NewChief
10-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Hopefully these haven't been posted yet:
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2004/10/27/qa_qb_trent_green/

Q&A QB Trent Green
Oct 27, 2004, 3:19:56 PM

INDIANAPOLIS CONFERENCE CALL

Q: How the season is going so far?

GREEN: “Not as well as we had hoped to have it going, but we got a win last week and hopefully we’ll try and regain some momentum.”

Q: How do you create a consistent performance every week?

GREEN: “That’s what we’ve been looking for. I think if you look at the last four games this season, I’ve been pretty consistent, not as consistent the first two games, and that’s something I’ve really been focusing on the last few weeks, is to maintain some consistency. From a quarterback standpoint, a lot of it is what you do year after year. It’s not a one-hit wonder kind of thing. You want to try to put good years back-to-back-to back and just keep going. The last couple of years, it’s been that way and so, this season, I’ve been trying to build on that and continue to move forward.”

Q: Was the game plan to have as many rushes (49) as you had against Atlanta?

GREEN: “We went in and we wanted to run the ball. We wanted to come out and emphasize that, and I think if you look early at the game plan, that’s what we did. And then once the game, from a score standpoint started to get out of hand, then you pretty much abandon the pass altogether. I think in the fourth quarter, we attempted one, maybe two passes and really didn’t do that much in the third quarter. Once you get to a certain point, that may be why it was so leveraged towards the run, because the score in the second half. If you look at the first half, we did a better job of mixing the run and pass. And that’s when we have the most success.”

Q: How big a boost was it to get the big win last week?

GREEN: “It was real big. It was real big. It’s something that we needed, more so than the score and the way everything happened, just the fact that we needed a win. It didn’t matter if it was a 7-3 game or 10-7 game or whatever it may be, it just so happens it ended up the way it did. And it was more important for us to just find a way to get a win, because sitting at 2-4, it would be much better sitting in the position (Indianapolis is in) at 4-2, that’s for sure.”

Q: What does Dick Vermeil bring to the team and what do you see that has made him so successful?

GREEN: “You just have to be yourself and coach the way you want to coach and don’t try being someone else. I think that’s something the players appreciate the most, when you have a guy like Coach Vermeil, who does get emotional and obviously takes a little heat for it, but that’s who he is, and he’s very genuine. Guys enjoy playing for him because they know where they stand. There’s no hidden agendas, and if he has something to tell you, good or bad, he’s going to tell you, and I think guys respect that.”

Q: Is Vermeil a demanding coach then?

GREEN: “Very demanding. He has very high expectations in terms of our preparation. I’d be hard-pressed to find another team in the league that practices as long as we do and the number of reps that we do and the amount of time during the week. There’s some weeks that we have to shorten it because of injuries, but for the most part, players just understand that (Coach Vermeil) has his way. Every now and then he throws us a bone, but for the most part, everybody knows that Coach is all about hard work and putting in time, and that’s just the way he is.”

Q: What is it about the atmosphere at Arrowhead that makes it such a daunting place to visit for an opposing team?

GREEN: “The best example I can give is it’s more of a college atmosphere. The people just love football here. When you have 30,000 people in the stadium or in the parking lot, already tailgating by 8 or 9 in the morning… it’s an incredible feeling when you’re driving in on game day and you already see the smoke going through the air. People just have a passion for football here, and I think that’s what makes it so special. Obviously, Indianapolis was able to adapt to that and adjust to that very well in the playoff game. But, one of the things I got from a lot of those guys, from when we were at the Pro Bowl and went to coaching staff of the Colts, they could not believe the atmosphere that Arrowhead had. And I think – they all obviously got the win, so they enjoyed their visit – but just from an overall football standpoint, a lot of those guys had an appreciation for what Arrowhead brings and what type of place it is to play in.”

Q: Are you awed at the numbers Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper are putting up so far this season?

GREEN: “Yeah, it’s mind-boggling. And that’s just really the way those two offenses are focused. The focus of those offenses is passing and getting down to the Red Zone. The weapons both of those teams have in terms of their receiving corps and quarterbacks, that dictates that’s their strong suit. Our strong suit in the red zone tends to be our running game and Priest (Holmes’) ability to be able to get into the end zone. He proved that last year with setting the record, and this past weekend he set another record. People talk for years about Marcus Allen, even though he wasn’t the biggest, most powerful back. He just had a way of finding his way into the end zone, and I think the same can be said for Priest. He isn’t necessarily the most overpowering back. He doesn’t run over many people, but he just finds a way to get in and certain backs just have that ability. That’s really what our strength is.”

Q: Are you using last year’s loss in the playoffs as motivation for this week’s game?

GREEN: “I think the whole revenge thing is something that everybody’s trying to drum up and make a bigger story than it needs to be. I think the way we’re looking at it is, we’re a 2-4 football team and we need to find ways to win every week, no matter how it may be, whether it be offense steps up, defense steps up or special teams, or like last week, all three phases. We’re just in a situation right now where we dug ourselves such a big hole at the beginning of the season; we can’t focus so much on getting revenge or whatever that may be. I just know that last year, that playoff game was such a great game and I know the fans had to enjoy it on both sides. Even though we lost the game, that was really just a classic game, and I think one that everybody enjoyed. It was played clean, it was played fair and there wasn’t anything that stands out in anybody’s mind from a bad standpoint. It was just a great game, and it took me a long time to accept that. It took me well after the Pro Bowl. I went back and watched some tape again, but I watched it from a different perspective… I started watching it from a fan’s perspective and just said, ‘That was a great game, on both sides of the ball.’ But coming back to this year, our main focus is not really a revenge thing, because right now, Indianapolis is sitting at 4-2 and we’re at 2-4, and we’re just trying to claw our way out of the hole we dug.”

Q: What is your take on the belief that Peyton Manning needs to win in a big game before becoming one of the league best QBs?

GREEN: “I think sometimes that can be a little overrated. I think what Peyton has been able to do just speaks volumes about the type of player he is, for the type of organization and offense the Colts have put together. First, they said he couldn’t win big games or a playoff game, so he won one. Then, they said, well he can’t win one on the road. Then, he comes to Arrowhead and wins a big one on the road. Now, all of a sudden, he can’t win the really big one. So, what’s the difference between big and really big? I think he’s proven himself, and from my standpoint, having that one opportunity, I felt real good about how I played in that playoff game. I thought I made a lot of good decisions and put our team in a position to win or give us an opportunity to win. And to try to do more than that, that’s when you start getting yourself in trouble, start creating turnovers or work outside of the offense. And that’s when I’ve been able to have the most success, when I stay within the game plan or stay within that set play and not try all of a sudden to be a miracle maker in terms of working outside of the framework of the play.”

ROYC75
10-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Green handles himself well in an intervew. Me wonders if he has coaching or a football broadcasting analysis when he retires ?

Katie
10-28-2004, 08:30 AM
"I started watching it from a fan’s perspective "

Interesting that he watched the game from a fan's perspective and didn't see any bad points. I was in the stands for that game, and I don't recall many of the KC fans enjoying that game...

NewChief
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
"I started watching it from a fan’s perspective "

Interesting that he watched the game from a fan's perspective and didn't see any bad points. I was in the stands for that game, and I don't recall many of the KC fans enjoying that game...

I'd say he was talking about, "fan of the game" rather than "fan of the Chiefs."

It was a fun scorefest; a shootout between two high-powered offenses and two inferior defenses.