PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Crossfire Jon Stewart is spanking the hosts...

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
They thought this was going to be a funny segment. He is scolding them a big one...

lecturing them telling them they are partisan hacks hurting the process. Begala and Carlson are speechless. Carlson is shrill when he can choke out a word...

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 02:56 PM
He just called Carlson a dick... ROFL ROFL ROFL

unlurking
10-15-2004, 02:58 PM
"You're as big a dick on you're show as on any show"

WOW!!!

I only caught the last few minutes, but I was not expecting that.

I've never actually watched this show before (and only see Stewart on commercials for The Daily Show), so really know very little about either side.

Donger
10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
He just called Carlson a dick... ROFL ROFL ROFL

Isn't Carlson the one that wears a bow tie?

If so, calling him a dick is redundant.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 03:02 PM
"You're as big a dick on you're show as on any show"

WOW!!!

I only caught the last few minutes, but I was not expecting that.

I've never actually watched this show before (and only see Stewart on commercials for The Daily Show), so really know very little about either side.

They were obviously expecting the usual Jon Stewart (Bill Maher without the F* word and unlike Bill he's CUTE) but instead they got this serious guy who was just reading them the riot act. I think they were both too stunned to respond to him. Tucker tried to be cutsy funny because he's an immature bow tie wearing moron but Begala knew Stewart is right and so he just STFU.

VERY interesting show.

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 03:09 PM
To anyone who paid attention, Carlson pwned him on the 'opportunity' issue. Asked John why, when given a chance to interview Kerry [a chance shows that ask hard questions don't get], he decided to lay down and play butt boy?
John replied "hey, I'm just a comedy show."
But then he bemoaned the 'opportunity' shows like Crossfire squandered to have an 'honest debate.'

Look, I give John credit for maintaining a degree of composure, and refusing to let up on his premise, that talking head shows are not helping, and indeed hurting the democratic process.

But he had no call to demean Carlson personally. Kudos to Tucker for not layin the beatdown on the 'dick' comment.

And kudos to Carville for going mute. Because the fact of the matter is, Carville is the soundbyte with no underlying belief. He is the problem that Jon was complaining about. He is the guy who'll praise someone he hates, if it forwards his point, then d@mn them in the next sentence when he's done. He's the soulless spinster. Tucker has PLENTY of times gone against partisan lines on principle. Carville NEVER will.

And Jon wasn't being as earnest as he claimed. He had no problem turning to the humor to make fun of Tucker's tie, or making fun of the hosts.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
To anyone who paid attention, Carlson pwned him on the 'opportunity' issue. Asked John why, when given a chance to interview Kerry [a chance shows that ask hard questions don't get], he decided to lay down and play butt boy?
But then he bemoaned the 'opportunity' shows like Crossfire squandered to have an 'honest debate.'

Look, I give John credit for maintaining a degree of composure, and refusing to let up on his premise, that talking head shows are not helping, and indeed hurting the democratic process.

But he had no call to demean Carlson personally. Kudos to Tucker for not layin the beatdown on the 'dick' comment.

And kudos to Carville for going mute. Because the fact of the matter is, Carville is the soundbyte with no underlying belief. He is the problem that Jon was complaining about. He is the guy who'll praise someone he hates, if it forwards his point, then d@mn them in the next sentence when he's done. He's the soulless spinster. Tucker has PLENTY of times gone against partisan lines on principle. Carville NEVER will.

And Jon wasn't being as earnest as he claimed. He had no problem turning to the humor to make fun of Tucker's tie, or making fun of the hosts.

Anyone who paid attention would know it was PAUL BEGALA...

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Anyone who paid attention would know it was PAUL BEGALA...
My bad, I was typing while listening to 'Around the Horn.' Got the name wrong, got the points right.

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 03:15 PM
My bad, I was typing while listening to 'Around the Horn.' Got the name wrong, got the points right.
Besides, with the occasional exception of resignedly putting a trashcan on his head, the characterization fits for Carville as well. :p

Iowanian
10-15-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd like to see John Stewart Debate Dennis Miller.

Taco Bell
10-15-2004, 03:23 PM

Miller would slaughter him.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 03:25 PM

No way.

htismaqe
10-15-2004, 03:27 PM
"Have you ever seen the back of a $20 bill? Have you ever seen the back of a $20 bill -- ON WEED?!?!"

