PDA

View Full Version : Get This: Waters AFC Offensive Player of the Week!

mikey23545
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Waters Wins AFC Offensive Player of the Week Honor
Oct 26, 2004, 3:06:31 PM

The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Tuesday that G Brian Waters has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday. It marked the first time since the inception of the award in ‘84 that an offensive lineman has been selected as the AFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Waters is the first guard to be named the Offensive Player of the Week in either conference. The only previous offensive linemen to win the honor all played tackle in thebrian waters NFC. Waters is the first offensive linemen to win Offensive Player of the Week honors since Dallas T Erik Williams (Week 9 – ‘92). N.Y. Giants T Brad Benson (Week 14 – ‘86), and Washington T Jim Lachey (Week 13 – ‘90) also won the NFC award.

Waters (6-3, 318) was part of an offensive line that paved the way for Kansas City to score an NFL single-game record eight rushing touchdowns in a 56-10 victory vs. Atlanta. He was joined on the starting offensive line by LT Willie Roaf, C Casey Wiegmann, RG Will Shields and RT John Welbourn. The Chiefs followed the lead of the Waters and his linemates as the Chiefs rushed 49 times for 271 yards against the Falcons, who led the NFL in rushing defense entering the game. Kansas City’s 49 rushing attempts were the club’s most since having 57 vs. Seattle (11/5/89) and its 271 rushing yards were the team’s most since having 310 vs. Detroit (10/14/90). (Vote! Priest Holmes Ground Player of the Week!)

The North Texas product proved vital to the Chiefs offensive attack as Waters opened holes for his running backs to follow. The Chiefs eight touchdowns via the ground were the most ever scored in an NFL game. RBs Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock each scored four times to became the first pair of teammates in NFL history to each score four rushing touchdowns in the same game. Kansas City’s 56 points tied as the second-highest total in team history and were the most points ever scored by the club at Arrowhead.

Waters is the Chiefs second AFC Offensive Player of the Week winner in 2004. He joins Holmes who won the honor following a 27-24 win vs. Baltimore (10/4).

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Wow... first guard ever.

IMO this is basically giving the award to the entire O-line... They just had to pick a guy.

Hammock Parties
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
My favorite new play that the Chiefs run is the little stretch run to Dante Hall. Green hands the ball off to Dante on the backside going away from the play as Waters pulls off left tackle. They've run it 3 or 4 times this year for good yards every time.

tk13
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Pretty neat, isn't it?

Bowser
10-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Congrats to Waters! I bet the rest of the O-Line demand that he takes them out to dinner! Wouldn't want THAT bill.......

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Congrats to Waters! I bet the rest of the O-Line demand that he takes them out to dinner! Wouldn't want THAT bill.......
Haha.. yeah. I wonder if they still "fine" each other for getting their names in the paper. This would be a hefty fine....

Deberg_1990
10-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow...thats great news! Nice to see the NFL showing some love to an offensive lineman.

NewChief
10-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Haha.. yeah. I wonder if they still "fine" each other for getting their names in the paper. This would be a hefty fine....

I'm pretty sure they do, and a lot of them are going to be paying fines after this week. I know that Welbourne gave a postgame interview, which is another fineable offense.

Oh well, they use all the money at the end of the year for a party, anyway.

Bob Dole
10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Very cool.

HC_Chief
10-26-2004, 03:39 PM
I think it's great for Brian, a guy hardly mentioned (which is a great thing for OL); but how did they determine he gets the nod over the other four dominators?

R&GHomer
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Way to go Waters. Another DV success story.

mikey23545
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Very cool.

Indubitably.

The Rick
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
I think it's great for Brian, a guy hardly mentioned (which is a great thing for OL); but how did they determine he gets the nod over the other four dominators?
Many people including Peter King (yeah, I know...) believe Waters is not only the best guard on the team (ahead of Shields) but is the best lineman on the team over all (Roaf, etc.).

the Talking Can
10-26-2004, 03:45 PM
awesome....he'll get to the probowl this year

morphius
10-26-2004, 03:57 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing, that is gonna be one hell of a party they have at the end of the year with all the money that is going to be in there.

teedubya
10-26-2004, 04:14 PM
awesome, there goes Brian Waters Salary...

the Talking Can
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
awesome, there goes Brian Waters Salary...

didn't we recently re-sign him?

