PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Clarifies Cheney Daughter Remark

Donger
10-14-2004, 04:42 PM
WASHINGTON Presidential candidate John Kerry (search) launched into damage control Thursday afternoon after angering Vice President Cheney (search) and his family and alienating some voters by mentioning that Cheney's daughter, Mary, is gay.

I love my daughters. They love their daughter. I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with this issue, Kerry said in a statement released from the campaign trail in Las Vegas. Kerry was there to speak to the AARP, the nation's largest organization for seniors. First lady Laura Bush had addressed the crowd earlier.

But the remarks may have come too late for the vice president and second lady Lynne Cheney (search). Cheney told supporters at a rally in Fort Myers, Fla., that the Massachusetts senator stepped over the line.

"You saw a man who will do and say anything to get elected, and I am not just speaking as a father here, although I am a pretty angry father," Cheney said.

Kerry caused a stir on Wednesday night at the third and last presidential debate when he referred to Mary Cheney (search), an official in the Bush-Cheney campaign, while answering a question from moderator Bob Schieffer, who asked whether homosexuality is a choice.

"We're all God's children, Bob, and I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was. She's being who she was born as. I think if you talk to anybody, it's not a choice."

It was the second time Mary Cheney's sexuality had come up during the debates. In the vice presidential debate last week, Democratic Sen. John Edwards also brought up the vice president's daughter.

"I think the vice president and his wife love their daughter. I think they love her very much. And you can't have anything but respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a wonderful thing," Edwards said.

Asked his response to Edwards' remarks on that, Cheney answered only by saying: "Let me simply thank the senator for the kind words he said about my family and our daughter. I appreciate that very much."

At the debate, Cheney declined to say anything more about the issue of gay marriage after Edwards' remarks. The vice president had responded earlier that the president's policy is to support a constitutional amendment against gay marriage, and he supports the president, though his personal opinion is much closer to Kerry's position.

"Traditionally, that's been an issue for the states. States have regulated marriage, if you will. That would be my preference," he said at the debate.

But in a post-debate appearance Wednesday night, Lynne Cheney could no longer hold her silence about the repeated mention of her daughter's sexuality.

"Now, you know, I did have a chance to assess John Kerry once more and now the only thing I could conclude: This is not a good man," she told a crowd of 800 debate-watchers in a Pittsburgh suburb. "Of course, I am speaking as a mom, and a pretty indignant mom. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick."

GOP pollster Ed Goeas reported that the undecided focus group he surveyed during the debate on Wednesday night had a very negative reaction to Kerry after he brought up the vice president's daughter, even though they thought he had been doing well up until that point.

Nonetheless, Kerry Campaign Manager Mary Beth Cahill told FOX News on Wednesday night that Mary Cheney's orientation is "fair game."

"She seems to be very proud and open about her sexuality, her parents seem to be very proud of her," Cahill said. "It comes up, there are a lot of questions here about gay marriage, and she is someone who is a major figure in the campaign. I think it's fair game and I think she has been treated very respectfully."

On Thursday, however, Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, appeared to be playing off her own chart. Rather than applauding the Cheney family for supporting their daughter, she said that Mrs. Cheney's reaction may suggest that the second lady is ashamed of her daughter.

"She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs. ... I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences. ... It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response," Mrs. Edwards told ABC News Radio.

In the debate on Wednesday night, Bush said he did not know whether homosexuality is a choice, and while he supports allowing consenting adults to "live the way they want to live," he worries that "activist judges" are trying to define marriage in a way that changes the basic view of "marriage as an institution, between a man and a woman."

Kerry agreed that marriage is the union of man and woman, but thinks the decision to sanction same-sex marriages should be left up to states.

In an interview in the Oct. 26 issue of the gay magazine The Advocate, Kerry said gay Americans should support his candidacy because he will appoint Supreme Court justices who will fight for equality and a fair interpretation of the equal protection clause and due process. He said he pays a political price for opposing attempts at "gay bashing" in the Senate.

"The difference between me and George Bush will be the difference to gay and lesbian couples and individuals across this country whether rights are afforded them or whether or not they are discriminated against," Kerry said. He added, "If people take a walk on those things, life's going to be worse."

chiefs4me
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
her father is in public office,,,which means she is even if she didn't want to be,,,if he loves his daughter and she is proud of who she is,,,,then what's the problem,

Patriot 21
10-14-2004, 05:17 PM
WASHINGTON

On Thursday, however, Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, appeared to be playing off her own chart. Rather than applauding the Cheney family for supporting their daughter, she said that Mrs. Cheney's reaction may suggest that the second lady is ashamed of her daughter.

"She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs. ... I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences. ... It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response," Mrs. Edwards told ABC News Radio.

