PDA

View Full Version : Oops. PLO endorses Kerry...

Stinger
10-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Arafat Backs Kerry, Israelis Favor Bush
By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com Pacific Rim Bureau Chief
October 19, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Relying on the traditional support of Jewish voters, the Kerry-Edwards campaign may not welcome news from the Middle East on how the parties to the Arab-Israeli conflict view the election.

Yasser Arafat's Palestinian Authority on Monday gave its first public indication of which candidate it would like to see in the White House next year.

"If [President] Bush wins, he said he would renew efforts to resume the peace process," PA foreign minister Nabil Shaath told the BBC in London. "However, with the staff that surrounds him and with his current opinions, it doesn't look promising."

Under a Kerry administration, however, "it would be likely that several staff members during Clinton's administration would return," Shaath said. "That would be a good thing, but it could take at least a year before a policy is formulated."

Elaborating on the PA's unhappiness with the incumbent, the Palestine Media Center -- an official PA institution -- said Palestinians held the Bush administration responsible for Israel's isolation of Arafat since the end of 2001.

"Bush's refusal to deal with Arafat was interpreted by Palestinians as another "green light'' for Israel to impose and to maintain the siege on Arafat," it said.

The comments add substance to an assessment last July by Israel's military intelligence chief, Major-General Aharon Ze'evi, who was quoted as telling the cabinet: "Arafat is now waiting for the month of November in the hope that President Bush will be defeated in the presidential election and turned out of his office."

The PA view on the election contrasts sharply with that of Israeli leaders, who have echoed the words spoken by former Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in Washington in 2002: "There has never been a greater friend of Israel in the White House than President George W. Bush."

Last week, in a coordinated survey of opinions in 10 key countries in Europe, Asia and North America, Israel was one of only two countries -- the other was Russia -- where poll respondents favored Bush over Kerry (by 50 percentage points to 24).

Other polls in Israel have indicated that a majority of Israelis are grateful to Bush for going to war against Iraq and toppling Saddam Hussein, a sworn enemy of the Jewish state.

'Force of habit'

Jewish organizations in the U.S. say Jewish voters base their choice largely on domestic issues -- and most are liberals.

Writing in the Boston Globe last month, columnist Jeff Jacoby attributed Jewish loyalty to the Democratic ticket to historical factors.

"In the 19th and early 20th centuries, waves of Jewish immigrants from Europe, where the most anti-Semitic elements of society were often the most conservative, brought with them an intense aversion to right-wing politics -- and an appreciation for the left, which they associated with emancipation and equality."

Jacoby argued that the U.S. in 2004 was a very different country, and said, "American Jews owe it to themselves to base their political loyalty on something stronger than force of habit."

Israel is a very important factor for American Jews.

In its annual opinion survey, published last month, the American Jewish Committee (AJC) found that 75 percent of Jewish respondents felt "very close" or "fairly close" to Israel.

Seventy-four percent agreed that "caring about Israel is a very important part of my being a Jew."

Respondents in the AJC survey backed Kerry over Bush by 69 points to 24.

That support for the Democrats constitutes a drop-off from the last three elections. President Clinton won 80 percent of the Jewish vote in 1992 and 78 percent in 1996. In 2000, Al Gore won 79 percent of the Jewish vote while Bush only garnered 19 percent.

The Republican Jewish Coalition has been drawing attention to some other recent endorsements of Kerry, which it says Jewish voters should be worried about - those of the Arab-American PAC and the Muslim-American PAC.

"Clearly these groups do not support President Bush because of his unwavering support for Israel and his relentless war against Islamic terrorists," RJC executive director Matthew Brooks said in a statement Monday.

"The endorsements of John Kerry by these two anti-Israel groups speaks volumes and should serve as a warning to Jewish Americans who think John Kerry is on their side."

Brooks noted that Kerry called Arafat a "statesman" in his 1997 book, The New War. ("Terrorist organizations with specific political agendas may be encourage by Yasser Arafat's transformation from outlaw to statesman," Kerry wrote.)

Bush has pointedly refused to invite Arafat to the White House during the past four years, a far cry from the days of the last Democratic administration, at the end of which Time magazine reported that "President Clinton has held more tete-a-tetes with the Palestinian leader than any other world leader during his eight years in office."

On its website, the National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC) presents what is says are the candidates' records on Israel.

On Arafat, it notes that Kerry said last March that the PA chairman had "proved himself to be irrelevant," but it makes no reference to the 1997 assessment of Arafat as a statesman.

