PDA

View Full Version : Elections .......every 4 or 8 years ?

ROYC75
10-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Name your pro's or cons with this idea .

Personally, I think it could serve the country well in many ways by going to 8 years terms before re-elections in the house and senate.

As for President, 8 years , 1 term I think would work well.

Thoughts ?

Taco John
10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I like the status quo for president...

ROYC75
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Most Presidents get re-elected anyways, even they tell you there plans are long term, nothing you can fix in a 4 year time.

The left and right will always bitch or complain about the other after 3 years, again when in reality the plans by both parties need longer time to impliment .

Amnorix
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
I think one 6 year term might be best. First term presidents have very little time to do anything before they're right back into "election" mode. Second term presidents are either able to accomplish their agenda (if Congress is close to friendly) or are weak lame ducks (if not).

I'd rather see one 6 year term than the near-constant electioneering we have to undergo.

But, the Constitution won't be changing to accomodate this, so we're all wasting our breath on this thread.

Stinger
10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Got to disagree there. Keep the current system and add term limits to Congress.

The only reason this is happening is because of a close election that people can't let go of.

That was my post to your question in the other thread.

Radar Chief
10-20-2004, 01:17 PM
I think one 6 year term might be best. First term presidents have very little time to do anything before they're right back into "election" mode. Second term presidents are either able to accomplish their agenda (if Congress is close to friendly) or are weak lame ducks (if not).

I'd rather see one 6 year term than the near-constant electioneering we have to undergo.

Agreed, and will add that I think 8 years to be a bit long particularly when caught in a bad situation.

But, the Constitution won't be changing to accomodate this, so we're all wasting our breath on this thread.

:spock: It’s a “discussion board”, what else is it here for if not wasting “breath”? ;)

ROYC75
10-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I can see where the 4 would be better than a 6 or an 8 when in a bad presidency.

All the money being used for campaigns could be used to better help out America's problems. Donations to other funds, etc.

Saulbadguy
10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Change em every 23 days.

Hoover
10-20-2004, 02:04 PM
4 years for President

The change should be made for the US House of Rep. Having them run every 2 years is silly. They are always running, but hey thats good for business