PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!!

Joe Seahawk
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:

School District Bans Halloween

October 20, 2004

By Kevin Reece

PUYALLUP - "Let them have their 30 minutes of dressing goofy and having candy," said Silas Macon on the grounds of Puyallup's Maplewood Elementary School Wednesday afternoon.

He'd just learned the grade school tradition of a party and parade in costume during the last half-hour of class before Halloween night won't happen this year in the Puyallup School District for his two daughters.

The superintendent has cancelled all Halloween activities.

A letter sent home to parents Wednesday states there will be no observance of Halloween in the entire school district.

"We really want to make sure we're using all of our time in the best interest of our students," explained Puyallup School District spokesperson Karen Hansen.

Hansen says the superintendent made the decision for three primary reasons. First, Halloween parties and parades waste valuable classroom time. In addition some families can't afford costumes.

It's the third reason some Puyallup parents are struggling with.

The district says Halloween celebrations and children dressed in Halloween costumes might be offensive to real witches.

"Witches with pointy noses and things like that are not respective symbols of the Wiccan religion and so we want to be respectful of that," said Hansen.
The Wiccan, or Pagan, religion is growing in the U.S. and there are Wiccan groups in Puyallup.

Number eight on the district's guidelines related to holidays and celebrations reads as follows: "Use of derogatory stereotypes is prohibited, such as the traditional image of a witch, which is offensive to members of the Wiccan religion."

"I do lots of things that are not revolving around wearing a black outfit and stirring a cauldron," said Wiccan Priestess Cheryl Sulyma-Masson in an interview with ABC News where she explained that Wiccans (or Pagan Clergy) celebrate nature, not Satan.

A Puyallup School District internal email dating from October 2000 warns that "the Wiccan religion is a bona fide religion under the law, and its followers are entitled to all the protections afforded more mainstream religions. Building administrators should not tolerate such inappropriate stereotyping (images such as Witches on flying brooms, stirring cauldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats) and instead address them as you would hurtful stereotypes of any other minority."

2004, however, is the first year that the superintendent decided to cite that concern, along with loss of classroom study time and protection for students who can't afford costumes, as motivation for canceling in-school Halloween activities.

"They're so worried about being politically correct anymore that we're not allowed to do much of anything," said parent Tonya Reynolds whose daughter attends Maplewood Elementary.

"If you don't want costumes, call it a harvest party," said parent Loni Andrews who promises to challenge the ruling at the next school board meeting. "We don't have to take out complete Halloween. We could still do something for our children."

"Yeah it does bother me because I would really like to go around and dress up," said Maplewood 6th grader Grace Macon.

"I think it's terrible," added Silas Macon. "I think it just kind of takes away from the little stuff they get to do that's fun at school."

"It's a little bit of both," said Hansen of the study time and religious reasons for canceling Halloween activities. "I don't think you can balance respect with instructional time and we would always be looking to do both. We want to make sure our students are respectful of all religions and all cultures.

Hansen also said that the PTA and teachers have been notified that they can hold parties or other Halloween events after the school day is over. Classroom time, however, will not be used for Halloween celebrations. Hansen says concerns about other holidays and parties held in school will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Taco John
10-21-2004, 06:39 PM
I read about that too... I am dumbfounded.

Right here in the NW...

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Anyone that wants to piss off witches has not met my wife and two girls.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Here is the interesting part of the article, and about the only part I agree with:
Hansen says the superintendent made the decision for three primary reasons. First, Halloween parties and parades waste valuable classroom time.
The other 2 are stupid.

jspchief
10-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Here is the interesting part of the article, and about the only part I agree with:
Hansen says the superintendent made the decision for three primary reasons. First, Halloween parties and parades waste valuable classroom time.
The other 2 are stupid.

Yea. We certainly don't want children to have fun at school. Especially if it wastes an entire half hour of one day out of the school year. I can only wonder at how many adults are illiterate because of halloween parties in their grade school days.:rolleyes:

KC Jones
10-21-2004, 07:02 PM
:shake:

My first thought was that it was going to be some overly zealous christians bemoaning a satanic/pagan holiday. Glad to hear it's been banned for a good cause like protecting the sensitivities of people that read too many fantasy novels and decided to play make believe for the rest of their lives. I'd be tempted to hold a 'witch burning' party and burn some witches in effigy if that happened here.

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Yea. We certainly don't want children to have fun at school. Especially if it wastes an entire half hour of one day out of the school year. I can only wonder at how many adults are illiterate because of halloween parties in their grade school days.:rolleyes:

I hear ya....So far this year my kids middle school has held a PJ dress up day and a wear mis-matched clothes day and they are still in the top 20% in the state.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Did I elude to children being stupid because parties are being held? I just do not believe they should take place.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I hear ya....So far this year my kids middle school has held a PJ dress up day and a wear mis-matched clothes day and they are still in the top 20% in the state.
Having a theme day is different from spending a couple hours out of the day that could be used for something educational to have a party.