As for Bush, the NJDC noted that Bush in 2002 was quoted as saying he would not label Arafat a terrorist because he "has agreed to a peace process." The council made no reference to the fact Bush made Arafat persona non grata at the White House.

On Israel's security fence, the NJDC highlighted the Bush administration's concerns about the route of the barrier rather than its support for Israel's right to build it.

It also ignored that fact that the administration opposed the right of the International Court of Justice to rule on the matter.

On the other hand, it cited comments by Kerry in February and April 2004 showing that he "strongly supported Israel's right to build" the barrier.

The NJDC made no mention of another Kerry quote on the fence, last October, when he told an Arab American audience the fence was "provocative," "counterproductive" and a "barrier to peace."

LINK (http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=%5CForeignBureaus%5Carchive%5C200410%5CFOR20041019a.html)

stevieray
10-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Denise will be here shortly to defend her hero Arafat.

Cochise
10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Ooops! sKerry gets terrorist endorsement.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Ah, Brent Bozo's 'news' organization as source. ROFL

'In response to these shortcomings, MRC Chairman L. Brent Bozell III founded CNSNews.com in an effort to provide an alternative news source that would cover stories that are subject to the bias of omission and report on other news subject to bias by commission.'

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Ah, Brent Bozo's 'news' organization as source. ROFL

'In response to these shortcomings, MRC Chairman L. Brent Bozell III founded CNSNews.com in an effort to provide an alternative news source that would cover stories that are subject to the bias of omission and report on other news subject to bias by commission.'

What’s that you guys are always cry’n ‘bout? Oh yea, when you can’t refute the claims you attack the source. ROFL

Brock
10-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Can't believe Taco didn't report this one. :hmmm:

Amnorix
10-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Lord I hate this "oops" thread title crap (from both sides) It's way past overdone. :shrug:

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Lord I hate this "oops" thread title crap (from both sides) It's way past overdone. :shrug:

It's my schtick...I can't help I have copy cats. Why should I stop? :p

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
What’s that you guys are always cry’n ‘bout? Oh yea, when you can’t refute the claims you attack the source. ROFL

Hey, I've long maintained Bozo is a RW propagandist. Bring this story from someone more mainstream, sheesh even Faux News is more mainstream, and you'll get more crediblity and a better argument...

Cochise
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
So, is the report false then?

Cochise
10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey, I've long maintained Bozo is a RW propagandist. Bring this story from someone more mainstream, sheesh even Faux News is more mainstream, and you'll get more crediblity and a better argument...

Why don't you just come out and say that it's false then, instead of hiding behind the list of acceptable liberal sources?

Is it because you think it's probably true, but the first order of attack when that is the case is to make fun of the source?

LamarR Huunt
10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
According to Deenise, anything Christian is "bozo" an not credible.

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 10:59 AM

Doubt you’ll ever get a straight answer to that one.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 11:03 AM
According to Deenise, anything Christian is "bozo" an not credible.

uh, it's not that it's Christian, it's because it's from BRENT BOZELL. Brent Bozo. He's a CON mouthpiece.

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 11:05 AM

They article did not say they wanted or 'endorse' KERRY...

it says they feel that a Kerry administration would employ former Clinton officials. Of course they would want that because that is the last time the US tried to iniate a peace resolution without bending over for Ariel Sharon.

I guess DUHbya distortion has become a cliche epidemic within the CON movement...

Stinger
10-20-2004, 11:05 AM
uh, it's not that it's Christian, it's because it's from BRENT BOZELL. Brent Bozo. He's a CON mouthpiece.

Still not an answer to the question? Is the report False??

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Still not an answer to the question? Is the report False??

The title of topic header is false. Like I said, give me other sources reporting the same thing and then I can judge.

KCWolfman
10-20-2004, 11:09 AM
The title of topic header is false.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY!!! THE IRONIC POST AWARD HAS BEEN GIVEN FOR THE YEAR 2004 TO THE AUTHOR OF THE STATEMENT ABOVE.

KCWolfman
10-20-2004, 11:13 AM
They article did not say they wanted or 'endorse' KERRY...

it says they feel that a Kerry administration would employ former Clinton officials. Of course they would want that because that is the last time the US tried to iniate a peace resolution without bending over for Ariel Sharon.

