PDA

View Full Version : Is the media having a negative impact on Larry Johnson?

brent102fire
10-16-2004, 12:41 PM
I was thinking last night about this situation. Who is driving it and why is it such a hot topic? Why is the media making such a big deal out of this? The problem is, is that every time LJ opens his mouth, he seems to portray a disgruntled, selfish crybaby. Now, the media knows that he is vulnerable when he opens his mouth and I think that's why they keep wanting to interview him. What negative things is he going to say this time? Who is going to want to trade for a player that portrays that kind of an attitude? Here's a guy who has never really played much in the NFL who is bitchin' and complaining to the media. I really don't know of any coaches that would like one of their own players going to the media to whine. So, why would another team want to trade for a disgruntled 2nd year player who hasn't proven anything in the NFL except that when he's not happy, he bitches to the media about it. Everytime LJ interviews with the media, does it hurt LJ and his trade value? :hmmm:

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 01:44 PM
no way this is the medias fault. Look at how Priest handled his benching behind Jamal. Its how he comes off.

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 01:45 PM
no way this is the medias fault. Look at how Priest handled his benching behind Jamal. Its how he comes off.
Somebody go get the kid some Pampers.

unlurking
10-16-2004, 01:56 PM
True, if someone were paying me millions of dollars JUST to wear the uniform of a professional athlete and root for my team from the sidelines, I'd be perfecting a celebration dance for every time I got my paycheck!

Then again, my only athletic talent knocking back cold ones. :D

Bob Dole
10-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Vermeil should issue a gag order on the crybaby and fine him every time he takes his binky out long enough to speak.

Crush
10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Larry Johnson has officially become the worst draft pick in Chiefs history.

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM

two words for ya....Trezzle Jenkins :deevee:

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Todd Blackledge was drafted ahead of Dan Marino.

Crush
10-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Todd Blackledge was drafted ahead of Dan Marino.

I stand corrected.

Deberg_1990
10-16-2004, 02:14 PM

Paul Palmer and Ethan Horton.....

penchief
10-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Johnson is both a sensative young man and a talented running back. I for one am now on the trade Johnson bandwagon only because the kid deserves to be put in a situation in which he will have an opportunity. I have no doubt that he will have an NFL career. It is really a shame that he was drafted by the Chiefs. If the Titans had drafted him he would be doing as well and probably better than Chris Brown, IMO.

I just don't believe that Johnson has been given a fair opportunity for whatever reason. I do agree that he could have handled it better but I also belive that the situation has been made worse by Vermeil and the media.

IMO, it is a gross exaggeration to say that he is the worst pick in Chiefs history. The fact that he hasn't worked out is due to factors that have nothing to do with his talent level (ala, Jenkins, Jozwiak, or Blackledge).

Brock
10-16-2004, 03:15 PM
He must be a very weak-minded person. Too bad.

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Johnson is both a sensative young man and a talented running back. I for one am now on the trade Johnson bandwagon only because the kid deserves to be put in a situation in which he will have an opportunity. I have no doubt that he will have an NFL career. It is really a shame that he was drafted by the Chiefs. If the Titans had drafted him he would be doing as well and probably better than Chris Brown, IMO.

I just don't believe that Johnson has been given a fair opportunity for whatever reason. I do agree that he could have handled it better but I also belive that the situation has been made worse by Vermeil and the media.

IMO, it is a gross exaggeration to say that he is the worst pick in Chiefs history. The fact that he hasn't worked out is due to factors that have nothing to do with his talent level (ala, Jenkins, Jozwiak, or Blackledge).
Meenwhile, the muthafugga's game checks cash every fuggin week. So he needs to grow up, enjoy the ride and wait for an opportunity.

Nobody forced the POS to sign the contract. He signed it, we will use him how we see fit.

Skip Towne
10-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Meenwhile, the muthafugga's game checks cash every fuggin week. So he needs to grow up, enjoy the ride and wait for an opportunity.

Nobody forced the POS to sign the contract. He signed it, we will use him how we see fit, no matter how stupid it is.
Yeah.

penchief
10-16-2004, 03:33 PM

Nobody forced the POS to sign the contract. He signed it, we will use him how we see fit.

Agreed. I think this situation will help him grow up. He is proud and immature. But he also has shown enough talent to be given a fair opportunity to prove himself even if Priest is the man. There are ways to throw a talented player a bone and help him become an asset to the team. It appears that Vermeil has no intention of letting this guy contribute in even the smallest ways.

Count Alex's Losses
10-16-2004, 03:35 PM
If you ask me, this could all be rectified by giving Larry the ball a few times a game. If he doesn't produce maybe he will realize he needs to STFU and STFD.

Win-win situation for KC.

penchief
10-16-2004, 03:59 PM
If you ask me, this could all be rectified by giving Larry the ball a few times a game. If he doesn't produce maybe he will realize he needs to STFU and STFD.

