PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Pelosi rocks

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Loved her 2000 docu 'travels with george.' Now she's updated it with 'diary of a political tourist.'
Travels with george was handheld footage of her travels on the Bush campaign trail. Diary of a political tourist is handheld footage of her travels on the dem primary trail and subsequently hounding Kerry for an interview.
Alexandra is an avowed democrat, part of her birthright as daughter of Nancy Pelosi. But ironically, many credit her with giving a pleasant face to George as he interacted with her informally and with a constant good humor. Even Rove comes off as a human being. And in diary, she paints Kerry as a distant guy who quickly assumed a detached demeanor after his success in Iowa.
What's great about these two docus is that; 1) her lineage gets her up close with the people you see on TV and in press conferences, and 2) her intelligence leads her to film some very revealing moments. You see senators and key advisors eating hot dogs and potato salad off of paper plates. You see Kerry spend minutes kicking a rock on a deserted sidewalk in Iowa. You see Dean coming out of his plane and giving a triumphant wave as Alexandra pans to the empty tarmac and points out to Dean "who are you waving to? There's no one here." You are face to face, close-up as Leiberman wolfs down a deep fried twinkie.
One of the funniest, saddest clips was a bunch of kids yelling "we want Joe" and waving Leiberman placards. Alexandra just turned to one of the kids and said "Joe who?" And the kid just stared at her, clearly having no idea who 'Joe' was, though he had a Leiberman placard in his hands.
Another great clip was right after the Iowa caucus, she was in a hotel lobby in DC with Kerry, Rangel and Hillary. Hillary is talking up Kerry's credentials. Alexandra states into the camera "this is when you know you've hit the big time. The Clintons show up and talk about someone other than themselves."
It may sound like I'm [or the docu is] bashing Kerry, but both are very evenhanded. I was very touched by the clear passion of Dean's supporters at the rallies. And I think that people who suspect themselves caught up in the cult of personality on either side fo the aisle owe it to themselves to see both of these films.

Joe Seahawk
10-16-2004, 11:51 AM
I enjoyed "Travels with George" I'll certainly check it out.

I really do like Pelosi..

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 11:52 AM
I enjoyed "Travels with George" I'll certainly check it out.

I really do like Pelosi..
Nancy or Alexandra? Or both?

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 12:03 PM
THis thread is worthless without pics

Joe Seahawk
10-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Nancy or Alexandra? Or both?

Alexandra.. I'm no fan of Nancy..

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 12:19 PM
THis thread is worthless without pics
Not a lot out there. And she's not a run of the mill 'hottie.' More of a JV Lisa Loeb semi-cutie. But she rocks for her wit and intelligence.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/images/sys/pelosi_200_200.jpg
She's the one on the left ;)

Joe Seahawk
10-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Here's a pretty good review from the left coast.

http://www.nationalreview.com/seipp/seipp200410070833.asp

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 12:24 PM

has all of Pelosi's smart-ass charm which is sort of like Michael Moore's minus the dishonesty, agitprop, and, of course, about 200 pounds
Excellent summation.

Calcountry
10-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Excellent summation.
In response to your sig, it would be very interesting to ask him which way he turns a door nob when leaving a room.

Joe Seahawk
10-16-2004, 01:22 PM
We get our first glimpse of the candidate here when Pelosi approaches him to ask an innocuous question: "How's your speech?" And he can't manage a simple, direct answer to even that, turning to an aide and asking, "How's my speech?" as Teresa glares suspiciously at Pelosi and her camcorder.

:shake:

2bikemike
10-16-2004, 02:02 PM

I will agree with Baby Lee and say that was a pretty good summation.

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
surfergirl over at slate not so receptive.

Wonktoberfest continues! With three days to go till the third presidential debate, those in need of a political TV fix can revisit the early days of the campaign with Diary of a Political Tourist, a new documentary by Alexandra Pelosi that premieres tonight on HBO (8 p.m. ET). Pelosi, the daughter of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, followed the Democratic hopefuls through the 2003-2004 primary season, tagging along with the legitimate press at the candidates' photo ops: John Kerry plays ice hockey with staffers! Joe Lieberman eats a fried Twinkie at a county fair! Pelosi's stated objective was to "capture the dance" between the press corps and the candidates. Unfortunately, with her facile sarcasm and healthy dose of self-love, all she captures is a portrait of the artist as a narcissistic twit.

Though she's presumably a Democrat, Pelosi and George W. Bush have quite a bit in common. Both are the entitled scions of political families who have managed to parlay their access into successful careers, despite a remarkably tin ear for the language of their chosen profession. But if Pelosi's powerful family can buy her access, it can't make her subjects take her seriously. For 82 minutes, we watch as the filmmaker traipses to press events, accosting the harried candidates with coy, schticky questions that make you cringe in embarrassment for all concerned. "If Gore is boring and Bush is dumb, what are you?" she asks Kerry on his campaign plane. To his credit, he not only refuses to answer, but rejects the terms of the question. Finally, Kerry grabs the camera and turns it on Pelosi herself, asking her, "Are you a caricature of this whole process?" " I'm becoming one, I guess," she responds.

Because the candidates are so visibly uninterested in talking to her, Pelosi is at times reduced to practicing her snark on laughably easy targets. "We want Joe! We want Joe!" chants a little boy at a rally for Joe Lieberman. "Joe who?" Pelosi asks the child, and seems to relish leaving the camera on his face for a long moment as he blinks in confusion. Those damn 5-year-olds. So ignorant about the electoral process.

If nothing else, Diary of a Political Tourist offers an unintentional and chilling glimpse into the far-reaching power of nepotism. Congresswoman Pelosi must not only have clout among her fellow Democrats. She must know someone really important at HBO.

Baby Lee
10-16-2004, 03:28 PM
You see Dean coming out of his plane and giving a triumphant wave as Alexandra pans to the empty tarmac and points out to Dean "who are you waving to? There's no one here."
It bothered me that this wasn't quite clear, the way I wrote it. The area of the tarmac to which Dean directed his triumphant wave was deserted. He was doing it for the benefit of the remaining phalanx of cameras camped at the base of the steps to the airplane.