IMO.

Jenson71
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Bound to happen sometime soon. Damn sad...

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Having a theme day is different from spending a couple hours out of the day that could be used for something educational to have a party.

IMO.

Without getting into a debate about which party's fault it is. IMO the quality of education has drastically dropped off in the last 20 years, my girls in middle school are at the level I felt my generation was at in 4th grade and this school is still considered in the top 20% to 25% in the country.

jspchief
10-21-2004, 07:32 PM

IMO.

Couple of hours? The article said the last half hour of the day. You know, the time when second graders are usually really starting to tear into those books. I know you're not so old that you don't remember your grade school days. Countless hours are spent on things that are more about fun than education. These are kids. 5-10 year olds. Let them have some fun while they still can for chrissakes.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Couple of hours? The article said the last half hour of the day. You know, the time when second graders are usually really starting to tear into those books. I know you're not so old that you don't remember your grade school days. Countless hours are spent on things that are more about fun than education. These are kids. 5-10 year olds. Let them have some fun while they still can for chrissakes.
IMHO that is the attitude that leads to our lax views on education. In other countries, from what i've read, and heard from people who were raised in other countries, such as Russia, France, Germany, school is regarded as a "job" for children, and is much more rigorous. IMO, schools in this country have become nothing more than a glorified babysitter, when compared to other countries education systems. I agree though, learning SHOULD be fun for those of young ages, but why sacrifice educational time for parties? Its a small block of time, but its still valuable.

FWIW, I don't have any children, but I am a former "educator".

jspchief
10-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Of all the flaws in our education system, I don't rank holliday parties very high. In fact, they don't even make the list when you consider the real factors.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Of all the flaws in our education system, I don't rank holliday parties very high. In fact, they don't even make the list when you consider the real factors.
When combined with other wasted time in the classroom, I think it ranks in the middle of the pack.

Phobia
10-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Did I elude to children being stupid because parties are being held? I just do not believe they should take place.
You're on crack. If you don't do something to capture a child's imagination and make school a balance of entertainment, then a child's ability to focus and learn is diminished. We used to dress up for the entire day on halloween. We also used to spent half of Valentine's day on those themed activities which provided valuable social skills, but nothing educational. This was Iowa schools which were constantly in the top 3 in the nation.

Why do you think so many children are diagnosed with ADD since recesses were reduced and even eliminated in grammar school? Back in the day, we called that "hyperactive". There's nothing wrong with these children. At least not anything that a little fricking dope in their bodies won't clear up.... :rolleyes:

Joe Seahawk
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
You're on crack. If you don't do something to capture a child's imagination and make school a balance of entertainment, then a child's ability to focus and learn is dimenished.

I guess you had no fun in grade skool huh? Me neether

Phobia
10-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Did I really spell diminish with an "e"? Good Lord. I misspell something twice a year and I have to do it in a post about education? ROFL

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Did I really spell diminish with an "e"? Good Lord. I misspell something twice a year and I have to do it in a post about education? ROFL

Who is the "yes it's her" in the avvy? She's hot.

Phobia
10-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Who is the "yes it's her" in the avvy? She's hot.

She's alright, but I get sick of her shit every once in a while.

http://www.caingram.info/Halle_berry/halle_berry_32.jpg

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
She's alright, but I get sick of her shit every once in a while.

http://www.caingram.info/Halle_berry/halle_berry_32.jpg

I don't blame ya, send her my way and I'll straighten her out for ya. I can't believe I couldnt tell, my network servers name is Halle. I need a new monitor.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Phobia
10-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I don't blame ya, send her my way and I'll straighten her out for ya. I can't believe I couldnt tell, my network servers name is Halle. I need a new monitor.

You can have her, I guess. I'm through with her now. She'll probably come crawling back, though. :shake:

You can't really tell when a pic is shrunk that small. That's a little known pic of her, too.

MadProphetMargin
10-21-2004, 09:10 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:

Welcome to PC America.

Joe Seahawk
10-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Anybody (besides Denise) offended by this?

http://worldnetdaily.com/images2/witch.jpg

stevieray
10-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Witches have more clout in schools than prayer does.

At least in this school.

OldTownChief
10-21-2004, 09:50 PM
You can have her, I guess. I'm through with her now. She'll probably come crawling back, though. :shake:

You can't really tell when a pic is shrunk that small. That's a little known pic of her, too.

Dont ever change that Avatar

Ultra Peanut
10-21-2004, 09:54 PM
You guys ever watched Jeopardy's "Kids Week" episodes?

Man, kids are stupid.