backs a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage, a move Cheney says was prompted by various judicial rulings, including the action in Massachusetts that made gay marriage legal.

"I think his perception was that the courts, in effect, were beginning to change, without allowing the people to be involved," Cheney said. "The courts were making the judgment for the entire country."

Last month, Lynne Cheney said states should have the final say over the legal status of personal relationships, a comment that came just days before the Senate failed to back the ban.

Cheney said the amendment did not have the votes to pass, but he also said the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which President Clinton signed into law in 1996, may be enough.

"Most states have addressed this and there is on the books the federal statute, the Defense of Marriage Act, passed in 1996, and to date, it has not been successfully challenged in the courts and may be sufficient to resolve the issue," the vice president said.

The Cheneys have two daughters, both of whom are working on the campaign. Mary Cheney is director of vice presidential operations for the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign. She held a public role as her father's assistant in the 2000 campaign and helped the GOP recruit gay voters during the 2002 midterm elections.

During the 2000 campaign, vice presidential candidate Dick Cheney took the position that states should decide legal issues about personal relationships and that people should be free to enter relationships of their choosing.

Addressing Bush's position on the amendment, Cheney said, "at this point, save my own preference, as I have stated, but the president makes policy for the administration. He's made it clear that he does, in fact, support a constitutional amendment on this issue."

Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts and John Edwards of North Carolina, oppose the amendment. The Democratic candidates also oppose gay marriage, but defend a gay couple's rights to the same legal protections as those conferred in marriage.

Steven Fisher, spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, a gay and lesbian advocacy group, said Cheney's remarks show a stark difference with Bush's efforts "to put discrimination in the Constitution."

"President Bush is feeling the heat. The administration has been using gay Americans to drive a wedge into the electorate. There are millions of American families who have gay family members and friends, who are offended by the president's use of discrimination," Fisher said.

Donger
10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Ooops! Wrong Cheney.

mikey23545
10-14-2004, 04:08 PM
If you can't see the difference between someone talking about his own family, and a "man" who doesn't even know her using her name in a nationally televised debate to....

What am I thinking. This is Denise. This is pointless.

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=memyselfI]Oh shoot, sorta makes the righteous indignation of Mary's privacy a big joke... ROFL ROFL ROFL

uhh...not what it's about.

RINGLEADER
10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Kedwards are the ones hoping to score points (or, more specifically, to deduct points from Bush's religious base) by talking about Mary Cheney's sexuality.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
If you can't see the difference between someone talking about his own family, and a "man" who doesn't even know her using her name in a nationally televised debate to....

What am I thinking. This is Denise. This is pointless.

I'm sure he knows her name. She is working for the BC04 campaign. She has been an advocate for gay issues when she worked for Coors. She and her partner we seen TOGETHER at the VP debate. The lack of her being included onstage during the Con Con was discussed ad nauseum on the news networks.......to pretend like her privacy was violated is a comical.

http://www.washblade.com/2004/10-8/news/national/Cheney-Mary.jpg

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm sure he knows her name. She is working for the BC04 campaign. She has been an advocate for gay issues when she worked for Coors. She and her partner we seen TOGETHER at the VP debate. The lack of her being included onstage during the Con Con was discussed ad nauseum on the news networks.......to pretend like her privacy was violated is a comical.

Who said her privacy was violated?

redbrian
10-14-2004, 04:25 PM
And yet Kerry would not support her getting married,

"John Kerry favors civil unions, not gay marriage. It's that simple," spokesman David Wade said.

"Kerry has said he believes marriage both legally and religiously should be reserved between a man and woman, while civil unions between any couple are a legal right under the separation of church and state."

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Who said her privacy was violated?

Mary Matalin was on CNN telling Wolf Blitzer that she is a 'private' person and as such has been violated....

if you recall Matalin is a senior Cheney advisor. I heard Rush say it. I heard Hannity (I think it was) last night say it among others.

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Mary Matalin was on CNN telling Wolf Blitzer that she is a 'private' person and as such has been violated....

if you recall Matalin is a senior Cheney advisor. I heard Rush say it. I heard Hannity (I think it was) last night say it among others.

:rolleyes:

Figures. The Cheney family didn't say it. So you'll make up shit anyway.

Donger
10-14-2004, 04:31 PM

Did I miss either Vice President Cheney or his wife in there?

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 04:42 PM
I know you can tell the difference between a father expressing his love for his daughter, and his father's opponent referencing her sexual activities in a presidential debate in an effort to stir up animosity. But you'd never admit that level of intelligence here, would you?

Taco John
10-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Now those look like a couple of women who just 'up and decided' to be gay...

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 04:57 PM
:rolleyes:

Figures. The Cheney family didn't say it. So you'll make up shit anyway.

