PDA

View Full Version : Putin urges voters to back Bush

Donger
10-18-2004, 10:54 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10/18/putin.iraq/index.html

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says terrorist attacks in Iraq are aimed at preventing the re-election of U.S. President George W. Bush and that a Bush defeat "could lead to the spread of terrorism to other parts of the world."

Putin, speaking Central Asian Cooperation Organization summit in Tajikistan Monday, made his most overt comments of support so far for the re-election of Bush for a second term.

"Any unbiased observer understands that attacks of international terrorist organizations in Iraq, especially nowadays, are targeted not only and not so much against the international coalition as against President Bush," Putin said.

"International terrorists have set as their goal inflicting the maximum damage to Bush, to prevent his election to a second term.

"If they succeed in doing that, they will celebrate a victory over America and over the entire anti-terror coalition," Putin said.

"In that case, this would give an additional impulse to international terrorists and to their activities, and could lead to the spread of terrorism to other parts of the world."

Putin noted that American voters will not decide the election just on Iraq.

"Because of this we must take a realistic approach and be prepared for any development of events," he said. "We respect any choice the American people will make."

President Putin made it clear Russia remained opposed to the war in Iraq.

"Today, our views on that differ from the views of President Bush," he said.

Hel'n
10-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Putin is the man abolishing press freedoms and seeking centralized control of the regional governors...

Do you really think Putin endorsing Bush is a good thing?

KCWolfman
10-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Putin is the man abolishing press freedoms and seeking centralized control of the regional governors...

Putin is the man who supports Kerry in his opposition to Iraq.

Do you really think Putin endorsing no action in Iraq is a good thing?

Waffle timer set to go off in 3 minutes.

penchief
10-18-2004, 11:11 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Putin is reverting back to totalitarian ways in Russia and someone actually thinks his support is a good thing?

What it should do is wake people up because Putin is only taking to the extreme what Bush has done here. Little by little, other countries are shooting first and asking questions later. This president has started a very dangerous trend in which terrorism has now become the justification for other countries to boldly pursue self-serving and oppressive measures all in the name of self-defense.

Hel'n
10-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Putin is the man who supports Kerry in his opposition to Iraq.

Do you really think Putin endorsing no action in Iraq is a good thing?

Waffle timer set to go off in 3 minutes.

Waffle timer just went off...

Didn't the article say Putin urges voters to support Bush????

:rolleyes:

Donger
10-18-2004, 11:16 AM

I don't know.

However, since they are an allie on the WoT, I just thought this deserved mention.

KCWolfman
10-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Waffle timer just went off...

Didn't the article say Putin urges voters to support Bush????

Yes it did. And you stated disdain for Putin for his actions in his own country and somehow tied that to the fact that he stated GWB is the best person for the job in Iraq.

I merely pointed out if you plan to use such a lame tactic you should take ALL data into consideration and apply it evenly. As Putin states going in Iraq is wrong, doesn't he agree with Kerry? And isn't the man agreeing with Kerry "abolishing press freedoms and seeking centralized control of the regional governors".

KCWolfman
10-18-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't know.

However, since they are an allie on the WoT, I just thought this deserved mention.
Exactly!!!

This is a man who states going into Iraq was wrong and further states he does not see eye to eye with our POTUS today. But he is honest enough to look at a global picture and state this is the best man for the job, even if he disagrees with us being there.

Duck Dog
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Exactly!!!

This is a man who states going into Iraq was wrong and further states he does not see eye to eye with our POTUS today. But he is honest enough to look at a global picture and state this is the best man for the job, even if he disagrees with us being there.

Now that's a damn good point.

mlyonsd
10-18-2004, 12:34 PM

Bush has Putin's endorsement, Kerry has Bin Laden's.

I'd take Putin anyday.

WilliamTheIrish
10-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Why does Putin hate America? TM

Mr. Kotter
10-18-2004, 12:38 PM

I'd take Putin anyday.

Nice.

And on the money. :clap:

Cochise
10-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Putin is the man abolishing press freedoms

She said while calling the airing of "Stolen Honor" illegal.

(with apologies to kcwolfman)

KC Jones
10-18-2004, 01:04 PM
I thought we were supposed to throw out the opinions of them ferners, or even use them to gauge what is in our best interests in going against their support of any of our candiates.

but wait, a clever ferner would put the pick the candidate he wants to lose, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate Putin did not choose. But Putin must have known I was not a great fool, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the candidate in front of me.

You only think I guessed wrong - that's what's so funny. I switched parties when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.

[thump]

|Zach|
10-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Kerry has Bin Laden's.