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Thing is, Jon doesn't debate. He makes biting comments. And if people laugh along, he's golden. If they contradict him and he thinks he can win the point. He'll make another biting comment. If they contradict him and he thinks he'll lose, he retreats into his 'I'm just a comedian' cocoon.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't think y'all are receiving Iowanian's post properly.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 03:45 PM

Miller's career is in the shitter since he turned Repub.

I don't know if he still does, but when his show 1st started he literally had to pay people to sit in the audience and watch his show. I believe he payed them 15 bucks per person.

His show will be off the air within a year maybe a year and a half.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 03:45 PM
What show?

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 03:46 PM
What show?

His show on CNBC. I don't blame you for not having heard of it.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Do they ever replay Crossfire?

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Crap... Tivo lists the next episode of Crossfire as airing at 3:30 on 10/18.

Predarat
Bill Press and Pat Buchanon wouldn't have let that happen. That would have been a show!!!!

memyselfI
Thing is, Jon doesn't debate. He makes biting comments. And if people laugh along, he's golden. If they contradict him and he thinks he can win the point. He'll make another biting comment. If they contradict him and he thinks he'll lose, he retreats into his 'I'm just a comedian' cocoon.

Sort of like how Dennis Miller starts throwing out big words or asinine tarradiddles....

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Do they ever replay Crossfire?

I don't think so.

It was so sweet that Al Franken just tried to raise similiar points with Wolf Blitzer who cut him off...

BTW, when did Bob Barr become such a cool conservative. I think he's great. He and Al Franken certainly did not disagree on much and they are supposedly opposite ends of the spectrum. :hmmm:

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
His show on CNBC. I don't blame you for not having heard of it.
Holy smokes. I had no idea. My first instinct was to say that his show got cancelled a couple years ago and suggest you try to keep up. :)

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Bill Press and Pat Buchanon wouldn't have let that happen. That would have been a show!!!!

Agreed. BTW, I really like Pat Buchanon too.

memyselfI
Holy smokes. I had no idea. My first instinct was to say that his show got cancelled a couple years ago and suggest you try to keep up. :)

His show sucks worse than John McEnroe's...do know how hard that is???

Cannibal

I gotcha. :thumb:

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Sort of like how Dennis Miller starts throwing out big words or asinine tarradiddles....
Miller debates well, and part of it is that he doesn't play to win. He plays to explore the issue. He states his case as eruditely as he can, and if someone makes a good counterpoint he then says "you make a good point" or "I don't agree, but you've stated your position well."
I think that quality is part of his conversion. He's been a leftie darling. Now, he's not so much gone right, as stood behind Bush's foreign policy. So the people he was formerly a darling of are spitting nails and people he formerly lampooned are now sucking up to him. So he knows outshouting someone at the expense of your own ideals is a waste of time. So he just expresses himself honestly.
And though the MSN show doesn't do great in the ratings, I find it the most informative, because he brings in the most diverse panels and treats them respectfully, so they are willing to come back.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Miller debates well, and part of it is that he doesn't play to win. He plays to explore the issue. He states his case as eruditely as he can, and if someone makes a good counterpoint he then says "you make a good point" or "I don't agree, but you've stated your position well."
I think that quality is part of his conversion. He's been a leftie darling. Now, he's not so much gone right, as stood behind Bush's foreign policy. So the people he was formerly a darling of are spitting nails and people he formerly lampooned are now sucking up to him. So he knows outshouting someone at the expense of your own ideals is a waste of time. So he just expresses himself honestly.
And though the MSN show doesn't do great in the ratings, I find it the most informative, because he brings in the most diverse panels and treats them respectfully, so they are willing to come back.

It certainly hasn't helped his career thats for sure. His show is CNBC BTW, not MSNBC.

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 04:08 PM
It certainly hasn't helped his career thats for sure. His show is CNBC BTW, not MSNBC.
They're all up there together in the 200-210 range on Dish.

