PDA

View Full Version : G.O.P. Begins Disarming of Ohio Voters

COCKRINGLEADER
10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Republican Party officials in Ohio took formal steps yesterday to place thousands of recruits inside polling places on Election Day to challenge the qualifications of voters they suspect are not eligible to cast ballots.

Party officials say their effort is necessary to guard against fraud arising from aggressive moves by the Democrats to register tens of thousands of new voters in Ohio, seen as one of the most pivotal battlegrounds in the Nov. 2 elections.

Election officials in other swing states, from Arizona to Wisconsin and Florida, say they are bracing for similar efforts by Republicans to challenge new voters at polling places, reflecting months of disputes over voting procedures and the anticipation of an election as close as the one in 2000.

Ohio election officials said they had never seen so large a drive to prepare for Election Day challenges. They said they were scrambling yesterday to be ready for disruptions in the voting process as well as alarm and complaints among voters. Some officials said they worried that the challenges could discourage or even frighten others waiting to vote.

Ohio Democrats were struggling to match the Republicans' move, which had been rumored for weeks. Both parties had until 4 p.m. to register people they had recruited to monitor the election. Republicans said they had enlisted 3,600 by the deadline, many in heavily Democratic urban neighborhoods of Cleveland, Dayton and other cities. Each recruit was to be paid $100.

The Democrats, who tend to benefit more than Republicans from large turnouts, said they had registered more than 2,000 recruits to try to protect legitimate voters rather than weed out ineligible ones.

Republican officials said they had no intention of disrupting voting but were concerned about the possibility of fraud involving thousands of newly registered Democrats.

"The organized left's efforts to, quote unquote, register voters - I call them ringers - have created these problems," said James P. Trakas, a Republican co-chairman in Cuyahoga County.

Both parties have waged huge campaigns in the battleground states to register millions of new voters, and the developments in Ohio provided an early glimpse of how those efforts may play out on Election Day.

Ohio election officials said that by state law, the parties' challengers would have to show "reasonable" justification for doubting the qualifications of a voter before asking a poll worker to question that person. And, the officials said, challenges could be made on four main grounds: whether the voter is a citizen, is at least 18, is a resident of the county and has lived in Ohio for the previous 30 days.

Elections officials in Ohio said they hoped the criteria would minimize the potential for disruption. But Democrats worry that the challenges will inevitably delay the process and frustrate the voters.

"Our concern is Republicans will be challenging in large numbers for the purpose of slowing down voting, because challenging takes a long time,'' said David Sullivan, the voter protection coordinator for the national Democratic Party in Ohio. "And creating long lines causes our people to leave without voting.''

The Republican challenges in Ohio have already begun. Yesterday, party officials submitted a list of about 35,000 registered voters whose mailing addresses, the Republicans said, were questionable. After registering, they said, each of the voters was mailed a notice, and in each case the notice was returned to election officials as undeliverable.

In Cuyahoga County alone, which includes the heavily Democratic neighborhoods of Cleveland, the Republican Party submitted more than 14,000 names of voters for county election officials to scrutinize for possible irregularities. The party said it had registered more than 1,400 people to challenge voters in that county.

Among the main swing states, only Ohio, Florida and Missouri require the parties to register poll watchers before Election Day; elsewhere, party observers can register on the day itself. In several states officials have alerted poll workers to expect a heightened interest by the parties in challenging voters. In some cases, poll workers, many of them elderly, have been given training to deal with any abusive challenging.

Mr. Trakas, the Republican co-chairman in Cuyahoga County, said the recruits would be equipped with lists of voters who the party suspects are not county residents or otherwise qualified to vote.
page 1 of 2
-------------------------------------------
my god what has happened to our country?

Joe Seahawk
10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
It's a mess, thanks to $hit like this (http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2458796)

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 12:15 AM
As I said on another thread I think the Dems may awaken on November 3rd and realize that they shouldn't count on ex-felons when they strive to register new voters. I hope the GOP challenges every suspect registration, every double vote (as is taking place in Florida), and every strong-armed tactic (like Ed Rendell's decision to put a Dem lacky in a newly created position of overseeing the Pennsylvania election).