Los Raiders
10-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Props from a fan who knows a thing or two about great offensive linemen (Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto, Steve Wiesniewski, Max Montoya, Don Mosebar, Lincoln Kennedy, Ron Stone and the new stud Robert Gallery)

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 04:18 PM
didn't we recently re-sign him?Yeah, we did. I think he was refering to the O-line's self imposed fines.

irishjayhawk
10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Great for Waters, it seems everyone has gotten love. Wiegmann, Roaf and Shields got the Announcers attention while Waters picks up the award. Welbourn and Bober didn't play, just when surrounded by a consistant crew and ProBowlers up and down, its hard to be mentioned, especially with only 6 games as a Chief.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Props from a fan who knows a thing or two about great offensive linemen (Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto, Steve Wiesniewski, Max Montoya, Don Mosebar, Lincoln Kennedy, Ron Stone and the new stud Robert Gallery)
Nice post, thanks.

I never would have thought you could call an offensive line "fun to watch", but these guys really are. When they bring their "A game", it's just a thing of beauty.

Zebedee DuBois
10-26-2004, 05:05 PM
That rabbit is crazy!

Bob Dole
10-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh great. Now the offensive linemen are stealing Larry's attention.

GODDAMNIT CARL!

stevieray
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Foster could win if they handed out awards for cheating.

2bikemike
10-26-2004, 05:32 PM
So I wonder if Waters is going to get fined by his line mates for all the attention he is getting. I assume they still do that with one another.

andoman
10-26-2004, 05:33 PM
The Chiefs followed the lead of the Waters and his linemates as the Chiefs rushed 49 times for 271 yards

New nickname?

bricks
10-26-2004, 05:37 PM

That's what buffets are for. I'd hate to be the cook working in that buffet restaurant I'll tell ya. :)

Nightfyre
10-26-2004, 07:00 PM
That's what buffets are for. I'd hate to be the cook working in that buffet restaurant I'll tell ya. :)
No the women are definitely the expensive part of an NFL oline party....

Hydrae
10-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Waters Wins AFC Offensive Player of the Week Honor
Oct 26, 2004, 3:06:31 PM

The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Tuesday that G Brian Waters has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday. It marked the first time since the inception of the award in ‘84 that an offensive lineman has been selected as the AFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Waters is the first guard to be named the Offensive Player of the Week in either conference. The only previous offensive linemen to win the honor all played tackle in thebrian waters NFC. Waters is the first offensive linemen to win Offensive Player of the Week honors since Dallas T Erik Williams (Week 9 – ‘92). N.Y. Giants T Brad Benson (Week 14 – ‘86), and Washington T Jim Lachey (Week 13 – ‘90) also won the NFC award.

Waters (6-3, 318) was part of an offensive line that paved the way for Kansas City to score an NFL single-game record eight rushing touchdowns in a 56-10 victory vs. Atlanta. He was joined on the starting offensive line by LT Willie Roaf, C Casey Wiegmann, RG Will Shields and RT John Welbourn. The Chiefs followed the lead of the Waters and his linemates as the Chiefs rushed 49 times for 271 yards against the Falcons, who led the NFL in rushing defense entering the game. Kansas City’s 49 rushing attempts were the club’s most since having 57 vs. Seattle (11/5/89) and its 271 rushing yards were the team’s most since having 310 vs. Detroit (10/14/90). (Vote! Priest Holmes Ground Player of the Week!)

The North Texas product proved vital to the Chiefs offensive attack as Waters opened holes for his running backs to follow. The Chiefs eight touchdowns via the ground were the most ever scored in an NFL game. RBs Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock each scored four times to became the first pair of teammates in NFL history to each score four rushing touchdowns in the same game. Kansas City’s 56 points tied as the second-highest total in team history and were the most points ever scored by the club at Arrowhead.

Waters is the Chiefs second AFC Offensive Player of the Week winner in 2004. He joins Holmes who won the honor following a 27-24 win vs. Baltimore (10/4).

What's with the subliminals? :hmmm:

Crush
10-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Awesome. :thumb:

KHinz57
10-26-2004, 10:01 PM
The only problem is, about Brian Waters going to the Pro Bowl, it's more likely that Will Shields would go because he's gone for so many years in a row. When was the last time an offensive line was so good, both it's guards went to the Pro Bowl. I know tackles and guards go, but I've never seen a combination of 2 tackles or 2 guards. Until Shields retires, it might not happen for him. However, a guard was selected for AFC Offensive Player of Week, which has never happened before.