PDA

View Full Version : Daily Endorsement Tally: Kerry Picks up 30 Papers, Widens Lead

Hel'n
10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
By Greg Mitchell
Editor and Publisher

Sunday 17 October 2004

New York - Sen. John Kerry picked up a raft of newspaper endorsements Sunday, widening his lead over President George W. Bush in this area.

Kerry gained the editorial backing of at least 30 papers while Bush won the support of 17 that we know of, giving Kerry the overall lead by 45-30 in E&P's exclusive tally. Kerry has more large papers on his side, maintaining his "circulation edge" at nearly 3-1, with approximately 8.7 million circ to Bush's 3.3 million. (We will post a complete tally Monday.)

Bush did pick up several major papers this weekend, earning the endorsements of the Chicago Tribune, The Arizona Republic, Denver's Rocky Mountain News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, The Indianapolis Star, and The Dallas Morning News.

Among Kerry's new supporters were five papers that had backed Bush in 2000: the Bradenton Herald in Florida, the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo., the Columbia Daily Tribune in Missouri, the Daily Herald in Arlington Heights, Ill., and The Muskegon (Mich.) Chronicle.

Three other papers that backed Bush in 2000 announced they would not support either candidate this year: The Tampa Tribune, the Wichita Falls Times Record News in Texas, and the Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal.

In addition to the big-city papers already mentioned, Bush also won backing from the Omaha World-Herald, The Grand Rapids (Mich.) Press, The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va., the York (Pa.) Daily Record, The Repository in Canton, Ohio, The Times Reporter in New Philadelphia, Ohio, The New York Sun, the El Paso Times, and Las Cruces Sun-News in New Mexico, and The News-Gazette in Champaign-Urbana, Ill.

Among the papers endorsing Kerry today were several in the key swing state of Florida: The Miami Herald, the St. Petersburg Times, South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Today in Melbourne, The Palm Beach Post, the Daytona Beach News-Journal, and, as already mentioned, the Bradenton Herald. In other battleground states, he picked up the Star-Tribune in Minneapolis and the Duluth (Minn.) News Tribune, the Dayton Daily News and Akron Beacon Journal in Ohio, and, as previously mentioned, the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo.

Kerry also got the nod from major papers in states already friendly to him: The New York Times, The Boston Globe, San Jose Mercury-News, San Francisco Chronicle, The Sacramento Bee, The Fresno Bee, and The Modesto Bee.

Other papers backing the Democrat were The Kansas City Star, The Roanoke (Va.) Times, the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald, The Charlotte (N.C.) Observer, the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader, the Mail Tribune in Medford, Ore., and The Press Democrat in Santa Rosa, Calif. Clearly, many papers in the Knight Ridder and McClatchy chains have rallied to Kerry's side.

Many of the editorials backing Kerry denounced the incumbent in unusually harsh language. The Miami Herald accused Bush of "narrow partisanship." Up the coast, the Daytona paper cited his "embarrassing performance." The Sacramento Bee said, "The nation has paid a steep price for Bush's arrogance - mounting deficits and debt at home, loss of standing and effectiveness abroad." For The New York Times, his presidency has simply been "disastrous."

In supporting Bush, The Indianapolis Star nevertheless called both candidates "unsatisfying" and the Chicago Tribune also seemed a bit torn: "There is much the current president could have done differently over the last four years. There are lessons he needs to have learned. And there are reasons - apart from the global perils likely to dominate the next presidency - to recommend either of these two good candidates."

The Dallas Morning News was more enthusiastic, however, declaring: "Americans want and need a president with a backbone steeled by courage and a heart tendered by compassion." It added, "This is not the time for America to go wobbly. ... This is not the time for Americans to abandon their president."

But The Tampa Tribune, which has long backed Republicans, declared that it found itself in "a position unimaginable four years ago" when it "strongly endorsed" the president. While it has no deep affection for Kerry, the paper noted, it expressed disappointment in Bush and said it would "not be lending our voice to the chorus of conservative-leaning newspapers endorsing the president's re-election. ... But we are unable to endorse President Bush for re- election because of his mishandling of the war in Iraq, his record deficit spending, his assault on open government and his failed promise to be a 'uniter not a divider' within the United States and the world."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/101904L.shtml

Bearcat2005
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
WOW!! A majority of papers support Kerry, I didn't see that coming! And the case your trying to make is???? Ohh that a majority of papers have a liberal outlook on the issues! Thanks for "enlightining" me! :thumb:

Cochise
10-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Another day, another thread, and still no one gives a shit.

Bwana
10-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Spam much?

|Zach|
10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
WOW!! A majority of papers support Kerry, I didn't see that coming! And the case your trying to make is???? Ohh that a majority of papers have a liberal outlook on the issues! Thanks for "enlightining" me! :thumb:
Why did you dodge the post from the other thread about your experience with liberal instructors in college?

Cochise
10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Spam much?

Daily Spam Tally: Hel'n is up to 20 threads in 3 days. Can she break the record?

Calcountry
10-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Kerry picked up 30 papers and wiped his ass with them.

Bearcat2005
10-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Why did you dodge the post from the other thread about your experience with liberal instructors in college?
First off I didn't "dodge" anything so dont't make that assumption. I don't a lot of time to spend on the net, b/c Im either in class, or at meetings! So sorry if I missed that but please don't make that assumption!

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Kerry picked up 30 papers and wiped his ass with them.
This is the same person who will later come back and say there is no liberal media bias. jaz you paying attention?

Donger
10-19-2004, 01:44 PM
This is the same person who will later come back and say there is no liberal media bias. jaz you paying attention?

I thought jAZ was dead?

Soupnazi
10-19-2004, 01:47 PM
100% of the residents of my home agree that Kerry sucks.

Hel'n
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Daily Spam Tally: Hel'n is up to 20 threads in 3 days. Can she break the record?

I'm trying!!!!!!

;)

What is the record?

And do I get a prize?

Brock
10-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Good thing newspapers don't vote.

Cochise
10-19-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm trying!!!!!!

;)

What is the record?

And do I get a prize?

Yes, a night of passion with duhnise.

Mr. Kotter
10-19-2004, 02:33 PM
But the media ISN'T liberal, right.... :rolleyes:

Despite the fact the public is evenly split, media endorsements are running overwhelmingly in favor of the liberal candidate?

Suprise, surprise, surprise. :banghead:

Just remember, the Media is NOT liberal.... :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
10-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes, a night of passion with duhnise.

ROFL