(As if it weren't already evidenced by their build.) These demoncrap women just don't know when to shut their cake hole do they? :shake:

RINGLEADER
10-14-2004, 05:17 PM
More mealy-mouthed mish-mash from take-every-side Kerry.

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with this issue

Anyone believe this?

chiefs4me
10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
so you actually like bush,,all the man can talk about when asked a question is education,,,,I live in TX,,,,I have seen what bush has done for us,,,,not a dam thing,,,

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Another stupid wife of a politician who should spend her day taking valium, drinking gin and keeping her damn mouth shut.

Donger
her father is in public office,,,which means she is even if she didn't want to be,,,if he loves his daughter and she is proud of who she is,,,,then what's the problem,

Kerry chose to bring up the fact that Cheney's daugther is a homosexual. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the question he was asked.

chiefs4me
(As if it weren't already evidenced by their build.) These demoncrap women just don't know when to shut their cake hole do they? :shake:

come on down to texas and try and shut me up,,,,

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:22 PM
so you actually like bush,,all the man can talk about when asked a question is education,,,,I live in TX,,,,I have seen what bush has done for us,,,,not a dam thing,,,

Before someone mentions, education and you.

chiefs4me
10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Kerry chose to bring up the fact that Cheney's daugther is a homosexual. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the question he was asked.

did you even watch the debate,,,,,,,the question was on homosexaulality,,he can bring up any example he wants,,,,sounds to me like the bush admin is embarrassed by cheny's daughter,,,

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:24 PM

Apparently some Conservative voters might have been unaware that Cheney has bred a 'selfish hedonist' even though Alan Keyes has been campaigning using this description of the VP's daughter. :rolleyes:

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
did you even watch the debate,,,,,,,the question was on homosexaulality,,he can bring up any example he wants,,,,sounds to me like the bush admin is embarrassed by cheny's daughter,,,

You miss the point.

Kerry deliberately chose to bring up Cheney's daughter. He could have used any homosexual as an example. It was a cheap shot, period.

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM

Seemed fairly obvious to me sKerry brought it up solely to draw religious voters away from Bush.

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Anyone believe this?

You tell me, where do you read that in his answer from last night.....

"We're all God's children, Bob, and I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was. She's being who she was born as. I think if you talk to anybody, it's not a choice."

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Seemed fairly obvious to me sKerry brought it up solely to draw religious voters away from Bush.

Why would Kerry think that would work. The evangelicals are deeply devoted to DUHbya. http://www.drudgereport.com/bush.jpg

chiefs4me
10-14-2004, 05:31 PM
You miss the point.

Kerry deliberately chose to bring up Cheney's daughter. He could have used any homosexual as an example. It was a cheap shot, period.

yes your right he could of used anybody,,,,and he chose who he wanted,,so get over it,,,,if they love their daughter sooooooo much,,,then what is the big deal,,bush took plenty of cheap shots,,waiting for the laugh to follow which didn't,,,,I tell you as an american,,,if other countries watched my president last night then I am embarrassed,,,,he looks and answers like a fool,,,

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:31 PM
You miss the point.

But not every homosexual works for gay rights in between their father's political campaign and then fades to the shadows during their campaign...

again, the controversy reflects more on the discomfort level of the Cons and their hypocricy regarding the issue.

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Why would Kerry think that would work. The evangelicals are deeply devoted to DUHbya. http://www.drudgereport.com/bush.jpg

Why does sKerry think he get elected?

Who know's what's going on in his mushed brain head. I mean, the man has a complete group of morons running his campaign.

Who know's what he's thinking.

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Nonetheless, Kerry Campaign Manager Mary Beth Cahill told FOX News on Wednesday night that Mary Cheney's orientation is "fair game."

"She seems to be very proud and open about her sexuality, her parents seem to be very proud of her," Cahill said. "It comes up, there are a lot of questions here about gay marriage, and she is someone who is a major figure in the campaign. I think it's fair game and I think she has been treated very respectfully."

No, she's not.

redbrian
But not every homosexual works for gay rights in between their father's political campaign and then fades to the shadows during their campaign...

again, the controversy reflects more on the discomfort level of the Cons and their hypocricy regarding the issue.

Unlike Kerry's hypocricy as he also does not support gay marriages.

Donger
yes your right he could of used anybody,,,,and he chose who he wanted,,so get over it,,,,if they love their daughter sooooooo much,,,then what is the big deal,,bush took plenty of cheap shots,,waiting for the laugh to follow which didn't,,,,I tell you as an american,,,if other countries watched my president last night then I am embarrassed,,,,he looks and answers like a fool,,,

Must
resist
joke

Must
resist
joke

penchief
10-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I tend to believe that the Cheney's are taking one for the team in order to divert attention from their flailing campaign. I really believe the president and vice president are getting desperate. This is such a non-issue compared to anything else, let alone the weighty issues facing America at the present time.

