PDA

View Full Version : With Halloween approaching. . .

Ghostof
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Does anyone have any spooky, scary stories or websites they can share?

I'll start. I was uh, working, a few weeks ago, and after doing a search about "Tennessee and Kentucky Ghost Stories" this website caught my eye.

http://www.bellwitchfansite.com

I had never heard of anything about this, but check this out:

As far as we can tell, a spirit, or what they called a witch back in the day, got really pissed off at a guy named John Bell. No one is really sure why this spirit hated John Bell so much. There's lot's of speculation on the subject, but one thing is certain, she detested him. So "he-she-it" (we'll call the witch a she from here on out) decided to terrorize his whole family. At first the witch just scratched the walls and bedposts, but then she started talking. Not a lot at first and not very well, but in time she found her voice.

I think that, at first, she was kinda a cool spirit. She would gossip about people and if they were doing hatefully things like cheating on their spouses, she would go and rat about it to other people in the town. So for a while, people liked her and were too scared to screw up and do anything wrong. Soon, she started hanging out in the local churches (Baptist and Methodist) and was renowned for reciting the preacher's sermons word for word. Sometimes she would even mimic the preacher's own voice! People started coming from all around to see if this "Witch" was actually real. She seemed to enjoy taunting, scaring and entertaining these visitors. General Andrew Jackson visited the Bell farm and got more than he bargained for in his encounter with the Bell Witch. In other words, she scared the crap out of him and his men!

Out of the blue, she suddenly renounced God and became a really pissy girl. She terrorized John Bell's family and kids with a renewed vengeance. But what's so amazing is that she took a liking to his wife Lucy, and even saved her live once by giving her some herbs from the orient. She always said that she would kill John Bell and sure enough she became the first spirit to kill a person. Even the State of Tennessee has a sign talking about it, and Tennessee is the only state to recognize a spirit killing a person. She sang at his funeral and hung around for a few days then said that she would be back in 7 years. She did come back to John Bell's family and predicted WW2, and a lot of other things including a really cool fan web site to start up in 2002 (that last part was a joke).

After the second visit, she said that she would be back in 107 years, but as far as we can tell she never came back. Some people say that she did come back and now hangs out in the Bell Witch cave (which we didn't get to see, dammit, cause Adams is a vortex of all the b films rolled up into one). Anyway there is a lot more to the story so check out some of the books written about it.

"Even the State of Tennessee has a sign talking about it, and Tennessee is the only state to recognize a spirit killing a person."

!!!!!

Crush
10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Apparently, New Jersey is ghost central.

http://www.weirdnj.com/home/index.html

el borracho
10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
A bit off the topic, but who or what are you the Ghostof, anyway?

Ghostof
10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
It was my avatar or characters name in an MMORPG called Everquest.

Now I use it as my handle. I also use Raptor, my HALO handle.

Frosty
10-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Talk about scary:

http://darthraider.com/

:)

CosmicPal
10-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Well, this doesn’t include dishes being thrown or lights flickering on and off or spirits drinking my liquor, but it is a genuine, if not exciting experience.

Years ago, I was working at Johnson County Industrial Airport as a ramp agent then. I worked the afternoon/night shift, and at the end of our shift- someone would have to take the fuel trucks to the other end of the airport and “top them off”

A few times I’d hear things, but always shrugged them off as the wind or someone or something, such as a rat, messing around in the old, abandoned hangar. It never bothered me, and I never said anything to anyone.

But, one night, I was on top of the fuel truck watching the fuel when I heard someone next to the truck. It was a faint sound, but enough to stir me to look in that direction. And then the strangest thing happened- it suddenly got cold, and I mean very cold, very quick. Just to let you know- it was the dead of summer and still in the 80’s that night. But, my immediate area must have felt as though it was a wintry 10 degrees. I felt as though someone was standing right next to me….

Needless to say- I was so scared I simply stopped the fueling process and drove back to the airport as fast as I could.

I can’t explain it. It’s not a “scared” like you’re a chicken or something. It was as though a sudden sense of dread, the taste of death, the complete utter void of being succumbs you. The weather doesn’t change instantaneously from 80 to 10 degrees. There is no way I could explain it. I do remember sticking my arm out and how my hands were warm, yet I was still encapsulated by this frozen area.

When I returned to the airport and went to a bar with some of the co-workers- they asked why I was shaking several times before I would finally tell them. It was then I discovered the area was haunted and had been reported so on several TV programs. That much I didn’t know, but I do know this- I experienced whatever went on there myself.

I know I've seen links about the airport before...I'll have to search for them again.

Ghostof
10-15-2004, 12:15 PM
The Johnson County Industrial Airport in Olathe is haunted by unexplained noises, strange sounds, whistling and phantom footsteps. They have plagued Hangar 43 for more than 50 years and employees and staff members have dubbed the elusive spirit who haunts the place the "Commander". They believe that he may have been one of the 54 men killed at the navy flight training base, which was located there in 1942.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/ksstories.html

CosmicPal
10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
The Johnson County Industrial Airport in Olathe is haunted by unexplained noises, strange sounds, whistling and phantom footsteps. They have plagued Hangar 43 for more than 50 years and employees and staff members have dubbed the elusive spirit who haunts the place the "Commander". They believe that he may have been one of the 54 men killed at the navy flight training base, which was located there in 1942.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/ksstories.html

Hey....I can't find jack on this thing...there used to be a great site with a good write up on this.