And when was his career sooo great. SNL, his HBO show, the Vampire chick sequel, chasing after Sandra Bullock the nerd. MNF was probably his high point, and that's not exactly the Tom Cruise or Jim Carrey stratosphere.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 04:12 PM
They're all up there together in the 200-210 range on Dish.It's a good thing Skip doesn't read this forum, or he'd break into your house and strangle you with a coaxial cable.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:13 PM

And when was his career sooo great. SNL, his HBO show, the Vampire chick sequel, chasing after Sandra Bullock the nerd. MNF was probably his high point, and that's not exactly the Tom Cruise or Jim Carrey stratosphere.

It never was that great really, but now he's got tumbleweeds blowing through the studio to the sound of crickets in the background.

He's an afterthought these days.

Although, I must admit that before he turned Repub, I liked his show on HBO.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:15 PM

I like Johnny Mac's show. You must remember that this is his 1st attempt. He'll get the hang of it soon.

And yes, Miller does suck worse much worse than JMac. And Miller has been doing this for years.

Brock
10-15-2004, 04:19 PM
It's not that Miller is no longer funny. But now that he is an apostate liberal he no longer can get the good writers, and the network he is on is a joke.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 04:22 PM
I like Johnny Mac's show. You must remember that this is his 1st attempt. He'll get the hang of it soon.

And yes, Miller does suck worse much worse than JMac. And Miller has been doing this for years.

Yeah, I should cut him some slack...I'm just pizzed he didn't shove Ann Coulter's book down her throat last night. She was sitting close enough. :cuss: :banghead:

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
It's not that Miller is no longer funny. But now that he is an apostate liberal he no longer can get the good writers, and the network he is on is a joke.

You may be right about that. But it doesn't change the fact that his show sucks balls now.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I should cut him some slack...I'm just pizzed he didn't shove Ann Coulter's book down her throat last night. She was sitting close enough. :cuss: :banghead:

I DIDN'T SEE THAT!

That (. x. )(. x. )(. x. )(. x. ) was on his show last night?!

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Right along with the oddity that is Sean Astin. A 'proud liberal' who respects Bush, even though he wouldn't vote for him. Would that there were more of his temperment in the celebrity world.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 04:29 PM
I DIDN'T SEE THAT!

That (. x. )(. x. )(. x. )(. x. ) was on his show last night?!

Yes, she was...

and you could tell he was thinking of doing it. But she's got long legs and tosses her blonde hair and utters conservative rhetoric thus does not sound as outrageous and militant as radical feminists but she's as obnoxious as any of them ever were.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes, she was...

and you could tell he was thinking of doing it. But she's got long legs and tosses her blonde hair and utters conservative rhetoric thus does not sound as outrageous and militant as radical feminists but she's as obnoxious as any of them ever were.

She is hot physically I must admit. Although she is also totally fuggin insane!

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 04:34 PM
She is hot physically I must admit. Although she is also totally fuggin insane!

Yes, that has been her ticket...

otherwise someone would have shoved her size 14 shoe down her throat.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Yes, that has been her ticket...

otherwise someone would have shoved her size 14 shoe down her throat.

DONKEY PUNCH... DONKEY PUNCH... DONKEY PUNCH!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Wait... Jon McEnroe has a show?

I'm glad I stick to Adult Swim and Skinemax.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Wait... Jon McEnroe has a show?

I'm glad I stick to Adult Swim and Skinemax.

OK, what your favorite AS show?

I'd have to go for Sealab with Aquateens running second.

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 04:44 PM
OK, what your favorite AS show?

I'd have to go for Sealab with Aquateens running second.
ATHF

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:46 PM
ATHF

Cause we are the Aquateens... make homey's say ho and girlies wanna scream!

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I like the aliens and all... but I miss the Dr. Weird openings.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I like the aliens and all... but I miss the Dr. Weird openings.

I haven't been able to see the new episodes recently, by aliens, are you referring to the "Mooninites"?

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I haven't been able to see the new episodes recently, by aliens, are you referring to the "Mooninites"?
Yeah, them and the guys from Pluto. Now each show opens with those two flipping each other off or something along those lines.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, them and the guys from Pluto. Now each show opens with those two flipping each other off or something along those lines.

I love the Moonites!

I need to watch these new episodes damnit!

ENDelt260
10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
I love the Moonites!

I need to watch these new episodes damnit!
They had a Mooninites 3 episode this season, too.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 05:01 PM
They had a Mooninites 3 episode this season, too.