:rolleyes:

Radar Chief
10-18-2004, 01:13 PM
I thought we were supposed to throw out the opinions of them ferners, or even use them to gauge what is in our best interests in going against their support of any of our candiates.

I was gonna vote Bushy no matter what Putin has to say, but find it funny that the “world opinion” people have nothing to say ‘bout this.

but wait, a clever ferner would put the pick the candidate he wants to lose, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate Putin did not choose. But Putin must have known I was not a great fool, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the candidate in front of me.

You only think I guessed wrong - that's what's so funny. I switched parties when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.

[thump]

Been a while since I’ve seen a Princes Bride reference.
“Why are you smiling?”
“Because I’m not left handed either.”

KCWolfman
10-18-2004, 02:13 PM

[thump]
Inconthievable!!!

Donger
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Inconthievable!!!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Radar Chief
10-18-2004, 02:20 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Donger
10-18-2004, 02:32 PM
My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

STOP SAYING THAT!

Hel'n
10-18-2004, 02:40 PM

I'd take Putin anyday.

Really? Link please.

Loki
10-18-2004, 04:07 PM
STOP SAYING THAT!

Don't bother me with trifles. After twenty years, at last my father's soul will be at peace. There will be blood tonight!

HC_Chief
10-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Who cares what Putin says?

Actions speak louder than words. Send a few Shock armies into Iraq and Chechnia, <i>then</i> I'll know you're serious in supporting the WoT. Until then, STFU

2bikemike
10-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I thought 4 outta 5 Foreign leaders preferred Kerry?

Or was that 4 outta 5 dentists preferred Trident?

mlyonsd
10-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Really? Link please.

Of course I don't have a link, but thanks for responding so I can clarify. OBL would jump at the chance to behead Kerry just like any American. But from OBL's perspective it's easy to understand, really.

OBL knows that the war he is fighting will only be won after he is dead and that he cannot achieve any personal benefits in this lifetime. He's no idiot.

So what is he trying to accomplish? IMO he doesn't believe in our way of life. As an example, to him women voting or having a say in everyday life is as absurd as us thinking they don't. To think that someone as lowly as a woman has the same right to say and decide events is proposterous to him. Democracy and freedom to him are scary and terrible things. He has taken it upon himself to defeat them.

That understood, how does he achieve his goal? Like I said he's no dummy. He understands that the only way to defeat a democracy is to beat us at our own game.

He's betting on the idea that we will become complacent towards his fight. He understands that the American culture can be worn down if the fight is considered unworthy or non-winnable. If he can drag it out long enough the American public will eventually grow weary of the effort and leave his part of the world alone.

All that being said, which candidate for President is resolute in his beliefs and which isn't? Unfortunately Kerry has proven OBL right in that the idea of reducing terrorism to a "nuisance" is acceptable. I really don't think Kerry believes that but for him to even say it just as a prerequisite of getting elected shows a character flaw.

So IMO OBL is rooting for Kerry. He will consider a Kerry victory partially his victory, because the erosion of our will is beneficial to his cause.

DanT
10-18-2004, 11:14 PM
The current issue of The American Conservative magazine has a good analysis of Bin Laden's strategy and how the American government has advanced it.
October 25, 2004 issue

The War Bin Laden Wanted

How the U.S. played into the terrorist’s plan

By Paul W. Schroeder (http://www.amconmag.com/2004_10_25/feature.html)

Taco John
10-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Of course Putin wants us to back Bush. Anything to weaken America...

KCWolfman
10-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Of course Putin wants us to back Bush. Anything to weaken America...
Sure, that's the reason. After all, his mad plan of retaking Mother Russia and controlling Eastern Europe should only take another 40 years, then he will be primed to invade the US.

Pants
10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm not going to read the arguments...

Putin, an ex- hardcore KGB officer, loves seeing the US getting politically and economically weaker under Bush.

KCWolfman
10-19-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm not going to read the arguments...

Putin, an ex- hardcore KGB officer, loves seeing the US getting politically and economically weaker under Bush.
That would explain why he didn't support us going into Iraq

Taco John
10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Go ahead an trust Putin. I sure as hell don't.

That guy is no friend of America.

Pants
10-19-2004, 01:03 AM
That would explain why he didn't support us going into Iraq

No, it just gave him a reason to not get his country into a complete clusterfvck. Now he's just enjoying what he is seeing.

KCWolfman
10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Go ahead an trust Putin. I sure as hell don't.

That guy is no friend of America.
I agree, no more than France or Germany.

KCWolfman
10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
No, it just gave him a reason to not get his country into a complete clusterfvck. Now he's just enjoying what he is seeing.
See my statement below.

Pants
10-19-2004, 02:00 AM
**BUMP**

What statement?