AH but they said it ad nauseum during the 2000 campaign. So they are trying to have it both ways...they want her as a campaign pawn when they are trying to sell their compassionate conservatism but don't want her to be seen or heard or mentioned when THEY FEEL it might negatively impact the President.

:hmmm:

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Did I miss either Vice President Cheney or his wife in there?

Are you insinuating that Mary Matalin's outrage was not reflective of her boss' opinion?

Taco John
10-14-2004, 04:59 PM

Tell me that's not Peter Scolari and Tom Hanks trying to score some cheap rent...

Taco John
10-14-2004, 05:00 PM
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~peterv/bb/bb4.jpg

KCWolfman
10-14-2004, 05:03 PM
No one said it was about "outing".

Here's your sign.

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Are you insinuating that Mary Matalin's outrage was not reflective of her boss' opinion?

Yes.

Unlike you, I'll assume that Mary Matalin was speaking for herself until I hear otherwise.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:10 PM
So they are trying to have it both ways...they want her as a campaign pawn when they are trying to sell their compassionate conservatism but don't want her to be seen or heard or mentioned when THEY FEEL it might negatively impact the President.
No, no, no. Again, no. They don't want their opponent to use her in an effort to negatively impact the president.
All the difference in the world.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
No, no, no. Again, no. They don't want their opponent to use her in an effort to negatively impact the president.
All the difference in the world.

OH, I get it now...

it's OK for them to use her as a political pawn to APPEAR to be 'compassionate conservatives' to gloss over their anti-gay agenda but if their opponent who is seen as having a more gay friendly agenda uses her as an example in a positive way then it's a negative. :doh!:

Cochise
10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
I think that Bush ought to call Kerry's daughter a cheap whore for wearing that see-thru dress. After all, things that your children do that you may or may not approve of are obviously fair game.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I think that Bush ought to call Kerry's daughter a cheap whore for wearing that see-thru dress. After all, things that your children do that you may or may not approve of are obviously fair game.

Agreed. She put herself in that situation and thus if they want to make an issue of it then so be it. I'd caution them on being too negative though because Kerry was NOT negative about Cheney's daughter rather it is just the way they are spinning it.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:18 PM
OH, I get it now...

it's OK for them to use her as a political pawn to APPEAR to be 'compassionate conservatives' to gloss over their anti-gay agenda but if their opponent who is seen as having a more gay friendly agenda uses her as an example in a positive way then it's a negative. :doh!:
I'm clinging to the dwindling notion that you're smarter than this. But it doesn't matter at this point. People saw Kerry's stunt for what it was. Kerry knew he fugged up the moment he tried to pull it off. People have expressed their opinion of it. And Kerry has trotted his damage control measures.
The rest of America is clearheaded about Kerry's motives.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm clinging to the dwindling notion that you're smarter than this. But it doesn't matter at this point. People saw Kerry's stunt for what it was. Kerry knew he fugged up the moment he tried to pull it off. People have expressed their opinion of it. And Kerry has trotted his damage control measures.
The rest of America is clearheaded about Kerry's motives.

And inspite of such an allegedly fatal error he is still judged to have won the debate... :hmmm:

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
because Kerry was NOT negative about Cheney's daughter rather it is just the way they are spinning it.
Would it have helped if Kerry had had Eric Idle at his side, so he could go "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?"

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Would it have helped if Kerry had had Eric Idle at his side, so he could go "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?"

He did the same thing Edwards did the week before. He made a positive remark about her. The intention is being judged as a negative but the remark itself was not.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:22 PM
And inspite of such an allegedly fatal error he is still judged to have won the debate... :hmmm:
Pull your head out of begalablog.com for a moment, and take a breath.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Pull your head out of begalablog.com for a moment, and take a breath.

Begala has a blog? I've been at Andrew Sullivan's and other gay blogs all day... I'll check out Begala's. Thanks.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:25 PM
He did the same thing Edwards did the week before. He made a positive remark about her. The intention is being judged as a negative but the remark itself was not.
Just another example amongst the legion of Mememe reading tea leaves on 'the story inside the story' when a republican says something [look at the angle of his elbow, that's a well-known Halliburton secret signal indicating "we have a new pipeline."], but utterly refusing to see the clear subtext of her side when it doesn't fit her rosy scenario.

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM

Nonsense.

Here's what Edwards said: expressed "respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a wonderful thing."

That's a positive.

Kerry brought up Mary with the explicit intent to try to damage Cheney and the campaign.

That's a negative.

