PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper, Jr.: FIRED!

cmh6476
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
http://nypost.com/sports/31795.htm

ESPN Shocker: Kiper Gone.

By ANDREW MARCHAND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 15, 2004 -- Mel Kiper Jr. is off ESPN's draft board, NYP TV Sports has learned. After a 22-year run as ESPN's NFL draft expert, Kiper is being let go by the network.
"ESPN will not be renewing Mel Kiper's contract," Mark Shapiro, the network's executive vice president, confirmed.

"He would not agree to extend the standard non-monetary contract provisions of his current deal.''

ESPN would not elaborate.

Reached yesterday, Kiper, 44, was unaware of ESPN's final decision.

"You are telling me something ESPN hasn't told me," said Kiper, whose last contract expired Oct. 1. "There was some language that we were not agreeable to. As far as I was concerned, negotiations were ongoing.''

Kiper agreed that money was not an issue. He acknowledged that the language of the contract was the problem, but wouldn't go into great detail. Pressed for an example, he did say he wanted to know a specific number of SportsCenters he would be required to do.

Expect to see more of ex-Met GM Steve Phillips on ESPN next year.

"He worked the phones more than I think anyone else on our staff," said ESPN senior coordinating producer for baseball, Tim Scanlan.

Next year, Phillips is to be in studio and in three-man game booths. Larry Bowa, Barry Larkin and Todd Zeile also are on ESPN's radar for next season. Bowa, the fired Phillies manager, did one postseason Baseball Tonight.

While Larkin may play again, Zeile - who lives in California - probably would only want to do a limited amount of games and not commute to Bristol for Baseball Tonight.

Outspoken ex-Golden State coach Eric Musselman is finishing up negotiations that will make him the lead regular-season NBA game analyst on ESPN Radio.

If you win, everything is better - even your personality.

During Week 1, Fox' Terry Bradshaw called Tom Coughlin a "jerk." This past Sunday, before the Giants extended their winning streak to four, Bradshaw said, "I never should have called Coughlin a jerk."

Too little, too late. If Bradshaw wanted to demonstrate real remorse, he should have done it in Week 2, before the victories.

Sam Rosen and John Davidson are an enthusiastic duo when it comes to Ranger hockey, but it will be interesting to see if they can genuinely turn up the adrenaline when they open the AHL Hartford WolfPack season on MSG tomorrow.

Saulbadguy
10-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Happy trails.

Demonpenz
10-15-2004, 10:52 AM
of course Tim Scanlan (rich's dad) fired him. Kiper's the one that said Rich Scanlon wasn't a first rounder

dirk digler
10-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Whether or not you liked Kiper he did know his stuff. Big loss IMO.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Whether or not you liked Kiper he did know his stuff.

Well, when you generate 500 mock drafts a year one or two of them is bound to have a player or two in the right spot.

Amnorix
10-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Kiper -- example of success by sheer power of positive thinking. Not quality thinking, or intelligent thinking. Just postive, energetic thinking...

Brock
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Did they fire his hair too?

Mark M
10-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Whether or not you liked Kiper he did know his stuff. Big loss IMO.

Yeah, he was dead one about how stupid the Colts were for taking James over Williams.

:shake: :p

I guess we know where voyager is sending his resumé ...

MM
~~:)

Chiefnj
10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
I read at PFT that they hired some guy named Voyager to replace Kiper.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
i imagine Kiper ends up on the NFL network

Crush
10-15-2004, 11:46 AM
zzzz.... When ESPN finally decides to fire both Stuart Scott and Michael Irvin, talk to me.

shaneo69
10-15-2004, 12:07 PM
I miss Kiper on ESPN radio's Saturday College Football Gameday with Dave Revsine.

KC Jones
10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Kiper -- example of success by sheer power of positive thinking. Not quality thinking, or intelligent thinking. Just postive, energetic thinking...