I guess DUHbya distortion has become a cliche epidemic within the CON movement...
Somebody else is clearly distorted as well

We'll do a better job of protecting the state of Israel than they are today,"

The only question is, is it you or Kerry?

memyselfI
10-20-2004, 11:14 AM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY!!! THE IRONIC POST AWARD HAS BEEN GIVEN FOR THE YEAR 2004 TO THE AUTHOR OF THE STATEMENT ABOVE.

says the judge reciting his speech into the mirror. ROFL

Baby Lee
10-20-2004, 11:18 AM
It's my schtick...I can't help I have copy cats. Why should I stop? :p
You shouldn't stop. You should GO AWAY.

KCWolfman
10-20-2004, 11:18 AM
says the judge reciting his speech into the mirror.
I did enuciate it well, didn't I?

You do realize the judge is not awarded the prize? Here, let me help you with your response..... :homer: :banghead:

Bwana
10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Hmmm? Seems like the place to post this swanky shit offer.

KCWolfman
10-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Hmmm? Seems like the place to post this swanky shit offer.
Up to 5XL, eh? That should be a big selling point for N.O.W.

Bwana
10-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Up to 5XL, eh? That should be a big selling point for N.O.W.

Indeed it looks like it comes in S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, and Army Troop tent sizes. :)

Hel'n
10-20-2004, 12:02 PM
CNSnews is definitely NOT the most reputable site.

Is Fox News reporting this too? If not, well then this has to be bogus...

Either way, Iran endorsing Bush cancels out PLO endorsing Kerry...

Offsetting endorsements... down goes over...

;)

Ugly Duck
10-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Oh. CNSNews. Well.... I'm sure that some folks on this BB will just take it as fact. There's gotta be someone that will....

Cochise
10-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Duhnise, your table is ready

KCWolfman
10-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I can understand Arafat backing Kerry.

After all, John Boy did call him a "statesman".

Mr. Kotter
10-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Oh. CNSNews. Well.... I'm sure that some folks on this BB will just take it as fact. There's gotta be someone that will....

Can't believe anything those Holy Rollers and Bible Thumpers say, but oh.....can we believe those Hollywood/Rock Star pothead-cocaine hedonistic scum of the earth types....

Frankie
10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Oops. PLO endorses Kerry...

Oops. IRAN endorses BUSH...

ROFL
Did you check the news before posting this lame thread?

BroWhippendiddle
10-21-2004, 07:58 AM
...Faux News ...

I've seen you use this as a negative statement about Fox Network. Have you even got a clue as to the pronounciation of faux?

It makes you look pretty dumb, but I guess that goes without saying.

Trying to be cute? You are way too old for that one.

Frankie
10-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Err.... I don't think she is concerned about the pronunciation. It's the apt definition of the word that she means. Anyway, when you get so personally insulted and defensive about a tabloid entertainment network, could it be that deep down you know she's right? ;)

BroWhippendiddle
10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Err.... I don't think she is concerned about the pronunciation. It's the apt definition of the word that she means. Anyway, when you get so personally insulted and defensive about a tabloid entertainment network, could it be that deep down you know she's right?

So you are saying it's OK, if you are on the left to be stupid? I guess you fit the case.

Deep down I know that she is at the least sympathetic to terrorists. Regardless of attempting to be cute or witty, she is showing her open contempt for America and Americans.

Frankie
10-21-2004, 08:51 AM
So you are saying it's OK, if you are on the left to be stupid? I guess you fit the case.

Deep down I know that she is at the least sympathetic to terrorists. Regardless of attempting to be cute or witty, she is showing her open contempt for America and Americans.

Before you call someone stupid, think about my tolerance not to call you that for this very post (DAMN YOU IOWANIAN!!!)... I'lll explain the easiest way I can so you can undrstand:

1- Play on a word (especially when apt) is NOT stupid. It's par for the course on this BB.

2- She calls "Fox" "Faux" and she is sympathetic to terrorists?... Talk about stupidity of reasoning! :shake:

BroWhippendiddle
10-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Before you call someone stupid, think about my tolerance not to call you that for this very post (DAMN YOU IOWANIAN!!!)... I'lll explain the easiest way I can so you can undrstand:

1- Play on a word (especially when apt) is NOT stupid. It's par for the course on this BB.

2- She calls "Fox" "Faux" and she is sympathetic to terrorists?... Talk about stupidity of reasoning!

You seem to think that her posts on this thread is all I've read. You are thinking in a vacuum.

The play on words may be par for this bb, but expecting people to think it is funny or relevant is still stupid. If you think it was funny, well, take the hint.

Your blanket support for d-knees seems to lump you into the same category as her. I'd bet I'm not far off with that one.