View Full Version : oh,la,la: Tenet calls Iraq War 'wrong'

memyselfI
10-21-2004, 07:45 PM
ooops. ROFL

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2004/10/21/news/news1.txt

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Tenet: CIA made errors

By ANNA CLARK / H-P Correspondent

BENTON TOWNSHIP -- Although he emphasized that the Central Intelligence Agency boasts "tremendously talented men and women," former CIA Director George Tenet said it "did not live up to our expectations as professionals" regarding the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the search for nonexistent weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"We had inconsistent information, and we did not inform others in the community of gaps in our intelligence," Tenet said. "The extraordinary men and women who do magnificent work in the CIA are held accountable every day for what they do, and as part of keeping our faith with the American people, we will tell you when we're right or wrong."

Tenet called the war on Iraq "wrong" in a speech Wednesday night to 2,000 members of The Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan at Lake Michigan College's Mendel Center. He did not elaborate.

Despite proclaiming to be "as forthcoming as I can," Tenet made light of a question about whether or not the United States made an error in committing intelligence to the search for nonexistent WMDs in Iraq rather than exploring terrorism elsewhere.

Tenet apologized for being rude but did not answer the question.

He did add that he doesn't think the Iraq war was wholly bad.

"When I look at the regime (Saddam Hussein) ran, and the elaborate depth he took to deny us the ability to build our intelligence, I can't say it was a waste," Tenet said. "I believed he had weapons of mass destruction. He didn't. At the end of the day I have to stand up accountable for that. In the meantime our nation needs to honor the commitment we made in Iraq."

Tenet was faulted in April's 9/11 Commission report for not having a strategy to battle terrorism before the terrorist attacks. He also took responsibility for a later discredited line in President George Bush's 2003 State of the Union address, which alleged that Iraq was trying to buy uranium from Africa. Tenet said the CIA had seen and approved the speech in advance, and he assumed responsibility for the error.

Tenet said that while the Iraq war was "rightly being challenged," the CIA was making important strides toward success in the greater war on terrorism.

He said the United States is "winning the war on terror" due to the CIA's efforts to "capture or kill" three-quarters of al-Qaida's leaders, pinpointed before 9/11. He expects to see Osama bin Ladin captured.

Tenet highlighted places throughout the world, including Iran and North Korea, that are potential terrorism threats, while commending the cooperation of Pakistan and Libya with U.S. efforts.

He said the Pakistani president "came to our side" after 9/11 and allowed for important al-Qaida captures in a nation the terrorist organization once considered safe. Libya initiated contact with the CIA and explicitly committed to dismantling its weapons program - the first time any such program was self-dismantled without a shot being fired, Tenet said.

"Demographics and distribution trends are something we also need to keep an eye on," Tenet said. "The developed world is not reproducing at levels to maintain its position, while developing nations who cannot afford it, mostly Muslim ones, are exploding."

Tenet said a developing nation's low per capita income, high unemployment among young men and high infant mortality rate strongly increase its likelihood of becoming a "terrorist safe haven."

"In 2010, 100 million people outside of Africa will be infected with HIV," Tenet said. "The secondary implications of this are staggering."

He said the work of public health officers, missionaries and literacy teachers in third world nations are crucial to the war on terrorism, because terrorists build supporters by spinning poverty as a form of humiliation caused by wealthy nations like the United States.

Taco John
10-21-2004, 07:52 PM
If Tenet had any less credibility, his name would be Condoleeza Rice...

RINGLEADER
10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
So what part of the war was "wrong"? I know the CIA intelligence was wrong, but where does he say the Iraq war was wrong?

RINGLEADER
10-21-2004, 07:59 PM

Bush should have gotten rid of all of Clinton's appointees...Tenet included.

KCWolfman
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
A reporter gives one word as a quote from the sentence and that seems okay to you people?

Hel'n
10-21-2004, 08:04 PM
So what part of the war was "wrong"? I know the CIA intelligence was wrong, but where does he say the Iraq war was wrong?

I'd like to know that too, but he apparently did not explain his views...

KCWolfman
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I just like to know the full sentence he used.

RINGLEADER
10-21-2004, 08:11 PM

This ranks up there with NY Times "Fake But Accurate" headline, the CBS memos, ABC's pronouncement that the Kerry and Bush campaigns should not be fact-checked equally and Suskind's article quoting Bush verbatim about social security (and other issues) then admitting that he never heard the quotes nor does he have proof that they were even made.