No way my friend, it was the hair. Kiper just like Don King has that kind of magical mind altering reality shaping heads of hair. Like time and space get warped by gravitational fields, money and fame are attracted and warped by Kiper's hair.

Saulbadguy
10-15-2004, 12:37 PM
i imagine Kiper ends up on the NFL network
We all know you are indeed Mel Kiper Jr, Laz.

Brock
10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
He probably compared Darren Sproles to Barry Sanders.

dirk digler
10-15-2004, 12:58 PM
He probably compared Darren Sproles to Barry Sanders.

No that was Saul.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2004, 12:59 PM
We all know you are indeed Mel Kiper Jr, Laz.
i dont know whether to be insulted,flattered or otherwise

so i'll just move on :D

Demonpenz
10-15-2004, 01:37 PM
i think they should just tell fde to talk really loud and no one would even tell they replaced kiper

philfree
10-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Kiper pissed me off when I joined insider to see his draft stuff and he only gave out a little bit and then wanted you to buy his draft report to get the rest. That was fugged!

PhilFree :arrow:

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Yep....he will end up over at NFL Network eventually...I wouldnt be surprised if they will have exclusive coverage of the NFL draft someday..

Douche Baggins
10-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I thought the NFL Network was owned by ESPN.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 02:18 PM
You're an idiot.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 02:20 PM

haha...not quite......I think in the next 10 years or so the NFL Netowrk is only going to get bigger and bigger...and will probably start controlling their own product alot more....Eventually we will see games on there such as Sunday Night or even Monday Night games....in fact, they are trying to add a 3rd night game either on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday Night..

Douche Baggins
10-15-2004, 02:20 PM
You're an idiot.

Apparently not...I mean, my previous post is apparently incorrect.

Mark M
10-15-2004, 02:23 PM

You also think you'll eventually get laid.

You're wrong on both counts.

MM
~~:p

Douche Baggins
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
You also think you'll eventually get laid.

You're wrong on both counts.

MM
~~:p

I could get a ho...

Spicy McHaggis
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll miss Mel "The Football Vampire" Kiper. Half the fun of the draft was sitting with my friends and making fun of his hair and doing our best impressions in Transylvanian accents. I guess we still have Irvin to rip on.

Mark M
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I could get a ho...

No you couldn't ...

you'd just drive around the block for 2 hours trying to get up the nerve. By the time you'd gotten it, she'd have gone home.

MM
~~nlm

Calcountry
10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
http://nypost.com/sports/31795.htm

ESPN Shocker: Kiper Gone.

By ANDREW MARCHAND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 15, 2004 -- Mel Kiper Jr. is off ESPN's draft board, NYP TV Sports has learned. After a 22-year run as ESPN's NFL draft expert, Kiper is being let go by the network.
"ESPN will not be renewing Mel Kiper's contract," Mark Shapiro, the network's executive vice president, confirmed.

"He would not agree to extend the standard non-monetary contract provisions of his current deal.''

ESPN would not elaborate.

Reached yesterday, Kiper, 44, was unaware of ESPN's final decision.

"You are telling me something ESPN hasn't told me," said Kiper, whose last contract expired Oct. 1. "There was some language that we were not agreeable to. As far as I was concerned, negotiations were ongoing.''

Kiper agreed that money was not an issue. He acknowledged that the language of the contract was the problem, but wouldn't go into great detail. Pressed for an example, he did say he wanted to know a specific number of SportsCenters he would be required to do.

Expect to see more of ex-Met GM Steve Phillips on ESPN next year.

"He worked the phones more than I think anyone else on our staff," said ESPN senior coordinating producer for baseball, Tim Scanlan.

Next year, Phillips is to be in studio and in three-man game booths. Larry Bowa, Barry Larkin and Todd Zeile also are on ESPN's radar for next season. Bowa, the fired Phillies manager, did one postseason Baseball Tonight.

