PDA

View Full Version : Well, I could have predicted this one.......

chiefqueen
10-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Today's Kansas City Star endorses Kerry for President.

beavis
10-17-2004, 09:40 AM
...and dozens of peoples opinions are swayed. :rolleyes:

memyselfI
10-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Wow, I might have to start subscribing to the fishwrap again seeing that it might be worth more than floor cover for dog pizz!!! :thumb:

Baby Lee
10-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Wow, I might have to start subscribing to the fishwrap again seeing that it might be worse more than floor cover for dog pizz!!! :thumb:
Drunk? At a quarter of ten on a Sunday morning?

memyselfI
10-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Drunk? At a quarter of ten on a Sunday morning?

Seems the KC Star was not alone:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000673213

NEW YORK Senator John Kerry picked up a raft of newspaper endorsements on Sunday, widening his lead over President George W. Bush in this area.

Kerry gained the editorial backing of at least 22 papers, with Bush winning the support of just five, giving Kerry the lead by 37-18 in E&P's exclusive tally. He has many more large papers on his side, maintaining his "circulation edge" at about 4-1: approximately 8 million to 2 million (we will post a complete tally later today).

Among his new supporters were three papers that had backed Bush in 2000: the Bradenton Herald in Florida, the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colorado and the Daily-Herald in Arlington Heights, Ill.

However, Bush did pick up the endorsement of the Chicago Tribune and The Dallas Morning News in his home state.

Among the papers endorsing Kerry today were newspapers in key swing states: The Miami Herald, St. Petersburg Times, Palm Beach Post, Daytona Beach News Journal and Bradenton Herald in Florida; the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in Minnesota; the Daily Camera in Colorado, and the Dayton Daily News and Akron Beacon-Journal in Ohio.

He also got the nod from major papers in states already friendly to him: The New York Times, The Boston Globe, San Jose Mercury-News, San Francisco Chronicle, Sacramento Bee and Modesto Bee.

Other papers backing him were the Kansas City Star, the Roanoke (Va.) Times, the Grand Fords (ND) Herald, Charlotte Observer, and the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader. Clearly, many papers in the Knight Ridder and McClatchy chains have rallied to his side.

Besides the Dallas paper, Bush won The Freelance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va., the York Daily Record in Pennsylvania and the New York Sun.

The Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal, which has backed Republicans since 1968, declared it would not endorse this year, given the choices.

Many of the editorials backing Kerry denounced the incumbent in unusually harsh language. The Miami Herald accused Bush of "narrow partisanship." Up the coast, the Daytona paper cited his "embarrassing performance." The Sacramento Bee said, "The nation has paid a steep price for Bush's arrogance - mounting deficits and debt at home, loss of standing and effectiveness abroad...." For The New York Times, his presidency has simply been "disastrous."

In supporting Bush, the York Daily Record nevertheless raised a concern: "We hope President Bush will renew his commitment to compassionate conservatism on domestic issues. The war on terrorism should be no excuse to impose a hard-line conservative agenda on such a closely divided citizenry."

The Chicago Tribune, in backing Bush, also seemed a bit torn: "There is much the current president could have done differently over the last four years. There are lessons he needs to have learned. And there are reasons--apart from the global perils likely to dominate the next presidency--to recommend either of these two good candidates."

The Dallas Morning News was more enthusiastic, however, declaring: "Americans want and need a president with a backbone steeled by courage and a heart tendered by compassion." The editors said they were "disappointed" by his failure to rein in domestic spending, the deaths of American soldiers in Iraq, and strained relationships abroad. But "this is not the time for America to go wobbly," they added. "This is not the time for Americans to abandon their president."

Uncle_Ted
10-17-2004, 11:45 AM
[In my best Jon Stewart voice] Bush will not forget the disloyalty of these terrorist-loving rags ... they will RUE this day!!!

[we also still don't have a good smiley for sarcasm, do we?]

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Seems the KC Star was not alone:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000673213

NEW YORK Senator John Kerry picked up a raft of newspaper endorsements on Sunday, widening his lead over President George W. Bush in this area.

Kerry gained the editorial backing of at least 22 papers, with Bush winning the support of just five, giving Kerry the lead by 37-18 in E&P's exclusive tally. He has many more large papers on his side, maintaining his "circulation edge" at about 4-1: approximately 8 million to 2 million (we will post a complete tally later today)...."

But, the press isn't Liberal, right? :rolleyes:

Cochise
10-17-2004, 04:26 PM
The mainstream media endorses sKerry.

In other news, water is wet, it's dark out at night, and in the morning the world is illuminated by a large glowing orb.

Hel'n
10-17-2004, 06:42 PM
I think, for all the polls show, that Kerry is going to win... There is a 4-5% electorate still with indecision... and when they go to the ballot box they'll ask if they really want 4 more years of Bush...

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2004, 10:36 PM
The mainstream media endorses sKerry.

In other news, water is wet, it's dark out at night, and in the morning the world is illuminated by a large glowing orb.

As Gomer would say, "Suprize, Suprize, Suprize!" :rolleyes:

nychief
10-17-2004, 10:46 PM
This is pretty amazing considering it is a Knight-ridder paper.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2004, 10:48 PM
This is pretty amazing considering it is a Knight-ridder paper.

You don't read the Star do ya? It's called Pravda by locals...

Donger
10-17-2004, 10:52 PM
I think, for all the polls show, that Kerry is going to win... There is a 4-5% electorate still with indecision... and when they go to the ballot box they'll ask if they really want 4 more years of Bush...

I want a shiny, new, bright red Ferrari to be waiting for me tomorrow morning.

Doesn't mean it will happen.

The electorate is clearly trending towards Bush. Barring a serious gaffe or bad news, Bush will win by 4-5%.

Just my opinion. But, it's my opinion based on data, not hope.

nychief
10-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Knight-Ridder is thought of as pretty conservative in general.

Inspector
10-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Seems to me that ALL media only supports the republican/democrat party.

But, I admit, I don't pay a lot of attention to the media, but from what I have seen, this seems true - to me anyway.

nychief
10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Seems to me that ALL media only supports the republican/democrat party.

But, I admit, I don't pay a lot of attention to the media, but from what I have seen, this seems true - to me anyway.

too true.

SNR
10-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Other papers backing him were the Kansas City Star, the Roanoke (Va.) Times, the Grand Fords (ND) Herald, Charlotte Observer, and the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader. Clearly, many papers in the Knight Ridder and McClatchy chains have rallied to his side
First of all,

IT'S GRAND FORKS YOU FETID PILES OF COMPOST! AS IN THE FORKS I'M GOING TO STICK IN YOUR EYES IF YOU F*CK UP MY TOWN NAME AGAIN!!!!

Oh, yeah, and the paper is bullshit anyway. I only read it for the comics. All my news I get on the internet.