GOD DAMNIT!

I've been reading more recently because they always show re-runs on adult swim. I guess I need to get back to Cartoon Network on Sundays.

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Why do I think the direction this thread has turned would give Jon Stewart an embolism? ;)

"Laldies and Gentlemen, the fate of our very exist. . . Ooohhh!! Cookies!!"

Calcountry
10-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Isn't McEnroe a tennis player? When did he get a show? This only proves that you have WAY TOO much time on your hand memem

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Isn't McEnroe a tennis player? When did he get a show? This only proves that you have WAY TOO much time on your hand memem

LOL, no I just had a chance to see his show last night. I don't watch it regularly.

memyselfI
10-15-2004, 05:13 PM
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/cf.01.html

part of the transcript here. LOL

Taco John
10-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Sounds like Tucker doesn't understand Jon's format. Why in the world would anyone expect Jon Stewart to ask John Kerry "the tough questions?"

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Sounds like Tucker doesn't understand Jon's format. Why in the world would anyone expect Jon Stewart to ask John Kerry "the tough questions?"
Because he recognizes that, for all the mock piety about just being a joke show, an ever increasing share of the populace get their news from TDS. And when you get a candidate one-on-one in a national forum, if you have any pride at all, you rise above Leno-esque sycophantery.

Further, it is equally clear that Jon doesn't understand Crossfire's format, because he bemoans the 'opportunities' they missed.

Taco John
10-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Because he recognizes that, for all the mock piety about just being a joke show, an ever increasing share of the populace get their news from TDS. And when you get a candidate one-on-one in a national forum, if you have any pride at all, you rise above Leno-esque sycophantery.

What does this have to do with pride? It has more to do with partisainship and your disappointment that Stewart didn't grill Kerry on Cambodia and Vietnam.

I've already been in the argument with Russ that Jon Stewart is an unabashed sycophant. I don't want to bother with that one again.

Sounds like a personal problem, to me though. Stewart has an obligation to his audience to deliver teh funny. That's it. He doesn't have any obligation to "rise above" and turn his format on its head. You might as well be asking SNL to turn their show into a debate format.

Cannibal
10-15-2004, 05:33 PM
What does this have to do with pride? It has more to do with partisainship and your disappointment that Stewart didn't grill Kerry on Cambodia and Vietnam.

I've already been in the argument with Russ that Jon Stewart is an unabashed sycophant. I don't want to bother with that one again.

Sounds like a personal problem, to me though. Stewart has an obligation to his audience to deliver teh funny. That's it. He doesn't have any obligation to "rise above" and turn his format on its head. You might as well be asking SNL to turn their show into a debate format.

Good point.

the Talking Can
10-15-2004, 05:33 PM

Further, it is equally clear that Jon doesn't understand Crossfire's format, because he bemoans the 'opprtunities' they missed.

Its a fake news show, of course they don't have any pride. How many different ways can he say it?

Jesus, people....if you want real news turn on a news channel like CNN, oh wait....

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 05:35 PM

I could care less. I have watched TDS since day one, and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not demanding hard hitting news, if it turned into Nightline, I'd probably tune out. But his mock disappointment in others is a little disingenuous.

Actually, the entire premise Jon espouses paints him as the loser.

"I have a show, you have a show. I interview politicians, you interview politicians. People look to me for their news, people look to your for their news. But I'm a schmuck, and I thought you were gonna be the grown up. Please be the grown up. We need a grown up around here, and it ain't gonna be me."

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Its a fake news show, of course they don't have any pride. How many different ways can he say it?

Jesus, people....if you want real news turn on a news channel like CNN, oh wait....
I don't have any problem with fake news. MoF, I'm probably the biggest fan on here of TDS. But it's a piss poor platform from which to chastise other news outlets.

Taco John
10-15-2004, 05:39 PM
I could care less. I have watched TDS since day one, and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not demanding hard hitting news, if it turned into Nightline, I'd probably tune out. But his mock disappointment in others is a little disingenuous.

"I have a show, you have a show. I interview politicians, you interview politicians. People look to me for their news, people look to your for their news. But I'm a schmuck, and I thought you were gonna be the grown up. Please be the grown up. We need a grown up around here, and it ain't gonna be me."