Win-win situation for KC.

Agreed. Let him run behind the starting offensive line once in a while. Let him return some kick-offs which he does very well. Increase his trade value. Treat him like a first round pick. He's been treated like a pariah since day one.

I love Vermeil but I think he has been wrong in the way he has treated Johnson. He love's guys like Lawrence Phillips but wants to dog a guy like Johnson? Johnson will prove to have more talent than Phillips and has far fewer character flaws.

Brock
10-16-2004, 04:04 PM

lol

Count Alex's Losses
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM
He's been treated like a pariah since day one.

Not quite, but close. I'd really like to see the kid get some carries.

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Agreed. I think this situation will help him grow up. He is proud and immature. But he also has shown enough talent to be given a fair opportunity to prove himself even if Priest is the man. There are ways to throw a talented player a bone and help him become an asset to the team. It appears that Vermeil has no intention of letting this guy contribute in even the smallest ways.
Maybe Larry dissed DV by calling him a fag for crying all the time or something.

penchief
10-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Maybe Larry dissed DV by calling him a fag for crying all the time or something.

Maybe. But it seems that both Vermeil and Johnson are both highly sensative individuals. That may be the root of the problem which would suggest that maybe both have contributed to the situation.

All I know is that it is detrimental to the team to not try to incorporate his skills into the offense, IMO.

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Maybe. But it seems that both Vermeil and Johnson are both highly sensative individuals. That may be the root of the problem which would suggest that maybe both have contributed to the situation.

All I know is that it is detrimental to the team to not try to incorporate his skills into the offense, IMO.
This is the NFL, not Pop warner where there is some league rule that you have to play everyone.

Teh kid needs to change his attitude, then I bet he would get some reps.

No, in the long run, this is the best fuggin thing that could have happened to that hot headed primadona. He has gotten 2 years of schooling behind a great running back and a great coach, without running the risk of an injury. Perhaps his heart has grown a little because of the deal.

penchief
10-16-2004, 06:43 PM
This is the NFL, not Pop warner where there is some league rule that you have to play everyone.

Teh kid needs to change his attitude, then I bet he would get some reps.

No, in the long run, this is the best fuggin thing that could have happened to that hot headed primadona. He has gotten 2 years of schooling behind a great running back and a great coach, without running the risk of an injury. Perhaps his heart has grown a little because of the deal.

I didn't say it was. We got a guy that has running skills similar, IMO, to Robert Smith that doesn't get a whiff at being able to help this team. He does have the skills to contribute. Maybe someday he'll grow up but maybe he deserves a legitimate opportunity to succeed, as well.

I say give Dante a blow now and then and let LJ return some kick-offs. I also don't think it would be beyond Al Saunders' ability to design a few plays that create mismatches by having LJ and Priest in the offense at the same time.

whoman69
10-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah right. Priest is on pace for 400 carries this season. He is also 30 years old. If he cannot take the pounding this year and come back next, everyone will be screaming to high heaven because we stupidly traded LJ. The record of this organization in drafting RBs, I don't trust them to try to get another.

Nightfyre
10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Yeah right. Priest is on pace for 400 carries this season. He is also 30 years old. If he cannot take the pounding this year and come back next, everyone will be screaming to high heaven because we stupidly traded LJ. The record of this organization in drafting RBs, I don't trust them to try to get another.
Then why does Blaylock get all the touches when Holmes comes out? Blaylock has evidently passed LJ in the coaching staff's eyes. If that is the case, then what is wrong with trading him?

ChiefsFanatic
10-16-2004, 10:20 PM

Priest was an undrafted free agent. Johnson was a first round pick. There is a little difference there.

I heard the Moss interview on 610 the other day, and the hosts were arguing about it. I tried to call in, but could not get through. Johnson said he had family depending on him.

Well, he is making a lot of money. But that is now. What if he rides the bench here, and never really gets his chance in the NFL? I was going to ask the host about this scenario: You are hired by a radio station to host a radio show. But after you sign your contract, they decide that they want to have the current on-air personality host the show. You complain, but they tell you to shut up, grow up, and cash your checks. Your family depends on you, and after your contract is up, no other radio show will hire you because you were not good enough to get on the air at your last station. Now, even though you got paid for a couple of years, now your earning power is non-existent.

Would you still say you were treated fairly?

I don't think so.

whoman69
10-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Then why does Blaylock get all the touches when Holmes comes out? Blaylock has evidently passed LJ in the coaching staff's eyes. If that is the case, then what is wrong with trading him?
Because even though Blaylock is playing right now, he is truly not seen as a long term solution. If it were the case then Blaylock would have gotten more consideration from other teams when he was an FA the past off-season. Right now Blaylock can do the things better for our team than what LJ can, that is serve in a spot duty role to back up Priest. In a starting role, the talent level would shift that column to LJ. LJ also has baggage in DVs eyes because he did not want to use that pick on a RB. When it comes down to it though, if Priest goes down LJ will be the man.