Michael Michigan
10-23-2004, 12:22 AM
As I said on another thread I think the Dems may awaken on November 3rd and realize that they shouldn't count on ex-felons when they strive to register new voters. I hope the GOP challenges every suspect registration, every double vote (as is taking place in Florida), and every strong-armed tactic (like Ed Rendell's decision to put a Dem lacky in a newly created position of overseeing the Pennsylvania election).

I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time.

nychief
10-23-2004, 08:50 AM
aren't we missing the bigger point here fellas? This shit, on both sides, is terrible. Thoughts?

Boyceofsummer
10-23-2004, 08:53 AM
REP!

WilliamTheIrish
10-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Linkage please..

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 10:52 AM
aren't we missing the bigger point here fellas? This shit, on both sides, is terrible. Thoughts?

Well, if Dems are going to register people who don't exist (which is part of the reason why the GOP is doing what they're doing in Ohio - there were more than 35,000 new registrations for Dems that were returned as undeliverable to the addresses that were provided on the sign-up forms) then the GOP has to make sure that none of those people attempt to vote on election day (especially with a provisional ballot in the wrong precinct without any ID confirming who they are).

What's the Dem response to this? The Republicans are trying to keep people from voting.

In these cases I should hope so.

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 10:53 AM
For the record I predict an incredible level of fraud in this election and for the record I predict the vast majority of it will be from the Dems. I also predict the Dems will argue that Republicans are trying to keep people from voting, disenfranchising people and trying to keep every vote from counting.

Hydrae
10-23-2004, 11:32 AM

I agree completely. This BS is coming from both sides in various different ways. The image we are showing the rest of the world about how democracy works is shameful at best! :cuss:

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 11:47 AM
What cracks me up, is how the Demoncrats want to play full contact blood sport on the ground, and they expect the Republicans to play Gentleman Jim.

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree completely. This BS is coming from both sides in various different ways. The image we are showing the rest of the world about how democracy works is shameful at best! :cuss:
FVck the rest of the world, this IS Democracy at its finest.

Up until they start breaking into HQ and hurting people.

This has been a part of American politics for generations, this is nothing new. 2000, just caused the pollyanna attitude to come clean. The process was laid naked to the country because Gore was a Sore loser man.

nychief
10-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Well, if Dems are going to register people who don't exist (which is part of the reason why the GOP is doing what they're doing in Ohio - there were more than 35,000 new registrations for Dems that were returned as undeliverable to the addresses that were provided on the sign-up forms) then the GOP has to make sure that none of those people attempt to vote on election day (especially with a provisional ballot in the wrong precinct without any ID confirming who they are).

What's the Dem response to this? The Republicans are trying to keep people from voting.

In these cases I should hope so.

Ringleader is part of the problem with Bush's Republican party. Bush handed the keys to the radical right, christian conservative fraction... but always remember he is a "uniter, not a divider." Ringleader is no better than radicals in Egypt that preach mistrust of the west and push the Jihad movement. Completely unable to, or unwilling to, have any world, cultural, social perspective other than his own. It's sad, if he spent half the time cracking a book that doesn't have Grisham on the cover that he spends scouring the internet for lobsided polls and ditto head conspiracy theorys, he might have a rational voice in a political discussion. But, as it stands now he is negative noise.... a murmur.... completely pointless.

But again I ask, does this sort of action - on both sides - not worry us all? Is this the future of our democracy?

RINGLEADER
10-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Ringleader is part of the problem with Bush's Republican party. Bush handed the keys to the radical right, christian conservative fraction... but always remember he is a "uniter, not a divider." Ringleader is no better than radicals in Egypt that preach mistrust of the west and push the Jihad movement. Completely unable to, or unwilling to, have any world, cultural, social perspective other than his own. It's sad, if he spent half the time cracking a book that doesn't have Grisham on the cover that he spends scouring the internet for lobsided polls and ditto head conspiracy theorys, he might have a rational voice in a political discussion. But, as it stands now he is negative noise.... a murmur.... completely pointless.