Yep. That's exactly where Jon Stewart wants to be. He makes his money on self deprication.

Taco John
10-15-2004, 05:40 PM
I don't have any problem with fake news. MoF, I'm probably the biggest fan on here of TDS. But it's a piss poor platform from which to chastise other news outlets.

I disagree with that. I think it's a fantastic platform, being that it is the other news outlets that are being lampooned.

Baby Lee
10-15-2004, 05:42 PM
I disagree with that. I think it's a fantastic platform, being that it is the other news outlets that are being lampooned.
Lampoon yes, chastise no.
Jon was trying to pull a Walter Cronkite, when he's really a Colin Quinn.

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2004, 06:03 PM
GOD DAMNIT!I read that in Emory's voice (he's the orange Plutonian). ROFL

RINGLEADER
10-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Jon Stewart's an ass if he thinks partisanship is bad. It's the best part of how our political system works - it keeps both sides in check and allows both sides to make a case that helps their guy and hurts the other. The American people aren't stupid Jon, and they don't need you playing referee to sort out what is legitimate, what is stupid drivel, and what is over the line or out of bounds.

Stewart has a show that's funny at times, but it's not exactly like he was probing or revelatory when he had Senator Kerry on his show. Before he starts throwing stones at other people (on the left or right) for not "doing their job" as HE defines it, perhaps he should spend more time looking at himself and trying to do better at HIS job.

What a knucklehead.

RINGLEADER
10-15-2004, 06:35 PM

I saw Dennis Miller's show (the one that was on HBO) once in person. All through the show I was fighting the urge to reach up about 18 inches from where I was sitting and yank him off the stage in the middle of his live monologue.

Miller's HBO show was great because it was edgy and unrestrained. His new show (which I watched once or twice at most) just wasn't as much fun.

DanT
10-15-2004, 06:35 PM

Did Jon Stewart say that?

Ash
10-15-2004, 06:46 PM
ATHF

I have to admit I am late to the party on athf I just recently in the past couple of months started tivoing it.It is now my favorite show the writing on that show is the best on television my favorite show so far is the one where the moonites trick meatwad,mastershake, and carl into an amway style scam.

"Two moonmasters in one household what are the odds"

I am going to buy season one and two on dvd are they as good as the ones Ive been watching the past two months?

David.
10-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Jon Stewart's an ass if he thinks partisanship is bad. It's the best part of how our political system works - it keeps both sides in check and allows both sides to make a case that helps their guy and hurts the other. The American people aren't stupid Jon, and they don't need you playing referee to sort out what is legitimate, what is stupid drivel, and what is over the line or out of bounds.

Stewart has a show that's funny at times, but it's not exactly like he was probing or revelatory when he had Senator Kerry on his show. Before he starts throwing stones at other people (on the left or right) for not "doing their job" as HE defines it, perhaps he should spend more time looking at himself and trying to do better at HIS job.

What a knucklehead.

hah, you can't be for real. Jon Stewart runs a show that they call the "FAKE NEWS" he doesn't pretend to be an accurate news/politics show that actually portrays truth. He's on friggin Comedy Central. While shows like crossfire are on CNN and pretend to be real politics. People (granted stupid people) base their ideology on what these talking heads spout out for ratings. It's completely unethical. Jon Stewart is in as much of a position to criticize the "media" as any american is. They're completely corrupting any real political process.

As for if Jon Stewart should of grilled John Kerry. I GUARANTEE you that Kerry's questions where made by Kerry's advisors, or else he would not have come on. It's not Stewarts JOB to grill politicians. He runs a fvcking comedy show.

David.
10-15-2004, 07:03 PM
I have to admit I am late to the party on athf I just recently in the past couple of months started tivoing it.It is now my favorite show the writing on that show is the best on television my favorite show so far is the one where the moonites trick meatwad,mastershake, and carl into an amway style scam.

"Two moonmasters in one household what are the odds"

I am going to buy season one and two on dvd are they as good as the ones Ive been watching the past two months?

greatest show on tv.