All it takes is an election to showcase how terrible the mainstream media is...

Ugly Duck
10-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Bush should have gotten rid of all of Clinton's appointees....Finally, after all this time.... RingyDingy agrees with us libs that Duhbya is a f*ckup - persistance has paid off! Vote with us, Ringy! Boot that moran out of office!

beavis
10-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Finally, after all this time.... RingyDingy agrees with us libs that Duhbya is a f*ckup - persistance has paid off! Vote with us, Ringy! Boot that moran out of office!
ROFL

Patriot 21
10-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Boot that moran out of office!

Oh the irony! ROFL

Frankie
10-22-2004, 09:21 AM

ROFL ROFL
BRILLIANT!!!

Baby Lee
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Finally, after all this time.... RingyDingy agrees with us libs that Duhbya is a f*ckup - persistance has paid off! Vote with us, Ringy! Boot that moran out of office!
Joanie Cunningham???
Shortcake???

homey
10-22-2004, 10:01 AM
This ranks up there with NY Times "Fake But Accurate" headline, the CBS memos, ABC's pronouncement that the Kerry and Bush campaigns should not be fact-checked equally and Suskind's article quoting Bush verbatim about social security (and other issues) then admitting that he never heard the quotes nor does he have proof that they were even made.

All it takes is an election to showcase how terrible the mainstream media is...

Don't forget the "fair and balanced" Fox News fabricating metrosexual quotes from Kerry in yet another attempt to feminize him.

Radar Chief
10-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Don't forget the "fair and balanced" Fox News fabricating metrosexual quotes from Kerry in yet another attempt to feminize him.

Really? Got a link to these fabricated quotes?

Baby Lee
10-22-2004, 04:07 PM
It was a JOKE that some lackey copied down and posted on the web site, not a serious attempt to put words in Kerry's mouth. You didn't even know about the 'quotes' until the story was about the posting being taken down. There isn't a person on earth who thought they were a serious transcription of Kerry's words.

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Well, the full quote was just released...the paper is going to issue a retraction tomorrow after the paper's managing editor now says that the reporter got the context of the comment "confused"...here is the full quote:

"Just because we were wrong in Iraq, the CIA is not the dysfunctional lot the media has led you to believe."

The "we" he was referring to was the CIA. To further clarify that he went on in the same speech:

"I did not walk in and tell the president (the invasion of Iraq) was wrong to do. I won't say...when things are looking bad that I was against it all along."

Warrior5
10-23-2004, 02:56 AM
"...here is the full quote:

"Just because we were wrong in Iraq, the CIA is not the dysfunctional lot the media has led you to believe."

The "we" he was referring to was the CIA. To further clarify that he went on in the same speech:

"I did not walk in and tell the president (the invasion of Iraq) was wrong to do. I won't say...when things are looking bad that I was against it all along."

Wow, Ringleader...that say something completely different from the thread topic.

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Wow, Ringleader...that say something completely different from the thread topic.

Sorry, the context was that he was talking about the CIA efforts in Iraq being "wrong" before the war. Not the Iraq War itself (as the thread topic states).

OldTownChief
10-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Sorry, the context was that he was talking about the CIA efforts in Iraq being "wrong" before the war. Not the Iraq War itself (as the thread topic states).

oops.. Yet another mis-informed MEME thread shot to sh!t.

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 01:11 PM
oops.. Yet another mis-informed MEME thread shot to sh!t.

Yeah, well you can't really fault D-Nise because she was just passing what a newspaper was reporting. Kind of like what Jaz did with the CBS memos (or the letter that was from the Vatican, and then not from the Vatican that I posted about earlier this week - although I was more interested in why it would be a story that hurts Kerry even if it was real). The fact that there was a long declarative supposedly explaining what Tenet was talking about when only the word "wrong" was in quotes, however, was pretty much a dead give-away on this one.

DanT
10-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Here's the clarification from The Herald-Palladium Tribune available right now on their webiste:
http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2004/10/23/news/news3.txt

Tenet story clarified

Former CIA Director George Tenet told the Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan on Wednesday that the United States was wrong on its pre-war intelligence in Iraq, but an article in Thursday's Herald-Palladium may have put the comment in an incorrect context.