While I do agree that Kerry made a minor error in judgment, I also believe that this latest episode of feigned outrage is an example of how politically tawdry the Cheney's are willing to be. They are willing to allow the issue to be the center of attention even though it prolongs their daughter's exploitation. They are willing to do that in order to divert attention from the fact that Kerry has appeared more presidential than the president during the course of three debates.

I think the Bush presidency is wilting. They are beginning to look very petty and out of touch with the issues that are really threatening the fabric of American life.

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM

Look. I'll say it. Prove it. Maybe she has the discomfort level because she knows she is turning away from the liberals when she helps her dad campaign. She also knows that people like you will rail on her for it.

chiefs4me
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
oh go ahead donger,,,,,look in the mirror,

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:36 PM

Huh?

Duck Dog
10-14-2004, 05:37 PM

ROFL

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I tend to believe that the Cheney's are taking one for the team in order to divert attention from their flailing campaign.

See my news thread!!!!

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I tend to believe that the Cheney's are taking one for the team in order to divert attention from their flailing campaign. I really believe the president and vice president are getting desperate. This is such a non-issue compared to anything else, let alone the weighty issues facing America at the present time.

While I do agree that Kerry made a minor error in judgment, I also believe that this latest episode of feigned outrage is an example of how politically tawdry the Cheney's are willing to be. They are willing to allow the issue to be the center of attention even though it prolongs their daughter's exploitation. They are willing to do that in order to divert attention from the fact that Kerry has appeared more presidential than the president during the course of three debates.

I think the Bush presidency is wilting. They are beginning to look very petty and out of touch with the issues that are really threatening the fabric of American life.

Keep telling yourself that, maybe it will come true.

Donger
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM

OK, I just went and looked in the mirror.

Unfortunately, my vision was blurred by a bunch of dots. Actually, they looked more like commas.

RINGLEADER
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM

Probably for the same reason that he does that stupid "prayer hands" introduction...I'm sure there was some meeting at some time among the Dems who thought doing that would make Kerry seem more religious than he really wanted to be...like most things with Kerry it comes off as rehearsed and fake.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:42 PM
No, she's not.

She runs operations in the VP's campaign office. I think that is a major position within a campaign.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Probably for the same reason that he does that stupid "prayer hands" introduction...I'm sure there was some meeting at some time among the Dems who thought doing that would make Kerry seem more religious than he really wanted to be...like most things with Kerry it comes off as rehearsed and fake.

What is funny is that Kerry was religious while DUHbya was hungover a toilet someplace until his early 40's. Kerry considered going into the seminary as a young man but went to Vietnam instead.

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 05:46 PM
She runs operations in the VP's campaign office. I think that is a major position within a campaign.

Oh yeah, that is real major. That explains why candidates spend so much time talking about their opponents choices for those positions.

A major figure in a campaign would a person who is actually running for office.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, that is real major. That explains why candidates spend so much time talking about their opponents choices for those positions.

A major figure in a campaign would a person who is actually running for office.

She's running re-election campaign operations for the VPOTUS. I think that is a major postion that very few people have ever or will ever achieve.

redbrian
10-14-2004, 05:56 PM
What is funny is that Kerry was religious while DUHbya was hungover a toilet someplace until his early 40's. Kerry considered going into the seminary as a young man but went to Vietnam instead.

This shows more hypocrisy from Kerry as he does not support the fundamentals of his own religion.

A more honorable person would have joined a faith more akin to his believes as you claim to have done (we have often read your railings against the evils of Catholicism). .

BroWhippendiddle
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Another stupid wife of a politician who should spend her day taking valium, drinking gin and keeping her damn mouth shut.

Two out of three ain't bad, now all we have to do is to get Theresa to keep her mouth shut!!!!

BroWhippendiddle
10-14-2004, 05:59 PM

I suppose that it is OK with you if we indicate your sexual preference in the public's eye. It is an election year and most people think sex with animals is bad (not that what you do in your own home is our business!!!!!)

BroWhippendiddle
10-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Apparently some Conservative voters might have been unaware that Cheney has bred a 'selfish hedonist' even though Alan Keyes has been campaigning using this description of the VP's daughter. :rolleyes:

Did Alan Keyes promote it in a national debate?

Raiderhader
She's running re-election campaign operations for the VPOTUS. I think that is a major postion that very few people have ever or will ever achieve.

And when the campaign is over will she be a member of the administration? No. Her significance is relegated to what she does in the office during the election, nothing more, nothing less. And Kerry was not even talking about her job, he was talking about her sexual lifestyle which is completely irrelevant.

She is not a major figure, except when the left makes her one.

memyselfI
This shows more hypocrisy from Kerry as he does not support the fundamentals of his own religion.

A more honorable person would have joined a faith more akin to his believes as you claim to have done (we have often read your railings against the evils of Catholicism). .