RINGLEADER
10-15-2004, 07:25 PM
hah, you can't be for real. Jon Stewart runs a show that they call the "FAKE NEWS" he doesn't pretend to be an accurate news/politics show that actually portrays truth. He's on friggin Comedy Central. While shows like crossfire are on CNN and pretend to be real politics. People (granted stupid people) base their ideology on what these talking heads spout out for ratings. It's completely unethical. Jon Stewart is in as much of a position to criticize the "media" as any american is. They're completely corrupting any real political process.

As for if Jon Stewart should of grilled John Kerry. I GUARANTEE you that Kerry's questions where made by Kerry's advisors, or else he would not have come on. It's not Stewarts JOB to grill politicians. He runs a fvcking comedy show.

You just slightly missed the point.

Stewart had no obligation to grill Kerry. But if he's going to go on CNN and tell two pundits that they're not doing their job right (which, although I'm not a real regular viewer of Crossfire, they seemed to be doing the last time I watched) then why not look at his "comedy show" as you call it and expect it to do something different too?

I thought Stewart's job on his fake news program was to be funny. Sounded like he was determined to be an ass on this program.

Heard Al Franken did something similar with Wolf Blitzer.

Just because CNN doesn't shill for John Kerry doesn't mean they're not doing their job (especially when you're talking about Crossfire which is just a bunch of partisan pundits each spinning their own talking points).

RINGLEADER
10-15-2004, 07:28 PM
They're completely corrupting any real political process.

Putting aside ABC News this morning when they changed a quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger that was negative of Kerry into one that was positive of him and CBS that relies on fake memos for multiple stories on its network and the New York Times who summed up the media bias quite nicely with their laughable "Fake, But Accurate" headline, I have a hard time seeing the media as "corrupting" to the process.

;)

Crush
10-15-2004, 09:40 PM
That was hilarious. ROFL

Taco John
10-15-2004, 10:36 PM

What a knucklehead.

Great! I'm glad to hear that you'll stop whining about the "Liberal Media" then. That's fantastic news.

Taco John
10-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Here's the clip:

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831&htv=12

Taco John
10-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Man, Jon roasted Tucker. He absolutely slaughtered him...

Taco Bell
10-15-2004, 11:55 PM

Jon was an asshole. The Daily Show has it's place; Crossfire has it's place....

What's with all Jon or Johns being assholes, Taco JOHN?

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Did Jon Stewart say that?
It is MY condensation of his argument, but I stand behind it as accurate.

Ash
10-16-2004, 06:56 PM

Bill hicks dead hero, John Stewart current day hero. I cant belive he called him a dick on his own show that is the best thing Ive seen on T.V.

I saw tucker carlson on bill mahers show two weeks ago and respected his opinion because he said he was not sure who he was voting for and that watching bush speak was like watching an old man cross a icey street,however John stweart exposed the both of them.

That was an awesome clip thanks for the link I had my whole family around the computer watching it,sighn of the times I guess.

"your 35 and you wear a bow tie?I know your not stupid because those are hard to tie". ROFL

Baby Lee
10-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Begala made a great observation yesterday. Jon comes on there bemoaning the coarseness of the conversation on Crossfire, and in under 3 minutes, he's calling Tucker a dick.

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 08:55 AM
The Daily Show was much better with Craig Kilborne, at least then it was funny.

Cochise
10-20-2004, 08:58 AM

I totally agree, I thought I was the only one who thought that.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Begala made a great observation yesterday. Jon comes on there bemoaning the coarseness of the conversation on Crossfire, and in under 3 minutes, he's calling Tucker a dick.

Paul Begala is just doing CYA...

OTOH Begala KNOWS Stewart was right and that is why he sat silently during the lambasting. OTOH he sat there while his partner and his buddy was being assaulted and did nothing to defend him... ROFL.

Maybe paralyzed by truth??? :hmmm:

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 09:57 AM

OTOH Begala KNOWS Stewart was right and that is why he sat silently during the lambasting. OTOH he sat there while his partner and his buddy was being assaulted and did nothing to defend him... ROFL.

Maybe shocked at the blatant hypocrisy? :hmmm:

NewChief
10-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Err, yah. That's why it went from flying way below the radar under Kilborne to being one of the most popular shows on Comedy Central's lineup under Stewart.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Maybe shocked at the blatant hypocrisy? :hmmm:

WHAT???

He was spanking both men...