But again I ask, does this sort of action - on both sides - not worry us all? Is this the future of our democracy?

Wow. I mean really...radicals in Egypt? Wow.

I think I did answer your question NYChief - but I don't expect the GOP to roll over and play dead when the Dems break into GOP offices, harrass GOP voters and break the law by registering people who didn't really register (all stories that can be found TODAY by doing a search of Google news).

Just because you don't want to accept the fact that the Dems are doing this doesn't make it any less true. So far there have been dozens of stories of Dems doing these things (including breaking a Bush supporters arm while breaking into a Bush/Cheney office) all over the country. The Dems are the ones who are boasting that they have 10,000 lawyers ready to challenge every state (even if Bush wins by a large margin). The Dems are the ones saying that they're going to claim victory even if the voters say they lost.

It's actually quite revealing that you feel these facts amount to little more than "negative noise" in your world while pretending to be concerned about the issue.

nychief
10-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Ringleader, do you get any news that is not on Drudge? Is your "break in" the egging of the Flagstaff Republican HQ? Gee, that is voter fraud.
Your indignation sounds hallow. You don't want to talk about anything of substance. And as for the 10,000 lawyers on call for voter fraud litigation, which is bad enough, it is a far cry from sending young republicans to hunt down newly registered voters. We both no this is in response to the Judges ruling in Ohio allowing you to vote in the wrong district (perhaps you know, I didn't check Drudge)...

sigh

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 01:06 PM

Hey NYChief, talk to me after the Islamo fascists light up a dirty bomb in a NY subway.

How can you say that Christians don't tolerate all kinds of wicked shit?

KCWolfman
10-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Anybody else catch the irony of someone using a pseudonym complaining about dishonesty?

KCWolfman
10-23-2004, 04:22 PM

You are a wacko if you are comparing a political zealot in this nation to people who preach the use of murder and violence in the Middle East.

MadProphetMargin
10-23-2004, 05:31 PM
FVck the rest of the world, this IS Democracy at its finest.

Up until they start breaking into HQ and hurting people.

This has been a part of American politics for generations, this is nothing new. 2000, just caused the pollyanna attitude to come clean. The process was laid naked to the country because Gore was a Sore loser man.

Who got hurt when they broke in?

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Who got hurt when they broke in?
Who got hurt when Nixon broke in?

WTF are you talking about who got hurt, the fuggin country is hurt. Nixon was thrown out of office over the kind of chit taht you are gonna sit here and pass off as "no harm no foul"??? :mad:

MadProphetMargin
10-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Who got hurt when Nixon broke in?

WTF are you talking about who got hurt, the fuggin country is hurt. Nixon was thrown out of office over the kind of chit taht you are gonna sit here and pass off as "no harm no foul"??? :mad:

The post implied that someone got physically hurt.

Besides, there is no comparison between the "break in" and the break in at the Watergate Hotel. One was an act of hooliganry, and the other was an attempt to bug an opponents office, for the purpose of subverting the democratic process.

MadProphetMargin
10-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey NYChief, talk to me after the Islamo fascists light up a dirty bomb in a NY subway.

TRANSLATION: Make all of your decisions based on stark, raving terror.

KCWolfman
10-24-2004, 02:43 AM
The post implied that someone got physically hurt.

Besides, there is no comparison between the "break in" and the break in at the Watergate Hotel. One was an act of hooliganry, and the other was an attempt to bug an opponents office, for the purpose of subverting the democratic process.
Both were an atempt to subvert, all else is delusion and rationalization.

the Talking Can
10-24-2004, 05:50 AM
don't worry, the republicans that were actually indicted in South Carolina for vote fraud are now working in Ohio....everything is going to fine and legal