He is a cafeteria Catholic...

from what I gather the most prevalent kind.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
And when the campaign is over will she be a member of the administration? No. Her significance is relegated to what she does in the office during the election, nothing more, nothing less. And Kerry was not even talking about her job, he was talking about her sexual lifestyle which is completely irrelevant.

She is not a major figure, except when the left makes her one.

You don't know that. She was kept in the shadows because there would be a re-election in 04. But Cheney has stated he has no further political aspirations so it's quite possible that she could be in a position if she wanted it.

RINGLEADER

No, the controversy reflects more on Kerry saying something stupid and, once again, trying to pretend the real meaning of what he said was something different from what he actually said.

See "global test."

See "I've always been consistent on Iraq."

See "the war on terror is exaggerated."

Baby Lee

The closest analogue to this brou-ha-ha I can think of was the tempest in a teapot that arose when Ross Perot addressed the NAACP with the ill-advised "you people."

Raiderhader
10-14-2004, 06:07 PM
You don't know that. She was kept in the shadows because there would be a re-election in 04. But Cheney has stated he has no further political aspirations so it's quite possible that she could be in a position if she wanted it.

She won't be. However, for the sake of discussion let's say she does get a job with the administration. That is in the future, not now. The proper time to bring her and discuss her is when she has been appointed for a position. As of now she holds no position in the administration, and it has not been said that she may at some point.

You are basing your argument purely on an unlikely hypothetical. That is beyond weak.

BroWhippendiddle
10-14-2004, 06:08 PM

You seem to misunderstand the whole background on Christianity, but that's OK. I'll explain a little of what Christianity does for you. When you are a sinner (without God) and you accept Christ as your savior your past sins are forgiven. It's really impressive that the Supreme Being can forgive you of all of your sins, yet humans (if you want to consider meme a human) will hold your past against you forever. The neat thing is the bible says "JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGED".

We all judge others regardless of what they have worked out with their maker, I am no different, I can admit that. What I do know is that the President is sincere in his convictions and Kerry doesn't seem as sincere.

Kerry has claimed to have been an alter boy in each of the three debates. I've known quite a few alterboys in my life and they tend to be the worst examples of the Catholic religion I've ever seen. They tend to lie cheat and steal (you know, just like the current democratic presidential candidate has been doing.)

Kerry uses his connection with the Catholic religion as a crutch to gain votes. George Bush uses his religion as a way of life.

memyselfI
10-14-2004, 06:10 PM
You seem to misunderstand the whole background on Christianity, but that's OK. I'll explain a little of what Christianity does for you. When you are a sinner (without God) and you accept Christ as your savior your past sins are forgiven. It's really impressive that the Supreme Being can forgive you of all of your sins, yet humans (if you want to consider meme a human) will hold your past against you forever. The neat thing is the bible says "JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGED".

We all judge others regardless of what they have worked out with their maker, I am no different, I can admit that. What I do know is that the President is sincere in his convictions and Kerry doesn't seem as sincere.

Kerry has claimed to have been an alter boy in each of the three debates. I've known quite a few alterboys in my life and they tend to be the worst examples of the Catholic religion I've ever seen. They tend to lie cheat and steal (you know, just like the current democratic presidential candidate has been doing.)

Kerry uses his connection with the Catholic religion as a crutch to gain votes. George Bush uses his religion as a way of life.

Well, there are those who believe DUHbya uses his religion as a weapon...

and as you some who say Kerry uses his as a crutch. Who is anyone to know what is in the heart and soul of these men regarding their relationship with God???

All I know is DUHbya's use of God scares me more than Kerry's does.

Cochise
10-14-2004, 06:13 PM
If there is nothing wrong with the comment why the need to clarify?

Donger
10-14-2004, 06:15 PM
If there is nothing wrong with the comment why the need to clarify?

"Blame the Republicans" in...

BroWhippendiddle
10-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Well, there are those who believe DUHbya uses his religion as a weapon...

and as you some who say Kerry uses his as a crutch. Who is anyone to know what is in the heart and soul of these men regarding their relationship with God???

All I know is DUHbya's use of God scares me more than Kerry's does.

That is because you don't understand what religion is all about. What scares you about the Presidents "use" of God? The fact that he prays? The fact that he cares about the founding fathers intent when the US was born? What I've seen of Kerry is the "I was an alter boy" line that he used in all three debtes, the is akin to "My best friend is an African-American. It is a line used to impress someone and has no substance, the is like most the comments that Kerry has made. I'm a good alter boy, you should be impressed. The President lives his convictins, Kerry uses them for political gain, all show and no go. He even said that he disagrees with the Catholic Churches stance on gays, that means that he will tell you that he won't raise taxes but will because he doesn't beleive that he has to live up to his program.