Carlson was just the one who decided he could become a martyr for the methods his show employs.

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Err, yah. That's why it went from flying way below the radar under Kilborne to being one of the most popular shows on Comedy Central's lineup under Stewart.

Dude, thatís personal opinion. I have no idea, since I havenít cared to look at, what there ratings have done.
But along those lines, even Stewart admits that Comedy Channel is built on South Park.

Baby Lee
10-20-2004, 10:01 AM

WTF Truth? This was nothing more than Jerry Springer telling Maury Povich that his show was sh!tty. Or Andrew 'Dice' Clay lecturing Eddie Murphy to clean up his standup act.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:02 AM
WTF Truth? This was nothing more than Jerry Springer telling Maury Povich that his show was sh!tty.

Ah, the difference is that Jon Stewart's show is a comedy that does politics...while Crossfire is a political show that ends up being comical.

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
WHAT???

He was spanking both men...

Carlson was just the one who decided he could become a martyr for the methods his show employs.

So Iíve read, even going so far as to call one a ďdickĒ after complaining about the tone of political discussion. :hmmm:

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:06 AM
So Iíve read, even going so far as to call one a ďdickĒ after complaining about the tone of political discourse. :hmmm:

I saw the segment live.

His point was consistent about the political discourse.

He called Carlson a dick because he was being a cocky jerk vs. actually trying to listen to what Stewart was saying about their jobs vs. what he does on a political and satirical basis. He was pointing out that HIS show IS comedy but that Crossfire has become comical....

and the sad fact is that many people can't distinguish the two and why is that?

NewChief
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Dude, thatís personal opinion. I have no idea, since I havenít cared to look at, what there ratings have done.
But along those lines, even Stewart admits that Comedy Channel is built on South Park.

In all honesty, I wasn't sure whether its truly more popular right now or not, either.

I didn't actually watch the show much with Kilborn, and I don't watch it much with Stewart (I don't have/want cable); however, the show seems to be reaching a pretty high cultural buzz level at this point; maybe not to Chapelle level where every other person is walking around saying, "I'm Rick James, Bitch" and "Whaaaat!?!", but I do hear people talking about it constantly. They've also put out a book based on the Dailiy Show. Whether the ratings are better or not, I don't know, but it's definitely making more waves these days. Of course, that could also be because it's an election year.

I found some discussions of Kilborn vs. Stewart by googling, and the main thing I found was that many agree that Kilborn, as a comedian, is funnier while Stewart has sharper media critiques and better satire. :shrug:

Baby Lee
10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
In all honesty, I wasn't sure whether its truly more popular right now or not, either.

I didn't actually watch the show much with Kilborn, and I don't watch it much with Stewart (I don't have/want cable); however, the show seems to be reaching a pretty high cultural buzz level at this point; maybe not to Chapelle level where every other person is walking around saying, "I'm Rick James, Bitch" and "Whaaaat!?!", but I do hear people talking about it constantly. They've also put out a book based on the Dailiy Show. Whether the ratings are better or not, I don't know, but it's definitely making more waves these days. Of course, that could also be because it's an election year.

I found some discussions of Kilborn vs. Stewart by googling, and the main thing I found was that many agree that Kilborn, as a comedian, is funnier while Stewart has sharper media critiques and better satire. :shrug:
http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/10/18/20041018_125804_flash7.htm

NewChief
10-20-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/10/18/20041018_125804_flash7.htm

Okay, so he had a 7% drop in the last month. It does help explain the "buzz" somewhat, though. I'd say the drop is due to the increase in viewers he likely had during the conventions, who have now stopped tuning in. Tons of people, I think, were watching the convention then tuning into the Daily Show immediatley afterward (at least that's what all my stoner friends with cable were doing)

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Okay, so he had a 7% drop in the last month. It does help explain the "buzz" somewhat, though. I'd say the drop is due to the increase in viewers he likely had during the conventions, who have now stopped tuning in. Tons of people, I think, were watching the convention then tuning into the Daily Show immediatley afterward (at least that's what all my stoner friends with cable were doing)

Donít you mean, ďStoned slacker friendsĒ? Just tryín to help. ;)

David.
10-20-2004, 10:48 AM
kilborn sucks. Stewart is soo much funnier IMO