PDA

View Full Version : I was talking politics with a few of my friends last night...

|Zach|
10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Alot of us were just talking about stuff in general and who was voting and which way. It was interesting because a common theme come up and it is something I have always been curious about.

Why is it the senators and members of the house in general are not held accountable when it comes to missing votes? I am sure it will turn into this but its not a Kerry thing. Kerry is an example of this but is not by any means the only one. This is more so a criticism of the system.

What good is it to vote for someone if they only come to vote half the time and they dodge important votes. Why is it that more people don't speak out against attendance problem in our congress. When I get out of college and get a job in the career of my choosing. If I don't show up half the time my ass is going to fired....fast...

Am I off base in my asessment? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Phobia
10-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Sure - there's something that can be done. It would require that we vastly modify our political system. Nobody wants to take on that task, so it will never happen without some kind of forceful coup, IMO. Things will have to get really, really bad before that happens, though.

KCWolfman
10-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Look at Gephardt's voting record. This is not isolated to Senators.

Sure, we could pass a law demanding a certain percentage of vote participation, but it would have to be passed by the House and Senate. I don't see that happening.

KCWolfman
10-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Of course, another method is to start using the opponents total voting percentage as a point of contention.

|Zach|
10-17-2004, 08:04 PM
What a shame...this is a big deal to me becuause I think the power of the president is very very over rated.

He has a lot of power in terms of war and of course in appointing the supreme court. But other than that our president is a unic.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Alot of us were just talking about stuff in general and who was voting and which way. It was interesting because a common theme come up and it is something I have always been curious about.

Why is it the senators and members of the house in general are not held accountable when it comes to missing votes? I am sure it will turn into this but its not a Kerry thing. Kerry is an example of this but is not by any means the only one. This is more so a criticism of the system.

What good is it to vote for someone if they only come to vote half the time and they dodge important votes. Why is it that more people don't speak out against attendance problem in our congress. When I get out of college and get a job in the career of my choosing. If I don't show up half the time my ass is going to fired....fast...

Am I off base in my asessment? Is there anything that can be done about this?

You should start a 527.

I'd contribute.

Then you could run ads pointing out their attendance and voting record. Keep it non-partisan - let the votes (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

|Zach|
10-17-2004, 08:34 PM
You should start a 527.

I'd contribute.

Then you could run ads pointing out their attendance and voting record. Keep it non-partisan - let the votes (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.
I just wonder why there hasn't been more public outcry over this...

Esp with young people who care about politics and want to make in their lifes work. Even for politics this reeks of shit.

Tell me about a 527.