The story said Tenet called the war in Iraq "wrong." However, after reviewing the reporter's notes (Tenet barred reporters from using tape recorders), the newspaper now believes Tenet used the word "wrong" in the context of U.S. intelligence, not on the direct question of whether the United States should be in Iraq.
Here are excerpts of Tenet's comments from the reporter's notes:

(Although) "we were wrong in Iraq ... (the CIA) is not the dysfunctional lot the media has led you to believe."

"We are rightly being challenged on our performance in Iraq."

(Regarding an audience request that he clarify his view on the Iraq war): "I did not walk in and tell the president that it (the Iraq invasion) was wrong to do. I won't say at the end of the game, when things are looking bad, that I was against it all along."

(Regarding an audience question as to whether the Iraq invasion was a "waste" in the greater war on terrorism): "I don't think it was a waste when you look at the regime he ran. We made a decision. Politically you can decide if it was right. Either way, we need to honor the commitment we made."

Ugly Duck
10-23-2004, 04:03 PM
There isn't a person on earth who thought they were a serious transcription of Kerry's words.Now there's a conundrum... the entire BushCo campaign is based upon convicing people that Rove's mischaracterizations are "serious transcriptions of Kerry's words." The BushCo supporters seem to buy that hooey without blinking an eye.... why is that?

Baby Lee
10-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Now there's a conundrum... the entire BushCo campaign is based upon convicing people that Rove's mischaracterizations are "serious transcriptions of Kerry's words." The BushCo supporters seem to buy that hooey without blinking an eye.... why is that?
Because they are words Kerry actually said on the campaign trail, or on the Senate floor. Cameron's email was his own satirical scribblings.

Every 'mischaracterization' you dig up will start off with "Sure that's what Kerry said, but. . . "

You guys want to run Bush out of town because he misspells nuclear, but every dumb thing out of Kerry's mouth gets a 500 word 'clarification and excuse' missive.

I don't pretend that Bush says anything but nucular. But I also don't give a f@ck. Kerry pines for the good ol' 'nuisance' days of the war on terror and you guys can't help yourselves in not only excusing it, but explaining and reading the tea leaves and offering 'nuance.' He said it, decide if it bothers you or not.

DanT
10-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Here's some information on the incident in which a fictitious story from Fox News' chief political correspondent was posted on the Fox News website.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2002052224_debatefox02.html

Saturday, October 02, 2004, 12:00 A.M.
Fox News apologizes for fictitious Kerry story

By Los Angeles Times

The chief political correspondent for Fox News wrote a fictitious story yesterday referring to John Kerry as a "metrosexual" who does manicures. The report was posted temporarily on the network's Web site.

In a piece titled "The Metrosexual and the Cowboy," correspondent Carl Cameron quoted Kerry telling supporters at a rally in Tampa, Fla.: "Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!"

At another point, Cameron quoted Kerry as saying, "I'm metrosexual he's a cowboy." "Metrosexual" refers to young, fashion-savvy urban men.

Fox News said the piece was a joke that accidentally ended up on the Web site for a period of time yesterday. The Web site later posted an editor's note apologizing for the piece.

"The item was based on a reporter's partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast," the note read. "We regret the error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

Fox spokesman Paul Schur said Cameron was "reprimanded," but would not say what discipline he faced.

"Carl Cameron made a stupid mistake, and he has been reprimanded for his lapse in judgment," Schur said.

Asked about the incident, Kerry spokesman David Wade said: "America would be stronger if only George Bush could admit his mistakes as easily."

Reaction from the Kerry campaign was reported by The Associated Press.

Copyright 2004 The Seattle Times Company

Ugly Duck
10-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Every 'mischaracterization' you dig up will start off with "Sure that's what Kerry said, but. . . "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Not only that that, I think its completely shameful that you would stoop so low as to denigrate a United States Senator. Look at the depths to which we have fallen, showing disrespect for a Public Servant of High Office. Next thing you know, we'll be comparing the POTUS to Zippy the Pinhead!

Ugly Duck
10-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Oh the irony! ROFLOh you silly boy... its an old Planet insider's joke. Not meant for the... uhh... "unsophisticated."

KCWolfman
10-24-2004, 04:35 AM
I think the feminization comes from the full gropes on Edwards, not the news.