Of course, now Kerry's claiming that he was trying to channel Edwards, while it's abundantly clear to anyone with a few neurons firing that he was not.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Just another example amongst the legion of Mememe reading tea leaves on 'the story inside the story' when a republican says something [look at the angle of his elbow, that's a well-known Halliburton secret signal indicating "we have a new pipeline."], but utterly refusing to see the clear subtext of her side when it doesn't fit her rosy scenario.

Oh, it was so negative that the VP was sitting there and did not hit Edwards with either words or fist and instead passed his 90 second rebuttal time after thanking him for his 'kind words.' :hmmm:

KCWolfman
Just another example amongst the legion of Mememe reading tea leaves on 'the story inside the story' when a republican says something [look at the angle of his elbow, that's a well-known Halliburton secret signal indicating "we have a new pipeline.], but utterly refusing to see the clear subtext of her side when it doesn't fit her rosy scenario.
But BLee, Kerry is a cousin once removed from a hairdresser of a chauffer of a sister-in-law of John Edwards, and Cheney is his best friends, great uncle's, mechanics next door neighbor's milkman. So it is okay.

I don't know if it is funny that Duhnise makes such wild extrapolations or it is sad that she probably believes them as she utters the words.

KCWolfman
Oh, it was so negative that the VP was sitting there and did not hit Edwards with either words or fist and instead passed his 90 second rebuttal time after thanking him for his 'kind words.' :hmmm:
So Kerry quoted Edwards verbatim?

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 05:29 PM

ROFL

memyselfI
Nonsense.

Here's what Edwards said: expressed "respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a wonderful thing."

That's a positive.

Kerry brought up Mary with the explicit intent to try to damage Cheney and the campaign.

That's a negative.

Of course, now Kerry's claiming that he was trying to channel Edwards, while it's abundantly clear to anyone with a few neurons firing that he was not.

ROTF again the Cons are insisting that calling a lesbian lesbian is an insult and a negative. She is openly gay and her family have openly embraced her. The only negative here is the Republicans trying to make her an issue when there was none.

Taco John
Screw you guys.

I totally deserved rep for the Bosom Buddies reference... ROFL

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
If you didn't see the 'if I weren't a gentleman, I'd pull my pacemaker from my chest and hook it to your nutsack' look Cheney gave Edwards, that's your loss.

Taco John
10-14-2004, 05:31 PM
But really... You guys are going to seriously talk about this huh?

A ton of great issues brought up last night, and you guys want to talk about Cheney's daughter being gay and all, huh?

ohhhhkay...

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:32 PM
ROTF again the Cons are insisting that calling a lesbian lesbian is an insult and a negative. She is openly gay and her family have openly embraced her. The only negative here is the Republicans trying to make her an issue when there was none.

Are you having reading comprehension issues again?

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:32 PM
ROTF again the Cons are insisting that calling a lesbian lesbian is an insult and a negative.
That is NOT what is happening. Do you have a recent head wound or something?
We are pointing out that Kerry thought calling her a lesbian would play as an insult, and that it's insulting that he thought that.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Had the president, when speaking about immigration, referenced Teresa Heinz Kerry's experience in a positive or neutral light, would that have been inappropriate? Is Mary Cheney's homosexuality some sort of affliction? A verboten family tragedy like the death of John Edwards' son? The only "cheap and tawdry political trick" performed Wednesday night was the one turned by the Cheney parental units. It was they who used their daughter's sexuality as a weapon against John Kerry's sympathetic (and very general) remark. If only Dick and Lynne were so indignant when their daughter was legitimately under attack by an administration willing to write gays and lesbians out of the nation's founding document. Selective indignation has never been so crass " - Kevin Arnovitz, Slate. Amen. It's legitimate to threaten every gay couple with the removal of their basic rights, but it is not legitimate to point out that Cheney's own daughter will be directly affected? By what twisted logic?

www.andrewsullivan.com

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
That is NOT what is happening. Do you have a recent head wound or something?
We are pointing out that Kerry thought calling her a lesbian would play as an insult, and that it's insulting that he thought that.

Kevin Arnovitz makes a good point...

calling Teresa an immigrant would be an insult? Afterall, immigration is a controversial issue.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Kevin Arnovitz makes a good point...

calling Teresa an immigrant would be an insult? Afterall, immigration is a controversial issue.
I was unaware that she was an ILLEGAL immigrant.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I was unaware that she was an ILLEGAL immigrant.

I was unaware that Mary Cheney was a closeted lesbian. :hmmm:

DanT
10-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Here's an article from 4 years ago that was just one of many available from yahoo.com by searching for

+"Mary Cheney" +lesbian

http://dir.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/07/29/mary/index.html?pn=1

She must be remarkably talented to be able to secure that position. I don't know whether her sexual orientation was known by Coors, let alone considered an asset, but it's interesting that Coors felt like she should be touring with International Mr. Leather 1999 for marketing purposes, isn't it?