While Larkin may play again, Zeile - who lives in California - probably would only want to do a limited amount of games and not commute to Bristol for Baseball Tonight.

Outspoken ex-Golden State coach Eric Musselman is finishing up negotiations that will make him the lead regular-season NBA game analyst on ESPN Radio.

If you win, everything is better - even your personality.

During Week 1, Fox' Terry Bradshaw called Tom Coughlin a "jerk." This past Sunday, before the Giants extended their winning streak to four, Bradshaw said, "I never should have called Coughlin a jerk."

Too little, too late. If Bradshaw wanted to demonstrate real remorse, he should have done it in Week 2, before the victories.

Sam Rosen and John Davidson are an enthusiastic duo when it comes to Ranger hockey, but it will be interesting to see if they can genuinely turn up the adrenaline when they open the AHL Hartford WolfPack season on MSG tomorrow.
Yet another casualty of Bush's failed economic policies.

Dartgod
10-15-2004, 02:49 PM
No you couldn't ...

you'd just drive around the block for 2 hours trying to get up the nerve. By the time you'd gotten it, she'd have gone home.

MM
~~nlm
Or died of AIDS...

Crush
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

tk13
10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
That's highly disappointing. No more "Keep f'ing doubting Mel Kiper Jr." rants next year...

Douche Baggins
10-15-2004, 03:04 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

What the hell is so goddamn funny? It's not a stretch at all. Rich Eisen used to work for ESPN.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 03:12 PM
That's some seriously twisted logic. I used to work for Motorola. Does that mean they own my present employer?

Dude, it's the NFL network. It's owned by the NFL. This was all pretty clear in the press releases when it was launched. How the hell did you miss it?

dtebbe
10-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I've always agree with the Tuna when it came to Mel Kiper.. "Who the hell is he?", "Did he actually play football?" I mean, really, exactly what made him an "expert" outside of him thinking he was?

DT

whoman69
10-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Kiper's big problem is that he gets personally insulted when teams don't go by his draft board.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Kiper's big problem is that he gets personally insulted when teams don't go by his draft board.

Like when he slammed Indy for not drafting Trent Dilfer back in the mid 1990's? Indy's GM at the time went off on him and said...."Who the Hell is Mel Kiper Jr.??" I thought that was hilarious....

Douche Baggins
10-15-2004, 05:20 PM
That's some seriously twisted logic. I used to work for Motorola. Does that mean they own my present employer?

Dude, it's the NFL network. It's owned by the NFL. This was all pretty clear in the press releases when it was launched. How the hell did you miss it?

I just assumed ESPN hand picked Rich Eisen to be the spokesman for their new Network. How did he get out of his contract with ESPN?

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Who the hell am I? His agent?

Miles
10-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Wonder how long it will be till Fox Sports picks him up...

whoman69
10-15-2004, 09:17 PM
I read at PFT that they hired some guy named Voyager to replace Kiper.
Don't even joke about it. I'd have to quit watching the draft. He probably still has us shooting for Terrance Newman next year.

Skip Towne
10-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Yep....he will end up over at NFL Network eventually...I wouldnt be surprised if they will have exclusive coverage of the NFL draft someday..
Bet on it.

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Kiper's big problem is that he gets personally insulted when teams don't go by his draft board.That sounds like some fans I know. No, that sounds like all fans I know. Including me.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 09:36 PM
That sounds like some fans I know. No, that sounds like all fans I know. Including me.
Not me. I honestly don't give a flying f*ck who the Saints take in the fifth round.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Not me. I honestly don't give a flying f*ck who the Saints take in the fifth round.

Yea....i had him rated as the 6th best linebacker on my board! Hes about 220..a little undersized but a hard worker...he will be a 2 year project...

keg in kc
10-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Not me. I honestly don't give a flying f*ck who the Saints take in the fifth round.Well, I was speaking more about being upset with our team not taking the guy I want, but I'll cencede your point.