PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Suggests Bush Could Revive Draft

Donger
10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
MILWAUKEE - There is a "great potential of a draft" to replenish U.S. forces in Iraq (news - web sites) if President Bush (news - web sites) wins a second term, Democratic challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) said Friday on a campaign stop in Iowa.

Bush said in the second presidential debate that there would be no revival of the military draft under any circumstances if he is re-elected. "We're not going to have a draft, period," the president said.

However, Kerry told The Des Moines Register, "With George Bush (news - web sites), the plan for Iraq is more of the same and the great potential of a draft." The interview was published Friday as Kerry was leaving for Wisconsin and a speech on the economy.

Bush-Cheney campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said Kerry's statement amounts to "fear mongering" and demonstrates "that he is a candidate will to do or say anything to score political points."

Kerry is telling voters that Bush's record on jobs and taxes has helped special interests, not their interests, as he heads into the final stretch of his presidential campaign with running mate John Edwards (news - web sites).

Kerry prepared to deliver the first in a series of speeches that aides describe as the campaign's "closing arguments" in Milwaukee, the first stop of a daylong drive through Wisconsin.

"We know that the strength of our economy isn't just about how many jobs we've gained or lost," Kerry said in remarks prepared for delivery Friday. "It's also about whether those jobs lift up our families. It's about whether our incomes are rising or falling."

Kerry portrayed the president as out of touch with the everyday challenges facing families.

"George Bush has had four years to do something anything to create an economy where hard working Americans can live out their dreams," Kerry said. "The problem is, this president just doesn't understand what's happened to our economy."

Bush has defended his economic record, saying that repeated tax cuts energized growth and helped create 1.78 million new jobs after the economy sustained terrorist attacks, a sustained stock market slide and a recession.

Wisconsin's unemployment rate runs below the national average, and the state's voters haven't seen the severe job losses afflicting other Midwestern battlegrounds. Bush has a slight lead in the state, which Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) won narrowly four years ago.

Kerry opened the last, frenzied days of campaigning by hitting Bush on record budget deficits, the minimum wage and health care at a chilly, late night rally in Des Moines, Iowa.

He answered Bush's frequent line of attack against Kerry, that he can run but he can't hide from a liberal record, by quoting boxer Muhammad Ali's quip to George Foreman.

"George, is that all you've got?" Kerry said.

"After four years of falling wages, losing jobs, losing health care, is that all you've got, Mr. President?"

Kerry, Edwards and their wives were briefed for more than an hour Thursday night on the campaign's "unprecedented" plan for voter turnout and fighting voter suppression, said campaign adviser Mike McCurry. McCurry said Kerry requested the briefing, which campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill led in a Des Moines hotel room after the two couples held a rally at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

McCurry would not give any details of the briefing but said the campaign is very concerned about allegations of voter suppression. He said they hear that Republican election officials are not producing enough ballots given increases in voter registration.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20041015/ap_on_el_pr/kerry

Donger
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Yikes! Sorry.

"Requesting teleportation to DC Forum!"

Donger
10-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks.

Taco John
10-15-2004, 12:01 PM
The Internets are getting started up again...

Brock
10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Desperate demagoguery.

unlurking
10-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I don't think Bush could get away with a draft, even if he wanted to. To me this is just more FUD slinging.

If Bush needed a draft to add forces, how could Kerry get away with adding two divisions without it?

I'm thinking that nobody should really trust anything they here from either side from now on to the election. The fighting between the two camps (RNC/DNC) is about to go up a notch.

DonksRCrap
10-15-2004, 12:04 PM
But I thought it was the Reps who were the fear mongers....who use scare tactics....

Donger
10-15-2004, 12:05 PM
If Bush needed a draft to add forces, how could Kerry get away with adding two divisions without it?

He "has a plan."

Amnorix
10-15-2004, 12:32 PM
I think our military forces are stretched exceedingly thin. If we are stuck in Iraq long term, I don't know how we're going to pull it off considering that Stop Loss and other similar measures can't be continued indefinitely.

A draft is probably not politically feasible, but I really don't know what the heck the answer is going to be otherwise, IF we're stuck in Iraq for the medium to long term (several years anyway).

Soupnazi
10-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I think our military forces are stretched exceedingly thin. If we are stuck in Iraq long term, I don't know how we're going to pull it off considering that Stop Loss and other similar measures can't be continued indefinitely.

A draft is probably not politically feasible, but I really don't know what the heck the answer is going to be otherwise, IF we're stuck in Iraq for the medium to long term (several years anyway).

I think the real question is how many, for how long, in what capacity.

memyselfI
But I thought it was the Reps who were the fear mongers....who use scare tactics....

Yep, like saying Kerry is going to raise takes on the MC when he looked in the camera and said he wouldn't. Guess turnabout is fair play. :hmmm:

Baby Lee
Geez, the draft will be reinstituted, despite Bush's express representation that it wouldn't because the numbers indicate that it's inevitable.

Where have I heard something like that?

Oh, I know.

The emptiness of Kerry's promise not to raise taxes to pay for his huge programs.

Cochise
10-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Yep, like saying Kerry is going to raise takes on the MC when he looked in the camera and said he wouldn't. Guess turnabout is fair play. :hmmm:

Good form on the deflection, but no points for style and creativity. 4.5

Donger
10-15-2004, 12:38 PM
I'd like someone to ask Kerry how he reached this conclusion. After all, aren't the armed forces presently meeting their respective recruitment goals?

OmahaChief
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
And Kerry accuses the Bush campaign of scare tactics? What exactly would Kerry call this desperate measure?

Soupnazi
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Denise, as soon as you can find Bush's record of reinitiating the draft analogous to Kerry's record on tax increases, then your comparison can be made.

Donger
10-15-2004, 12:48 PM

Again, what is Kerry's basis for making this remark?

Iowanian
10-15-2004, 12:56 PM
A presidential candidate insinuates regularly that the Draft could be re-instituted.

A presidential Candidate says he wants to add 40,000 troops (2 divisions) and double the Special Forces in the US aresenal.

The Party of one of the presidential candidates submitted a bill, concerning the draft, that went to vote last week.

That candidate is not George W Bush.

I think its far more likely that the military will relax entrance restrictions based on things like DUI.

Kerry says he won't raise taxes, but in a clever hook and ladder, says he's going to Repeal the Bush tax cut................that sounds like more taxes from My pocket, to me.

Kerry Suks baows....and his wife looks like a melted plastic shrew.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Again, what is Kerry's basis for making this remark?

Concern that it might be the only option given DUHbya's diplomacy challenged policies. :hmmm:

Donger
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Concern that it might be the only option given DUHbya's diplomacy challenged policies. :hmmm:

Is that your opinion or the Kerry campaign's stated reason?

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Is that your opinion or the Kerry campaign's stated reason?

My opinion. But check www.johnkerry.com to see if they have it there.

Donger
10-15-2004, 01:12 PM
My opinion. But check www.johnkerry.com to see if they have it there.

Nope. Not a peep.

htismaqe
10-15-2004, 01:13 PM

Yeah, by all means, we should be forging strong alliances with people like France. We should seek more diplomatic means of resolution, like further enforcement of UN sanctions.

I mean, it was only a few billion dollars that the French gained from bypassing Oil for Food, right?

DonksRCrap
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Nope. Not a peep.

Imagine that.

KCWolfman
10-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Ahh, the old "you did it first argument".

Congratulations. You have earned a seat at the head of the third grade classroom.