Redcoats58
10-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Priest was an undrafted free agent. Johnson was a first round pick. There is a little difference there.

I heard the Moss interview on 610 the other day, and the hosts were arguing about it. I tried to call in, but could not get through. Johnson said he had family depending on him.

Well, he is making a lot of money. But that is now. What if he rides the bench here, and never really gets his chance in the NFL? I was going to ask the host about this scenario: You are hired by a radio station to host a radio show. But after you sign your contract, they decide that they want to have the current on-air personality host the show. You complain, but they tell you to shut up, grow up, and cash your checks. Your family depends on you, and after your contract is up, no other radio show will hire you because you were not good enough to get on the air at your last station. Now, even though you got paid for a couple of years, now your earning power is non-existent.

Would you still say you were treated fairly?

I don't think so.
This is an over-exaggeration. Even if LJ doesn't play at all with the Chiefs he will still get a shot in the NFL. Just because he was a first round pick does not mean he is guaranteed a spot on the roster. He still has to work hard like the other backs and if he can't beat out Derrick Blaylock then that is his own problem. he needs to concentrate on what he needs to do to be a starting calibre HB and stop his whining. Strap on your diaty and GO TO WORK LJ!!

Otter
10-16-2004, 11:33 PM
This guy has made virtualy no contribution to the team since he's been here but is as, if not more, talked about than Priest Holmes.

How long till he's on TV? You guys are building a monster stop now.

keg in kc
10-16-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd probably be frustrated if I were a 25-year old NFL runningback stuck on the bench, too, but I have no pity for him because of the way he's reacting to the whole situation. First, Priest effing Holmes is in front of you, a 31-year old small guy who's taken a frikkin beating for 3+ years. It's not something Chiefs fans want to hear, but odds are he'll be done before long. If Johnson had half a brain he'd realize that. Not to mention, if he had half a brain, he'd realize that Priest is an amazing success story and one of the best red zone backs, perhaps of all time. I'd be trying to learn from that, and goddamn grateful for the opportunity. Then again, maybe I'm not arrogant enough to be an NFL back, where apparently you're supposed to be handed opportunities rather than earn them, and know everything there is to know from day 1.

And, really, in the end, I think if Johnson was doing anything to prove himself invaluable to the squad, or to show he's an heir apparent, I'd imagine he'd be utilized in some way or another. It's like the old Mike Cloud argument, where people were wondering why he never got a chance. Well, my guess is that Larry, like Mike, isn't showing much on the practice field.

Which is a shame.

JMO. I hope it comes out alright in the end for all parties.

wazu
10-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Look at how Priest handled his benching behind Jamal.

Best point of the whole thread. Priest, a guy who fought and scrapped to even make the Ravens his rookie year, then rushed for 1,000 yards, only to get benched by the flashy new rookie Jamal Lewis, never complained.

He quitely and humbly went to work on improving himself, signed a low-dollar free agent contract with KC late in the off-season, and studied film of Marshall Faulk while training hard to perfect his craft.

Larry Johnson is just a crybaby first round pick who cries to his Dad on the phone every night and whines to the media about the team that has made him rich for doing nothing. No sympathy here.

Cormac
10-17-2004, 09:08 AM
And, really, in the end, I think if Johnson was doing anything to prove himself invaluable to the squad, or to show he's an heir apparent, I'd imagine he'd be utilized in some way or another. It's like the old Mike Cloud argument, where people were wondering why he never got a chance. Well, my guess is that Larry, like Mike, isn't showing much on the practice field.

Which is a shame.

Exactly!

Johnson should suck it up, continue to practice hard, and try to impress the coaches. I can't understand the "Johnson is being cheated by the coaching staff" argument. I think it's clear: he's not better than Blaylock. Blaylock gives us a better chance to advance the ball and keep the offense moving when Priest gets a breather. If DV could give Lawrence Phillips and Leonard Little other chances, I doubt he's keeping Johnson out of games purely for spite! That just doesn't make sense.

Having said that, I am surprised that Johnson doesn't even get on the field. I do think it should be simple enough to get him involved in a 2-back set with Priest or Blaylock for instance. Especially with our injuries to receivers early this season I expected we'd see a new offensive package with him involved. But we didn't. Clearly he has to work harder to win the coaches respect then.

Finally, let's NOT trade LJ. Firstly, he's worth almost NOTHING in a trade, IMO. Maybe a 4th round pick at this stage? Woohoo. Secondly, if Priest gets hurt or retires, we might really need him. If and when the diapers come off we'll see what ability he has. Until then he's more valuable to our bench than adding a draft pick far lower than what it cost us to get him. JMO. He may never pan out into anything, but I think there are advantages to having as much depth at RB as we do now. Blaylock can't get it done on his own, I suspect, so if Priest goes down I'd rather still have LJ as a darkhorse contributor.

JMO.