All in the family

Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter, Mary, is expected to stump for the GOP ticket. As the gay corporate relations manager for Coors, she knows all about the hard sell.

By Dave Cullen
- - - - - - - - - -

July 29, 2000 | GOLDEN, Colo. -- The gay rights battle appears poised to enter the presidential campaign in an unlikely way. Republican vice presidential nominee Dick Cheney has a lesbian daughter, and friends report she has already put off grad school to play an active role on the campaign trail.

Mary Cheney, 31, is not just any lesbian. Until May, she was the lesbian/gay corporate relations manager for the once-notoriously anti-gay Coors Brewing Co. In that role she became a key player in the pivotal "movement vs. market" debate raging inside the gay activist community, representing the point of view that corporate America is a better friend than government in advancing the cause of gay rights.

Gay leaders don't know what to expect from the surprise addition of a candidate with an openly gay daughter to the Republican ticket. While both Cheney and George W. Bush have been opposed to many gay rights measures, some advocates think the presence of Mary Cheney can't help but advance the cause of social acceptance for gays in both parties.

Judging from her efforts on behalf of Coors, Cheney will go the extra mile for a cause she believes in. To get gay advocates to drop their support for a Coors boycott, for instance, she traveled the country with the winner of the International Mr. Leather 1999 competition -- a hugely popular event on the gay-bar circuit -- meeting with gay leaders to advance the Coors cause.

Boozer
10-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Here's an article from 4 years ago that was just one of many available from yahoo.com by searching for

+"Mary Cheney" +lesbian

http://dir.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/07/29/mary/index.html?pn=1

She must be remarkably talented to be able to secure that position. I don't know whether her sexual orientation was known by Coors, let alone considered an asset, but it's interesting that Coors felt like she should be touring with International Mr. Leather 1999 for marketing purposes, isn't it?

I think Coors has done an admirable job of trying to turn their image around. I bet they have more gay-targeted advertising out there than AB. If Cheney's daughter was behind it, good for her.

Hel'n
10-14-2004, 06:50 PM

shhhhh... they really don't wanna know....

don't ask, don't tell...

DanT
10-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I think Coors has done an admirable job of trying to turn their image around. I bet they have more gay-targeted advertising out there than AB. If Cheney's daughter was behind it, good for her.

I wonder if she and International Mr. Leather 1999 ever talk about whether the gay lifestyle is a choice.

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2004, 07:00 PM

That's interesting. I never knew Coors had an image of being anti-gay. Being based in Colorado and all I just always figgered they were leading the corporate 'diversity train.'

Boozer
10-14-2004, 07:18 PM
That's interesting. I never knew Coors had an image of being anti-gay. Being based in Colorado and all I just always figgered they were leading the corporate 'diversity train.'

I think the corporate image is derivate of it's leadership. The Coors family is (in)famously conservative.

DanT
10-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Here's an 1999 article from a gay Deniver newspaper that talks about Coors' history and its' leather-clad spokesman's crusade:
http://www.westword.com/issues/1999-09-02/news/feature_1.html

Ugly Duck
10-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Oh shoot, sorta makes the righteous indignation of Mary's privacy a big joke... ROFL ROFL ROFL

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Ya know.... we libs are really to blame for letting this become an issue. Only the extremely naive or the BushCo fanatics with blinders on can't see that this whole thing is anything but an attempted deflection from the real issues. If we libs are going to respond to every deflection that Karl Rove thinks up.... we deserve to lose. Responding to this kind of phoney campaign flak plays right into his hands..... he's loving this! Just move on, talk about the real issues, and let Faux News and the rightie nutcases squeal in affected indignation. The more we cater to the right wing attempts at deflection, the less actual info there is for the undecideds to look at.

KCWolfman
10-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Ya know.... we libs are really to blame for letting this become an issue. Only the extremely naive or the BushCo fanatics with blinders on can't see that this whole thing is anything but an attempted deflection from the real issues. If we libs are going to respond to every deflection that Karl Rove thinks up.... we deserve to lose. Responding to this kind of phoney campaign flak plays right into his hands..... he's loving this! Just move on, talk about the real issues, and let Faux News and the rightie nutcases squeal in affected indignation. The more we cater to the right wing attempts at deflection, the less actual info there is for the undecideds to look at.
He said while looking for National Guard documents.

Taco John
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
I almost miss the days of talking about Kerry's tan...

Donger
10-15-2004, 07:39 AM

What tan? That spray on stuff only lasts for a few days.

the Talking Can
10-15-2004, 07:47 AM

I almost miss the "flip-flopper" talk.....seems so long ago....