PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Lost my CD-Rom Drive???

dollar1
10-27-2004, 03:33 PM
It won't open or anything, lays there like a turd.

I tried to run a disk that was already in the drawer, "Unable to detect a CD in the drawer..."

Went to My Computer Information - Hardware, under CD-ROM Drive = Not Installed.

I have an identical computer at my other workstation and found the path for the drivers C:\Windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, found that file also on the broke 'puter.

I tried to install a device and it doesn't give me a choice to install a cd-rom?

WTF???

~not gonna crawl under my rock :banghead: ~

Skip Towne
10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Some druggies prolly stole it.

Hydrae
10-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Have you tried whistling for it?

Smoke signals?

Flares?

;)

Good luck, I will let one of the more tech savvy peeps around here give you better advice than I would.

laser1972
10-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Depending how old it is, its probably dead. Do you see any of the lights on in the front?.. Also, most should have a pin hole that use can use a paper clip and force an eject.. If nothing works, its time for a new one which now is pretty cheap being 15-$20.00 or a CDRW for $30.00 or so (check Sundays adds)....

You might open your case and make sure all the connections are secure including the power and cable that goes from the cd drive to your motherboard..

Hope that helps

If the computer doesnt see it and it is on, get a new one

dollar1
10-27-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm sure I can get the drawer to open anyway :$2500:

dollar1
10-27-2004, 03:45 PM
That was what I was thinking...just up and died on me. No notice either. Pretty crappy thing to do.

Nope, no lights. It is 3 yrs old. This is probably the excuse I need to go get another machine.

I guess as a last resort, I'll check the cables. I left the system on last night for some auto updates. It was working fine. This morning...dead.

Thanks. I'll try that pin hole deal.

~still not crawling under my rock~

Mr. Laz
10-27-2004, 03:47 PM
make sure it has power

it is plugged into the power supply?

does the little power dot come on?

if so, then like laser said... prolly dead

they are very cheap for just a normal CDROM

dollar1
10-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Tucked in a cabinet, cords barely reaching to the back. I pull it out, everything comes unplugged. :banghead:

I don't have time to mess with it tonight. I'll bust into it tomorrow.

I was hoping you guys could wave a magic wand or something, some cute little key strokes to get it going.

I guess you all aren't as good as I thought you would be :p

~now I'll crawl back under my rock into Lurker mode~

Phobia
10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
If you live close, I'll bring my reciprocating saw by....

dollar1
10-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Phob, Thanks for reminding me...that is Broke Dick too. Froze it up building my D@#$ Deck this last summer.

Please nobody else respond. You'll just make me feel worse :deevee:

~Back into the dark~

dollar1
10-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Anybody know how to get my disk out of a Broke Dick Lame Non-opening MoFo Cd-rom drive?

~keeping my head out~

Mr. Laz
10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
CD stuck within drive

It is possible that a CD may have become stuck within the CD-ROM drive, if the CD-ROM drive has a small hole that is not the head phone jack, using a paper clip, place the paper clip within the hole and attempt to manually eject the CD-ROM tray.

If the CD-ROM drive is only partially able to be opened attempt to pull the tray gently to see if it can be manually ejected. If it cannot be opened any further it is likely that the gears within the CD-ROM drive have become bad or dislodged or that a CD is positioned in the drive which does not allow it to open.

they discuss CDRom issues here:
http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/173.shtml

GMitch
10-27-2004, 04:34 PM
My computer stopped recognizing my cd drive a couple of years ago. I went to the Compaq web site to look for help. It said, re-start the computer and try to eject the disk while the initial Compaq screen is up (before windows starts). Sounded dumb, but it worked. I guess the problem was in windows rather than hardware.

dollar1
10-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, that was that.

I don't need to talk to anybody else. IT'S DEFINATELY BROKE NOW. The hole thingie wasn't there. And I had tried opening it in the start up sequence.

but, I WANTED MY FLIPPING DISK. BROKE OFF THE DOOR. GOT A SCREW DRIVER AND PRIED OUT THE DRAWER. SAID DISK STAYED IN AT THE BACK. YANKED THE DRAWER COMPLETELY OUTTA THE BOX. DISK IS STILL STUCK. GOT THE TWEESIERS FROM THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE AND CAREFULLY EXTRACTED THE DISK...

Disk is got a half dime sized part almost broken off

So, I've got a broke door on the floor. A broke drawer on the floor. And my PRIZED DIABLO II EXPANSION SET DISK F#$KED UP AS WELL.

Can I glue the disk back together?

The heck with the cd eating CD-Rom...I'm going to get a new system :banghead:

Saulbadguy
10-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Tip for the future: When you have a disk stuck in a dead drive, there is a little hole on the front of the CD-ROM drive that you can push a paper clip through, and it will eject the drawer.

Hydrae
10-27-2004, 06:10 PM
dollar, do a google search for a no cd patch and you can still play the game without the CD. Since you already own the CD I don't think there are any legal ramifications involved either.

Try this one for starters: http://www.gameburnworld.com/dl/dl.php?file=Diablo2v1.0NoCDPatchEng.ZIP

dollar1
10-28-2004, 08:30 AM
You just made my day. Not that I want to waste it playing a stupid game.

Yea, I do. At least maybe a little ROFL

~slowly going under my rock...the whiskey last night didn't help~

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Did anyone mention the little hole you can stick a paperclip in? ROFL ROFL

dollar1
10-28-2004, 08:41 AM
I looked. Really.

Ah Ha, 'course I couldn't find the hole. There's no hair around it :deevee:

~under rock, I can smell 400~